The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Denmark (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   Titled Danish Gentry and Nobles (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/titled-danish-gentry-and-nobles-22468.html)

nwinther 11-24-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Sosnowitz (Post 1340463)
Hello,

The Danish monarch can confer any title to non-member of the Royal Family?

KR,

LS:cool:

Not sure, but I don't think so.

Would be cool, though.

dbarn67 07-24-2012 10:30 PM

I have a general question about Denmark. Is there a titled nobility/aristocracy in Denmark? In England, Belgium, Germany and in Spain, there are Sir/Ladies to Dukes (Dons in Spain) but I don't know whether such thing exists in other monarchies.

Not sure this the proper thread for this question mods.

Muhler 07-25-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarn67 (Post 1444692)
I have a general question about Denmark. Is there a titled nobility/aristocracy in Denmark? In England, Belgium, Germany and in Spain, there are Sir/Ladies to Dukes (Dons in Spain) but I don't know whether such thing exists in other monarchies.

Not sure this the proper thread for this question mods.

There is a titled aristocracy here in DK, but they rarely use their titles as there are no privileges connected to being a noble.
The Monarch is the only one who can ennoble anyone but that is extremely rare. Alexandra is an example and that title is personal and cannot be inherited.

The aristocratic titles in use here in DK are: baron and count (greve). There are no earls or dukes, nor prinzen or fŁrsten as in the German sense.

The title of say Knight of the Order of Dannebrog, is just that, an honorary title. There is nothing equivalent to Sir, OBE or MBE in connection with your name here.
It may be mentioned in your biography, obituary or in the magazines that you have a particular order or because you wear your Knights Cross or whatever at special occasions. Apart from that there is nothing to distinguish you from everybody else.

dbarn67 07-25-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1444725)
There is a titled aristocracy here in DK, but they rarely use their titles as there are no privileges connected to being a noble.
The Monarch is the only one who can ennoble anyone but that is extremely rare. Alexandra is an example and that title is personal and cannot be inherited.

The aristocratic titles in use here in DK are: baron and count (greve). There are no earls or dukes, nor prinzen or fŁrsten as in the German sense.

The title of say Knight of the Order of Dannebrog, is just that, an honorary title. There is nothing equivalent to Sir, OBE or MBE in connection with your name here.
It may be mentioned in your biography, obituary or in the magazines that you have a particular order or because you wear your Knights Cross or whatever at special occasions. Apart from that there is nothing to distinguish you from everybody else.

Thanks Muhler, I knew you'd have the answer:flowers:

Somebody 08-06-2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR76 (Post 2244782)
A Danish komtesse (daughter of a count) looses her title upon marriage and after that she carries the title of her husband. If he doesn't have one then neither does she. If a female member of the nobility marries a commoner she looses her status as a noble and won't get it back after a divorce.
The three Rosenborg sisters got the Queen's permission to keep their names when they married, but not their titles. In spite of this they still go by their birth title in the tabloids (where some of them are frequently mentioned) and other media.

So, what about Alexandra; did she loose her title as princess of S-W-B when she married count Jefferson or did she loose it now she married the Danish count Michael? Or is she considered royal and do these rules (female member of nobility looses her own titles/status and confirms to her husband's) only apply to nobles? Or does it not apply because it's not a Danish title even though she is a Danish citizen (I assume).

Mbruno 08-06-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody (Post 2244788)
So, what about Alexandra; did she loose her title as princess of S-W-B when she married count Jefferson or did she loose it now she married the Danish count Michael? Or is she considered royal and do these rules (female member of nobility looses her own titles/status and confirms to her husband's) only apply to nobles? Or this it not apply because it's not a Danish title even though she is a Danish citizen (I assume).

Her title is German , so I am not sure Danish rules are relevant in this case.

It should be noted also that Alexandra is not a princess of Denmark as she ( controversially) is not in the line of succession to the Danish throne.

Mbruno 03-19-2021 04:05 PM

The wife of a Danish count ( “greve”) is called “ grevinde” whereas the unmarried daughter of a Danish count is called “ komtesse”.

What are the Danish words for the wife and the unmarried daughter of a Danish baron ( “ friherre”) ?

Thanks.

Muhler 03-19-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 2382933)
The wife of a Danish count ( “greve”) is called “ grevinde” whereas the unmarried daughter of a Danish count is called “ komtesse”.

What are the Danish words for the wife and the unmarried daughter of a Danish baron ( “ friherre”) ?

Thanks.

Baronesse or friherreinde. It also applies to both a wife and daughters.
To distinguish you use Mrs. Baronesse or Miss Baronesse.

- That is in accordance to a tradition that existed basically into my childhood, where a wife was often known and addressed by the title of her husband.
Example: a director (manager) would in Danish often be addressed as Fru DirektÝr Olsen. = Mrs. Director Olsen. If she was a director in her own right, she would be DirektÝrinde, using the now archaic female addition "inde" (or "esse") = directress.
Or a the wife of a master carpenter: Fru tÝmrermester Olsen = Mrs. Master Carpenter Olsen.
It even went down to workman (unskilled): Fru Arbejdsmand Olsen = Mrs. Workman Olsen.
It wasn't just snobbery but had a practical application as well. As late as around 1990, wives were filed under their husband's name and social security number in the municipalities. Her papers were even placed in her husband's folder.

Try check how the rules are in Germany, the Danish titles regarding counts and barons follow the German tradition.