The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Earl and Countess of Wessex and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f114/)
-   -   Education of Lady Louise and Viscount Severn (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f114/education-of-lady-louise-and-viscount-severn-25879.html)

Hopewell 11-20-2009 12:47 PM

Education of Lady Louise and Viscount Severn

Has it been announced where Lady Louise will be going to school? Also, anyone have any newer pictures of Louise and James--since Windsor Horse Show or Trooping the Colour?

Iluvbertie 11-20-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopewell (Post 1021616)
Has it been announced where Lady Louise will be going to school? Also, anyone have any newer pictures of Louise and James--since Windsor Horse Show or Trooping the Colour?

As far as I am aware no announcement has been made in line with the Wessex's determination to have their children grow up in relative anonymity which is also why they don't release photos of their children.

I personally will respect the desires of the parents and allow these two children to grow up and be able to eventually have non-royal jobs like their more distant cousins - the Kent and Gloucester children (and of course Peter Philips).

Mermaid1962 11-20-2009 04:14 PM

That's my thinking as well. We'll likely see them on the balconey for Trooping the Colour, but that's about it except for other high-profile occasions--Royal weddings and so on.:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1021680)
I personally will respect the desires of the parents and allow these two children to grow up and be able to eventually have non-royal jobs like their more distant cousins - the Kent and Gloucester children (and of course Peter Philips).

Lumutqueen 11-20-2009 07:17 PM

Apparently Lady Louise is at St Georges School, Ascot. Where Eugenie went. She is 6 years old, i thought she was already at school. :flowers: I assume she'll be there till 13.

windsorgirl 11-20-2009 08:34 PM

I thought it would be interesting to find out more information about St. George's School but found that it is for girls aged 11-18, so I think that Louise might be at school elsewhere. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. :flowers:

This is one of the pages that indicates the age range:
St George's School, Ascot - Your First Year

Iluvbertie 11-21-2009 01:27 AM

The confusion is being caused because very close to St Georges at Ascot (where Princess Beatrice and Lady Davina Lewis are numbered among the alumnae - along with Winston Churchill from when it was a boys preparatory school - or elementary school for our North American cousins) is St Georges School at Windsor where Princess Eugenie went to Primary school and that is where Louise is attending. This school was originally for the choir boys at St Georges Chapel Windsor but is now a general primary school. St George's School, Windsor St George's School, Windsor Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hopewell 11-21-2009 09:18 AM

Thanks for the update on the school choice

It's nice that she's so close to Granny! I imagine the school is a perfect choice. Wonder if she'll be a boarder somewhere later on or if she'll go on as a day student. As an American I just can't fathom sending my kids away before College [University]!

windsorgirl 11-21-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1021852)
The confusion is being caused because very close to St Georges at Ascot (where Princess Beatrice and Lady Davina Lewis are numbered among the alumnae - along with Winston Churchill from when it was a boys preparatory school - or elementary school for our North American cousins) is St Georges School at Windsor where Princess Eugenie went to Primary school and that is where Louise is attending. This school was originally for the choir boys at St Georges Chapel Windsor but is now a general primary school. St George's School, Windsor St George's School, Windsor Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, Iluvbertie!! :smile:

Iluvbertie 11-21-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopewell (Post 1021924)
It's nice that she's so close to Granny! I imagine the school is a perfect choice. Wonder if she'll be a boarder somewhere later on or if she'll go on as a day student. As an American I just can't fathom sending my kids away before College [University]!

Of the Queen's 10 direct descendents who have left school (4 kids and 6 grandkids) only one has been a day student at school and that was Beatrice at St Georges at Ascot. All the others were boarders for high school.

As someone who attended boarding school for high school, even though there were good schools in the town where I lived at the time, I can say that there were far more activities taking place at the boarding school than at a day school. A normal day started with breakfast and then music practice (if you studied an instrument) but the advantage was that at least on of the school's music teachers or a senior student who was so far ahead of us juniors that if we were having trouble we could get help - certainly helped my music), chapel, then our classes. After school was a range of sports activities, training, swimming, tennis etc and then fun in our common room, or other activities all with your friends of course - it might be practicing for the upcoming house competition e.g. drama night, debating, public speaking, choir etc, dinner, supervised homework time where again help was available from senior students or teachers if needed, and then other activities before bed. No worries about travelling to and from school, leaving books at home, forgetting what homework to do (it was listed on the boards in our homerooms), needing to get something from the library to do homework - only needed a note to go to the library, etc. Overall I believe I had a far better education at my boarding school than I would have had at a day school and the friends I made there at still the best ones I have - far better than the new friends I made at university or since entering the workforce - because we shared so much in those growing up years.

Patra 11-21-2009 04:45 PM

I do love it when I get to see photos posted of Lady Louise...she remids me so much of QE II at that age.

It is common in the United States for children to go to day school a few days a week from age 2-3, and then begin "real" day/elementary school from age 4 to 18. If Lady Louise is 6, she would be in our "First Grade" (age four is Pre-Kindergarden, age five is kindergarden)

University studies typically begin at age 18 thru 22.

Hopewell 06-22-2011 03:28 PM

Given that Edward may be made Duke of Edinburgh after his father dies and that he has taken on a lot of the Duke's roles I wonder if Louise and James will attend Gordonstoun? From the 60s/70s royal group at the school it seems few if any have sent their children there. Charles and Norton Knatchbull [now Lord Brabourne] sent their sons to Eton (and Brabourne's daughter to a traditional school too I believe), Andrew's daughters went elsewhere, India Hicks son is at Stowe and I believe Helen Windsor Taylor went there for a while and her son is at Wellington which is in the same group of schools. Princess Anne, who seems "made" for the school, but wasn't able to attend since it was still all boys in her day, sent her kids there though.

IloveCP 12-05-2011 04:33 AM

I wonder if Louise gets bullied because of her eye problem.I hope not.Louise seems like she is very confidant at public events.Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.

Lumutqueen 12-05-2011 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveCP (Post 1343506)
Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.

I disagree, I don't think they're brave for letting their child lead a normal life as possible. Considering the school she's attending, I don't think bullying of any sort would be tolerated.

Daria_S 12-05-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

I wonder if Louise gets bullied because of her eye problem.I hope not.Louise seems like she is very confidant at public events.Edward and Sophie are very brave to let her go to school and be not home-schooled.

I've lived with a visual impairment all my life, and I survived school just fine. The key is, as has been stated, to let the child be as normal as possible. Expectations need to be same for her, as they are for her classmates and typically developing peers. I'm sure her parents and teachers do all they can to make sure that Louise is getting the education she needs. I've studied a great deal about children who are visually impaired (I'm a certified teacher in the field), and on a big scheme of things, Louise's condition is not at all severe. Simple adaptation of preferential seating would make her life a lot easier, and I'm sure her teachers are well aware.

Rebafan81 12-06-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daria_S (Post 1343562)
I've lived with a visual impairment all my life, and I survived school just fine. The key is, as has been stated, to let the child be as normal as possible. Expectations need to be same for her, as they are for her classmates and typically developing peers. I'm sure her parents and teachers do all they can to make sure that Louise is getting the education she needs. I've studied a great deal about children who are visually impaired (I'm a certified teacher in the field), and on a big scheme of things, Louise's condition is not at all severe. Simple adaptation of preferential seating would make her life a lot easier, and I'm sure her teachers are well aware.

I so agree about letting her go to school but unfortunately kids can be so cruel. My grandson was born with a severe heart defect, so there is no muscle in his left eye lid, he can hardly open it. He has had two surgeries for it so far, but he started K-Garten and only one child has made fun of him. The teachers do a fantastic job of keeping them apart and making the other kids understand Donovans health issues. I am glad he is in regular school because it actually makes him feel normal, instead of different.:flowers:

Diarist 12-06-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopewell (Post 1271529)
Given that Edward may be made Duke of Edinburgh after his father dies and that he has taken on a lot of the Duke's roles I wonder if Louise and James will attend Gordonstoun? From the 60s/70s royal group at the school it seems few if any have sent their children there. Charles and Norton Knatchbull [now Lord Brabourne] sent their sons to Eton (and Brabourne's daughter to a traditional school too I believe), Andrew's daughters went elsewhere, India Hicks son is at Stowe and I believe Helen Windsor Taylor went there for a while and her son is at Wellington which is in the same group of schools. Princess Anne, who seems "made" for the school, but wasn't able to attend since it was still all boys in her day, sent her kids there though.

Lady Helen Taylor attended St Mary's Wantage, a Girls' Public School [i.e. private school!!] which was popular with 'smart set Society parents'. It was quite a strict school, run by Anglican Nuns. She then went on to Gordonstoun for her A levels. From memory, she they had to do 're-takes' at a crammer, although I might be mistaken in this respect. St Mary's has now merged with Heathfield, in Ascot [near Windsor Castle].

Marlborough seems to be quite a popular 'royal' school at the moment, because Princess Eugenie went there and so did the Middleton children.

There are of course any number of good private girls' day schools near the Wessex family home, and it could be that Edward and Sophie might take that option.

I doubt if Lady Louise would be bullied; apart from the fact that schools -and particularly Public schools - are nowadays very aware of the problem and thus able to take such action as is necessary, I would think that her 'royal' position would make her a very popular young lady.

Just my thoughts,

Alex

Iluvbertie 12-06-2011 03:13 PM

As she is currently at St Georges and Beatrice then went to the High School St Georges at Ascot that would seem a good choice as she also wouldn't need to board.

TLLK 12-06-2011 03:45 PM

Question for our UK posters. At what age do children leave primary or elementary school and move on to middle/high school?

Lumutqueen 12-06-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 1343958)
Question for our UK posters. At what age do children leave primary or elementary school and move on to middle/high school?

They leave at 10/11.

TLLK 12-06-2011 03:53 PM

Thank you!

Molly2101 12-06-2011 04:04 PM

I can't see Edward and Sophie sending Louise and James to boarding school, but I could be wrong in thinking this. I do believe they will no doubt send them to private secondary schools, no doubt grammar schools, but I don't see the Wessex children at boarding school.

Louise's current school is a mixed primary school, but I wonder if she will attend a single sex school for her secondary education. I attended a single sex school and I must admit, I hated it. It was a grammar school so it was well behaved, but at the same time the competition levels were so high because we were all girls, therefore we all wanted to do better than each other. I don't think the school Louise would attend would be like that though.

James is turning 4 in December so he must be attending nursery at the minute. Does anyone know if St George's School in Windsor has a nursery?

On a side note, do Edward and Sophie pay for their children's education or is there a seperate fund from the Queen for that?

Lumutqueen 12-06-2011 04:13 PM

:previous:
George's is for children between 3 and 13, so he could be there already. And it would be safe to assume that Louise will stay at Georges until Year 8 at 13 and then to either Marlborough or St Georges in Ascot. I believe it will be up to Louise and James if the option to board at their school is open, personally I see no reason for it when they schools are so close. St Georges Ascot which Louise could attend from 13+ is an all girls school, Marlborough is not. Fees for St Georges in Windsor are between £2,000 and £4,000 per term (which by the way is the current university fees to do a degree in England per year), so i'm going to go with getting some help on that front.

Molly2101 12-06-2011 04:23 PM

(That is the fee for university for now, until Cameron gets his way next year, but that is a whole other ballgame!)

I imagine Edward and Sophie will want to keep their children close by, so I think Marlborough is probably a best bet, or the school Eugenie went to. It was lovely to see Louise with her school friends at The Garter Service in June of this year, she looked like she was getting along so well with them. Lovely to see the interaction, particularly the images if her picking her nose! I did think the fees for private school would be pretty steep so assistance in that department was likely. I suppose they have no way around it as they couldn't realistically send Louise or James to the local school as they would attract a lot of attention, mainly because of their titles. I don't know about you, but I didn't have many Lady's or Viscounts in my primary school!

Lumutqueen 12-06-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 1343975)
(That is the fee for university for now, until Cameron gets his way next year, but that is a whole other ballgame!)

Hence the use of the word "current". Fees will go up next year for university to between £8,000 to £9,000 and that is every university in England.

Quote:

I imagine Edward and Sophie will want to keep their children close by, so I think Marlborough is probably a best bet, or the school Eugenie went to.

That is the school Eugenie went to, she went from George's, Windsor to Marlborough.

Quote:

I suppose they have no way around it as they couldn't realistically send Louise or James to the local school as they would attract a lot of attention, mainly because of their titles.

Actually they could send Louise and James to a normal school, they've just chosen not to. I believe, although different country different press, the Danish royal children Isabella and Christian go to an ordinary school. If it were 'safe' for James and Louise to attend a 'normal' school (I guess we're talking about one that doesn't have £4,000 a term fees) then I don't see why they aren't. I guess there's the tradition element.

NGalitzine 12-06-2011 05:02 PM

I tend to believe the quality of education is better at public school when compared to your local grammar school. 2000 to 4000 pounds a term really isnt that expensive for a quality education. I doubt if the Wessex's would need assistance in paying the fees.

Lumutqueen 12-06-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGalitzine
I tend to believe the quality of education is better at public school when compared to your local grammar school. 2000 to 4000 pounds a term really isnt that expensive for a quality education. I doubt if the Wessex's would need assistance in paying the fees.

How does the quality of education differ between public and private schools when you see public and pray students doing the exact same courses in life and getting the exact if not better results? This is not probably a matter for this thread. But paying for the same level of education you would recieve for free, is silly. But of you've got the money to 'spend' away, then why no in the case of the royals.

NGalitzine 12-06-2011 06:12 PM

We will have to agree to disagree on the merits of being privately educated as opposed to going to a state school. I believe that smaller class sizes, sports, exposure to the arts have value and that generally these are more available to students who are privately educated. I also believe going to universities such as Oxford or Cambridge will get you farther than getting a degree from Hull or Kent, but again that is just my personal opinon or prejudice if you will.

Al_bina 12-06-2011 06:25 PM

One might argue that a fair number of individuals, who are privately educated and go onto the Oxbridge, tend to go farther due to nepotism. It is like some private club the one has to be born into. Such situation applies to Lady Louise.

Mirabel 12-06-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGalitzine (Post 1344008)
We will have to agree to disagree on the merits of being privately educated as opposed to going to a state school. I believe that smaller class sizes, sports, exposure to the arts have value and that generally these are more available to students who are privately educated. I also believe going to universities such as Oxford or Cambridge will get you farther than getting a degree from Hull or Kent, but again that is just my personal opinon or prejudice if you will.

I agree with you.
But it's more than that, imo.
A Harvard student once made the comment: We are paying for each other's company.

I think this might have something to do with choosing a private (public) rather than a state school. :whistling:

muriel 12-15-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 1343958)

If the children are at public schools (private, fee paying schools), boys will typically leave at 13 and girls at 11.

Lumutqueen 12-15-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1346943)
If the children are at public schools (private, fee paying schools), boys will typically leave at 13 and girls at 11.

I'm confused by your post - at public schools boys and girls both leave at 11. At private fee paying schools it's entirely dependent upon the child and their parents. Such as St George's in Windsor goes up to age 13 but Louise could leave at 11 and go to a school up until she is 18. You seem to be mixing the two together?

muriel 12-15-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1346944)
I'm confused by your post - at public schools boys and girls both leave at 11. At private fee paying schools it's entirely dependent upon the child and their parents. Such as St George's in Windsor goes up to age 13 but Louise could leave at 11 and go to a school up until she is 18. You seem to be mixing the two together?

Typically, at privately funded, fee paying, "independent" schools (also referred to as "public schools"), girls leave at 11 and boys at 13 after sitting entrance tests for secondary schools. Some schools operate on a 7+ entry system whereby 6 year olds sit tests and are interviewed to enter schools that will take them up to the A level or IB exams.

Lumutqueen 12-15-2011 10:57 AM

Strange - public schools to me have always been the ones the 'public' attended. And fee paying schools are known as private/independent schools.

muriel 12-15-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1346952)
Strange - public schools to me have always been the ones the 'public' attended. And fee paying schools are known as private/independent schools.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diarist (Post 1343926)
Lady Helen Taylor attended St Mary's Wantage, a Girls' Public School [i.e. private school!!] which was popular with 'smart set Society parents'.

Perhaps they use different terms in the north of England! :lol:

Lumutqueen 12-15-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1346954)
Perhaps they use different terms in the north of England! :lol:

Well surely the words used in the names would indicate who attended which. Public school.....public. :smile:
Public and Private are too very different things in the world mixing them is silly IMO. I shall continue to call a non fee paying school a public school and a fee paying one private. We have 7 fee paying schools in Yorkshire and they're all referred to as private schools. :lol:

Iluvbertie 12-15-2011 04:51 PM

Some history behind the terms here - when most of the more famous 'private' schools were founded they were called 'public' if they took in bright boys from the local population. e.g. Eton, Harrow, Westminster, Rugby, etc are the Great Public Schools - but they are private in that people have to pay fees, unless they are able to win a scholarship.

Here in NSW we have a set of boys schools which have been modelled on these schools from England (I don't know if there are any in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland hence the use of the term England) and they are called 'Greater Public Schools' or GPS for short.

A description of the terms for your benefit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_School_(UK)

This makes it clear that in the UK public funded schools are state schools while privately funded schools can and do call themselves public schools - based on the history behind the term.

Meadow 12-16-2011 12:27 AM

I have never heard of GPS schools in NSW and I worked for the Department of Education for over 20 years dealing in both public and the private schools. Over here even the private schools actually get a great deal of public monies which causes some problems with the public schools. The private schools tend to have better surroundings and choices in subjects. The teachers have a higher standard then the public school system as they can actually get fired for not performing whereas a public school teachers don't. We have selective high schools in NSW which are hard to get into and are similar to the private sector as they have goals to reach and it takes an exam etc to even get in. I think the education systems in Denmark and England are different. Could be they feel their kids are just as safe and will be just as well taught at this time. The High School they go to could be a different thing. I would think they would choose somewhere that gave the children the best chance to get the education they needed. I think Sophie and Edward will keep their children close to home while giving them the education and opportunities for a bright future. I doubt they would have any problems paying the school fees.

Iluvbertie 12-16-2011 01:29 AM

Kings, Sydney Boys High, Sydney Grammar, Newington, St Ignatius, St Joseph's, Scots, Shore and TAS (in Armidale) are the GPS schools in NSW. With the exception of Sydney Boys High the others are all independent, private schools but they are also Greater Public Schools. One of the best reported events of these schools is the Head of the River along with their Rugby games - where they get crowds of 10,000 plus. This is an historica term going back into the 19th C when these schools were forming.

I am surprised that someone who works in the Department of Education hasn't heard of the GPS schools seeing as the term is used so commonly in relation to these schools. e.g. Early start to curb drunken old boys in wake of latest rugby brawl | thetelegraph.com.au

I first heard of GPS schools in NSW in the 1960s (probably because my brother went to one) and I know a number of teachers who teach in them today.

I teach in an independent school - private etc. I wouldn't agree that teachers are better in private schools - as many of them started in the state system and simply left for a number of reasons - mainly due to the pay, conditions and atrocious behaviour of students. Not all private schools have the faciltiies of a Kings or a Shore. Many are like mine - lacking facilities e.g. no playing space for kids, demountable buildings (our new buildings are demountables replacing the old demountables - we are starting to build some brick ones but it will be another 30 years before they are done). We offer a limited number of subjects and are ranked in the HSC about 600 or lower.

From working with people who have also taught in schools in the UK I gather the conditions in state run schools in the UK are much the same so would expect that Louise and James would go to a fee-paying school - simply to ensure that they are at schools were the students are expected to behave.

muriel 12-16-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1346956)
Well surely the words used in the names would indicate who attended which. Public school.....public. :smile:
Public and Private are too very different things in the world mixing them is silly IMO. I shall continue to call a non fee paying school a public school and a fee paying one private. We have 7 fee paying schools in Yorkshire and they're all referred to as private schools. :lol:

The consistent willingness of some to smugly flaunt ignorance is always refreshing.

roseroyal 03-02-2012 12:46 AM

I seem way behind- did James start school?

Lumutqueen 03-02-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseroyal
I seem way behind- did James start school?

He either started primary School last September at age 3, or he's starting this September age 4. If he's not in school he's still at nursery.

Night 08-11-2017 06:19 AM

Louise Windsor school

Which school is Lady Louise going to after St Georges School which she just finished

Dee Anna 08-11-2017 07:10 AM

Welcome to the Royal Forums Night! :smile:

Interesting question. I don't know anything about the school/s the Wessex children attend, but Louise is 13, will be 14 in November. If she hasn't already commenced secondary school, she must be doing so this Autumn.

Iluvbertie 08-11-2017 07:18 AM

She has been at St Georges at Windsor and unless she has repeated a grade or two (and that is none of our business if she has and I have no reason to think she has either) she should be moving to high school this year.

Nearby is St Georges at Ascot, where Beatrice went to school. It has the advantage that Louise won't have to board, which with many other schools she would have to do.

I have no idea where she will go and I am not sure that we will be told. The alternative to St Georges at Ascot may be Gordonstoun as Edward seemed to have enjoyed his time there and it is now co-ed - both Zara and Peter went there as well. I do, however, get a feeling that the new young royals (and yes I know Louise is the same generation as Peter, Zara, William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie) aren't as likely to be shunted off to boarding schools. Mike is on record as saying they aren't going to send Mia to boarding school and there are reports that Kate and William also have no intention of sending George and Charlotte away.

Dee Anna 08-12-2017 06:34 AM

You are right in that Louise and James are of the same "generation" as their much older and adult (some parents themselves) cousins, but in reality are still children and the older members of the young generation in the BRF.

So in that sense can see day schools being more a popular choice, don't most of the elite schools cater for both these days?

In any case, if she hasn't already, Louise should be starting her senior school in the coming weeks.

TLLK 08-12-2017 11:25 AM

There does seem to have been a gradual shift in attitude and expectation when it comes to education in the BRF so if Louise and James do not attend boarding school then they might be the trendsetters for their cousins' children (Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte.)

Molly2101 08-12-2017 01:18 PM

I'm placing my bets on Louise going off to Marlborough College in September. St George's in Ascot is a good guess but I'm still thinking it will be Marlborough. She can board there but come home at the weekend as it's not too far away. Gordonstoun is just a bit too far away I think.

HereditaryPrincess 08-12-2017 01:40 PM

I think Louise will most likely attend a day school or a boarding school that's within a short enough distance for it to be easy for her to come home when she needs/wants to. I doubt she'll go to Gourdonstoun either, despite the fact that Edward reportedly enjoyed his time there.

The same goes for James - he could go to Eton I suppose; it's not that far from St. George's. However I think he will most likely go to the same secondary school as his sister since they went to primary school together - unless he is able to choose his own secondary school.

Countessmeout 08-12-2017 02:08 PM

I could see Louise at Marlborough. Close to home but still gets a bit of the independence of being away from home. Bea stayed at St George because of her learning disabilities.

I don't think we will see royals abandoning boarding schools, certainly not working royals. Simply a shift to starting later. Both Kate and Will enjoyed boarding school. I'd be shocked if we don't see Eton and likely Marlborough in their kids future. Will has wanted his kids to have a more normal upbringing like the Midfletons, but boarding school was part. Also when their parents are Prince and Princess of Wales and constantly on the road, it makes sense.

tommy100 08-12-2017 02:08 PM

I am inclined to say the children will not go to boarding schools as Ed & Sophie seem very hands on and I can imagine them wanting the children home each night. That said looking at it purely practically, and if money isn't a problem, they may choose a boarding school as it may increase the children's privacy and also allow Ed & Sophie time to do royal duties. Alternatively they may choose a school that is both day and boarding as increasingly more of these offer flexible boarding where children can board a night or two each week or when needed.

I can't see boarding schools being ruled out for any future generations but they may avoid sending them too early and may choose more low-key more normal schools than Eton.

Night 10-24-2017 07:02 PM

If either of Prince Edward's children go to university will the choice of universities they pick be public?

The reason why I ask is that Edward and his wife seem quite reluctant for their children to lose their privacy and they want them to be normal

AdmirerUS 10-24-2017 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night (Post 2031101)
If either of Prince Edward's children go to university will that be public like other members of the BRF?

The reason why I ask is that Edward and his wife seem quite reluctant for their children to lose their privacy and they want them to be normal

We will know where they go to school. And I don't entirely agree that E and S are seeking "normal." The kids are privileged and I don't think the family minds that. I just think the family wants them to avoid some of the scrutiny that comes from a life where the press is always allowed "in." We get to see both of the children at regular public events - certainly more of Louise this year at a number of horsy events.

I think the Wessexes seek privacy, rather than normalcy. I would too.

Moonmaiden23 10-24-2017 07:15 PM

:previous: "privacy, rather than normalcy". Perfectly stated!

Edward and Sophie probably undertand that it's near impossible for a Royal child or any Royal person to have true normalcy. Privacy is another matter.

And I think they are honest and realistic enough to understand the difference.:cool:

Skippyboo 10-24-2017 08:23 PM

Bea and Eugenie both went to university and werenít really bothered while there. I doubt that the paps are going to bother with Louise and James while they are at university.

camelot23ca 10-24-2017 09:34 PM

Edward and Sophie saw their children had the opportunity for private lives and gave it to them, which was a very wise decision, I think. Louise and James will still have all the unofficial privileges associated with being the grandchildren of a monarch - first rate educations, social and family connections, the opportunity to pursue their careers of choice, a nice, although probably not exorbitant sum of money set aside for them in trusts - without the constant attention and expectations that fall on working royals.

Molly2101 10-27-2017 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night (Post 2031101)
If either of Prince Edward's children go to university will the choice of universities they pick be public?

I’m not their university choices will be made public like the York sisters educations were. We got photos of Beatrice and Eugenie beginning primary school and we saw photos of Eugenie beginning St George’s in Windsor. We never saw anything like that with Louise and James. I’m not even sure how their primary school attendance was even made public. Likely it was leaked by a parent as I remember an article stating that Elton Johns kids were going to be going to the same school.

We also don’t know where Louise has gone for her secondary education. On the website of her previous school it lists the schools that pupils have gone on to and surprisingly Marlborough College isn’t one of them. I imagine she’s gone to St George’s in Ascot where Beatrice attended.

Princess Larisa 10-27-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 2032035)

We also donít know where Louise has gone for her secondary education. On the website of her previous school it lists the schools that pupils have gone on to and surprisingly Marlborough College isnít one of them. I imagine sheís gone to St Georgeís in Ascot where Beatrice attended.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard if Louise is going to boarding school.

Rosena6 03-19-2018 02:59 AM

Do their kids attend boarding school?
I read that only Beatrice attended a day school, unlike her cousins. Is that true?
I thought her sister was a day scholar, too?

Ish 03-19-2018 09:29 PM

Posts discussing the styles and titles of current and future members of the BRF and extended family and the downsizing of the BRF have been moved to the Monarchy under Charles thread.

This thread is for the discussion of the Education of Lady Louise and Viscount Severn. Further off topic posts will be deleted without warning.

HereditaryPrincess 04-28-2018 06:23 PM

On the St. Georgeís website in the ďdestination schoolsĒ section, it states that one pupil attended St. Maryís in Ascot out of last yearís leavers. I wonder if that was Lady Louise? Whilst it is a Catholic school, her cousin Margarita went there for a bit before attending Tudor Hall in Oxford so itís a possibility.

Countessmeout 04-28-2018 06:58 PM

Do the destination list actually reflect all of the students?? I know they are smaller classes do to private, but 26 people seems tiny for one year. And 2016 there is only 9 students 'destination schools'. Maybe they are that small.

If those really are the full listing of schools, my bet would be on St George Ascot. It was the school Beatrice attended, as did Davina and Rose.

I do wonder if perhaps in a year or two she may switch to boarding school.

HereditaryPrincess 04-28-2018 07:04 PM

Education of Lady Louise and Viscount Severn

The penultimate girl towards the end of the second row in the first photo seems to be Lady Louise to me. I did a bit of poking around on St. Maryís website as sometimes royal students are included in photos:

https://www.st-marys-ascot.co.uk/gall...=18&albumid=73

Princess Larisa 04-28-2018 07:17 PM

It does look like her in this photo.
Would this be a day school for Louise?

Iluvbertie 04-28-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosena6 (Post 2083458)
Do their kids attend boarding school?
I read that only Beatrice attended a day school, unlike her cousins. Is that true?
I thought her sister was a day scholar, too?

Beatrice went to St George's at Ascot which is a day school because they had an excellent unit for students with dyslexia with which she was diagnosed at a very young age.

Eugenie boarded at Marlborough - the same school Kate attended.

Countessmeout 04-28-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Larisa (Post 2099664)
It does look like her in this photo.
Would this be a day school for Louise?

Yes, its only about 10 minutes away from Bagshot.

HereditaryPrincess 04-28-2018 07:34 PM

Not really relevant to the BRF, but didnít Princess Caroline of Monaco also attend St. Maryís for a while? It seems to be a popular secondary choice for royals. I had expected Louise to go to Marlborough but St. Maryís seems like an evident choice when its so near to Bagshot. I have a feeling that she will stay there until she finishes school as the Wessexes have always striked me as the sort of parents who want their children to be close by (not meant negatively, by the way - and also due to Louise having struggles with esotropia [but this does seem to have improved a lot lately] they may naturally feel more protective over her) so St. Maryís feels like a good choice for them.

Countessmeout 04-28-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2099672)
Not really relevant to the BRF, but didn’t Princess Caroline of Monaco also attend St. Mary’s for a while? It seems to be a popular secondary choice for royals. I had expected Louise to go to Marlborough but St. Mary’s seems like an evident choice when its so near to Bagshot. I have a feeling that she will stay there until she finishes school as the Wessexes have always striked me as the sort of parents who want their children to be close by (not meant negatively, by the way - and also due to Louise having struggles with esotropia [but this does seem to have improved a lot lately] they may naturally feel more protective over her) so St. Mary’s feels like a good choice for them.

Yes Caroline also attended the school.

For royals boarding schools are practical. The reality is that parents aren't home every night anyways. Whether they go to boarding school or stay home, Louise and James don't have mom and dad home every night for dinner. They will have had a nanny or such just like the Cambridge kids. Their parents travel a great deal both in the UK and abroad like any senior royals do. I know they make an effort though not to travel when their kids are on school holidays.

Windsor is a great area, in that there are a number of private schools close by, both boarding and day schools. St Mary's certainly wasn't the only option. Like St George's, there are others with royal pedigree as well.

Going to boarding school and being home on weekends is likely a consideration later on.

I have said it before, with senior royals at least, I don't think we will ever see a move away from boarding schools. Just simply waiting until the kids are older then they were in the past.

Something like Marlburough is only an hour away. Easy for weekends home, or visits from her parents.

Somebody 04-28-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess (Post 2099657)
The penultimate girl towards the end of the second row in the first photo seems to be Lady Louise to me. I did a bit of poking around on St. Maryís website as sometimes royal students are included in photos:

St Mary's School Ascot - Year 9 Team-building day

Looks like you're right! Great searching.

Molly2101 04-28-2018 09:56 PM

Good find! I hadn’t expected her to attend St Mary’s as it is a Roman Catholicism school but hey ho. Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones and the fairness of the Duke of Kent went to St Mary’s.

I do wonder where James will go next.

Countessmeout 04-29-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 2099717)
Good find! I hadnít expected her to attend St Maryís as it is a Roman Catholicism school but hey ho. Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones and the fairness of the Duke of Kent went to St Maryís.

I do wonder where James will go next.

The fairness of the duke of Kent??? I assume you mean his granddaughters. Amelia and Marina did attend yes. His daughter Helen attended a different St Mary's, in Oxford (which no longer exists, it is now part of Heathfield). Lady Margarita's mother actually attended the same St Mary's as Helen did.

It will be interesting to see where James goes. Perhaps Eton.

I was surprised Louise is going to all girls school, since they started co-ed. I wonder if we will see James at an all-boys like Eton or Hampton.

Molly2101 04-29-2018 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2099741)
The fairness of the duke of Kent??? I assume you mean his granddaughters. Amelia and Marina did attend yes. His daughter Helen attended a different St Mary's, in Oxford (which no longer exists, it is now part of Heathfield). Lady Margarita's mother actually attended the same St Mary's as Helen did.

It will be interesting to see where James goes. Perhaps Eton.

I was surprised Louise is going to all girls school, since they started co-ed. I wonder if we will see James at an all-boys like Eton or Hampton.

I did mean his granddaughters! I wrote that post during my night shift when I obviously wasn’t firing on all cylinders.

I’m not surprised Louise has gone to an all girls school. Sophie attended an all girls school and Edward’s school at the time was all boys.

It will be interesting to see where James goes. There are a few co-Ed private schools in Surrey. There is an all boys near me in Guildford (about 25 minutes from Bagshot) called Royal Grammar School which may be a possibility. If it then I can see Eton being the school of choice for young James.

HereditaryPrincess 04-29-2018 03:29 PM

Louise is in Year 9 now which is the year most English students choose their GCSE options so there doesnít seem much point in sending her to a boarding school in her last two years of secondary school. Iím guessing that Margarita moved at the beginning of the year so she most likely hadnít made a final decision in regards to options yet. For sixth form, yes (even then unless she is unhappy with St. Maryís or is wanting to go into a specialist field it seems more practical to stay on) but not whilst she has just settled down at a new school and has already considered (I presume, since itís April now and when I was Louiseís age I had definitely chosen my GCSE subjects by April - there are some schools who even choose them in Year 8) her options. It would be too disruptive during what is an important couple of years for her. I see the benefits of boarding school for Louise in terms of parents on engagements but sometimes educational pragmatics has to come before tradition. This is all speculation of course; weíll see over the next couple of years :smile:

Countessmeout 04-29-2018 04:25 PM

St Mary's is a boarding school as well as day school. Students are either day boarders (they eat all their meals there but they live at home) or full boarders. It could very well be why they chose it. In time Louise may transition into a full boarding, where she is still nice and close to home. Or may continue as a day boarder, where she has a lot of independence being at school almost all days, but still at home at night.

Of the 'destination schools', if they choose an all boys school for James:

-Hampton: is a day school, about 23 minutes away from Bagshot
-Windor boy's school: about 20 minutes from home
-Eton: 21 minutes from home
-St James: 23 minutes from home

There are also a number of good co-educational schools to choose from. Windsor is certainly a good place for royals to raise kids, with many top education choices near.

Hopewell 05-16-2018 04:02 PM

correction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 2099781)
I did mean his granddaughters! I wrote that post during my night shift when I obviously wasnít firing on all cylinders.

Iím not surprised Louise has gone to an all girls school. Sophie attended an all girls school and Edwardís school at the time was all boys.

It will be interesting to see where James goes. There are a few co-Ed private schools in Surrey. There is an all boys near me in Guildford (about 25 minutes from Bagshot) called Royal Grammar School which may be a possibility. If it then I can see Eton being the school of choice for young James.

Edward went to an all-boy prep (Heatherdown--since closed) but Gordonstoun was co-ed then. Helen Windsor, Marina Ogilvy and India Hicks went there for a few years as well.

With Edward taking over the D of E patronages I wonder, if not Gordonstoun, then another school in that "network" like Wellington--where Helen Taylor's boys went. Otherwise, I would think Eton is very likely for James. I know he was at the St George's Windsor Castle but has he moved on to a prep? We hear so little about these two.

Claire 05-17-2018 02:50 PM

Hello - isnít this a Catholic school? Do we have an idea where James is currently, much speculation about St. George but nothing confirmed?

Hopewell 05-17-2018 05:05 PM

Quote:

It's been surgically corrected.

HereditaryPrincess 05-18-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire (Post 2109080)
Hello - isnít this a Catholic school? Do we have an idea where James is currently, much speculation about St. George but nothing confirmed?

Yes; St. Mary's is Catholic. As stated above it has been a popular choice for royals with Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones, Lady Marina-Charlotte and Marina Windsor, as well as Princess Caroline of Hanover.
I'm not sure where James attends. I presume he is at St. George's based on the fact that that's where Louise attended and it makes sense to send siblings to the same school; but I could be incorrect. I doubt we'll know for sure, unless we see a sighting of him in his uniform or someone else does some digging like I did with Louise's new school, we will never get information released publicly. I think it was first known Louise went to St. George's when she was seen watching the Order of the Garter parade with her school some years ago.

bertie5252003 05-19-2018 01:26 AM

I think given the current wedding we are all so obsessed about being or going to a Catholic school is nothing ....IMO

Countessmeout 05-19-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertie5252003 (Post 2110371)
I think given the current wedding we are all so obsessed about being or going to a Catholic school is nothing ....IMO

I am sorry but what does Harry's wedding have anything to do with a catholic school or not :ermm:

Many non catholics go to catholic schools. There is nothing wrong with her attending one. Its not as she is converting.

Quote:

With Edward taking over the D of E patronages I wonder, if not Gordonstoun, then another school in that "network" like Wellington--where Helen Taylor's boys went. Otherwise, I would think Eton is very likely for James. I know he was at the St George's Windsor Castle but has he moved on to a prep? We hear so little about these two.
James isn't likely to go to a prep school. St George's goes up to 13, which is the age kids start at Eton and many of the other top schools. William and Harry went to prep schools, because their earlier school ended at 8.

HereditaryPrincess 05-19-2018 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertie5252003 (Post 2110371)

I was answering a question but I don't understand why Harry's wedding is relevant here. Yes, it's garnered a lot of attention but that doesn't mean we can't stop discussing other things.

Helen.CH 12-07-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2110377)
I am sorry but what does Harry's wedding have anything to do with a catholic school or not :ermm:

Many non catholics go to catholic schools. There is nothing wrong with her attending one. Its not as she is converting.

James isn't likely to go to a prep school. St George's goes up to 13, which is the age kids start at Eton and many of the other top schools. William and Harry went to prep schools, because their earlier school ended at 8.

This is because Meghan went to a catholic school, by the way these catholic schools are very very good😉which the Royals know aswell.

HereditaryPrincess 12-19-2019 05:31 PM

Margarita Armstrong-Jones also went to St. Mary's for a little while. She now goes to Tudor Hall in Oxfordshire. I can imagine the school's location and reputation for being academically good was more of a factor than the religious aspects of the school for the Wessexes. The school was also attended by Lady Amelia Windsor and Lady Marina Charlotte Windsor so it has family connections too.

The school was also named "Public School of the Year" by The Tatler and was also no.1 on the GCSE league tables last year.
https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/s...s-school-ascot

Outside of the BRF Infanta Elena of Spain and her daughter Victoria Federica both attended the school for a while, as well as her sister Infanta Cristina and Princess Caroline of Monaco. Various children of British aristocrats are also alumni.

Harriet Avery 12-20-2019 03:30 AM

Two entries in Wikipedia under education for James, Viscount Severn have listed that he attends Eagle House School a coeducational preparatory school near Sandhurst in Berkshire.
These entries have been deleted as they don't have a valid source. The individual noted: "Just an update because I go to school with him". I believe this is the closest someone has identified his school.

There has been speculative reference by the media and fans that James attends the same prep school Louise attended, St George's School, Windsor Castle. There has been no proof of this, just makes a good story that siblings attended same school that parents have a connection due to getting married in Windsor Castle church.

The idea that James attends Eagle House School is highly plausible as near Surrey also is a feeder school for Wellington College a co-educational day and boarding independent school in the village of Crowthorne, Berkshire.

Like Louise, I don't believe James is going to be a border when he moves to secondary school. The Wessex are very close to their children and Eton College (royal family favoured school) - I don't believe will be considered as every boy is required to be a border.

Trivia: Lady Helen Taylor two sons attended Wellington College.

Molly2101 12-20-2019 03:58 AM

James did attend St George’s in Windsor with Louise as he was seen in school photos. Perhaps he left when Louise left and moved to a school nearer home (and one that will help him get into Wellington College.)

I can’t see him attending Eton to be honest. I can see Wellington being first choice if he gets into it. Although I imagine the entrance exam to Eton is more difficult than Wellington but I don’t know anything about private school entrance examinations. I definitely also can’t see James boarding at school, especially if it’s one that isn’t too far away.

Harriet Avery 12-20-2019 04:16 AM

All the pictures of St George's are of Louise incl. during Garter days. I have not seen any pictures of James. In any case it seems he is now at Eagle House School.
Wellington College & Eton College are in the same league academically & prestige - and part of the G20 Schools Group. Difference is that Eton requires full boarding and boys school. Where Wellington is a co-ed and offers both day & boarding options.

muriel 12-20-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harriet Avery (Post 2275240)
All the pictures of St George's are of Louise incl. during Garter days. I have not seen any pictures of James. In any case it seems he is now at Eagle House School.
Wellington College & Eton College are in the same league academically & prestige - and part of the G20 Schools Group. Difference is that Eton requires full boarding and boys school. Where Wellington is a co-ed and offers both day & boarding options.

In my opinion, Eton is by far a more prestigious school than Wellington, with a higher academic standard at entry.

Helen.CH 12-20-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 2275234)
James did attend St Georgeís in Windsor with Louise as he was seen in school photos. Perhaps he left when Louise left and moved to a school nearer home (and one that will help him get into Wellington College.)

I canít see him attending Eton to be honest. I can see Wellington being first choice if he gets into it. Although I imagine the entrance exam to Eton is more difficult than Wellington but I donít know anything about private school entrance examinations. I definitely also canít see James boarding at school, especially if itís one that isnít too far away.

May I ask why you think so about James? It seems as if you doubt his intelligence,but why should you?
I think the Wessex' children have maybe the best upbringing of all the Queen's grandchildren, the parents seem to care very much for them.

Lumutqueen 12-20-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen.CH (Post 2275271)
May I ask why you think so about James? It seems as if you doubt his intelligence,but why should you?

I think the Wessex' children have maybe the best upbringing of all the Queen's grandchildren, the parents seem to care very much for them.

I donít think itís got anything to do with intelligence, more Jamesí personality.

Mbruno 12-20-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 2275234)
James did attend St George’s in Windsor with Louise as he was seen in school photos. Perhaps he left when Louise left and moved to a school nearer home (and one that will help him get into Wellington College.)

I can’t see him attending Eton to be honest. I can see Wellington being first choice if he gets into it. Although I imagine the entrance exam to Eton is more difficult than Wellington but I don’t know anything about private school entrance examinations. I definitely also can’t see James boarding at school, especially if it’s one that isn’t too far away.

Sorry if I am not familiar with this discussion, but why does everybody here seem to think James will not be a boarder ? Isn't boarding the norm for boys in his social class ?

Lumutqueen 12-20-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2275277)
Sorry if I am not familiar with this discussion, but why does everybody here seem to think James will not be a boarder ? Isn't boarding the norm for boys in his social class ?

Perhaps, less so in the last couple of years. But, and this is my impression only, James would be the type of person to remain close to home and not board. His personality, or what Iíve seen of it has been quite shy and reserved, possibly introverted. Again, itís only my impression.

Harriet Avery 12-20-2019 10:19 AM

Based on Louise being at St Mary’s and being a day student not boarder. We can make same assumption that the Wessex want the same for James.
While parents & cousins might have been boarders, I don’t believe that is what Edward & Sophie want for their kids. They seem to be very close & tight knit family considering the difficulties of having kids.

Heavs 12-20-2019 11:05 AM

Eugenie boarded and Beatrice was a day girl. It doesn't have to be a blanket decision for each family. I boarded and so did one other sibling the others were day girls. It's definitely not about being a close knit family or not, we were and are still very close. Zara and Peter both boarded and both are very close to each other and their parents. Boarding was probably the only way William and Harry were ever going to get a shot at being "just one of the boys" and some stability but that's not the case for their cousins.

We know very little about either of the siblings and can't really make many assessments about their personality, especially as whenever we do see them it's when cameras are pointed at their faces

Both Eton and Wellington are very good schools and both claim to be academic whilst looking for the all round candidate. Eton is Eton for better or worse in terms of "being at school for 5 years and then spending the rest of your life as an Old Etonian" but being the Queen's grandson already overshadows all that. Let's be honest, as long as he can put up an okay showing during assessment/13+ I don't think James will have a problem getting in to wherever his parents want him to go.

As for St. Mary's I know someone who went there and religion isn't an overriding feeling at the school, even though it's present. And if you're used to high church/mid church Anglican it's not that much different in practice anyway. It's more about it's location, academic and social reputation. If they send James to Ampleforth it might be a bit different.

The role of the Wessexes might also mean boarding or the option for Flexiboarding might become necessary if they in the short term pick up some of Andrew's dropped role or supporting Charles in the early years.

Mirabel 12-22-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2275260)
In my opinion, Eton is by far a more prestigious school than Wellington, with a higher academic standard at entry.

Isn't Eton the most prestigious school in the UK?

I've always had the impression that there are only a few schools comparable to Eton: Harrow, Westminster, Rugby.

To be honest, I've never heard of Wellington and can't believe it's on the same level.

muriel 12-23-2019 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel (Post 2275806)
Isn't Eton the most prestigious school in the UK?

I've always had the impression that there are only a few schools comparable to Eton: Harrow, Westminster, Rugby.

To be honest, I've never heard of Wellington and can't believe it's on the same level.

I agree with the broad concept, some of the best known schools for boys include Eton, Winchester, Harrow, Westminster and St Paul's. Rugby is not a particularly academic school. For girls, the list would include Cheltenham, Wycombe Abbey, North London Collegiate and St Paul's Girls.

muriel 12-23-2019 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen.CH (Post 2272512)
This is because Meghan went to a catholic school, by the way these catholic schools are very very good😉which the Royals know aswell.

Not all roads lead to Meghan! :rofl:

Zonk 12-23-2019 02:43 AM

Please note that posts discussing the physical aspects of Lady Louise have been deleted as off topic, and frankly insulting.

If you wish to comment on the looks and/or grooming of a teenager (by making catty remarks behind a keyboard) do it some place else!

Heavs 12-23-2019 03:05 AM

It doesn't the name recognition of Eton or Harrow but Wellington is a prestigious, well known school with many notable old boys (and girls) etc. It's on the same level, (not just academically) as Marlborough, Radley etc. It used to have a reputation of sending more than the average boys to Sandhurst but I don't know if that's still true.

Mbruno 12-23-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 2275825)
I agree with the broad concept, some of the best known schools for boys include Eton, Winchester, Harrow, Westminster and St Paul's. Rugby is not a particularly academic school. For girls, the list would include Cheltenham, Wycombe Abbey, North London Collegiate and St Paul's Girls.

Here is the list of the top 100 independent schools in the UK by percentage of pupils achieving top A-Level grades.

That is a ranking for upper secondary schools though, which doesn’t apply in Vuscountt Severn’s case.

Duc_et_Pair 12-23-2019 06:37 AM

Whatever school the Wessexes chose for James, it is always a more privileged place than the cash-strapped municipal school with a leaking roof and mould on the walls, somewhere in a neglected suburb in Nottingham or Brixton. Discussions about Wellington, Eton or Harrow... the kids in forgotten suburbia can only dream about it.

muriel 12-23-2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2275853)
Whatever school the Wessexes chose for James, it is always a more privileged place than the cash-strapped municipal school with a leaking roof and mould on the walls, somewhere in a neglected suburb in Nottingham or Brixton. Discussions about Wellington, Eton or Harrow... the kids in forgotten suburbia can only dream about it.

Indeed. But that will always be the case if one were to compare a council estate with BP, an NHS hospital with KE VII, the slow train for Marylebone to HM's state Bentley.