The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Swedish Royal History (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f191/)
-   -   Counts Sigvard (1907-2002) and Carl Johan (1916-2012) Bernadotte of Wisborg (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f191/counts-sigvard-1907-2002-and-carl-johan-1916-2012-bernadotte-of-wisborg-30529.html)

Esmerelda 03-31-2011 05:40 PM

Counts Sigvard (1907-2002) and Carl Johan (1916-2012) Bernadotte of Wisborg

As far as I know, there isn't a thread on him.

I believe Sigvard was one of the King's uncles who was a famous designer. I have read that he was rather bitter about losing his Royal title after marrying a commoner.

Does anyone know more about him? What kind of relationship did he have with the current King and his family? I understand that King Gustaf Adolf became quite distant with his sons who married commoners though I get the impression that he was rather kinder to his granddaughters.

MAfan 03-31-2011 06:18 PM

I don't know much on this topic; btw, I can recall to have read a newspaper article some years ago, when Sigvard went to the European Court of Human Rights seeking for his former princely titles to be restored, because - he claimed - "I was born a Prince and I want to die a Prince"; he also claimed that titles are for a person like his name, and it's a tort to strip someone his name off.
His royal titles were stripped him off in 1934, when he married to a commoner; the article said it happened just one hour after the marriage was celebrated, and an official of the Royal Court impounded his passport and gave him a new one addressed to Mr. Sigvard Bernadotte.
Due to his marriages to commoners and claims for getting his titles back, he remained estranged from his family for decades, and - if I recall correctly - especially after his brother Bertil and his nephew the King married themselves to commoners, but didn't lose titles and throne.

Marengo 03-31-2011 06:29 PM

Weren't there some issues with the Ruby tiara that Queen Silvia now wears? I believe it was owned by prince Sigvard, but he later sold it to the king. I believe there were some issues about it in the Swedish press but I do not recall what was the issue.

Esmerelda 04-01-2011 03:22 AM

Sigvard Bernadotte, 94; Former Swedish Prince - Los Angeles Times

LadyFinn 07-02-2014 03:44 AM

Playing cards made and signed by Sigvard Bernadotte are in auction at Stockholms Auktionsverk.
Sigvards spelkort Bakom Kulisserna
Auktion Sigvard Bernadotte Stockholms Auktionsverk Magasin 5 254939
Auktion Sigvard Bernadotte litografier Stockholms Auktionsverk Magasin 5 255445

An Ard Ri 11-04-2014 03:55 PM

Prince Sigvard of Sweden marries Fraulein Erika Patzek a in London,March 1934.

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/6...fficers-around

LadyFinn 01-02-2015 08:21 AM

Sigvard and Marianne Bernadotte with the king
https://www.vavawoom.com/karolina/wp-...31_507_350.jpg

Sigvard got the prince Eugen -medal from the king in 1997
https://wwwc.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/0105/14/kungen.jpg

LadyFinn 09-30-2017 12:39 AM

Article about count Carl Johan at Svensk Damtidning
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

LadyFinn 11-04-2017 06:01 AM

Article about count Sigvard at Svensk Damtidning

LadyFinn 01-01-2019 02:32 PM

Count Carl Johan on his 90th birthday 31st October 2006
With his wife countess Gunnila

with his children Monica Bonde and Christian Bernadotte.

with his grandchildren Carl Johan, Ebba and Marianne Bonde and Christina, Richard and Philip Bernadotte

Count Carl Johan and countess Gunnila with count Bertil and countess Jill Bernadotte

Christian Bernadotte is the Chairman Of The Board at Swedish American Chamber of Commerce in Ohio
Christian Bernadotte - Chairman Of The Board - Swedish American Chamber of Commerce -- Ohio _ LinkedIn

Furienna 08-01-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1223294)
Weren't there some issues with the Ruby tiara that Queen Silvia now wears? I believe it was owned by prince Sigvard, but he later sold it to the king. I believe there were some issues about it in the Swedish press but I do not recall what was the issue.

Well, I seem to remember that Sigvard claimed that the tiara was his inheritence from his mother.

Stefan 08-01-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furienna (Post 2243507)
Well, I seem to remember that Sigvard claimed that the tiara was his inheritence from his mother.

Which nhe wanted to sell and then it was bought back by his father. later the old King left it to his grandson who again sold it to the present King.

Furienna 08-01-2019 08:08 AM

When you read about Sigvard and Carl Johan and look at their stories from our 21rst century perspective, it is hard to get what the big deal was with them marrying non-royal women for love. But it was news to me that Sigvard was considered as a suitor to Juliana of the Netherlands, so I guess that his family had expected a lovely match there.

JR76 08-01-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furienna (Post 2243514)
When you read about Sigvard and Carl Johan and look at their stories from our 21rst century perspective, it is hard to get what the big deal was with them marrying non-royal women for love. But it was news to me that Sigvard was considered as a suitor to Juliana of the Netherlands, so I guess that his family had expected a lovely match there.

I don't think that they expected a love match, but hoped that Prince Sigvard liked Princess Juliana enough to marry her. There are also rumours that they tried to set up Prince Carl with Juliana, but that the two didn't hit it off at all. Matching up young people was still the norm back then in royal circles but no marriage was forced upon any Bernadotte during the twenties and thirties. Out of the five that made equal marriages all are said to have done so out of love.

Regarding the ruby tiara Prince Sigvard had been forced to sell the accompanying necklace after he married and then approached his father, then Crown Prince Gustav Adolf, who took it off his hands for a sum of money. Sigvard says that he thought that his father took it as the security on a loan, but that his father considered it a purchase. He later tried to buy it back, but had his request refused although the tiara was at his wife's disposal when she needed one. Sigvard was later shocked when his father willed it to his son Count Michael and was later even more upset when Michael sold the tiara to his cousin King Carl XVI Gustav.

Furienna 08-11-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR76 (Post 2243584)
I don't think that they expected a love match, but hoped that Prince Sigvard liked Princess Juliana enough to marry her. There are also rumours that they tried to set up Prince Carl with Juliana, but that the two didn't hit it off at all. Matching up young people was still the norm back then in royal circles but no marriage was forced upon any Bernadotte during the twenties and thirties. Out of the five that made equal marriages all are said to have done so out of love.

Well, I didn't say "love match". What I meant was "a lovely match for their families".

And I had no idea that Prince Carl Jr also was intended as a suitor for Juliana, but it makes sense.

theroyalfly 08-11-2019 12:38 PM

:previous: As far as I know, he was really rumored to marry Princess Juliana and was even rumored to marry Princess Maria Francesca of Savoy too.

An Ard Ri 08-11-2019 12:45 PM

I'm sure there were many royal suitors for the then Princess Juliana I'm not sure if a Swedish Prince had ever married into the House of Orange in the past?

JR76 08-11-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 2245584)
I'm sure there were many royal suitors for the then Princess Juliana I'm not sure if a Swedish Prince had ever married into the House of Orange in the past?

King Karl XV of Sweden and Norway married Princess Louise of The Netherlands in 1850.

JR76 08-11-2019 01:05 PM

Another Orange/Bernadotte connection is that Queen Sofia was the maternal aunt of Queen Emma of The Netherlands through her sister Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont.

An Ard Ri 08-11-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR76 (Post 2245585)
King Karl XV of Sweden and Norway married Princess Louise of The Netherlands in 1850.

I had totally forgotten about Louise of the Netherlands :blush: