The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Families of Austria and Germany (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/)
-   -   Grand Ducal Houses of Mecklenburg (Schwerin and Strelitz) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f78/grand-ducal-houses-of-mecklenburg-schwerin-and-strelitz-16398.html)

Warren 02-01-2005 07:40 AM

Grand Ducal Houses of Mecklenburg (Schwerin and Strelitz)

The Grand Ducal Houses of Mecklenburg
(Schwerin and Strelitz)

https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CoatofArms.jpg

Arms of HH Duke Borwin of Mecklenburg

¤ . ¤ . ¤

stacy 05-16-2005 11:15 AM

Grand Ducal Houses of Mecklenburg (Schwerin and Strelitz)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles
.... and Grand Duke of Mecklenburg.

Why? Isn't there a Grand Ducal family (or two) of Mecklenburg - Schwerin and Strelitz

Charles 05-16-2005 01:27 PM

The Grand Dukes of Mecklenburg-Strelitz became extinct in the male line so the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin inherited, becoming in effect, the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg.

When the all the male dynasts of Mecklenburg died out, the claim passed to the House of Hohenzollern (Prussia) as stated in family pacts, laws, what have you.

Benjamin 05-16-2005 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles
The Grand Dukes of Mecklenburg-Strelitz became extinct in the male line so the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin inherited, becoming in effect, the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg.

When the all the male dynasts of Mecklenburg died out, the claim passed to the House of Hohenzollern (Prussia) as stated in family pacts, laws, what have you.

Actually it the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin which is extinct in the male line. This happened when HRH Friedrich Franz (V), Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin died in 2001. There are currently three female members of the House that are still living and these are:
  1. HH Duchess Donata of Mecklenburg, Mrs. Alexander von Solodkoff (b. 1956) who was a niece of Friedrich Franz
  2. HH Duchess Edwina of Mecklenburg, Mrs. Konrad von Posern (b. 1960) who is a sister of Donata
  3. HH Duchess Woizlawa Feodora Elise Marie Elisabeth of Mecklenburg, Princess Heinrich I Reuss (b. 1918) who is a distant relative of the late Friedrich Franz
The Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz is not extinct however. The current head of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz is HH Georg-Borwin Friedrich Franz Carl Stephan Konrad Hubertus Maria, Duke of Mecklenburg (b. 1956) and his wife is HH Duchess Alice of Mecklenburg, nee Wagner with whom he has two sons (Alexander and Michael) and a daughter (Olga).

Note to reader: All information was taken from Almanach de Gotha 2004 Volume 1 The Reigning and Formerly Reigning Houses of Europe and South America and the Mediatized Princes and Princely Counts of Europe and The Holy Roman Empire.

Charles 05-16-2005 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin
The Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz is not extinct however. The current head of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz is HH Georg-Borwin Friedrich Franz Carl Stephan Konrad Hubertus Maria, Duke of Mecklenburg (b. 1956) and his wife is HH Duchess Alice of Mecklenburg, nee Wagner with whom he has two sons (Alexander and Michael) and a daughter (Olga).

Georg-Borwin is HSH, not HH... He is also not a dynast but a morganaut. He can't be the head of the Grand Ducal House as he can't even be the Grand Duke. If Germany was not a republic, George Frederick of Prussia would be the Grand Duke of Mecklenburg.

Benjamin 05-16-2005 07:32 PM

Georg-Borwin is indeed His Highness Duke of Mecklenburg and Head of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.
Reasons:
  • The heir to the last Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Adolf Friedrich VI (who commited suicide in February of 1918), was his first cousin, Duke Carl Michael of Mecklenburg. Though Carl Michael did not assume the throne due to his dislike of Germany he was still the Head of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. He adopted his nephew, Georg, Count von Carlow, who on his adoption was legally allowed to assume the title of his adoped father, that is Duke of Mecklenburg because he became Carl Michael's legal heir. Georg was therefore no longer morganatic because legally he was no longer his biological parents son.
  • HIH Grand Duke Kyrill of Russia confirmed the title and bestowed upon Georg the qualification of His Serene Highness.
  • The late Head of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin also recognized Georg's rights and on December 18, 1950, Georg assumed the qualification of His Highness.
  • Georg-Borwin's position as Head of the House was and is confirmed by the prestigious and most recent edition of Almanach de Gotha, the "Bible of Royalty and Aristocracy," by the Head of the Imperial House of Russia, and by the late Head of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
His Highness Duke Georg-Borwin of Mecklenburg is the current Head of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

stacy 05-16-2005 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin
  • HIH Grand Duke Kyrill of Russia confirmed the title and bestowed upon Georg the qualification of His Serene Highness.....

How come the head of the russian royal family has authority over German titles?

Benjamin 05-16-2005 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stacy
[/list]How come the head of the russian royal family has authority over German titles?

Due to the fact that at the time Kyrill was the Head of the Imperial House of Russia he could grant titles to anyone that he pleases (that does not mean the title is recognized by all). His ability to create titles and styles for a German royal does not mean that he literally has authority over that person. I believe Kyrill bestowed the title His Serene Highness upon Georg because he wanted Georg to eventually be accepted as the heir of Carl Michael and therefore eventually Head of the Grand Ducal House. Hope that answers your question.

Marengo 07-27-2008 06:08 AM

Dutch political magazine Elsevier says that princess Woizlawa Feodora of Reuss and her son Prince Heinrich XIII of Reuss want Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands to clear the name of their father/grandfather Duke Adolf of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. The duke, who was the Queens godfather and a brother of prince-consort Hendrik of the Netherlands was considered by the Dutch RF as a Nazi and after the war was ignored by his Dutch relatives. A painful moment occured during the Olympics in Helsinki when the duke wanted to greet his Dutch relatives and they turned their back on him. Apparently Prince Bernhard asked him to save Bernhards friend Jhr. Willem Roell from being shot due to his involvement with the resistance, the Duke however refused to lift a finger. The Dutch RF also thought he was a fanatical Nazi and the right hand of Herman Goring.

In Elsevier his daughter and grandson however say that the duke was not active in the NSDAP. Neither was he a friend or confidente of Goring, though he hunted with him several times. Prince Heinrich XIII tells Elsevier that 'I am afraid my sweet cousin was adviced wrongly'.

Article in Dutch here.

lucien 07-27-2008 06:47 AM

I think his lieber cousine wasn't ill adviced at all,and what's more,now he can most certainly forget any sign of recognition/rehab from her as well.Going public with private matters doesn't sit well at Huis ten Bosch Palace,and rightfully so.

Marengo 07-27-2008 04:41 PM

I don't think they mind that much what Huis ten Bosch palace thinks actually. The house of Orange has been ignoring this part of the family since the war! It seems this is an elderly lady who wants to set the record straight (or what she thinks is straight). If duke Adolf really wasn't involved in with the Nazi's and such it is quite understandable. Due to the attitude of the Dutch RF Adolf usually has the sentense 'fanatic Nazi' added to his name whenever he is mentioned in Dutch biographies about the RF. If he wasn't a fervent Nazi I can see that his daughter would be bothered by it.

After reading a bit more about the matter it seems that I was wrong on several parts. It was Duke Friedrich Franz and not DUke Adolf Friedrich who refused to help Prince Bernhards friend Jhr. Willem Roell. Note that many biographies say it was Adolf Friedrich though. And another thing: Duchess Woizlawa Feodora was invited to the silver wedding of Queen Juliana. It was Queen Wilhelmina who 'banned' most of her husbands relatives from court from being too pro-Nazi (note that she did the same with the Waldecks; though with Fuerst Wittikind succeeding his Nazi father there was some sort of chill).

Anyway, royalblog says that it was Queen WIlhelmina who banned the Mecklenburgs. Still while Juliana was alive there was always some form of contact but after her death it became very quiet in The Hague. The Duchess regrets that: 'it remains family'. In Elsevier Prince Heinrich XIII also points out that HM did go to Bad Arolsen; while Prince Wittikinds father was a much more fervent Nazi than any Mecklenburg ever was. - I think this has more to do with the fact that Queen Emma is generally more comemorated and hailed here than Prince Hendrik is, who is seen as an embarrassement. And of course Queen Emma was the regent for 8 years.

On royalblog it is said that the judge in Gera ruled that the families properties like Schloss Thallwitz (Saxony) has to be returned after all.

Source: www.royablog.nl

Next Star 08-04-2008 02:38 PM

I know there is two different branches of this house. I was wondering if someone can
tell me which branch is the senior and junior?

Warren 08-05-2008 04:36 AM

The common ancestor of the two lines was Duke Adolf Friedrich I of Mecklenburg (-Schwerin) (d 1658). His grandson Duke Christian Ludwig II was ancestor of the Schwerin line while his youngest and posthumous son Duke Adolf Friedrich II founded that of Strelitz. Schwerin is the senior line.

The Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin assumed the title of Grand Duke on 14 June 1815 and the Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz did likewise on 28 June 1815.

Count langley 09-27-2008 08:20 PM

Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Does anyone have any information regarding the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, e.g. maps, pictures, Coats-of-Arms, etc...

DWC 10-04-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count langley (Post 829395)
Does anyone have any information regarding the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, e.g. maps, pictures, Coats-of-Arms, etc...

The wikipedia article will have some information.
Mecklenburg-Strelitz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Here is a photo of the current Grand Ducal Family.
The Royal Family of Mecklenburg. L-R Their Ro... Photo - Hinterzarten

JuliaP 07-05-2010 02:27 PM

https://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7730/julia1p.jpg

This postcard was identified to me as Princess Alexandra of Hanover. Does anyone know if this is true?

Next Star 10-17-2010 02:02 AM

That's sad the last male dynastic of the senior branch died in 2001.But I have one question could he have adopted a male legitmate member from the junior to be heir?

Stefan 10-17-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Star (Post 1148381)
That's sad the last male dynastic of the senior branch died in 2001.But I have one question could he have adopted a male legitmate member from the junior to be heir?

There is no legitimate male descendent from both lines. Only Duke Borwin from the Strelitz-line both he is from an morgantic line. They whey later recognized as membes of the Family and given again the Mecklenburg-Title (the where Couts of Carlow before) but no succession rights.

DWC 01-12-2011 02:08 PM

Sad news

I was informed today that HI&RH the Archduchess Ilona of Austria, Duchess of Mecklenburg passed away in Bad Krozingen today (12 January). The date and time of the funeral will be announced soon.

I will update my website soon.

Home - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

Katrianna 01-13-2011 12:51 AM

Marlene has posted the news on her blog. It's the second posting.:flowers:

Royal Musings

DWC 03-21-2011 10:52 AM

Saturday the 19th of March a plaque in memory of Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich VI was unveiled at the canal bridge in Neustrelitz close to where his body was found in 1918.

Adolf Friedrich VI memorial and Hohenzieritz seasonal opening - News - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

DWC 06-21-2011 07:54 PM

Duke Borwin and his daughter were in Mirow last Friday to attend the 250th anniversary celebrations of the coronation of Queen Charlotte.

Queen Charlotte coronation celebrations - News - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

Some more photos from the occasion.

Fotogalerien - Regierungsportal Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

And the thoughts of the British ambassador to Germany who was present and gave a speech.

A British Queen from Mecklenburg

DWC 07-28-2011 10:12 AM

Hereditary Prince Alexander has been inducted into the Spain Society Sons of the American Revolution and has been inducted as an Admiral in the Texas Navy. Article and photos below.

Hereditary Prince in Texas - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

Marc23 07-29-2011 11:09 AM

Nice to see updates of the family...thnx

DWC 07-30-2011 10:50 AM

An article in San Antonio Express News on the Texas visit by Duke Alexander.

Nancy Cook-Monroe: S.A. on receiving end of a royal visit - San Antonio Express-News

DWC 08-22-2011 09:13 AM

The annual memorial service in Mirow took place this past Saturday.

Annual memorial service in Mirow - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

DWC 08-28-2011 11:14 AM

Members of the family attended the baptism of Duchess Marie Katharina's first grandchild yesterday.

Baptism of Helena von Reitzenstein - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

DWC 09-04-2011 06:36 PM

Duke Alexander has been attending a UN Summit in Bonn. Picture and info in the link.

Hereditary Prince at UN Summit in Bonn - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

Marc23 09-08-2011 05:49 PM

Ducal family at the wedding of their cousin Sophie von Isenburg and Georg Friedrich von Preussen:

https://www.royaltyguide.nl/images-sp...ecklenburg.JPG

histbear 12-11-2011 09:06 PM

Mecklenburg-Strelitz/ Kamil

Trying to find out about husband and child of Helena of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1924-1962). She was killed in air accident but had a child by husband Hassan Sayed Kamil (1918 - ????). The daughter was named Sheila Kamil, born July 28, 1958 in Chur, Switzerland.

DWC 12-14-2011 01:46 PM

Hassan Sayed Kamil emigrated to Canada sometime after his wife was killed.

MAfan 02-02-2012 09:19 AM

Hereditary Grand Duchess Karin of Mecklemburg-Schwerin, née von Schaper, passed away on 26 January 2012, five days before her 92nd birthday.
She was the widow of Hereditary Grand Duke Friedrich Franz of Mecklemburg-Schwerin, the eldest son of the lase reigning Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV; they married in 1941, divorced in 1967 and then re-married in 1977 until his death, in 2001. When Hereditary Grand Duke Friedrich Franz died, the male line of the Grand Ducal House became extinct.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1366229
Erbgroßherzogin Karin von Mecklenburg : Traueranzeige - SHZ Trauer - SHZ Trauer

Marengo 02-03-2012 09:51 AM

It seems that the service is in the chappel of Castle Gücksburg. The castle still belongs to the Duke of Schleswig-Holstein.

jgrude 02-07-2012 03:26 PM

I am researching Karin Elisabeth's maternal ancestry. Her great-grandfather was Baron Maximilian von Johnston of Niederrathen (now Ratno Dolne in Poland). In August 2011, I was fortunate to travel to that beautiful area, formerly Silesia, Prussia, and visited the old castle. I am trying to find family photos of that line, and appreciate any suggestions you may have. My great-grandfather claimed to be related to the Baron, so this is very interesting to me for my genealogical research. May Grand Duchess Karin Elisabeth rest in peace...
Thank you,
Joy from USA

Marc23 02-07-2012 03:43 PM

Could you post us her ancestry from both sides from what you have?Thank you...

jgrude 02-07-2012 05:24 PM

Hi Marc, Here is a public link to a genealogy site that lists most of Karin Elisabeth's ancestors. It has not been updated with her death, however. Karin-Elisabeth von Schaper

Are you familiar with the noble family, von Johnston? I have traced them back to the 1500's in Scotland where they originated before immigrating to Poland and Germany. It was helpful that Baron Max v. Johnston published his family history in 1891 - and I found it in the World Catalog online. It was still available from the State Library in Berlin. The v. Johnstons are also related by marriage to the "Red Baron" Manfred von Richthofen. Fascinating!
Joy

Marc23 02-09-2012 04:33 PM

I have just heard about them,but don't know anything further :(

Thank you for this link...

DWC 04-20-2012 05:25 PM

An article from last week talking with Duchess Olga about what a noble title means.

Adel verbindet: Zwei Leipziger Studenten erzählen, was ein Adelstitel heute noch bedeutet - Studentenleben - Campus Online - LVZ-Online

Domhangairt 05-05-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWC (Post 1218925)
Saturday the 19th of March a plaque in memory of Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich VI was unveiled at the canal bridge in Neustrelitz close to where his body was found in 1918.

Adolf Friedrich VI memorial and Hohenzieritz seasonal opening - News - House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz - www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org

What I would like to know: Why did Duke Carl Michael never marry? Was he gay? He adopted the Count of Carlow- but this would not have been necessary if he had married and fathered heirs himself. Perhaps he could not find a dynastic wife in such turbulent times? Any takers?

Domhangairt 05-05-2012 08:32 PM

Duke Borwin of Mecklenberg is the direct male-line descendant of the Princes of the Obotrites. The male line of his family is actually Slavic not German. His family is one of the only surviving tribal slavic dynasties which originally ruled large parts of Eastern Europe including Poland, Pomerania & Mecklenburg. The Polish Piasts are officially extinct in the male line.

DWC 07-22-2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by histbear (Post 1345720)
Trying to find out about husband and child of Helena of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1924-1962). She was killed in air accident but had a child by husband Hassan Sayed Kamil (1918 - ????). The daughter was named Sheila Kamil, born July 28, 1958 in Chur, Switzerland.

I made some enquires about Hassan Sayed Kamil and was told he died sometime in the 1990s but not sure of the exact date, however with this I managed to find a death record for a Hassan Sayed Kamil, who died 19 September 1991, Sidney, British Columbia aged 72 which matches with his date of birth, where he emigrated to and what I was told regarding his death so I'm quite certain it is the widow of Duchess Helene.

Sheila Kamil was living in the USA.

VIEW - SEARCH BC ARCHIVES

DWC 09-28-2012 02:41 PM

Recently Duke Borwin and his sister Marie Katharina were in St Petersburg for the 150th anniversary of the St Petersburg Conservatory.

News - Duke of Mecklenburg in Russia | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

St Petersburg Conservatory | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DWC 12-19-2012 05:42 PM

Every year at Christmas a picture of the children of Duke Borwin gets released. Here is a link to this years one.

Alexander, Olga and Michael | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DWC 02-22-2013 04:52 PM

Earlier this month the Hereditary Prince Alexander was in Chicago where he attended the 2013 American Friends of Austria Viennese Ball

News -Hereditary Prince in Chicago | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

DWC 03-17-2013 10:30 AM

A Jazz Matinee was held today to celebrate the 80th birthday of Duke Carl Gregor.

News - 80th birthday of Duke Carl Gregor | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Marc23 03-18-2013 08:32 PM

I just love being updated and reading about the Mecklenburgs...Until this site and a great work of someone who is running and maintaining it,they seemed to be a bit forgotten!So,thumbs up as they were my favorite family :-)

I just have to add that I tried to view the avatar portrait picture of Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich V(which one can see in Grand Dukes section),but just couldn't as one can't find it when you enter the text below(read more) or when I enter flickr pictures...

I also think that some portraits(if pictured) should be seen in whole,just to show whole artistry of the painting and the glitter of those former rulers we,in fact,know so little about...

nithsdale 05-14-2013 07:29 AM

Is the Family Catholic? There were a few catholic wives recently (Austria and Hohenzollern). Any idea about potential bride for Pr Alexander? Duke Borwin married not equally - isn't it considered as morganatic marriage with no succession rights?

fearghas 05-14-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nithsdale (Post 1551574)
Is the Family Catholic? There were a few catholic wives recently (Austria and Hohenzollern). Any idea about potential bride for Pr Alexander? Duke Borwin married not equally - isn't it considered as morganatic marriage with no succession rights?

I dont think the remaining Mecklenburg branch would worry about morganatic marriage as they themselves descend from a morganatic branch.

DWC 05-15-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nithsdale (Post 1551574)

They have been Catholic since 1920 when Duke Borwin’s grandfather Duke Georg converted, his first wife converted in 1921 a month before their first child Duke Georg Alexander was born. Its up to the head of the house if a marriage is considered morganatic and Duke Borwin’s father approved his marriage as dynastic.

DWC 09-21-2013 03:05 PM

Duchess Marie Katharina and Wolfgang Thaddäus von Wasielewski announced the birth today of the their grandson Baron Ferdinand von Reitzenstein, second child of Baroness Maria Natalia and Baron Constantin.

https://twitter.com/MecklenStrelitz/...92632171446272
https://twitter.com/MecklenStrelitz/...92688249315328

DWC 12-23-2013 05:21 PM

Every year a photo of the children of Duke Borwin gets released at Christmas with his greetings, a link to this years one is below:
https://twitter.com/MecklenStrelitz/...053760/photo/1

CyrilVladisla 12-27-2013 09:00 PM

Duke Johann Albrecht (John Albert) of Mecklenburg-Schwerin was regent for Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV. Why was Johann Albrecht chosen regent for the Duchy of Brunswick?

Hereditary Prince Alexander has continued a tradition going back eight generations to his ancestor Duke Carl (1708-1752). Duke Carl was a son of Duke Adolf Friedrich II. A member of the House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in every generation has attended university.:flowers:

Adolf Friedrich VI of Mecklenburg-Strelitz was subsequently reported to be engaged to various European princesses. One princess was Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia. Who were the other princesses?

Duke Borwin and his son Michael looked very diplomatic in the Flickr photos of the Grand Ducal visit.

Warren 12-28-2013 07:50 AM

:previous:
Because he did such a professional job as Regent of the Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin some years previously.
In 1907 the Diet of the Duchy of Brunswick elected Duke Johann Albrecht as Regent to replace the late Prince Albrecht of Prussia. He accepted the offer, became Regent of the Duchy of Brunswick and remained in that position until November 1913 when the rightful Hanoverian heir was finally allowed by Prussia to ascend the Ducal throne.

MAfan 01-08-2014 04:54 PM

Another Princess considered as a possible bride for him was Princess Patricia of Connaught, the youngest daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Connaught.

HereditaryPrincess 01-09-2014 02:34 PM

Duke Borwin is currently in Jordan and recently attended the inauguration of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan. Also present were Duke Michael of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Princess Elisabeth of Ysembourg Büdingen and Prince Ra'ad of Jordan:

Visite du duc de Mecklembourg-Strelitz en Jordanie | Noblesse & Royautés

DWC 01-12-2014 04:08 PM

Summary of the Duke's recent visit to Jordan

News - Grand Ducal visit to Jordan | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

DWC 04-24-2014 04:59 PM

Here is a link to a photo of Duke Michael at the recent Model United Nations of the Hague. He is currently studying International Relations at university in the Netherlands.

https://twitter.com/MecklenStrelitz/...12594566303744

Warren 05-11-2014 12:45 AM

HH Duchess Donata of Mecklenburg attended the 'Hanover and the Crown' exhibition at Schloss Marienburg in April.

Here's a link to a [good] picture: Adel und Prominenz auf der Marienburg / Fotostrecken Hannover / Hannover - HAZ - Hannoversche Allgemeine

DWC 05-11-2014 06:10 PM

On 8 May Duke Michael met H.E. Dr. Kyriacós Kouros, Ambassador of Cyprus to the Netherlands at a Diplomats Meet & Greet at the Carlton Ambassador Hotel in the Hague.

https://twitter.com/MecklenStrelitz/...10503151431680

The Duke and Duchess of Mecklenburg, along with Duke Michael and Duchess Olga attended the 2014 Bernadotte Art Awards in Stockholm on Monday

Bernadotte Art Awards 2014 - 42-59101880 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

Bernadotte Art Awards 2014 - 42-59101882 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

The Duke and Duchess of Mecklenburg, Duke Michael, Duchess Donata and her husband Alexander von Solodkoff, Prince Heinrich XI Licco Reuss and his wife Princess Ulfa attended the reopening of Schloss Mirow on Saturday 7 June.

https://www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org...l#.U5cJm_ldWSo

Earlier today Duke Michael of Mecklenburg represented the grand ducal house at a memorial service marking the centenary of the death of Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich V.

News - Grand Duke Adolf Friedrich V memorial service in Mirow | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

https://www.flickr.com/photos/meckle...7645216692533/

CyrilVladisla 06-14-2014 10:36 PM

It was interesting to learn that the burial of Adolf Friedrich V on June 18, 1914 marked the last gathering of the European aristocracy before Archduke Franz Ferdinand's demise.

Marc23 07-01-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrude (Post 1368090)
I am researching Karin Elisabeth's ancestry.

Her ancestry is very interesting...

She is a direct descendant of Karl Alexander of Lorraine(brother of Emperor Francis Stephan) and his mistress Regina von Porthenfeld...

She is also related to many noble families and persons including Princess Sophie of Prussia(nee von Isenburg) as Karin's great-grandmother Baroness Henriette Hilleprandt von und zu Ottenhausen(1840-1921) and Sophie's great-great-grandmother Baroness Eleonore Hilleprandt von und zu Ottenhausen(1842-1916) were sisters...

Further,Karin's grandmother and daughter of the above mentioned Baroness Henriette,Countess Eleonore Pilati von Thassul zu Daxberg(1868-1935) was named after her own aunt and Sophie's great-great grandmother Baroness Eleonore... ;)

Karin is also a cousin of the present Prince Hieronymus von Clary und Aldringen...

DWC 09-10-2014 04:22 PM

Duke Michael of Mecklenburg has written an article for the the Diplomat Magazine of which he is also Chief Junior Editor.

The Matrimonial Diplomacy of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg - Diplomat magazine : Diplomat magazine

CyrilVladisla 09-10-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWC (Post 1701305)
Duke Michael of Mecklenburg has written an article for the the Diplomat Magazine of which he is also Chief Junior Editor.

The Matrimonial Diplomacy of the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg - Diplomat magazine : Diplomat magazine

I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and its connections to other royal and imperial dynasties.
Duke Michael is a fantastic writer!

DWC 10-27-2014 02:34 PM

On 18 October Duke Borwin participated in the Wendish Dialogues event at Ernst von Hopffgarten studio in Trebel

Adeliger Kosmopolit - Elbe-Jeetzel-Zeitung

DWC 11-10-2014 06:10 PM

On 26 October Duke Borwin, Duchess Alice and Duke Michael sponsored the 'Peace for Iraq' event in the Netherlands.

News - Peace for Iraq | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

DWC 12-21-2014 07:40 PM

On 21 December Duke's Alexander and Michael and Duchess Olga attended a discussion in Neustrelitz on the connection of the former ruling house to the past, present and future international importance of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00048333533343

DWC 03-28-2015 06:27 PM

Duke Borwin and Hereditary Prince Alexander represented the Grand Ducal House at the seasonal opening of the Louise Memorial at the Hohenziertz Palace today.

News - 2015 seasonal opening of Queen Louise Memorial | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Marc23 03-29-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWC (Post 1701305)

Love the article...and the fact that the young Prince is interested in his own family history! :)

DWC 06-28-2015 07:13 AM

To mark the 200th anniversary of the raising of the Mecklenburg duchy's to grand ducal status the family recently visited Mecklenburg.

News - 200th anniversary of Grand Ducal status | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

fearghas 06-28-2015 11:55 PM

It's nice that the younger members of the family show an interest in their heritage.

eya 06-29-2015 01:14 AM

They don't live there?

DWC 06-29-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 1796758)
They don't live there?

No they have lived in southern Germany since 1945, although the current duke's father Duke Georg Alexander returned after German reunification and lived in Mirow until his death in 1996.

fearghas 06-30-2015 04:23 AM

Did they get any property restored to them?

DWC 06-30-2015 03:02 PM

They regained ownership of the Remplin Palace in 2004, although just the North Wing still stands as most the palace was destroyed in a fire in 1940. What is left is not in a good condition.

Remplin | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

DWC 08-22-2015 04:08 PM

Duchess Marie Katharina and Duchess Irene today attended the annual memorial service for deceased members of the House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in Mirow.

News - 2015 Annual memorial service in Mirow | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Tarlita 08-22-2015 05:48 PM

Thank you DWC for the very interesting link to the Grand Ducal house. After Grand Duchess Augusta I hadn't really looked into the rest of the family especially todays descendants.

DWC 12-22-2015 03:13 PM

Yesterday Duchess Olga, the Hereditary Prince Alexander and Duke Michael were in Mirow to hear the announcement that 900,000 Euros will be made available to restore the Grand Ducal Family’s Crypt there.

https://www.facebook.com/HausMecklen...39139206290921

News - Restoration of the Family Crypt in Mirow | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

A video report in German, comes on about 10 minutes in.

Nordmagazin | NDR.de - Fernsehen - Sendungen A-Z - Nordmagazin

fearghas 12-22-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWC (Post 1850114)
Yesterday Duchess Olga, the Hereditary Prince Alexander and Duke Michael were in Mirow to hear the announcement that 900,000 Euros will be made available to restore the Grand Ducal Family’s Crypt there.

https://www.facebook.com/HausMecklen...39139206290921

News - Restoration of the Family Crypt in Mirow | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

A video report in German, comes on about 10 minutes in.

Nordmagazin | NDR.de - Fernsehen - Sendungen A-Z - Nordmagazin

Its nice to see that the younger members of the family take an interest and are involved in events to do with their family history

Rudolph 12-28-2015 04:12 PM

Castle Pix @Castle_Pix
Schwerin Palace, Germany was the home of the dukes of Mecklenburg and is set to become a World Heritage Site.

https://twitter.com/Castle_Pix/statu...69212591017984

Marc23 02-12-2016 03:05 PM

American visit:

https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/snyd..._486532744.php

Duke Alexander in US.

DWC 04-23-2016 04:57 PM

On 22 April The Duke of Mecklenburg and his son Duke Michael attended the opening of a permanent exhibition to the history of Mecklenburg-Strelitz at the Cultural Quarter in Neustrelitz.

https://www.mecklenburg-strelitz.org...l-quarter.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/meckle...57667363623081

This last weekend The Duke of Mecklenburg celebrated his 60th birthday in Neustrelitz

Report:
News - 60th Birthday of The Duke of Mecklenburg | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/HausMecklen...94954610709380

Marc23 09-12-2016 05:05 PM

I have seen a new section in Mecklenburg-Strelitz web site.

While Duke and Grand Dukes section is complete, I can't wait to real a little bit more about the Duchesses and Grand Duchesses section which is still partly under construction.

DWC 11-17-2016 07:55 AM

On 11 November Duchess Olga attended an event in Neustrelitz commemorating the ties between Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Montenegro.

News - Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Montenegro | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

On 15 July Alexander von Wasielewski, son of Duchess Marie Katharina, was married to Johanna Gering.

News - Wedding of Alexander von Wasielewski | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Sheila Kamil, the only child of Duchess Helene, passed away at the age of 59 on 21 March 2018 in Canada. She was born on 26 July 1958 in Chur, Switzerland the only child of Duchess Helene and her husband Hassan Sayed Kamil.

News - Passing of Sheila Kamil | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Marengo 06-01-2018 03:49 AM

Last weekend there was the 4th edition of the Tulip ball, in the Koepelkerk (Dome church - now part of the Renaissance hotel) on the Singel in Amsterdam.

Among the -mainly aristocratic- guests was Duke Michael of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, youngest son of the duke Borwin and his wife Alice Wagner:

https://www.adelinnederland.nl/tulpe...llijke-allure/

Duc_et_Pair 06-01-2018 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2118223)
Last weekend there was the 4th edition of the Tulip ball, in the Koepelkerk (Dome church - now part of the Renaissance hotel) on the Singel in Amsterdam.

Among the -mainly aristocratic- guests was Duke Michael of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, youngest son of the duke Borwin and his wife Alice Wagner:

Interesting that this sort of balls are still held in the Netherlands. Strange that we never saw the Orange-Nassaus or the Bourbon-Parmas on this sort of balls.

JR76 06-01-2018 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2118237)
Interesting that this sort of balls are still held in the Netherlands. Strange that we never saw the Orange-Nassaus or the Bourbon-Parmas on this sort of balls.

I've read from time to time in Svensk Damtidning about young nobles from all over Europe participating in get togethers and balls arranged by Pan-European nobility associations but I've never heard about this one before.

If Google translate doesn't deceive me it says it's the fourth annual ball so maybe the reason for no members of the Dutch Royal Family having attended is that there hasn't been anyone of the right age that have been interested in going?

Marc23 07-03-2018 12:45 PM

Beautiful official photo of Princess Jutta von Mecklenburg-Strelitz wearing tiara:

https://chiwelook.me/wp-content/uploa.../12/Moda-8.jpg

Elektra 07-23-2018 12:53 PM

Death of Duke Carl Gregor

Sad news : Duke Carl Gregor passed away this morning aged 85.

News - Death of Duke Carl Gregor | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

DWC 08-01-2018 01:38 PM

Prince Nikola of Montenegro was a guest today at the annual memorial service for members of the House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

News - Annual Memorial Service in Mirow | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

https://www.facebook.com/HausMecklen...11084969096340

eya 08-05-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elektra (Post 2136403)
Sad news : Duke Carl Gregor passed away this morning aged 85.

News - Death of Duke Carl Gregor | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

His funeral took place yesterday 4 August

https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...f5&oe=5C03FB2E

News - Funeral of Duke Carl Gregor | House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz

The Montenegrin Academy of Sciences will publish memoirs of Duchess Jutta.Will be published in 2019

""The Academy is particularly interested in the historical connection between Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Montenegro. The memoirs of Duchess Jutta, Princess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, born in 1880 in the Carolinenpalais in Neustrelitz in 1880, which she wrote after escaping from the Austrian troops in Italy in 1917, are in focus, "says Rajko Lippert, chairman of the Verein Kulturgut Mecklenburg -Strelitz."

https://strelitzius.com/2018/08/18/v...19-erscheinen/

Somebody 08-05-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 2118223)

According to his biography on the website of the house he was one of the organizers (at least in previous years) - while studying at Leiden University in the Netherlands.

Mbruno 08-18-2018 02:35 PM

Was the Grand Duke the supreme governor of the established Lutheran church in Mecklenburg ? How was the established church organized ?

eya 11-09-2018 11:22 AM

Statement by Duke Michael on renewing dynastic ties with Montenegro:

https://t.co/uBts157duC

Happy 69th Birhday to Duchess Marie Katharina ! In the picture below is with her husband Wolfgang von Wasielewski, their son Alexander and her sister Duchess Irene by the Luise Memorial in the Hohenzieritz Palace.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dr9AVitWoAEqoHE.jpg

CyrilVladisla 11-10-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eya (Post 2169106)
Statement by Duke Michael on renewing dynastic ties with Montenegro:

https://t.co/uBts157duC

In what year had the ties between the Royal House of Montenegro and the Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz been severed?

eya 11-15-2018 05:36 AM

Duke Michael on 100 years since the end of the monarchy

https://t.co/I3UH7ifagm

This year Christmas Card from the Grand Ducal Family.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuPbex3W0AACpv2.jpg

eya 12-29-2018 03:51 AM

Duchess Olga wearing the Grand Cross of the Order of Danilo, received 1 August 2018 from Crown Prince Nikola of Montenegro

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dvh774RW...jpg&name=small

DWC 03-28-2019 01:17 PM

An aquamarine and diamond tiara made in 1904 as a wedding gift for Princess Alexandra of Hanover from her husband Grand Duke Friedrich Franz IV of Mecklenburg-Schwerin will be auctioned in Geneva in May.

https://www.indulgexpress.com/culture/art/2019/mar/28/historic-aquamarine--diamond-tiara-by-fabergeacute-to-go-on-magnificent-jewels-auction-in-geneva-13702.html

eya 05-29-2019 04:32 PM

Between 24-26 May, Duke Alexander and Duke Michael attended the 5th Edition of the Tulips Ball. In the first photo Duke Michael (on the right) is pictured with Princess Christine of Prussia

https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...58&oe=5D9E4445
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...dd&oe=5D9941B3
https://scontent.fskg1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2f&oe=5D8F8DCA

Marengo 06-05-2019 03:32 AM

Princess Woizlawa Feodora Reuss, nee Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin died on June 3rd.

Noblesse & Royautes posted a photo of the princess at her 100th birthday with her cousins the Duchesses Edwina and Donata of Mecklenburg-Schwerin:

Décès de la princesse Feodora Reuss (1918-2019) – Noblesse & Royautés

Duc_et_Pair 06-07-2019 02:40 PM

Indeed. God bless her.

On June 3rd 2019 has passed away at the age of 100: Woizlawa-Feodora Elise Marie Elisabeth Prinzessin Reuß, Herzogin zu Mecklenburg (1918-2019).

Woizlawa was the last still living participant at the Royal Wedding of Princess Juliana of the Netherlands and Bernhard Prinz zur Lippe-Biesterfeld in 1937. The Princess was a full cousin to Queen Juliana of the Netherlands:

GENERATION 2
Woizlawa-Feodora Elise Marie Elisabeth Herzogin zu Mecklenburg (1918-2019)
|
GENERATION 1
Adolf Friedrich Albrecht Heinrich Herzog zu Mecklenburg
x Victoria Feodora Agnes Leopoldine Elisabeth Prinzessin Reuß
|
--------------------------------------------------------------------
GENERATION 0
Friedrich Franz II Großherzog von Mecklenburg
x Marie Karoline Auguste Prinzessin von Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
|
GENERATION 1
Heinrich Wladimir Albrecht Ernst Herzog zu Mecklenburg
x Wilhelmina Helena Pauline Maria Koningin der Nederlanden, Prinses van Oranje-Nassau
|
GENERATION 2
Juliana Louise Emma Marie Wilhelmina Koningin der Nederlanden, Prinses van Oranje-Nassau, Hertogin van Mecklenburg (1909-2004)

With the passing-away of Woizlawa, the House of Mecklenburg, branch Schwerin, is on the verge of extinction with two females still living:

Donata von Solodkoff, Herzogin zu Mecklenburg (1956)
Edwina von Posern, Herzogin zu Mecklenburg (1960)

Donata and Edwina are daughters of Christian-Ludwig Ernst August Maximilian Johann Albrecht Adolf Friedrich Herzog zu Mecklenburg and of Barbara Irene Adelheid Viktoria Prinzessin von Preußen.

https://www.suedkurier.de/region/hoc...72594,10172895[/B]