The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Royals & Musical Instruments (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/royals-and-musical-instruments-19802.html)

Shikha Pal 01-29-2009 06:59 AM

Royals & Musical Instruments

I am keen to know that which Royals plays a musical Instrument.

I know that these Royals can play music.

Princess Beatrice of York plays the Piano.
Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg plays the Violin.
Prince Felix of Luxembourg plays the Cello.
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa plays the Guitar.

I will post Pictures of them with the Instruments soon.

Happy Posting
Shikha Pal

Maura724 01-29-2009 09:27 AM

Prince Henrik of Denmark - piano

Princess Irene of Greece - piano

emmalisa 01-29-2009 09:40 AM

Crown Prince Naruhito plays the viola.

ChantalC 01-29-2009 01:05 PM

Princess Caroline of Monaco-piano and flute

Princess Grace of Monaco-guitar

RhapsodyBrat 01-30-2009 09:42 AM

King Bhumibol of Thailand is an accomplished jazz musician and plays the saxophone.

RoyalProtocol 02-02-2009 10:22 AM

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother played the piano

lazuli 02-02-2009 04:54 PM

Andrea Casiraghi - Violin ( at least when he was a child )

EmpressRouge 02-02-2009 05:07 PM

Prince Charles plays the cello and is known to be the musically gifted on in his family.

Maura724 02-02-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol (Post 887696)
Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother played the piano

I think QEII and Princess Margaret might play it as well, but I'm not sure.

RoyalProtocol 02-02-2009 05:23 PM

:rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maura724 (Post 887864)
I think QEII and Princess Margaret might play it as well, but I'm not sure.

I know Margaret did play the piano and even in public

RADKER18 02-02-2009 05:32 PM

Princess Stephanie Of Monaco can play the Drums

elizlovescrisro 02-02-2009 06:07 PM

I heard Charlotte Casiraghi plays the piano, but I don't know if that's true.

And Pierre plays the saxophone.

PrincessofEurope 02-02-2009 06:13 PM

Princess Diana i think could play the piano - did she not play once during an engagement in hungary (?)

Duke of Marmalade 02-03-2009 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat (Post 886461)
King Bhumibol of Thailand is an accomplished jazz musician and plays the saxophone.

Exactly. He is an accomplished jazz musician & composer with his own band and used to play with the Greats of Jazz, such as Goodman or Hampton. It's more than a hobby so many people call him the "Jazz King"
https://www.hasekamp.net/music1.jpg

emmalisa 02-03-2009 05:18 AM

According to the article Princess Mathilde plays the piano.
An in-depth look at your favourite celebrity personalities - hellomagazine.com, HELLO!

Enigma 02-03-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 887980)
Exactly. He is an accomplished jazz musician & composer with his own band and used to play with the Greats of Jazz, such as Goodman or Hampton. It's more than a hobby so many people call him the "Jazz King"
https://www.hasekamp.net/music1.jpg

more of king bhumibol adulyadej on this page in which there is a picture of the king & his cp maha vajiralongkorn performing a saxophone duet:
THE JAZZY KING

Lady Claire 03-14-2009 01:29 AM

Prince Félix of Luxembourg playing the cello.
Picture (picture from corbis)

Shikha Pal 04-13-2009 08:56 AM

:previous: Thanks for the picture Lady Claire. I remember seeing a picture of Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium playing the piano with Elisabeth and Gabriel, But i cant remember where i saw it, as soon as i see it i will post it.

Shikha Pal 06-12-2009 04:42 AM

Here is a picture of Prince Akishino of Japan playing the guitar https://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...5703591s-1.jpg

sunshine_93 11-04-2009 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikha Pal (Post 885874)
I am keen to know that which Royals plays a musical Instrument.

I know that these Royals can play music.

Princess Beatrice of York plays the Piano.
Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg plays the Violin.
Prince Felix of Luxembourg plays the Cello.
Grand Duchess Maria Teresa plays the Guitar.

I will post Pictures of them with the Instruments soon.

Happy Posting
Shikha Pal

Guillaume plays the guitar too and he sings ;)
I'm curious how he looks when he do this...

jonnydep 01-29-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge (Post 887863)
Prince Charles plays the cello and is known to be the musically gifted on in his family.

yes you are quite right.......i seem to remember prince charles playing the cello in a scene from "the royal family" film (1969) when a string snapped and hit prince edward !!

Al_bina 01-29-2010 04:37 PM

Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan plays a viola.

Juanita 01-29-2010 04:48 PM

Queen Sophia plays the piano

Horatia 07-18-2010 06:01 PM

The princesses Amalia and Alexia of the Netherlands take violin lessons and Pieter van Vollenhoven plays the piano. He used to sing in a band as well.

I don't know more Dutch royals playing a musical instrument, but I do know Queen Beatrix and her sisters Margriet and Christina enjoy singing. Christina is a classically trained singer and she performed at several royal events. In the 80's, Beatrix and Margriet actually recorded a song together with their husbands.
YouTube - Beatrix Claus Pieter en Margriet Beatbiet melodie

dbarn67 07-18-2010 07:31 PM

Princess Martha-Louise of Norway sings. There's at least 1 youtube clip I've seen her singing. Also, didn't the Norwegian crown princely couple sing at CP Victoria's wedding a couple of weeks ago.

nascarlucy 07-18-2010 07:52 PM

Has any royal ever played in an orchestra, a rock band or performed at a charity concert? Or what about making an album. Has any royalty ever won an music award for their performances or music? What about singing their national athem at a sporting event or other event?

captainmooreway 12-08-2010 01:56 PM

Here's Princess Martha Louise singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVsqa...53EF0&index=53

MAfan 12-08-2010 02:14 PM

Queen Elisabeth of Belgium (the grandmother of the present King Albert II) played the violin; her teachers were the famous Belgian violinist and her friend Eugène Ysaÿe, and Ysaÿe's wife after his death in 1931.

fairy tale 12-09-2010 04:20 PM

Princess Märtha Louise playing piano when she was younger. I don't know if she still does.

Esmerelda 12-10-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascarlucy (Post 1113497)
Has any royal ever played in an orchestra, a rock band or performed at a charity concert? Or what about making an album. Has any royalty ever won an music award for their performances or music? What about singing their national athem at a sporting event or other event?

I think Crown Prince Naruhito has played in an orchestra.

Shikha Pal 12-10-2010 06:01 AM

Princess Elisabeth and Prince Gabriel of Belgium playing the Piano :
Picture 1
Picture 2

Source : Corbis

rominet09 12-10-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikha Pal (Post 1172714)
Princess Elisabeth and Prince Gabriel of Belgium playing the Piano :
Picture 1
Picture 2

Source : Corbis

And their mother Mathilde as well !:smile:

Catherine Helvin 01-24-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnydep (Post 1045843)
yes you are quite right.......i seem to remember prince charles playing the cello in a scene from "the royal family" film (1969) when a string snapped and hit prince edward !!

:eek: Ouch, that must have hurt! The Duchess of Kent used to sing in the Bach Choir, not sure if she still does.

Rhys82192 08-31-2011 11:14 PM

Are there any Japanese Royal who plays the Shamisen?

fortimo 09-01-2011 03:00 AM

CP Haakon playing guitar.

Hier can you see him playing guitar and singing with her daughter. By 5:30.
https://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/777092/

Daria_S 09-01-2011 12:41 PM

I read several years back that the Duke of Cambridge was taught some piano, but wasn't very good at it.

Also, I remember reading that his wife was taught piano as well (I believe I read it on this board).

life84 12-19-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juanita (Post 1045862)
Queen Sophia plays the piano

Awe. I did not know that Queen Sophia plays piano, I wish I play piano too :flowers: :D

I see that most of royals play Piano :D. Does any one know about the Arabic Royals ??

Shikha Pal 12-20-2011 12:58 AM

:previous: In the Jordanian Royal Family forum it is mentioned that Crown Prince Hussein plays the guitar!

Patra 12-20-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortimo (Post 1310918)
CP Haakon playing guitar.

Hier can you see him playing guitar and singing with her daughter. By 5:30.
NRK Nett-TV - hastighetsmåling

Haakon seems like he would be a "guitar kind of guy" to me!

Sonjapearl 12-20-2011 03:32 PM

Not sure if this has been shown anywhere, but here's video of Catharina Amalia singing. She sounds very good!

The Voice of Holland: Princess Amalia - YouTube

life84 12-20-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikha Pal (Post 1348532)
:previous: In the Jordanian Royal Family forum it is mentioned that Crown Prince Hussein plays the guitar!

Oh I did not know that, I actually did not see that thread I am tried and looked for it but could not find it, will you please post the thread link in a comment please :flowers: :D thank you dear :D

Burzg 12-29-2011 04:28 AM

In Queen Noor book "Leap of Faith" she tell Prince Hamzah & Prince Hashem play Violin :D

sheikah deena 12-29-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burzg (Post 1351573)
In Queen Noor book "Leap of Faith" she tell Prince Hamzah & Prince Hashem play Violin :D

Oh really nice information always I see this book in library and I said I’ll buy it next time , but from now really I’m going to buy it :flowers:

sheikah deena 12-29-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life84 (Post 1348771)
Oh I did not know that, I actually did not see that thread I am tried and looked for it but could not find it, will you please post the thread link in a comment please :flowers: :D thank you dear :D

really nice info :flowers:

life84 12-29-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burzg (Post 1351573)

That is what I heard once, but I was not sure of it. Do you know where did they learn? I mean was in Jordan or In the States? :flowers:

So they both love music :D what about Iman, Rayiah, and Haya ??

Diarist 12-29-2011 07:56 AM

Don't forget that the Duchess of Kent is a marvellous musician, who plays the piano and the organ and in recent years has even taught piano.

Princess Margaret was indeed an accomplished pianinst and could sing as well. She was felt to be quite talented, but never was pushed to take things further and for example study music at College etc. That was because she was born at a time into the sort of background where music was an 'accomplishment' and a little polite piano-playing and singing was a 'charming drawing room social skill' for many young 'gels' and that was all, unless you had enlightened parents and/ or a 'pushy' music teacher.

Charles played the Cello at school but gave it up when he left. Acting was his 'thing' instead by the time he reached Cambridge. Diana was quite a good pianist - don't forget that her grandmother Lady Fermoy was in fact a Conservatoire-trained concert pianist.

I well remember Diana playing during an enagement. From memory, Charles was first asked to play the cello, whereupon Diana then apparently took great delight [it was at the start of the 'wars of the Waleses' [so-called] in 'showing him up' Until that time, I don't think tht people had realised that she was really quite good at the piano.

I have also see Fergie, rather, er, merry with alcohol, banging away at a table in the Farm Club, Verbier, as if it were a drum, and singing [shouting out] the chorus of a very rude song... Hardly music though, and so I had better stop!

Hope some of this is of interest.

Alex

fairy tale 12-29-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diarist (Post 1351617)
Don't forget that the Duchess of Kent is a marvellous musician, who plays the piano and the organ and in recent years has even taught piano.

Princess Margaret was indeed an accomplished pianinst and could sing as well. She was felt to be quite talented, but never was pushed to take things further and for example study music at College etc. That was because she was born at a time into the sort of background where music was an 'accomplishment' and a little polite piano-playing and singing was a 'charming drawing room social skill' for many young 'gels' and that was all, unless you had enlightened parents and/ or a 'pushy' music teacher.

Charles played the Cello at school but gave it up when he left. Acting was his 'thing' instead by the time he reached Cambridge. Diana was quite a good pianist - don't forget that her grandmother Lady Fermoy was in fact a Conservatoire-trained concert pianist.

I well remember Diana playing during an enagement. From memory, Charles was first asked to play the cello, whereupon Diana then apparently took great delight [it was at the start of the 'wars of the Waleses' [so-called] in 'showing him up' Until that time, I don't think tht people had realised that she was really quite good at the piano.

I have also see Fergie, rather, er, merry with alcohol, banging away at a table in the Farm Club, Verbier, as if it were a drum, and singing [shouting out] the chorus of a very rude song... Hardly music though, and so I had better stop!

Alex

here is a video from this scene
Princess Diana plays the piano in Australia - YouTube

Burzg 12-29-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life84 (Post 1351614)
That is what I heard once, but I was not sure of it. Do you know where did they learn? I mean was in Jordan or In the States? :flowers:

So they both love music :D what about Iman, Rayiah, and Haya ??

Quee Noor say in "National Music Conservatory" i not understand where ? :ermm:

Daria_S 12-29-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diarist (Post 1351617)

Alex

I remember reading about Princess Alexandra's musical talent, and that she was a patron of something music-related too. I knew Diana enjoyed dancing, but had no idea that she was a rather talented pianist to boot. As usual, thank you for the information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairy tale (Post 1351620)

Great video. Definitely one talented individual.

I remember reading that Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge sang in a church choir when younger.

Diarist 12-29-2011 02:07 PM

Although it is not exactly playing an instrument, the Duchess of Kent also has a lovely singing voice, and was in London's Bach Choir for many years. It is a large chorus based in London under the baton of an eminent conductor. Not all of its members are profesional 'full time singers'.

I have a friend who is a mezzo soprano and was in the Bach Choir for some years when she lived in London. The choir used to rehearse weekly and in the middle of each practice, they used to break out for refreshment, bringing with them thermos flasks etc. and sitting in little groups. The Duchess of Kent used to sit with the little groups of 3, 4 and 5, with her detective suddenly materialising with the Duchess' own thermos etc. One day, my friend turned up without her own little snack. It was during the time of the IRA bombings , and my friend, who worked near Victoria Station, had been evacuated from her office as there was a bomb scare that afternoon. It was the evening rush hour, and the police would not let anyone back and so my friend just went on to her Bach choir rehearsal, remembering too late that her little bag was still back at the office. In fact, a couple of other choir members were in the same position, as they had been evacuated from their offices too, and had left most of their belongings behind. The kind Duchess swiftly produced spare cups etc and poured my friend and several others a cup of coffee. The Duchess has a very 'far-from-grand' human side to her and I must say I miss the kindliness and compassion that she used to bring to her public engagements. It is always a delight for me when I see her at a Royal occasion.

Alex

Dierna23 12-29-2011 02:36 PM

The late Duke of Kent, Prince George, was an excellent pianist from what I've read. Not so surprising as he was quite interested and talented in many fields concerning art. He and Marina loved to play duets. In their living room they had two pianos side by side and that was the way how they loved to play together. After George's death noone would ever play on his piano again...

It's said that Lord Freddie is also a talented pianist. Princess Michael plays piano too and she plays the guitar. I don't know more about the other members of the family.

The video about Diana playing piano is very very sweet. :smile:

An Ard Ri 12-29-2011 03:15 PM

I read that Infanta Margarita of Spain is an excellent pianist & a lover of classical music.

life84 12-29-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Aww this is great to know and see Princess Diana playing piano, she is really good player :D thank you for the video :D

Daria_S 12-29-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diarist (Post 1351775)
Although it is not exactly playing an instrument, the Duchess of Kent also has a lovely singing voice, and was in London's Bach Choir for many years. It is a large chorus based in London under the baton of an eminent conductor. Not all of its members are profesional 'full time singers'.

I have a friend who is a mezzo soprano and was in the Bach Choir for some years when she lived in London. The choir used to rehearse weekly and in the middle of each practice, they used to break out for refreshment, bringing with them thermos flasks etc. and sitting in little groups. The Duchess of Kent used to sit with the little groups of 3, 4 and 5, with her detective suddenly materialising with the Duchess' own thermos etc. One day, my friend turned up without her own little snack. It was during the time of the IRA bombings , and my friend, who worked near Victoria Station, had been evacuated from her office as there was a bomb scare that afternoon. It was the evening rush hour, and the police would not let anyone back and so my friend just went on to her Bach choir rehearsal, remembering too late that her little bag was still back at the office. In fact, a couple of other choir members were in the same position, as they had been evacuated from their offices too, and had left most of their belongings behind. The kind Duchess swiftly produced spare cups etc and poured my friend and several others a cup of coffee. The Duchess has a very 'far-from-grand' human side to her and I must say I miss the kindliness and compassion that she used to bring to her public engagements. It is always a delight for me when I see her at a Royal occasion.

Alex

Interesting. Thank you again for your stories :flowers:. Voice is considered an instrument. A secondary school that I visited couple of years ago for observation purposes had a music concentration, and in order to get into the school, students had to be proficient in two instruments. If a student sang, that was equivalent to playing an instrument.

sheikah deena 12-30-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

very very nice video of princess diana I really love piano :flowers:

nascarlucy 12-30-2011 09:54 PM

Nice video of Princess Diana. She played the piano very well.

kathia_sophia 04-03-2013 11:05 AM

I was looking at some info on Royal children that play a musical instrument. Elisabeth and Gabriel both play the piano, Amalia sings but also plays the violin with Alexia...
What about other Royal children?

And what about Harp? Any royal (adult or not) plays it? Harp is one of the most grogeous and delicate musical instrument out there and also unusual because its rare to find someone who plays it.

cepe 04-03-2013 11:19 AM

Apparently the Duchess of Cambridge learnt to sing and play the flute whilst at school - sorry about font - cut and paste from DM

"Shortly before she left the school, she also passed her Associated Board Grade 111 flute examination with merit and also her Grade 1V and V singing."

Daria_S 04-03-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1535440)
Apparently the Duchess of Cambridge learnt to sing and play the flute whilst at school - sorry about font - cut and paste from DM

"Shortly before she left the school, she also passed her Associated Board Grade 111 flute examination with merit and also her Grade 1V and V singing."

She's one well-rounded and talented lady.

BrazilianEmpire 04-03-2013 07:16 PM

Empress Michiko of Japan is a great pianist.

Princess Amélia of Brazil also plays the piano.

Prince Rafael of Brazil plays guitar.

Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil is gifted musician, she plays various intruments.

sarahedwards2 04-03-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire
Empress Michiko of Japan is a great pianist.

Princess Amélia of Brazil also plays the piano.

Prince Rafael of Brazil plays guitar.

Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil is gifted musician, she plays various intruments.

Princess Anne played the oboe when she was at boarding school, but she had to give it up because her teeth got in the way! (I thought that was quite funny; I played the clarinet for 6 years from grades 6 to 12 (age 11 to 17) and never found it a problem.) She also sang in the school choir (as did I when I was that age) and as well did fencing, ballet, lacrosse, tennis, badminton, volleyball, drama and of course horseback riding. When I was in my first year of college in 2009, I went to a lot of the varsity home games. I also participated in Wednesday noon hour activities in the gym; like basketball, dodgeball, shoe-tossing, etc, as well as Monday night intramural volleyball. Needless to say, I got the school spirit award at the end of the year.

amaryllus 07-15-2013 03:30 PM

Princess Aiko of Japan plays the piano and violin.

Baron Brockdorf 07-15-2013 03:38 PM

Princess Madeleine of Sweden, The Duchess of Gastrikland and Halsingland is an excellent pianist

blauerengel 07-15-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf (Post 1575369)
Princess Madeleine of Sweden, The Duchess of Gastrikland and Halsingland is an excellent pianist

Is there any video or record where we can hear her play? I would love to hear how she plays the piano :-)

Baron Brockdorf 07-15-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blauerengel (Post 1575381)
Is there any video or record where we can hear her play? I would love to hear how she plays the piano :-)

there is no video (at least i have not found one ) where we can hear her play however her piano teacher told expressen in may what a good perfomer and student she was/is and that he was writing some music in honour of the union
https://www.expressen.se/gt/musiklara...ssans-brollop/

AdmirerUS 07-15-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 (Post 1535745)
Princess Anne played the oboe when she was at boarding school, but she had to give it up because her teeth got in the way! (I thought that was quite funny; I played the clarinet for 6 years from grades 6 to 12 (age 11 to 17) and never found it a problem.) She also sang in the school choir (as did I when I was that age) and as well did fencing, ballet, lacrosse, tennis, badminton, volleyball, drama and of course horseback riding. When I was in my first year of college in 2009, I went to a lot of the varsity home games. I also participated in Wednesday noon hour activities in the gym; like basketball, dodgeball, shoe-tossing, etc, as well as Monday night intramural volleyball. Needless to say, I got the school spirit award at the end of the year.

My first college roomate introduced herself by way of saying she was a music/oboe major and that oboists went mad because of the ENOURMOUS pressure it took to play the instrument built back into the brain. It was like - "Hi, watch me go off top dead center." I am sure Anne had a far better intro line at school. ;)

emmalisa 09-26-2013 07:47 AM

Princess Tessy plays alto saxophone.

CyrilVladisla 03-09-2014 09:19 PM

King Henry VIII of England owned and played a vast number of musical instruments.
These instruments were:
78 Flutes
76 Recorders
10 Trombones
14 Trumpets
5 Bagpipes

:tudorrose:
King George III of Great Britain played the harpsichord and the flute.

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::britflag::britflag::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

CyrilVladisla 03-21-2014 05:42 PM

Queen Juana (Joanna) of Castile, the daughter of Queen Isabella I of Castile and King Ferdinand V of Aragon, played the clavichord.
Prince Heinrich of Prussia, the brother of Wilhelm II, played the violin.
His wife Princess Irene of Hesse played the piano.
Prince Frederick Louis, the Prince of Wales, who was the son of King George II of England, played the cello.
Felice Pasquale Bacciochi, the husband of Elisa Bonaparte, was a most enthusiastic violinist.
In Royal Life magazine, it was written:

Prince William (of Cambridge) said: "I used to play the piano, trumpet and drums when I was your age, but I couldn't read music."

I did not know that Prince William could not read music.
Queen Victoria of England played the piano.

CyrilVladisla 12-24-2017 02:24 PM

Prince Constantine-Alexios of Greece playing the piano.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2860exqXsWI

King Edward II of England liked the organ, giving one as a present to his sister Princess Mary. He also had an organ installed at his residence of Langley.

Biri 11-22-2018 03:51 PM

Prince Hisahito plaing the flute:

https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/pho...0028927176.jpg

Biri 12-08-2018 01:34 PM

Do you know of any Royals who would be singing in the choir?

Somebody 12-08-2018 01:49 PM

I don't know about a choir but princess Christina and princess Alexia of the Netherlands definitely sing.

Biri 12-15-2018 12:59 PM

Princess Althea de Ligne playing the harp:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrHuwWqIQFG/

and piano:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrH8detIwwm/

CyrilVladisla 07-29-2020 04:33 AM

Duke Georg Alexander of Mecklenburg-Strelitx (1859-1909) was a skillful cellist.