The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f216/)
-   -   General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 7: October 2010 - March 2011 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f216/general-news-about-frederik-mary-and-family-7-october-2010-march-2011-a-29064.html)

dazzling 10-30-2010 02:10 PM

General News about Frederik, Mary and Family 7: October 2010 - March 2011

Welcome to
General news about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 8
The previous can be found here

Here are some important
TRF Community Rules & FAQs
  • In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
  • Empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion, will be deleted without notice.
If you have any questions, please contact a member of the moderating team.

Happy posting!:flowers:

Dazzling, iceflower and JessRulz
Royal House of Denmark Mod's

Marika86 10-30-2010 04:03 PM

Are these two the same person? Maybe the nanny of Christian

June 2010 * October 2010

H.M. Margrethe 10-30-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marika86 (Post 1153798)

June 2010 * October 2010

I think you are rigth that it migth be the same lady on both picturs..

windsorgirl 10-30-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marika86 (Post 1153798)

June 2010 * October 2010

Good eye! Looks like the same person to me, too.

Katrianna 10-31-2010 12:40 AM

Either a nanny or Mary's Personal Assistant.

ashelen 10-31-2010 01:06 AM

I think the same, it look the same person! like Christian nanny?

Sternchen 10-31-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrianna (Post 1153891)
Either a nanny or Mary's Personal Assistant.

Mary doesn't have a PA...

ahtikavalentine 11-01-2010 08:40 PM

PA=Lady in waiting?

windsorgirl 11-01-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahtikavalentine (Post 1154494)
PA=Lady in waiting?

No, personal assistant -- probably in the sense of unofficial duties, but apparently we would know if she had one because the position would be part of their household if I understand correctly. I can imagine that a PA would be quite useful to Mary if only to run errands and such but I do not know how a royal household is run (and sadly never will ;)).

ashelen 11-01-2010 10:51 PM

:sad:sadly like you said we will never know how is run a royal household, what a pity becasue could dbe something very interested to learn!

Muhler 11-02-2010 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsorgirl (Post 1154503)
No, personal assistant -- probably in the sense of unofficial duties, but apparently we would know if she had one because the position would be part of their household if I understand correctly. I can imagine that a PA would be quite useful to Mary if only to run errands and such but I do not know how a royal household is run (and sadly never will ;)).

That's what her staff is for.
If Mary and Frederik need new socks, it will be Mary's maid or Frederik's valet who will take care of that. That shouldn't be a big problem.
The same thing would apply to soap, deodorants and other not too personal items. The staff will take care of it.
I can just imagine that it would be more practical and fun for Mary from time to time to just go shopping/browsing for, in this case, toys rather than selecting something from a catalogue or on the Net. And then tell a nanny to go buy it for her.

The closest thing to a personal assistent Mary has will be her LiW's or maid. And in Frederik's case, his valet. - They are the ones who will deal with, among other things, the most personal items.

To put it bluntly and in a way everybody can understand: What will a royal do if he needs contraception? Pop down to the chemist himself? Nah.
Ask his doctor? Who could be semi-fossilised, be a friend of the family and having no imagination. Not necessarily.
Ask his valet? Who may go and buy a wide selection of condoms, put them somewhere and ask no questions. More likely, eh?

It's similar with a female royal. She will most likely turn to her maid or LiW.
Alexandra made the mistake once to trust someone who wasn't bound by the official secrets act, so the purchase of a very personal item suddenly popped up in a tabloid.

ashelen 11-02-2010 09:57 AM

it would be ineresting to see wht the "secret's acts" say

Muhler 11-02-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 1154655)
it would be ineresting to see wht the "secret's acts" say

Eh, perhaps more correctly a letter of confidence. Those employed by the court, i.e. the official staff are required to sign a letter of confidence - similar to most civil servants or other public employees who have access to sensitive information about other people. (I've signed a few myself, even on the very low levels I worked in back then).

If they breach that confidence and give away personal informations about the DRF, which has not been approved by the DRF, they commit a criminal offence.
It's not just a matter of a civil lawsuit.
They are criminals and it won't do just to publish say a book in another country. They will be wanted criminals.

Apart from any personal embarrasment to the DRF it's also a matter of having a working relationship with their staff. That is hardly possible unless their is a certain amount of trust.

Another and more omnious reason for these measures is of course security. If a staff member can't keep his big mouth shut in regards to gossip about the DRF, chances are that he can't keep quiet about security either. - So believe me, it's the big hammer that will be used, should anyone breach the confidence.

In Alexandra's case it was a private employee of Joachim and Alexandra, not a staff member. As such the person in question had not signed a letter of confidence. And while that person was very disloyal it was decided not to take the matter to court, where in my opinion Alexandra no doubt would have won a lawsuit.

The stakes are much higher for court employees. Most likely a (and pretty hefty) jail sentence. No jobs, let alone a futire career, in the public service will be possible. (Except perhaps as a cleaner.) A criminal record. No pension. No unemployment benefit.

ashelen 11-02-2010 12:44 PM

Muhler, Thank you so much for your inside, i think it is interested this kind of contracts becasue I belive celebreties here they have the same thing with thier employyes and i am thinking all people with money probably has a simillar contract, if one day I became wealthy I would do the same, this and the way they preserve their assets and jewellery it is a matter of interesnt becasue it is amazing thught the years and generation they keep evreything! I think it is ammater of studay. If may I ask what the employed of Alexander said about her buying???????

Muhler 11-02-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 1154714)
Muhler, Thank you so much for your inside, i think it is interested this kind of contracts becasue I belive celebreties here they have the same thing with thier employyes and i am thinking all people with money probably has a simillar contract, if one day I became wealthy I would do the same, this and the way they preserve their assets and jewellery it is a matter of interesnt becasue it is amazing thught the years and generation they keep evreything! I think it is ammater of studay. If may I ask what the employed of Alexander said about her buying???????

Yes, but the differnece is that breaching such a contract as mentioned above is matter for a civil lawsuit.
A Danish court employee who is breaching a letter of confidence, is committing a criminal offence, a felony I believe you would call in USA. Not a mere misdemeanor. (spl?)
- Which is different from a contract of confidence, which some companies and people also use here in DK. (The general rule of loyalty to your employer is often considered enough).

ashelen 11-02-2010 05:46 PM

Muhler , you are a very knowloge person, and I am glad you are here in this forum to inform us better, between royals and celebrities it is a big difference one thing is to breach security for the royals and another thing is to tell the tabloids private gosspis about the celebrities, if I am not wrong once Nicole Kidman sew her nannie, or maid for publishing private staff from her and then Tom Cruise, afterwards I don't remember what happen but in the case of Mary, Fred and the kids it is more serius staff involve , the saftey of them I imagine the contracts and the investigation of the personal that they work for the them it is very strict. I was thinking how they maintain private all visit to the doctors not only in this case that Mary is pregnant but the kids they need to be seeing by a doctor every so often , vactinations, etc...... some blood ttests, Xrays etx...... , certenly it is a facinating life they have!

Muhler 11-02-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 1154824)
Muhler , you are a very knowloge person, and I am glad you are here in this forum to inform us better, between royals and celebrities it is a big difference one thing is to breach security for the royals and another thing is to tell the tabloids private gosspis about the celebrities, if I am not wrong once Nicole Kidman sew her nannie, or maid for publishing private staff from her and then Tom Cruise, afterwards I don't remember what happen but in the case of Mary, Fred and the kids it is more serius staff involve , the saftey of them I imagine the contracts and the investigation of the personal that they work for the them it is very strict. I was thinking how they maintain private all visit to the doctors not only in this case that Mary is pregnant but the kids they need to be seeing by a doctor every so often , vactinations, etc...... some blood ttests, Xrays etx...... , certenly it is a facinating life they have!

Thank you, I blush. :smile:

Yes, it sure is a fascinating life.
Do you know Mad magazine? With all the satirical comics?
They once had a definition of how you could grade people in regards to their status by how they were treated if they became ill.
If you are pretty far down the ladder, you are placed at the end of the queue at the doctor's office.
If you are pretty much up there, you are placed as the first in queue.
If you are really on top, the doctors queue outside your bedroom door.
- I guess the last example to a large extent is the case with royals. ;)

To be serious, the DRF have their own doctors, who function as their personal general practician. Just like the vast majority of Danes. - (That's part of the public healthcare system. Otherwise you have to pay for your appointment).
Anyway, their doctors are of course bound by their professional confidentiality in regards to their patients.
If a member of the DRF have to see a dentist, they simply make an appointment at a time where the clinic is closed or will be closed for other patients. No big deal.
Something similar applies when they need to go to a hospital. Most hospitals have countless entrances, so it's not difficult to get in and out unnoticed. In fact a relative of mine, who worked at a hospital, once almost bumped into Prince Henrik, when he was quietly leaving the hospital via a back entrance. Most likely he had been there for a check-up. (Perhaps his back).
In most cases the doctors simply go to the palace, for anything that doesn't require cumbersome or advanced equipment.

And doctors can be pretty unimpressed. QMII was told by her doctor to, and I quote: "Shut up"! when she gave birth to Frederik, I believe it was. (That story is from a biography somewhere).

iceflower 11-03-2010 06:08 AM

Yesterday evening, November 2nd, Crown Prince Frederik watched the
soccer match of the FC Copenhagen against the FC Barcelona, it
ended 1:1 :smile: Here are some articles including some pics:

** Billed-Bladet: Kronprins Frederik jublede i Parken **

** ekstrabladet.dk: Frede tippede uafgjort **

** sporten.dk: Kronprinsen: Håber på N'Doye **

dazzling 11-03-2010 07:21 AM

Frederik apparently with his friends jumped up cheering from their heat VIP seats according to the BB article when a goal was scored.
Thanks Iceflower for the articles & pic's

UserDane 11-03-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling (Post 1154962)
Frederik apparently with his friends jumped up cheering from their heat VIP seats according to the BB article when a goal was scored.
Thanks Iceflower for the articles & pic's

Didn't we all ! ;) :smile: Great soccer match!

Muhler 11-04-2010 09:41 AM

Summary of two articles in Billed Bladet #44, 2010.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen & Trine Larsen.

Apart from a few details there really isn't much of substance in these articles.
Moving vans have been photographed unloading at the new palais. Mary herself has been observed several times in and around the newly renovated palais.
- So indications points to that they are in the process of moving in as this is written.

Plans are that the CP family will stay at Amalienborg in the winter months and at Kancellihuset during the summer months.
That means that Christian and Isabella will have 45 minuttes more on the road each day when they go to the kindergarten in Fredensborg, in contrast to barely five minuttes now, by car.
It also means it will be more of a logistical problem for Christian to take mates with him home from kindergarten or to go home with a mate, than it is now.
Ulrik Ulriksen on the other hands points out that Christian will be closer to some of his mates who are children of private friends of M&F. Most of them live in or close to Copenhagen.

Trine Larsen in har article reflects more on the fond memories Frederik has from his childhood of the new palais, which used to be occupied by Queen Ingrid and where he often stayed.
However Trine Larsen gets one thing completely wrong. She writes in her article that Frederik told Queen Ingrid (basically on her deadbed) about Mary. Frederik himself has cleary said that he did not tell her about Mary.
Read here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1150418

dazzling 11-04-2010 02:37 PM

Why is it that they move during winter and summer to different houses?

Muhler 11-04-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling (Post 1155469)
Why is it that they move during winter and summer to different houses?

That's old tradition in the DRF. During the summer they move out into the country, I.e. Fredensborg. During the winter they stay in the city, I.e. Amalienborg.

Even though nowadays the Regent Couple seems to have taken up almost permanent residence at Fredensborg.

If you think that's a lot of moving about, this is nothing. Up until the introduction of absolutism around 1660 the Danish kings were constantly on the move.
In fact Copenhagen didn't become a de facto capital city until late in the 1400's.
Up until then the entire government apparatus usually moved around with the king.
By 1500 the administrative system had been so large and cumbersume that it wasn't possible to by mobile anymore. But the kings themselves where on the move for almost 200 years more.

AnnaNotherThing 11-04-2010 06:04 PM

I would have thought that with the option of two residences now and Christian and Isabella happy at their little kinder in Fredensborg, that Amalienborg could/might be more of a weekender...They stay at Fredensborg during the week for the few days of kinder (How many days of the week is it anyway, 2 or 3?) and then head to Copenhagen for a few days until kinder starts again for the next week...

But seriously, I don't think 30kms/45kms is that big a deal in terms of drives, just means you have to be organised and leave earlier to arrive on time...With two stubborn toddlers and two newborns arriving soon and two working parents, that may present a whole series of morning battles in the months to come...Do Christian and Isabella's nannies ever drop them off/pick them up from kinder or is it all hands on Mary or Frederik?

nwinther 11-05-2010 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing (Post 1155541)
Do Christian and Isabella's nannies ever drop them off/pick them up from kinder or is it all hands on Mary or Frederik?

Hmm... Not sure. Though M & F's schedule does indicate that they have to leave it to nannies on a day-to-day basis.

Another consideration pointing towards nannies being trusted with that task is security. It's never wise to be too predictable in your daily life - in case someone is gunning for you. Surely, occationally, M or F can drop off the kids - but appearing again and again at the same location at the same time is living hell on the security detail.

So I think it's usually the nannies that does it.

Sternchen 11-05-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing (Post 1155541)
They stay at Fredensborg during the week for the few days of kinder (How many days of the week is it anyway, 2 or 3?) and then head to Copenhagen for a few days until kinder starts again for the next week...

Usually it is five days a week :)

Quote:

Do Christian and Isabella's nannies ever drop them off/pick them up from kinder or is it all hands on Mary or Frederik?
Depending on the schedule. Sometimes Fred drives them to kindergarden by bike, sometimes by car, sometimes Mary brings them or picks them up. Sometimes the nanny brings them, and Mary or Fred pick them up, or vice versa :)

AnnaNotherThing 11-05-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternchen (Post 1155704)
Usually it is five days a week :)

Depending on the schedule. Sometimes Fred drives them to kindergarden by bike, sometimes by car, sometimes Mary brings them or picks them up. Sometimes the nanny brings them, and Mary or Fred pick them up, or vice versa :)

So then they should treat Amalienborg as a 'weekender'...half their luck to have such a luxurious weekend retreat ;)

Muhler 11-10-2010 05:09 AM

A new book called: Amalienborg has just been published.

I understand it consists of interviews with members of the DRF.

So far a few extracts have been made public. One with QMII, which I may deal with later.
Sover i mormors dødsværelse - TV 2 Vip

And now one where Frederik is telling about how he and Mary sleep in the same bedroom in Kancellihuset, where his grandmother (mormor) Queen Ingrid died:
- "In Kancellihuset my mormor (grandmother) went to sleep (*) in the bedroom my wife (**) and I got.
I had to think about that in the beginning, but there is a fantastic spirit in the house.
Sometimes you can feel that mormor (grandmother) has been there, when a wague scent of cigaret smoke, spiced with perfume suddenly appear.
There is nothing to be afraid of. A life has passed away and new (life) has arisen (been created), now that our children run around and have a merry time in her old room".

(*) The expression is "sov ind" = litterally: slept in. Which means that she died quietly in her bed.

(**) Using informal word for wife.

I decided to post it here, at least initially, because it provides a good insight into frederik's mindset and his relationship to his grandmother and how he deals with the loss.

dee4855 11-10-2010 06:25 AM

Thank you for the translation Muhler. It is very touching how close the CP was to his grandmother. It is sad she and Mary never had a chance to meet. You know she would have loved his children so much. Then seeing the joy of the birth of the twins would have just been the icing on the cake for her.

nwinther 11-10-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1157693)
(**) Using informal word for wife.

He uses that word (kone) a lot. I don't care for it. It sounds like Mary is 60 years old sporting a slight moustache.

I find the word "hustru" much more dignified in general, and especially when it comes to royalty.

Kone = Venus of Willendorf
Hustru = Venus de Milo
- IMO.

Sternchen 11-10-2010 12:57 PM

nwinther, you crack me up :rofl::rofl:

agnessa 11-10-2010 03:15 PM

It's so beautiful and natural and really - there is nothing to be awfraid. The life don't have to stop and I'm sure that queen Ingrid would be so glad to know that there are little (ok, soon not so little) family in her home and old room:flowers:

charlottestreasures 11-10-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1155484)
That's old tradition in the DRF. During the summer they move out into the country, I.e. Fredensborg. During the winter they stay in the city, I.e. Amalienborg.

Even though nowadays the Regent Couple seems to have taken up almost permanent residence at Fredensborg.

If you think that's a lot of moving about, this is nothing. Up until the introduction of absolutism around 1660 the Danish kings were constantly on the move.
In fact Copenhagen didn't become a de facto capital city until late in the 1400's.
Up until then the entire government apparatus usually moved around with the king.
By 1500 the administrative system had been so large and cumbersume that it wasn't possible to by mobile anymore. But the kings themselves where on the move for almost 200 years more.

Yes but why do they need to move between these two residences. Why not stay in the country, while their family is young and travel to the city for official reasons only?

Muhler 11-11-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlottestreasures (Post 1158004)
Yes but why do they need to move between these two residences. Why not stay in the country, while their family is young and travel to the city for official reasons only?

Personally I wouldn't blame them if they did. Especially since Fredensborg seems such a great place for children to live.

There are several reasons.
The court, the entire administration is located at the Amalienborg complex. - It consists of more than the four palais.

Queen Margrethe could die tomorrow, so they might just as well get settled at Amalienborg.

Amalienborg is the official and main residence of the DRF, so it's expected that the members of the DRF, spend a good deal of time there. - Just as it is more or less expected that QEII spend at least some time at Buckingham Palace.

Another and perhaps just as important reason is showing affilliation with the various parts of Denmark. That's also why the Regent Couple in particular move between the various residences throughout the year. Marselisborg in Eastern Jutland, Gråsten in Southern Jutland, to show their affilliation with these parts of the country as well. - Otherwise people would complain: "They are only in Copenhagen, we never see them in this part of the country and why have palaces/mansions standing around if they are never used and so on...". Believe me, that has very much been a topic in the past! :whistling:
Which is of course why the summer cruises with Danneborg are so important and appreciated. - If the DRF haven't got a local residence, they can at least bring a residence with them. And that taste a bit like bird...

It would be comparable to the US President and his/her family being only head of state and not also head of the government. He could have his main residence in Washington DC, but during the year or his time in office also live for perods in mansions in California, Colorado, Ohio and Arkansas to show affilliation with all of USA. - A bit impractical perhaps but that may be outweighed by the symbolism?

Princess_Beatrix 11-11-2010 08:07 AM

Is there something wrong with Frederik? I think he often looks stressed and tense during nearly all newer pictures. His smile an laughter don't look as natural as some time ago. In some pictures he looks nearly a bit depressed. Like he really isn't enjoying what he is doing. He does not even look that happy in the newest pictures even if he and Mary are expect twins. Could it be some kind of midlife crisis?

Duke of Marmalade 11-11-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess_Beatrix (Post 1158121)
Is there something wrong with Frederik? I think he often looks stressed and tense during nearly all newer pictures. His smile an laughter don't look as natural as some time ago. In some pictures he looks nearly a bit depressed. Like he really isn't enjoying what he is doing. He does not even look that happy in the newest pictures even if he and Mary are expect twins. Could it be some kind of midlife crisis?

nothing new. frederik admitted a long time ago that he isnt comfortable with the task he is going to inherit one day. on public duty, he is often insecure and awkward. i dont think that he is depressed (= ill) but there is a lot of pressure on him. he did the right thing by chosing a wife that takes away most of the attention but the pressure is mounting. one day everybody will look up to him and if he isnt up to scratch, people will quickly, like in other countries, ask the question, do we still need this? my personal opinion is that he isnt up to scratch. so far the danes are quite sweet with frederik, accepting him the way he is, but the question is, will this remain when he once holds the top job.

then, regarding his personal life, there is pressure too, 4 kids is a hell of a task and i guess he wants to be a better parent than his parents used to be. frederik, from time to time, strikes me as a loaner, using some escape routes from duty and family. i dont think their marriage is easy and i hope that mary will be able to deal with this in the long run.

all in all, I see him as a very reluctant monarch and hopefully he wont end up like the other reluctant monarch in the neighborcountry.

charlottestreasures 11-11-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1158067)
Personally I wouldn't blame them if they did. Especially since Fredensborg seems such a great place for children to live.

There are several reasons.
The court, the entire administration is located at the Amalienborg complex. - It consists of more than the four palais.

Queen Margrethe could die tomorrow, so they might just as well get settled at Amalienborg.

Amalienborg is the official and main residence of the DRF, so it's expected that the members of the DRF, spend a good deal of time there. - Just as it is more or less expected that QEII spend at least some time at Buckingham Palace.

Another and perhaps just as important reason is showing affilliation with the various parts of Denmark. That's also why the Regent Couple in particular move between the various residences throughout the year. Marselisborg in Eastern Jutland, Gråsten in Southern Jutland, to show their affilliation with these parts of the country as well. - Otherwise people would complain: "They are only in Copenhagen, we never see them in this part of the country and why have palaces/mansions standing around if they are never used and so on...". Believe me, that has very much been a topic in the past! :whistling:
Which is of course why the summer cruises with Danneborg are so important and appreciated. - If the DRF haven't got a local residence, they can at least bring a residence with them. And that taste a bit like bird...

It would be comparable to the US President and his/her family being only head of state and not also head of the government. He could have his main residence in Washington DC, but during the year or his time in office also live for perods in mansions in California, Colorado, Ohio and Arkansas to show affilliation with all of USA. - A bit impractical perhaps but that may be outweighed by the symbolism?

Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this to me.
I do see the point for the Monarch, but for the Crown Prince and Family, I could see the point of them staying put in the country.

Muhler 11-11-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlottestreasures (Post 1158298)
Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this to me.
I do see the point for the Monarch, but for the Crown Prince and Family, I could see the point of them staying put in the country.

Because Mary and Frederik, in my opinion, are now taking over from the Regent Couple in earnest.
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik are both over 70. PH has openly stated that he has more or less retired.
Queen Margrethe will not abdicate.

There have in the last to-three years been indications pointing towards Mary and Frederik taking over from the Regent Couple in almost anything but name. Despite Mary's pregnancy M&F have continued to perform tasks and take on events, where it would be more natural that at least the Queen took on.

QMII has said herself that she now work more closely with Frederik than ever before and that she follow his advise. (I.e. do things his way).
It's on the job training and preparation of course. But it's more than that. I believe we are looking at an ongoing transition right now.

I predict that within the next two years, QMII & PH will have semi-retired and that they will play a much lesser role than now, except for the constitutional tasks. That means that M&F will be the de facto regent couple.
And when the time comes, the change from CP-couple to regent-couple will be fairly small, for M&F.

Queen Margrethe has spoken about how big a change it was for her to become a Queen. She had to learn a lot and learn fast.
Polls have shown that the Danes are very positive towards QMII abdicating. Not because they are displeased with her, on the contrary. But because they think she has the right to retire and enjoy her remaining years.
Polls also show that the Danes believe M&F are now ready to take over.

QMII is a wise woman, no doubt about that. So why not compromise? Ensure that the transition for Mary and Frederik is as smooth as possible, let them already now put their mark on how things are done, let them already now take center stage.
So that, when she drops from the pearch as she puts it herself, M&F are already in their roles as king and queen.

dee4855 11-11-2010 03:03 PM

Muhler I have a question for you please. When F&M take over will Joachim and Marie fill their position since the children will probably be to young?

Muhler 11-11-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee4855 (Post 1158326)
Muhler I have a question for you please. When F&M take over will Joachim and Marie fill their position since the children will probably be to young?

I believe J&M will be even more busy than they are now. Our Marie will also, apart from accompanying Joachim on even more travels, have her own interests and she will probably in many ways take over from Princess Benedikte as well.

Duke of Marmalade 11-11-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1158323)
Because Mary and Frederik, in my opinion, are now taking over from the Regent Couple in earnest.
Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik are both over 70. PH has openly stated that he has more or less retired.
Queen Margrethe will not abdicate.

There have in the last to-three years been indications pointing towards Mary and Frederik taking over from the Regent Couple in almost anything but name. Despite Mary's pregnancy M&F have continued to perform tasks and take on events, where it would be more natural that at least the Queen took on.

QMII has said herself that she now work more closely with Frederik than ever before and that she follow his advise. (I.e. do things his way).
It's on the job training and preparation of course. But it's more than that. I believe we are looking at an ongoing transition right now.

I predict that within the next two years, QMII & PH will have semi-retired and that they will play a much lesser role than now, except for the constitutional tasks. That means that M&F will be the de facto regent couple.
And when the time comes, the change from CP-couple to regent-couple will be fairly small, for M&F.

Queen Margrethe has spoken about how big a change it was for her to become a Queen. She had to learn a lot and learn fast.
Polls have shown that the Danes are very positive towards QMII abdicating. Not because they are displeased with her, on the contrary. But because they think she has the right to retire and enjoy her remaining years.
Polls also show that the Danes believe M&F are now ready to take over.

QMII is a wise woman, no doubt about that. So why not compromise? Ensure that the transition for Mary and Frederik is as smooth as possible, let them already now put their mark on how things are done, let them already now take center stage.
So that, when she drops from the pearch as she puts it herself, M&F are already in their roles as king and queen.

In my opinion there wont be a smooth transition in any country (maybe apart from the Netherlands, where the monarch is likely to abdicate). QM is a very dominant person, "in charge" type of personality. I agree with you that she will not abdicate. As soon as Margrethe dies, Frederik will be King and all eyes will be on him. He will have to prove himself and like any other heir to the throne, the priviliges that the old monarch was entitled to will be under immense scrutiny and subject to discussion. I dont see the monarchy disappear in Denmark but people are likely to get more critical, especially if Frederik will be lacking the strong personality his mother has.

Regarding the "preparation time", it can get very difficult (see Prince Charles), the monarch is still the monarch and "traing on the job" for too long can be counterproductive.

Sternchen 11-11-2010 03:37 PM

I think Danes know Fred quiet well and so also his personality :lol: What is QMII supposed to do to shorten the training on the job?

dee4855 11-11-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1158337)
I believe J&M will be even more busy than they are now. Our Marie will also, apart from accompanying Joachim on even more travels, have her own interests and she will probably in many ways take over from Princess Benedikte as well.

Thank you Muhler I knew you would have my answer.:flowers: I did not even think about Princess Benedikte. Marie is going to have alot on her plate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternchen (Post 1158351)
I think Danes know Fred quiet well and so also his personality :lol: What is QMII supposed to do to shorten the training on the job?

Boy I hope not. I just love her. So regal. :flowers:

UserDane 11-11-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1158349)
....but people are likely to get more critical, especially if Frederik will be lacking the strong personality his mother has.

But people are always critical about the new monarch; the new monarch will 'never be quite as good as XXX'. It was the same thing when Margrethe became queen. She was quite different from her father -not the jovial easy-going type he was. I remember my grandmothers saying that she was 'not like her father', meaning that she was lacking, but they were willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.
Frederik resembles his grandfather in many ways; he will meet with the same sceptisicm of not 'being like his mother'. But he will be himself and I'm almost willing to bet money that he will do well and that the same scenario will repeat itself once Frederik is followed by Christian.

Frederik may to some appear insecure, unwilling to be in the limelight. But perhaps we forget that Margrethe was insecure and often stilted when in the limelight when she was younger. She stuttered often and got flustered. She didn't come ready-packed as the self-assured queen we see today. She grew into it, and why shouldn't that happen for the next monarch as well?

Duke of Marmalade 11-11-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternchen (Post 1158351)

i dont know, i didnt suggest such a thing in my post. i only said that training on the job is a difficult thing and gave prince charles as an example. the queen is still the queen and remains in charge therefore training on the job is technically impossible what is frustrating for the trainee (who is a grown man) as the years continue. you either are in charge or you are not, there is no such thing as a quasi-monarch.

UserDane 11-11-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1158370)
i dont know, i didnt suggest such a thing in my post. i only said that training on the job is a difficult thing and gave prince charles as an example. the queen is still the queen and remains in charge therefore training on the job is technically impossible what is frustrating for the trainee (who is a grown man) as the years continue. you either are in charge or you are not, there is no such thing as a quasi-monarch.

I'm really not sure whether this 'waiting period' is as problematic to Frederik as it may be to Charles. Frederik probably (hopefully!) has a calmer and happier private life than Charles had (his first marriage). Frederik may for all we know be having what to him is the best of several worlds, a good private life with lots of kids, interesting work where he may still opt out on some of the ceremonial duties - and he's still the 'vice president of the firm'.

Duke of Marmalade 11-11-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane (Post 1158368)
She didn't come ready-packed as the self-assured queen we see today. She grew into it, and why shouldn't that happen for the next monarch as well?

because these days - and i am not only talking about denmark - people dont see monarchy as a god given institution anymore with the right to remain forever. they want to see a benefit for what they give in return, not to forget that the media of the 21st century has become powerful and respectless. i doubt frederik will be given the same timeframe to perform or grow into it - decades - that the public was willing to give his mother.

Muhler 11-11-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1158396)
because these days - and i am not only talking about denmark - people dont see monarchy as a god given institution anymore with the right to remain forever. they want to see a benefit for what they give in return, not to forget that the media of the 21st century has become powerful and respectless. i doubt frederik will be given the same timeframe to perform or grow into it - decades - that the public was willing to give his mother.

That was hardly the case in the early 70's either, when QMII took over.

The popularity ratings of the DRF were much lower back then and yet, they have gone up very considerably since then.
The transition I'm talking about, and which is far from unique, is as you point out yourself a good way for Frederik and Mary to get some real experience, to make mistakes, to gain experience the hard way and to evaluate and no doubt rethink their own approach. You can only get that sort of experience by being in the front yourself.
It also gives them a purpose of life, as you also pointed out. It is so much better to use them now, and in full, rather than letting them wait in some sort of limbo.

Unless Queen Margrethe die suddenly. M&F would inevitably have to take over at some point on her behalf. Simply because her health would deterioate or because she would simply no longer have the strenght due to her age.
Queen Margrethe as a strong character, no doubt about that. She is also very much aware of her responsibility towards the next generation.
Whatever can be said about QMII, few can accuse her of being selfish.
I believe and from how I understood the documentaries shown on TV not that long ago, she is already now allowing M&F to directly influence what is going on.

M&F will face very different problems than QMII, but I'm confident they can handle them. That Frederik was reluctant and doubtful about his future doesn't really trouble me that much. That at least shows that he face his future and his role with humillity. There might be more reason for concern if he was very confident about his future role.
It may be the insecurity and akwardness he sometimes display, that is the very reason why the Danes feel he will do fine. Why they feel they can relate to him.

charlottestreasures 11-11-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1158409)
That was hardly the case in the early 70's either, when QMII took over.

and that is so much a better way to gradually step aside and quide the
next one into the job.
In Britain the Queen has always kept Charles to the side and I believe if she would have done as Queen Margarethe is now doing, it would be much
easier for Charles and he would be much more accepted, if he was out and about with his mother.

Jemima 11-15-2010 10:11 AM

i don't know, i think Charles is pretty much accepted as he is these days. he has certainly carved out his own identity, very much redeemed himself, with his interest in things that actually make a difference to our quality of life (eg. gmos, architecture, environment, his charities). I would say, "all's well that ends well", except that QEII is not yet at an end!!!

And he's 62 years old, what would he want to go about with his mother for?

same for Frederick, i imagine. He should carve out his own identity for what he wishes to be remembered for.

Tarlita 11-15-2010 06:14 PM

At least Frederik has been regent on many occasions and has been on hand to see how his mother works/operates. It will be a more natural and easier progression for him. Especially as he and his wife are well received by the people of Denmark. Poor old Charles has missed out on seeing the infamous red boxes and what to do about some of the sensitive information contained within. That is all that Charles has missed out on. Otherwise he is well versed on his mothers duties, and his only problem as I see it, will be his popularity with his subjects when he becomes king. The press are saying that the queens facebook page has received a lot of hate mail directed toward Camilla.

charlottestreasures 11-15-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemima (Post 1159449)
i don't know, i think Charles is pretty much accepted as he is these days. he has certainly carved out his own identity, very much redeemed himself, with his interest in things that actually make a difference to our quality of life (eg. gmos, architecture, environment, his charities). I would say, "all's well that ends well", except that QEII is not yet at an end!!!

And he's 62 years old, what would he want to go about with his mother for?

same for Frederick, i imagine. He should carve out his own identity for what he wishes to be remembered for.

Yes he has finally gained some acceptance as Prince of Wales, but for when
he becomes King well only time will tell.

Madame Royale 11-15-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarlita (Post 1159602)
The press are saying that the queens facebook page has received a lot of hate mail directed toward Camilla.

Queen Margrethe has done her son a very great service by incorporating him into the mix of constitutional business on what appears to be a very regular basis. Evidently, the Queen has looked at the bigger picture and understands how imperative it is that her heir is educated in the ways of kingship, firsthand. Now, Charles too undertakes various roles in his mothers shaddow, but in Denmark the heir takes on what appears to be a more active role in their position.

In Britain though, the heir has generally been considered to be an accentric time waster.

Infact, I'd suggest Charles to have been one of the only Prince of Wales who has really tried to pursue a meaningful purpose during this 'interim' existance. It can't have been easy.

Not to lose sight of the topic at hand, but I had a look at the Facebook profile for the British Monarchy and certainly, Camilla is recieving a real pasting.

charlottestreasures 11-15-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 1159620)
Queen Margrethe has done her son a very great service by incorporating him into the mix of constitutional business on what appears to be a very regular basis. Evidently, the Queen has looked at the bigger picture and understands how imperative it is that her heir is educated in the ways of kingship, firsthand. Now, Charles too undertakes various roles in his mothers shaddow, but in Denmark the heir takes on what appears to be a more active role in their position.

In Britain though, the heir has generally been considered to be an accentric time waster.

Infact, I'd suggest Charles to have been one of the only Prince of Wales who has really tried to pursure a meaningful purpose during this 'interim' existance. It can't have been easy. "

And in Britain there has always been this so called war between the two
households or camps in comparison to Denmark, you do not hear of that. There has always seem to be such a cooperation.

As far as mentioning that the heir be out on some joint occasions with the reigning sovereign, you see that more in the European Royals, than in Britain.

Tarlita 11-16-2010 06:03 PM

next years wedding

In view of the announcement between William and Catherine Middleton and a wedding for next spring/summer. I thought I would speculate about the guests attending and the logistics, by saying with so many royal guests and heads of state descending on London for the big day; I wonder if the Danish Royal family and the Norwegians and Swedes would have their yachts at anchor in the Thames. Like they sometimes do when on official visits to Britian. But in this case it would free up much needed Palace bedroom space and Hotel space. Besides which, these families feel most comfortable on their yachts. The children could go with them for instance and stay on board. Assuming the Scandinavian royals will attend the several days of celebratory events pre wedding day.
As a Crown Prince couple I'm sure Mary and Fred would be invited.
Which brings up another point. As Mary will have her twins by then will there be room on board the yacht to accommodate the twins and Christian and Isabella.
Perhaps in the past Kings and Queens stay at either Buckingham palace or Windsor Castle. So perhaps the royal yacht will come in handy for the crown prince couple.
So my whole post is about speculation on where our favourite Danish royals will stay. And I'm excited that Mary will experience a big royal wedding. Victoria's was pretty big, but the British will go very big with this one, I expect.:smile:

Muhler 11-16-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarlita (Post 1160633)
In view of the announcement between William and Catherine Middleton and a wedding for next spring/summer. I thought I would speculate about the guests attending and the logistics, by saying with so many royal guests and heads of state descending on London for the big day; I wonder if the Danish Royal family and the Norwegians and Swedes would have their yachts at anchor in the Thames. Like they sometimes do when on official visits to Britian. But in this case it would free up much needed Palace bedroom space and Hotel space. Besides which, these families feel most comfortable on their yachts. The children could go with them for instance and stay on board. Assuming the Scandinavian royals will attend the several days of celebratory events pre wedding day.
As a Crown Prince couple I'm sure Mary and Fred would be invited.
Which brings up another point. As Mary will have her twins by then will there be room on board the yacht to accommodate the twins and Christian and Isabella.
Perhaps in the past Kings and Queens stay at either Buckingham palace or Windsor Castle. So perhaps the royal yacht will come in handy for the crown prince couple.
So my whole post is about speculation on where our favourite Danish royals will stay. And I'm excited that Mary will experience a big royal wedding. Victoria's was pretty big, but the British will go very big with this one, I expect.:smile:

Yes, Christian and Bella can share a staff cabin somewhere. But I don't think they will come. Two small children, plus a nanny and two Danish PET officers, perhaps a British as well, if they at some point leave the ship. In a city that on top of that is buzzing with activity. No, no need to bring that many for a event that will last a couple of days. The twins will most likely come along.

Your suggestion about staying onboard Dannebrog seems very plausible to me. I don't think Joachim and la Marie will go. For Harry's wedding, if and when he marries, yes, but not this one.

Dannebrog will be escorted by a warship if she sails to London. She usually is when she leaves Danish territorial waters. Partly because it's appropriate, partly for security reasons but also because the warship can double as a handy tender.
Additional staff can be accomodated onboard the warship. Like Mary and Margrethe's hairdressers and so on.
From a security point of view, it will also ease the job of British security, as British law, as I understand it, prevents foreign armed police officers from operating on British soil. Onboard Dannebrog the security of the DRF is mainly the responsibility of the Danish authorities.

Well, soon time to go home. Goodnight.

AnnaNotherThing 11-16-2010 08:51 PM

Nice way to steal Mary's twin thunder, Will and Kate ;)

Now that there is a big, much anticipated wedding to look forward to, the birth of twins seems so ordinary and mumsy in comparison...I am still anxious for the twins, but now have something else to preoccupy me...

Terri Terri 11-16-2010 08:57 PM

Well...by the time the twins come next month...the engagement of Prince William and Catherine Middleton will be old news:lol::lol: But yes...the engagement is a nice diversion until the twins come! But Prince William's engagement was always going to be big news all over the world...let's not kid ourselves!:whistling: Mary's twins (her 3rd and 4th children) is important news in Denmark, Australia and on royal message boards! I'm sure that CP Mary is glad that while she waits out the rest of her pregnancy...the Danish media has Catherine Middleton to focus on!

Tarlita 11-16-2010 09:27 PM

Everyone loves a good news story and the birth of royal twins will still be special despite William and Kate. People can gobble up plenty of good news whether it is a birth or an up coming wedding. I feel excited for Mary as the twins will be an emotional and exciting time, and then six or so months down the track she will attend a really special event as only a grand British royal heir wedding can be. To be in a cathedral with so many royals and Heads of state and all those Arab leaders will be quite something. I know she has experienced many times this sort of thing but it has always been on a smaller scale. I bet the yacht crew will be delighted to have the twins on board if they chose to use the Dannebrog for the occasion.
We as spectators have much to look forward to with the birth of the twins and two royal weddings within about 7 months. It will be a nice change from the doom and gloom we face on the news most nights.

4Pam 11-16-2010 11:51 PM

It's a new chapter for both families... William & Kate starting their lives together as a married couple and more children for the DRF.

4Pam 11-16-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarlita (Post 1160754)
Everyone loves a good news story and the birth of royal twins will still be special despite William and Kate. People can gobble up plenty of good news whether it is a birth or an up coming wedding. I feel excited for Mary as the twins will be an emotional and exciting time, and then six or so months down the track she will attend a really special event as only a grand British royal heir wedding can be. To be in a cathedral with so many royals and Heads of state and all those Arab leaders will be quite something. I know she has experienced many times this sort of thing but it has always been on a smaller scale. I bet the yacht crew will be delighted to have the twins on board if they chose to use the Dannebrog for the occasion.
We as spectators have much to look forward to with the birth of the twins and two royal weddings within about 7 months. It will be a nice change from the doom and gloom we face on the news most nights.

It can't get any bigger than a wedding thrown by the BRF. I can't wait to see what dress Mary will wear and the jewels. She rarely disappoints. :flowers:

Katrianna 11-17-2010 01:32 AM

I hardly think William and Kate plus Albert and Charlene discussed announcing their engagements to take the spotlight away from the Crown Prince Couple expecting twins.:ermm:
If the Denmark Royals attend the BRF wedding, and they will, I expect the attire will be day attire and not gowns/tiaras since I'm thinking it will be in the morning or early afternoon. The twins, if allowed to go along which I'm sure they will, will be another bright spot in the celebrations.

UserDane 11-17-2010 01:50 AM

Does everyone expect the Scandinavian royal houses to turn up in England in 'full force' at the wedding - I mean both kings, queens and CP couples?
The British royals certainly do not appear 'in full force' at throne follower weddings in other European royal families. I would personally be OK with having Joachim and Marie representing Denmark (don't kill me, I do know that a lot of people consider the british royalty to be in a league of their own, but still :smile:)

Madame Royale 11-17-2010 02:00 AM

Joachim and Marie are probably a likely choice, though I'd imagine any of them could attend or shall be invited. I'd prefer to see Frederik and Mary attend but that's only because I follow them the closest of all European royals. Any excuse to see the Crown Princess dressed to the nines ;):biggrin:

Tarlita 11-17-2010 04:29 AM

With regards to the British way of doing weddings with a future to the throne, in the past they have always invited the senior royals from every house, then the Crown Prince couples. For instance the Grand Duke of Luxembourg and his heir Guillaume will be invited. All the Commonwealth Heads of State will be invited including the Governor Generals who are the Queens representatives in those countries.
If I remember correctly at Diana's wedding the press had some fun with a pic of the King of Tonga [who was a very very large man & was sitting in an open carriage with a tiny man from somewhere. The caption read - Who is that sitting opposite the King of Tonga? answer- lunch.
The queen prefers seniority in these circumstances. At any rate it will be a great event for the european royal couples to catch up again. At this stage I don't know whether it would be full tiara or hats for the day. And by then Mary will probably have her figure nearly back to normal.
Her choice of outfit will be interesting. Can you see milliners and designers everywhere rubbing there hands together in glee.

Madame Royale 11-17-2010 04:57 AM

If ONLY I could dress Mary. If only ;):tongue:

Muhler 11-17-2010 06:47 AM

Well, it had to happen I guess. :tongue:

BT has compiled a gallery comparing Mary and Kate Middleton: Så meget ligner Mary og Kate hinanden | www.bt.dk

At least they haven't gone as far as TV2 Gossip, which has put up a poll to see who is the most beautiful of the two. :whistling: That may be just a tiiiny bit over the top.

I guess similar stuff is printed in other countries right now. :rolleyes:

Aotearoagal 11-17-2010 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 1160900)
If ONLY I could dress Mary. If only ;):tongue:

I'd personally love you to, but of course Mary will take this fantastic opportunity to promote a Danish designer to an audience of a billion.

Given that Mary is the wife of the heir, and not the second in line, there may be a surprise; there's no obligation to invite Frederik and Mary protocol-wise (they're of a different generation in the sense that Frederik and Charles are the first in line). If invitation numbers can stretch, it could well be that Marie - being that bit younger - is invited along with Queen Margrethe and Henrik. It's unlikely that there will be many reps from the Danish royals though - there will be many, many home-grown obligations to look after. Particularly as the timing for the wedding is being touted as an opportunity to light up domestic economic gloom. I wouldn't be surprised if the Danish royal party is just a party of two. There's no evidence of a personal relationship between Frederik and Mary and anyone in the British royal family. Interestingly, because of his academic interest in royal history, I believe Joachim is closer to at least junior (in the status not age sense) members of the BRF than Frederik.

Muhler 11-17-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aotearoagal (Post 1160966)
I'd personally love you to, but of course Mary will take this fantastic opportunity to promote a Danish designer to an audience of a billion.

Given that Mary is the wife of the heir, and not the second in line, there may be a surprise; there's no obligation to invite Frederik and Mary protocol-wise (they're of a different generation in the sense that Frederik and Charles are the first in line). If invitation numbers can stretch, it could well be that Marie - being that bit younger - is invited along with Queen Margrethe and Henrik. It's unlikely that there will be many reps from the Danish royals though - there will be many, many home-grown obligations to look after. Particularly as the timing for the wedding is being touted as an opportunity to light up domestic economic gloom. I wouldn't be surprised if the Danish royal party is just a party of two. There's no evidence of a personal relationship between Frederik and Mary and anyone in the British royal family. Interestingly, because of his academic interest in royal history, I believe Joachim is closer to at least junior (in the status not age sense) members of the BRF than Frederik.

Joachim is in fact also closer as an aquintance to the BRF than M&F, who as you point out, doesn't have any particuar affiliation with members of the BRF.

However according to the press in DK, it's practically a given thing that the Regent Couple and M&F will attend. This being a future CP wedding.
The question is whether Benedikte, J&M or neither of them will attend as well.
Someone will have to stay back as Regent anyway.

Lumutqueen 11-17-2010 07:00 AM

It would be nice to M&F to attend.

Madame Royale 11-17-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aotearoagal (Post 1160966)

I quite agree, and rightly so! Danish design is exceptional and in her capacity as a promoter of Danish fashion, we would expect nothing less.

And thanks ;)

Sternchen 11-17-2010 07:08 AM

As Mary and Fred were also invited to the Birthday of Charles, I think they are the most likely choice for the wedding, too :)

Terri Terri 11-17-2010 06:20 PM

Well...I can understand the invitation to Prince Charles' birthday as he is the Prince of Wales and the heir just like CP Frederik is. William is the heir of the heir and a lot younger. Also, there is Prince Albert's wedding next year as well and he is a head of state. I can imagined that the CP Couple will attend Prince Albert's wedding while Joachim & Marie can attend Prince William's. Of course, is can also be vice versa (i.e. Joachim & Marie attends Prince Albert's wedding, given that Marie is french born, while CP Frederik & CP Mary attend William's wedding - Mary's parents were Scots). Regardless, time will tell if the CP Couple of Denmark will attend both weddings next year.

snowflower 11-17-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrianna (Post 1160827)
I hardly think William and Kate plus Albert and Charlene discussed announcing their engagements to take the spotlight away from the Crown Prince Couple expecting twins.:ermm:
If the Denmark Royals attend the BRF wedding, and they will, I expect the attire will be day attire and not gowns/tiaras since I'm thinking it will be in the morning or early afternoon. The twins, if allowed to go along which I'm sure they will, will be another bright spot in the celebrations.

But does it really matter if the Crown Princely Couple is not in the spotlight for expecting twins ? The are after all the future Head of State of a European country and his wife not celebrities not need the spotlight.As for the twins I think their parents might be reluctant to take them along if they go after all - they would only be a few months old and they might be afraid that the trip will make them tired or that they will get sick perhaps (I do not have children yet so I might be talking 100% nonsense right now
:biggrin:)

Katrianna 11-18-2010 12:10 AM

No, it doesn't matter. I was just answering to Annaother Thing's post about William and Kate's engagement stealing Mary's twin's thunder. It's a few posts before mine.:flowers:

RubyPrincess168 11-18-2010 02:23 AM

I don't think W&K's engagement will steal Mary's twins' thunder at all. The birth of the twins will be a welcome diversion from the endless speculation about W&K's wedding, etc.

nwinther 11-18-2010 07:51 AM

I think invitations go out to the DRF as a whole. Then the DRF replies who will attend. It is very possible that, say, F&M will be occupied and J&M attends instead along with the RC - or any combination thereof.

MissSaga 11-18-2010 08:09 AM

I imagine they will send the Queen, Henry, and M&F. CAN'T WAIT! :lol:

Muhler 11-18-2010 09:38 AM

Summary of an interview in Billed Bladet #46, 2010.
Lykkeligere end nogensinde - More happy than ever.
Interviewer: Ulrik Ulriksen. (*)

Frederik recenly spent three days in Athens taking parts in meetings and dinners and other activities in connection with the International Sailsports Union, ISAF. Partly in his capacity as a member of ISAF but also as a member of IOC.

Frederik is in favour of renewal within sailsports, including the idea of again introducing crews consiting of both men and women. That topic was discussed and so was which classes of boats that are to take part in the Olympics.

However, he also dealt with his family life.

Q: What are his thoughts now, with Christmas in a new home coming up and the birth of twins?
Frederik replied: "It's great. Now you are entering a good and exciting phase. The decisively final phase..." and added that eventhough they are not just sitting around waiting but also have plenty of other activities, he is not keen on going far away from now on. To say Australia USA. He will stay close in this final period.

Q: What are his thoughts about opening a new chapter in his life, regarding moving in in a new home and having more children?
Frederik replied: "It's fun and it certainly keeps me young. It's fantastic that the good faith has decided (**) that you should have two and not one child here very soon. That's what's right now the big drive in my life".
The moving into a new home is more coincidental and secondary.

Q: Do you feel happier than ever before?
F: "You might say that. I'm certainly delighted over the present and that the really good times are coming with a doubling of the number of children". He ends with a saying meaning that good times that are now in the past are not lost.

Q: Not knowing when the twins will arrive does he look forward to Christmas this year more excited than usual?
F: "We must concentrate on Christian and Isabella. It's most fun to watch them and how Christmas is for them. The first two Christmas Eves are the cheapest, because then the children don't comprehend what Christmas is. But now they have really figured out what Christmas Eve means and that it's the time presents. As to the two new ones and that they might arrive a little ahead of schedule, we'll just have to see what happens. We should probably just take one day at a time. But we won't really think about that until January".

(*) Ulrik Ulriksen can sometimes write somewhat "colorful" articles but he is a competent interviewer, who in contrast to many other interviewers ask relevant questions.

(**) Frederik is a Christian and typical of the Danes, he does not say "God" but instead refer to something more general. Referring directly to God, would in the eyes of many Danes, including myself, be considered corny and presumptious. - As if God hasn't got better things to do, than dealing with your petty issues. It may have something to do with the basically more austere interpretation of religion in the Lutheran version of Protestantism.

MaximaRocks 11-18-2010 01:02 PM

I think among Royal Watchers, the twins birth will definitely be an event..but amongst the world and media at large, the engagement and wedding of W&K will rule the magazines and web. No question.

I mean realistically, a very small percentage of the world know who the monarch in Denmark is--let alone Mary and that she is having twins. I mean when Angelina Jolie had twins--that seemed to be on every English speaking mag and beyond. Just putting perspective on the big picture.

I read W&K are hoping for a March date..which would only put Mary 3 months after the birth of twins. They might try to attend, but depending on how the birth goes...it would be tough.

Muhler 11-18-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximaRocks (Post 1162134)
I think among Royal Watchers, the twins birth will definitely be an event..but amongst the world and media at large, the engagement and wedding of W&K will rule the magazines and web. No question.

I mean realistically, a very small percentage of the world know who the monarch in Denmark is--let alone Mary and that she is having twins. I mean when Angelina Jolie had twins--that seemed to be on every English speaking mag and beyond. Just putting perspective on the big picture.

I read W&K are hoping for a March date..which would only put Mary 3 months after the birth of twins. They might try to attend, but depending on how the birth goes...it would be tough.

:lol: You are probably right.

However, to some of us, perhaps in particular those of us living in countries with our own royal families, the marriage and events in the BRF may not be that big a thing. ;)

MARGIE622 11-18-2010 03:13 PM

Can anyone tell me pass or present of any royal twins in any royal family in the world :whistling:

Princess Robijn 11-18-2010 03:30 PM

:previous:

We have a topic for that. :flowers:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ins-19029.html

Sereta 11-18-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1161986)
Summary of an interview in Billed Bladet #46, 2010.
Lykkeligere end nogensinde - More happy than ever.
Interviewer: Ulrik Ulriksen. (*)

Thx Muhler. I appreciate you sharing with us this interview with Frederik. :flowers:

Katrianna 11-19-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximaRocks (Post 1162134)

You've got it right. Frederik and Mary stopped in Nebraska about a year ago to visit Dana College (actually not far from where I live) and people didn't know who they were, but the local papers and tv stations had some very nice interviews with the couple. They went to New York and didn't even make the network news as happens with all Royalty except the BRF.

MissSaga 11-19-2010 03:28 AM

For royal watchers, both Mary's twins and William & Catherine's weddings are HUGE 2011 events. I'm excited for both, though I could imagine that the birth of the twins and the whole name thing etc. will move me even more than the british wedding. However, for the average person, the average journalist/photographer William and Kate's wedding is 20 times more important that the twins, simply because let's face it noone except danes, australians (that's about 25 million) and royal watchers know who Mary&Fred are.

But it's not a competition - it's two extremely happy events that will happen in 2011, that we can look SO MUCH forward to!

BTW, Do you think William&Kate has a clue that Mary is having twins? Let alone who Fred&Mary really are? I imagine Fred&Will must have met? Does anyone have information or pictures of this?

Madame Royale 11-19-2010 03:33 AM

Of course William would know who the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Denmark are. I think he'd have to be pretty dense not to know who's who of Europes royal houses. It would be appalling if he didn't...

William would have met Mary at his father's 60th Birthday at Buckingham Palace, back in '08'.

Duke of Marmalade 11-19-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 1162477)
William would have met Mary at his father's 60th Birthday at Buckingham Palace, back in '08'.

He will remember her since she was the woman with the goth outfit, very common in the UK :tongue:
https://myroyal.files.wordpress.com/2...pg?w=470&h=908

Hopefully Mary gets her outfit right next time she attends a big Windsor party.

Madame Royale 11-19-2010 03:50 AM

You never were a fan were you...;)

She looked sensational!!...haha.

From a (my) professional view point, she couldn't have looked better, and to this day, it remains one of my favourite ensembles worn by the Crown Princess.

I was terribly dissapointed that there were no other notable photo's taken on this evening however.

A group shot would have been quite the portrait. One was probably taken, just not made public.

Duke of Marmalade 11-19-2010 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 1162483)
You never were a fan were you...;)

She looked sensational!!...haha.

From a (my) professional view point, she couldn't have looked better, and to this day, it remains one of my favourite ensembles worn by the Crown Princess.

I was terribly dissapointed that there were no other notable photo's taken on this evening however.

A group shot would have been quite the portrait. One was probably taken, just not made public.

Well, I'd like to differentiate :flowers: While I loved the look ABOVE the shoulders, I still shudder when I look DOWN the shoulders.

But back to topic. Unfortunately it was considered a private event what meant no pictures of the party or guests, probably for low-profile-reasons.
There were official shots though, but only of the core BRF walking into the reception room.

Madame Royale 11-19-2010 04:46 AM

So her face and hair :tongue:

I can appreciate that it wouldn 't have been to the liking of some (surely not many?.lol.), but for me it ticked all the right boxes. and some. I could have melted with envy when I saw the above photograph for the first time!! Superrrb.

But yes, her hair looked beautiful. It sat well and the style suits her.

Queen Elizabeth too looked lovely that particular night. The evening gown she wore is a particular favourite of mine as the cut, colour and fabric flatters her greatly.

Too bad about the photo's though. That would have been one impressive group shot.

Anywho, I think I've hijacked this thread long enough :biggrin:

betina 11-19-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissSaga (Post 1162472)
For royal watchers, both Mary's twins and William & Catherine's weddings are HUGE 2011 events. I'm excited for both, though I could imagine that the birth of the twins and the whole name thing etc. will move me even more than the british wedding. However, for the average person, the average journalist/photographer William and Kate's wedding is 20 times more important that the twins, simply because let's face it noone except danes, australians (that's about 25 million) and royal watchers know who Mary&Fred are.

But it's not a competition - it's two extremely happy events that will happen in 2011, that we can look SO MUCH forward to!

BTW, Do you think William&Kate has a clue that Mary is having twins? Let alone who Fred&Mary really are? I imagine Fred&Will must have met? Does anyone have information or pictures of this?

It should be odd if he doesnt know the danish royal family as he actuually decent from them.
Furthermore our queens brother in law is Williams godfather.

crisscross1 11-19-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaNotherThing (Post 1160729)
Nice way to steal Mary's twin thunder, Will and Kate ;)

Now that there is a big, much anticipated wedding to look forward to, the birth of twins seems so ordinary and mumsy in comparison...I am still anxious for the twins, but now have something else to preoccupy me...

There seems to be some upset about the fact that Will and Kate's wedding will steal limelight from the birth of the twins. Has it actually been announced yet that the wedding will be 2011. Perhaps it will be 2012, or maybe later???

agami.pearl 11-19-2010 08:48 AM

Yes, wedding will be in spring or summer 2011.

4Pam 11-19-2010 11:01 AM

I doubt any thunder was "stolen" from the royal twins. I see it as two families celebrating lives. The BRF will celebrate it with the marriage of Will & Kate while the DRF will celebrate with the addition of more children.

I wonder if Mary has met HM? Anyone know?

Duke of Marmalade 11-19-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Pam (Post 1162721)
I wonder if Mary has met HM? Anyone know?

most likely at charles' 60th bday party ...

salma 11-19-2010 11:35 AM

Most elegant women 2010 Votación: La gran encuesta de la elegancia 2010 - hola.com

4Pam 11-21-2010 11:48 PM

A look back on Fred & Mary's wedding from the Huffington Post.

Princess Mary & Prince Frederik's Wedding: A Look Back (PHOTOS)

Aotearoagal 11-22-2010 02:28 AM

Somehow I think Mary would be very, very happy if the W&K marriage overshadowed the birth of her babies! Then she and Frederik, Isabella and Christian, and possibly members of Mary's large and close Tasmanian/Scottish family would have more marvellous time together as a family, in private, doing family things .... free of the paparazzi ...

fairy tale 11-28-2010 09:06 AM

The new King Frederik VIII's Palace is ready for the royal couple: Monday morning Crown Prince Frederik could for the first time invite guests into his and the Crown Princess' new home, Frederik VIII's Palace at Amalienborg. (I hope Google translated it right?!)

Google Translation