The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royal Residences (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/)
-   -   General Discussion about Royal Residences (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/general-discussion-about-royal-residences-18945.html)

auroraDaniel 06-02-2005 11:09 PM

General Discussion about Royal Residences

i have read in many websites and books that the royal family does own several castles, and some of the castles are not. is it true? which castle belong to the royal family and which is not? and how come some castles can be bought by people like me and you?

i do not have the pic of the castles here but i'm sure some of you do. could you guys post them here? and tell us the story behind those castles? :)

Elspeth 06-02-2005 11:20 PM

Balmoral Castle in Scotland and Sandringham House in Norfolk are personal property of the Queen, meaning that she could sell them if she wanted to. Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, St James's Palace, Kensington Palace, Holyrood House, Hampton Court, the Tower of London, and other royalty-associated castles and palaces are owned by the nation and aren't the personal property of the monarch. Highgrove House is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall.

This page from the official website of the British monarchy goes into more detail about the different castles and palaces.

https://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page553.asp

auroraDaniel 06-08-2005 01:09 AM

well thanks elspeth :) . what about leeds castle in kent? i read once that the castle once was bought by an american lady. is that true?

Elspeth 06-08-2005 11:56 AM

Yes, apparently it was bought by an American heiress in the 1920s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/kent/discover_k...es/leeds.shtml

His Lordship 06-08-2005 03:38 PM

Yes, and now I think Leeds in the hands of the National Trust, who are doing a great job of making sure these historical castles and homes stay standing.

Melania 01-01-2006 02:56 PM

Royal houses for sale?

From what I have read, both the Duke of York and the Prince Michael of Kent are both putting their homes up for sale. One of the offers the Duke of York has received was from a friend of Fergie's to turn their former home into a spa. My question is why are the royals putting up their homes for sale? Is it a seller's market? What is the deal? Are they not atticipating a future royal monarchy, or are they wanting to take the chance to modernize a bit? I wonder? What do you think and does anyone have any more information on these subjects? Thanks if you do! :)

Queen Mary I 01-01-2006 03:01 PM

I thought the Princess Michael Of Kent had to vacate Kensington Palace in some years and this will apparently put a bite in the Royal pockets. They had been paying a pittance for their grand apartments (Her Majesty's 'Grace and Favor' wedding gift) but their other home that they are selling-perhaps they need the money? Or they don't need so many rooms if their children have moved out? And if Sarah is moving out perhaps Andrew feels the need to downsize also. It is all very interesting.

Iluvbertie 01-01-2006 05:38 PM

Andrew inherited a home on the Windsor estate from the Queen Mum which he is refurbishing and going to make his home so he needs to sell the family home he shared with Sarah.

Zonk 01-02-2006 04:15 PM

Here is a weird question...I know that a lot of families have to play death duties...how is that calculated and does it start at a certain dollar amount. And LASTLY...how is it possible that the current Duke of Gloucester was able to delay paying the duties from the death of his father?

Australian 04-03-2006 01:22 AM

Could anybody please tell me which royal residence Queen Elizabeth I mainly resided at? Thank you:) Was it Hampton Court where her father mainly stayed?

Elley 04-22-2006 03:04 PM

silverware

Does anyone know the silver tableware (silverware) pattern used at Windsor Castle or any of the Queen's castles? Just curious.

Bella 08-20-2006 02:25 PM

Personal Rooms at Royal Households ~

In light of the news that HM will be celebrating Christmas at Windsor Castle rather than Sandringham, it brings a question to mind about the royals and their various households. When the RF (excluding HM and Prince Philip) visits any of the royal households for a length of time, do they have their own rooms there with their own personal effects? Do Princes Wm & Harry have their own rooms at Windsor, for example? How about Psss. Beatrice & Eugenie. And Peter and Zara? Are they able to decorate and furnish these rooms to their own liking or are they more like hotel rooms, where they are used "as is" for the duration of the stay? Also, when they stay as guests of HM at these various royal residences, are they able to say, raid the kitchen refrigerator, or must they go through protocol to get something to eat? I'm thinking this 'cuz they are all young people who I'm sure have healthy appetites and, unlike ordinary folk, probably can't just mosey down to the kitchen and make a sandwich when they want. Does anyone know the protocol for this. Also does anyone have any photos of the inside of some of these royal residences? Thank you.

BeatrixFan 08-20-2006 02:43 PM

Rooms in the various residences are permanent and are decorated depending on the owner. For example, at Windsor, the Queen is the boss and so she'll have the private rooms decorated as she sees fit but then the members of the RF will add their personal touches. At Windsor, almost all of the Queen's children have rooms and the same goes for Buckingham Palace. Princess Anne has rooms at St James's too and Princess Alexandra has rooms there also.

As for eating, they ring the bell, put in their order and it's sent up. Generally, they wouldn't be guests of the Queen because the rooms are considered to be theirs and they are private. They get serviced by the Household staff. As far as I know, Beatrice and Eugenie, Zara and Peter don't have rooms in any Royal Residence apart from (for B and E) Sunninghill and (for Z and P) at Gatcombe.

At private residences, the Royal Family can pretty much do as they like. For example, Highgrove belongs to Prince Charles and he can do as he wants. There's a tale of him going down to make himself a sandwich and he saw several chickens in the fridge. When he asked why there were so many, his cook said, "Well Sir, you do like your vol-au-vents". In Buckingham Palace, Charles wouldn't do that because it's very much his mother's house.

It's a very complicated subject and I'd recommend you get "At Home with the Queen" by Brian Hoey which gives a detailed account of every aspect of Royal life such as where the Royals sleep, what they eat and when etc etc.

Tricota 10-14-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan

It's a very complicated subject and I'd recommend you get "At Home with the Queen" by Brian Hoey which gives a detailed account of every aspect of Royal life such as where the Royals sleep, what they eat and when etc etc.

That looks interesting. I think I'll try and look into that. I see that he has also done a book with the title "Life with the Queen". I dont know if this is a new book, or simply an update. Do you know anything about that?

Elspeth 10-14-2006 12:20 PM

Some of his books do overlap others in the information they provide; it's possible that one of them is just an update of the other - you might be able to find out by looking at the listings at Amazon.

PrinceOfCanada 04-26-2008 04:26 AM

Palace and Castle floorplans/insider info.

So I was wondering.. does anyone here have a floorplan of Buck House, Windsor, Balmoral, or Sandringham? I don't mean the dull (but gorgeous) State Rooms in the first two.. I mean servants' quarters, G&F apartments, etc etc.

infinityland 08-18-2008 05:13 PM

Royal Residences help!

Hello there! This is my first post!

Anyway! I'm looking for floor plans of a few of the royal residences, particularly Kensington Palace & Clarence house.

I've looked all over the net but the only thing I can seem to find is one of Buckingham Palace which doesn't go into much detail.

Thanks for any replies! :)

Fie 08-18-2008 05:22 PM

Euh, there's a reason why no detailed floor plans of royal residence exists or are very hard to come by: it's because of the safety measures...

All royal residences invest a lot of money into security. That can be anything from an alarm system to a huge fence around the estate. Also making sure that no floor plans from a residence are published is a security measure.

infinityland 08-18-2008 05:28 PM

Oh yes! I'm so stupid, I never even thought of that :P

Yes I suppose it would be a pretty silly thing to release detailed floor plans of their homes. Thanks anyways tho!

LadyK 08-18-2008 10:59 PM

There are some floorplans for royal residences, depending on which ones you need. A great place to look (oddly enough) is that residence's website. They'll often have small plans mostly showing tours. The more famous and historical palaces and residences may have plans printed. Look through databases of architectural periodicals for those.

Fie is right- you will never find exact current floor plans because they are classified information. Any detailed plans you can find will be old plans that are probably not to scale.

Stefan 08-19-2008 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinityland (Post 813073)
Hello there! This is my first post!

Anyway! I'm looking for floor plans of a few of the royal residences, particularly Kensington Palace & Clarence house.

I've looked all over the net but the only thing I can seem to find is one of Buckingham Palace which doesn't go into much detail.

Thanks for any replies! :)

There is a floor Plan of Clarence House in the Guide of it. But it contains only the rooms on the Ground florr which can be visited in Summer every Year.

Marengo 11-04-2008 07:30 PM

General Discussion about British Royal Residences

I was wondering if anybody knows on which estates several children of Queen Victoria lived. The Duke of Connaught had Bagshot Park but what about the Dukes of Edinburgh and Albany? I suppose they both had a house on the country side too.

Warren 11-05-2008 04:52 AM

The Duke and Duchess of Albany, and later the widowed Duchess, lived at Claremont House. See this Wiki article.
The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh (Alfred and Marie of Russia) lived at Clarence House.

Stefan 11-05-2008 05:38 AM

And Clarence House became the London residence of the Duke and Duchess of Connaught after the Duke mof Edinburgh and Saxe-Coburg had passed away.

sirhon11234 12-11-2008 12:38 PM

General Royal Residence Topics

Huge overspends revealed in renovating royal buildings

Huge overspends revealed in renovating royal buildings | UK news | guardian.co.uk

Emeralds and Opals 03-23-2009 07:45 PM

Re: Castle of Mey-Scotland.

Former home of Queen Mother in homosexual weddings row - Telegraph

:scotflag::royalstandard::britflag::castle3::castle:

Skydragon 03-25-2009 07:25 AM

:previous: There are very many venues in Scotland, IMO, that ONLY offer a christian ceremony. The article is wrong when it states that Charles would not have been able to marry there, why not? Scotland allows divorced couples to marry in church, so why would this be any different!:rolleyes:

scooter 03-25-2009 08:27 AM

It does seem a contradiction that QEQM surrounded herself with gay attendants and yet they cant marry there.

Skydragon 03-26-2009 08:17 AM

Under Scottish law, a marriage can take place at the castle if performed by a religious figure who already holds a licence.

However, if a couple wished to have a civil marriage at the castle, the trustees would have to apply for a licence from their local council. The trustees have decided not to do so, initially.

"They did not want civil ceremonies here and therefore there was no need to apply for a civil licence. That was as far as the discussion went. They did not get into the discussion of gay partnerships

Gay wedding row at Queen Mother's castle - The Scotsman

As Aleksandr the Meerkat says, simples!

Mermaid1962 03-26-2009 03:32 PM

I don't see a contradiction. Having servants who are homosexual is one thing; having gays or lesbians marry each other in one's home is quite another.:ermm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter (Post 912797)
It does seem a contradiction that QEQM surrounded herself with gay attendants and yet they cant marry there.

Pook 04-20-2009 09:26 AM

Sunninghill?

I read somewhere that Sunninghill was deserted and basically falling into ruin. What happened? I read that Andrew was selling the place, but why is it in such bad shape? It's not an old house, is it?
Did they run over budget and cut corners or what?
Purrs,
Pook

Skydragon 04-20-2009 09:58 AM

The swimming pools are covered in slime and weeds, doors hang off their hinges and the wind whistles through shattered windows.

The fall of the house of York: Why has the mansion sold by Duke in mystery £15m deal gone to ruin? | Mail Online

:flowers:

Roslyn 04-22-2009 06:12 PM

Like Pook, I would like to know why the place is falling apart. It was built new for the Yorks, wasn't it? Why does everything look so bad? Cheap materials? Shoddy workmanship? Being left vacant doesn't really explain it for me.

Skydragon 04-23-2009 05:38 AM

:previous: Any house, especially in the UK that isn't heated during the winter months is subject to damage. With nobody apparently bothering to check it, local wasters will smash windows and do quite a bit of damage for a laugh. Leaking drainpipes, missing roof tiles will add to the damp within the house, which in turn will cause wood to swell and rot away from the joints.
It is as you suggest, also possible that it was shoddy workmanship.:flowers:

Emeralds and Opals 05-23-2009 08:08 PM

Courtesy of BBC.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8064747.stm

"Linlithgow Palace party like 1503."

"King James IV married Pss Margaret of England in 1503 and that year also signed the 'Treaty of Perpetual Peace' with England."

Emeralds and Opals 09-06-2009 06:43 PM

Courtesy of Times.

Henry’s favourite palace does him proud - Times Online

"Henry’s favourite palace does him proud(Greenwich Palace)."

Emeralds and Opals 09-12-2009 05:26 PM

Royal palaces are 'beyond repair' - Telegraph

Emeralds and Opals 08-19-2010 01:04 PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-11029448

"Spanish tiles shed light on Tudor palace in Woking."

Vasillisos Markos 08-20-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emeralds and Opals (Post 1126075)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-11029448

"Spanish tiles shed light on Tudor palace in Woking."

sigh, I cannot open the link. :sad::bang::ohmy:

Cadiva 08-20-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos (Post 1126503)
sigh, I cannot open the link. :sad::bang::ohmy:

Try this one for the right link - BBC News - Spanish tiles shed light on Tudor palace in Woking

Vasillisos Markos 08-20-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadiva (Post 1126519)

Cadiva,

Thank you and welcome to the forum.:flowers:

VM

royski1 08-31-2010 05:49 PM

I have a question about the state of Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. We keep seeing these articles about how there is something like a 32 millon pound backlog of repairs for the buildings.

Back when there was the fire at Windsor Castle, they opened Buckingham Palace to the public, to pay for the hugh amount that it was going to cost to rebuild the castle. Is the money that they are still getting from the palace being open, still going towards those bills or was that all paid for long ago and if so what do they now do with that money?

I say it is disgusting to say that the Queen should pay for those repairs. If the UK was a republic(God Forbid) the government would still be paying the repairs to keep the buildings open for National Heratige and for the tourist. The government should just go ahead and fix the buildings. It is only going to get worst and more expensive the longer they leave it go.

pacomartin 02-21-2011 07:42 PM

I doubt that the Queen could spare 32 million pounds out of her personal fortune. She does not have that much money in liquid assets. Balmoral and Sandringham House compose the bulk of her personal fortune.

If Buckingham Palace become seriously unstable she would probably just stay at Windsor. I think she uses her personal money to decorate her private apartments at Windsor.

Carmen Jones 08-06-2011 07:49 AM

I have a question are their any picture of the royal lodge that is on the windsor estates - also known as the crown estate - any on windsor great park residences

muriel 08-10-2011 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmen jones (Post 1298941)
I have a question are their any picture of the royal lodge that is on the windsor estates - also known as the crown estate - any on windsor great park residences

See the thread on Royal Lodge, Windsor.

Elly C 09-11-2011 07:55 AM

There's a new series airing on BBC 1 tomorrow about the Royal Palaces
See link below

The Queen's Palaces

Lumutqueen 09-13-2011 11:57 AM

Recorded the first episode of The Queen's Palaces and had to turn it off after 10 minutes because Fiona Bruce just ruined it.

Elly C 09-13-2011 05:27 PM

I have mixed feelings about the first episode. It was lovely to get footage of rooms not normally open to the public such as the Oriental Room, and see drawings & designs of earlier versions of the palace (the colourful ballroom as originally intended for example). But why the long sequence in Venice? Yes it is a lovely city, but the large number of Canalettos in the Royal Collection is a feeble excuse for sending Fiona Bruce on a jolly ( we only got to see one canvas too).

Windsor Castle next week

Grandduchess24 12-30-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
Recorded the first episode of The Queen's Palaces and had to turn it off after 10 minutes because Fiona Bruce just ruined it.

I totally agree with you but I still enjoyed taking a glimpse on the inside of Buckingham palace, Windsor castle and holyrood house I just stared in. Awe at how glided the inside was I wasn't even paying attention to what she was saying:$

Rocketmom 06-22-2012 04:16 PM

Do the members of the royal family who live in some of the official residences pay rent to the crown? Will Harry, William and Kate own their apartments in Kensington? Pay rent? Or just live there because the Queen lets them? I've read that the Queen gave Andrew and Anne their estates, and Charles owns Highgrove, but what about the other residences they utilize?

Lumutqueen 06-22-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketmom (Post 1434169)
Do the members of the royal family who live in some of the official residences pay rent to the crown? Will Harry, William and Kate own their apartments in Kensington? Pay rent? Or just live there because the Queen lets them? I've read that the Queen gave Andrew and Anne their estates, and Charles owns Highgrove, but what about the other residences they utilize?

Gatcombe Park was a gift to Princess Anne after her first wedding, The Duke of York does not own Royal Lodge which is his current residence. Sunninghill Park his previous residence was bought by Crown Estate Commissioners on behalf of the Queen and later sold by the HM Land Registry.

Highgrove House was purchased by The Duchy of Cornwall not Prince Charles himself. Whatever revenue Highgrove makes I assume goes back to The Duchy.

As for the apartments royals have if we take The Kents for example at Kensington;

Quote:

In 2008, it was announced that to continue living from 2010 in their previously-subsidised Apartment 10, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent would be required to begin paying rent of £120,000 a year, the market rate of the five-bedroom, five-reception flat, rather than the nominal amount of £70 per week they had been paying for the previous seven years. Elizabeth II had previously been subsidising the £10,000 a month cost for the Kents to use their flat.[5] Members of Parliament on the palaces committee had demanded the change after the Kents' rent had come to light. The Kents have lived in the apartment since 1979, only paying their utility bills prior to 2002
I imagine The Queen helps out her family, and the residences pay a minimal amount towards where they are living.

Dman 01-22-2013 12:03 PM

The Queen's gardens:
The January 2013 weather has transformed the Royal Estate into a winter wonderland. The Royal Household's gardeners captured these snowy scenes whilst working in the central London grounds on 18 January 2013-
The Queen's gardens - a set on Flickr

An Ard Ri 01-22-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1507949)
The Queen's gardens:
The January 2013 weather has transformed the Royal Estate into a winter wonderland. The Royal Household's gardeners captured these snowy scenes whilst working in the central London grounds on 18 January 2013-
The Queen's gardens - a set on Flickr

I saw those earlier aren't they wonderful!

carlota 01-22-2013 01:53 PM

those are some great pictures of the fantastic gardens at buckingham. it's a shame they are not open to the public, although wikipedia tells me that in august and september they are open when visiting the palace. i wonder if that's every year. it's such a shame that being so large they can't be used by the public. seeing they are so big it should not be an issue to fence off a reasonable distance away from the palace, for the purposes of ensuring the security of the RF.

Garden at Buckingham Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i have also seen they were open for a picnic during the jubilee, and of course, they are open to those lucky to be invited for a garden party. does anyone else know when else the gardens can be visited?

Artemisia 01-22-2013 01:57 PM

:previous:
The gardens are definitely open to public in September. I've been at the Buckingham Palace twice in different years and both times we had a chance to visit the gardens. The gardens were the last stop of the guided tour and you could stay there for pretty much as long as you wanted (until the end of the visiting hours, of course). Although if I'm not mistaken, only the south side of the garden with views over the lake was open.

Queen Camilla 08-09-2013 08:24 PM

Does anyone know which building is larger in square feet Buckingham Palace or Kensington Palace?

Thanks

tommy100 08-10-2013 05:11 AM

I wouldn't bet my life on it but I know Buckingham Palace is mentioned as one of the largest royal palaces in the world and I've never heard that said of KP so I imagine BP must be the biggest. BP is 828,818 square feet.

Spheno 08-10-2013 06:15 AM

You can compare them visually

https://f15.ifotki.info/org/f92c9d735...5158789429.jpg
https://f15.ifotki.info/org/27571d45f...5158789429.jpg

An Ard Ri 08-10-2013 06:24 AM

World's largest palace

World's largest palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Harold 08-28-2013 02:30 PM

Are any of the British royal residences air conditioned?

(It occurs to me that I may have asked this before and simply forgot the answer. If so, I apologize.)

Dman 09-18-2013 08:09 PM

ROYAL RETREATS REVEALED: Where the Queen, Kate and William go to get away from it all...
ROYAL RETREATS REVEALED: Where the Queen, Kate and William go to get away from it all... | Royal | News | Daily Express

Dman 11-13-2013 11:49 PM

Brighton Pavilion £35m revamp plan announced-
BBC News - Brighton Pavilion £35m revamp plan announced

An Ard Ri 11-17-2013 08:53 AM

Queen Charlotte’s chair!

Queen Charlotte

royal-blue 01-01-2014 05:52 PM

I was reading today that the Queen Mum had 5 homes even at 100 years old which surprised me. I think if I was her I would have given up Clarence House and one of her two homes in Scotland. Based myself at Windsor and still have a holiday retreat north of the border.This would have reduced her expenditure, especially on staff, significantly.

Osipi 01-01-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royal-blue (Post 1629997)
I was reading today that the Queen Mum had 5 homes even at 100 years old which surprised me. I think if I was her I would have given up Clarence House and one of her two homes in Scotland. Based myself at Windsor and still have a holiday retreat north of the border.This would have reduced her expenditure, especially on staff, significantly.

Clarence House actually never belonged outright to the Queen Mum. She had Birkhall on the Balmoral estate which is now a residence of Charles and Camilla when they're in Scotland and one of her favorite abodes was the Castle of Mey which, I believe, is now open to the public. As far as Windsor goes, the Queen Mum had the Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate which is now where Andrew and Sarah are living (although Sarah is there by grace and favor of Andrew). The Queen Mum was never too far away from her family.

cepe 01-01-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 1630002)
Clarence House actually never belonged outright to the Queen Mum. She had Birkhall on the Balmoral estate which is now a residence of Charles and Camilla when they're in Scotland and one of her favorite abodes was the Castle of Mey which, I believe, is now open to the public. As far as Windsor goes, the Queen Mum had the Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate which is now where Andrew and Sarah are living (although Sarah is there by grace and favor of Andrew). The Queen Mum was never too far away from her family.

Birkhall is partof the Balmoral Estate and threfore owned by the Sovereign. The QM bought the Castle of Mey and restored it - Charles inherited and gave to Scottish Heritage, hence why it is open to the public.

I think royal-blue the queen would have agreed with your sentiments - the QM lived (and died) with a lot of debt which the Queen covered.

royal-blue 01-24-2014 09:30 AM

I haver noticed that whereas the Queen's cousins live in their palace aartments as their main residences, the Queen's children live primarily at their country homes and stay in London only for official business. was this always the case with the Queen's cousins?

Dman 04-06-2014 10:48 AM

Video:
The Glorious Georges- At Historic Royal Palaces 2014-
The Glorious Georges

tommy100 04-06-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royal-blue (Post 1635689)
I haver noticed that whereas the Queen's cousins live in their palace aartments as their main residences, the Queen's children live primarily at their country homes and stay in London only for official business. was this always the case with the Queen's cousins?

I've always thought this was for financial reasons. The Kents and Gloucesters traditionally had country houses (Coppins for the Kents before they leased Anmer Hall and Barnwall Manor for the Gloucesters which they now have either sold or lease out). By selling or leasing these residences out the family get money they need. I guess they had to make a choice between a country house or apartment in the capital,I guess a large, palace apartment for peppercorn rent won out in the end.

Furthermore the Queen's cousins all have children who are grown up and starting their own families so that might take away some of the usefulness in having a country house (where the children could grown up).

Dman 04-15-2014 02:06 PM

Video:
Hampton Court Palace is to commemorate the 300th anniversary of King George I’s accession to the throne, with a new exhibition and season of special events. ‘The Glorious Georges’ will run from 17 April through to 30 November, with organisers promising to bring to life, the intriguing characters that populated the Georgian Court. Interpretation Manager Jo Neill reveals the first Hanoverian monarch to rule England had a profound love of theatre, despite not being able to speak much English-
Home - ITNSource News

Dman 05-07-2014 04:15 PM

JUST ANNOUNCED: 888,246 ceramic poppies will fill the Tower of London’s moat to mark the First World War from 5 Aug pic.twitter.com/T29u1klvDw

AdmirerUS 05-07-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1663410)
JUST ANNOUNCED: 888,246 ceramic poppies will fill the Tower of London’s moat to mark the First World War from 5 Aug pic.twitter.com/T29u1klvDw

Thanks for posting this - I can't wait! But I will have to ;)

CyrilVladisla 05-12-2014 08:23 PM

King David I of Scotland built the Chapel of Saint Margaret in the precincts of Edinburgh Castle.
The chapel was built in honor of David's mother, Queen Margaret, the spouse of King Malcolm III.
In 1818, the newly married Duke and Duchess of Kent, Prince Edward and Princess Victoria, went to Claremont.
Prince Leopold, Victoria's brother and the widowed husband of Princess Charlotte of Wales, lent Claremont to the Kents for their honeymoon.
The Chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula of the Tower of London was built in the 12th century.
The chapel was remodeled in the 14th century and the 16th century.
In 1368 to 1372, the future King Robert II of Scots had David's Tower built at Edinburgh Castle.
In 1575, Queen Elizabeth I stayed in Longleat House in Wiltshire during her summer progress.
King Edward I stayed at Baynard Castle in Cottingham during Christmas of 1299. :poinsettia::poinsettia::poinsettia:

Dman 06-12-2014 09:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZLYthhFivw#t=14

Muhler 06-12-2014 09:44 AM

:previous: Thanks, dman.

I always enjoy his shows.
Somehow he manages to make a subject, that could easily become dull, very interesting.

Rocketmom 06-22-2014 12:34 PM

After Diana's death, where did William and Harry live? I know they were in boarding school much of the year but when at home was it St. James Palace with Charles, or Highgrove, or Kensington Palace with a nanny or some other caregiver? Or even some other place? And how is Diana's former apartment currently being used?

Skippyboo 06-22-2014 12:59 PM

In the summer, it was mostly Highgrove or Balmoral. Christmas would be Sandringham. Those were the Tiggy years. I believe that Diana's apt in KP became office space for the Prince's Trust if I recall.

muriel 07-08-2014 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketmom (Post 1679237)
After Diana's death, where did William and Harry live? I know they were in boarding school much of the year but when at home was it St. James Palace with Charles, or Highgrove, or Kensington Palace with a nanny or some other caregiver? Or even some other place? And how is Diana's former apartment currently being used?

When not at school, they lived with their father - be that at ST James' Palace (and later, Clarence House), Highgrove and Birkhall. In the holidays, they would visit Balmoral, Windsor and Sandringham

Dman 07-11-2014 03:20 PM

Thanks, Your Majesty! Bumper year for Queen as Royal Palaces bring in £55 MILLION-
Royal Palaces bring in £55million for Britain | Royal | News | Daily Express

An Ard Ri 07-16-2014 07:52 AM

Whitehall Palace

Find Out More About Inigo Jones - Banqueting House Architect

An Ard Ri 08-01-2014 05:37 PM

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI | Colossal

AuroraB 08-02-2014 05:37 PM

:previous:
Thank you for the link. The photographs make a powerful statement.

AdmirerUS 08-02-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1691679)
888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI

888,246 Ceramic Poppies Flow Like Blood from the Tower of London to Commemorate WWI | Colossal

This is probably one of my favorite ever modern art installations. Does anyone agree? :flowers: Is anyone buying one of the poppies? I just think think is a genius idea, great fundraising and stunning land art (the most known of which is probably the work of Christo - https://www.christojeanneclaude.net/ - though there are others).

CyrilVladisla 08-02-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1691679)

The poppies are extremely beautiful!!!
This is a creative way to show the general public about a reminder of lost lives.

Whitby Abbey was founded as a monastery in 657 by King Oswy of Northumbria to celebrate his victory over King Penda of Mercia.
In 664 the Synod of Whitby occurred at Whitby Abbey. At this conference the method for calculating Easter Sunday was decided.
:easter::easter::easter::easter::easter:
The Holbein Gate to the north of Whitehall Palace was a three-storey structure in a chequered pattern of stone and flint, adorned with portrait medallions probably by Giovanni da Maiano.
Orford Castle was built by King Henry II, as a coastal defense against possible invasion and to strengthen the King's hand against the Earl of Norfolk, Hugh Bigod. :castle:
In 1303 King Edward I had the Crown Regalia moved from Westminster Abbey to the Tower of London.
The Regalia has been on public show since the 1600s.

Rudolph 10-05-2014 09:48 AM

Ed Balls: Queen and Duchess of Cambridge will pay Labour's mansion tax - Telegraph
Quote:

he Queen and the royal family will have to pay a mansion tax on their portfolio of country estates if Labour is elected, Ed Balls has said. The shadow chancellor said that royals will not be exempt and will have to pay the taxes "just like everyone else" for properties which are not open to the public.

The Queen has paid income tax and capital gains tax for decades, but she and the Royal family are likely to be hit significantly harder by a mansion tax.

Under the plans, all properties worth more than £2million will face an average annual levy of around £12,000. However, labour said that more valuable properties will face a higher tax.

While Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, the Palace of Holyroodhouse, St James' Palace, Kensington Palace and Clarence House are likely to be exempt, other properties will be hit by the charge.

Skippyboo 10-05-2014 09:54 AM

General discussion about royal residences

None of the places listed are actually owned by the Queen. They are owned by the government. 2 million is pretty low with the housing prices in London. That would put most of the city in the extra tax zone.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Iluvbertie 10-05-2014 10:48 AM

I see a conflict in the story:

places 'not open to the public' won't be taxed but Sandringham will be - yet it is open most of the year - open more than BP is for instance.

I suspect that this story is wrong as the earlier version of the story I read, linked a page back, had the private premises subject to the tax but not the publicly owned ones.

Skippyboo 10-05-2014 11:02 AM

Most of the large ancestral great homes such as Chatsworth, Highclere, Althorp, etc are open to the public for parts of the year so is Balmoral, Sandringham and Highgrove. So they wouldn't be tax but a condo in Canary Wharf would?

cepe 10-05-2014 12:48 PM

:previous: What isnt clear is that are they talking about "The Sandringham Estate" - open to the public; or are they talking about individual homes within the estate?

In the former then the Queen would get a reduction in tax because the estate is open for the requisite minimum period. If it's the latter, then Anmer Hall would be taxed.

This isn't policy - its a proposal by a political party prior to the General Election next yr. And it isnt at the logical stage yet (if it ever gets there).

Skippyboo 10-05-2014 04:15 PM

You have to love the headline-

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nsion-tax.html

William and Kate don't actually own Amner Hall so the Queen would get their bill.

Rudolph 10-05-2014 04:33 PM

Senior members within Labour are not on board with balls. Just more typical Labour class warfare that won't stand up to scrutiny.

An Ard Ri 11-03-2014 05:03 PM

Tower Of London Poppies: Stunning Before And After Pictures Show 'Blood Swept Lands And Seas Of Red' In All Its Magnificent Glory

Tower Of London Poppies: Stunning Before And After Pictures Show 'Blood Swept Lands And Seas Of Red' In All Its Magnificent Glory

Curryong 11-22-2014 10:16 PM

Yes, from where the splendidly named Colonel Blood attempted to steal them in 1671. Charles II liked a rogue and had a sense of humour, so Blood was pardoned after his arrest!

royal-blue 04-06-2015 07:52 AM

What will happen to the current residences of the Kents and Gloucesters when they become vacant? There may not be any new royals ready to move in.

AdmirerUS 04-06-2015 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royal-blue (Post 1765378)
What will happen to the current residences of the Kents and Gloucesters when they become vacant? There may not be any new royals ready to move in.

Well, it will depend on when they become vacant. It may be years and years. No way to predict that.

Duc_et_Pair 04-06-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royal-blue (Post 1765378)

They all have an appartment at Kensington Palace at their disposal. The most logic would be that the disposal ends when the current Duke and Duchess of Gloucester as well the current Duke and Duchess of Kent dies.

Their sons will not become royal dukes, so I guess they will remain to live where they live now: the Earl of St Andrews in Cambridge and the Earl of Ulster in London. This means that the appartments in Kensington Palace will be free to house other royals (Princess Beatrice of York? Princess Eugenie of York? Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor? Lord James Mountbatten-Windsor, Viscount Severn?)

:flowers:

Curryong 04-06-2015 10:31 PM

And Harry may get Wren House eventually.

Thumbahlina 05-01-2015 03:45 PM

I don't know. Castles? While I think wow briefly, I realize they have help. Lots of help. People who are servants. Things that are not obtainable are particularly non intresting. But, in this case learning is an obtainable thing. Ok, so many people, these royals don't get to do a whole lot for themselves like you and I who spend time daily doing chores that we actually enjoy and value time doing at our own residences. What a loss that would be, to have it off limits. I couldn't imagine. But I have great empathy. How peculiar it would be to have servants. The castles look fantastic. But how sad and secluded? I do hope the royals enjoy the help. I hope the help behaves. I hope it isn't sad in there.

royal-blue 06-04-2015 04:31 PM

Obviously they are private citizens, but do the children of Princess Margaret and the children of the Queen's royal cousins require security where they live? Surely their neighbours would know they are related to the BRF and therefore are likely to be wealthy.

Iluvbertie 06-04-2015 04:57 PM

If they want security they can pay for it. The people who decide who needs security have decided that other than the Queen's children and Charles' descendants no one else needs full-time security and so they don't have it. That means that Sophie, for instance, only has security when she is doing official duties although Edward has it 24/7.

Andrew and Anne's children don't have taxpayer supplied security although Andrew pays for security for his daughters. The rest of the extended don't have it on a day to day basis.

The Gloucester's live at KP and so have the security around their home simply because of where they live and that also applies to the Michael's of Kent.