The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/)
-   -   The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/the-duchess-of-cambridge-charities-and-patronages-32382.html)

JessRulz 05-16-2011 09:35 PM

The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s300x215-1.png
Arms of HRH The Duchess of Cambridge

The Duchess of Cambridge's
Charities and Patronages

This thread covers the following:
Patron of 100 Women in Finance
Announced January 2013
Official Website

Patron of Action for Children
Announced December 20, 2016
Official Website

Patron of Evelina London Children’s Hospital
Announced December 11, 2018
Official Website

Royal Patron of Family Action
Announced December 3, 2019
Official Website

Patron of the Foundling Museum
Announced March 19, 2019
Official Website

Patron of the Natural History Museum
Announced April 18, 2013
Official Website

Patron of the Nursing Now Campaign
Announced February 27, 2018
Official Website

Patron of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
Announced February 27, 2018
Official Website

Patron of the Royal Photographic Society
Announced June 25, 2019
Official Website

Patron of The Victoria and Albert Museum
Announced March 26, 2018
Official Website

Honorary Air Commandant of The Air Cadet Organisation
Announced December 16, 2015
Official Website

Volunteer with The Scouts
Announced January 5, 2012
Official Website

Rosapru 10-02-2011 11:28 AM

Kate is to become Patron of the Tate, the National Gallery and others many institutions which didnt have royal patron until today; Except the V& A (but sinceraly because I'm french I totally ignore what it is V&A)

Duchess of Cambridge to become Queen of Arts - Telegraph

Daria_S 10-02-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosapru (Post 1322357)
Kate is to become Patron of the Tate, the National Gallery and others many institutions which didnt have royal patron until today; Except the V& A (but sinceraly because I'm french I totally ignore what it is V&A)

Duchess of Cambridge to become Queen of Arts - Telegraph

I think they're referring to the Victoria and Albert Museum.

Daphoenyx 10-02-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosapru (Post 1322357)
Except the V& A (but sinceraly because I'm french I totally ignore what it is V&A)

It refers to the Victoria and Albert Museum ;)

windsorgirl 10-03-2011 10:23 PM

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but it seems that Catherine was officially made a patron of William and Harry's foundation last week.

https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/news...570302665.html

Rosapru 01-04-2012 01:07 PM

The Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

The Birmingham Daily Mail jumped the embargo gun and published a list of the Duchess of Cambridge's charities. There was quite a stir about it on twitter because the information was supposed to be embargoed until tomorrow.

Duchess of Cambridge Kate becomes patron of charities - and scout volunteer
Birmingham Mail - ‎‎
Kate has accepted honorary positions with a range of charities and bodies that tackle issues from drug and alcohol addiction to children with behavioural problems and other areas of importance. The royal is now patron of Action on Addiction and the ...

The link is no longer active.

Thanks to another royal forum where I found (and copied) this information.

HRHHermione 01-04-2012 01:25 PM

Can't wait to get the full list, and I LOVE that she's chosen addiction as a cause. Addicts deal with quite a bit of stigma and a lot of people who think they're just weak and don't understand their illness. She'll bring some much needed publicity to that cause.

regardez 01-04-2012 01:27 PM

Duchess of Cambridge Charities and Patronages

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHHermione (Post 1354127)
Can't wait to get the full list, and I LOVE that she's chosen addiction as a cause. Addicts deal with quite a bit of stigma and a lot of people who think they're just weak and don't understand their illness. She'll bring some much needed publicity to that cause.

Isn't her uncle an addict too? I bet that was a very personal choice.

soapstar 01-04-2012 01:30 PM

Yes, I believe her uncle battled addiction. I think he went to rehab a few years ago.

HRHHermione 01-04-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soapstar
Yes, I believe her uncle battled addiction. I think he went to rehab a few years ago.

Then it probably is a personal choice. I can't wait to see what work she's planning to do- I hope some of it is very hands on and that her patronage isn't limited to fundraisers (although, that will of course be an important part of her responsibilities as a patron)

Daria_S 01-04-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baroness of Books (Post 1354112)
Don't know how much of a surprise this will be if it's reported in the media!

I'm still trying to figure out how they found this out (and if it's indeed the case for Catherine's birthday celebrations.....just doesn't strike me as something she'd want). However, these leaks give all involved some time to plan and devise a strategy that will fool the press and make the occasion as low-key as possible. I sincerely hope that Catherine's birthday will be what she would want and be comfortable with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by regardez (Post 1354120)
I wonder if they read about themselves or if the Duke's secretary just tells them what they need to know.

I would imagine that it would be one nasty surprise to go out to run errands and see something about one's birthday plans (especially if they were meant to stay hidden) plastered all over the news-stands. I hope that someone from their staff informs them of what is afoot so that there are no uncomfortable situations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baroness of Books (Post 1354123)
I can't imagine Kate being so insulated from the press, especially when she goes out shopping and might pick up a newspaper on her daily activities or switching on the TV.

I'm with you here. That would be not very pleasant and there's no reason for it either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosapru (Post 1354124)
The Birmingham Daily Mail jumped the embargo gun and published a list of the Duchess of Cambridge's charities.

Thank you for the information. Looking forward to seeing the full list of the Duchess's choices and patronages. I'm glad to see that she's doing something related to children with special needs. That field could use having some influential advocates.

Rosapru 01-04-2012 02:55 PM

First patronage. The others are published tomorrow

Action on Addiction - Home

EIIR 01-04-2012 03:36 PM

I'm glad that, from what little we know so far, she appears to be going for patronages which aren't particularly glamorous. By that I mean, it's easy to go to Africa, hold a starving child for a few pictures and slope off again. Similarly with puppies and kittens. Addiction is certainly not a glamorous topic and yet it has an absolutely enormous impact on society.

In terms of the embargo, I'd pretty much guarantee that the press have had this information for some time but are not to release it until a particular time specified by Kate's people. I suppose it's so that the press people at Clarence House/St James's Palace are all in place and ready to deal with the legion of press enquiries.

soapstar 01-04-2012 04:27 PM

I've also read that an embargo allows the media to be able to research and get background information before the official announcement is made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHHermione (Post 1354134)
Then it probably is a personal choice. I can't wait to see what work she's planning to do- I hope some of it is very hands on and that her patronage isn't limited to fundraisers (although, that will of course be an important part of her responsibilities as a patron)

I agree. I would love to see her become very hands on. The one thing I've always admired about William and Harry is their dedication to their charities. They tend to go beyond the fundraisers and really get involved - William spending the night on the streets in London and Harry trekking to the North Pole. I think if Kate follows their example, she will do very well.

Sonjapearl 01-04-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosapru (Post 1354159)
First patronage. The others are published tomorrow

Action on Addiction - Home

Sounds like a good idea, but doesn't hit too close to home with her Uncle Gary? The one with the Ibiza home?

TortillaChips 01-04-2012 07:09 PM

Clarence House:

The Duchess of Cambridge is to become Patron of four UK charities @TheArtRoomUK @NPGLondon @EACH_Hospices and Action on Addiction

The Duchess of Cambridge will also become a volunteer with @UKScouting, spending time privately with groups in N. Wales and elsewhere

BBC Article

EIIR 01-04-2012 07:26 PM

Information on each of the organisations from the Times:

Action on Addiction
Helps people at treatment centres in Merseyside, London, Wiltshire and Dorset.
It also supports their families, commissions research and trains counsellors. Recently started providing help for children affected by addicted parents. Has an annual turnover of about Ģ7 million and employs 140 people, including researchers, medics, psychiatrists, therapists and counsellors.

East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices
Cares for children with life-threatening conditions across Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk. Has hospices in Milton, Quiddenham and Ipswich. As well as day care and overnight breaks, it also provides end-of-life care in the hospice or at home. Has 220 staff, and raises Ģ6 million to Ģ7 million a year.

The Art Room
Set up in 2002, it uses art to help 5 to 16-year-olds who are experiencing emotional and behavioural difficulties.
It maintains a dedicated art room in four secondary and primary schools in Oxford and one in Islington, North London, running sessions from one to four days a week. Also works with a further 22 schools.
Employs 14 staff, including teachers, artists and psychotherapists, and has a turnover of Ģ350,000 a year.

National Portrait Gallery
Founded in 1856, it has the most extensive collection of portraits in the world — more than 160,000 spanning from the 16th century to today, including painting, sculpture, photography and video.
Entrance to the permanent collection is free. It attracts 1.8 million visitors a year and generates nearly 60 per cent of its income from memberships, paid-for exhibitions, its restaurant, publications and corporate support. The rest comes from a government grant of Ģ7,577,000.

Scout Association
Provides adventurous activities and personal development for more than 400,000 young people aged 6 to 25 across Britain. Nearly 100,000 volunteers help with activities.
Scouting, founded in 1907 by Lord Baden-Powell, is the largest co-education youth organisation in the world, with 28 million members across 216 countries.

Of course, Kate can't become Patron of the Scouts because they've already got one - the Queen.

HRHHermione 01-04-2012 07:38 PM

Fantastic choices, all of them. I'm very excited to see what kind of work she does- I'd wager we'll see solo engagements supporting each of these organizations in the very near future (and probably at least a few while William is in the Falklands.)

Baroness of Books 01-04-2012 07:41 PM

Good choices so far; I really like the volunteering with the scouting organization that puts her love of children/young adults and the outdoors into play. Some other choices seem to address her areas of interest and personal experiences as well.

Tiggersk8 01-04-2012 07:42 PM

Thanks for that TortillaChips. Great choices IMO and considering taking part in UK Guiding could have been spun as stepping on Sophie's toes (She is the Honourary President of UKGuiding after all), working w/UK Scouting is a great way of still helping out w/the organization. My Family is a Guiding and Scouting Family, so to me, Kate deciding to volunteer w/UK Scouting is kind of special to me and will be to my Aunt Robbie, long time Scouts Canada Leader, too once she hears.

soapstar 01-04-2012 08:22 PM

I think she made some excellent choices. I look forward to seeing her work with these charities.

Here are the announcements from a few of the charities.

The Art Room: HRH The Duchess of Cambridge becomes Royal Patron of The Art Room

Scouting welcomes royal volunteer

Action on Addiction - HRH

More info on her work with the scouts.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ja...rities-support

ghost_night554 01-04-2012 08:48 PM

The Duchess of Cambridge joins the scouts - YouTube

Baroness of Books 01-04-2012 08:51 PM

Thanks for posting that clip, Ghost Night. Looks like there's a lot of activities the Duchess can certainly be engaged in.

Daria_S 01-04-2012 09:13 PM

The article from 'The Guardian' regarding Catherine's charity choices.

Duchess of Cambridge names the charities she will support | UK news | The Guardian

I think what she chose reflects her interests and passions, and as someone pointed out, there's little to no glamour in any of the causes. I think Catherine will take the 'hands-on' approach and these causes will definitely allow her to do so. There's nothing like visiting/working with a sick/severely disabled child, or going to a camping trip with a group of eight-year-olds. Again, this reflects on her kind and caring personality. She's very lucky to be able to use her passions to make a difference.

Skippyboo 01-04-2012 09:57 PM

All great choices, I agree that Kate is going to very hands on with her patronage not just showing up and cutting a ribbon.

I can see it now - A new Man & Princess vs Wild episode - Kate & Bear with a pack of cub scouts camping on Mt Snowdon. Bear using Kate's engagement ring to focus the sunlight to light a fire. :)

blauerengel 01-04-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daria_S (Post 1354274)
I think what she chose reflects her interests and passions, and as someone pointed out, there's little to no glamour in any of the causes. I think Catherine will take the 'hands-on' approach and these causes will definitely allow her to do so. There's nothing like visiting/working with a sick/severely disabled child, or going to a camping trip with a group of eight-year-olds. Again, this reflects on her kind and caring personality. She's very lucky to be able to use her passions to make a difference.

Exactly,I feel the same & I wish her good luck with her new work!Iīm sure she wonīt disappoint,she will do great as always and be able to light up the world for some of the people she is helping.

HRHHermione 01-04-2012 10:23 PM

YAY! Looking forward to some great discussions about what will hopefully be a lot of great and interesting work for her. Can't wait for her first solo engagements in support of these organizations.

No1_Saint 01-04-2012 10:48 PM

Very worthy causes. I am sure that she will be an inspiration for many young professionals to increase their philanthropic undertakings in the future.

Tiggersk8 01-04-2012 10:58 PM

Am I the only one who can't wait to see Kate in the Scouting Uniform? :oD

I wonder what she'll be doing w/the National Portrait Gallery though? Perhaps concentrating on helping in various restoration projects, both hands on and also fundraising. As a BA in Art History, she has the background/training to do more than just fundraise for the NPG after all.

Just thinking out loud. :o)

HRHHermione 01-04-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 (Post 1354298)

I wonder what she'll be doing w/the National Portrait Gallery though? Perhaps concentrating on helping in various restoration projects, both hands on and also fundraising. As a BA in Art History, she has the background/training to do more than just fundraise for the NPG after all.

Just thinking out loud. :o)

No she doesn't- a BA in art history knows the history of art, but nothing about the delicate science of restoration or the details that go into curating an exhibit- that's much more specialized knowledge.

I'm not trying to disparage the Duchess in any way- I think she'll do very good fundraising work for the National Portrait Gallery. But I've read many suggestions over the last year that her BA in Art History means she has the credentials to work on restoration and that's always seemed a dubious claim to me.

To quote the RF's own Diarist, "This is only my opinion and I don't wish to offend" :flowers:

Osipi 01-04-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1354280)
I can see it now - A new Man & Princess vs Wild episode - Kate & Bear with a pack of cub scouts camping on Mt Snowdon. Bear using Kate's engagement ring to focus the sunlight to light a fire. :)

And Kate winking at Bear ans quipping "a good scout always remembers to be prepared. I knew this ring would come in handy".:biggrin:

Tiggersk8 01-04-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHHermione (Post 1354300)
No she doesn't- a BA in art history knows the history of art, but nothing about the delicate science of restoration or the details that go into curating an exhibit- that's much more specialized knowledge.

I'm not trying to disparage the Duchess in any way- I think she'll do very good fundraising work for the National Portrait Gallery. But I've read many suggestions over the last year that her BA in Art History means she has the credentials to work on restoration and that's always seemed a dubious claim to me.

To quote the RF's own Diarist, "This is only my opinion and I don't wish to offend" :flowers:

None taken, as I said, I was just thinking out loud. However, I do see Catherine taking on a heavy role in any kind of an event where the NPG is attempting to raise funds for a major restoration project. As the Patron of the NPG, that would be one of her roles as I understand it. It would also be a wonderful way for Catherine to use her Degree to her advantage, as she would be able to explain the importance of the various pieces of art and their relevance to British Culture and Heritage to those attending any such future event.

Or perhaps she might come up w/some manner of a program w/the NPG to try and spark more young people's interest in Art, but in a hip and young way. I remember all too well being sent to our local Art Gallery on a School Field Trip during Public School years and being rather bored out of my skull. Those were different times of course, but even now a trip to an Art Gallery isn't exactly the kind of Field Trip that makes kids jump up and down w/glee. That could be another possible avenue for her to take w/her Patronage of the NPG.

As I said earlier though...I'm just thinking out loud... :flowers:

HRHHermione 01-04-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 (Post 1354304)
Or perhaps she might come up w/some manner of a program w/the NPG to try and spark more young people's interest in Art, but in a hip and young way. I remember all too well being sent to our local Art Gallery on a School Field Trip during Public School years and being rather bored out of my skull. Those were different times of course, but even now a trip to an Art Gallery isn't exactly the kind of Field Trip that makes kids jump up and down w/glee. That could be another possible avenue for her to take w/her Patronage of the NPG.

As I said earlier though...I'm just thinking out loud... :flowers:

Now that makes complete sense, and intersects very well with one of her other choices- The Art Room.

Daria_S 01-05-2012 02:16 AM

Some more articles dealing with Catherine's charities of choice.

The charities chosen by the Duchess of Cambridge - Telegraph

Duchess of Cambridge to be a Scout leader as well as patron of four charities - Telegraph

Duke of Marmalade 01-05-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 (Post 1354298)

She already did, many years ago ;)
Kate joins the Scouts: Ex-Brownie to help with cooking and campfires as package of royal patronages is unveiled | Mail Online

Sancia 01-05-2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EIIR (Post 1354177)
I'm glad that, from what little we know so far, she appears to be going for patronages which aren't particularly glamorous. By that I mean, it's easy to go to Africa, hold a starving child for a few pictures and slope off again. Similarly with puppies and kittens. Addiction is certainly not a glamorous topic and yet it has an absolutely enormous impact on society.

It reminds me some of the charities supported by their wedding fund, Beatbullying and Venture Trust. Not very glamourous but so necessary. I had been very impressed by such a choice, and I am impressed too by the Duchess of Cambridge's news patronage. It sounds like a very wise choice, something with deep commitment.

Kataryn 01-05-2012 05:20 AM

I'm sad that already people commend on the Daily Mail website that it's not enough compared with the queen's patronages... Do they all forget that Catherine is not yet the queen but that the queen won't live forever so that in the future a lot of patronages need new patrons?

I personally like the fact that she chose small charities where she can personally change things for the better because the time will come when she is requested to become only a Royal figurehead to large organizations with no way to really influence the ongoings at those organizations.

marine2109 01-05-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Kate chooses five charities ahead of milestone birthday
Kate Middleton charities: The new royal has chosen five to support - hellomagazine.com

blauerengel 01-05-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataryn (Post 1354358)
I'm sad that already people commend on the Daily Mail website that it's not enough compared with the queen's patronages... Do they all forget that Catherine is not yet the queen but that the queen won't live forever so that in the future a lot of patronages need new patrons?

I personally like the fact that she chose small charities where she can personally change things for the better because the time will come when she is requested to become only a Royal figurehead to large organizations with no way to really influence the ongoings at those organizations.

Thereīs a saying "Quality,not quantity"-I am happy that she didnīt chose so many charities but a few so that she can truly dedicate herself to these cases in depth instead of patronising a large number of charities and not being able to fully immerse herself in the work.I believe that you canīt do good work if you have too many affiliations and jobs at the same time...

muriel 01-05-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blauerengel (Post 1354407)
Thereīs a saying "Quality,not quantity"-I am happy that she didnīt chose so many charities but a few so that she can truly dedicate herself to these cases in depth instead of patronising a large number of charities and not being able to fully immerse herself in the work.I believe that you canīt do good work if you have too many affiliations and jobs at the same time...

I think the quantity will folllow quite quickly. I am sure this is the first in a series of announcements over the next few years. Camilla gradually built up her portfolio of patronages over the first few years of her married life. My sense is that Catherine will be quite hands on with these charities, and gradually add more. I suspect she will increasingly get involved with some of HM's charities as well, and in time, may start to take some of those over.

Mirabel 01-05-2012 08:28 AM

Nothing against her choices, but I was hoping she'd include something from the Performing Arts.
I hope she'll add more once she gets her feet wet.

Baroness of Books 01-05-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blauerengel (Post 1354407)

So true; she'll be able to devote more of her time and energy to fewer select groups and do a more comprehensive job than spreading herself out too thin over too many. Kate can always add more as her experience grows. Best of luck to her in her new endeavors; I think she made some good choices and I'm sure she'll acquit herself admirably.

EIIR 01-05-2012 11:34 AM

Some tweets from Sky News Royal Reporter Paul Harrison. He had obviously spent the last few days at least visiting these charities and talking to them about Kate.

St James' keen to stress Kate wanted to give something back to Anglesey community as William does - hence Scout volunteering

Kate arrived at the Cambridgeshire hospice and asked lots of questions armed with a portfolio of background reading

while at Cambs hospice, 13 y/o girl Madi grabbed Kate by hand and took her to play room - Kate took off her shoes to play on mats

reckon there'll be lots of dads in North Wales saying "come on son, you know you want to join the cubs."

Richard Palmer of the Daily Express reckons Kate will start her sole engagements within the next month or so.

Baroness of Books 01-05-2012 12:37 PM

:previous:And no doubt Cub volunteerism in N. Wales will be going up as well! That's a nice anecdote about Kate kicking off her shoes to join in the play; she really gets into her role with children and that's a very good indication of being totally involved in her role.

Daria_S 01-05-2012 02:05 PM

I found all of these on my twitter, so I'm sharing them with you.

A video from NBC
Duchess Kate

A video from ABC
Kate Middleton to Reveal Supported Charities | Video - ABC News

This is a very touching story, and once again, tells us a great deal about Catherine's character and level of compassion.
Cambridge News | Health-and-Beauty | Family | Caring Kate visits EACH

Some reasoning behind Catherine's choices.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Blogs | Richard Palmer | Royal blog: Why Kate, Duchess of Cambridge chose her charities | Exclusive opinion, news and views from Daily and Sunday Express's top writers

I think for the present, she chose well (and that goes with the amount of charities she chose to support). She can get really involved and not worry about running around all over the place. That will come in a few years, I'm sure. People of course are never satisfied, so the comments in the DM 'Comment' section are not at all surprising.

Lenora 01-05-2012 02:10 PM

Daria_S, thank you for sharing this information with us,it's a very interesting information.
Once more,I am convinced that Kate is not only intelligent person,but with strong personality.Judging from her classical choices,I think that her mind is more masculine in strategy and she really had the sense of contact with public,she never loses this sense while attending the official events.

Daria_S 01-05-2012 02:24 PM

Lenora, you're very welcome.

I think Catherine's strong personality comes from the fact that she's very self-aware, and therefore knows her own mind, likes, dislikes and capabilities. She doesn't need anyone else to tell her which organizations she should support; she can (and did) make the decision by herself. I think her ability to have such a good rapport with the public is because of the fact that she comes off as a naturally friendly person. She feels at ease being in a group of people (I don't want to say that she likes being the center of attention, because I don't see it that way). She'll make a great impact, and I'm personally looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

LadyGabrielle 01-05-2012 02:33 PM

I have to agree. Catherine is quite confident in her role as a royal and she is very comfortable with the public. I like the charities that she chose, it does show her compassion. I think this is a good stepping stone to her eventually adding more charities to her list. Cant wait to see her in action.

Daria_S 01-05-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle (Post 1354521)
I have to agree. Catherine is quite confident in her role as a royal and she is very comfortable with the public. I like the charities that she chose, it does show her compassion. I think this is a good stepping stone to her eventually adding more charities to her list. Cant wait to see her in action.

I don't think we have to wait too long to see her in action. This is from my twitter feed.

britishroyals British Royals
RT @RoyalReporter: The Duchess of Cambridge is expected to start undertaking her first solo royal duties in the next few weeks.

LadyGabrielle 01-05-2012 02:51 PM

Yippeee! How exciting. She really has begun her work quite quickly. She must feel she is ready to take the plunge.

Renata4711 01-05-2012 03:15 PM

She also has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable advisors !

Grandduchess24 01-05-2012 03:55 PM

The duchess of Cambridge made some good choices in patronages and it's good to see her support these charities.isn't she a patron of the charities that her husband supports.

Diarist 01-05-2012 04:21 PM

I wonder if I could add a few thoughts on Catherine's recently announced patronages?

First, I am so glad that she is now putting together some royal duties. I have said elsewhere on TRF that although the last thing that we want to see is the Duchess overworked, I do think it is time she started work. She is by far the best educated of recent 'recruits' to the BRF, and at nearly 30 years old, and without having very much in the way of 'regular' employment behind her, I did think that it was time that she now actually did something, particuarly bearing in mind that William has a proper professional career. It is also perhaps quite timely for Catherine to start a busier royal career, particularly as Prince Philip and some of the other senior [in years] royals are presumably going to have to be relinquishing some of their patronages over the next few years

To answer a few questions: Yes, it is indeed the practice of many announcements to be embargoed, particularly where there is a royal connection, so as to enable the press to 'get everything in order' [the phrase sometimes used is 'lining up the ducks in a row' so that they have time to prepare the appropriate 'background story' to be released at exactly the same time as the news. If I can give members a recent example, the New Year Honours have just been announced; although they were 'officially announced' on 31 December 2011, the list had been released a couple of days previously so that the newspapers, and particularly local newspapers, could approach those honoured to get their veiws etc. This means that whilst there is an official list in the newspapers, there can be lots of articles appearing the same day in which the recipients say 'I am deeply honoured' / 'I would not have received the OBE without the support of my team' etc etc etc.

Art Charities; just to confirm that in the UK, a BA in History of Art does not qualify someone to work in restoration etc [although I do not know the position with foreign degrees in the same subject]. Restoration requires lots of experience working for master restorers etc. and is generally seen as a post-graduate opportunity. Curating is also something not usually taught in UK History of Art degrees - generally, one then joins a gallery and learns that way. In both cases, though, I think that Catherine's degree could have provided a useful starting point if she had decided on a professional career in either of these two fields.

Scouting. IMHO a fascinating choice. When I was quite young, the position in the UK was that girls were 'Girl Guides' and boys were 'Boy Scouts'. Now, girls can join the scouts, although again, when I was young, junior scouts were known as 'wolf cubs' and sometimes had female leaders. I therefore think it interesting that Catherine is joining the Scouts, not GirlGuiding [as the organisation now styles itself]. In 2012, both scouting and guiding have never been more popular, although what I also find interesting is that royal involvement in the Guiding and Scouting movement 'eased off' in the last 'royal generation' before Catherine. To explain this a little further, the Queen was a very enthusiastic Girl Guide, and was a member of the '1st Buckingham Palace Company' as it was known back in the 1930's. This company was started by the Queen Mother so that her daughter could be a Guide, and other members of the royal family [as in 'royal relatives', rather than in the sense of 'working members of the royal family] and some royal household staff members' daughters also joined the Company. At the same time, a Brownie pack was established at the palace - 'Brownies' is for those girls too young to become Guides - so that Princess Margaret could join in as well. Later, Princess Anne became a member of the 1st Buckingham Palace Company of Girl Guides. The highest award of merit is known as 'Queen's Guide'.

When your humble Diarist was young, Guiding continued to have a very close relationship with the BRF. One of the most senior figures in the movement was Princess Margaret, who became President. There was a large photo of Princess Margaret [in uniform] which hung in many guide halls. The Chief Commissioner, a very important senior position, was Mrs Derek Parker-Bowles, who was the mother of Camilla's first husband Andrew. Although the Countess of Wessex took over as President following the death of Princess Margaret, she seems to be less visible [nothing wrong with that] and of course neither William nor Harry were ever part of the Scout movement. It is therefore interesting to see a more active royal link with the movement being established with Catherine's generation.

The hospice is in Cambridgeshire, so there is a link to Catherine's title.

Action on Addiction is quite an intersting choice. Addiction is, as people here have pointed out, far from glamorous, although interestingly, this particular addiction charity has been one of the more 'fashionable' [if that is the right word] of the addiction charities for 'Society' to get involved with. Going back 15 years or so, one of the most popular fundraising balls was the charity's 'Jester Ball', held in London and all rather grand. The organisation did do quite a bit to remove the 'stigma' behind addiction.

Good Luck to Catherine; I think that royal patronages are what the particular 'royal' brings to them and so there is the chance for Catherine to carve out a real role for herself, rather than being a 'name on a piece of paper' which was the accusation often levelled at Princess Margaret, who in the end, rightly or wrongly, was thought of as rather lazy during the 1960's onwards.

Just my thoughts, and not meant to offend,

Alex

roseroyal 01-05-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daria_S (Post 1354503)
I found all of these on my twitter, so I'm sharing them with you.

This is a very touching story, and once again, tells us a great deal about Catherine's character and level of compassion.*
Cambridge News | Health-and-Beauty | Family | Caring Kate visits EACH

I was not surprised in the least at C's compassion, but still.... wanted to tear up! Those kids are lucky to have her!
*Agree with you Daria!
Overall, I am thrilled with C's choices. Later on, as she adds to her charities, I'd love to see a few that deal with:
  • Animals ( Might be tricky due to the whole BRF history of hunting thing! Just my opinion, not wanting to start an arguement)
  • The elderly

CrownPrincess5 01-05-2012 05:15 PM

I think Kate picked well. I was surprised to see the direction she went into. I was expecting her to mirror more of Diana's type of patronages but it's nice seeing her make awareness to projects she cares about. Her choices makes me respect her more and it tells me a lot about her character.

PrincessKaimi 01-05-2012 05:27 PM

If the Duchess chose to help curate an exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery ("Favorite Portraits of the Duchess of Cambridge), I suspect it would go over very well. It would also give her something to do that extends her university training. Anyone can put together a "favorites" selection - even if it's only a calendar or something.

If it were a calendar, I'd buy it (and so would many others). It would be interesting to see who she chose (and I suspect Kate would be a fine chooser and not simply grab the obvious choices).

EIIR 01-05-2012 05:58 PM

The National Portrait Gallery has actually been involved with one of Prince Charles's charities - the Prince's Foundation for Children and the Arts and their project called Face Britain (facebritain.org.uk) whereby every child in the UK aged between 4 and 16 has been invited to submit a portrait of themselves. They will all be displayed on the website and each one will be used to make a giant mosaic of the Queen to be projected onto Buckingham Palace to kick off the Diamond Jubilee.

They're trying to break the Guinness World Record for the most artists contributing to the same art installation. Even before the project was officially launched they had 6,000 submissions.

I could see Catherine perhaps doing something on this project perhaps via the NPG? Mingling two of her main interests - art and children?

roseroyal 01-05-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 (Post 1354565)
I think Kate picked well. I was surprised to see the direction she went into. I was expecting her to mirror more of Diana's type of patronages but it's nice seeing her make awareness to projects she cares about. Her choices makes me respect her more and it tells me a lot about her character.

Agreed! I was expecting she would take a path similar to Diana as well, but hoping she would not. I am thrilled she has not, because even though Diana supported some very worthy causes, the path Catherine has chosen shows that she is her own person, who does things her own way.
Even the similar causes to Diana, ( addiction, mental health, ill children, etc.) will be wonderfully different, because Cathrine will bring her own special touch.
Long story short: I do not want Catherine to be the new Diana, I want her to be Catherine, the wonderful lady that she is. I know I am not the only one.

Daria_S 01-05-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 (Post 1354565)

Well said :flowers:. I'm glad she's carving her own image, with her own passions. My respect for her has definitely risen (not that it's ever been low). She's doing fabulously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi (Post 1354569)
If the Duchess chose to help curate an exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery ("Favorite Portraits of the Duchess of Cambridge), I suspect it would go over very well. It would also give her something to do that extends her university training. Anyone can put together a "favorites" selection - even if it's only a calendar or something.

If it were a calendar, I'd buy it (and so would many others). It would be interesting to see who she chose (and I suspect Kate would be a fine chooser and not simply grab the obvious choices).

Oh, if she were to curate and exhibit, there would be a great turnout (and maybe even get those who are not keen on art interested in it). I would go just to see what her tastes are (and to see the works displayed at NPG). A calendar of her favorite pieces would be a great way to raise funds. Those who cannot attend the exhibit can purchase the calendar and see what NPG has to offer (and learn about Catherine's tastes in art).

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseroyal (Post 1354593)
[/B]
Agreed! I was expecting she would take a path similar to Diana as well, but hoping she would not. I am thrilled she has not, because even though Diana supported some very worthy causes, the path Catherine has chosen shows that she is her own person, who does things her own way.
Even the similar causes to Diana, ( addiction, mental health, ill children, etc.) will be wonderfully different, because Cathrine will bring her own special touch.
Long story short: I do not want Catherine to be the new Diana, I want her to be Catherine, the wonderful lady that she is. I know I am not the only one.

I agree completely, but the last part of your post hit the nail on the head. People shouldn't expect Catherine to become another Diana. That's not healthy or fair, because no one can be someone else. People should try and accept Catherine for the wonderful, caring and compassionate person that she is, and the good that she will do for the United Kingdom and Commonwealth. Like you, I won't want Catherine to be anyone but her wonderful and giving self.

Baroness of Books 01-05-2012 08:05 PM

I'm sure Kate was well aware to steer clear of charities that might have emulated Diana's and therefore cause comparisons in any way. I would have been surprised if she hadn't chosen her own direction since she seems a person who wants to put her own stamp on whatever she's involved in.

Anna Catherine 01-05-2012 10:43 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by the patronages that Kate chose. I'm really excited. I too am a little confused as to what kind of work she will do with the Nation Potrait Gallery other than visiting events and exhibits, but then every royal has a patronage in which it is mostly just a show up and and show support to garner interest kind of thing. Either way I don't care, I'm just so darn excited!

Skippyboo 01-05-2012 11:40 PM

What I like is the cross over possibilities of Kate and William's charity work. The addiction charity and Centerpointe could work together since addiction often leads to homelessness.The NPG and Art room could work together. The Mardsen & Cambridge Hospice The welsh cub scouts could buddy up with Irish Guards, RAF Sar, Army Air Corps to adopt a serviceman. Field trip to RAF Valley to check out the Sea King ? I bet Kate will drop off some nice macaroni diamond julibee cards to her Majesty this summer as the scouts earn some merit badges.

Daria_S 01-05-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1354664)
What I like is the cross over possibilities of Kate and William's charity work. The addiction charity and Centerpointe could work together since addiction often leads to homelessness.The NPG and Art room could work together. The Mardsen & Cambridge Hospice The welsh cub scouts could buddy up with Irish Guards, RAF Sar, Army Air Corps to adopt a serviceman. Field trip to RAF Valley to check out the Sea King ? I bet Kate will drop off some nice macaroni diamond julibee cards to her Majesty this summer as the scouts earn some merit badges.

Wow! These are great ideas, and I really hope that some of them will actually be put into action. I love the idea of the kids making cards for Her Majesty, or visiting the RAF base and getting to climb on a helicopter. So many possibilities here.

Mirabel 01-06-2012 08:48 AM

Am I the only person who is not too keen on the Scouting involvement?

(Personally, I have never liked Scouting, ever since I heard some police talking about how it inevitably becomes a magnet for pedophiles). I realize they try to be careful about vetting the volunteers, and that the same may be said about any organization that deals with children, but it still makes me uneasy).

I think Kate might have chosen another organization dealing with children, particularly since the Queen is already the patron of this one.

EIIR 01-06-2012 09:15 AM

In the UK it has actually become quite difficult to volunteer with children. Kate will have to go through a number of checks, including a full Criminal Records Bureau check before she can get involved with the children.

There is a waiting list of something like 30,000 children in the UK who want to join the Scouts but are on a waiting list because of the lack of volunteers. The very rigorous background checks have been, in part, blamed for the lack of volunteers. People just don't want to go through the hassle.

So in volunteering Kate's really encouraging other adults to do the same. The Scouts is a wonderful organisation which I'm sure does all it possibly can to ensure that children are kept safe during their time with them.

See the following link for info on the checks Kate will have to undergo:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...volunteer.html

Lenora 01-06-2012 09:28 AM

It has emerged that even the Duchess of Cambridge underwent a check by the Criminal Records Bureau before becoming a volunteer for the Scouts

Read more: Kate Middleton underwent criminal records check to become Scouts volunteer | Mail Online

Duchess of Durham 01-06-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenora (Post 1354805)
It has emerged that even the Duchess of Cambridge underwent a check by the Criminal Records Bureau before becoming a volunteer for the Scouts

Read more: Kate Middleton underwent criminal records check to become Scouts volunteer | Mail Online

When adults are going to interact with children, I think background checks are necessary. Sad, but necessary. And making a high ranking royal go through the background check prevents the organization from being accused of favoritism. Kudos to Kate for just doing it versus getting all high and mighty about it just because of her new found status.

Mermaid1962 01-06-2012 10:12 AM

I honestly don't think that a person with pedophile tendencies could get into Scout leadership these days. Besides the criminal-background checks, there's training for leaders in how they should behave to prevent even the slightest suggestion of impropriety. My brother was a Scout leader at one time and told me about all the rules they had to follow. One firm one was that a leader could never be alone with a child.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 1354794)
(Personally, I have never liked Scouting, ever since I heard some police talking about how it inevitably becomes a magnet for pedophiles). I realize they try to be careful about vetting the volunteers, and that the same may be said about any organization that deals with children, but it still makes me uneasy).

Excalibur 01-06-2012 10:16 AM

As a Scout volunteer (Girl Scout leader in the US), I am thrilled beyond measure at Kate's decision to volunteer with Scouting. I have seen firsthand how difficult it can be to recruit adult volunteers. And it breaks my heart to know that 30,000+ children are being denied the opportunities that this great organization affords its members. I don't know specifics about UK Scouting and Guiding, but here in the US, Scouting promotes self-esteem, self-sufficiency, entrepreneurship, among other things, and above all, community service. I would imagine it is the same with Scouting world-wide. These are ideals that are sorely lacking in too many of today's youth. If our world is to improve, we need these young people involved in organizations like Scouting. And if just one adult volunteers due to Kate's involvement, then that is several children (future adults) who are destined for a different path in life. Kudos to Kate!

Daria_S 01-06-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Working with children is a big responsibility, and whether one is royal or not, it's important to make sure that the person that is being taken on is not going to engage in foul play (and hasn't done so in the past).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham (Post 1354812)
When adults are going to interact with children, I think background checks are necessary. Sad, but necessary. And making a high ranking royal go through the background check prevents the organization from being accused of favoritism. Kudos to Kate for just doing it versus getting all high and mighty about it just because of her new found status.

In complete agreement here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 1354828)
I honestly don't think that a person with pedophile tendencies could get into Scout leadership these days. Besides the criminal-background checks, there's training for leaders in how they should behave to prevent even the slightest suggestion of impropriety. My brother was a Scout leader at one time and told me about all the rules they had to follow. One firm one was that a leader could never be alone with a child.

I've worked with children since I was sixteen years old, and as the years went by, the background checks got more and more rigorous. Also, as you said, one of the rules is that no volunteer or even paid personnel in some cases is allowed to be alone with a child (unless the person is assigned to a specific child as a one-to-one aide, as is the case in many special education establishments).

My contribution for today is in the form of two articles found on my twitter feed (well one is blog post).

From British Royals

Duchess of Cambridge Announces Patronages | British Royals

From 'The Telegraph'

Here’s one Duchess who won’t be tied up in knots - Telegraph

CrownPrincess5 01-06-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

I get that she's dealing with children and it's probably protocol to background check everyone. But I think it's ridiculous if you know the person. Kate is well known celebrity I don't see why she needs a background check.

Daria_S 01-06-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 (Post 1354891)
I get that she's dealing with children and it's probably protocol to background check everyone. But I think it's ridiculous if you know the person. Kate is well known celebrity I don't see why she needs a background check.

I think that if they didn't have her go through a background check, there would be accusations that they are playing favorites and allowing someone to get away with going through regular procedures just because he/she is a high profile individual. In this case, equal treatment is the way to go.

blauerengel 01-06-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 1354831)
As a Scout volunteer (Girl Scout leader in the US), I am thrilled beyond measure at Kate's decision to volunteer with Scouting. I have seen firsthand how difficult it can be to recruit adult volunteers. And it breaks my heart to know that 30,000+ children are being denied the opportunities that this great organization affords its members. I don't know specifics about UK Scouting and Guiding, but here in the US, Scouting promotes self-esteem, self-sufficiency, entrepreneurship, among other things, and above all, community service. I would imagine it is the same with Scouting world-wide. These are ideals that are sorely lacking in too many of today's youth. If our world is to improve, we need these young people involved in organizations like Scouting. And if just one adult volunteers due to Kate's involvement, then that is several children (future adults) who are destined for a different path in life. Kudos to Kate!

Iīve also been participating in a Girls Scout Group in my country and it was such a great experience!What I like about the Scouting movement is the time you spend outdoors doing all kinds of sports & learning about nature and respecting the environment.(We were always told that we have to leave a place as clean as we have found it & if there was rubbish lying around we were tought to pick it up and take it to the next waste bin-things like that might seem neglible,but if everybody just made a few small steps to make the world a little bit better everyday our combined efforts can make a huge difference.)IMO nowadays a lot of children spend too much time watching tv,playing computer games or surfing the internet-I believe that it doesnīt do them much good and I am delighted that the Duchess has chosen to promote Scouting:-)

Daria_S 01-06-2012 06:38 PM

A more detailed article about one of the charities Catherine chose; Action on Addiction.

The duchess and the drug addicts: charity salutes new royal patron | From the Guardian | The Guardian

MARG 01-06-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 (Post 1354891)

To be honest, I am sure that the PTB carried out a complete "Vetting" of Catherine years ago. This is not the same as a criminal record check, which obviously she has none, but a deep check on her background, family, associates, etc.

Here in NZ it is a legal requirement for anyone being employed to deal with at risk people, namely children, the mentally fragile, the sick and elderly to carry out such vetting. Even many churches require Sunday School teachers and Pastoral Visitors to be vetted!

It is not merely a matter of "protocol" but if not internally mandatory, it could possibly be a legal requirement that the Scouting Movement have such checks carried out on their volunteers, regardless of who they are.

As for Catherine being a "Celebrity", well many celebrities have proved to be closet deviants. The Scouting movement merely dotted their i's and crossed the t's.

XeniaCasaraghi 01-06-2012 07:29 PM

I used to be a girl scout and I admit I wouldn't volunteer with them now as an adult. I found no purpose to being involved with them as a child and see it as a waste of my time; would much rather work for the YWCA, music or art program or a child care.
I believe Kate used to be a Brownie at least and it's good to see that she had such a good experience with them that now she wants to return.

Tiggersk8 01-06-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

I think Kate might have chosen another organization dealing with children, particularly since the Queen is already the patron of this one.

As someone who has been involved in Guiding most of my life and from a Family where Guiding and Scouting is a Family thing, I have to say that's one of the most ignorant reasons I've ever heard for disliking Scouting and Guiding. They were established by the same person, so they can be considered to Brother and Sister Organizations IMO.

Guess what? Anything regarding Children and Adults working closely w/them is a magnet for Pedophiles. Not just Scouting and Guiding and to just instantly decide to dislike an excellent organization due to one statement and not learning more about it and the amazing work they do, just floors me.

As someone who is intmately involved w/both Guiding and Scouting Movements to read something like that...All I'll say is I'm beyond unimpressed and leave it at that.

Feeling that way towards something like Baby/Child Pagents I could understand, but Scouting!?!

Kate chose an excellent organization to volunteer her time w/and I'm sure the young people in whose lives she will touch, after getting over the entire "Princess Kate is my Scout Leader" thing, will never forget it either. I have no doubt whatsoever she'll be an excellent Scout Leader. Those kids are very lucky to have her.

NGalitzine 01-06-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi (Post 1355063)
would much rather work for the YWCA, music or art program or a child care.

......and do you volunteer your time with any of those organizations??

MARG 01-06-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Wow! So basically Scouting carries more than a whiff of paedophilia which Catherine should avoid but, conversely, the Queen's OK to be it's Patron?

FYI, magnets for paedophiles include (in no particular order), Church, Sunday school, pre-school, primary school, high school, sports clubs, high school football, wrestling, basketball, baseball, soccer. Scouts, Guides, Brownies, Boys/Girls Brigade, YMCA, YWCA, playgrounds, movie theatres, games arcades . . . . . oh, and let's not forget, Home!

You can safely feel "uneasy" about that, and just about any area of life that children inhabit. So perhaps Catherine would be better off avoiding any children but her own to be on the safe side, lest she interact with any adult who may be less than savoury or, lest she be tainted by association. This could, of course, prove problematic as the only Patronage she would have left is the National Portrait Gallery!

Osipi 01-06-2012 09:18 PM

I know many people that did not really care for scouting while growing up. I think it really all depends on the individual troops and the people that make them up. I preferred scouting over taking tap/ballet (two left feet) so I guess we all find what we're geared to enjoy.

What we need to put into perspective is how much society has changed over the years. My grandmother was a Girl Scout leader, my mother was a leader and so was I. We were also stay at home moms and had the time to be very active in our troops. Things such as pedophilia, amber alerts, single parent families and/or a mother that worked wasn't as common as it is now. To be on the safe side so minds are at ease, I think the adult volunteer screening is a good idea. Scouting I think has always had the child's best interest at heart. All organizations have to adapt to the present society and the more precautions, the better.

I, for one, think that Kate's involvement in scouting is a wonderful thing and does really give back to her home community.

Frelinghighness 01-06-2012 09:31 PM

Promoting scouting is a wonderful idea, especially in light of the childhood obesity epidemic.
But why would she be a patron if the Queen is already a patron? Or can organizations have more than one royal patron?

HRHHermione 01-06-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frelinghighness (Post 1355102)
Promoting scouting is a wonderful idea, especially in light of the childhood obesity epidemic.
But why would she be a patron if the Queen is already a patron? Or can organizations have more than one royal patron?

She's not a patron- she's going to be a volunteer. She's a patron of the other four charities that were named.

XeniaCasaraghi 01-06-2012 10:29 PM

I was one of those people who had not a bad scouting experience but just boring and uninspiring. Now that I am twenty.....um I mean older; I look back and think that I would have liked to do ballet, but little me probably would have disliked it. I don't think it is fair to say someone's fears of pedophilia would be better directed towards pageants; any organizations with children is in danger of attracting those who have sinister motives. I remember a few years ago in the states the media was obsessed with attractive female teachers having affairs with their students. I am one of the few who would be happy with whatever Kate chose because volunteering of any kind is good imo. But from the little I have seen Kate choosing art, addiction, and scouting has roots in her personal history.

BritishRoyals 01-06-2012 11:42 PM

I like the selection of charities, and am particularly impressed with Action on Addiction. It is a very brave choice for someone new. The charities appear very well thought-out, reflective of her interests and they complement William's patronages.

As for the background check: I'm sure it's just formality and she'll pass with flying colors. The British tabloids have been background checking her to the nth degree for years and the worst they could do was find a drug-using uncle and a mother who chewed gum.

carlota 01-07-2012 04:50 PM

this is a great mix of patronages for kate. i liked how she chose small organisations, rather than going for patronages to big organisms.

i can't wait to see her working with them. i guess this will mean that she may start assuming her role solo in the near future than wait for the year they announced earlier (if i well remember it was announced it would take at least a year for her to start her engagements)

some more info on how kate chose her patronages and the next steps of her work with the chosen organisations from the EACH press release:

"The Duchess of Cambridge began her private research into charitable causes
in September 2011. The private programme undertaken by The Duchess
consisted of meetings at St. James’s Palace and private visits to a number of
sites. In addition, The Duchess personally considered all requests for
Patronage that were sent to her.
• The Duchess will, over the coming months, undertake both private and public
visits across the United Kingdom to the organisations of which she is Patron
and Royal Patron."

LadyGabrielle 01-12-2012 02:21 PM

Does anyone know what Catherine is doing now? Are there any pictures of her visiting her charities? Things seem to be quiet at the moment.

agami.pearl 01-12-2012 02:40 PM

So far no informations about her engagements. I think she would do something when William will be abroad. At least I hope that she'll do something.

Baroness of Books 01-12-2012 02:40 PM

Do we know when William is leaving?

Daria_S 01-29-2012 02:36 PM

Catherine will be taking part in some solo engagements while William is in the Falklands.

Duchess of Cambridge begins solo work with Lucian Freud - Telegraph
The Duchess of Cambridge will fly solo while Prince William is on Falkland Islands mission - Telegraph

ghost_night554 03-02-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

LL ‏ @liltinglimes Per @peoplemag & @SPerryPeoplemag's confirmation, Kate has already started volunteering with the Scouts in Wales. @britishroyals
Kate has already begun work with Scouts charity.

ghost_night554 04-06-2012 08:26 PM

Another 4 charities for the Duchess
Kate Middleton to take on another four charity roles - Mirror Online

Daria_S 04-06-2012 10:02 PM

:previous: Thanks for the article, ghost_night :flowers:. I'm really excited to find out what organizations she'll choose to support. Great news indeed.

miche 04-14-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

THE Duchess of Cambridge has been secretly volunteering for the Scouts since Christmas, helping to teach youngsters skills like putting up tents and lighting fires.
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Kate's a constant dyb dab hand at helping the Cubs

ghost_night554 04-19-2012 02:09 AM

BBC News - Duchess of Cambridge hailed as Welsh scout numbers rise

Kataryn 04-19-2012 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle (Post 1357712)
Does anyone know what Catherine is doing now? Are there any pictures of her visiting her charities? Things seem to be quiet at the moment.

You asked that in January: now we could find out, whate she did in "private":

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Kate's a constant dyb dab hand at helping the Cubs

Obviously she started her volonteer work with the Scouts in Anglesey.

Baroness of Books 04-19-2012 09:31 AM

Kate is a quiet force indeed while using her influence to effect positive changes, even as a volunteer.

Duchess of Durham 04-19-2012 06:54 PM

Are kids joining because Kate has brought attention to Scouts, or are kids joining hoping to meet Kate?

I don't mean to be cynical, just a thought that popped in my head.

I'm sure there are some who joined for either reason. Would be curious to know the numbers, though I doubt anyone will ever know.

Lumutqueen 04-20-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham
Are kids joining because Kate has brought attention to Scouts, or are kids joining hoping to meet Kate?

I don't mean to be cynical, just a thought that popped in my head.

I'm sure there are some who joined for either reason. Would be curious to know the numbers, though I doubt anyone will ever know.

I had the same thought. Material may have been published that shows Catherine promoting the scouts, but I haven't seen any. Nor have we seen her doing any engagements for her patronage. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Jacknch 04-20-2012 03:36 AM

In order to give youngsters some credit, I would hope that they are joining the scouts because because the organisation has been highlighted recently (possibly in part by Catherine's involvment).

Excalibur 04-20-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1401840)
I had the same thought. Material may have been published that shows Catherine promoting the scouts, but I haven't seen any. Nor have we seen her doing any engagements for her patronage. I'm leaning towards the latter.

But Scouting is not one of her patronages, so I doubt she would be doing engagements on their behalf. Her participation with the scouts is as a volunteer, so very few pictures, if any.