The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Jewels (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Queen Anne Marie Jewellery (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/queen-anne-marie-jewellery-326.html)

Danjel 05-06-2003 03:43 PM

Queen Anne Marie Jewellery

6 Attachment(s)
www.corbis.com
https://alloverpress.dk
www.polfoto.dk
www.polfoto.dk
www.ibl.se

Josefine 07-28-2003 09:55 AM

6 Attachment(s)
www.ibl.se
www.corbis.com
www.corbis.com
www.corbis.com
www.corbis.com
June 9, 1992

reynard 10-06-2003 06:33 PM

I'm so glad that the Greek royal family was able to hold on to so many of the royal jewels after going in to exile. How were they so lucky? Were they able to keep alot of personal wealth as well?

Mia 04-27-2004 01:29 PM

Yes, Reynard. And especially the drop shaped emeralds look very "important" in the pictures.

Hi, Micas. Do you want to know what tiara that is or what was your question? The tiara in the first, third and fourth picture seem to be same one. An olive wreath tiara with diamonds and rubies. More pictures at the Royal Jewels of The World:

https://royal-jewels2.tripod.com/greece/ruby.html

wymanda 04-27-2004 08:16 PM

It suprises me that Queen Anne-Marie has custody of the Khedive Tiara. I would have thought that such an important piece would have remained in Denmark with the elder daughter, Queen Margarethe.

I know that this tiara is worn by all female descendants of Princess Margaret of Connaught (to whom it was given as a wedding gift) and that it was taken to Denmark by her only daughter Queen Ingrid. Surely this makes it an integral part of the Danish, Swedish and Greek royal families and it should not be seen as belonging to any one of them.

In my opinion it's rightful place is in Denmark and, perhaps it should only be worn by the brides on their wedding day.

Jacqueline 04-27-2004 09:29 PM

It is perfectly sensible to me that Queen Anne Marie would have custody of the tiara. Although some may find that it should remain in Denmark it makes perfect sense to me that Queen Ingrid would leave it to one of her daughters who actually has daughters of her own. Queen Margrethe only has sons, and the tiara is only worn by direct female descendants particularly on their wedding days as the tradition stands. Alexandra did not wear this tiara on her wedding day and I doubt that Mary will either. She is marrying into the Royal Family of Denmark, however, that will never make her a direct female descendant. However, should Frederik and Mary have a daughter it is likely that she being a direct descendant will wear the tiara on her wedding day.

Queen Ingrid wanted for the tiara to remain in the personal possession of her family and gave it to her daughter. I certainly cannot fault her for that. Whether or not anyone agrees with how Queen Anne Marie wears it is a moot point. The tiara is in her possession and it is said to actually belong to her by various sources, therefore, she can literally wear it whenever she likes, whether we approve of it or not.

I agree that it has great significance to all of the Royal Families mentioned, however when it became Queen Ingrid's it was her personal property and she had the right to do with it as she pleased. It does not seem that this particular piece was meant to become property of any state in particular. I think that is a great tradition and hope that it is carried on by the female members of the family for many more generations. I am only happy that it has remained in the possession of the Family and that it has not been sold. There are far too many tiaras of former reigning families that were of great historical importance that have fallen to the auction block or private sales. At least we know the whereabouts of this one.

Poppy 04-28-2004 04:56 AM

What about Princess Benedikt? She has two daughters too.

Poppy 04-28-2004 05:02 AM

In my opinion, in order to make the jewellery collection more equal between the three daughters, Princess Benedikt should have inherited most of Queen Ingrid's jewels as Queen Margrethe is the Queen and she has alot of jewels on her disposal, and Queen Anne-Marie has alot of jewels from the Greek royal family. From many pictures you can see Princess Benedikt hasn't got many magnificent pieces. Her husband's family only provided her with one grand jewel, the fringe tiara.

Jacqueline 04-28-2004 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Poppy@Apr 28th, 2004 - 3:56 am
What about Princess Benedikt? She has two daughters too.
That is a given, however, Queen Ingrid left the Khedive Tiara to Queen Anne-Marie instead. No one knows what her reasoning was exactly in why she chose Anne of Marie instead of Beneditke. However, she most likely had a reason as to why she gave certain pieces to specific daughters.

Jacqueline 04-28-2004 07:21 AM

Princess Beneditke does not have as many tiaras as her sister, Anne-Marie, however she has a fairly large jewelry collection. She also owns a tiara that is comprised of three brooches (Floral Brooch Tiara) one of which that once belonged to Queen Alexandrine left to her by Queen Ingrid. Queen Ingrid also left Beneditke other pieces such as diamond earrings and necklace once belonging to Queen Alexandrine, a rubyand diamond brooch and earrings, an amethyst parure consisting of a necklace, bracelet, earrings, brooch and bracelet, a diamond and pearl button brooch, a necklace comprised of three rows of pearls, diamond and pearl earrings, four diamond stars, and she also inherited Queen Ingrid's Star and Pearl Tiara. As you can see Beneditke was hardly left out and has a very large jewelry box. This list does not even include her personal pieces and those that belong to her husband's family of which she has access.

Poppy 04-28-2004 10:09 AM

But those are mostly small pieces, tiaras made from brooches etc. Just look at her sisters, parures after parures, tiaras after tiaras and large elaborate necklaces.

Jacqueline 04-28-2004 10:29 AM

Yes, but it was not up to Queen Ingrid to make her daughter's collections equal. Queen Margrethe was to be Queen as eldest, obviously she would have access to more jewels, those of the Crown especially. Queen Anne-Marie has many parures because she was at a time the reigining Queen of Greece. It is perfectly sensible that Beneditke would have less large parures. Giving Beneditke one more tiara would not have made her collection of jewels more equal to that of her sisters where parures are concerned. Unless she becomes even wealthier than she is and sees fit to purchase more tiaras and parures and other fantastic jewels she has a stunning collection. Her mother could only give to her daughters what she had avaiable. What she had available was hardly shabby.

It was at Queen Ingrid's discretion to pick and choose what she wanted to give to each daughter. It is pointless to debate why she gave certain things to particular daughters. All three women have fantastic jewels and most people in the world cannot boast such. It is ridiculous to continue to say that Beneditke has the lesser of the jewels or the lesser of the collections. She has a fine collection, period.

These women's lives played out in a certain way. For someone who does not have the Danish Crown Jewels at her disposal with her own private jewels, and those inherited from her mother as Queen Margrethe does or who is not Queen Anne-Marie with her substantial collection consisting of GRF Family pieces, her personal pieces, and those left by Queen Ingrid to her, Beneditke has a fantastic collection. I am not going to feel sorry for her. She has only one tiara made of brooches, the rest are definitely not comprised of brooches. Not to mention that the Floral Brooch Tiara has a substantial center piece that belonged to Queen Alexandrine, that making it important and historical in itself.

Considering Queen Margrethe's status and Anne-Marie's former status, Beneditke is lucky that she has a collection that can rival those of her sisters at all. When they are seen at the same event, she certainly does not look out of place and it is clear that all of the sisters have amazing jewels.

Beneditke also has the Diamond Fringe Tiara from her husband's family that can also serve as a very large diamond necklace, a long diamond necklace that she tends to wear with various jeweled pendants, 2 four strand pearl necklaces, a huge diamond bracelet given to her by Queen Ingrid, her large pearl necklace, large diamond and pearl earrings (one set of many diamond and/or pearl earrings), diamond and pearl drop earrings given to her by her mother that belonged to Queen Alexandrine as well, several pairs of diamond earrings of various styles, a gorgeous pearl and sapphire necklace comprised of about six rows, a diamond brooch in the shape of a bow,a large diamond brooch that I believe was a gift from her father, several diamond and pearl brooches, and emerald and diamond floral earrings.

Beneditke has a magnificent collection and of the three sisters she has more pieces that are of extreme quality and worth that can be worn on a daily basis when considering the huge amount of pearls, rings, earrings, necklaces and the many brooches that she owns.

Fireweaver 04-28-2004 11:11 AM

Hey, must interject. It's been thought that Princess Benedikte has also inherited Queen Sophie's star tiara, and she does have a tiara from her husband's family (A gorgeous fringe tiara). Her husband's mother also still owns a tiara, which may go to her after the mother's death. So, she isn't quite as bad off tiara wise as we all thought :)

Jacqueline 04-28-2004 11:13 AM

She does have the star tiara. Queen Ingrid gave it to her. I think that I mentioned it in an earlier post, but not sure. :unsure:

Fireweaver 04-28-2004 11:19 AM

whoops, sorry Jacqueline! Still, 3 tiaras, with her gorgeous necklaces, earrings, and brooches (and a few bracelets for good measure) do make a nice collection.
Maybe the reason that she didn't inherit more tiaras was that her mother-in-law was going to leave her some eventually? (And I'd read that B's husband is pretty well off. No doubt she could buy a few more if she really wanted to).

Jacqueline 04-28-2004 11:43 AM

I think that it is defintely possible that she will eventually come into possession of some owned by her mother-in-law, at least one more anyway. ;)

I agree that Beneditke defintely has the resources to purchase any tiara that interested her if she wanted. Must be so nice! :woot:

Poppy 04-29-2004 07:58 AM

Well yeah, Benedikt does look more lucky than other married princesses such as those of Sweden and Norway. I respect your view but I still think her jewellery collection cannot be compared to that of her sisters' and when they were at the same events, she did look with less heavey jewels. But I do understand the fact that she is not a queen whereas her sisters are all queens.

A.C.C. 05-12-2004 02:01 PM

Queen Anne Marie at the gala at Christiansborg Palace in honor of the wedding of Crown Prince Frederick to Mary Donaldson, May 11, 2004.

Queen Anne Marie wearing her Diamond and Ruby Parure

Closer picture of Queen Anne Marie

Jackswife 05-12-2004 02:42 PM

:woot: That is some knockout set! A very striking color choice with the gown but she really pulls it off well. Excellemt photos. :heart:

USCtrojan 08-27-2004 03:00 AM

Gotta love those emeralds. The Ruby one is just as stunning. I hope that Anne-Marie doesn't just leave those to Marie-Chantal. I would hope that she would leave them to all of her children and thier families... I know that it is likely that MC will get everything because she is Pavlos' bride, but, heck, she has money to buy the world literally and can buy some personal ones of her own. I would hope that Nik would get something for his decendants, same with Theodora, Alexia and Phillippos...

rchainho 08-20-2005 09:42 AM

a web in german about the diamond-rubi jewlery of anne-marie.

https://www.royal-magazin.de/griechen...rie-rubies.htm

galuhcandrakirana 08-21-2005 04:03 AM

I found an official picture of princess Benedicte wedding, I have noticed that the tiara Anne Marie has wore is very similar but doesn't have same height. My guess is, it is the same tiara which she can put on/off some part of it, but I am not sure. https://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?i...nemarie2wt.jpg

Josefine 11-08-2005 05:36 AM

at the state visit from norway 2005

https://img383.imageshack.us/img383/3...rk28ukp3bx.jpg

dbarn67 11-07-2006 04:16 PM

Christie's International is auction Queen Ann Marie's (or a very good copy)ruby and diamond demi-parure. Its lot 1054 of the coming Van Cleef & Arpel Magnificent Jewels Centennial Tibute part II.

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...l%3Den%26lr%3D

https://www.christies.com/LotFinder/s...ntSaleID=20704

BeatrixFan 11-07-2006 05:25 PM

Is this Anne-Marie's or a copy? It'd be a shame if she was selling it.

michelleq 11-07-2006 08:54 PM

Does she still have it? Does anyone have a photo of her wearing it recently?

Nefertiti 11-08-2006 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarn67
Christie's International is auction Queen Ann Marie's (or a very good copy)ruby and diamond demi-parure. Its lot 1054 of the coming Van Cleef & Arpel Magnificent Jewels Centennial Tibute part II.

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...l%3Den%26lr%3D

https://www.christies.com/LotFinder/s...ntSaleID=20704

I don't believe they are the same necklace. Let me see if I can describe this. :smile: If we look at the design of the necklace it is like a braid. The "inner" part of the braid connects with other parts of the inner braid and the "outer" parts of the braid don't touch other outer parts. So look at the picture of Anne Marie and notice that the inner part of her necklace is diamond. The Christie's necklace has a ruby inner part. A side by side comparison helps.

UserDane 11-08-2006 02:57 AM

I have a vague recollection of having read once that Anne-Marie and Constantine actually did sell these ruby and diamond jewels - perhaps it was in connection with their long stay in Rome where they might have needed funds. Can't find anything about it on the Internet though.

dbarn67 11-09-2006 10:38 AM

I still thinks its her. I look side-by-side as well.

Nefertiti 11-09-2006 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarn67
I still thinks its her. I look side-by-side as well.

When you did the side-by-side comparison did you use the photo of Anne Marie and the Christie's photo? The photo of the jewelry just below Anne Marie's picture is the same as the item for sale at Christies so don't use that for the comparison.

ayvee 11-09-2006 10:26 PM

Here's a side by side comparison:

https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...reekrubies.jpg

It looks exactly the same to me.

But then again Van Cleef and Arpels could have made more than one set. From Ursula's site, she claims Queen Anne-Marie's set was made in 1961. In the Christie's website, the set they are auctioning was created in 1964. It's not unusual for them to create more than one set although they probably wouldn't create this in the hundreds.

-Ayvee

Saturn 11-10-2006 06:37 PM

I think it may be the same set because Anne Marie doesn't wear it anymore.
Maybe when they were exiled in Rome they had to sell some jewels in order to get some money, at least it wasn't an historical jewel.

Sophus 11-11-2006 01:42 PM

To me it seems strange that Queen Anne Marie sells this parure as it is the engagement present from her husband... It would be the same as to sell your weddingring!

:ohmy:

Josefine 06-08-2008 04:28 AM

here is the tiara she wore at the wedding in denmark
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...D051203E38ED4E
an other tiara at the king of swedens birthday party

just the show her differnt tiaras

is it 3 tiaras she got?

necklace
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/FotoWeb/...2B920DAE7E7D00

kimebear 06-08-2008 01:24 PM

Does anyone know the significance of the pin she always seems to wear on her sash? She has had it since she became queen. A gift from her parents maybe? Or something from her new in-laws?

iakynthi 03-02-2009 10:03 AM

To me it seems that Anna Maria owns some of the most beautiful tiaras.I wish we could have more information on her jewels.Someone mentioned an Amethyst parure/tiara.Is there a photo of these pieces?Thanks in advance :flowers:

RubyPrincess168 03-03-2009 01:18 AM

I don't think it's the same. QAM's is necklace, bracelet and brooch, whereas Christie's is necklace, bracelet and earrings. It's conceivable that the jewelery made more than one set depending on available stones.

branchg 03-04-2009 08:07 PM

The most important jewels she has are the Russian emeralds which were part of Grand Duchess Olga's dowry when she married George of the Hellenes (Prince Vilhelm of Denmark).

There was also a beautiful diamond tiara that Queen Sophie may have received as a wedding gift when she married then Crown Prince Constantine. Queen Fredericka was often photographed wearing it, but it appears to have been sold during exile.

auntie 03-06-2009 02:53 AM

I don't think the Greek princesses own any tiaras, (with the exception of Marie Chantal I think) they borrow from their mom's depleted collection:ermm:

Charlotte1 03-06-2009 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie (Post 903875)
I don't think the Greek princesses own any tiaras, (with the exception of Marie Chantal I think) they borrow from their mom's depleted collection:ermm:

Queen Anne-Marie hardly has a depleted collection. She inherited another historic tiara on the death of her mother. She owns the Cartier tiara that was a wedding gift to Princess Margaret of Conaught when she married the Swedish crown prince. All of Princess Margaret ( Margaretha)'s female descendents have worn this tiara on their wedding day. Anne-Marie also has the ruby tiara ( originally Queen Olga's) and the large emerald one. The Greek royals still own the large tiara that Queen Frederika regularily wore, Anne-Marie doesn't wear it. She received a tiara from her parents for her 18th birthday and this is the tiara that Theodora wears. Alexia has also worn this tiara. Alexia has her own tiara given to her as a gift on her 18th birthday from her parents.

Seraphine 03-06-2009 05:21 AM

I thought the tiara that Queen Frederica tend to wear was sold in exile ?

auntie 03-06-2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte1 (Post 903899)
Queen Anne-Marie hardly has a depleted collection. She inherited another historic tiara on the death of her mother. She owns the Cartier tiara that was a wedding gift to Princess Margaret of Conaught when she married the Swedish crown prince. All of Princess Margaret ( Margaretha)'s female descendents have worn this tiara on their wedding day. Anne-Marie also has the ruby tiara ( originally Queen Olga's) and the large emerald one. The Greek royals still own the large tiara that Queen Frederika regularily wore, Anne-Marie doesn't wear it. She received a tiara from her parents for her 18th birthday and this is the tiara that Theodora wears. Alexia has also worn this tiara. Alexia has her own tiara given to her as a gift on her 18th birthday from her parents.

Thanks for correcting me, I still think it's a poor collection, realativey to of course the Windsors, the Oranges, the Glucksbergs and even the Bernadottes. Do you know why she doesn't wear QFredrika's diamond tiara?

iakynthi 03-06-2009 07:28 AM

Thank you,Charlotte!!That was enlightening.When I read some other posts,I was under the impression that Theodora received a new tiara (the one with the pearls) on her 18th birthday,but now it's clear that this tiara is an old one and was given to Anna Maria as a gift for h e r 18th birthday.Do you think Anna Maria gave it to her younger daughter when she became 18 as a symbolism or something?

Charlotte1 03-06-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seraphine (Post 903924)
I thought the tiara that Queen Frederica tend to wear was sold in exile ?

It's still owned by the Greek royals, though not been seen in years. As to why Anne-Marie doesn't wear it, maybe too big/ornate/heavy/strongly identified with Frederika/not appropriate for a royal in exile? All guesses.
Queen Olga being a Russian Grand Duchess bought a lot of gems into the Greek royal family, but she also had a lot of children and her major pieces of jewellery was divided among them. The ruby tiara that Anne-Marie wears originally went to Olga's son Prince Nicholas, who in turn left it to his daughter Olga ( Princess Olga of Yugoslavia) King Paul and Queen Frederika bought it from Olga and so it returned to the main branch of the Greek royals. The Greeks never had the same kind of collection that the Windsors, Oranges etc they had large families so the jewellery was divided and spent long periods of time in exile.

Quote:

but now it's clear that this tiara is an old one and was given to Anna Maria as a gift for h e r 18th birthday. Do you think Anna Maria gave it to her younger daughter when she became 18 as a symbolism or something?
As far as I have read Anne-Marie still owns her 18th birthday tiara, Theodora though has worn it on the few occasions where a tiara was required since she was an adult. ( Danish royal weddings) I suppose Alexia being the oldest girl received a gift tiara, Theodora maybe will eventually inherit the one she wears. One of them will get the Cartier tiara as that goes to a female descendent, for now it's Anne-Marie's personal property. Her other tiaras ( ruby and emerald, large diamond) are associated with Greek royalty so will pass on to Pavlos and Marie-Chantal.

Stefan 03-06-2009 09:35 AM

Priness Alexia has also worn the diamond and pearl tara after she turned 18 a few times. And Marie Chantal wore it for her Wedding, the Wedding of Joachim and Alexandra and a few other times before she got her fringe tiara.

Saturn 03-06-2009 10:51 AM

Wow, I thought the large tiara that belonged to Queen Frederika had been sold, as I read in one book (Françoise Laot wrote) that Queen Sophia said it was very sad when her mother had to sell some heirlooms when she went into exhile (the book said that among those heirlooms there were a tiara, a riviere and a big round ruby brooch).

It would be great if I could see Queen Anne-Marie wearing that tiara.

branchg 03-06-2009 01:08 PM

Both Anne-Marie and her sister-in-law, Sophia, confirmed that Queen Sophie's diamond tiara was sold by Fredericka during her exile in Italy, along with the diamond riviere necklace that belonged to Sophie's mother, The Empress Frederick. Once the Greek colonels forced Constantine and his family to leave in 1967, they essentially had very little money to take with them.

Boris 03-06-2009 01:19 PM

According to a poster on the Royal Jewels MB who is THE expert on the Danish Royal jewels and in touch with members of the family including Queen Anne Marie, the large diamond tiara was definitely NOT sold.
Other pieces were but not this tiara which, also according to him, will be seen again.

branchg 03-06-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 904102)
According to a poster on the Royal Jewels MB who is THE expert on the Danish Royal jewels and in touch with members of the family including Queen Anne Marie, the large diamond tiara was definitely NOT sold.
Other pieces were but not this tiara which, also according to him, will be seen again.

Seems strange to me that it hasn't been worn by Anne-Marie in forty years, given the limited amount of Greek jewels she has in her possession, but OK.

Perhaps Fredericka gave it to the Hanovers (who remained quite wealthy) in return for funds?

Boris 03-06-2009 01:28 PM

No, Bjarne (who as you probably know who wrote the great standard reference book about the jewels of the Danish Royal Family) definitely hinted at the tiara still being within the more immediate family.

iakynthi 03-06-2009 02:43 PM

I really enjoyed this conversation,thank you all!!Does anyone have a photo of the Cartier tiara that many of you have mentioned?

Warren 03-07-2009 02:09 AM

To support what Boris has written above, I recall the original discussion well. Bjarne stated that the tiara is not "lost" and would make a reappearance at a future date.

To remind everyone of this impressive jewel, here's a pic..

¤ ¤ ¤

Warren 03-07-2009 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iakynthi (Post 904129)
Does anyone have a photo of the Cartier tiara that many of you have mentioned?

The Khedive of Egypt Cartier tiara is the second pic in post #1.

Charlotte1 03-07-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iakynthi (Post 904129)
I really enjoyed this conversation,thank you all!!Does anyone have a photo of the Cartier tiara that many of you have mentioned?

Here's a link with information about this tiara as well as photos of the various royal women who have worn it, laterly on their wedding day.

https://royal-jewels.blogspot.com/2006/03/khedive-of-egypt-cartier-tiara.html

Quote:

Perhaps Fredericka gave it to the Hanovers (who remained quite wealthy) in return for funds?
The large diamond tiara is still owned by the Greeks ( Constantine) not the Hanovers.

Viv 03-07-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 904102)

I would take this with a grain of salt!
Bjarne Steen Jensen is no doubt an authority on royal jewellery in general and the best on Danish RF jewellery in particular! BUT: As one knowing his book on the Danish jewellery I'd like to add that there is an awful lot of guesswork & speculation in it! The core members of the Danish RF (including Anne -Marie) are only telling him the need-to-knows, not the nice-to-knows on the foundation jewellery and on the odd significant piece of private jewellery. There is much more they have chosen not to tell him, including the details of the privately owned tiaras!

The diamond tiara of Frederica's may well be in safe hands, but certainly not in those of the former Greek Royal family! If it were, Anne-Marie would not have hesitated to wear it!

The tiara is no doubt in safe hands and it may make a reappearance some fine day. However if it was bought by a royal family it would need a cooling off period before it could fly another flag. IMO after 40 years it would be safe to bring it back into the daylight!:smile:

Boris 03-07-2009 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viv (Post 904325)
Bjarne Steen Jensen is no doubt an authority on royal jewellery in general and the best on Danish RF jewellery in particular! BUT: As one knowing his book on the Danish jewellery I'd like to add that there is an awful lot of guesswork & speculation in it! The core members of the Danish RF (including Anne -Marie) are only telling him the need-to-knows, not the nice-to-knows on the foundation jewellery and on the odd significant piece of private jewellery. There is much more they have chosen not to tell him, including the details of the privately owned tiaras!

The diamond tiara of Frederica's may well be in safe hands, but certainly not in those of the former Greek Royal family!

As I tend to believe that the information given in Bjarne's book is authorative, I'm not quite sure what you consider to be the "awful lot of guesswork & speculation" he includes - could you give a few examples?
And since you are certain that the Queen Frederica tiara was definitely sold, it would be good to know your source of information, please.

iakynthi 03-07-2009 07:32 AM

Thank you all for the links!Both tiaras are very beautiful.Viv,of course nobody expects this historical masterpiece to be kept at Constantine's home in London.I'm sure it is in safer hands.But everything here proves that the diamond tiara wasn't sold.Perhaps,Anna Maria waits for a major event,like one of her children's wedding,to wear it.That's just a thought,of course.

kimebear 03-07-2009 03:30 PM

I have heard this story as well.

Seeing how King Constantine is hopeful for a revival of the Greek monarchy, I have often wondered if the auspicious occasion they are waiting for is the day they are allowed to return to Greece as monarchs. I know it is unlikely to happen, but it may be a sentimental thing for them (Constantine and Anne-Marie) to equate Frederika's tiara with their homecoming.

Whether or not this means that Marie-Chantal will ever wear it, is another thing altogether.

Viv 03-07-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 904341)
As I tend to believe that the information given in Bjarne's book is authorative, I'm not quite sure what you consider to be the "awful lot of guesswork & speculation" he includes - could you give a few examples?

I could sit here all night quoting examples, one of them being the floral diamond "tri-part" tiara often worn by HM Queen Margrethe. In the book it is obvious that BSJ has no factual information on the piece; everything is researched via old photos. It is said to have belonged to a Danish-American, but nothing else in known of its origin, though BSJ adds that "perhaps one could assume that it has royal provenance" ( The jewels of the Danish royal House, NNF 2002, p. 102).

I am not discounting the obvious facts in the book, on the contrary, however it is easy to see when BSJ has been given detailed information on the jewellery and when he hasn't. He is even quite up front about his method and mentions in the foreword that despite he has been assisted
by HM, Princess Benedikte and others (esp. the Rosenborg-branch)- there is information he has been denied, like gaining access to the royal Glücksburg) archives.

I don't know if you are Danish or read Danish, in which case I would suggest that you read his book. It is the best authority on the Danish RF jewellery, but there is a lot BSJ has not been told because the core members of the DRF did not want to divulge private and (perhaps) sensitive information.

It is an interesting book, however BSJs Danish is often toe-crumbling! An editor could have weeded out the worst idioms and prepared the text for print!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 904341)
And since you are certain that the Queen Frederica tiara was definitely sold, it would be good to know your source of information, please.

I have read ad nauseam that the tiara was sold! However I have no proof that it was, just as you have no proof that it wasn't! :smile:

Suppose the tiara been in the care of the former Greek royal family, as you seem to suggest, I see no reason why it should not have been worn by the former Queen Anne-Marie! She likes her bling, and she and ex-king Constantine have so far staged two big state- of- the- art family weddings in London for their children.

Of course I cannot rule out that somebody (the Millers? )bought back the tiara and gave it to the former Greek royal family. I just don't see any point in mothballing it since it was their piece of jewellery in the first place! :smile:

Viv 03-07-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimebear (Post 904513)
ISeeing how King Constantine is hopeful for a revival of the Greek monarchy, I have often wondered if the auspicious occasion they are waiting for is the day they are allowed to return to Greece as monarchs. I know it is unlikely to happen, but it may be a sentimental thing for them (Constantine and Anne-Marie) to equate Frederika's tiara with their homecoming. Whether or not this means that Marie-Chantal will ever wear it, is another thing altogether.

Yep, I was thinking along those lines too, especially because the Constantines seem to be hoping against hope! I don't see a restoration happening and even if I did, I'd suggest that the Greeks chose another dynasty! I am sorry to say that this branch of the Glücksburgs is a liability to Greek nation, IMO of course!

Marengo 03-07-2009 05:34 PM

For what it's worth, two years ago or so, a poster at the RJWMB claimed that the tiara wasn't sold but there were some issues with succession rights. According to this poster (forgot the name) the tiara was still in the hands of one of queen Frederika's children. Now this source also said that we would see the tiara soon, which did not happen obviously. And 28 years must have given the heirs enough time to resolve the succession issues, so I wonder how credible the information was. I suppose it could also be inherited by princess Irene of Greece, who hasn't been seen with a tiara in public for decades. And remember, we never knew this recently auctioned Leuchtenberg tiara of princess Maria Gabriella of Savoy was in her/ her mothers/her uncles posession either, so surprises do still occur.
However, I believe the poster I refer to hinted vaguely that the tiara was in the posession of the queen of Spain (but it has been a few years, and again I am not sure how credible the information/poster is).

Boris 03-07-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viv (Post 904565)
I could sit here all night quoting examples, one of them being the floral diamond "tri-part" tiara often worn by HM Queen Margrethe. In the book it is obvious that BSJ has no factual information on the piece; everything is researched via old photos. It is said to have belonged to a Danish-American, but nothing else in known of its origin, though BSJ adds that "perhaps one could assume that it has royal provenance" ( The jewels of the Danish royal House, NNF 2002, p. 102).

Well, if such very careful wording on the part of the author is an an example of what you described as 'an awful lot of guesswork and speculation' by Bjarne, then I'll be happy to continue to regard his book as authorative. ;)
Potential reasons for the Greek Royal family for not bringing the Queen Feredica tiara out of the vaults - and you're right, I have no proof that it's resting there - have been suggested by other posters.
Quote:

According to this poster (forgot the name) the tiara was still in the hands of one of queen Frederika's children. Now this source also said that we would see the tiara soon, which did not happen obviously.
This poster was indeed Bjarne, whose book we're discussing here, and his statement that the tiara would soon be seen again was posted at one point last year - not long ago at all to dismiss the information given, I'd say.

Viv 03-07-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 904578)
Well, if such very careful wording on the part of the author is an an example of what you described as 'an awful lot of guesswork and speculation' by Bjarne, then I'll be happy to continue to regard his book as authorative.

Suit yourself! You have made up your mind about the author of a book you haven't read! When you have actually read it in its proper context I shall be willing to resume discussions concerning Bjarne Steen Jensen and his authority! ;)

Boris 03-07-2009 06:55 PM

Nowhere did I state that I have not read the book in question, so why would you rush to that conclusion?
I'm glad that I decided to buy it a few months ago and have read it. That's exactly the reason why I was surprised that someone would point out its alleged inaccuracies in such a rather vehement way.

Viv 03-07-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 904622)
Nowhere did I state that I have not read the book in question, so why would you rush to that conclusion?

Because you did not react to my question whether you were Danish or could read Danish! That's why! Or else, if the book has been translated into English, I'm not aware of it.

I shall word this carefully as you seem to carry a torch for Bjarne Steen Jensen, sensitive to even the slightest criticism of him: BSJ has a substantial knowledge on the DRF jewellery and on other royal jewellery, as I happen to know from a mail correspondence I had with him. However regarding "The jewellery of the Danish Royal House", it is only providing factual information in part, the rest is guesswork as I said, albeit qualified guesswork! I can live with it since BSJ makes no bones about it. But it is still guesswork and in my vocabulary guesswork does not make an authority! However the worst about the book is BSJs "chatty " inacurate Danish; it's below standard for a book which is supposed to be an authority on a subject and it detracts from its overall credibility. If I had the time I'd be happy to provide a list with examples of the "guesswork", but I don't and besides what's the point?

Warren 03-08-2009 06:41 AM

A reminder that this thread is about jewels.
The question of an author's allegedly "chatty Danish" is irrelevant to any discussion here.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

iakynthi 03-08-2009 08:33 AM

Oh,so these were the plans for "the tiara",huh?Anna Maria would wear it during her return to the throne....Hmmm,everyone has the right to dream,I guess.It doesn't cost anything,after all...

Thomas Parkman 03-09-2009 04:21 PM

Pant, slurp (excuse me but I can't help it) drool. Those parure are just staggering, lovely, magnificent. Please correct me but I thought Queen Frederika's massive and magnificent tiara had had to be sold during the dreary years of the 70s. Please correct me and show me that I am wrong. I suppose that most Greek citizens would disagree with me but Constantine II was not a monster. He just was a very yound and inexperienced man in the snake pit of Greek politics (and do not tell me they are not a snakepit to end all snakepits) and got cought up mainly in bad luck and bad timing. Plus some inept political judgement. In any case the jewels are magnificent. That diamond and ruby thing is out of this world and those emeralds. Excuse me I have got to go get some chocolate to calm down. Cheers.

Boris 03-09-2009 04:40 PM

Not AGAIN...! :rofl:
Dearest Thomas Parkman, please do take good care of your chocolate intake and, after you did, have mercy and catch up on the all too recent discussion here about whether or not the indeed massive and magnificent Queen Frederika tiara might have been sold. Cheers. ;)

Thomas Parkman 03-12-2009 08:39 PM

Oh Boris, Of course I take care of my chocolate intake. It is one of the things that keeps me alive. Now nobody would want that magnificent goodie, Queen Frederika's or Queen Sophie's tiara to miraculously appear on the marvelous head of Queen Anne Marie any more than I would. Nobody would be any happier if our dear Greek friends would come to their senses (????) and restore the monarchy and forget all about this republican clap trap, However to quote a Scots proverb re this splendid and truly glorious bauble: Case NOt Proven. Cheers.

iakynthi 03-13-2009 08:13 AM

ThomasP.,the Greeks have decided a long time ago.Listen,why don't you leave your differences with Boris aside and come here and have nice discussions about AM's beautiful collection?Personally,I discovered this thread only few days ago and I have to admit I'm impressed by her good taste.Although her jewels are limited,you can find true masterpieces among them!Let's start enjoying them.

Boris 03-13-2009 08:49 AM

Hey iakynthi: Didn't you get that my chit-chat with gloriously witty Thomas P. was absolutely tongue-in-cheek and couldn't be more amicable? :rolleyes: No 'difference' whatsoever.
Besides, if there's one thing that dear Thomas enjoys maybe even more than his chocolate goodies, than it's jewelry goodies... always a pleasure to read his original posts. ;)
By the way: While Queen Anne Marie's treasures might surely be 'limited', I consider her ruby parure the best one around, next to the Danish. Her emeralds might even be THE best of them all - outshining even the Norwegian and Danish emerald parures.
(And yes, I'm including QE II's jewels here - among which there is not ONE complete historic parure of colored stones left.)

jcbcode99 03-13-2009 10:15 AM

Boris, you are certainly correct at QEII's jewels---it is truly a shame that so many wonderful pieces passed out of the main collection. I lament the turquoises (both parues) and Queen Victoria's sapphires, not to mention the Cambridge Sapphire Parue--I must stop--I get so annoyed by all of this--
but, Queen Victoria's opal parue remains, although the opals have been replaced by those gorgeous rubies. I do wish that QEII would wear the rubies more--the Oriental Circlet, necklace, earrings--the whole shebang. And, I do love the emeralds that QM brought into the family.

But, back to Anne-Marie--she has, while it is limited in comparison to other families--some very beautiful, absolutely amazingly crafted jewels. That ruby parue is really an impressive sight to behold--I love the tiara;
Getty Images - King Consantine And Queen Anne-marie Of Greece

Getty Images - King Constantine And Queen Anne-marie Of Greece

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52...%2c52108587|60

iakynthi 03-13-2009 03:24 PM

:previous: This tiara is absolutely wonderful!!I love the symbolism of the small olive-looking leaves,it's so Greek!Apart from the necklace,which I consider almost ugly,everything else is as perfect as the tiara:the earrings,the brooch,the bracelet :flowers:
Boris :arrow: :blush: :biggrin:

queenofthelight 03-13-2009 04:00 PM

Everything in this woman is wonderful - a face, the tiara and her white smile!!!

Thomas Parkman 03-13-2009 05:54 PM

Dear Iakynthi,

I agree with you completely about that necklace. They need to take the thing apart and start over. The tiara is a miracle. But that necklace-the rubies are no doubt wonderful but the design of the necklace is just clunky, late 19th century ugly and completely out of character with the tiara and indeed a distraction. As for our dear Greeks having made up their minds-well they are a mercurial people, to say the least and what is written in concrete in Greece is just as well written in water. As for Boris the Splendid-it is sparring among friends who appreciate and like each other. Cheeers. Vive La Grece (sp??) Thomas Parkman

rubies 03-14-2009 08:21 AM

I love Queen Anne Marie's emeralds. They are my favorite emeralds, especially the tiara and the brooch with the UNBELIEVABLE drops of emeralds!!!

maria-olivia 03-14-2009 04:17 PM

Queen Frederika wore this necklace with two more diamants and rubies..
I agree with Queenofthelight : everything in this woman is wonderful..

Prince of Chota 03-14-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viv (Post 904604)
Suit yourself! You have made up your mind about the author of a book you haven't read! When you have actually read it in its proper context I shall be willing to resume discussions concerning Bjarne Steen Jensen and his authority! ;)

Perhaps we can be civil. It's only a tiara, and much of the "facts" about most tiaras come from visual evidence, unless you happen to be the royal lady herself in possession of it.

Prince of Chota 03-14-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman (Post 907528)
Dear Iakynthi,

I agree with you completely about that necklace. They need to take the thing apart and start over. The tiara is a miracle. But that necklace-the rubies are no doubt wonderful but the design of the necklace is just clunky, late 19th century ugly and completely out of character with the tiara and indeed a distraction. As for our dear Greeks having made up their minds-well they are a mercurial people, to say the least and what is written in concrete in Greece is just as well written in water. As for Boris the Splendid-it is sparring among friends who appreciate and like each other. Cheeers. Vive La Grece (sp??) Thomas Parkman

Taking apart the ruby necklace would be a huge mistake. Much as it may not have the same pristine look as a Harry Winston piece, it is very beautiful in a reverse-chic way that many old pieces are. What I don't quite like is that I have never really seen its motif going en suite with the tiara. The design is completely different (however the accompanying brooch does match). I think the queen might better wear the tiara with a different necklace, but by no means destroy the existing work. As for the caprices of the Greek people, I think only Greeks should speak for them lest too many generalisations be made.

Andrew 24 03-14-2009 08:09 PM

I heard that Anne Marie was wearing Khedive of Egypt diamond tiara at Fred&Mary pre-wedding gala in theatre. Does anyone have photo of her at this event?

Thomas Parkman 03-16-2009 10:54 AM

What? Another ruby necklace for Queen Anne-Marie. By all means. She is enough of an argument for the restoration of the monarchy by herself. As for making comments or generalisations about the Greeks, as a person trained as a classical historian and who if the Gods had not been so unwilling would have been earned degrees in the study of Bronze Age Greece, I can say they are among the most fascinating and written and commented about people on earth. As for being a royalist, I can assure you if I were to go to Greece I would be in a lot of good company, not a majority perhaps but a lot.

I cannot wonder just what kind of necklace would really go with that tiara? Also we must not forget the earings. Truly a difficult task to match such a masterpiece. Ideas anyone???
Cheers.

Lady Marmalade 03-16-2009 09:48 PM

We shall never know what goes on behind closed doors in regards to decisions on their jewels. Unless they appear on someone else's head, or have been proven broken up to create other jewels...we are not privy.

I have heard the story too, that the tiara is still in their family...we shall see who the lucky Queen or Princess is to wear it...

noldorlord 06-04-2009 09:58 PM

The Greeks like the English do not wear Tiars to weddings- as can be seen from Photos, unlike the Danish custom.(a pitty)
I do hope that the Tiara is with the Greek Family and will be worn some time soon.

espejor 09-15-2009 11:02 AM

Do you know if the Khedive tiara was the tiara that Anne Marie used when she married with Constantine of Greece?

Do you know if the necklace that is wearing Anne-Marie in the photos belonged to Olga of Yugoslavia?

Patra 10-05-2009 11:07 AM

I really love the ruby tiara on Queen Ann-Maire, it looks so elegant and artistic on her. IMO the laurel leaf style tiaras look strange/awkward on most royal heads. But her hair and head shape it suits her so well.

noldorlord 10-06-2009 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espejor (Post 991895)
Do you know if the Khedive tiara was the tiara that Anne Marie used when she married

Yes all the danish Princesse were it at the time of there wedding.
It is a tradition. And even though Anna Maria owns it now, I would say that it will be loaned out when the time comes .

maria-olivia 10-06-2009 04:53 AM

Which tiara is Alexia M. wearing ? Did Queen Anne Marie wear this tiara ? Are they pictures from her ?

noldorlord 10-06-2009 05:04 AM

try these cutand past into google serch bar

pro.corbis.com/images/HU028570.jpg?size=67

members.fortunecity.com

snowflower 04-18-2010 07:59 PM

Dronningens fødselsdag: Se alle gæsterne - Billede 14 | MSN Starlounge

I really loved the way Anne Marie wore the Khedive tiara with a short version of the ruby parure's necklace. It looked very elegant. By the way I would like to see her wearing once the emerarld tiara as a necklace
with the Khedive it would be breathtaking IMO

mellie 04-19-2010 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1000433)
Which tiara is Alexia M. wearing ? Did Queen Anne Marie wear this tiara ? Are they pictures from her ?

Have a look at the bottom of this site. There is the story about the Khedive tiara.

Royal Jewels of the World

RubyPrincess168 04-20-2010 02:19 AM

If only we (or they) could mix Queen Anne-Marie's Ruby Tiara with the rest of Crown Princess Mary's Ruby parure! I think QAM has the better tiara but CPM has the better earrings, necklace, brooch, etc.

frank22 04-25-2010 01:56 AM

A thief took away a brazalet (made with a ruby and saphire) from Queen Anne-Marie (inherited from Queen Olga of Greece) a the airport of Geneve, Switzerland. There is a legal dispute about that issue with the airport of Geneve. Check the information at the minute 4:39 of this video:
YouTube - CONSTANTINE...A King's Story...Part.: 01

Josefine 08-07-2010 03:33 PM

i have forgotten what jewllery did the queen wear in sweden?

Lumutqueen 08-07-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josefine (Post 1122011)
i have forgotten what jewllery did the queen wear in sweden?

Mad Hattery! » Blog Archive » The Crown Princess of Sweden’s Wedding: HM Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

Even I couldn't remember what she wore. This tiara is stunning.

LOSSEAN 09-09-2010 10:14 PM

Queen Anne Marie is one of my favourite Royal ladies. I love the way she colour co-ordinates her outfits to her tiaras. I know all the royal ladies do so but she is a cut above the rest in this area.

maria-olivia 09-10-2010 06:34 AM

May I ask if the cross which hanged at her 3 row pearls the day of Nicolas 's wedding was the cross she wore at her wedding ?

jonc93 09-10-2010 12:12 PM

:previous: I would think it is unless she owns more than one, but here's a comparison picture
Her wedding:
https://cdn.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1110929987
Nicolaos wedding:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

They look the same to me, so they probably are. :flowers:

snowflower 09-10-2010 01:25 PM

I also believe it is the same cross. The cross she wore at her wedding was a gift from Frederika I believe, while the small diamond line she used to wear it was a her parents gift.

dbarn67 09-10-2010 02:15 PM

...and she wore it for Pavlos' wedding to Marie-Chantal

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...95-a-4559.html

but she did not wear it for Alexia's wedding to Carlos.