The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Official Royal Jewels (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f233/)
-   -   A New Crown for Canada? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f233/a-new-crown-for-canada-16349.html)

PrinceOfCanada 03-18-2008 12:41 PM

A New Crown for Canada?

So I was thinking the other night.. given that India, prior to repatriation, had its own Imperial Crown, should Canada also have its own crown for use within the country?

Yes, of course, St. Edwards' is used as the symbol of the Crown in Canada (coats of arms, etc), but as much as HM is my Queen as a British citizen, she is also my Queen as a Canadian citizen quite separately from the British Crown. I think it would be nice to have a specifically Canadian (designed and manufactured) crown for her (or Charles, eventually, God willing it's a long ways away) to wear on State occasions within Canada, for the Opening of Parliament (and even Provincial legislatures), to be used on coats of arms in place of St. Edwards', etc.

There have been references to the 'Maple Crown', though that refers to the abstract Crown entity, not the physical object. Of course, a crown design featuring alternating maple leaves and fleurs-de-lis would be wonderfully appropriate.

Then again, there's the issue of who would pay... but the opportunity to really showcase Canadian artisans would be worth it to the government.

What do you think?

(Posted here instead of in the Jewels forum b/c it seems to be more appropriate. Mods, pls correct me if I'm wrong.)

Elspeth 03-18-2008 01:03 PM

I think it'll be better in the Jewels forum, but I'll leave a redirect so that people can find the thread from here.

One argument in favour of a separate crown is that the Imperial State Crown can't be taken out of Britain, so it means that for opening Parliament or whatever, the Queen tends to wear one of her tiaras, which doesn't lend as much weight to the proceedings as a crown.

But with all this talk of republicanism in Australia and Canada, do you think this is a realistic idea?

PrinceOfCanada 03-18-2008 02:23 PM

Well, I don't honestly think that republicanism in Canada will be any more successful than in the UK--less, in fact, for the simple reason that the Crown is embedded very firmly in our Constitution (signed by HM in 1982). Amendment of the Constitution requires a whole lot of hoops to be jumped through, which given the inability of governments in the past (See: Meech Lake Accord, Charlottetown, etc) I think is unlikely to succeed.

Moreover, doesn't HM have to provide consent for Parliament to even discuss any issues which affect the Royal Prerogative? Abolition of the Monarchy would, I think, quite naturally affect the Royal Prerogative, so HM could quite easily tell Parliament that they can't even discuss the issue. As she did when she refused to allow consent for Parliament to discuss declaring war on Iraq unilaterally, without her approval. Well, I think that would work, anyway.
I mean, yes, there have been some quietly anti-Monarchist moves in Canadian policy over the past three-four decades: Letters of Accreditation are now in the Governor-General's name, and when our current GG (the wonderful Michaelle Jean) read the last Speech from the Throne, there were no references to HM in the preamble or indeed throughout the text (memory is failing me, but it was something along the lines of saying 'the' government as opposed to 'my' government, or something similar).

The only reason I could see republicanism being successful in Canada is on a financial basis; a Presidency (*shudder*) would cost just as much as HM and the G-G and provincial Lieutenants-Governor, if not more, without any return on revenue. In the UK, of course, the Crown Estate offsets all that cost (though I've wondered: if Parliament were to ever go ahead and tell the Monarchy to naff off, would HM be legally able to say "Right then, well, the Crown Estate is mine, so theres two hundred million quid annually you'll be losing, not to mention the several billion in land value"? The arrangement of the CE and the Civil List is by convention only; it's renewed by the Monarch at the beginning of each reign, and while experts seem to agree it would be constitutionally, ummmm... unwise for the Monarch to refuse to renew it, one has to wonder what the position would be if the Monarch were being deposed.)

Errr... this has all gone rather far afield. Let's talk about shiny glittery things! ;)

Huh.. just had a thought: one could probably argue that most if not all of the diamonds in the Crown Jewels (or, at least the more recent bits of bling like the ISC) are the products of slavery; 'blood diamonds'. Any diamonds in the putative Canadian State Crown would of necessity come from Canadian mines...

Claire 03-18-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Huh.. just had a thought: one could probably argue that most if not all of the diamonds in the Crown Jewels (or, at least the more recent bits of bling like the ISC) are the products of slavery; 'blood diamonds'. Any diamonds in the putative Canadian State Crown would of necessity come from Canadian mines...
As a South African I am offended. South African diamonds are not blood diamonds.

BeatrixFan 03-18-2008 02:32 PM

"Blood diamonds" is a term used to describe wealth gained from slavery or colonisation. It's not a slur on South Africa, far from it.

PrinceOfCanada 03-18-2008 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire (Post 743551)
As a South African I am offended. South African diamonds are not blood diamonds.

Um, sorry, but two things:

1) If anything, it was a slur against the British for purchasing diamonds obtained via slave (or close-to-slave) labour.

2) Actually, South African diamonds, like most diamonds worldwide, are the product of an industry whose brutality is eclipsed only by the mindboggling sums of money involved. I apologize if you find that offensive, and I know that many diamond producers have cleaned up their acts in recent years, but the fact remains: diamonds, for the most part, have a long and brutal history.

Elspeth 03-18-2008 04:28 PM

Just a reminder about our rules about limiting political discussion to matters directly related to royalty.

Are there serious efforts going on in Canada to create a Canadian crown?

PrinceOfCanada 03-18-2008 04:45 PM

Not my knowledge, no. Just something that popped into my head the other night. Perhaps it's not something that can be done in EIIR's reign; it might (if there were support for it) be more appropriate for CIIIR's Coronation. I think it would be an excellent symbolic gesture, though.

Thomas Parkman 03-20-2008 09:06 PM

But my goodness, good people. I understand, and please correct me if I am wrong, that emeralds have been found in Canada??? How marvelous. And are there diamonds too. By all means let us scoop up lots of goodies from the snow clad north while it is still snow clad and create the Honours of Canada. Let us see, a crown with all kinds of diamonds, emeralds, pearls and sapphires with an occasionals ruby or maybe lots of rubies and diamonds with a few other goodies thrown in, an orb belted with rows of diamonds of the finest water with a large sapphire or emeralds on top, a scepter with the largest diamond that can be found , ring and of course a diamond dripping or diamond encrusted chain with a little Canadian gold or platinum to hold all those gorgeous stones together. Let us create the Order of the Morning Star as the Highest Order of the Dominion of Canada and have the chain and star as part of the regalia. I am positively drooling, figuratively speaking, at the prospect of all this. It is unsettling my nerves, I must go fix on chocolate. We should all send an Humble Petition and Loyal Address to Her Majesty and bombs away. Cheeers.

PS. Please do not report any of this to the men in white suits or they will have me committed.

PrinceOfCanada 03-21-2008 01:14 AM

Oh Thomas, you have warmed the very cockles of my heart.

I don't think, though, that an Orb would be appropriate. Canada is a vastly diverse, multicultural, -ethnic, and -religious (and, haha, -religious) society. An Orb is an un apologetically Christian symbol, which would not fit our national makeup.

However..

If we were to create a non-traditional Orb, without the cross pattee on top, symbolizing the world (and one would hope, incorporating Aboriginal symbols of peace and unity), that I think would be quite lovely, and very fitting.

The sceptre, I think, wouldn't be necessary. We have the Mace that sits in Parliament; I think that would absolutely serve. HM is invested with the symbolic power of the Mace at coronation, and then the Mace itself serves in Parliament as a symbol of power and authority quite separate from the Sovereign. A powerful symbol, no? Because that's what the Monarchy is, after all; a symbol of power and authority. The power and the authority are vested in the office, not the individual holder of the office, which is really the basis of why monarchies still exist.

Thomas Parkman 03-22-2008 01:50 PM

Dh, no, no, no. NO ORB???? Horrors. Come, Come, Your Highness. You disappoint me. As symbols let them have a golden orb with belts of diamonds bedecked with various other gemstones. As for putting a cross on it. By all means. If anybody complains, just say it is another excuse to put more diamonds on the gorgeous contraption and be done with it. I think this diversity business has gotten to the point of the utterly ridiculous.

Just get your hands on Michael, Prince of Greece "The Jewels of the Tsars." Once you have lain your famished eyes on the orb in that little book of imperial trinkets you will say no more about no more orbs. And you will agree that if the diamonds are magnificent enough who gives a hoot if it is a cross. Buddhists, Hindus, Moslems, Atheists, aboriginal shamanists, agnostics and everybody else all the way up to High Church Anglicans, Greek Orthodox and Latin Mass Catholics can drool together on the sheer magnificence of it. And there is nothing so good for national unity as everybody getting together and having a good drool.

As for no scepter, really, that is a bit much. The British scepter is a sublime contraption. That enourmous diamond on the top of it is enough to stop traffic, which is what it is supposed to do. Take a look at the Russian one with the Orlov diamond. It is not as magnificent but will do in a pinch. Prince Orlov tried to buy his way back into the favour of Catherine II (the Great???) and she, being Catherine, took the diamond but did not admit him back to her favour or her bed. She then had the goodie mounted on her scepter, which I think is hilarious.

Surely somebody can go rummaging among the forrests and misquitoes of Labrador and find a decent diamond mine somewhere. A superb mass of glittering jewels held together with a minimum of gold and platinum will do nicely. And will serve perfectly to whack the numbskull politicians in Canada on the knuckles. What?? You have no numbskull politicians in Canada??? May I send you a list of recommendations you can invite to infest your country. Stupid politicians serve all kinds of wonderful social purposes. And one of the marvelous virtues of monarchy is that it detracts attention from the swollen egoists that constitute the great mass of the species. So crown, scepter, orb, collar, star, ring and ermine trimmed cloth of gold cape if you please. With diamonds, lots of diamonds and other wondrous goodies. After all diamonds everybody's best friend. Cheers.

wbenson 03-24-2008 12:14 AM

Perhaps there could be a maple leaf on an orb. Instead of Christ ruling over the world, it's Canada ruling over the world. That's a bit too nationalist, probably.

I would also like the badges for the Sovereign and Chancellor of the Order of Canada to have an optional sash (the collars, unfortunately, don't seem to be all that popular, and a neck or bow badge isn't striking enough; plus a sash looks nice), as well a star.

PrinceOfCanada 03-24-2008 01:43 AM

Ooh, yes. Sashes are lovely. The only problem is how it limits one's choice of outfit for the evening. That being said, the sash for the OC would need to be red and white, which does leave your options open.

Prince of Chota 03-25-2008 03:06 PM

The so-called "blood diamond" debate is quite immaterial. Who ever said a crown had to have diamonds. I think, more than their being of dubious extraction, it might appear too ostentatious and wasteful to create a Canadian crown covered in diamonds. I think it might be a more stately (and realistic) creation were it gold (or gilt) and enamel--something like that. Red enamel maple leaves and gold half-arches and all that...at least, that's what I imagine. I would like to see something more original than the Durbar Crown, while still retaining the characteristic four half-arches and what-not.

Prince of Chota 03-25-2008 03:09 PM

Too much religious imagery might be too divisive. Canada is a diverse nation. Maybe the motif could incorporate the insignia of each province, rather like the unused crown created for Finland.

PrinceOfCanada 03-25-2008 03:28 PM

That's kind of what I was thinking. Hmm, perhaps instead of a cross on the Orb, an inukshuk would be appropriate. A nod to the aboriginal heritage of our fine country.

I was thinking on the crown as I mentioned above that alternating maple leaves and fleurs-de-lis would be most appropriate (and I love the enameling idea), but thinking further, the arches (or perhaps the.. circlet? the base, whatever it's called) should contain beautifully polished stone native to each province--granite from the Canadian Shield for Ontario, for example, would be both unusual and fitting. Whatever the case, it should be made only from materials mined within Canada.

The cap could be woven from wool from PEI sheep, maybe, or Canadian-farmed silkworms as a tribute to the countless Chinese immigrants who helped build the railways. Fur trim is of course intensely problematic. Can't use fake for obvious reasons, but can't really use real fur..

Wait.. aren't half-arches the symbol of Imperial crowns? or is it the way the arches are shaped?

Prince of Chota 03-25-2008 03:38 PM

Half-arches are for royal crowns. Imperial crowns are usually enclosed (India's is an exception, as it was designed more to mimic the British crowns)

Prince of Chota 03-25-2008 03:39 PM

Look at the examples of the Russian and Austrian crowns.

Much older crowns used half-arches for emperors (Crown of the Holy Roman Empire), but after the 16th century and the inflation of royal titles to "Majesty", this changed.

PrinceOfCanada 03-25-2008 04:17 PM

Ahh, thank you for the correction.

Prince of Chota 03-25-2008 05:14 PM

Of course, maybe HM could become "Empress of Canada"...have a Windsor be Queen-Empress again. Hahaha...Canada is the second largest country in terms of area, isn't it?

PrinceOfCanada 03-25-2008 05:41 PM

Sadly, I think any change would prompt a bunch of mouthbreathers screaming for a republic. Pity.

Also, while I think 'Empress' sounds beautifully regal, I find 'Emperor' to be.. I don't know, a little too autocratic in flavour.

heathshire 03-25-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince of Chota (Post 745929)
The so-called "blood diamond" debate is quite immaterial. Who ever said a crown had to have diamonds. I think, more than their being of dubious extraction, it might appear too ostentatious and wasteful to create a Canadian crown covered in diamonds. I think it might be a more stately (and realistic) creation were it gold (or gilt) and enamel--something like that. Red enamel maple leaves and gold half-arches and all that...at least, that's what I imagine. I would like to see something more original than the Durbar Crown, while still retaining the characteristic four half-arches and what-not.

Canada mines their own diamonds that in my mind are much clearer and prettier then regular diamonds, and in no way can be considered Blood diamonds.
Discover the Amazing Story of Canadian diamonds

One question I have is who would wear this crown? The queen hardly visits Canada!

Fashionista100 03-25-2008 07:19 PM

I think Maple leaves would be good. Of course a white and red motiff would be good too. If you were to do something that represented each provence then maybe carve a cameo like pieces like the Swedish tiara. Then of course you could incorporate berries, flowers etc. there is a lot to choose from.

PrinceOfCanada 03-26-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heathshire (Post 746046)
One question I have is who would wear this crown? The queen hardly visits Canada!

Well, the Queen when she visits, of course, but mostly I imagine it would remain on display as a symbol, and used in much the same way that the State Crown is used for the State Opening of Parliament in the UK. Well, except that the G-G wouldn't actually wear it while giving the Speech from the Throne, of course..

wbenson 03-26-2008 04:22 PM

Rare use is hardly an argument for not making a crown. The Queen Mother's was only used three times (her coronation, her daughter's coronation (minus the arches), and her funeral)!

Prince of Chota 03-27-2008 03:12 PM

Obviously it would do a lot of sitting around in Ottowa, but it might actually be worth it. There could be a competition for the design among Canadian artists, which would be very interesting itself. It could really be a step toward bringing the monarchy into the 21st century,--a study in what a crown means today.

PrinceOfCanada 03-28-2008 09:21 AM

Exactly. Of course, given the general historical trend in hideous Canadian public art, there would need to be some really, really strict guidelines. E.g., must look like an actual crown, must be made of precious metals, must not be made of rotting meat, etc.

jcbcode99 03-28-2008 11:04 AM

What a wondeful idea! Canada should have a crown--and I do believe that maple leaves alternating with some other element would be wonderfully appropriate. I am reminded of the Oak Leaves and acorn tiara which the Duke of Norfolk had created for his bride, Gwendolyn Constable--I have a picture, but no scanner. The Injustice! The design is lovely, although it is a tiara not a crown, it gives a lovely image of diamond leaves.
The crown should not be overly large--but it need not be small, either. I'm envisioning something like the piece HM wears to the opening of Parliament--that's beautiful.
As for an orb--we must have one. Something simple, with simple lines of jewels running about the piece.

Warren 03-28-2008 11:49 AM

Can I help? Illustration services to the rescue. :biggrin:
I'm sure a better photo would make it less brown and more glittering, but diamonds are hard to photograph to do them justice.

(discussed in Janet's post above)

jcbcode99 03-28-2008 03:42 PM

Warren, I can always count on you and your wonderfully extensive library to illustrate or clarify something for me! YOU, Warren, are the GEM!
I do love this piece--the acorns especially. It is truly a magnificant piece of workmanship. I would love to see someone wearing it.

Thomas Parkman 04-05-2008 12:59 PM

No, NO, NO , NOOOOOO!!!!!! It must be an absolutely traditional crown with orb and scepter. The whole point, which everybody seems to forget, the monarchy is an atavistic institution. Which is the whole point. It is the celebration of centuries, indeed millenia of dare I say it, tribal unity. The enduring of a civilization and its values and institutions for dozens of generations. The crown is an outward symbol of that unity.

I personally am delighted that Canada has a diamond mine. Surely there must be more out there somewhere. I also know that they have emeralds. Now we must dig up some rubies and sapphires and we will be in business. I guess we will have to import the pearls. Cheers.

Mermaid1962 04-05-2008 01:08 PM

Well, given that Canada's originally made up of two European nations (Britain and France) plus all the First Nations (aboriginals), I think that Empress is an appropriate term as well.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince of Chota (Post 746006)
Of course, maybe HM could become "Empress of Canada"...have a Windsor be Queen-Empress again. Hahaha...Canada is the second largest country in terms of area, isn't it?

Mermaid1962 04-05-2008 01:09 PM

That's my feeling as well, Prince. Best to let sleeping Royal dogs lie...and I'm not talking about corgies.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada (Post 746020)
Sadly, I think any change would prompt a bunch of mouthbreathers screaming for a republic. Pity.

Mermaid1962 04-05-2008 01:10 PM

It would certainly be wonderful PR for the Canadian gems industry!:flowers:

PrinceOfCanada 04-05-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman (Post 750059)
No, NO, NO , NOOOOOO!!!!!! It must be an absolutely traditional crown with orb and scepter. The whole point, which everybody seems to forget, the monarchy is an atavistic institution. Which is the whole point. It is the celebration of centuries, indeed millenia of dare I say it, tribal unity. The enduring of a civilization and its values and institutions for dozens of generations. The crown is an outward symbol of that unity.

I agree in theory, but the fact is that Canada is a much more determinedly multicultural society than almost anywhere else in the world. Our national identity is a mosaic; that of the USA for example is a melting pot.

So we should stay away from overtly Christian symbolism and be more inclusive. It's what we do up here :)

Quote:

I personally am delighted that Canada has a diamond mine. Surely there must be more out there somewhere. I also know that they have emeralds. Now we must dig up some rubies and sapphires and we will be in business. I guess we will have to import the pearls. Cheers.
I don't think we would.. there are massive oyster beds in PEI for example.

Thomas Parkman 04-06-2008 04:44 PM

And who, pray, is going to be diving into the Gulf of St. Lawrence looking for pearls. That water gets COLD. I would have thought that by now there would have been pearl fishing if it were feasable. But it seems not. I still say stick a cross on the contraption, it is simply a way to display more diamonds if nothing else. And there are no Christians in Canada????

PrinceOfCanada 04-07-2008 08:06 AM

There are, of course; I believe that Christianity (all denominations) is the majority religious group in Canada. That doesn't really mean anything, though. The cross pattee is an exclusively and overtly Christian symbol, and thus excludes those of other faiths. Remember of course that while HM is the titular head of the Anglican church, there is no established church in Canada.

Prince of Chota 04-29-2008 06:16 PM

The only way to get a crown for Canada without causing a fuss would be to sort of sneak one in between monarchs, for example the first time that the next sovereign visits the country, etc. Otherwise, the Republicans really would throw a fit.

wbenson 08-29-2008 11:47 PM

A new military medal shows the Queen wearing a (fictional) diadem with alternating maple leaves and snowflakes.

Warren 08-30-2008 12:32 AM

Umm, the tiara is novel but I must say that the likeness is poor and not up to the usual standard of coinage likenesses (or at least those we have in Australia).

Elspeth 08-30-2008 02:40 AM

Good grief, she looks like Ena Sharples. What in the world were they thinking?

Thomas Parkman 08-30-2008 12:25 PM

Pooh!!! Let the blasted republicans throw all the fits they want!!! They all need and crave something to have a fit about. If they ever got that wretched republic they so long for they would be off on some other tangent to "imrove the world". that is the problem all these do gooders who have never learned that the grass is very seldom if ever greener on the other side of the fence. Ah, but it is wonderful that Canada has diamonds, now can we find somewhere that they have sapphires or maybe even rubies, pant, drool, quiver?????? Just think of what we could do with a crown on the order of the Russian Imperial diadem, a helmet if you will of diamonds, pearls and a giant spinel, in place of which we would use all those lovely rubies or whatever.
BTW> Who on earth is Ena Sharples??? Cheers.

Warren 08-30-2008 01:53 PM

Oh Thomas, don't let Ena Sharples and glittering Canadian diamonds distract you. The focus of your attention should be on the new medal shown on the previous page. I'm sure you'll have an opinion on the likeness of Her Majesty, although the term "likeness" is something of an overstatement.

Elspeth 08-30-2008 08:32 PM

Ena Sharples

Shaiya 08-30-2008 08:59 PM

I'm for a republican Canada and I definitely don't think taxpayers should have to pay for a fancy piece of jewlery for the Queen who visits like every few years. I have a great respect for her but she has enough crowns, tiaras and jewels. I think that we should focus on using our money to support things like inner-city schools and improving healthcare or something that has a productivity value. If someone were willing to privately fund this crown though, then by all means, go for it.

Thomas Parkman 08-31-2008 07:50 PM

Oh, Lord, deliver us. Must you Warren. I mean, did you really have to??? I was trying to be a gentlemen, which really is a terrible strain, as you and my psychiatrists, social workers and needle toting attendants in white suites know only too well and overlook it in the fervent hope that it like "wind" at a wedding would just go away. So We have her Most Excellent Majesty Elizabeth II in some idiotic Canadian whatnot contrapted no doubt by some dyed in the wool republican looking for all the world like our Miss Brooks in a rinestone tiara by Woolworth. As for Ena Snarples or whatever the wretches name is or was, the less said the Better.

But now if somebody could dredge up somewhere more photos-are there any in Canada perchance?-- of the Fife tiara?? and contribute to my joy. Of course I did find two more half gallons of chocolate ice cream in my storage refigerator-so would you people please give me an excuse to go eat some of it. cheers.

Mermaid1962 08-31-2008 08:55 PM

Snowflakes? Why would we Canadians want to think more about winter than we already have to?;)

How about a velvet toque with small maple leaves, tiny moose antlers and miniature beavers embroidered around the edges? Okay, now I'm just being silly.

I have no problem with a Canadian crown of some kind using Canadian diamonds. :flowers: But no snowflakes, please....

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 817059)
A new military medal shows the Queen wearing a (fictional) diadem with alternating maple leaves and snowflakes.

Thomas Parkman 09-05-2008 11:23 AM

Or why not just go the Nepalese route, for the design of crowns that is or Russian and just concoct a helmet, more or less of gold and platinum and cover it with the most enormous diamonds that could be found, begged, borrowed or stolen. Plop on some Huge colored goodie worth several kings ransom and be done with it. If you must have some kind of design, well they do have flowers in Canada, don't they or is it too cold for that too. Find a simple wildflower that grows all over the place, is beautiful and contrapt diamonds or fancy diamonds or whatever into that and dot the helmet, tastefully, of course, with them and be done with it. Get a five strand diamond collar to go with it and scepter and there you go. Cheers.

Prince of Chota 09-24-2008 10:19 PM

I don't really know if the idea of a "crown" means all that much in Canada.

Perhaps it should be a leather cap with antlers out both sides in the style of the headdress of the Tadadaho of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederation. ;-)

Warren 09-24-2008 11:13 PM

:previous:
It might work if there were diamonds dangling from the ends of the antlers. :smile:

jcbcode99 09-27-2008 12:07 AM

Queen Mary dangled diamonds from everywhere and it worked for her--so.....

Picmajik 02-12-2009 05:11 PM

Now that's a Photoshop challenge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 828367)
:previous:
It might work if there were diamonds dangling from the ends of the antlers. :smile:

where's my program...

Thomas Parkman 02-16-2009 02:53 PM

Well, good people, one must understand that there are dangles and there are dangles. Good Queen Mary, of happy memory, was totally and completely shameless and brazen and positively flaunted in a style so similar to the princely houses of India all her massive, and I do mean massive goodies. She was magnificent. We must be careful now, not that we should not be brazen, but that our dear royals should not be Over Brazen. That is the trick. Of course being the stomacher creep that I am, and I do love a good stomacher-shame and disgrace they have gone out of style-it is a pity that a superb stomacher could not be part of the regalia of Canada and the King, as well as the Queen, should be expected to wear it.
Antlers, don't be ridiculous. You must understand that there is a infinite difference between being brazen, shameless and magnificent and being ridiculous. Let's see, crown, loaded with all the diamonds, emeralds, rubies, sapphires and pearls one can put on top of one head, an orb, a scepter, also loaded and royal stomacher, ring, and bracelets. All glittering enough in the dark to light up a sports arena. Now there would be regalia indeed. Every Canadian could positively swell up with pride and burst. Cheers.

Warren 02-17-2009 03:50 AM

A welcome return Thomas, and in good form too! :flowers:

RoyalistRiley 06-24-2009 05:26 AM

I think it would be a great idea for Canada to have a separate crown, along with Australia. It would re-enforce the idea that the Queen reigns separately from all of her other realms, which seems to be one of the main points republicans can't accept. The main issue would be whether the cost is worth something that would sit in a museum in Ottawa (or Canberra:smile::ausflag:) and be used once every few years when a royal visit co-incides with the opening of parliament.

Perhaps a diadem similar to the one featured in the medal where the Queen looks like Ena Sharples for each realm willing to pay would be more appropriate and cost-effective.

Sam20045 01-04-2011 06:51 AM

Crown for Australia

I believe that if Canada can have a crown...then all Commonwealth Realms should have a crown..at least ones which desire a crown. I believe Australia should have a crown. The Waratah Crown or the Wattle Crown.

dianahayden 01-11-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam20045 (Post 1184897)
I believe that if Canada can have a crown...then all Commonwealth Realms should have a crown..at least ones which desire a crown. I believe Australia should have a crown. The Waratah Crown or the Wattle Crown.

I think Wattle Crown.;)

JennahPc 05-16-2011 08:45 PM

Interesting topic! I just saw this post on Facebook and thought that it was interesting because the designer is a Jewellery professor at a College in Canada. I think that this is a beautiful tiara.

Diamonds from Royal Asscher grace Great Britain’s Crown Jewels. Because Royalty is our specialty, Royal Asscher took the opportunity to design a beautiful tiara that will highlight Catherine’s beauty.

The Tiara by jewelry designer Reena Ahluwalia for Royal Asscher, is set with 36 Royal Asscher Cut diamonds, as well as pear and round shaped white diamonds. Vintage inspired tiara is placed on the forehead, inspired by placement of the Strathmore Tiara. Reena.Kate Middleton Royal Asscher Cut Tiara by Reena Ahluwalia | Facebook

Grandduchess24 10-01-2011 02:53 PM

I think that Canada doesn't need a crown and is fine the way it is as a commonwealth realm having a crown through would probably make Canada more interesting and have mote tourists come and it Judy won't be to see Niagara falls .

NGalitzine 10-01-2011 03:30 PM

If there was a crown of Canada who would ever wear it and when? Would the Governor General wear it when installed or when opening parliament? Would only the monarch ever wear it? On what occassion? Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada but has only ever opened parliament on 2 or 3 occassions. Seems like it would be an expensive relic rarely if ever worn and left to be displayed for visiting Americans when they come to Ottawa but having no meaning to Canadians. I think Canada is doing fine as it is without creaing its own crown. 140+ yrs after Confederation this idea is probably too late to take hold.

PS , Canada is a very large country that has more to offer tourists than just Niagara Falls.

PrincessKaimi 10-01-2011 03:59 PM

I think the people who are trying to get advertising for Canadian diamonds don't care how often it's worn.

Mermaid1962 10-01-2011 04:13 PM

A lot of money spent on a Canadian crown would be fuel for republicans. In a way, I like the symbolism of the idea; but I don't think it's feasible.

LordofPride 01-04-2012 07:03 PM

Its strange, but I was just thinking about this. I think that a Canadian State Crown would be a marvelous symbol of Royal Authority. The Sovereign would obviously be the only person to wear it, during our State Opening of Parliament it could be displayed before the Governor-General so to symbolize the authority of the Sovereign. I hear they do the same thing for the Opening of the Scottish Parliament.

While I don't see this Crown being made in the near-future. Where would it be kept? We don't exactly have a spare Tower of London lying around Ottawa, maybe at Rideau Hall, it is the Official Residence of the Sovereign. Or at Le Citadelle in Quebec City. It is a Fortress after all and a Residence of the Governor General.