The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Daniel's Future: Discussion (his role, title, orders, pressure etc.) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f120/daniels-future-discussion-his-role-title-orders-pressure-etc-16127.html)

Josefine 02-24-2009 04:31 PM

i have seen that he will be duke and prince but will it be HRH

HRHofNothing 02-24-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josefine (Post 899011)

Yes there seems to be a lot of confusion wether he will be a HRH or not. Also, he did not get a Dukedom of his own- he will share Victoria's.

lucien 02-24-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josefine (Post 899011)

Yes ofcourse he will be HRH.Like his counterparts in The Netherlands,Denmark,Belgium,UK....etc..

Any discussion on his fututre is moot to a fault.No-one here knows anything about it.Nada.Niente.Almost no-one.
But one can be sure that this/these matters are dealt with in the near future.And,comparing one Monarchy with
the other and the respective tasks goes limp too.

Sweden is a solely representative model Monarchy thus having its entirely specific status among the european
Monarchies and its specific tasks constitutionally for members of the Royal House..

Kotroman 02-25-2009 06:11 AM

I hope that Daniel will be given the title of King (consort) of Sweden. If Sweden wanted to bring equality among the genders by introducing equal primogeniture, then it seems logical to me that husband of the Queen would be King just like wife of the King is Queen. They're already following my logic, by giving Daniel princely title and the title of Duke of Västergötland (the title born by Victoria).

I don't think that husband should share his wife's title, but I'm not convinced that equal primogeniture is the right way of succession either. If they want equality, then they should go for it in every aspect. Yet I'm afraid that Daniel will be prince consort only, regardless of the fact that it would be too patriarchal for modern society.

PrinceS 03-03-2009 03:49 AM

How to Make Daniel into a Prince

I've read a few tidbits here and there that Daniel was put into some kind of rigorous training recently to improve his acceptability as a future consort. After searching the forum I can't locate precisely what that entailed. So does anybody know the details of what went into this training period, what he was taught, what he had to give up, etc... Thanks!

Jacknch 03-03-2009 05:22 AM

Oh this is brilliant question! It would be interesting to know what Daniel's training has been or more likely what it's going to be over the next year or so before the wedding! Personally, I suspect he has a fair idea of some of the various protocols which he will have picked up over the last few years. I think that his training will depend very much on what kind of role the palace sees for him and whether he will take up charitable interests. Anyone else have any thoughts on this question?

Jacknch 03-03-2009 06:13 AM

I think that, as previous posts have suggested, the title King and Queen should be reserved for the actual monarch only and their spouse hold the title Prince/Princess Consort or just Prince/Princess. It seems that this is what will happen in Britain when Charles comes to the throne and Camilla will (we are told) be Princess Consort.

I can understand that if you have full equality with titles then the husband of a reigning queen ought to have the benefit of his wife's title but until this actually happens in reality, I think people may feel it sounds odd!

Incidentally, people may have heard of the island of Sark in the Channel Islands which was (until recently) one of the last feudal states in the world. Sark is governed by a feudal lord called a Seigneur. Earlier in the 1900's the Seigneur at the time had no male children and so when he died his daughter Sybil took on the role of Seigneur and was called The Dame of Sark. She got married to an American chap and the feudal law in the island stipulated that as her husband, he would take on the title Seigneur and carry out the duties that came with the job. As it happened, Sybil Hathaway The Dame of Sark who was quite a character and a feisty woman continued to "reign" over the island and make most of the decisions. When her husband died, there was a great dispute as to whether she could continue as Dame of Sark because technically the Seignuer had died and the title should have been passed to her son. It's an interesting story!

lyndaW 03-03-2009 11:47 AM

I did read (some where) that he was "trying" to learn English

Lena 03-03-2009 12:05 PM

I guess, what he could expect would be some studies on geography. Might be, that Victoria had answered it a bit too fast for him, but to say nothing on the question, what he would know about Västergötland was a bit embarrassing ;)

I´ve often read, that he got lessons in English...but there is nothing indicating, that it really was the case. But it surely will be an important part of his "school"
Unlike Letizia he can´t be "silent" really. If he wanna get engaged in "business", as he had suggested it, English would be very important. And so many Swedes are really good in English. The husband of the future Queen, can´t be worse than them...

I don´t think he did spend much time on his "prince school" yet. And all the help, he got with PR, he had self paid and chosen...

sgl 03-03-2009 02:13 PM

I would imagine that he is probably being taught the history of the SRF, as well as Sweden's diplomatic relations throughout history.

HRHofNothing 03-03-2009 03:04 PM

Whatever training it is he needs to commit to it a 100 percent because there will be a lot depending on the outcome

sesa 03-03-2009 03:48 PM

I don't think he would need much in order to fulfill his role as a Prince. Maybe some history lessons on the family he is marrying into, about other places in the country. English lessons if he is not proficient in it.
I think mostly they would need to focus on protocal, and manners. Especially in dealing in state functions. I also think they will need to "polish" his appearance. (starting with gettting rid of those hideaous black framed glasses he always wore.)
But this is just my opinion. He may need more than people of the general public know about or he may need less. But they should definately get him to toss out those glasses!:lol:

Kotroman 03-03-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 902384)
I think that, as previous posts have suggested, the title King and Queen should be reserved for the actual monarch only and their spouse hold the title Prince/Princess Consort or just Prince/Princess. It seems that this is what will happen in Britain when Charles comes to the throne and Camilla will (we are told) be Princess Consort.

You're right - that could happen, but when that happens, I'll stop carrying about that royal family. I could live with one exception if there is a good reason for it, but to set a rule which says that wives of kings will no longer be queens - that would be too much. Wives of kings have been queens for as long as those words exist. I would rather see a monarchy abolished than so deformed :nonono:

Your story about the Sark island is very interesting though!

Avicenna 03-03-2009 05:39 PM

Thanks for sharing, Jacknch. Never heard this before. Very interesting.
:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 902384)

I can understand that if you have full equality with titles then the husband of a reigning queen ought to have the benefit of his wife's title but until this actually happens in reality, I think people may feel it sounds odd!

Incidentally, people may have heard of the island of Sark in the Channel Islands which was (until recently) one of the last feudal states in the world. Sark is governed by a feudal lord called a Seigneur. Earlier in the 1900's the Seigneur at the time had no male children and so when he died his daughter Sybil took on the role of Seigneur and was called The Dame of Sark. She got married to an American chap and the feudal law in the island stipulated that as her husband, he would take on the title Seigneur and carry out the duties that came with the job. As it happened, Sybil Hathaway The Dame of Sark who was quite a character and a feisty woman continued to "reign" over the island and make most of the decisions. When her husband died, there was a great dispute as to whether she could continue as Dame of Sark because technically the Seignuer had died and the title should have been passed to her son. It's an interesting story!

Jo of Palatine 03-04-2009 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kotroman (Post 899384)
I hope that Daniel will be given the title of King (consort) of Sweden. If Sweden wanted to bring equality among the genders by introducing equal primogeniture, then it seems logical to me that husband of the Queen would be King just like wife of the King is Queen. They're already following my logic, by giving Daniel princely title and the title of Duke of Västergötland (the title born by Victoria).

I don't think that husband should share his wife's title, but I'm not convinced that equal primogeniture is the right way of succession either. If they want equality, then they should go for it in every aspect. Yet I'm afraid that Daniel will be prince consort only, regardless of the fact that it would be too patriarchal for modern society.

We may even see a replay of what happened on the Swedish throne in 1718/1720: Queen Ulrike Eleonore, daughter of king Karl XI. of Sweden became queen after her brother, king Karl XII. died childless. She was married to prince Frederick of Hesse-Kassel, whom she wanted to make into her Co-king regnant. The parliament of Sweden refused her wish but after two years, they allowed the queen to abdicate in favour of her husband and made him king in his own right....

So there is a precedence in Swedish history and it happened at a time when parliament decided who should be king - just like it does so again in today's time.

rop81 03-08-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sesa (Post 902646)
I also think they will need to "polish" his appearance. (starting with gettting rid of those hideaous black framed glasses he always wore.)
But this is just my opinion. He may need more than people of the general public know about or he may need less. But they should definately get him to toss out those glasses!:lol:

Well Daniel didn´t wear the glasses at the engagementintervjue, and imo the result wasn´t really good... I think that he should from now on wear those glasses in most his apperances (maybe not the wedding..)

bertie5252003 03-08-2009 09:48 PM

He will absolutely have to speak English heavens above that goes without saying surely. Though I am not a huge fan of his never have been I hope what ever they do with him and there is work to be done that he embraces it and does not let this lovely girl down.

Shaiya 03-08-2009 10:41 PM

I think that he's doing a great job so far. He's obviously a little bit camera shy, but other than that, he's doing well. He needs to study English and learn about all the usual royal customs of other countries for foreign visits. I think the glasses makes him look better, but he looked good at the press conferences. There's no need for him to get like plastic surgery or anything! I think he looked "polished" enough at the press conference and the royal family's official announcement video. Just keep it up!

hamlet 03-09-2009 05:56 PM

Good thoughts and good memories.

That is a good start.

Peace,

knoepfchen1988 03-10-2009 06:30 AM

To many people think that Daniel is a dumb person. But I think he don't needs to learn that much.
He went to school like everyone in Sweden and so it isn't possible that he is uneducated. Victoria is an intelligent person an I don't think that she would love somebody who is uneducated.
In a relationship it is important that both have the same level of intelligence so I think that Daniel is intelligent enough. He couldn't administrate his own enterprise when he was so dumb as everyone think he is.
I don't like it that many people plant him dumb and ingorant.