The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/royal-ascot-2-2008-2018-a-17346.html)

Warren 06-15-2008 11:57 AM

Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

:crown5:

Royal Ascot
part 2

commencing 2008

Royal Ascot 1, covering all years to 2007, can be found here

  

Roslyn 06-17-2008 10:18 AM

Where is everyone?

My husband and I are sitting here in our home on the far north coast of NSW watching the coverage from Ascot live. The second race has just been won by a Spanish horse (and lost by our own Takeover Target!). We have seen HM arrive with the Duke of Edinburgh and Prince Andrew, and Charles & Camilla arrive with Beatrice & Eugenie, and I am dying to know whether anyone else saw the carriage that arrived about 15 minutes earlier with a girl in it that looked very much like Kate to me.

Come out and play, please. :smile:

sophie25 06-17-2008 10:59 AM

Bea and Eugenie's ensembles are ugly with a capital U! Eugenie looks as if she has raked through the contents of a second hand clothes shop. This is one of the most fashionable evnts on the planet and I don't know how they can show their faces in such terrible clothes and hats.

giov 06-17-2008 11:00 AM

Pics

MediumPhoto

London Features International Ltd

https://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.c...%7c0&p=7&tag=2

Warren 06-17-2008 11:09 AM

HM looks very smart! (thanks giov :flowers:) - MediumPhoto

Beatrice & Eugenie - London Features International Ltd

Zara Phillips - London Features International Ltd

BeatrixFan 06-17-2008 11:15 AM

No idea what Zara was thinking. That *****bow blouse completely hides her neck and that ridiculous hat squashes her face downwards. Very badly chosen indeed. The Queen's outfit is smart, classic but I'm not sure I like the creepers. Camilla has been a little boring today but it's extremely elegant, suits her and she seems to be enjoying herself. I haven't seen the girls yet but I'm expecting the worst.

Al_bina 06-17-2008 11:28 AM

Right you are, BeatrixFan, noting that Zara's outfit is a rather poor choice. I am totally disappointed with her hat. Her Majesty and Duchess of Cornwall look appropriately boring. Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie's outfits are relatively better. I am not keen on their headpieces/hats though.

giov 06-17-2008 11:36 AM

I love these pics
Zara and Eugenie

Zara and Prince Charles

Beatrice and Eugenie

Sophie

Article and nice pics
Zara Phillips is the early frontrunner in the Royal Ascot fashion stakes | Mail Online

pamk 06-17-2008 11:58 AM

Another fashion fiasco show on the part of Beatrice and Eugenie. Poor posture, ungroomed hair, ill-fitting clothing, sullen expressions - the list goes on and on.
These two have quite a collection of too-tight jackets which they throw on over every outfit whether it is coordinated or not. Always leg-o-mutton sleeves which are seemingly too small - the sleeves are skin-tight and look like sausage casings.
Eugenie is only 18 years old and is wearing a hat which is much too much for someone her age.
Beatrice a future fashion designer? What a joke!
And cousin Zara looks very va-va-voom in her verrrrry tight white blouse - could she breathe?

Hanna Regina 06-17-2008 12:16 PM

The Queen looks great, I think, but the others??? Bad day for all of them, except maybe Camilla, but she was rather boring instead. Though I do prefer that to ugly outfits.

Al_bina 06-17-2008 12:19 PM

Looking at the photos posted by Daily Mail, I am very surprised to see an abundance of halter and sleeveless dresses. I always thought that women are expected to wear ensembles that include a jacket/dress with sleeves. Is is a new trend?
Countess of Wessex chooses to wear yet another satellite type hat ... but I really like it. Her dress is sleeveless. I hope there is a jacket somewhere on a chair behind her... I am looking forward to seeing Lady Gabriella Windsor :smile:

giov 06-17-2008 01:09 PM

More pics
Royal Ascot 2008 - Day 1 - Pictures - Zimbio
Abaca Press Americas Search Results

Madame Royale 06-17-2008 01:30 PM

I've just spotted my girlfiriend in the London Features International...:lol::ohmy:...oh this is priceless!!! She looks impeccable as ever...I'm so saving this link. Cheers :flowers:

As for Zara, her hat is divine. What an inticing colour is cream (seems to be cream, could be off wite or ivory). She has bought a touch of My Fair Lady to Royal Ascot in '08', that is for sure.

Ennyllorac 06-17-2008 01:54 PM

Her Majesty looks fabulous. Everyone else (except from what I see of Camilla) should appear on "What not to Wear at Royal Ascot."

BeatrixFan 06-17-2008 02:01 PM

I love the colour of Eugenie's outfit. I think if she'd have gone for a plain white dress and a fairly normal hat the outfit could have been picture perfect. As for Beatrice - someone buy the girl a mirror or a gay man.

Rebafan81 06-17-2008 02:19 PM

I thought Her Majesty looked great, maybe the younger generation can learn something from her because I don't think any of them looked good. Zara is beautiful but I didn't like this years outfit.

wbenson 06-17-2008 02:27 PM

One of Sophie's satellite dishes attacked Beatrice!

msleiman 06-17-2008 02:27 PM

I did not like Sophie's outfit and both of the York girls- not much can ever be said!!

Claire 06-17-2008 02:32 PM

Personally I feel Philip Traecy (is that right?) creations are now just been recycled over and over again.
Sophie has worn that outfit several times.
They apparently changed the dress codes this year, and those for the royal enclosure.

iowabelle 06-17-2008 02:33 PM

Camilla was looking tired or unhappy IMO. Liked the Queen's ensemble. Eugenie's turban was strange but I do like the color of her ensemble. Beatrice's hat was also odd, I'm just not too fond of hats worn on the forehead. It's rather like an exaggeration of the Countess of W's saucer hats. Very interesting to see the big hug between Zara and the PoW. Wasn't too thrilled with Zara's hat either.

pamk 06-17-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebafan81 (Post 788178)
I thought Her Majesty looked great, maybe the younger generation can learn something from her because I don't think any of them looked good. Zara is beautiful but I didn't like this years outfit.

Like I've said before --- the Queen in the last few years seems to be having some fun with fashion. For her age, she looks wonderful. She has always had a gorgeous complexion, is fit and healthy. To look that good at 82 is remarkable.
Camilla looks perfect. Her clothes look very expensive and appropriate for a woman her age. Big improvement over Trooping the Colour and Garter Ceremony. She looks very good in soft pastels.
Sophie --- a big NO. Dress not flattering and hat --- can she see?
I've already spoken about the Bea and Eugenie horror show ---

Nico 06-17-2008 02:36 PM

-HM and DOC: i agree with some comments: appropriate that's all. Pretty and fresh though. Maybe they 'll be more adventurous for the Ladies' day. Love Camilla's brooch from Queen Mum.
-Sophie: no particular comments. Not a great fan of the mini UFO hat, the green color is so so.
-Speaking of adventurous choice, Zara looks good IMO: it's young and fun
-Bea and Eugenie. Bah as usual i think their outfit come from some cheap TV show sets.

Skydragon 06-17-2008 02:38 PM

Princess Eugenie skirts close to the wind at superstrict Royal Ascot with her risque hemline | Mail Online

Eugenie - Pretty colours, pretty awful outfit
Beatrice - Just awful
HM - Boring but smart
Sophie - Oh well, Better look next time (are you receiving me, over)
Camilla - Disappointing, everyone gets a new outfit for Ascot.
Zara - Very sassy

All IMO

tommy1716 06-17-2008 03:23 PM

Thank you for the great pictures guys. Its nice to see the royal family interacting in such warm and "normal" way.
However i think the comments by some people in this forum on what the royal ladies, especially Bea and Eugenie, are wearing are unnecesarily negative and "catty". I understand there is a fashion section to the message boards. I feel the comments are unhelpful and unnecesary and are not productive in any way.
These few comemtents are making me not want to read and take part in these forums as to be honest, in my opinion, they are becoming boring and just mean spirited.

But thats all just my opinion.

Thanks for the pictures though, very lovely.

iceflower 06-17-2008 03:53 PM

Great pics, thank you all :flowers: I like the pics of Bea and
Eugenie in the Royal box, making those funny faces, but my
favourite pics are those of Charles hugging Zara, what a
rare and private - and not to forget funny ;) - moment .

Mermaid1962 06-17-2008 04:11 PM

Zara looks fantastic!! I liked Beatrice's outfit, and I thought that Eugenie's dress was very pretty but could have done with a different jacket and hat.

seto 06-17-2008 04:33 PM

Thanks for the pictures I have enjoyed looking at them. Zara should have chosen a different hat. As for Eugenie and Beatrice they are young and enjoying trying different looks. Better now than when they are 40 I say.

Duke of Marmalade 06-17-2008 04:35 PM

Her Majesty looked great - unfortunately her horse did not win.

Zara - Another poster called it "sassy", true, I really liked it. It suits her. However she gave an interview to Clare Balding and could not finish one sentence, presented herself like a moron. I'd expect a royal, especially Zara who is used to TV etc, to be a bit more professional. Yes this whole Toytown thing was very disappointing but time to get over it and give an appropriate comment instead of stuttering "I don't know ... I don't know what to say". If so, don't agree to do a TV interview.

Eugenie & Bea - OMG. First time at Ascot and already wearing such ugly outfits. Even the BBC's fashion expert did not know what to say at first, of course he had to stay polite therefore he said "this (hair) or this (hat) or this (dress) does not do any favours" - Bottom line: They looked hideous.

magnik 06-17-2008 04:51 PM

I like Zara but I don't like her outfit. She look so big in this. What happen with her bra?! Her dress has to big belt as for her. Hat great.

Eugenie's hat disaster. But that's Ascot. Skirt nice but too short. I've hope that next time will be better.

Batrice ...black and white young lady.

Camilla's hat again what she show us before. she or Charles should buy her few new has and headwears.

HM is HM...

sophie25 06-17-2008 04:57 PM

According to the Daily Mail the Queen has invited Princess Michael's children to host a table at Ascot on Saturday so even if they don't ride in a carraige we might see them then.

Kate refuses the Queen’s offer to host own table at Royal Ascot ...because she doesn’t want to be seen as William’s official stand-in | Mail Online

GillW 06-17-2008 05:53 PM

Personally I loved the hats worn by Eugenie and Zara. I thought they were stunning and very elegant.

PrincessofEurope 06-17-2008 06:36 PM

the Queen - looked nice not a new outfit as i believe she wore it in Uganda but i really the hat that shape really suits her face
Camilla - she brought out the tree hat after Saturday's trooping the colour hedge/bird nest! liked the colour of the coat though the apple green is nice i believe the coat part of the outfit was new as there appeared to a trim at the hem but id need to have a closer image
Sophie - what is her obession with those dishes on her head and the dress was awful as it really didnt flatter her post-maternity figure that well
Zara - normally she is quite outragous and daring with her choice but today she was covered-up and i though quite nice not a big fan of the hat as it has a bit big and too much one-sided
what were the York girls thinking - they really are both a fashion disaster - nice to see them in the procession makes me wonder why they couldnt attend on saturday for trooping the colour or on monday for the garter yet went to polo on sunday!!!
Beatrice - awful, poorly fitted made her look huge especially by placing a black band around her waist which is her biggest part and she should not draw attention to that problem area. the material looked cheap and the P Treacy hat was awful and placed far too far forward on her head and her hair down was a big mistake
Eugenie - dire choice of hat, far too short a dress, cheap material of jacket although i like the colour as it brightened the look up, hair was nice up and away from her face but overall a really poor choice

i would image that Philip Treacy designed all the hats bar the Queens and as many have criticised Zara, Bea and Eugenie for there hat selection and im not a huge fan of the "tree" look from Camilla i really doesnt say alot for her talent or taste

PrincessofEurope 06-17-2008 06:39 PM

any pictures yet of Anne i belive she was there but didnt go in the procession - wonder which decade she recycled her outfit form this time!!

tommy1716 06-17-2008 06:47 PM

I wonder if the Royals place bets on the races? Even if its just a small amount. Though i don't suppose we'll ever know. What do others think?

jcbcode99 06-17-2008 07:54 PM

I don't even know where to start--isn't that horrible? HM looks wonderful, as usual. I do love her hat collection. She always puts a smile on my face.
The Duchess--yes, it's an outfit we've seen before, a hat we know, but honestly, she looks wonderful. She's wearing all those pearls, a classic brooch, earrings--she looks so regal--like a Queen in waiting--which is the look to go for.
The Countess of Wessex--I do like Sophie--I think she's a lovely lady--but that brooch is really not working with that outfit, and I am tired of these saucer/pancake hats. I've seen some photos of her in gorgeous hats, I can only ask where have they gone?
Princess Beatrice--she wouldn't have been too bad had she left the shiny, ill fitting jacket at home. I like the pumps, the belt is a typical look for her, but that hat is really awful and her hair just hanging there isn't helping her at all.
Princess Eugenie--well, once again, ugly ill fitting jacket. The dress isn't bad--its just too short and too beaded for daytime wear in the Royal Box. The jacket really, really doesn't work with the dress. It's the wrong color totally--she should have worn a dove gray jacket. At least Bea color-coordinated her outfit. In fact, the silhouette of Bea's outfit was very flattering-but the gloves were too much.
Zara--I appreciate the effort but her chest looks like it dropped to her waist. Not flattering.

COUNTESS 06-17-2008 08:16 PM

Most look awful. From Eugenie to Zara, you have comic opera. Sophie looked ridiculous and Camilla, can't seem to find anything that doesn't have feathers on it. Lack of imagination, great exhibited here. The queen look smart.

Moonmaiden23 06-17-2008 08:20 PM

I always dread Ascot...it reminds me of a costume party or Mad Hatter's Ball or something. And I am sorry but Philip Treacy might be a high society milliner but the guy designs as if he has mental issues....some of those hats??

I only ever enjoyed Ascot when the late Princess of Wales attended....she never seemed to be trying to get into the Guiness Book of Records with Ugliest Outfit at a Royal Event.

Roslyn 06-17-2008 08:37 PM

What a treat to come to the computer this morning and find so many photos. Thank you everyone who posted the links. :flowers:

Now the catty part :biggrin:.

I thought HM and Camilla both looked very nice. I liked HM's outfit. Sensible and smart and an attractive combination of colours with an interesting design. I love the pale mint colour on Camilla, and I like the feathery thingies she wears on her hats. As Janet said, she looks very regal, just how a Queen-in-waiting should look.

As for Beatrice, now I've had a good look at her outfit I think it's probably the best I've ever seen her look. I think she's starting to dress like a grown-up, and she looked very smart, with the nice black jacket rather than the pale ones we usually see on her. I think the black is far more flattering on her, and she carried the black down her body with the belt and shoes; I like to see the colour evenly distributed in an outfit that way. I particularly liked the longer skirt length. My only complaint is that I think she should have worn her hair up, but I suspect she thinks all that lovely red hair should be shown off at every given opportunity and worn long and loose. After all she's had her mother's example for so long. Otherwise I think Bea looked good.

Eugenie not so much, I'm afraid. My first thought was that she'd dressed quickly and forgotten her skirt.:rolleyes: The balance is all wrong. She needs the matching skirt and with that she'd have looked OK I think. And the one she is wearing is far too short for the occasion. I don't like the hat, but with the colour balanced properly with a matching skirt I could forgive the strange hat since it is the races.

Zara's outfit needed a black jacket I think. There was no black anywhere else to match the big blob of a black skirt. A jacket would have finished the outfit nicely, I think (and covered up the evidence that she desperately needs to have a proper bra fitting; having watched Trinny & Susannah's show about bras I know these things :biggrin: ). I like the fact she wore her hair up in a nice bun. Most appropriate. And I love the photos of her accosting her Uncle Charles with a kiss.

Sophie's hat didn't seem to match her dress, and I think she lost her jacket on the way somewhere because she obviously needed one with that bland dress to liven it up and draw in the green from the hat. Not a good look. I'm not a fan of those plate-with-squashed-bird headpieces she favours, but that sort of thing's OK at the races.

This is great fun, isn't it! Can't wait for tonight's episode.

HighGoalHighDreams 06-17-2008 09:14 PM

Hats shouldn't be worn on the forehead. Ever.

Madame Royale 06-17-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin (Post 788388)
I always dread Ascot...it reminds me of a costume party or Mad Hatter's Ball or something. And I am sorry but Philip Treacy might be a high society milliner but the guy designs as if he has mental issues....some of those hats??

The mans pure genious...:biggrin: His not just a milliner, but very much the artist.

And with every other person suffering some sort, or degree of, mental illness, I think that a rather unfortunate comment to have made.

Quote:

Hats shouldn't be worn on the forehead. Ever.
Totally disagree. It merely depends on the style of hat and whether or not the wearer can successfully pull it off. That said, I'm not much taken by the "satelite dish" either.

And Sophie...someone get that woman a stylist. The 'frumpy mummy' needs some assistance I think. She has such potential!

MARG 06-18-2008 01:16 AM

:lol:Come on people. Did you think that Ascot was about horse racing or something? Mad hats is what the first day of Ascot is all about. :lol:

Live a little and laugh a lot. Eugenie, Beatice and Zara really got into the swing, looked a treat and were all having a ball. And that is what it's all about. :angel: :whistling: :rofl:

muriel 06-18-2008 08:44 AM

A lot of you have commented that Camilla is wearing a rather dull, though elegant outfit (without having used the same words) on Day 1 of Ascot. Whilst I can't really disagree with the point, I think there has been some thought behind this. She does not want the spotlight to be on her choice of dressing (unlike, dare I say, Diana!) Camilla probably will wear newer outfits to Ascot this year, just not day one. She (and her staff at Clarence House) probably relish the reputation she is acquiring as being a consummate recycler of clothing - she does not want to be seen as a big spender on clothes. I think she has worked hard on her image - always dressed in an elegant and expensive fashion, though not showy, and to be seen to be getting the best out of the money she spends on clothes and hats. That is why, as an example, she has worn her wedding dress (from the civil ceremony) at least 3-4 times since. Similarly, most clothes she wears to Ascot get recycled in subsequent years at Troopng of the Colour, Garter ceremonies etc. I hope more people recognise this quality, rather than view it negatively!

Menarue 06-18-2008 09:06 AM

In my opinion all the royal ladies looked ghastly. That is except HM who looks wonderful for her age and much to my surprise Camilla, who I think looked very nice indeed.

PrincessofEurope 06-18-2008 10:17 AM

Yesterday and todays hat for the Queen have been designed by Rachel Trevor Morgan

The BBC's fashion commentator said that his favourite Ascot outfit EVER was the Dovegrey tailcoat worn by Diana in 1988 so her is a reminder
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Day 2 a really windy day as even the Queen struggled with her hat
The Queen - looked wonderful in purple and the hat was really beautiful
Camilla -really nice hat what an improvement on her usual style really like today's outfit from the bit i can see
Princess Alexandra - standard outfit for Alexandra in white and green strips
Sophie - more grey it really is very boring and she is wearing that awful thing stuck to the side of her head that she wore at Peter's wedding - wonder why she choose not to go in a carriage i know she didnt last year because she was preganant
last year sophie wore both days a grey outfit and the same this year though yesterday she did manage a bit of green in her dish hat

muriel 06-18-2008 10:35 AM

Camilla looks lovely on Day 2, in her wonderful new dress and hat. She really seems to be going for green this year! I think this is exactly the size and style of hat that suits her - rather than what she wore to the Trooping this year, or the beret style of hats she has worn many a time in Scotland and what she wore to welcome the Sarkozy's

larahowe 06-18-2008 10:45 AM

Queen of my House

If I look half as elegant in my eighties as Queen Elizabeth does--I will be thrilled. As for Camilla, I feel like she works with what she has--and the colors and styles, this time, worked. Criticism of teenagers--Beatrice and Eugenie--is really not appropriate. They'll find their way--it may take a while but let's give them a break.

PrincessofEurope 06-18-2008 10:46 AM

yes that hat really suits Camilla i think much better choice that those silly "feathers" that she wears

Anne on Day One
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/...archiveid=5018
https://www.iblbildarkiv.net/fotoweb/...archiveid=5018
standard and boring Anne as usual what charity shop did she get this one from
Sophie and Bea Day One
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65
Royal Box Day One
Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein Day One

lord_rankin 06-18-2008 10:50 AM

Recycler of clothing not withstanding, I would say Camilla does not choose clothes that in anyway accentuate her frame. The hats for instance are always so over sized to me. especially since she never wears her hair any different. She has modest features and the hat always seems to cover her like she is trying to hide lol. Come on Camilla go bold!

PrincessofEurope 06-18-2008 11:00 AM

Beatrice and Eugenie triumph in the style stakes at Royal Ascot
Beatrice wore an Alexander McQueen outfit on day one
Eugenie wore a Collette Dinnigan outfit
Not exactly great publicity for the designer then
Zara choose a Ralph Lauren outfit
Officialy the Queen was in a buttermilk colour on day one

Rebafan81 06-18-2008 11:54 AM

On day 2..... HM looked marvelous, she not only knows how to dress, she just carries herself so regally, that she would look good in just about anything. I love the contrast of colors from day 1 to day 2. What a beautiful woman, I hope I only look half as good as she does when I am 80.
I really thought Camilla looked very pretty today, I loved the color and the fact that she had gray in her hat that matched Prince Charles. She may not be a real beauty but she seems to compliment Prince Charles and doesn't try to outshine him. I really think they look happy together.

Menarue 06-18-2008 11:55 AM

Beatrice and Eugenie wore stunning creations! Good description. I was definitely stunned.

BeatrixFan 06-18-2008 12:03 PM

I liked Camilla's new blue ensemble but for me the winner was Princess Alexandra. Timelessly elegant in white and green. Gorgeous.

giov 06-18-2008 12:28 PM

Pics
Royal Ascot 2008 - Day 2 - Pictures - Zimbio
MediumPhoto
https://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.c...%7c0&p=7&tag=1

Madame Royale 06-18-2008 12:35 PM

Anne looked like a bumb on day one. What ghastly attire. How unflattering (style wise) a woman she can be.

Claire 06-18-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope (Post 788621)
Sophie - more grey it really is very boring and she is wearing that awful thing stuck to the side of her head that she wore at Peter's wedding - wonder why she choose not to go in a carriage i know she didnt last year because she was preganant
last year sophie wore both days a grey outfit and the same this year though yesterday she did manage a bit of green in her dish hat

I actually thought she looked better today. Regardless of recycling. They have cut down the size of the carriage procession drastically over the years. Especially is there isn't enough important royals to fill the seats. So can't ride in a carriage by herself. Sophie also might have came late and then just slipped in, like Edward did yesterday.

Nico 06-18-2008 01:38 PM

Aaaaaaah something new at last!
-HM: Good color, it really suits her...lovely.
-DOC: Unusual color on her but it works. Far less boring than yesterday's outfit: well done !
-Sophie: Great improvement. Better fabric and nice color. The hat is not so bad too: it's fun and very Ascot spirit.

PrincessofEurope 06-18-2008 01:49 PM

more from day 2
Picture details
Picture details

Princess Haya Bint al-Hussein of Jordan and Sheikh Mohammed, Ruler of Dubai
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected day 2
Picture details with the Queen on day 1

Skydragon 06-18-2008 02:40 PM

HM looked better today but the hat looked better when it wasn't pushed quite so far back.

Camilla much better, very pretty colour, although IMO the front was a little fussy. Loved the nod of feathers. :biggrin:

Sophie, not much improvement on Day 2 I'm afraid.

Duke of Marmalade
- Thank you, I put a wager on and you came in for me! :biggrin:

Lady Marmalade 06-18-2008 03:03 PM

I LOVED Camilla's outfit for Day 2. She hit it right on the nose with that outfit and the hat....absolutely stunning!!! That shade of blue looks terrific on her.

pamk 06-18-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope (Post 788648)

You have got to be kidding! Those were designer outfits?????
Those too tight jackets which they are addicted to are designer creations?
No way!!!!
Poor Princess Anne - such a smashing figure and she chooses such awful clothes. Her blue hat must be inherited from the Queen Mum as it looks like the hats which she wore when she dressed casually in Scotland.

iowabelle 06-18-2008 03:32 PM

From what I've seen, HM and Camilla win Day 2. The green looks smashing on Camilla, and the smaller arrangement of feathers on the hat is different than the enormous wreath she usually wears.

Really liked the Queen's purple hat with yellow flowers. She looks really good in purple, with yellow accents. But I do wish she'd change the shade of her lipstick to something less stark (IMO it looks like she's kept to her old lipstick shades as her hair has lightened). HM and Angela Kelly really work well together.

Sophie's hat ... weird. Looks like an exotic bird's nest, or an epiphyte, perched on the side of her head.

Looked like Princess Anne stuck a wadded-up purple paper bag on her head.

LadyFinn 06-18-2008 03:39 PM

Photos:
Daylife

magnik 06-18-2008 03:58 PM

I like:
Camilla's 2 day hat. Not the colour but the style.
Haya's 2 day hat or headwear:smile:

Something strange ang grey grow on Sophie's face.

Odette 06-18-2008 04:19 PM

[quote=giov;788120]I love these pics: Beatrice and Eugenie
In this photo poor Eugenie looks like a maharajah upset about something. The hat is not that bad but it sits at the wrong angle. Beatrice was not that bad.
Quote:

Originally Posted by giov (Post 788153)

Thanks Giov. I had a good laugh at the ladies from Gloucestershire......There should be a law that everyone should have a full length mirror available and be forced to look at their reflection before leaving home.......lol
Zara and Prince Charles......what a sweet photo.

Liz 06-18-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope (Post 788639)

That's got to be one of the worst pics of Anne I've ever seen. :eek::shock:

seto 06-18-2008 04:30 PM

I know they are trying fashion but Eugenie's hat was awful way too much going on. And Beatrice's looks like it is defying gravity.

pinkie40 06-18-2008 04:39 PM

With the exception of the Queen and the Duchess of Cornwall, never in 45 years of royalty watching have a group of royal ladies looked so awful all at the same time.

Odette 06-18-2008 04:41 PM

Oh I love Princess Haya but so wish she would wear long dresses or pants. Her legs are not the best part of her body.

Moonmaiden23 06-18-2008 04:53 PM

All I can say is that Eugenie has beautiful, beautiful legs....they are almost as perfect as her late Aunt Duch's. But that is such an awful awfit, I can't figure out where or why she and her sister dress the way they do.

PrincessofEurope 06-18-2008 05:02 PM

Gary Lineker races back to Britain for a day at Ascot with his stunning girlfriend | Mail Online from the daily mail

Duke of Marmalade 06-18-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope (Post 788851)

Another tasteless footballer at Royal Ascot. Someone get this poor girl a bra!

COUNTESS 06-18-2008 06:16 PM

With the exception of the queen, day 2 was worse than day 1, if that could be. They all look like they shop at a store on Mars. On the other hand, Princess Anne, found hers in a trash can.

Lady Marmalade 06-18-2008 06:35 PM

[quote=Odette;788822]
Quote:

Originally Posted by giov (Post 788120)
I love these pics
Beatrice and Eugenie

In this photo poor Eugenie looks like a maharajah upset about something. The hat is not that bad but it sits at the wrong angle. Beatrice was not that bad.

How can I say this delicately? Both Beatrice and Eugenie are...healthy..young ladies in terms of their bodies, and their clothes reflect young ladies who are size 2. They are ill fitting and too over the top. I wish someone would help them.

I actually liked Zara's outfit, bless her she has a bust and it showed yesterday!

HM..never gets it wrong....

Moonmaiden23 06-18-2008 07:02 PM

Well, thank you for saying it nicely...I wanted to say what you did but I was afraid I'd be accosted by a bunch of politically correct drones giving me hell for insinuating that the York princesses look too chubby for those clothes.

Honestly, I think they are both just as attractive as their cousin Zara. But they have inherited their Mom's genes as well as her taste in clothing...and that is NOT a good thing!

kimebear 06-18-2008 07:14 PM

While being no fan of the York girls' outfits, I thought Zara looked terrible. She has a bust definitely, but yesterday it seemed to sag down to her navel. She is also no smaller size than either of her cousins and her hat was the same one that earned Sophie a beating last year, just in a different color. Generally Zara dresses for her body size and shape, but lately she is dropping the ball.

Liz 06-18-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimebear (Post 788898)
I thought Zara looked terrible. She has a bust definitely, but yesterday it seemed to sag down to her navel.

I totally agree! Zara looked horrible! I don't know what she was thinking wearing that outfit. :eek: Truly awful.

Moonmaiden23 06-18-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz (Post 788905)
I totally agree! Zara looked horrible! I don't know what she was thinking wearing that outfit. :eek: Truly awful.

I first noticed Zara's sagging boobies at her cousin Peter's wedding last month when she was wearing that strapless gown. I don't get how such a young woman could have that problem...I thought that was one of the PERKS (no pun intended) of youth!

Liz 06-18-2008 07:52 PM

Strapless gowns are the worst if you're big chested. You always look like you're going to pop out! :eek:

GlitteringTiaras 06-18-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 788858)
Another tasteless footballer at Royal Ascot. Someone get this poor girl a bra!

You took the words out of my mouth.:rolleyes: Did she burn her bra prior to "rushing bacck to Britain for Ascot" with Gary? Next year they, the Ascot reps, should add to the strict dress code: Bras...mandatory! Or at least stickies with a dress like that.

tommy1716 06-18-2008 07:57 PM

I have no doubt this won't get answered as its nothing to do with fashion (I am in the Royal Ascot forum yes? thought i'd accidentaly ended up in the fashion forum for a moment). Does the Queen have any of her own horses racing in Ascot this year?

COUNTESS 06-18-2008 08:04 PM

The York girls are not chubby. That is where this awful misnomer starts. They have nice figures. They do not need to look like pins. What they need is someone who can dress them to their best advantage.

Al_bina 06-18-2008 09:00 PM

Day 2 of the Royal Ascot ... I have no favourites. Similar to Crown Princess Letizia, Countess of Wessex loves her grey colour. This grey futuristic -themed headpiece is just hideous. It totally overpowered Countess' outfit, which had a jacket today. Any sightings of Lady Gabriella Windsor..?
Generally speaking, there is a trend of vulgarization of Royal Ascot with sleeveless dresses, plunging necklines, and absence of bras.

philqc 06-18-2008 09:57 PM

i like Beatrice's outfit except the hat... i'm sure the look would have been completely different if she had done her hair like Zara for example... too much hair...

Roslyn 06-18-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy1716 (Post 788915)
I have no doubt this won't get answered as its nothing to do with fashion (I am in the Royal Ascot forum yes? thought i'd accidentaly ended up in the fashion forum for a moment). Does the Queen have any of her own horses racing in Ascot this year?

Well I'm going to have to answer just to prove you wrong!:biggrin:

The Queen had one of hers racing on Tuesday. I don't know its name and I don't know where it finished but I'm pretty sure it didn't win. Ascot is being shown live here on cable and satellite but that race was on far too late for me.

I just checked The Guardian's race page and couldn't see HM's colours next to today's or tomorrow's runners. Saturday's aren't posted on their page yet. Purple body with gold braid, scarlet sleeves & black velvet cap with gold fringe. I don't know the name of her trainer but all this stuff should be available in the UK newspapers.

Roslyn 06-18-2008 10:16 PM

Now, on to the serious stuff :lol:

I thought HM looked spectacular today. Loved the pretty colour of her outfit and the smart hat with its yellow highlight trim. Very summery and most attractive, I thought.

I thought Camilla looked very nice, too. Appropriate and a lovely colour and a nice change from the feathery halos.

Sophie's suit was very smart, but I don't know what to say about that thing on the side of her head, so I'll say nothing. :shock:

The big hit of the day for me was Anne. :photo: I'm sure that hat was waterproof and is the sort you can scrunch up and put in your bag. It's the very thing I am looking for as a birthday present for my 93 year old mother. I do wish I could email HRH and ask where she got it ........:biggrin:

Menarue 06-19-2008 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy1716 (Post 788915)

I will answer you Tommy. I am very sorry but Ascot for most ladies is fashion and has nothing to do with horses at all. I have no idea if the Queen has any horses running as I have been so busy looking at the hats and fashion I haven´t had time to look.
At any other time of the year I could tell you all about the horses but Ascot!!! No way.

Duke of Marmalade 06-19-2008 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roslyn (Post 788940)
Purple body with gold braid, scarlet sleeves & black velvet cap with gold fringe.

Jockey Ryan Moore wearing HM's racing colours:

Doctor Freemantle's Derby hopes hinge on Twice Over's performance in the Dante | Mail Online

Here are some more infos about HM and Royal Ascot:
Ascot Racing: History of Ascot Racecourse

As usual, HM will do today's trophy presentation for the Gold Cup. She has had 19 Royal Ascot winners so far.

Jo of Palatine 06-19-2008 07:03 AM

Duke of Marmalade, will you win today? Or did you race yesterday already? :flowers:

Duke of Marmalade 06-19-2008 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine (Post 789019)
Duke of Marmalade, will you win today? Or did you race yesterday already? :flowers:

Jo I won the Prince of Wales's Stakes yesterday :smile: skydragon was very pleased as she apparently had a wager on me ;)

msleiman 06-19-2008 08:38 AM

Has william and Harry ever attened Ascot? Sorry to ask but i just do not remember any pictures of them at Ascot!

PrincessofEurope 06-19-2008 09:21 AM

Day 3 19th June Ladies Day
the Queen - in pale blue by Stuart Parvin and hat by Philip Sommerville not a new outfit as i believe it was worn in Malta in 2005 but she looks really well
Anne - has small feathers in her hair
Beatrice - small white hat with large rose again near the front of her head but her hair is caught back of her face which is much better. seems to be a white dress with some aqua in it and a white jacket
Eugenie - white feathers (her hat was originally worn by bea at a previous Trooping the colour im not sure if it was last year or before that) wearing what appears to be a black dress and cream jacket trimmed in black
Autumn Philips riding for the first time at Ascot in a carriage - in a shocking pink massive hat and wearing something grey cant properly see

Roslyn 06-19-2008 09:31 AM

Ooh you've had better coverage of the Royal party than we had, PrincessofEurope. We got a good look at HM, and she does look very nice. She's wearing a sapphire brooch I must try and identify. I saw the huge pink hat in one of the other carriages and wondered who was wearing it.

Guessing about what Anne and Beatrice & Eugenie are wearing is giving me something to look forward to in the morning.:smile:

tommy1716 06-19-2008 09:57 AM

just found this and thought it might be good to post, its not from today but from the first day, at the beginning its jsut people arriving but a bit later on is Zara Phillips arriving and then the royal procession.

YouTube - Guests at the Royal Ascot Festival 2008

BeatrixFan 06-19-2008 10:04 AM

Interesting to note that at 4:11, Princess Anne curtsies to the Duchess of Cornwall.

HMQueenElizabethII 06-19-2008 10:07 AM

Thank you very much for your coverage PrincessofEurope. Getty has got first few pictures, i have not seen the whole outfit of the Queen yet, but i can make sure that the hat was not the one worn in Turkey, i can recall that Her Majesty has worn the hat on the last day in Malta for CHOGM back in 2005. They both have the similar shape, i mean with the one in Turkey, but they are different, but the outfit must be the one in Turkey.
Really want to see a picture of what shocking hat Autumn is wearing.:lol: So other than these ladies no Gloucester or Kents?

PrincessofEurope 06-19-2008 10:27 AM

Yes i realised my mistake i i think the whole outfit is the one from Malta as the BBC coverage showed her full lenght and there is the same bow detail at the front holding the coat together

i would image that the Gloucesters and the Kents will go tomorrow it seems to be their day

PrincessofEurope 06-19-2008 10:52 AM

Queen's hat at the centre of bizarre Ascot betting scandal | Mail Online

Lady Marmalade 06-19-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleiman (Post 789054)
Has william and Harry ever attened Ascot? Sorry to ask but i just do not remember any pictures of them at Ascot!

I do not believe they have as adults... I am not sure as children though.

I tried to find a picture of Autumn with the hat on, but so far no luck....arggg...lol..

kimebear 06-19-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 789080)
Interesting to note that at 4:11, Princess Anne curtsies to the Duchess of Cornwall.

It surely is, seeing how Anne has never really favored receiving them.

Autumn Phillips looked like she was dressed for fun! She has a 1,000 watt smile that I just love.

kimebear 06-19-2008 11:04 AM

Check the article on the betting scandal re: The Queens hat. There is a photo of Autumn included.