The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Royal Family of Greece (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f77/)
-   -   Greek Royal Family - Photos from the past: 2004 - (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f77/greek-royal-family-photos-from-the-past-2004-a-231.html)

Julia 03-29-2003 12:20 AM

Greek Royal Family - Photos from the past: 2004 -

2 Attachment(s)
They were/are such an attractive and lovely couple!
Queen Anne-Marie in her laurel wreath tiara....

Mandy 03-29-2003 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Julia,

Yes, they do look lovely. :) Here they are at the pre-wedding ball at the royal palace in Athens on September 16, 1964. :)

Corbis picture.

thissal 03-30-2003 12:52 PM

What a gorgeous looking couple! No wonder their children look like they do.

For some reason, I thought the royal family went into exile from Greece after WWII but here they were still in Athens at least in 1964. At first glance it seems such a shame. Does anyone know where I could find the story behind their being forced into exile? What happened?

Mandy 03-30-2003 10:58 PM

Hi Thissal,

Here is a short version of events. A military junta of his colonels took power in April 1967. So Constantine and his family fled to Rome in December of the same year. He was formally deposed in June 1973 and a national referendum in 1974 formally abolished the monarchy. :(
As for reference matter, maybe someone could suggest a book title.

samitude 03-31-2003 09:42 AM

Aren't they a perfect royal couple? They seemed so much in love back then and still today. Their children all seem to have turned out very well.

Jacqueline 03-31-2003 08:50 PM

Thissal, here are a few websites with summaries of what led to the exile of the GRF. There are also a few other links to websites that may interest you. :)

The Greek Royal Family-Official Site

Christine's Royalty-History of the Greek Royal Family

The Kings of the Hellenes-Site by Robert Warholm

Time Europe-Throneless Abroad

The Military Junta in Greece

The Junta 1967-1974

Greece Now-Royal Wrangle

thissal 04-01-2003 10:23 AM

Thanks so much Jacqueline. I'll have a feast looking at them. I read somewhere, maybe here, that when they married, Greece had a reputation for treating their royal family like a yo-yo, so maybe they'll be back. Who knows, maybe the crown princess's father will buy back the throne for his daughter. B)

Jacqueline 04-03-2003 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thissal@Apr 1st, 2003 - 3:23 pm
Who knows, maybe the crown princess's father will buy back the throne for his daughter. B)
You're welcome Thissal. :)

You know, I think that if Robert Miller could or if he were given the opportunity, he certainly would give it a try. :lol: :lol: ;) The gentleman loves acquisitions of any type. ;)

thissal 04-03-2003 11:23 AM

From what little reading I did, the reasons for the royals being kicked out of their country are not all that clear. One problem seems to be that Queen Frederika and Constantine I had ties/family in Germany, which was the main problem in itself, outside of anything they might have done. But the British royal family is thought to be more German than British, and other than occasional snide remarks, it hasn't created an insurmountable problem. The British also changed their name too though to blur the connection.

Other than that, what I saw as a bigger problem was that, with one exception, none of the royal family has ever had any Greek blood. Now one would think that after 100+ years, there would have been some mixing with the locals? I know other monarchies have started with foreign rulers, but have they remained that way successfully?

As for Queen Frederika being too involved in politics, I ran across an interesting letter she had sent to---UN/CIA? specifically asking them to mind their own business and stay out of Greek decisions. It is also accepted that the junta had the US financial support and CIA backing. Now we know, anyone who tells the US to stay out of their affairs is in for big trouble. :unsure:

samitude 04-03-2003 07:34 PM

Here are a couple of pictures from Polfoto of the engagement of Princess Anne-Marie and King Constantine. These were taken at the Denmark presentation.

Danish Presentation 1

Danish Presentation 2

The Greek Presentation from Rex Features and Polfoto.

Greek Presentation 1

Greek Presentation 2

Josefine 05-06-2003 03:44 PM

Pictures Of Queen Anne Marie

4 Attachment(s)
picture from https://alloverpress.dk

Alexandra 05-16-2003 04:32 PM

Queen Anne-marie as child

1 Attachment(s)
;) Here are a few pics, I found of Anne-Marie and her sisters and cousins

https://pro.corbis.com/search/searchFrame.asp

Alexandra 05-16-2003 04:38 PM

10 Attachment(s)
I´ll try again...

A few more pictures of Queen Anne-Marie as child. if you find more pics of her, I'd like to see them, too. Anne-Marie is my favourite royal.

www.polfoto.dk

www.polfoto.dk

www.polfoto.dk

www.polfoto.dk

www.polfoto.dk

Alexandra 05-16-2003 04:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Fireweaver 05-25-2003 07:55 PM

Is that Sophia/Sophie and Irene with him in the second picture?
The pics are so cute!

Alexandra 05-26-2003 04:22 PM

Oh, yes, they are Sophia and Irene :lol:

Alexandra 06-06-2003 02:12 PM

10 Attachment(s)
www.polfoto.dk 1952 Dronning Ingrid og prinsesserne Margrethe Benedikte og Anne Marie modtager.

www.polfoto.dk

Again with grandfather, mother and sisters

www.polfoto.dk

Skiing with sisters

www.polfoto.dk
Confirmations day

www.corbis.com
1963 with her sisters

www.corbis.com

Practising for future...

www.corbis.com

www.polfoto.dk

www.polfoto.dk

www.polfoto.dk

Queen Ingrid's birthday

Alexandria 06-06-2003 02:23 PM

Great pictures, Alexandra! :flower: Queen Anne-Marie was an adorable little girl. I espescially loved the one with her peering into the water and some has grapped the back of her dress to keep her from falling in! She must have been a very curious child. And after looking at all these pictures, it makes me think that Anne-Marie was probably the curious, eager, high-spirited child of Queen Ingrid's daughters.

Alexandra 06-06-2003 02:47 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Just a few more pictures of king Konstantin, too.

About 1946

www.corbis.com just as the picture above

Konstantin with sisters and mother

www.corbis.com

www.corbis.com

Konstantin and Sophia riding horses

www.corbis.com

About 1954
With a donkey

www.corbis.com

About 1954

With a lamm, I think...

www.corbis.com

The young crown prince dancing

www.corbis.com

Konstantin as Olympia winner. This is a picture I have been searching long for. www.polfoto.dk

www.corbis.com

Coming fron the church. A memorial service for J.F. Kennedy.

www.corbis.com

A young king

www.corbis.com

www.corbis.com

Alexandra 06-06-2003 05:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
www.polfoto.dk

www.polfoto.dk

www.polfoto.dk

Jalmey 06-21-2003 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.corbis.com

King Constantine with His Family
Original caption: Rome.King Constantine of Greece and his Danish born wife, Queen Anne Marie, present their newly born son Prince Nicholas to the press in the garden of the couple's Rome villa October 8th. With them is their three year old daughter Princess Alexia. Their other son, Prince Paul, 2, is not shown. The baby is eight days old. Constantine and family are living in voluntary exile in Italy.

Jalmey 06-21-2003 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.corbis.com

King Constantine and Fiance Anne-Marie of Denmark

They were such a lovely couple!

Jalmey 06-21-2003 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.corbis.com

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie with Baby
Original caption: Corfu, Greece....King Constantine of Greece and Queen Anne-Marie look at their baby girl July 14. The girl, born July 10, weighed nine pounds, nine ounces at birth and is the couple's first child.

Jalmey 06-21-2003 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.corbis.com

Greek King And Queen Arrive At Airport
Original caption: 12/14/1967-Rome, Italy- Greece's King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie arrive at airport here early Dec. 14. Constantine, his family and Premiere Constantine Kollias arrived on a military aircraft from Greece. Late Dec. 13th, Athens radio announced that the King's counter coup had been crushed.

Jalmey 06-21-2003 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.corbis.com

King and Cabinet
Original caption: King Constantine of Greece, © poses with new government officials on April 26th at the Athens Royal Palace here. From left (front row) are minister without Portfolio, Col. Georgios Panadopoulos; Premier Constantine Kallias; King Constantine; Deputy Premier, Lt. General Gregery Spandidakis; and Agriculture Minister, Georges Mathaiou. In military dress directly behind the King are from left; Interior Minister, Major General Patakos Triyanos; and Minister of Coordination, Col. Nicolaus Makaerzos. The new regime, which won the support of the King on April 26th, promised to restore Democracy to Greece and charged the son of former Premier George Papandreou, Andreas Papandreou, with high treason.

Jalmey 06-21-2003 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.corbis.com

Constantine II of Greece with Queen Anne-Marie
King Constantine II of Greece visits the Acropolis with his wife, Queen Anne-Marie.

Jalmey 06-21-2003 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.corbis.com

Princess Alexia of Greece with Her Proud Parents
King Constantine II of Greece looks on as his wife, Queen Anne-Marie, cradles their young daughter Alexia after her christening ceremony at the Royal Palace's church.

Jalmey 06-21-2003 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
King Constantine Of Greece With His Fiancee Princess Anne-Marie Of Denmark.

Jalmey 06-21-2003 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Corbis

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie with Child
Original caption: Athens, Greece....King Constantine bends down to assist his wife, the lovely Queen Anne-Marie who is holding the couple's first child, Crown Princess Alexia, at the September 20th christening ceremonies, held at the Royal Palace in Athens.

Jalmey 06-21-2003 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Corbis

King Constantine with Family
Original caption: Athens, Greece: King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie of Greece with their baby, Princess Alexia.

thissal 06-21-2003 02:08 PM

Thanks for the great pictures Jalmey. Were any of the pictures taken at the Mon Repos In Corfu?

Jalmey 06-21-2003 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by thissal@Jun 21st, 2003 - 1:08 pm
Thanks for the great pictures Jalmey.  Were any of the pictures taken at the Mon Repos In Corfu?
You're welcome Thissal. :) I don't know if any specific photos were taken at Mon Repos, but according to this exert of an article I found (link below :)), Princess Alexia was born there. So perhaps some of the pictures of the King and Queen with the daughter was in fact at Mon Repos.

"King Constantine came to the throne with much goodwill, which was expressed in abundance when, on 18 September 1964 (six months after his accession) he married his beautiful Danish Princess in what was described at the time, as 'the most radiant of Athenian royal weddings'. Even an old republican, the 76 year old Prime Minister, George Papandreou, was seen to be enjoying himself thoroughly with the bride and bridegroom.

Just before the wedding, a crisis in Cyprus brought Greece to the brink of war with Turkey and serious political problems developed in Greece.

These overshadowed the celebrations of the birth of Queen Anne-Marie's first child, Princess Alexia, on 10 July 1965. She was the first member of the Royal Family to be born at 'Mon Repos' in Corfu since 1921, when Prince Philip of Greece, now Duke of Edinburgh. 'Mon Repos' is an old Georgian house which, in the 18th. Century, was the summer residence of the English Governor of Corfu. "

Link

vasilofron 06-22-2003 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
KING CONSTANTINE AND QUEEN ANNA MARIA 1964

Jalmey 06-23-2003 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie
King Constantine, born in 1940 was king of Greece 1964-1973. He married Princess Anne-Marie, youngest daughter of Frederik IX of Denmark. In April 1967 the 'Colonels' military junta took power and the king fled to Rome in December. He was formally deposed in June 1973 and the monarchy was abolished by national referendum in 1974.

© David Lees/CORBIS

vasilofron 06-25-2003 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
H.M. KING CONSTANTINE & H.M. QUEEN ANNA MARIA

samitude 06-25-2003 11:37 AM

That is an absolutely beautiful photo! Thank you Vasilofron for posting it!

Alexandria 07-12-2003 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
28-11-2002 (Arkiv) En årelang retssag om ekskong Konstantin og eksdronning Anne-Maries tidligere besiddelser i Grækenland er slut. Den Europæiske Menneskerettighedsdomstol i Strasbourg dømte torsdag d. 28. november den græske stat til at betale det tidligere kongepar og deres nærmeste familie cirka 100 millioner kroner i godtgørelse. Selv vurderer Konstantin på sin hjemmeside ejendommene til at have en samlet værdi af 3,58 milliarder kroner. Arkivfoto: Optagelsesdato usikker. Kong Konstantin og dronning Anne-Marie ved Kong Konstantins sommerresidens "Mon Repos" på Korfu.

Alexandria 07-12-2003 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
01.07.1974 1974: The exiled King Constantine of Greece and his wife, Queen Anne-Marie, stand in front of their Victorian home in Chobham, Surrey, England, where a Mini estate car is also waiting.

Alexandria 07-12-2003 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Polfoto 01-01-1965 Menneskerettighedsdomstolen i Strasbourg gav torsdag den tidligere græske konge medhold i, at han har ret til sin ejendom i Grækenland. Med 15 mod 2 dommerstemmer anklagede retten den græske stat for brud på menneskerettighederne ved med den græske højesteretsbeslutning at have konfiskeret den tidligere konges ejendom. Den omfatter residensen Tatoi nord for Athen, et land- og skovområde "Polydendron" i Midtgrækenland og palæet "Mon Repos" på Korfu. Retten vil senere tage stilling til ekskongens krav om erstatning på omkring 1,4 milliarder dollars. Ekskong Konstantin og hans danskfødte dronning Anne-Marie har levet i eksil i London siden 1967. Arkivfoto: Optagelsesdato usikker. Kong Konstantin og dronning Anne-Marie ved Kong Konstantins sommerresidens "Mon Repos" på Korfu.

Jalmey 07-12-2003 03:00 PM

Beautiful pictures Alexandria! Thanks for posting them. :flower:

Its was interesting to see the lovely pictures at Mon Repos!

pilch 08-12-2003 12:09 PM

It's hard to believe that the Greek people could have thrown out such a charming,attractive Royal Family.
I know the issues were more than just about appearances,but surely these things could have been resolved without such drastic actions.

Tina 08-12-2003 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra@Jun 6th, 2003 - 8:58 pm
www.corbis.com

Konstantin as Olympia winner. This is a picture I have been searching long for.

I didn't that he was there, for what did he get the medal?

Anja78 08-12-2003 12:26 PM

He had won a sailing competition there.

cuervo 08-28-2003 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anja78@Aug 12th, 2003 - 11:26 am
He had won a sailing competition there.
He won the Olympic golden medal of the Olympics in Rome!!The first Golden Olympic medal that Greek state ever won!!!!

Alexandria 08-30-2003 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy birthday to the Queen!

Here is one of my favourite pictures of her -- with her forever smile.

Bianca 09-01-2003 04:36 AM

What beautiful photos. King Connie was an adorable kid! :heart:

George 09-20-2003 07:57 PM

I have a photo of a beautiful touching time when Queen Anne Marie is wearing
a Greek costume and holding the hand of Alexia-in Greece-she looks so
stunning and it is so lovely! A rare photo indeed. How do I upload it here from
CD-R at the size of 6x6 and not larger? simple steps please in instructions so
I can share.

She looks so fabulous in this, not in the usual European style of dress-this is
really a rare moment and it is one of my favorites!

Good help wanted.
Thanks,
George

vasilofron 10-05-2003 11:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The Queen Of Greece At Her 18th Birthday

The Queen At Her 18th Birthday

Alexandria 10-05-2003 11:18 AM

The last picture stunning vasilofron. Such regal grandeur! Thank you for sharing it.

Alexandria 10-05-2003 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, but I found this photocopied picture from a book I found years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the book, there were many great pictures of Europe's royal families in it.

In this picture, a young Queen Anne Marie, then still Princess Anne Marie of Denmark, on the grounds of the Danish palace.

Anne Marie looks very graceful here, I think. Such poise from a young woman.

Alexandra 10-18-2003 05:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A few more pics of Konstain as child.
Christening, 1940

Christening of Prince Konstantin 1940

Year 1947
Cute children!

Polfoto
Prince Konstantin with his father, King Pavlos
About 1952

He bacame Crown Prince when his grandfather died 1946, I think. Here he is his first official "work" as crown prince in her grandpapa's funeral.

Sean.~ 01-22-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 5th, 2003 - 6:40 pm
Sorry for the poor quality of the scan, but I found this photocopied picture from a book I found years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the book, there were many great pictures of Europe's royal families in it.

A Royal Album by (Earl) Patrick Lichfield c. 1982.

Sean.~

Sean.~ 01-27-2004 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria+Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:50 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:50 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sean.~@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 4:08 pm
A Royal Album by (Earl) Patrick Lichfield c. 1982.

Sean.~

Ah&#33; Thank you for the the proper name of the book. It was a great book. [/b][/quote]
There was also another book published around the same time (late 70s) titled Royal Families of the World by Reginald Davis. It has some excellent, excellent pictures from Persopolis and the wedding of Princess Christina of Sweden. Have you seen it? I was able to get my hands on a copy from a used bookstore.

Gabriella 01-27-2004 04:29 PM

I have a question, and maybe Sean or someone else knows the answer. Were King Frederik and Queen Ingrid happy about the marriage between Anne Marie and Constantine? I can understand if they liked her choice in a husband and all, and I don&#39;t know if they did, considering that it was basically a step up the ladder and all, but were they happy about when she got married? She was so young and all....

Sean.~ 01-27-2004 05:38 PM

I can't say for certainty, but allegedly there was some concern because of Anne-Marie's young age, how it would be perceived in Denmark, etc. Also, Greece and it's monarchy were not the most stable in Europe, so this too was a fear (one that materialized), as it would be with any parent who would be sending their child to a foreign country.

And Constantine wasn't a step-up. The Dansih RF was more popular, more secure, and more well off. The former's family was, after all, a cadet branch of the latter.

Alexandria 01-27-2004 05:52 PM

I&#39;ve heard some things similar to what Sean is saying, that neither King Frederik or Queen Anne Marie had particular concern about their future son in law (little did they know about his cheating ways&#33;) but that they were very concerned because of Queen Anne Marie&#39;s age. Not just that she was 17 or 18, but that she might also set a precedence in Denmark at the time for individuals getting married so young.

I think this was a recent discussion on the Scandinavian Royals board, too, and someone posted that Queen Frederika was very keen on her only son marrying another royal, but that in fact she had &#39;earmarked&#39; Princess Benedikte of Denmark as the suitable princess. Little did she know that her son would be smitten with Benedikte&#39;s younger sister instead&#33;

Gabriella 01-27-2004 05:52 PM

Thanks, Sean. Basically what I meant by the step up the ladder comment was that she was marrying a King and would become a Queen. It&#39;s a step up from marrying a prince and staying a princess.

Fireweaver 01-27-2004 06:46 PM

I believe there&#39;s only 3 people in line to the throne. The Grand duchess Maria, her son, and perhaps an unmarried uncle. Then, the legit heirs die out. The Greeks aren&#39;t entitled to the Russian throne.

Sean.~ 01-27-2004 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Jan 27th, 2004 - 6:46 pm
I believe there&#39;s only 3 people in line to the throne. The Grand duchess Maria, her son, and perhaps an unmarried uncle. Then, the legit heirs die out. The Greeks aren&#39;t entitled to the Russian throne.
There is no uncle. It&#39;s just Maria and her son. Queen Olga&#39;s line has no rights, because they don&#39;t meet the criteria. If it ever came down to it (which it won&#39;t) One could argue that Constantine kind of meets the criteria, but the head of one house can not assume the headship of another. He&#39;s either Greek or Russian. Not both.

None of Olga Constantinova&#39;s descendants, with the exception of the descendants of her daughters Alexandra Georgievna (wife of Grand Duke Pavel Alexandrovich) and Marie Georgievna, have any legitimate claim to any property in Russia. Russian Grand Duchesses received a settlement at the time of marriage. Their children gained their inheritances through their father and whatever was willed to them from other relatives. Since Olga&#39;s parents died before the revolution, one can assume that they all received their inheritances. Any legitimate claim of property belonging to the Constantinovichi would go to the descendants of Queen Olga&#39;s brothers, particularly Constantine Constantinovich, who had contracted an equal marriage. In any event, there isn&#39;t any any claim for compensation (and I doubt there ever will be), and the Russians aren&#39;t about to pay anything so it is a moot topic.

Regards,

S.

Sean.~ 01-29-2004 01:06 PM

George aka Georgios aka William never converted to Orthodoxy. Rather, he remained a lifelong member of the Lutheran Church. One can respect the traditions of another fath/denomination, attend services, etc. without converting. He did this because he did not want to offend his new subjects. Obviously he could not convert for personal reasons and refused to just go through the motions of conversion. I think this was very big of him.

As far as meeting the metropolitan is concerned, Greece was/is a religious country and the metropolitan was an important figure in society. Thus it was a part of George I's kingly duties to meet with him. The rest of the family was Orthodox.

Anyway, all of this is well documented in various royal and historical works. If you still maintain that he did convert, why not provide us with the documentated date and details of conversion and other details such as baptismal certificate?

laskaris 01-31-2004 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:flower:

Bubbette 05-11-2004 11:40 PM

She looks beautiful here--and where did she get that jewelry&#33; https://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50825846...34D805F2F23E263

Sean.~ 05-12-2004 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bubbette@May 11th, 2004 - 10:40 pm
She looks beautiful here--and where did she get that jewelry&#33; https://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50825846...34D805F2F23E263
They&#39;ve been in the GRF (different branches) for well over a century. They&#39;re originally of Russian provenance, and were brought to Greece by Olga Constantinova of Russia (daughter of Grand Duke Constanine Nichaelovich and Alexandra Josefovna nee of Saxe-Altenburg) upon her marriage to George I of the Hellenes.

The jewels were inherited by their son, Prince Nichalos of Greece (grandfather of the persent Duke of Kent), and stayed with that branch of the family until Paul I (Anne Marie&#39;s father-in-law) bought the jewels for his wife Frederika.

Jackswife 05-12-2004 09:43 AM

She does look beautiful, very young for her age. :lol: Whatever has or has not gone on in Constantine and Anne-Marie&#39;s marriage does not affect my admiration for them both, nor for their children. AM was only 18 when she married him, and I&#39;m sure as with any royal couple there were adjustments and compromises to be made. The abdication was a pretty traumatic event and I&#39;m sure Constantine was in a very vulnerable emotional state afterwards. Not excusing infidelity on his part (if indeed there was that). Still, Anne-Marie seems to have accepted the situation with equanimity and moved on, just as the King himself has. They&#39;ve managed to stay together for nearly 40 years and that is an accomplishment.

rere 09-18-2004 08:26 AM

40th Anniversary

4 Attachment(s)
Constantine and Anne-Marie married in Athens on 18 September 1964.

The couple talks about proposal and asking permission to get married.

https://www.dr.dk/aroyalfamily/person_konstantin.htm

https://www.dr.dk/aroyalfamily/person_annemarie.html

Alexandra 09-18-2004 11:54 AM

The Internet adresses from rere in the message above this one, are to videos from the very good tv-series The Decendants of King Christian IX.

Many congratulations to Anne-Marie and Konstantin!
How clear I remember their wedding day, although it was a very sad day for me. We did not have a television set at that time, but I was allowed to go to a neighbour to see the ceremony in their tv. Think just my despair and grief and sorrow, when going there, they said to me, they won't let me in, because they have better guests! I was just a kid not ten years old, and they perhaps thought, it was not so important for a mere brat to see the wedding. But for me it was very important, I had been interested for Royals for a long time already then. And the Greek Royals my favourite royals, too! So I cried and cried and cried the whole day long. Even nowadays I feel so sorry not having seen the wedding ceremony of my favourite royals.

USCtrojan 09-20-2004 11:44 PM

40 years. That's fantastic. Congrats to thier majesties.

Josefine 12-08-2004 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1974 in London

Josefine 12-08-2004 09:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
is she a princess of denmark here?

here are a few more

ETA copyright source www.seegerpress.de /Mandy

ravergirl 12-08-2004 01:25 PM

Just a question. How old was Anne-Marie when they got married? She looks really young, and I thought I heard somewhere that she was 18 or 19 when the wed. Is that true or was she older?

Isabel 12-09-2004 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravergirl
Just a question. How old was Anne-Marie when they got married? She looks really young, and I thought I heard somewhere that she was 18 or 19 when the wed. Is that true or was she older?

I think that you're right. I believe that she was 18 o r 19.

Gabriella 12-09-2004 02:14 PM

She had just turned 18 when they got married. I'll have to check back to make sure of this, but I believe they wanted to get married even earlier, but King Frederik would not allow Anne Marie to marry until she turned 18. There is a video floating around in English in which King Constantine explains his first meeting with King Frederik when he asked for Anne Marie's hand in marriage.

samitude 12-09-2004 03:13 PM

Anne-Marie turned 18 on August 30, 1964 and got married on September 18, 1964. So, yes she did just turn 18 when she got married. I think she was 16 when they got engaged, but it wasn't announced until later.

Jackswife 12-10-2004 10:26 AM

Hard to imagine she was so young (and KC was as well-think at the time of the wedding he was the world's youngest reigning monarch:confused: ??) They make a beautiful couple, both then and now.

pdas1201 12-12-2004 01:53 AM

5 Attachment(s)
King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie
(sorry don't know the years)

pdas1201 12-12-2004 02:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Constantine and Anne Marie (May 11, 1964)

pdas1201 12-12-2004 02:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anne Marie and Constantine (September 18, 1964)

Lyonnaise 12-15-2004 12:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)
With her grandchildren!!

Queen Anne -Marie with Prince Pavlos and Princess Marie-Chantel of Greece with their children Maria-Olympia, Constantine Alexios and Achileas Andreas attend the "Mary Poppins" Gala Preview ahead of tomorrow's press night at the Prince Edward Theatre on December 14, 2004 in London.

ETA copyright source www.gettyimages.com /Mandy

Lyonnaise 12-15-2004 02:36 PM

9 Attachment(s)
some random 'early' photos

HMQueenElizabethII 01-13-2005 12:13 AM

7 Attachment(s)
King Constantine and Quen Anne Marie:

HMQueenElizabethII 01-16-2005 11:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more photos:

Josefine 01-17-2005 10:30 AM

the last photos can´t be from early days its must be from only a few years back

Reina 01-17-2005 02:05 PM

Q A-M was so pretty when she was younger (she still is though). Can someone tell me why she was on the cover of Time in the 60's?

cuervo 01-17-2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
Q A-M was so pretty when she was younger (she still is though). Can someone tell me why she was on the cover of Time in the 60's?

For two reasons:

a. TIME magazine's editors always had a fine taste!!!

b. TIME magazine wanted to increase sales in Greece,Denmark,New York,and Melbourne and it oversucceed it!!!;)

Dennism 02-02-2005 02:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Queen and Alexia from IBL

Josefine 02-06-2005 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what a sweet photo

she was then princess of denmark

Splodger 02-06-2005 04:39 PM

I am not one to usualy get 'fluffy' over photographs but that photograph of Anne-Marie that Josephine posted really is a lovely picture. Anne-Marie was such a stunning and atractive woman (not that she isn't now) in the 1960s and 70s. She is by far the prettiest of the three sisters.

Was Anne-Marie considered a "fashion icon" in the 1960s. She was always dressed in fashionable clothes and styles. Did people in Denmark and Greece follow her dress style in the same way that people followed Princess Diana etc?

HMQueenElizabethII 03-17-2005 12:56 AM

10 Attachment(s)
At her daughter Alexia's Wedding:

Wedding of Felipe of spain in MAy 2004:

Another two more at Wedding of Felipe:

In Denmark May 2004:

Memorial service for Princess Margaret of England April 2002:

Wedding of Haakon in 2001:

Chelsea Flower show 2000:

ETA copyright source www.gettyimages.com /Mandy

pdas1201 07-11-2005 06:45 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Rex Features--Part One

pdas1201 07-11-2005 06:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Rex Features Part Two

Jackswife 07-11-2005 07:14 PM

Definitely an extremely attractive couple, both then and now.;) As for the royal family not being Greek, it seems choosing a local spouse is the exception rather than the rule for monarchies. Felipe bucked the trend by choosing a Spanish bride, and all four of Queen Elizabeth's children chose to marry English spouses. But these two examples (and if I'm overlooking any others it's not intentional by any means) seem rare when one looks at recent royal matrimonies:
Danish Frederik marries Australian Mary
Dutch Willem-Alexander marries Argentinian Maxima
Swedish Carl Gustav marries German/Brazilian Silvia

Not to hijack the C&A-M thread but I think that marriages between royals and "homegrown" persons don't seem to happen very often, for whatever reasons.:o

Alexandria 07-11-2005 08:44 PM

Thanks so much for the retrospective of the Greek royal family Pdas1201! :) Alexia was an adorable little girl!

samitude 07-11-2005 09:16 PM

Thank you for these pictures! I have never seen any pictures from Nikolaos's presentation.

Reina 07-11-2005 10:14 PM

I have to confess it would have been nice if they were not ousted. This would be a fun Royal family to watch.

juliamontague 07-12-2005 11:03 AM

was the second one from Nikolaos's christening???
I have never seen baby photos of him before.
thanks for posting them.

pdas1201 07-15-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliamontague
was the second one from Nikolaos's christening???

Yes, the second pic is from the christening of Prince Nikolaos.

rchainho 08-17-2005 11:38 AM

here some pics from ITN of Princess Anne-marie in greece: https://www.itnstills.com/still.php?s...1aacf1052c6fec

Josefine 10-08-2005 04:10 AM

6 Attachment(s)
these are photos from getty

Jackswife 10-08-2005 09:12 AM

A very attractive royal couple both then and now. I agree that it would have been interesting had Constantine kept the throne and the family had continued to reign, to see how the family developed along with the other royal families. These are great pictures.

rikard 02-15-2006 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josefine
these are photos from getty

The Getty picture of Anne-Marie playing with a blonde haired boy - is that her nephew Prince Joachim of Denmark?