The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Electronic Domain (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/)
-   -   "The Young Victoria" (2009) - Film on Queen Victoria's Early Reign (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/the-young-victoria-2009-film-on-queen-victorias-early-reign-19690.html)

sm1939 01-14-2009 09:34 AM

"The Young Victoria" (2009) - Film on Queen Victoria's Early Reign

dont know if this is the right place to post this, but I have just seen the trailer for the new Queen Victoria film starting emily blunt , it looks really good

Warren 01-15-2009 09:01 AM

"The Young Victoria" film, 2009

The Young Victoria is a Jean-Marc Vallée film set for release in the United Kingdom on 6 March 2009.
It stars Emily Blunt, Miranda Richardson, and Jim Broadbent.
The film will be produced by Graham King, Martin Scorsese, Sarah, Duchess of York and Tim Headington.

Principal Cast
  • Emily Blunt as Victoria
  • Rupert Friend as Prince Albert
  • Miranda Richardson as the Duchess of Kent
  • Mark Strong as John Conroy
  • Jim Broadbent as King William IV
  • Paul Bettany as Lord Melbourne
  • Thomas Kretschmann as King Leopold I of Belgium
  • Julian Glover as the Duke of Wellington
  • Rachael Stirling as the Duchess of Sutherland
  • Princess Beatrice of York is to make a cameo appearance during the coronation scene as a lady-in-waiting.
from Wiki

Warren 01-15-2009 09:27 AM

The Trailer

YouTube - The Young Victoria trailer

Tilla 01-15-2009 09:49 AM

So thankful for this interesting information. Will this film be given at the same time at telefision as in cinemas? I am looking so much forward to seeing it.

JulieS 01-15-2009 12:37 PM

Jean-Marc Vallée is a Canadian (Quebecois). I hope the film will be release in Canada, too.

ChantalC 01-15-2009 12:44 PM

Wow! This movie, "The Young Victoria" looks interesting! I hope this film will release in Canada.

EmpressRouge 01-15-2009 08:45 PM

From the looks of the trailer, like any other historical film, they liked to focus on the romance of the title character. Sometimes movies overemphasize the importance the love life to attract audiences. However, in Victoria's case, her love for Albert was indeed very influential on her life and her reign. I look forward to watching this movie.

PssMarie-Elisabeth 01-16-2009 04:54 PM

The Young Queen Victoria - BBC Documentary

1 Attachment(s)
A must see docudrama about the famous British monarch posted on YouTube entitled, Queen Victoria's Men ... she really was quite like many of us ;)

YouTube - Queen Victoria's Men - documentary broadcast 2 June 2008 - part 1 of 8.

Queen Victoria shortly before Prince Albert's death (c1861)

NotAPretender 01-18-2009 12:12 AM

Isn't that the score from "Love Actually?"

EmpressRouge 01-18-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAPretender (Post 881141)
Isn't that the score from "Love Actually?"

It is! I'm glad I was I wasn't the only one who recognized it. I only knew it so fast because the "Love Actually" score was also being used in the trailers for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and that took me a while to figure out.

lallettac 02-23-2009 09:04 AM

Princess Beatrice of York will appear in this movie!!

Warren 02-23-2009 10:15 AM

:previous: Yes, it is mentioned in post #2 along with the cast.

lallettac 02-24-2009 09:51 AM

sorry, I hadn't seen it!!

ghost_night554 02-27-2009 05:57 PM

Apparently her part has been cut from the film

Quote:

And a film insider said: “It has been cut, as is the case with a lot of smaller parts. It’s all a bit blink-and-you’ll-miss-it. She goes past very quickly.”
The Sun

Emeralds and Opals 02-28-2009 09:50 PM

Emily Blunt and co hope that Queen Victoria would be amused - Telegraph

Skydragon 03-04-2009 05:22 AM

A film premiered last night shows the many plots to kill the young Queen Victoria. But her biographer reveals the real story behind this remarkable couple is even more sensational...

Were Queen Victoria and Prince Albert both illegitimate? | Mail Online

:ermm::ermm::ermm:

Jo of Palatine 03-04-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 902887)
A film premiered last night shows the many plots to kill the young Queen Victoria. But her biographer reveals the real story behind this remarkable couple is even more sensational...

Were Queen Victoria and Prince Albert both illegitimate? | Mail Online

:ermm::ermm::ermm:

At the time Victoria was conceived there had been a run for an heir between the younger sons of king George III. because his only legitimate grandchild, Princess Charlotte of Wales, had died in 1817 and his heir, the Prince of wales, later George IV. was definately not going to have any further offspring. So William (later IV.) married Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, but she had only children which died young. But Ernest August, Duke of Cumberland managed to become father of a son and heir in 1819. So to imagine that a Saxon princess like Victoria, married to the more senior brother the Duke of Kent, would cheat on her husband and thus deprive a young prince of his inheritance is beyond me. Royal families did not work that way back then, they still believed in a God given right and thus I sincerely doubt Victoria would have cheated on her husband in such a situation.

Idriel 03-05-2009 04:46 PM

I have just been to a screening of the movie and here is my review:

The movie is an enjoyable romantic drama set in glorious settings. The casting, costume design and photography were all outstanding.

Emily Blunt was amazing as Victoria. She was able to convey Victoria's fire, strength, girlishness and inexperience all at once. I think she a did great job with what she was given but I feel she wasn't given enough.
The movie centers almost exclusively on mater of emotional attachment (her feud with her mother, her 'infatuation' with Lord Melbourne, her falling in love with Albert) and almost no attention is given to her public life. Historical events are used as a prop which I think is regrettable. I was expecting something similar to what they did in the Elizabeth movie (with Cate Blanchett) in term of balancing both private and public life. That's really the biggest criticism I have to make about this movie.

Rupert Friend was, in my opinion, the true star of the movie. Quite simply, you will fall in love with him. You really have to admire anyone who can make a German accent sound the height of sexiness.
This part wasn't an easy one. As Albert ask in the movie: 'What do you call a man who waits for a wealthy woman to marry him?'. A lesser actor would have made Albert looks emasculated and a bit insincere but Rupert really showed what a complex man Albert really was, and how he struggled to find his own purpose. Ironically you'll come off this movie with a better understanding of Albert than of Victoria.

The rest of the cast was really on point, including an hilarious portrayal of Victoria's predescessor, her uncle.

I definitely recommend this movie to any Royal watcher, but I advise to not expect an historical movie, as in this aspect it's quite disappointing, but rather a beautiful, non-cheesy love story.

PS: for those who care, Beatrice is on screen for about 4 seconds during the coronation scene. She looks exactly like her pictures.

RoyalProtocol 03-06-2009 04:35 AM

Princess Beatrice makes her movie debut in The Young Victoria | The Sun |Showbiz|Film

Page from the Sun showing HRH Princess Beatrice of York's scene in the Film

Skydragon 03-06-2009 05:55 AM

He rubs shoulders with the royals, knows the palace inside out and is even married to a lady-in-waiting. Here, Julian Fellowes reveals how his aristocratic contacts helped him create his lavish new blockbuster

Screenwriter reveals: How I put Young Victoria on the throne | Mail Online

The Young Victoria: We are not amused | Mail Online

Royallife 03-06-2009 05:56 AM

In wonder when we can see the film in Belgium, it looks like a great movie !

Al_bina 03-06-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 903940)

I agree that Ms. Blunt is far more attractive than Queen Victoria was. Martin Scorsese is a true master, when it comes to costume films. I am looking forward to seeing this film.

carlota 03-07-2009 03:51 PM

i saw the trailer some weeks ago and can't wait to see the movie. it looks great. it's quite strange seeing emily blunt as victoria, after her appearing in the devil wears prada. certainly polyfacetic.

Emeralds and Opals 03-07-2009 08:34 PM

Why I tore up the Hollywood script: The royal parallels that inspired Sarah Ferguson to make The Young Victoria | Mail Online

RubyPrincess168 03-08-2009 01:02 AM

When will this come to the US? I don't see a distributor listed for the USA.
The Young Victoria (2009) - Cast and Credits - Yahoo! Movies

crm2317 03-09-2009 05:07 AM

I went to see this film last week and I thought it was wonderful. Such a romantic story. The costumes and the scenery were beautiful. Definately recommended

Ella Kay 03-09-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 (Post 904680)
When will this come to the US? I don't see a distributor listed for the USA.
The Young Victoria (2009) - Cast and Credits - Yahoo! Movies

IMDB doesn't have a US release date yet, either ... I'm so impatient, I want to see it! :smile:

The Editrix 03-11-2009 06:12 AM

I wish I could find the release date for Australia. . . can't seem to find it anywhere. . .

RubyPrincess168 03-12-2009 01:55 AM

Maybe if it gets nominated for an Oscar next year, we'll have a shot at seeing it.

Emeralds and Opals 03-13-2009 02:52 AM

Julian Fellowes: bringing a touch of class to Hollywood - Telegraph

Ella Kay 03-18-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 (Post 906591)
Maybe if it gets nominated for an Oscar next year, we'll have a shot at seeing it.

Probably. And it seems likely to be nominated for costume and set design at the very least. Maybe this fall we'll get it in theaters in America?

PssMarie-Elisabeth 09-01-2009 04:28 PM

Princess Beatrice of York as a 'lady-in-waiting' to Queen Victoria in the coronation scene :smile:

YouTube - The Young Victoria 2009

Archduchess Zelia 09-02-2009 05:48 AM

It is an amazing movie! I think that Emily Blunt is so good as Victoria!

EmpressRouge 09-02-2009 01:14 PM

I'd like to how they make Emily Blunt look short enough. Emily is about 5' 8" and Queen Victoria was barely 5' from what I've read.

susan alicia 09-02-2009 02:01 PM

I did not know that Victoria was that small but I doubt whether many people mind when they see the movie.

Cate Blanchett is also about 5.8 and Elizabeth I was 5.3 I think.

Sereta 09-02-2009 02:06 PM

For those wanting to know the release dates for this movie:
It's supposed to be released in the U.S. around November 13th 2009 and it's just now being released in Australia.

Lumutqueen 09-02-2009 02:17 PM

Release Dates.

Germany = 5 February 2009 (European Film Market)
UK = 6 March 2009
Israel = 9 April 2009
Spain = 30 April 2009
Netherlands = 21 May 2009
Singapore = 21 May 2009
Denmark = 4 June 2009
UK = 13 July 2009 (DVD premiere)
France = 22 July 2009
Finland = 31 July 2009
Australia = 27 August 2009
New Zealand = 27 August 2009
Norway = 11 September 2009
Sweden = 11 September 2009
Belgium = 16 September 2009
Canada = 19 September 2009 (Toronto Film Festival)
Greece = 8 October 2009
USA = 13 November 2009
USA = 13 November 2009(limited)
Russia = 26 November 2009

The film is incredible, I have watched it over and over again. Emily Blunt is amazing. :flowers:

Archduchess Zelia 09-03-2009 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumutqueen (Post 986912)
The film is incredible, I have watched it over and over again. Emily Blunt is amazing. :flowers:

I SO agree with you lumutqueen (: it is an amazing movie!

queenofthelight 09-07-2009 02:04 PM

Sarah Ferguson's flick 'Young Victoria' tipped for Oscar glory - hellomagazine.com (7/09/2009).:smile:

Marsel 09-07-2009 02:10 PM

I suppose the movie does have pretty good chances, especially in the ‘costumes’ category.

iowabelle 09-07-2009 06:55 PM

What exactly was Sarah's title associated with the movie? Are we ever going to see it in the US?

Marsel 09-07-2009 07:04 PM

:previous:

Sarah is one of the producers of the movie (the other producers are Martin Scorsese, Tim Headington and Graham King).
"The Young Victoria" will be released in the USA on November 13, 2009. And of course, the last country it will be released in is Russia - on November 26, 2009.

Zonk 09-07-2009 07:09 PM

I was wondering when it was going to be released in the US.

But really, does anyone do fact checking anymore or was that the first to go with the world economy.....Beatrice has a non speaking role in the film not Eugenie.

Any type of Oscar nomination, or heck....commercial success or critical reception be would a welcome change for Sarah.

iowabelle 09-07-2009 07:15 PM

That's what I was thinking... although when you think about it, Dodi Fayed also won an Oscar.

Marsel 09-07-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 988687)
<...>...Beatrice has a non speaking role in the film not Eugenie.

Beatrice's cameo appearance was cut out, so unfortunately we won't get a glimpse of her in the movie.
Quote:

Any type of Oscar nomination, or heck....commercial success or critical reception be would a welcome change for Sarah.
I think the movie has already enjoyed a certain degree of critical and even commercial success in the countries it was released in (UK, Germany, Spain, Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, France, Israel and several others): so far, there have been few, if any, negative reviews. The movie is even pretty accurate from historical point of view, which is a rarity.
Of course, the 'real talk' will start only once the movie is released in the US, although I don't think the critical reception will be any different there. Now, as for the commercial success (in the US), that's a different matter: I think it does have chances to be pretty successful, especially since there are no other 'big' movies planned for release at the same time.

I agree, success, any sort of success, will be a welcome change for Sarah, especially after all the negative press she’s been receiving lately.

By the way, I've heard rumours that Emily Blunt will be nominated for Oscar for her role as Victoria: a worthy choice, if it happens - she played the part admirably and is generally a wonderful actress, in my opinion.

Iluvbertie 09-07-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsel (Post 988697)
Beatrice's cameo appearance was cut out, so unfortunately we won't get a glimpse of her in the movie.

I haven't seen the film but a friend of mine has and she told me that Beatrice is clearly seen in the movie.

Maybe there are different cuts of the film depending on the market.

Zonk 09-07-2009 07:36 PM

Unfortunately, I am not sure the film will be a commercial success in the US.

Not that I can speak on behalf of the American consumer, but unless it has the name Jane Austen attached to it, historical dramas don't do well in the States.

If it has a limited release artistic release, that might be something totally different. Either way, I am glad that it has gotten positive reviews...I will definitely try to check it out.

I am sure this will please Sarah, she is definitely a true fan of Queen Victoria.

Marsel 09-07-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 988701)
I haven't seen the film but a friend of mine has and she told me that Beatrice is clearly seen in the movie.

Maybe there are different cuts of the film depending on the market.

I've read that Beatrice's 'few short scenes' were shortened even further until they were totally cut from the movie.
Obviously, either some scenes did make it into the movie, or there are indeed different releases depending on the marker. :smile:
It is well possible that in the countries the movie was released first, Beatrice's cameo hadn't been cut yet.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I am not sure the film will be a commercial success in the US.
Not that I can speak on behalf of the American consumer, but unless it has the name Jane Austen attached to it, historical dramas don't do well in the States.
If it has a limited release artistic release, that might be something totally different. Either way, I am glad that it has gotten positive reviews...I will definitely try to check it out.
I am sure this will please Sarah, she is definitely a true fan of Queen Victoria.
In one of the reviews on 'The Young Victoria' I read, the reviewer wrote: "...one of the best-costume dramas ... and one without Ms Knightley in it ...or written by Jane Austen. :biggrin:
The movie is unlikely to be a huge commercial success (not along the Harry Potter or Transformers line) but I hope it will be a moderate commercial success, especially for costume drama genre. It might not be a Jane Austen work but instead it can boast an Oscar-winning screenplay writer, Martin Scorsese and Emily Blunt. And the ‘glamour’ of a real Duchess as a producer might help a bit as well.

rmay286 09-07-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsel (Post 988706)
In one of the reviews on 'The Young Victoria' I read, the reviewer wrote: "...one of the best-costume dramas ... and one without Ms Knightley in it ...or written by Jane Austen. :biggrin:
The movie is unlikely to be a huge commercial success (not along the Harry Potter or Transformers line) but I hope it will be a moderate commercial success, especially for costume drama genre. It might not be a Jane Austen work but instead it can boast an Oscar-winning screenplay writer, Martin Scorsese and Emily Blunt. And the ‘glamour’ of a real Duchess as a producer might help a bit as well.

Yes, I have read some good reviews about The Young Victoria too. Does anyone know when it would be released in Canada (or has it been already released?)

When I was younger I read Sarah's co-authored book about Victoria and Albert's life at Osborne House over and over again. I just loved the glimpses it gave into their family life as the nine children were born and grew up. The book really showed how much Victoria loved Albert and how much he doted on their children, and from a historical standpoint it was very interesting too.

I really do think Sarah probably knows a fair bit about Queen Victoria and her knowledge was probably helpful in making the film. You can tell she was already a fan of Victoria when she named her daughters ("Beatrice," and "Eugenie Victoria Helena"...three of those names belonged to Victoria's daughters!) I saw a review of The Young Victoria that mentioned you could tell the film was produced by someone who knew the way things really worked in a palace...the formality, the rules, etc.

ada 09-08-2009 12:47 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie. IMO Sarah's 'glamour' isn't going to add to it's success, but her knowledge as a member of the royal family and from co-authoring the book will certainly add to her input as a producer.

RubyPrincess168 09-09-2009 11:26 AM

That you tube clip gave me chills! It looks really good! I wonder if they're realeasing it in the US in time to make it more eligeble for the Oscars! Elizabeth did well there, I think, and I hope this does too.

marmi 09-09-2009 04:26 PM

The princess does make a very brief appearance - her scenes involve the coronation, which is sort of split into 2 parts of the movie.
The coronation (or lack thereof) was my biggest complaint about the film, which I otherwise enjoyed.

And as has been commented above, the film is remarkably historically accurate, with only 1 definite point that I know if that is a fabrication for the movie's sake.

And finally, Emily Blunt, really was truely amazing, I will be disappointed if she doesn't get some critical acclaim or award nominations for it.

Lumutqueen 09-09-2009 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 (Post 989401)
That you tube clip gave me chills! It looks really good! I wonder if they're realeasing it in the US in time to make it more eligeble for the Oscars! Elizabeth did well there, I think, and I hope this does too.

USA = 13 November 2009
USA = 13 November 2009(limited)

Release dates for the USA.

It's eligible for Oscars as it's between the 1st January 2009 and 31st December 2009. :smile:

Beatrice is in very briefly.
The coronation is far too short. :smile:

Sunnystar 11-25-2009 08:38 PM

The release date has been pushed back to December 18, 2009. I'm getting very excited and am hoping, hoping, hoping that it's not a limited release because that could mean I'll have to wait longer here in Portland or go up to Seattle.

pdas1201 11-27-2009 01:28 AM

I saw the movie a while back and didn't think much of it. It didn't go underneath the surface to explore the characters. I thought many of them one-dimensional and so they didn't elicit any feelings from me. But then again, I really liked the miniseries "Victoria and Albert" with Jonathan Firth and Victoria Hamilton, so I could be biased.

Btw, I don't remember seeing Princess Beatrice, so maybe I saw the "other" cut as someone mentioned.

Warren 12-03-2009 10:13 PM

Members of "The Young Victoria" team have contacted the Forums and offered the following videos:
The Official Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/TheYoungVictoriaMovie

Warren 12-03-2009 10:14 PM

Warren 12-03-2009 10:15 PM

YouTube - The Young Victoria - Music in his Heart

Warren 12-03-2009 10:16 PM

YouTube - Albert Gets Involved in Government - The Young Victoria

Empress Merel 12-31-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmi (Post 989604)
The princess does make a very brief appearance - her scenes involve the coronation, which is sort of split into 2 parts of the movie.
The coronation (or lack thereof) was my biggest complaint about the film, which I otherwise enjoyed.

And as has been commented above, the film is remarkably historically accurate, with only 1 definite point that I know if that is a fabrication for the movie's sake.

And finally, Emily Blunt, really was truely amazing, I will be disappointed if she doesn't get some critical acclaim or award nominations for it.

Emily got nominated for a Golden Globe. I think even two.

scooter 12-31-2009 04:22 PM

It has just opened near us in NY. I am going to see it next weekend.

Lady Meg 01-01-2010 11:27 PM

I saw it on the plane to London. I get that's it's based on "The Young" Victoria but as always I would have loved to see more. I love Emily Blunt so I was so happy to see her taking on the role of Queen Victoria. I find Queen Victoria's life extremely interesting. I loved the costumes and the scenery. They did an excellent job with that. The movie was good. I was surprised to see that The Duchess of York was a producer, but then again she did write 'Tea For Ruby', the childrens book - so never mind. If you watch one of the interviews with Emily Blunt.. you will find her talking about her opportunity to actually look at Queen Victoria's old diaries. What I wouldn't give to be able to read those. Wow!

Lady Meg 02-19-2010 10:18 PM

Princess Beatrice of York

Here is a pic with Beatrice in the back round (see far right)

https://ferdyonfilms.com/The_Young_Vi...887_Medium.jpg

Duchessmary 02-20-2010 12:02 PM

Loved the film, I had NO idea that Princess Bea did a walk on part!!!

Empress Merel 02-21-2010 07:33 AM

I bought it on dvd last week before I went to Austria. I indeed noticed Beatrice immediately. She had quite a few seconds of screen time.
And oh wow, how I loved the movie. It was so beautiful. The connection between Emily and Rupert was spot on. They portrayed Victoria and Albert so brilliantly.

Really one of my favorite movies I've seen and the best I've watched in a long time.

CordeliaFitzgerald 02-21-2010 05:43 PM

I love this film! I wish it got more attention in the US but I'm sure it is finding an audience all the same.

kathl29 02-23-2010 06:14 AM

I really loved this film. Emily Blunt did a wonderful job as Victoria. I bought it on DVD as soon as it was available so I could see it again.

Lady Meg 03-04-2010 12:09 PM

Comparison of Beatrice and Victoria.
https://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2250691_n.jpg

Lady Meg 03-05-2010 09:36 PM

It's remarkable how much Princess Beatrice looks like Victoria.

4Pam 05-01-2010 11:51 AM

I rented the DVD last night and I was very impressed with it. The really did a great job on the costumes and set designs. They really focused on the movie to be realistic. I'm a big fan of Emily Blunt too.

CrownPrincess5 05-25-2010 03:56 PM

This movie was okay to me. I like Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend, but I was waiting for the "wow" factor. It didn't sweep me off my feet. I thought the dialogue and sequence could have been better. The switching between scenes was annoying, they didn't get that right. When I saw Beatrice in it, I was astonished. Beatrice caused the movie not to have that "back-in-the-day" setting. It made the movie seem "bootleg". All in all, the film was okay and I wouldn't watch it again. I give it a C-. The costume design was as always, really good.

HRHDuke of Osborne 07-15-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 (Post 1085273)
This movie was okay to me. I like Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend, but I was waiting for the "wow" factor. It didn't sweep me off my feet. I thought the dialogue and sequence could have been better. The switching between scenes was annoying, they didn't get that right. When I saw Beatrice in it, I was astonished. Beatrice caused the movie not to have that "back-in-the-day" setting. It made the movie seem "bootleg". All in all, the film was okay and I wouldn't watch it again. I give it a C-. The costume design was as always, really good.

I must agree with you, It didn't get me at All. I don't feel like Emily Blunt captured the odd gentile HM Queen- Empress Victoria.

The only greatness is their Clothes, which were Remarkable! But i wouldn't watch it again, They didn't capture the real Victoria. I hope someone makes a Deep Victoria movie. Like Elizabeth R, with Glenda Jackson. I want to see her relationship with her children as well. And we all know how strange that was lol

Royal Fan 01-06-2011 12:45 AM

lol I Saw it but wasnt impressed, Victoria Hamilton did a much better job in 2001....

Royal Fan 06-02-2011 11:26 PM

Do you think he was portrayed accuratly in Victoria and Albert with Victoria Hamilton and Jonathan Firth

windsorbrides1 06-05-2011 01:01 AM

LOL! I was watching something about Prince Albert on Youtube and they called him "a real stud" because he gave England 9 princes and princesses.

IloveCP 06-06-2011 12:43 AM

Anyone know any good books about him?

YouTube - &#x202a;Victoria & Albert 1 - Part 8&#x202c;&rlm;

I love this part in "Victoria and Albert" in which they show the wedding.Albert turns around and looks at her and he looks amazed!

If only there were a lot of men like Albert today........

roseroyal 06-26-2011 03:34 PM

Edward the 7th/Edward the King more my cup of tea...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan (Post 1261708)
Do you think he was portrayed accuratly in Victoria and Albert with Victoria Hamilton and Jonathan Firth

I liked Edward the 7th better. But then Robert Hardy ( Albert ) is my favorite actor.
Not knowing Albert, it is hard to judge the accuracy of an actor's portrayal.

Grandduchess24 06-28-2011 06:01 PM

Albert seemed to have portrayed a loving husband and caring father no wonder v fell in love with him and I just love the way Rupert friend played the prince consort in ' the young victoria'

XeniaCasaraghi 06-30-2011 10:03 PM

Rupert and Jonathan Firth played great Albert's. Jonathan had more time to develop the role, but Rupert at least remembered that the character he was playing was German.

IloveCP 07-01-2011 09:07 AM

Im with you Xeina!I have a crush on him and I loved Firth as Albert.

Grandduchess24 07-04-2011 11:44 AM

Emily blunt was the queen and Rupert friend was the prince consort and I just have to say that I absolutely love everything about the movie the costumes especially and how they made everything look so regal
Bravo Martin scorsese , Sarah ferguson and the director of the movie and in my opium it should have won more awards. The very first time I saw it I wanted to see it again but now I have my own copy :)

pgm1952 08-05-2011 09:26 PM

This was rediculous, but when I saw the opening coronation scene I teared up a little. I couldn't help but think of that great woman and what her dynasty and empire would become in her lifetime and was overcome!

QUEENECE29 08-06-2011 07:25 AM

Very nice movie. Especially great costume designs. Great visual movie. A great and wonderful love.

Emeralds and Opals 08-07-2011 10:02 AM

I can't wait for two more films to chronicle her middle age and her twilight years.

:flowers:

Mirabel 08-07-2011 10:11 AM

It's interesting how some films about royalty become huge, award-winning blockbusters (The King's Speech, The Queen) while others are DOA. (The Queen's Sister, Mrs. Brown, etc.). Is it just the execution, or are some royals just more intriguing than others?

pgm1952 08-07-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirabel
It's interesting how some films about royalty become huge, award-winning blockbusters (The King's Speech, The Queen) while others are DOA. (The Queen's Sister, Mrs. Brown, etc.). Is it just the execution, or are some royals just more intriguing than others?

That's an interesting point and it is true that some royals capture the imagination more than others, but it can also be about the audience and other factors. There is a substantially larger audience that wants to see a movie about Diana's death (grim though it is) than one who are interested in the monarchs of times past.

I would love to see a movie about George V and Queen Mary but there are not many who would care about him as it has been well established that he was a simple man who shot game and collected stamps (there is no edge to them that you can sell to an audience like a stammer that needs curing or a strained relationship between a mother and daughter in law). They had their foibles but nothing huge or ground breaking happened to them worthy of a movie (maybe the questin of the Romanovs coming to England but that's about it).

Biri 04-01-2016 03:22 PM

Have you seen this?
Frames from "The Young Victoria" & "Mrs Brown":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkdQIn3E_g

AC21091968 10-23-2020 07:12 PM

Apparently, the Tapestry Room in Belvoir Castle was used as Queen Victoria's new bedroom (when she became ascended to the throne) in Young Victoria
@belvoircastle Verified
Did you know? - The Tapestry Room was used as the new Queen's bedroom in the film Young Victoria starring Emily Blunt, and the four-poster bed was made for the set ✨
#castle #statelyhomes #historichouses #rhs #visitnottingham #visitleicestershire #visitlincolnshire #daysout #nature #countryside #familydaysout #countryestate
13h
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGrmNosgAmJ/