The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Swedish Royal Residences (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f226/)
-   -   Drottningholm Palace, Stockholm (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f226/drottningholm-palace-stockholm-18805.html)

Josefine 11-21-2002 06:00 AM

Drottningholm Palace, Stockholm

Drottningholm Palace

https://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...ttningholm.jpg

Drottningholm Palace has been the home of the Royal Family since 1981.
The name Drottningholm (literally "Queen's Island") originated in the late 16th century, when King Johan III built the first Palace on this site, for his Consort, Queen Katarina Jagellonika. The 16th century Palace was destroyed by fire on 30th December 1661. Earlier that year the Queen Dowager, Hedvig Eleonora, had bought the Palace.

After the fire, the architect Nikodemus Tessin the Elder was commissioned by the Queen Dowager to design a new building, and in 1662 work began on the Palace, as we know it today. At the time, Hedvig Eleonora headed the Regency for the young King Karl XI. The Peace of Westphalia in 1648 had made Sweden one of the most powerful states in Europe, and, according to the contemporary way of looking at things, the Queen, as head of the Government of Sweden, had to be provided with a suitably impressive residence at a convenient distance from the capital

The Palace was also given an exclusive French Baroque park, large parts of which have been preserved. The bronze sculptures in the park are by Adrian de Vries, one of the most eminent sculptors of the Northern European Renaissance. The collection came to Sweden as booty from Prague and from Fredriksborg Palace in Denmark.

Nicodemus Tessin the Elder created a number of interiors, which rank among the foremost in Sweden from the early Baroque of the 1660s and 1670s. They include the monumental staircase, the Ehrenstrahl Drawing Room and, not least, Hedvig Eleonora's State Bedchamber. Following the death of Tessin the Elder in 1682, his son Nicodemus Tessin the Younger carried on and completed the great project. Karl XI's gallery, for example, dates from this period.

Drottningholm remained the residence of the royal ladies, and in 1744 it was given as a wedding present to Princess Lovisa Ulrika of Prussia, on her marriage to the Swedish heir apparent, Adolf Fredrik. Lovisa Ulrika's time at Drottning-holm became a golden age of the arts. Some of the interiors of the Palace - Lovisa Ulrika's Green Antechamber, for example - were redecorated in a French-inspired Rococo style.

Many of the leading scientists of the age gathered at Drottningholm. Carl von Linné (Linnaeus) worked here, cataloguing the royal collections' "natural objects". Lovisa Ulrika's library stands out as a brilliant memento of the period, which also saw the creation of the famous Drottningholm Court Theatre

Drottningholm was purchased by the State in 1777, becoming the home of Gustav III. The great romantic "English Park" still surrounding the Baroque Palace and the French formal garden was created at this time.

Josefine 01-31-2003 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Josefine 01-31-2003 03:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
-----

----

''''

Helen88 09-05-2003 06:03 PM

In which part does the family live?
Are there pictures from the inside?

ficciones 09-05-2003 07:25 PM

A guide to Stockholm with a diagram of the palace says that the family's apartments are in the west wing facing the formal gardens, not the lake.

Yennie 09-06-2003 07:08 AM

The family lives in the wing close to the water

Helen88 09-06-2003 01:44 PM

That doesnt seem to big then...How many sqmetres do they have...? Does anyone know? I heard about 22 rooms.

Alva 09-07-2003 01:58 PM

I have read somewhere that CP Victoria has her own appartment of 3 rooms and a kitchen in the same wing, with one (parttime?) servant/ maid to cook and clean and so on for her.

Yennie 09-07-2003 05:36 PM

Yes its true that Victoria lives in an own apartment. So does Madeleine and Carl Philip but they live in the actual palace. Victorias apartment is in a smaller house close to the palace. I don´t know if you can see it on the pictures...
Dont know for sure if she has any servants.
I doubt she has one... maybe someone who clean the apartment and things like that, but she´s said that she likes to eat breakfast on her own and that she enjoys having friends over for dinner.

Lena 09-07-2003 07:08 PM

I wonder how much she still is in her "apartment". She travels a lot, and I guess, when she´s at home she´s rather at Daniel´s home :P

Yennie 09-08-2003 07:54 AM

Yeah, she probobly spends a lot of time with Daniel in his apartment. Just like Madeleine and Carl Philip spends most of their time with Jonas and Emma.

Looks like the royal couple is all alone at Drottningholm now :P

hrhcp 11-14-2003 07:06 PM

I toured the east half of Drottningsholm Palace that is open to the tourists and was struck by how thick the walls are between the rooms.

On closer inspection, a number of walls at the doors into the rooms had their own doors .... for servant's use I suppose? ... or for inquisitive paparazzi ?

Helen88 11-16-2003 03:20 PM

Are there any plans of Drottningholm? I saw some pictures on old books (1980, 1981) where Silvia was holding plans of Drottningholm.

kelly9480 12-25-2003 06:55 PM

Does the standard fly at Drottningholm when CG is in the country? When he is in residence at the Palace (meaning that's where he comes home every night, rather than another residence)? Or only when he is in the building?

GrandDuchess 07-07-2004 04:30 PM

7 Attachment(s)
From Corbis:

Golden Gateway Ornamentation
Painting
Chinese Painting
Chinese Pavilion
The Drottningholm Theater stage
Room With Painted Ceiling
Chinese Style Interior Room
A bell tower projects from the roof of the Chinese Pavilion
A blanket of snow covers gardens surrounding the Chinese Pavilion
Aerial View

From the Drottningholm Palace broschure:

DKgirls 08-17-2004 09:16 AM

Wow, it all looks great!

We visited the Royal Palace in Stockholm and Drottningholm this summer when we were in Sweden and really liked it! We were inside of Drottningholm and it was so exciting :)

Josefine 12-08-2004 06:07 AM

thabk you for the photos.

i would like to know if there is a church in drottningholm castle as it is one iin the royal palace

Yennie 12-08-2004 08:36 AM

Yes, there is a church at Drottningholm. On christmas day the royal family goes to the mass(sp?) there.

this is what it says on www.royalcourt.se

DROTTNINGHOLMS SLOTTSKYRKA
Slottskyrkan invigdes i maj 1746. Under kyrkans drygt 250-åriga historia har det kontinuerligt hållits förrättningar. Slottskyrkan används idag av Lovö församling som håller högmässa sista söndagen varje månad.

GrandDuchess 12-21-2004 05:18 AM

10 Attachment(s)
My pictures of the palaces I visited this past summer and then added pictures off are taking a bit much of my bandwidth at Photobucket. I will let the broschure and Corbis pics be in my earlier posts be, but I will now re-post the pictures I took myself of the palaces as attachments.

My pictures of Drottningholm Palace from 7 July 2004 - Part 1:

GrandDuchess 12-21-2004 05:21 AM

10 Attachment(s)
My pictures of the palaces I visited this past summer and then added pictures off are taking a bit much of my bandwidth at Photobucket. I will let the broschure and Corbis pics be in my earlier posts be, but I will now re-post the pictures I took myself of the palaces as attachments.

My pictures of Drottningholm Palace from 7 July 2004 - Part 2:

GrandDuchess 12-21-2004 05:23 AM

6 Attachment(s)

My pictures of Drottningholm Palace from 7 July 2004 - Part 3:

Helen88 01-26-2005 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
As I noted in earlier posts, Villa Solbacken is the home of Princess Lilian.

Oh! I thought she lived with the Family at Drottningholm. By the way, is the part in which the Royal Family lives the same size, shape, rooms etc as the one you can visit?

Yennie 01-26-2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen88
Oh! I thought she lived with the Family at Drottningholm. By the way, is the part in which the Royal Family lives the same size, shape, rooms etc as the one you can visit?

no one knows for sure, as the press almost never is allowed to film there.
But I know that when the royal family moved there in 1982, alot of things was beeing done. They had to get modern electricity, water and so on. And perhaps they changed the apartment to, like make the rooms smaller/bigger etc...

Josefine 01-26-2005 11:05 AM

as i understand victoiria lives at a wing near the lake its on drottningholm estate but its not conected with the castle
i saw something about that at ritvas page in the magazines i thought she lived in a apartment in the castle

GrandDuchess 01-26-2005 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen88

Crown Princess Victoria lives in a wing (Sjöflygeln, translates to the See Wing) , which lies just by the water next to Drottningholm Palace.

The King and Queen live in Drottningholm Palace. There are some parts in the palace that the public is allowed to visit, but the majority of the rooms are shut off to visitors. The royal couple have a large apartment in the palace.

hrhcp 01-27-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

There are some parts in the palace that the public is allowed to visit, but the majority of the rooms are shut off to visitors. The royal couple have a large apartment in the palace.

That contradicts my memories ..... I got the impression in 2000 that the east HALF of the palace is open to the public, while the west half is private.

This division is respected by a dinky fence in the formal garden to the north of the palace.

Yennie 01-27-2005 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrhcp
That contradicts my memories ..... I got the impression in 2000 that the east HALF of the palace is open to the public, while the west half is private.
This division is respected by a dinky fence in the formal garden to the north of the palace.

True, half of the palace is open to the public, but I dont think that includes all rooms in that half.

btw, I read somewhere that the royal familys apartment includes about 30 rooms... thats alot for 5 / 2 persons :)

GrandDuchess 01-28-2005 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie
True, half of the palace is open to the public, but I dont think that includes all rooms in that half.

btw, I read somewhere that the royal familys apartment includes about 30 rooms... thats alot for 5 / 2 persons :)

Yes, it looks like half of the palace is open to visitors - but not all the rooms on the half that tourists can visit are open - quite a large part is closed off to visitors beyond the rooms one can walk through.

And yes, the King and Queen's private apartment is very large - I've also read or heard that it's about 30 rooms big.

mixer2002de 01-28-2005 10:36 AM

Quote:

And yes, the King and Queen's private apartment is very large - I've also read or heard that it's about 30 rooms big.

I think he needs all the space to keep all the presents he gets as the head of state on state visits etc :)

Josefine 02-16-2005 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
drottningholm palace

this is the stensalongen and it shows how it looked during Gustaf VI Adolf lived there and it is now a livingroom
this room is also the living room for the king and queen but it looks different
they live in the south wing
drottningholm has 220 rooms the king and queen uses about 20 rooms for their apartment but many of them are guests rooms and only is of useed sometimes
they have renovated but not changed any blue prints

in early 80's there was 10 that worked for the royal couple but not 24/7

Madeleine was the first royal born there since Gustaf V 1858

GrandDuchess 06-25-2005 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On this picture you can see where Crown Princess Victoria's "Sjöflygeln" (the Sea Wing) is located at Drottningholm. Clip from Svensk Damtidning.

Yennie 01-11-2006 05:09 PM

Tonight a show called "Kalla fakta" made a programme about the King and his estate affairs. A little critical but still very neutral I think...

they talked about how the king has done very sucessful affairs, selling property to his own company and then sell it again and because of that he didn´t had to pay any taxes.

I took some caps of the show, very beautiful photos of the castles taken from some angles I had never seen before...

all caps from Kalla Fakta on Tv 4

Drottningholm
https://img363.imageshack.us/img363/7...37221yb.th.jpg

Lena 01-11-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yennie

they talked about how the king has done very sucessful affairs, selling property to his own company and then sell it again and because of that he didn´t had top pay any taxes.

Thank you Yennie for the infos and pics.
Now I´ve no doubts anymore, that the king and Daniel Westling get along quite well :p

Yennie 03-26-2006 06:17 AM

Here a photo of Drottningholm palace from a different view. You can see the royal family´s private "garden" and their boat...

its a very pretty home I must say :)

https://img124.imageshack.us/img124/3...holm7pz.th.jpg
photo from eniro

Daneborn 03-26-2006 05:54 PM

Yennie; about the satellite pic of Drottningholm:
I believe when we commoners approach Drottningholm we walk from the upper right corner ?? It would mean the private part of the castle is the lower quadrant, close to the boat, and also close to the seawing, where Victoria lives. Also, if you check closely to the right side of the inner garden within the lower quadrant I believe I can see a swimming pool.

If I'm not mistaken the swimming pool was the people's gift to Queen Silvia when she turned 50 or 40.

rani 03-26-2006 08:36 PM

I was fortunate when attending a conference in Stockholm to go on a tour of the old town,the royal palace,and Drottingholm Palace. The tour guides joked that the royal family of the time bought all the Baroque furniture when the styles changed in France. What was great to see was the untouched style and most of all,the efforts made to preserve the fabrics and buildings. The theatre at Drottnigholm was marvelous.

GrandDuchess 03-27-2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daneborn
I believe when we commoners approach Drottningholm we walk from the upper right corner ?? It would mean the private part of the castle is the lower quadrant, close to the boat, and also close to the seawing, where Victoria lives. Also, if you check closely to the right side of the inner garden within the lower quadrant I believe I can see a swimming pool.

Yes, that's correct. And since the whole "terrace" thing in front of the palace is closed off, it's very hard to get any hints on how their private outdoors area is. But I'm sure it's very beautiful and lovely, one can imagine so with the little "bathing house" they have and the boat docked there and all, and when the children were younger they played in a sandbox just outside (in the private parts of the court yard I believe). One can of course walk in that direction in the park, but one can't get very close or see much either (believe me, I've tried :D )

The parts that are open to the public are quite limited as well though. There are many rooms that we don't have any access too and which the royals themselves are only allowed to be in and use.

agnessa 06-29-2007 12:37 PM

Hello! I have heard that Sweden royal family lives in Drottningholm and this castle and parks are opened for public all time. I'm just curious how royal family gets their privacy when they walk in the garden example? And also I would like know how far from old town Drottningholm is?

Stefan 07-24-2007 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agnessa (Post 633429)
Hello! I have heard that Sweden royal family lives in Drottningholm and this castle and parks are opened for public all time. I'm just curious how royal family gets their privacy when they walk in the garden example? And also I would like know how far from old town Drottningholm is?

I was there last year. If you come to the Castle you walk through the small Park before it until the stairs to the Main-Entrance, the other part is closed. The same behind the Castle the part direct before the Castle is all closed until the big fountain, from there the one side is open and the side where there is the Wing of the Royal Family is closed fo the Public.

JessRulz 11-01-2008 04:55 AM

Some lovely pictures from Corbis

The Palace
The Palace and the Gardens
The Palace and the Gardens 2
The Palace 2
The Palace and the Water
The Palace 3
The Palace and the Fountain
The Palace 4
The Palace, the Fountain and the Gardens
Long shot of the Palace from the water
Aerial shot of the Palace grounds

Chinese Pavillion
Chinese Pavillion Close-Up
Chinese Pavillion in the Winter

The Theatre
The Theatre 2

The Palace Courtyard

Josefine 04-29-2009 03:00 AM

from youtube
YouTube - Drottningholm Stockholm (Stereo)

Josefine 04-29-2009 03:03 AM

a video from drottingholm
youtube
YouTube - Stockholm Drottningholms slott (The Drottningholm Palace)

YouTube - Global Treasures DROTTNINGHOLM PALACE Drottingholm Slott Sw

it takes a while until the photos of drottningholms shows
YouTube - Drottningholm Stockholm (Stereo)

Marcos35 08-06-2009 06:17 PM

Royal family privacy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan (Post 845686)
I was there last year. If you come to the Castle you walk through the small Park before it until the stairs to the Main-Entrance, the other part is closed. The same behind the Castle the part direct before the Castle is all closed until the big fountain, from there the one side is open and the side where there is the Wing of the Royal Family is closed fo the Public.

Hi Stefan I am new in this Forum. Very interesting, by the way.
Drottninghlm Palace is my favorite palace in Europe! I have some questions about the privacy of the Royal Family. What happens if princess Victoria want to go from her personal house to the palace? the people would see her? there is any underground connection or something like that? there is any fence or wall which separate the familiar -private garden of the front terrace ? another questions: the main entrance for the public is at the lake side or at the garden side of the palace?Last question:do you know if the private wing begins in the half palace line or only the south inner court-yard building with the Dome-building?

Thanks Stefan!!

haga 09-30-2009 03:48 AM

I stumbled across this site, I thought it was neat, almost like you're standing there.
www.360cities.net/image/drottningholm-palace-...

rop81 03-15-2010 05:26 PM

In this video you get a nice view of Drottningholm from the air
YouTube - HRH CrownPrincess Victoria & Daniel Westling - Wedding Announcement (VIC 32 04 B)

haga 03-28-2010 07:10 PM

Beautiful palace! I think Drottningholm is my favorite!

haga 06-03-2010 02:42 PM

Could anybody tell me where the family enters? It can't be the central block since they live near the small boat the king docks. What kind of boat this that anyway?

cd_1 06-07-2010 03:56 AM

are there any pictures of their private bedrooms/living quarters? does Madeleine live here as well after her broken engagement? and where does Carl Philip live?

rop81 06-08-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd_1 (Post 1090275)
are there any pictures of their private bedrooms/living quarters? does Madeleine live here as well after her broken engagement? and where does Carl Philip live?

No there are no photos from their private part of the palace - i don´t think that they have ever shown that part of the palace to the media.
I guess that Madeleine livs in her apartment at the royal mews - where she and Jonas used to live. Carl-Philip i´m not sure about but i belive i´ve heard that he has an apartment in a building across the Royal Palace.

cd_1 06-08-2010 04:40 PM

i think i once saw a picture of Victoria standing next to her giant four poster bed. But maybe its just my imagination:S. it was in a magazine...

lilnana 06-08-2010 09:40 PM

I know which one your talking about, shes in a pink gown and tiara, so it wasn't your imagination. :lol: But I don't think it was her bed, but rather a room that was decided would make for a good photo.

Rascal 06-09-2010 06:50 AM

Yes, that photo was a staged photo op in one of the historical bedrooms for an article in Vanity Fair about the younger generation of royals. Victoria is wearing the Baden Fringe tiara and a pink gown while leaning on what looks like a marble rail, behind which is the huge ornate bed. Victoria's pet dog is seated at her feet. In the same issue was a picture of Carl-Philip and Madeleine seated on ornate antique chairs outside somewhere (maybe in the gardens) but posed very casually (no tie for CP, Madde's feet up on the armrest of CP's chair).

Rascal

Lumutqueen 06-09-2010 10:02 AM

Young Royals - Vanity Fair September 2003/Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

This picture is the one I think.

And Prince CP and Princess Madeleine.
Young Royals - Vanity Fair September 2003/Vanity Fair Photo

Rascal 06-09-2010 10:35 AM

Those are the pics Lumutqueen...thanks for the links.:flowers:

haga 06-29-2010 11:11 PM

Here are several nice areal views of the palace.
tours-tv.com/en/Drottningholm-Palace

haga 07-29-2010 09:06 PM

Would anybody happen to know

What room Princess Madeleine was born in?
How many flights of stairs there are to the staircase?
Which door do they enter and leave through?

Just questions I've had in the back of my mind for a long while if anybody has the answers to.

haga 08-06-2010 03:42 PM

Talks about the Kina Slott at Drottningsholms Slott

Kungahuset.se- Royalcourt.se- Inbrott på Drottningholm | Kungliga Nyheter | Följ Kungafamiljen

ortiz 02-17-2011 04:33 AM

I love this photograph of Drottningholm Palace because the clouds hovering directly over it are so lovely! (It's picture 9) The palace itself is truly one of the most beautiful and so are its gardens.

11 Famous Official Residences | Touropia

Josefine 12-09-2011 03:52 PM

here is were victoria lived before she and daniel moved to haga castle
https://jennyalexandersson.blogg.se/i...3_17714127.jpg

https://jennyalexandersson.blogg.se/i...5_34310178.jpg

LadyFinn 02-06-2013 02:25 PM

Some photos from the Chinese Pavilion
Kina slott « Staffans blogg

The Chinese Pavilion - Sveriges Kungahus

LadyFinn 06-02-2013 04:55 AM

Photos of Drottningholm Palace, taken on 16th May 2013 by photographer Charles Hammarsten.
IBL Bildbyrå gallery

Seven panorama photos from the Drottningholm Palace park, it is just like you would be walking there yourself.
Drottningholm palace park | Virtualsweden

An Ard Ri 07-05-2013 04:50 PM

Lovely photo's of the Drottningholm Palace,I much prefer it to the Stockholm Royal Palace.

Loyalist 09-19-2013 10:12 PM

Just think.....this is the place where (That Woman ) Sofia will lay her tiara... just let that marinate for a minute.

An Ard Ri 12-23-2013 03:28 PM

I'd never paid much attention to the Palace Gardens or Park before thanks for posting!

CyrilVladisla 03-30-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandDuchess (Post 845662)

My pictures of Drottningholm Palace from 7 July 2004 - Part 1:

GrandDuchess, These are very stately pictures of Drottningholm Palace.

LadyFinn 08-17-2014 01:20 AM

Video about Drottningholm and Chinese Pavillion (a part of german TV-programme)
Drottningholm, Schweden, Folge 147 ARD Mediathek

Panoramas
Hedvig Eleonora's Parade Bedroom
Drottningholm, Hedvig Elonoras parade bedroom | Virtualsweden
Hall of State in Drottningholm
Drottningholm, Hall of state | Virtualsweden

SElizabeth 09-19-2014 04:21 AM

:previous:Thank you for the videos of the palace, the blue bedroom, I like my bedroom so much more, that room is cold and uncomfortable looking, imagine waking up and having dozens of people looking at you, yikes, close the curtains and everyone leave now I say...I need to get dressed and have my coffee on the double....:lol::lol::lol:

loveSwede 01-09-2015 03:40 PM

https://www.seher.no/sites/seher.no/f...?itok=KDWKkwui

Beautiful shot of, I assume, the private wing and garden of Drottningholm Castle

But could someone tell me what the square glass-looking thing in the private garden it's rather large and on the upper left corner?

LadyFinn 04-30-2015 09:02 AM

Photo from Tuesday
"Did you know that Stockholm is not Nationalmuseum’s only location? The museum is responsible for collections of fine art and applied art at various castles, palaces, manor houses and museums around Sweden. In this image, a contemporary bronze cast from an original by Adriaen de Vries is being placed in front of Drottningholm Palace."
https://www.facebook.com/nationalmus...type=1&theater

A couple of photos from the Chinese Pavilion
https://wordpress2.lrfmedia.se/godsoc...4/KINSLOTT.jpg
https://godsochgardar.se/wp-content/u...5/04/KINA2.jpg

Panorama from one of the salons
Drottningholm Palace, the Green salon _ Virtualsweden
Queen Lovisa Ulrika's Library
Drottningholm Palace, Lovisa Ulrikas library room _ Virtualsweden

Gorgeous photo, from Expressen's website
https://cdnmo.coveritlive.com/media/i...6j4tgimage.jpg

LadyFinn 08-14-2015 02:21 AM

A great german documentary of the Drottningholm Palace park. They show how the courtyard of the Palace is prepared to princess Leonore's christening, a big "L" is made of flowers. Queen Silvia has been interviewed. Chinese Pavilion is shown from inside too, and some rooms of the Palace. And the season of the Drottningholm Palace Theatre is opened with opera. They show how the "technology" at the old Theatre works. Painter Peter Tucker has his small paintings at the park. He loves the park, he has found a piece of his british homeland in the far north.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBV_3-zPAHw

The royal court published on it's Instagram on Friday a photo from the Drottningholm Palace park:
The labyrinth of English park has reemerged, but in a new form. It is no longer surrounded by high hedges as at Gustav III's time, but the goal is the same, to reach the midpoint.
https://instagram.com/p/6XQ7kiP8s9/?taken-by=kungahuset

fortimo 08-15-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 1810058)
A great german documentary of the Drottningholm Palace park. They show how the courtyard of the Palace is prepared to princess Leonore's christening, a big "L" is made of flowers. Queen Silvia has been interviewed. Chinese Pavilion is shown from inside too, and some rooms of the Palace. And the season of the Drottningholm Palace Theatre is opened with opera. They show how the "technology" at the old Theatre works. Painter Peter Tucker has his small paintings at the park. He loves the park, he has found a piece of his british homeland in the far north.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBV_3-zPAHw

The royal court published on it's Instagram on Friday a photo from the Drottningholm Palace park:
The labyrinth of English park has reemerged, but in a new form. It is no longer surrounded by high hedges as at Gustav III's time, but the goal is the same, to reach the midpoint.
https://instagram.com/p/6XQ7kiP8s9/?taken-by=kungahuset

I think this documentary was shown in Youtube and is deleted now, but on german NDR you can see yet:
Der schwedische Traum vom Paradies | NDR.de - Fernsehen - Sendungen A-Z - Länder - Menschen - Abenteuer

loveSwede 10-17-2015 05:06 PM

A tour with the King of Drottningholm

Kungen visar Drottningholm | Gods & Gårdar

LadyFinn 11-13-2015 10:42 AM

The court updated this photo to their Instagram today
A beautiful autumn day - Drottningholm Palace Garden is perfect for a walk.
https://instagram.com/p/-BqtnHv8o_/?taken-by=kungahuset

LadyFinn 01-05-2016 09:38 AM

Photos from the Instagram of Håkan Groth, a photographer and antique handler

Queen Hedvig Eleonora's state bedchamber
https://www.instagram.com/p/_-sl1Klr...by=hakan_groth
The staircase
https://www.instagram.com/p/94S_dZFr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/94QFkTlr...by=hakan_groth
The Green Salon
https://www.instagram.com/p/_-qpQhlr...by=hakan_groth
The coat of arms of Queen Hedvig Eleonora in the entrance to Drottningholm Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/95CcFblr...by=hakan_groth
Overdoor in the Chinese Salon
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAHKJV8l...by=hakan_groth

https://www.instagram.com/p/9217U8lr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/922deRlr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/94djOxFr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/95ic_xFr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/95C67Blr...by=hakan_groth

Portraits at Drottningholm Palace of Gustaf III (1746-92) painted posthumously in 1798 by Carl Fredric von Breda and that of his wife Queen Sophia Magdalena (1746-1813) by Alexander Roslin painted in 1774.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAMNbn7l...by=hakan_groth
The Chinese Salon
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAIEGxTF...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 03-10-2016 02:09 AM

Photos from the Instagram of Håkan Groth, a photographer and antique dealer and expert.
The Chinese Pavilion in the park at Drottningholm Palace in Sweden was built by Carl Fredric Adelcrantz for Queen Lovisa Ulrica in 1763-69. It replaced an earlier smaller pavilion built in wood that had been built as a surprise for the queen by her husband King Adolf Fredric and presented to her on her birthday 24 July 1753. It is European fantasy in the Rococo style of how a Chinese building might look. The royal family loved the building and it has survived remarkably unchanged.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCuYojxl...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCuZrLPF...by=hakan_groth
A detail of the décor above the entrance door to the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm built 1763-69. The dragons support a balcony.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCuaQTUl...by=hakan_groth
A detail of the décor above the windows of the Chinese Pavilion
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCuakdUl...by=hakan_groth
A separate house was built as a private dining room the 'Confidence' for the royal family at the Chinese Pavilion, Drottningholm. The kitchen is below and the table was set in the room below and was sent up through the floor. Food was delivered by dumbwaiters in the corners of the room. Here the royals and their closest friends could dine in private without servants eavesdropping.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCvV3F3F...by=hakan_groth
The bell- and clock tower at the Chinese Pavillion at Drottningholm sits above King Adolf Fredric's private pavillion completed 1760 by Carl Fredric Adelcrantz.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCvWRoEF...by=hakan_groth
The octagonal Marble Hall in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm was decorated in 1760's with walls in stucco lustro.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCv-IXdF...by=hakan_groth
One of the gilt metal decorations in the Marble Hall in the Chinese Pavilion
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCv-VrZF...by=hakan_groth
The Mirror Salon in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm is the room that has the least Chinese influence here. The Gustavian chairs made c 1770-1780 covered with a hand painted Chinese 18th century silk were brought here in the 1840's by Oscar I.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCw2MnOl...by=hakan_groth
A detail of the carved and gilded décor designed by Carl Fredric Adelcrantz above one of the mirrors in the Mirror Salon in the Chinese Pavilion
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCw2ejgF...by=hakan_groth
Queen Lovisa Ulrica's Bedroom in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm. The queen never slept here and there was never a bed here, just the small sofa to the left. This was her most private room where she would retire to have a rest as the pavilion was only intended for daytime visits. All the furniture as well as the silk on the walls is original from the 1760's
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCw4Z6Kl...by=hakan_groth
The small sofa in the Queen's Bedroom
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCw4uGsF...by=hakan_groth
A Chinese lacquer cabinet on a Swedish Louis XV stand from the 1760's in the Queen's Bedroom in the Chinese Pavilion
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCw5F5Bl...by=hakan_groth
The Queen's Study in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm. The embroidery on the panels were made by Queen Lovisa Ulrica and her ladies-in-waiting in the 1760's. The two blue and white Chinese Ming lidded urns once belonged to Queen Christina of Sweden.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCx1VULF...by=hakan_groth
A painted Chinese glass panel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCyf97Il...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 03-12-2016 12:43 AM

Photos from the Instagram of Håkan Groth, a photographer and antique dealer and expert.
A watercolour by the architect Carl Fredric Adelcrantz from the 1760's of the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm. This drawing was sent by Queen Lovisa Ulrica to her brother King Fredrick the Great of Prussia in Berlin.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCztq_UF...by=hakan_groth
A plan over the Chinese Pavilion in the park at Drottningholm dated 1779, two years after Gustaf III had bought the estate from his mother the Dowager Queen Lovisa Ulrica. 1 the main pavilion, 2 storage for silver, china and glass, 3 Billiard Pavilion, 4 the King's Pavilion, 5 the 'Confidence' dining pavilion, 6 the kitchen.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC0ZNL0F...by=hakan_groth

The Green Salon in the Chinese Salon at Drottningholm was decorated by Johan Pasch with motifs inspired by engravings by François Boucher. The stools are still covered with their original green leather from the 1760's.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCzsvqwF...by=hakan_groth
The Green Salon in the Chinese Salon at Drottningholm was decorated by Johan Pasch with motifs inspired by engravings by François Boucher. The couple to the left in the painting seem, rather disturbingly, to be holding an animal (a cat?) over a cooking pot.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCztIulF...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC1B8V4l...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCztNxql...by=hakan_groth
The Red Cabinet in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm is the only room in the pavilion that shows similarity to a genuine Chinese interior. It is based on an interior published in Sir William Chambers' work 'Designs of Chinese Buildings, Furniture...' The black lacquer panels comes from a Chinese screen.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC1HmY6l...by=hakan_groth
An usually elaborate LouisXV corner console table (one of four) made in Stockholm in the 1750's for Drottningholm Palace and transferred to the Chinese Pavilion in 1760's. It was probably carved by a French craftsman working at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC1IQrnl...by=hakan_groth
A Swedish Louis XV (Rococo) ormolu chandelier in the Red Cabinet in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC1IuVql...by=hakan_groth
The unique set of stools in the Chinese Pavilion were made in the 1760's in a style that was considered 'Chinese' at the time.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC1JCXXF...by=hakan_groth
The Yellow Cabinet in the Chinese Pavilion, Drottningholm, has lacquer panels from a Chinese screen fitted into the panelling. The overdoors were painted by Johan Pasch after François Boucher.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC2V842l...by=hakan_groth
A Chinese mirror painting in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC2WSe5F...by=hakan_groth
A stool from the unique series of stools made for the Chinese Pavilion were made in the 1760's in a style that was considered 'Chinese' at the time. The hand painted silk was replaced during the 1960's restoration
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC2WyTHl...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 03-13-2016 03:47 AM

The Green Gallery in the Chinese Pavilion. The landscape paintings that adorned wall are sadly missing, but the original curved benches are still in situ
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC2pMgQF...by=hakan_groth
The Yellow Gallery in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm. The landscape paintings that adorned wall are sadly missing like inte Green Gallery.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC2pYb_F...by=hakan_groth
One of the two overdoor paintings by Johan Pasch in the Yellow Gallery in the Chinese Pavilion.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC2ppiDl...by=hakan_groth
One of the simple but elegantly curved benches in the Yellow Gallery in the Chinese Pavilion
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC2pxC_F...by=hakan_groth
The Blue Salon in the Chinese Pavilion was also used as a dining room. Each room in the pavilion is decorated in a contrasting colour to the preceding one. The walls were decorated by Johan Pasch with Chinoiseries after engravings by François Boucher. The dining chairs are original to the room that originally had a stone floor.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3QIDCl...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3Q53-l...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3Q9HUF...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3Q_aAl...by=hakan_groth
Queen Lovisa Ulrica of Sweden (1720-82) by the Prussian court painter Antoine Pesne. The Queen was a sister of Fredric the Great of Prussia and married to King Adolf Fredric of Sweden. She was a great patron of the arts and she and her husband had the Chinese Pavilion built in the park at Drottningholm Palace in the 1760's. There was one problem in this otherwise very happy marriage. The queen wanted power to rule, but the Parliament had the power and her husband the king was a mere figurehead. They tried to stage a coup d'etat to take power in 1756. This failed and her closest supporters were executed and the royal couple were humiliated. A name stamp was used if the King refused to sign state documents he didn't agree with.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3sowZF...by=hakan_groth
The Octagonal Room in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm still has the original hand painted, albeit faded, Chinese silk on the walls. The upstairs rooms in the pavilion were private and the court was only allowed up here if invited.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC3104-F...by=hakan_groth
A detail of the original 18th century hand painted Chinese silk on the walls in the upstairs Octagonal Room in the Chinese Pavilion
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC32IjDl...by=hakan_groth
One of the Swedish Louis XV armchairs in the upstairs Octagonal Salon in the Chinese Pavilion
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC32ao2l...by=hakan_groth
One of the small private rooms upstairs in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm with original hand painted Chinese wallpaper from the 1760's. Through the open jib-door the gilt wood Royal 'chaise percée' is visible.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC322Wnl...by=hakan_groth

eya 03-13-2016 05:10 AM

Lady Finn the Drottningholm Palace it opens to the public?

LadyFinn 03-13-2016 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 1871211)
Lady Finn the Drottningholm Palace it opens to the public?

Info about the Drottningholm Palace
The Palace - Sveriges Kungahus
Opening hours
Opening hours, Admissions, Guided tours - Sveriges Kungahus
Visitor's Centre and Restaurant - Sveriges Kungahus

Duc_et_Pair 03-13-2016 05:46 AM

Thanks to Lady Finn for the great pictures. Drottningholm Palace has such a soft touch, not so martial in appearance and interior. Very nice. Hopefully the missing panelling in some salons can be reconstructed.

Eya: it is open for visits indeed: Drottningholm Palace - Sveriges Kungahus

Kingen 03-13-2016 06:33 AM

The pictures are not of Drottning Palace itself, but of the Chinese Pavillon on the grounds of Drottningholm.

The Chinese Pavilion - Sveriges Kungahus

LadyFinn 03-14-2016 02:01 PM

Still some photos from the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm from the Instagram of Håkan Groth, a photographer and antique dealer and expert.

Another of the small private rooms upstairs in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm. The hand painted Chinese silk on the walls is original from the 1760's when the pavilion was built by Carl Fredric Adelcrantz for Queen Lovisa Ulrica and her family.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4xiSDF...by=hakan_groth
A Swedish Louis XV chair covered with a hand painted silk copied in the 1960's from the original.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4xz_9F...by=hakan_groth
The Oval Salon upstairs in the Chinese Pavilion. Gustaf III loved his mother's Chinese pavilion and he used this room as his study after he purchased the Drottningholm estate from her. His secretaire is French Louis XVI signed Topino and the English Chippendale chairs were also brought here by the King. The large set of chairs were originally placed in the Blue Salon that served as a dining room.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4yrdPF...by=hakan_groth
The last room upstairs in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm is the library. The black freestanding bookcase has a writing flap so it could also serve as desk. There was a librarian here so members of the court could borrow books when they and the royal family were here, but they were not allowed in here so they had to order books from a list and return them at the end of the day.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC5Ckpel...by=hakan_groth
The library in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm has a collection of Chinese porcelain figures that Queen Lovisa Ulrica owned. It was possible to bring them all back thanks to the inventory and when later wallpaper was removed, imprints showed where all the small gilt wood consoles ha been positioned.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC5GI_UF...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC5GPsrl...by=hakan_groth
The private dining room the so-called 'Confidence' was built for the royal family at the Chinese Pavilion, Drottningholm. The kitchen is below and the table was set in the room below and then sent up through the floor. Food was delivered by the four dumbwaiters in the corners. Here the royals and their closest friends could dine in private without servants eavesdropping
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC5GhwAl...by=hakan_groth
A close-up of Queen Lovisa Ulrica's wonderful collection of colourful Chinese roosters (and other birds) in the library in the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC53Qu8l...by=hakan_groth
The 'Corps de Garde' building near the Chinese Pavilion in the park at Drottningholm Palace outside Stockholm. When Gustaf III acquired the estate from his mother Queen Lovisa Ulrica in 1777 he continued to use her Chinese Pavilion without any major changes but he had Carl Fredric Adelcrantz build this 'tent' in 1781-82 for the Royal Guard. The eccentric Mexican millionaire Carlos de Bestegui (1895-1970) had his architect Emilio Terry copy this 'Tente Tartare' in the garden at his Château de Groussay in France that he had bought in 1938-39.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC56O60F...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/BC56zdrl...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 03-16-2016 02:36 PM

The Drottningholm Palace Theatre

The Drottningholm Court Theatre built by Carl Fredric Adelcrantz for Queen Lovisa Ulrica. It was completed in 1766 in time for the festivities when Crown Prince Gustaf (III) married Princess Sophia Magdalena of Denmark.
https://www.instagram.com/p/8eHboMlr...by=hakan_groth
The auditorium at Drottningholm Court Theatre built in 1766.
https://www.instagram.com/p/8eHlfzFr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/8eHn7kFr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/8fEJUfFr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/8fELMPFr...by=hakan_groth
The famous hand painted wallpaper in the prima ballerina's dressing room at the Drottningholm Court Theatre.
https://www.instagram.com/p/8fEbBRFr...by=hakan_groth
One of the dressing rooms at the Drottningholm Court Theatre.
https://www.instagram.com/p/8g9-WnFr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/8g-KFrlr...by=hakan_groth
One of the simple wooden staircases at the Drottningholm Court Theatre.
https://www.instagram.com/p/8g-T81lr...by=hakan_groth
https://www.instagram.com/p/8htzg_lr...by=hakan_groth
A portrait of the talented architect Carl Fredric Adelcrantz (1716-1796) painted in 1754 by Alexander Roslin. Adelcrantz who became the Royal Superintendent built the Drottningholm Court Theater in 1766 and was made a Baron the same year.
https://www.instagram.com/p/8hu6TvFr...by=hakan_groth
A ground floor room at the Drottningholm Court Theater.
https://www.instagram.com/p/8hvE84lr...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 03-30-2016 06:31 AM

Photo challenge at Drottningholm!
During the Easter Holiday we have a photo challenge at Drottningholm Palace – bring your camera and join us!
The photo challenge for this Easter holiday is ”Feathers”. Discover the birds and feathers in the palace interiors using your camera.
A selection of the photos will be published at the court website.
Photo challenge at Drottningholm! - Sveriges Kungahus

At Drottningholm Palace, we celebrate King and Queen's 40th wedding anniversary by giving a wedding showing which tells about the royal weddings through the times from the Queen Hedvig Eleonora and King Charles X Gustav in 1654 to Prince Carl and Princess Sofia Pilip 2015.
On June 19-July 17 daily at 15:00
Bröllopsvisning 19 juni–17 juli på Drottningholm slott - Sveriges Kungahus

An Ard Ri 06-17-2016 05:32 AM

Looks like a very interesting exhibition :previous:

LadyFinn 07-12-2016 07:49 AM

Curious about Museum de Vries – theme day 27 August
Museum de Vries is situated in the old dragoon stables at Drottningholm. Take the chance to see the world’s largest collection of de Vries sculptures on the 27th of August.
Curious*about*Museum de Vries – theme day 27 August - Sveriges Kungahus

Museum de Vries
The Museum de Vries, at Drottningholm Palace, is a unique collection of sculptures by Adriaen de Vries (1556–1626), one of the foremost Baroque sculptors.
Adriaen de Vries, a Dutchman, was one of the most renowned sculptors of his day and court sculptor to Emperor Rudolf II. The Museum de Vries is devoted entirely to works by this successful artist.
The majority of de Vries’ sculptures ended up in Sweden thanks to the country’s military successes in the 17th century. By the end of Sweden’s age of greatness, around 1718, there were no fewer than 32 bronze sculptures, mainly by Adriaen de Vries, in Drottningholm Park. With a few exceptions, the sculptures stayed in the park until recent times. After the extent of the damage caused by the elements was discovered, the originals were moved into the Dragonstallet building near Drottningholms Wärdshus and replaced with modern replicas cast in bronze. The new museum in Dragonstallet opened in 2001.
Museum de Vries - Nationalmuseum

LadyFinn 08-21-2016 04:09 AM

Evert Lundquist's Studio is found in the old machine house by the Chinese Pavilion at the Drottningholm Palace Park.
The machine house was used to generate electricity by steam engine to central heat the castle at the beginning of the 1900s. In the 1950s, when alternating current became the norm, the building was let as a studio to the artist Evert Lundquist who worked here between 1953 and 1992.
Today, the studio is a museum housing oil paintings, charcoal drawings and dry-point engravings of Evert Lundquist (1904–1994).
Evert Lundquist´s Studio - Sveriges Kungahus

Upptäck Evert Lundquists ateljé på Drottningholm – guidade visningar på söndagar - Sveriges Kungahus

LadyFinn 09-07-2016 12:55 PM

Drottningholm Palace outside Stockholm was began to be built in 1662 by the architect Nicodemus Tessin the Elder for Queen Hedvig Eleonora. His son Nicodemus the Younger took over after his death in 1680. Crown Princess (later queen) Lovisa Ulrica had the architect Carl Hårleman add an extra story to the wings after she took possession in 1744.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqSAAhB...by=hakan_groth
Drottningholm Palace began in 1662 for Dowager Queen Hedvig Eleonora of Sweden. It was built by her as a monument of the royal dynasty founded by her late husband Carl X Gustaf (d. 1660). She was born a princess of Holstein-Gottorp and was widowed after only six years of marriage at the age of 24 and lived as a widow for another 58 years.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqSrBHB...by=hakan_groth
The Hercules Fountain in the centre of the formal garden at Drottningholm by Adrien de Vries (1556-1626). It was taken as loot from Prag during the Thirty Year War by the Swedish army in 1648 from the garden of the Wallenstein Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqWCOCB...by=hakan_groth
The Neptune sculpture by Adrien de Vries 1615-18 from Frederiksborg Castle in Denmark now at Drottningholm Palace where it greets visitors arriving by boat. All the 26 bronze sculptures by de Vries (the largest collection anywhere) in the park are replaced by modern copies.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqWlViB...by=hakan_groth
The formal Baroque garden at Drottningholm Royal Palace was laid out after plans from 1681 by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger. It was restored in the 20th century, sadly in a simplified form. It originally had a much more elaborate embroidery parterre with lots of flowers. Compare the elaborate garden at Het Loo in the Netherlands that were successfully restored in the late 20th century.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqXzE-B...by=hakan_groth
The entrance loggia on the east side facing Lake Mälaren at Drottningholm Palace. The door on the right leads into the central staircase.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqrgznh...by=hakan_groth
The coat-of-arms of Queen Hedvig Eleonora of Sweden and her late husband Carl X Gustaf created in the around 1665 by the Italians Carlo Carove and Giovanni Caroveri. They created the magnificent stucco decorations in the grand central staircase designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Elder.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqt6SLB...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 09-10-2016 02:44 PM

The grand staircase at Drottningholm Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsFb_jh...by=hakan_groth
Nicodemus Tessin the Elder's design for the grand central staircase at Drottningholm Palace. Print from 1694 by the Dutch engraver Willem Swidde (c 1660-97) for the work 'Suecia Antiqua et Hodierna', published in 1716.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsGRVeB...by=hakan_groth
More examples of the excellent stucco work by the North Italian artists Carlo Carove and Giovanni Caroveri at Drottningholm Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsHfRsh...by=hakan_groth
The staircase at Drottningholm Palace was decorated with marble sculptures of Apollo, Minerva, the Nine Muses and busts of imagined 'Gothic' kings by the Flemish artist Nicolae Millich 1670-85.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsIcVvh...by=hakan_groth
A marble sculpture of Urania by Nicolae Millich the muse of astronomy from the Greek mythology and a daughter of Zeus.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsI23cB...by=hakan_groth
One of the frescoes by Johan Sylvius in the staircase at Drottningholm Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsJnB7h...by=hakan_groth
Fresco by Johan Sylvius in the staircase at Drottningholm Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsJx9JB...by=hakan_groth
The staircase at Drottningholm Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsYVMSh...by=hakan_groth
The Italians Carlo Carove and Giovanni Caroveri created the magnificent stucco decorations in the grand central staircase at Drottningholm Palace designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Elder.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqvFAuB...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 09-15-2016 03:24 PM

The monogram of Queen Hedvig Eleonora, HERS, is found in many places at Drottningholm Palace. She was a great patron of the arts, collector and a very keen builder.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJsZwQJB...by=hakan_groth
The most important room at Drottningholm Palace is Queen Hedvig Eleonora's State Bedroom. It is the most elaborately decorated room, but the queen never slept here. The bed was installed for Crown Princess, later Queen, Lovisa Ulrica after she moved in after her arrival from Prussia and marriage to the Crown Prince Adolph Fredric in 1744.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJtG7I_h...by=hakan_groth
The richly gilded decor of the State Bedroom at Drottningholm Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJtQL98B...by=hakan_groth
The ceiling in the State Bedroom decorated by Ehrenstrahl with a painting showing the hand of Hedvig Eleonora meeting her husband Carl X Gustaf under the all-seeing eye of Divine Providence.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJtZZUDh...by=hakan_groth
The Ehrenstrahl Salon at Drottningholm was the Audience Room of Queen Hedvig Eleonora. Ehrenstrahl painted the large canvases with motifs glorifying the Queen and her family. Queen Lovisa Ulrica had it 'modernised' around 1750 with new frames to the painting a new chimneypiece and mirror as well as new overdoor paintings. The French Louis XV chairs are by Louis Cresson.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJuSu4LB...by=hakan_groth
A Chinese famille rose floor vase from the early Qianlong period (1735-96). There are four of these at Drottningholm and they are very similar to a pair in the Long Gallery at Osterley Park. These probably came here through the Swedish East India Company.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJuTYTEh...by=hakan_groth
The frame of the overmantle mirror in the Ehrenstrahl Salon designed by Carl Hårleman c 1750 is crowned by the Polestar. Carl XI (1655-97) had chosen it as a royal symbol in response to Louis XIV claiming the Sun. The Polestar never sets and knows of no decline...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJuVfKmB...by=hakan_groth
The fire screen in the Ehrenstrahl Salon, probably designed by Carl Hårleman, has a woven tapestry with a motif 'à la Turc'.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJuV-GSB...by=hakan_groth
A commode made as the masterpiece in 1782 by Johan Christian Linning. Gustaf III bought it for his son Crown Prince Gustaf Adolph. The clock and the candelabras are French Louis XVI from the 1780's.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJvUt2BB...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 09-18-2016 02:47 AM

Photos from the Instagram of Håkan Groth, antique expert, dealer and a photographer.
The Green Salon was redecorated by Queen Lovisa Ulrica in the mid-18th century when the tiled stove was installed. The portrait of Catherine the Great is a contemporary copy by Pehr Krafft the Elder after Alexander Roslin. Louis XVI's portrait is by Joseph-Sifrède Duplessis
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJvvaIPB...by=hakan_groth
The elaborately carved and gilt crowned coat-of-arms of Russia on the frame of the portrait of Catherine the Great.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJvxTMyh...by=hakan_groth
The crowned monogram of Queen Sophia Dorothea of Prussia (the mother of Queen Lovisa Ulrica) on her framed portrait.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJvxwK9B...by=hakan_groth
This grand portrait of Louis XV of France by Louis-Michel van Loos (1707-71) hangs in the Green Salon. It would have been a gift to King Adolph Fredric and Queen Lovisa Ulrica.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJw-G4bh...by=hakan_groth
Queen Hedvig Eleonora's intention with Drottningholm Palace was to create a monument over the dynasty and to that end the lower gallery was dedicated to her late husband Carl X Gustaf (d. 1660). The walls are covered by battle scenes glorifying his military successes by the German born painter Johann Philip Lembke (1631-1711). The bust in the centre of the king is by Nicolae Millich.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJw_Ng6B...by=hakan_groth
The great Court Painter David Klöcker was ennobled for his services to the royal family and took the name Ehrenstrahl. His portraits glorify the royals, but he was also forced to paint their horses, pets and the exotic flowers that they grew. This large painting from 1687 is of a camel and it's minder Schabash. They were both capture in the war against the Turkey in Hungary and brought to Sweden by the Field Marshal Count Nils Bielke and presented to King Carl XI as a 'gift'. Schabash was christened, became Swedish was given a job at the Royal Stables and changed his name to Nils.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJyETZPB...by=hakan_groth
Queen Lovisa Ulrica of Sweden (1720-82) by Lorentz Pasch the Younger. She was the wife of King Adolph Fredric and the sister of Friedrich the Great of Prussia. She was highly intelligent and a great patron of the arts. She modernised Drottningholm Palace with new interiors in the fashionable Louis XV style.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJzmLmOh...by=hakan_groth
The Green Cabinet was one of Queen Lovisa Ulrica's favourite rooms redecorated by Carl Hårleman in 1747. Here she hung portraits of her family. It is said the petit point embroidery on the armchairs is made the queen and her ladies in waiting. The French Louis XV commode from the 1730's is by Jacques-Philippe Carel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJznkOeh...by=hakan_groth
A pastel portrait of King Adolph Fredric of Sweden (1710-71). He was a Prince of Holstein-Gottorp and Prince-Bishop of Lübeck who was chosen in 1743 as the heir to the childless King Fredric I whom he succeeded in 1751. He was the father of Gustaf III and Carl XIII.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJzoKqPh...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 09-18-2016 02:47 AM

Photos from the Instagram of Håkan Groth, antique expert, dealer and a photographer.
The Blue Salon was decorated around 1760 by Jean Eric Rehn for Queen Lovisa Ulrica. The walls and furniture were originally covered with a blue silk damask. The queen used the room as her study and she kept some of her large collection of paintings in here. Now a collection of portraits of her family now hang in her. The commode is by Georg Haupt.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ09uquB...by=hakan_groth
The oval portrait above the mirror in the Blue Cabinet by the French court painter Carle van Loo is of his young daughter.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ1BcYzh...by=hakan_groth
Queen Lovisa Ulrica painted in 1752 with her sons Gustaf (III), Carl (XIII) and Fredric by Gustaf Lundberg and Lorentz Pasch the Younger.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ1DBslB...by=hakan_groth
A Louis XV mirror in the Blue Cabinet designed by Jean Eric Rehn with the monogram of Queen Lovisa Ulrica c 1760
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ2NWK9h...by=hakan_groth
Another of the lovely carved wood frames in two colour gold. The pastel portrait of Lovisa Ulrica is by Gustaf Lundberg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ2N2E_B...by=hakan_groth
A portrait by Alexander Roslin of Princess Sophia Albertina (1753-1829) painted in 1775. She was Gustaf III's sister and became the reigning Princess-Abbess of Quedlinburg (the last) 1787-1803. She wanted to marry the Prince of Hessenstein, but Gustaf III didn't allow it as he didn't think it was a good enough married, so she remained unmarried. She became the last surviving member of the Holstein-Gottorp dynasty in Sweden.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ2Pn7Oh...by=hakan_groth
Carl Fredric von Breda's posthumous portrait of Gustaf III painted in 1798 after a bust by Sergel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ2P8SSB...by=hakan_groth
Alexander Roslin's portrait of Princess Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotta of Holstein-Gottorp painted in 1775. She married her cousin Prince Carl of Sweden who in 1809 became King Carl XIII. She is is mostly known for the diary she kept from her arrival in Sweden 1775 to shortly before her death in 1818.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ2QvVah...by=hakan_groth
The crowned coat of arms of Princess Hedvig Elisabeth Charlotta of Sweden.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ2Q_j3h...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 09-18-2016 11:20 PM

The library was created by Jean Eric Rehn for Queen Lovisa Ulrica in the 1760's in an early Neoclassical style for her circa 2,000 books. The queen spoke several languages and she even studied English which was most unusual at this time. She liked to surround herself with scientists and other learned men in here and the adjoining museum rooms where she kept her collections. Carl Linnaeus (Carl von Linné) was one of her favourite visitors.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ3HqWZB...by=hakan_groth
The crowned monogram 'L' for Queen Lovisa (Ulrica) in the library. She corresponded with Voltaire and here she kept the books he sent her with personal dedication and comments. She also liked reading books by Rosseau.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ3WNEOB...by=hakan_groth
A carved and gilt Neoclassical ornament in a niche in the library designed by the prolific architect and designer Jean Eric Rehn.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ3WdtDB...by=hakan_groth
The Marble Cabinet was designed by Jean Eric Rehn in the 1760's with walls covered in marble stucco. This was Queen Lovisa Ulrica's private writing room where no one was allowed in without her permission. It had originally been her first library before the book collection grew. The chandelier is covered with Meissen porcelain flowers.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ4u8rCh...by=hakan_groth
Queen Lovisa Ulrica's desk that stood in the Marble Cabinet was a gift from her indulgent husband King Adolph Fredric in 1770. It was commissioned from the great cabinet maker George Haupt and became his masterpiece that enabled him to set up a workshop in Stockholm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ4v8n1B...by=hakan_groth
The Queen's Coin Cabinet decorated in 1753 by Carl Hårleman. The walls are painted in faux bois. The set of specially designed cabinets that held her collection of valuable coins and medals are missing. Gustaf III replaced them with the present long counter. In the mirrored niche stood a bust of her beloved husband Adolph Fredric.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ4x3uOh...by=hakan_groth
A detail of the decor of the Coin Cabinet with a medallion of King Gustaf II Adolph (Gustavus Adolphus). It has never been restored and has survived remarkably intact.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ43t7dB...by=hakan_groth
An overdoor in the Mineral Cabinet decorated in 1768 by Jean Eric Rehn. The door leads in to the Coin Cabinet, hence the decor. This room was originally part of the Royal Tribune in the Royal Chapel next door. This still where the royal family enter the Tribune on special occasions
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ5r7rhh...by=hakan_groth
The Natural Science Cabinet also decorated by Jean Eric Rehn to hold Queen Lovisa Ulrica's collections. These small museum rooms, kept in their original state, has now mostly lost their original collections, but still very strongly evoke the spirit of the 18th century. They were never opened to the general public and are still rarely seen by visitors today.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ5swrTB...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 09-25-2016 01:37 AM

The Upper South Guard's Room served as an anteroom to the Hall of State. It was decorated in 1672 and the late King Gustaf VI Adolf (d. 1973), who lived at Drottningholm Palace during the winter months, used this room to celebrate Christmas in with his family.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ9zNrih...by=hakan_groth
The ceiling in the Upper South Guard's Room is decorated with a painting of the Fall of Phaethon by Johan Sylvius in 1694.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ90tfVB...by=hakan_groth
Cartouche sculpted by the Italians Carlo Carove and Giovanni Caroveri. The cartouches around the room all have different inscriptions and are decorated with symbols of the sun, the moon and stars.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ91VlOB...by=hakan_groth
Cartouche sculpted by the Italians Carlo Carove and Giovanni Caroveri. 'Comes Fidissima' (Faithful Compania).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ-ETuWB...by=hakan_groth
Cartouche sculpted by the Italians Carlo Carove and Giovanni Caroveri. 'Crescit Ut Aspicitor'.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_f8sRB...by=hakan_groth
Rikssalen (the Hall of State) was redecorated in the 1850's by Fredric Wilhelm Scholander for King Oscar I and Queen Joséphine. It is a gallery of the contemporary European monarchs. Here is Napoleon III (a first cousin of Josephine's), Oscar I, Queen Victoria, Tsar Nicholas I and Pope Pius IX. The Queen, who was a devout catholic, commissioned the Swedish painter Sophie Adlersparre to paint the Holy Father in Rome in 1855.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_nhKnB...by=hakan_groth
Here are the portraits of Pope Pius IX and King Maximilian II of Bavaria (a first cousin of Queen Josephina's) in the Hall of State. The room was used for receptions, banquets and for dancing. The 350 year old oak beams can't support disco dancing so it is only used for banquets today.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_oK2Oh...by=hakan_groth
The portrait of Pope Pius IX is crowned by his tiara in carved gilt wood.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_oaN7h...by=hakan_groth
The French Imperial crown on the frame of Napoleon III's portrait.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_ouHDh...by=hakan_groth
The Austrian crown on top of the frame of Emperor Franz Josef's portrait.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_o-mgh...by=hakan_groth
Queen Josephina of Sweden and Norway's first cousin King Maximilian II of Bavaria (1848-64) by Julius Zimmerman. She was the granddaughter of Empress Joséphine of France and her mother was Amalia Augusta of Bavaria.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKAflZzB...by=hakan_groth
A portrait of the splendidly moustachioed King Vittorio Emanuele II of Sardinia (1820-78). It's only a small portrait above one of the three doors in the Hall of State.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKAgdzrB...by=hakan_groth
The Hall of State with portraits of Pedro V of Portugal, Sultan Abdülmecid I of the Ottoman Empire, Leopold I of the Belgians and Georg V, the last King of Hannover. Gustaf V's grandchildren often used to play Badminton in here during their visits at Christmas time in the 1920's until it was discovered how weak the floor was.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKBah5th...by=hakan_groth
A portrait of Abdülmecid I (1823-61) who succeeded as the 31st Sultan of the Ottoman Empire in 1839.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKBbLTkB...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 09-26-2016 01:16 PM

The Queens Room was created by Queen Josephina of Sweden-Norway in the 1850's with a collection of European consorts. Here are Queen Elisabeth of Prussia (her aunt), Empress Eugénie of France (married to her cousin Napoleon III), Empress Elisabeth of Austria and Josephina herself. The furniture is all Gustavian.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKDKGs4B...by=hakan_groth
Empress Eugénie of France after Franz Xaver Winterhalter's official portrait began in 1853.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKFarZ6h...by=hakan_groth
The Queens Room with Georg Haupt's desk made in 1770 for Queen Lovisa Ulrica. The Gustavian decor by Jean-Baptiste Masreliez in this room was transferred here in the late 19th century from another room on this floor.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKFbIQdh...by=hakan_groth
The Yellow Salon has a set of Swedish Louis XV chairs from the mid-18th century. The silk with the Swedish three crown motif was designed by Jean Eric Rehn and recently woven at the silk weavers Almgrens in Stockholm.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKFpxL0B...by=hakan_groth
Brussels tapestry with Apollo symbolising the Day, signed Guillaume van Leefdael. Woven c 1650 after a design by Jan van den Hoecke, one of Ruben's pupils.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKFyUn5h...by=hakan_groth
One of a pair of Gustavian console tables probably made by Jean-Baptiste Masreliez. The lapis lazuli stone tops were ordered by Gustaf III from the Imperial Russian stone manufactory 'Le Moulin' at Peterhof after his visit there in 1777.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKFzzo6h...by=hakan_groth
Queen Hedvig Eleonora had the Upper Gallery decorated to commemorate her son Carl XI's (d. 1697) military victories in the wars against Denmark. Sweden gained its natural border in the south and the King married the Danish Princess Ulrica Eleonora in 1680 after the peace treaty had been concluded. The paintings are by Johann Philip Lembke and the ceiling was decorated in 1690 by Johan Sylvius.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJca0QB...by=hakan_groth
Allegorical painting from 1690 on the ceiling in Carl XI's Gallery by Johan Sylvius.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJungiB...by=hakan_groth
A marble sculpture of Apollo by the sculptor Nicolae Millich (1633-99) from Antwerp
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7p_dnB...by=hakan_groth
The Upper Vestibule designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Elder in the 1660's. From here you have the best view over the formal Baroque garden. This is one of my favourite interiors at Drottningholm. It was also used sometimes for dinners as happened on 17 May in 1702 to celebrate Carl XII's 20th birthday.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7qaZkB...by=hakan_groth
A close up of the painted walls imitating marble and one of the busts of fantasy 'Gothic' kings by Millich in the Upper Vestibule.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7sJpxB...by=hakan_groth
The monogram HERS for Queen Hedvig Eleonora Regina Suecia builder of Drottningholm Palace sculpted by the Italians Carlo Carove and Giovanni Caroveri.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7rGpgB...by=hakan_groth
A corner of the Upper Vestibule at Drottningholm Palace.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ8aiRAB...by=hakan_groth
A seventeenth century marble bus to Emperor Marcus Aurelius (121-180).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ9QjY5h...by=hakan_groth
Bust by Nicolae Millich of King Carl XI of Sweden (1655-97). He was only five when his father died and his mother Queen Hedvig Eleonora lead the Regency that ruled the country until he came of age in 1672. In 1680 he restored royal power and became an absolute monarch.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJtTLIB...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 09-27-2016 11:21 PM

Photos from the Instagram of Håkan Groth, antique expert, dealer and photographer.
The main entrance to the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJyyvWh...by=hakan_groth
The small chapel at Drottningholm Palace is housed in the north roundel and was began to be built c 1680, but wasn't completed until the late 1720's. The altarpiece depicting the Holy Communion is by Georg Engelhardt Schröder.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJzfCCB...by=hakan_groth
The organ on the balcony to the left built by the foremost organ builder at the time, Johan Niclas Cahman, was installed in 1730. The balcony to the right is the pulpit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJz1OoB...by=hakan_groth
The monogram on the royal balcony is the of Queen Ulrica Eleonora the Younger on who's initiative the chapel was completed. She was the daughter of Carl XI, sister of Carl XII and wife of Fredric I.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJ0RG0B...by=hakan_groth
The cut crystal and ormolu chandelier made for 100 candles was originally made in the 1840's for the Vita Havet ballroom at the Stockholm Royal Palace. It was restored and hung here in the 1990's.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJ0qwAB...by=hakan_groth

At one September issue of swedish Kalle Anka (Donald Duck) Kalle and his nephews go to Drottningholm Palace and the adventure begins. The nephews aren't initially very interested in uncle Kalle's a recitation from the tourist brochure, but when it is found out that several valuable objects have disappeared from the Palace, they get excited and Kalle must do his best to keep up with the action. In addition to the special written story the issue contains also picture puzzles and a fact sheet that has been developed in cooperation with the Drottningholm Palace Administration.
Kalle Anka intar Drottningholms slott - Kalle Anka
Kalle Anka intar Drottningholms slott - Egmont Publishing

LadyFinn 10-01-2016 01:42 PM

Photos from the Instagram of Håkan Groth, antique expert, dealer and photographer.
The Generals Hall was a memorial gallery where Queen Ulrica Eleonora the Younger collected portraits of her late brother Carl XII (killed 1718) and his generals. There are also topographical scenes of their successful battles. Oscar II had the dark blue Baroque style panelling added in the late 19th century.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKLA9BaB...by=hakan_groth
The ceiling painting with a scene from the old Norse saga of Ragnar Lordbroke in the Generals Hall by Gerrit van Honthorst is dated 1643. It had been looted by Swedish troops from Kronborg Castle in Denmark and was placed here by Oscar II circa 1890.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKLczkwB...by=hakan_groth
The Oscar Hall was created in Baroque style by the architect Agi Lindegren to house a set of Mortlake tapestries. It was completed in time for Oscar II's silver jubilee as monarch in 1897 and paid for by the King himself.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKLzzPWB...by=hakan_groth
The set of tapestries with motifs from the story of Hero and Leander were woven for Charles I of England at Mortlake in the 1630's. Count Johan Oxenstierna acquired them and gave them in 1654 as a wedding gift to Carl X Gustaf and Queen Hedvig Eleonora. The Baroque style armchair is from a set made for the Swedish Pavilion at the World Exhibition in Chicago in 1893.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKL0sFKB...by=hakan_groth
The amazing tiled stove in the Chinese Salon was a gift to Gustaf III of Sweden when he visited his cousin Catherine the Great in 1777. It is made by the Imperial Russian Porcelain Factory. Is there any other ones like this or similar in Russia? It would be interesting to find out if any one knows.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKOPqRJh...by=hakan_groth
A close up photo of the amazing Chinese style tiled stove made in St Persburg and given to Gustaf III of Sweden in 1777.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKOP6aLh...by=hakan_groth
The tapestry designed by Carle van Loo and made by Les Gobelin in 1779 was a gift from Louis XVI in 1784 to Gustaf III when he visited France in 1784. The motif from the antique Greek mythology depicts how Theseus captures the Marathonian Bull. The French Louis XV armchairs are signed Louis Cresson.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKORB-Ch...by=hakan_groth
A Russian chandelier in the Chinese Salon acquired in 1796 by Gustaf IV Adolph on his visit to St Petersburg. The young king was planning to marry Grand Duchess Alexandra Pavlovna, a granddaughter of Catherine the great. The marriage didn't happen as she wouldn't convert to the Swedish Lutheran Church.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKOSxYZB...by=hakan_groth
Overdoor decoration by Jean-Baptiste Masreliez from 1779 when he redecorated the room for Gustaf III. It had been his father King Adolph Fredric's bedroom before.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKOagTih...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 10-04-2016 11:35 PM

A commode by Georg Haupt which in fact is a pullout bed. It was used by Gustaf III's guard and stood originally in the King's bedroom at Ekolsund Manor.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKObflDB...by=hakan_groth
A Swedish Louis XV table made for Queen Lovisa Ulrica's first small library at Drottningholm c 1750.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKOgH8th...by=hakan_groth
One of a pair of Japanese lidded Imari porcelain urns in the Chinese Salon. The silk on the furniture and walls was recently woven at Almgren's Silk Weavers in Stockholm after a design by Jean Eric Rehn.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKOg3aXh...by=hakan_groth
Pehr Hilleström (1732-1816), 'The Conversation at Drottningholm' painted in 1779 when the room had just been redecorated by Jean-Baptiste Masreliez. It shows Gustaf III seated in the sofa studying architectural drawings looking towards a bust of his cousin Catherine the Great. He is wearing the so-called Swedish Dress and the ladies are wearing the special black and white court dress. Queen Sophia Magdalena in a different dress is seated in the centre at a needlework table. The bust of the empress was given this important position as the painting was intended for her as a thank you present for all her gifts and the bust in particular.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKP-yBuh...by=hakan_groth
A biscuit porcelain bust of Catherine the Great of Russia that was a gift to her cousin Gustaf III. It can be seen in the same position on Pehr Hilleström's painting of the room dated 1779.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKP_LsEh...by=hakan_groth
The Blue Salon was redecorated by Jean-Baptiste Masreliez in 1778-79 for Gustaf III when the double doors were installed. When Drottningholm Palace was built in the late 17th century all the rooms had lower single doors which was the fashion then.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKQBmb5h...by=hakan_groth
This cabinet by Nils Petter Stenström contains silk samples from the 18th century. It was a gift to Gustaf III from the silk merchant Adrian Hardt in 1781. The doors have inlaid motifs depicting the silk weaving process. This room was used as the most important guest room at Drottningholm at the end of the 19th century. Amongst visitors who slept here in a gilt Empire bed (now removed) were Tsar Alexander III of Russia and Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany on their visits to Oscar II.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKQgGtkB...by=hakan_groth
The long case clock has a movement signed William Jourdain. The original case was replaced in Prussia in the 1750's and is believe to have been a gift from Frederick the Great to his sister Queen Lovisa Ulrica of Sweden.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKQgzENh...by=hakan_groth
A pair of possibly Swedish Empire candelabra on either side of a Meissen birdcage in the Blue Salon. The Louis XVI style silk on the dates from 1926.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKRR8FAB...by=hakan_groth
A small Gustavian anteroom decorated around 1778-80 for Gustaf III. It was originally King Adolph Fredric's dressing room. The Louis XV secretaire was made by Johan Niclas Eckstein (master in Stockholm c 1732-76).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKSxOdwh...by=hakan_groth
A Swedish Louis XV armchair made in the French style. Original sample chairs were imported from France and copied, but there was also a colony of French painters, carvers and cabinet makers active in decorating the Stockholm Royal Palace in the period 1730-1760. A school was set up at the palace where French artists taught the Swedes. This was the foundation of the Royal Academy of Art in Sweden.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKSxYuGB...by=hakan_groth
Drottningholm at 06.30 AM, the King and Queen are still asleep and only the Royal Guard is up! The best way to travel here is by taking the old fashioned boats that leaves from the Town Hall in Stockholm. The first pontoon bridge was only built in 1788.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKS5XuNB...by=hakan_groth

LadyFinn 11-05-2016 04:55 AM

Some photos of Drottningholm taken lately, from Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMZwkxPj...=drottningholm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMZkgE5g...=drottningholm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMZIzW8j...=drottningholm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMUVmzRh...=drottningholm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMUSq13g...=drottningholm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMRuzHDj...=drottningholm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMYmuLkg...=drottningholm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMOhhwzh...99899356879404
https://www.instagram.com/p/BL7tC5Xj...99899356879404
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMN-HWWh...=drottningholm

A floral exhibition with a feeling of Christmas at Drottningholm Palace in December

2-11 December 2016 is arranged a flower exhibition "Barock Blomsterjul" at Drottningholm Palace.
Court florist Claes Carlsson has created unforgettable flower arrangements for royal weddings, baptisms and in many other contexts for royal representation. Together with Drottningholm Palace Theatre he has decorated with dramatic lighting and created an atmospheric arrangement and scenes and invites you to the baroque era imagery. The exhibition is held in the Palace's magnificent staircase and the adjacent guard halls.
Barock Blomsterjul – en blomstrande utställning på Drottningholm 2–11 december** - Sveriges Kungahus

HQ Press photos from the court website
https://www.kungahuset.se/images/200....gahuset.se.jpg
Court florist Claes Carlsson

LadyFinn 01-09-2017 11:44 PM

At the SVT program "Drottningholms slott - ett kungligt hem" (Drottningholm Palace - A Royal Home) was told about the Bathhouse at Drottningholm, it was build in 1793. It was the first one in Sweden which has hot water, wooden bathtubs, showers and seawater pool. Already Gustav III made sketches to the bathhouse, but he was murdered in 1792. His brother, duke Karl, made the dream come true and the house was build.
Queen Silvia told at the program that there are several rooms at the bathhouse and a big pool. Queen Silvia has never used the bathhouse. She says she doesn't know why, she lives by the water, it is so beautiful, one wants to but it just hasn't happened. She laughs that maybe she is afraid of pikes.

AIX antiquarians developed on behalf of The National Property Board Sweden a care program for the bathhouse at Drottningholm Palace. Palace architect Erland Montgomery was the director of the care program.
Badhuset Drottningholm _ AIX Arkitekter

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

A couple of photos of Drottningholm Palace, taken this evening.
https://media.shootitlive.com/V9bG5eX...ect_id=ibl/126
https://media.shootitlive.com/Zj2DK71...ect_id=ibl/126