The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings General Discussion (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Royal Wedding Rings - Left Or Right Hand? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/royal-wedding-rings-left-or-right-hand-32715.html)

CharlotteAmalia 03-03-2012 01:23 PM

Royal Wedding Rings - Left Or Right Hand?

Where do members of royalty wear their wedding rings? On the left hand or the right hand?

I checked some wedding pictures:
Duchess Catherine is wearing her ring on the left hand.
Victoria and Daniel also left hand.
Charlene and Albert also left hand.
Infanta Elena wore her engagement ring on the right hand. (although engagement rings are mostly worn on the left hand; Noblesse & Royautés » Les bagues de fiançailles du Gotha )
Ari Behn and Märtha Louise wear their ring on the right hand.
Letizia seems to wear her wedding band on the right hand: 260782-felipe-d-espagne-letizia-d-espagne-et-637x0-2.jpg (image)

Where else do we know it?

In Germany on most people are wearing their wedding rings on the ring finger of the right hand. But this is individual. It seems to be connected to nationality and tradition.
See also on wikipedia:
Quote:

In Western cultures, a wedding ring is traditionally worn on the ring finger. This developed from the Roman "annulus pronubis" when the man gave a ring to the woman at the betrothal ceremony. According to tradition in some countries (derived from Roman belief), the wedding ring is worn on the left ring finger because the vein in the left ring finger, referred to as the vena amoris, was believed to be directly connected to the heart, a symbol of love. Blessing the wedding ring and putting it on the bride's finger dates from the 11th century. In medieval Europe, the Christian wedding ceremony placed the ring in sequence on the index, middle, and ring fingers of the left hand. The ring was then left on the ring finger. In a few European countries, the ring is worn on the left hand prior to marriage, then transferred to the right during the ceremony. For example, a Greek Orthodox bride wears the ring on the left hand prior to the ceremony, then moves it to the right hand after the wedding. In England, the 1549 Prayer Book declared "the ring shall be placed on the left hand". By the 17th and 18th centuries the ring could be found on any finger after the ceremony — even on the thumb.
In some Orthodox Christian countries, the wedding ring is worn on the ring finger of the right hand.[2]
Several traditions exist in traditional Jewish wedding ceremonies: most commonly today, the ring is placed on the index finger; but other traditions record placing it of the middle finger or the thumb.[3] Today the ring usually is moved to the ring finger after the ceremony. Some Jewish grooms have adopted wearing a wedding ring.
A wedding ring is not a traditional part of the religious Muslim wedding; wedding rings are not included in most Islamic countries. However, if a wedding ring is worn in an Islamic country, it may be worn on either the left (such is the custom in Iran) or the right ring finger. As opposed to the wedding ring, use of a ring to denote betrothal or engagement is quite prevalent in Muslim countries, especially those in West and South Asia.
Rings are not traditional in an Indian wedding. In modern society, it is becoming a practice though to wear rings for engagements and not for actual marriage. Though the left hand is considered inauspicious for religious activities, ring (not to be called wedding ring) is still worn in the left hand.
In Sinhala and Tamil culture groom wears the wedding ring on his right hand and bride wears it on her left hand ring finger. This can be seen in countries like Sri Lanka where there is a rich Sinhala and Tamil cultural influence in the society. [4]

I talked with a friend about one which side to wear the wedding ring. I wear mine on the right hand and my husband too.

I liked it more on the right hand, because it is the "better" hand. You use your right hand to swear, to greet somebody.. And also a morganatic marriage is called in German (Ehe zur linken Hand) literally "marriage with the left hand"/ left-handed marriage. (see also: Morganatic marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) My husband has an injury (from school PE) on his ring finger of the left hand, so it is uncomfortably form him to wear rings on the left hand.

What are your traditons and opinions?

CharlotteAmalia 03-03-2012 01:54 PM

Right hand as well:
- Haakon and Mette-Marit min: 4:12 of the video
Kronprinsparets bryllup - YouTube

- Letizia and Felipe Min 1:30 of video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaKax...eature=related

- Cristina and Inaki Min
min: 4:13 of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl9gbEi6qxg

- Willem-Alexander und Maxima:
min 12:00 of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwiek...feature=relmfu

imojeen 03-20-2012 05:22 PM

In our culture, engaged people wear ring on right hand. Married people wear it on left hand. It depends on people but mostly it is like I said.

lancchick 03-20-2012 05:41 PM

This topic is apropos. I'm American and we wear our wedding rings on the left hand. I recently saw my brother and he was wearing his wedding ring on his RIGHT hand. I asked, "Why?" He said it's funny I asked since I'm only one of three people to ever inquire. He's in the US Army and was stationed in Germany for a total of eight years. He wears the ring on his right hand and his bulky college class ring on his left since it's more comfortable to shake hands with a smaller, smooth band than a jagged class ring. And because Germans wear their wedding rings on the right hand. Which I did not know!

Apparently he's been doing this for six years and his wife just noticed a week ago!!! :lol: :flowers:

COUNTESS 03-20-2012 09:41 PM

It is all culture. No right or wrong. Here in the States, we wear it on our left hand.

PrincessKaimi 03-20-2012 10:49 PM

Here, we wear both engagement and wedding rings on the left hand, because the vein in it is said to run directly up to the heart.

My dad says, however, that it's because most people are right-handed and it's safer there. Also, if one takes one's rings off to do tasks, it's more natural to use the dominant hand to pull the ring off (my dad's view - he's 94).

There is no right or wrong to this, of course, but it is interesting how different cultures have different rules about it (and the ring finger remains the ring finger in most of them).

imojeen 03-21-2012 01:04 PM

Is there any married royal not wearing ring?

KittyAtlanta 03-21-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COUNTESS (Post 1389665)
It is all culture. No right or wrong. Here in the States, we wear it on our left hand.

Clarification: Most people wear it on their left hand, some on the right to honor their ancestral culture. Some wear none at all (men AND women (including me)). I have beautiful wedding jewelry, but off it came about 3 weeks after the wedding. My love wore his, but never complained about me not wearing mine.

Lmarch 03-21-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imojeen (Post 1389934)

Imogene, Neither Prince William or Charles wear wedding rings.

Smush 03-21-2012 03:14 PM

Charles did when he was married to Diana. On the left Hand on his little finger where he wears his seal Ring.

Blue_ 03-21-2012 03:36 PM

My father have his on the left hand and my mother on the right ;) And I think I'll have it on the right.

emmalisa 03-21-2012 04:49 PM

I know some who wear their wedding ring on their left hand, but if widowed, transfer the ring to their right hand. Custom that I find quite nice.

KittyAtlanta 03-21-2012 04:54 PM

I don't think any of the men in QEII's family wear wedding rings on the "common" ring finger. They may have belly rings or something else...

LauraS3514 03-21-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta (Post 1390050)
I don't think any of the men in QEII's family wear wedding rings on the "common" ring finger. They may have belly rings or something else...

Not in the immediate family anyway. However, both George V and Edward VII wore wedding rings on their left hands IIRC.

Sternchen 03-22-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancchick
And because Germans wear their wedding rings on the right hand. Which I did not know!

That's right, in Germany, you wear the engagement ring in your left hand, and your wedding band on your right hand :)

Patra 03-22-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternchen (Post 1390416)
That's right, in Germany, you wear the engagement ring in your left hand, and your wedding band on your right hand :)

I did not know that either- very interesting. My friend is from Germany, but has lived in the US for nearly 30 years, and wears her wedding ring on her left second finger.

Lady Felicity M 04-06-2012 08:01 AM

In my home contry Australia, we wear both our wedding ring and engadgment ring on our left. I know a few women that choose to wear just thier wedding ring and thier husbnds don't wear a ring at all just like Prince William.

Artemisia 04-06-2012 08:03 AM

In Armenia, the engagement and wedding rings are worn on the left ring finger as well. However, most people tend not to wear any rings at all. Engagement ring is usually worn only from the moment of engagement and until wedding, while wearing wedding band is optional for women and men alike.

sheikah deena 04-07-2012 01:58 AM

But in Middle East The Engagement Ring Worn In Right Finger and in Wedding Changes to the Left Finger ;) :flowers:

cdm 04-07-2012 07:31 AM

In a documentary about Willem-Alexander and Máxima's 10th wedding aniversary it was said that Dutch protestant people wear their wedding ring on their right hand.
W-A and M also put the rings on their right hands at their wedding day. But now they always wear their ring on their left hand, this was said to be the Catholic way and they were asking if it had something to do with M being a Catholic.
The documentary makers concluded that it might have to do with the fact that they have to shake so many hands so it's more comfortable with no ring on the hand you shake with.

plseyw 04-08-2012 04:14 PM

In Holland if you Are Catholic you wear your wedding ring on your right hand and if you are Protestant on your right.

Princess BellyFlop 04-08-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plseyw (Post 1397675)
In Holland if you Are Catholic you wear your wedding ring on your right hand and if you are Protestant on your right.

So both wear it on the right hand or did you mean something else?

Sternchen 04-09-2012 06:23 PM

I have Never heard that it is a catholic Thing to wear your wedding band in your left hand?

Lady Felicity M 04-12-2012 01:27 AM

Question: Do you prefer Diamonds on the wedding band or a plain wedding band?

AlanR 05-04-2012 06:48 AM

I thought if you were a Lutheran you wore your wedding band on your right hand
Never heard of Catholics doing the same ....

Jenafran 05-04-2012 10:32 PM

In the US catholics wear wedding jewelry on the left hand.

Cinderella5x 05-04-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta (Post 1389980)
Clarification: Most people wear it on their left hand, some on the right to honor their ancestral culture. Some wear none at all (men AND women (including me)). I have beautiful wedding jewelry, but off it came about 3 weeks after the wedding. My love wore his, but never complained about me not wearing mine.

You do not wear anything, no wedding band, no engagement ring?

Duchess of Durham 05-04-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinderella5x (Post 1407833)
You do not wear anything, no wedding band, no engagement ring?

A friend of mine doesn't where her wedding ring as she is allergic to gold. She told her husband that when he buys her a platinum wedding band for her, she will wear that. So far, no ring.

Cinderella5x 05-05-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham (Post 1407836)
A friend of mine doesn't where her wedding ring as she is allergic to gold. She told her husband that when he buys her a platinum wedding band for her, she will wear that. So far, no ring.

What about a silver one? Is she alergic to silver as well?

Sternchen 05-06-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanR
I thought if you were a Lutheran you wore your wedding band on your right hand
Never heard of Catholics doing the same ....

Does it really have to do with Religion? I am catholic and wear it on the right hand.

Grandma828 05-06-2012 01:47 PM

It seems to be more a cultural thing, not a religous thing. In the US most people wear wedding rings on the left hand.

LadyFinn 05-06-2012 02:27 PM

We Finns wear both the engagement and the wedding ring in our left hand, at the ring finger.

Mirabel 05-06-2012 03:01 PM

I don't wear rings because of allergies, but the ring is only a symbol anyway. You are just as married whether you wear it or not, so what does it matter?

SilviaS 05-16-2012 02:35 AM

In Sweden most (all?) people wear their rings, both engagement and wedding on the left hand. Queen Silvia wears hers on the left hand. The King doesn't wear a wedding ring.

Noble Consort Ming 06-22-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenafran (Post 1407829)
In the US catholics wear wedding jewelry on the left hand.

Not true for all catholics in the US. It depends where they come from. My parents were married in the catholic church and wore theirs on their right hands because they are Polish. Not all Polish people in the US do this but those there were born in Poland usually do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma828 (Post 1408301)
It seems to be more a cultural thing, not a religous thing. In the US most people wear wedding rings on the left hand.

Except in some countries the tradition is based on religion with catholics wearing rings on one hand and protestants on the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternchen (Post 1408297)
Does it really have to do with Religion? I am catholic and wear it on the right hand.

In some countries, yes. It's not a rule but the traditions in some places are based on your religion.

russell85 10-31-2012 02:28 AM

Wedding ring - right hand or left hand?

I wear a white gold chain and one of 18ct diamond rings.

Mermaid1962 10-31-2012 02:32 AM

There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.

dbarn67 10-31-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 1478768)
There's an artery or vein that goes from the heart to the left ring finger. I'd read somewhere that this is why the ring is worn by many people on the left hand.

This is what I heard as well.

Meraude 10-31-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 1478768)

All arteries goes from the heart out to every part of the body, and all veins goes from every part of the body to the heart. Before people were aware of how the blood circulates in the body, there was an belief that there was a special vein, vena amoris (vein of love) that connected the fourth finger of the left hand with the heart. Here you can read more about on what finger people wear their wedding ring: Your Wedding Ring…Left or Right Hand? « Greek Weddings and Traditions

AnnEliza 11-18-2012 09:34 PM

Americans generally wear both rings on the left ring finger. I was told by my mother to wear my engagement ring on my right ring finger during the wedding ceremony so that the wedding ring goes onto the bare left finger as part of the ceremony, and then afterwards you switch the engagement ring to be worn above the wedding ring on the left. But some people leave the engagement ring below and add the wedding ring on top on the left. And some don't have an engagement ring.
Some widows switch the rings to the right hand, some stop wearing them. My mother has been widowed for six years but still wears her rings on the left. But she is 85 and doesn't want to change.
My best friend has been married 34 years and doesn't wear any kind of wedding ring.

Nice Nofret 11-18-2012 10:30 PM

I wore my wedding ring on my right hand (german tradition), but it was uncomfortable (as I'm righthanded) with handshaking and some doorhandles scratched etc so I transferred it to my left hand - which fits in nicely with Swiss tradition *grin* ...

My father wore his wedding band on the little finger together with his Siegel-Ring (probably on his right hand - but I would have to check on fotos).

I prefer a plain small wedding ring - so it is comfortable and wearable, I never take mine off.

Rice 01-23-2013 07:38 AM

In the US, most people wear both on their left hands.

Catherine Helvin 10-30-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imojeen (Post 1389934)

Yes, the Duke of Cambridge.

Molly2101 10-30-2013 08:45 AM

I still don't understand why William doesn't wear his wedding ring. His father wore one for his marriage to Diana and now to Camilla, and Andrew wore his signet ring and wedding ring for his marriage and Edward wears both on his left pinky. Prince Philip used to wear one but lost his and never replaced it. His cousin Peter wears his as does Mike. It's odd that he is the only Windsor who doesn't wear one... Having said that, does Tim wear one?

I may be old fashioned, but I am off the mind that wedding rings are significant.

princess gertrude 10-30-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 1613772)
I still don't understand why William doesn't wear his wedding ring. His father wore one for his marriage to Diana and now to Camilla, and Andrew wore his signet ring and wedding ring for his marriage and Edward wears both on his left pinky. Prince Philip used to wear one but lost his and never replaced it. His cousin Peter wears his as does Mike. It's odd that he is the only Windsor who doesn't wear one... Having said that, does Tim wear one?

I may be old fashioned, but I am off the mind that wedding rings are significant.

You're not the only old fashioned one here. I too am a believer in wedding rings, for both men and women. If my husband leaves home without his he gets "the look" from me. For me it's an outward symbol of a promise I made to my husband and he to me.

muriel 10-30-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess gertrude (Post 1613834)
You're not the only old fashioned one here. I too am a believer in wedding rings, for both men and women. If my husband leaves home without his he gets "the look" from me. For me it's an outward symbol of a promise I made to my husband and he to me.

I think it varies from person to person. I know somebody who finds it difficult to wear a ring as his fingers swell up sporadically. I think it really is not significant, in this day and age.

Jacknch 10-30-2013 02:53 PM

My grandad wore a wedding ring and he married in 1917! I still have it - it's tiny and only fits on my little finger.

Duchess of Durham 10-30-2013 03:01 PM

I told my husband that if he did not want a wedding he did not have to have one. It's only a symbol, I care more about what is in his heart. He wanted one and I was okay with that too.

sarahedwards2 10-30-2013 04:12 PM

My mom doesn't wear hers anymore because her finger has gotten "too fat". My dad still wears his; it used to have a small diamond in the centre but it fell out. On his right pinky is his iron ring that all engineers get when they graduate, which was 35 years ago for him.

Ish 10-30-2013 09:42 PM

I read an article on men wearing wedding rings with a tie-in-to William just the other day actually.

https://www.askmen.com/entertainment/...ing-rings.html

ashelen 10-30-2013 11:06 PM

I remember that my husband brought from his trip to Brazil an emerald ring and I took it as engagement ring and I place it in the right hand because fit me better, when we married in England I put it in the same hand, he didn't want a wedding ring, because he thinks they look like a curtain ring, he doesn't like to use rings, so I did not insist I thought it was ok because he got me the ring and married me! after a few years he brought me from other trip a diamond stone and I have a ring made with that stone for the left hand. and I took it as a wedding ring too, as he doesn't want to use one , I use 2 rings in both hands for both of us!

Osipi 10-30-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 1613946)
I remember that my husband brought from his trip to Brazil an emerald ring and I took it as engagement ring and I place it in the right hand because fit me better, when we married in England I put it in the same hand, he didn't want a wedding ring, because he thinks they look like a curtain ring, he doesn't like to use rings, so I did not insist I thought it was ok because he got me the ring and married me! after a few years he brought me from other trip a diamond stone and I have a ring made with that stone for the left hand. and I took it as a wedding ring too, as he doesn't want to use one , I use 2 rings in both hands for both of us!

Beautiful story and with so much sentiment!

Lady Kathleen 10-31-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

I still don't understand why William doesn't wear his wedding ring. His father wore one for his marriage to Diana and now to Camilla, and Andrew wore his signet ring and wedding ring for his marriage and Edward wears both on his left pinky. Prince Philip used to wear one but lost his and never replaced it. His cousin Peter wears his as does Mike. It's odd that he is the only Windsor who doesn't wear one... Having said that, does Tim wear one? I may be old fashioned, but I am off the mind that wedding rings are significant.

Men wearing wedding rings is not very old-fashioned. It's a relatively new tradition (since the early 20th century).

Osipi 10-31-2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Kathleen (Post 1613983)
Men wearing wedding rings is not very old-fashioned. It's a relatively new tradition (since the early 20th century).

For centuries its been that a wife was "under" or as an ownership of the man. Its how it was. It is actually a sanctioned part of a lot of religions. The man takes a bride and its like taking ownership of the female.

As a fact, my avatar of a claddagh ring is something that was traditionally handed down from mother to daughter so I was told when my mom gave me mine from Galway. Men never ever thought of wearing them until the last part of the 20th century. This information I gleaned from talking to a friend from North Ireland. He got the ring from his mother. Now the claddagh is used widely as wedding rings and I do think most use it for its symbolism and not the historical agenda that comes with it. Its how times change and the traditions are blurred and absorbed.

Men and rings are the same. Its personal. For all we know, Wills wears a ring um.. somewhere else. The one that matters to us is that it does appear that her ring is around his heart.

Skippyboo 10-31-2013 03:19 PM

Kate's dad Mike doesn't appear to wear a wedding ring either. It probably wasn't a big deal for her. Plus when a billion people watched your wedding on tv, you can't really play the take off your wedding ring and act like a single guy card.

LadyGabrielle 10-31-2013 03:41 PM

I suppose it depends on the individual and what they believe. I dont remember my father ever wearing a ring although my mom did. Kind of strange I guess. I guess if people are comfortable with not wearing a ring then so be it. A ring to me is the symbol of an oath or a promise made between two people, in front of friends and family and in the site of God, to be faithful and to respect and honour eachother for the rest of your lives. I have always seen the ring as a very important part of marriage even though it may seem trivial and silly to some. I was hoping that when William married he was going to have a ring and I was rather surprised he didnt considering they are such a modern couple. But, again, to each his own.

Grandma828 10-31-2013 04:40 PM

I married back in the 1950's and my husband has a wedding ring, but he worked in a factory and could not wear it to work. As long as they act married it doesn't really matter. It is a lovely symbol, but action speak louder than words.

Jacknch 10-31-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 1613946)

Oh what a nice husband! There is something rather romantic about being bought a precious stone from far away and having it made into a ring, with such sentiment and importance!

russell85 03-27-2014 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternchen (Post 1398113)
I have Never heard that it is a catholic Thing to wear your wedding band in your left hand?

ya i also never heard like this.

Winnie 03-27-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Kathleen (Post 1613983)

You are correct and it was mostly a Christian tradition which was then incorporated into the service in the Book Of Common Prayers. Prior to that any piece of jewelry was given to a bride by groom {Brooch, earrings, necklace} just to mark the event. The bride would have a dowry given to the groom's parents from the bride's parents. That event was much more important in the marriage years ago. The larger the dowry, the better the standing in society. Actually hate that awful tradition. It was like the bride's father had to "pay" for someone to take his daughter off his hands! That was very common right up to the 1850. Today it has been updated where the bride's parents provide a "reception" for friends and relatives who all brings gifts and checks to new couple replacing the dowry.

There was a wonderful book on this subject titled "Courtships, Then and Now" which is probably still in large libraries.

My father refused to wear a wedding band {thought only signet ring was a proper piece of jewelry for men} but it did not affect their happy marriage since it lasted 67 years before his passing. Mother would interchange many rings on all her fingers through the years.

Actually it comes down to the fact that it is your life and your marriage. Do whatever is comfortable for the both of you and not what someone else thinks you should do.

CyrilVladisla 07-01-2014 10:36 PM

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor February 1, 2013 Blog mentioned that Sophie, The Countess of Wessex, "also wears a Welsh gold band, but doesn't always wear her wedding set these days". :onering::onering:

sarahtay 11-01-2015 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COUNTESS (Post 1389665)

I totally agree. :) But royalty wedding bands are all gorgeous!

Denville 07-20-2016 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahtay (Post 1835189)
I totally agree. :) But royalty wedding bands are all gorgeous!

Generally, the idea of putting it on your left hand is that most people are right handed so the rings are less likely be damaged if they are on the hand that you dont use so muich. but tehre is no right and wrong about it...