The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/)
-   -   Danish Crown Princely Family Visit to Australia: August-September 2008 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f32/danish-crown-princely-family-visit-to-australia-august-september-2008-a-16087.html)

Princess Robijn 02-28-2008 01:14 PM

Danish Crown Princely Family Visit to Australia: August-September 2008

TRH the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, HRH Prince Christian and HRH Princess Isabella will visit Tasmania, Australia, August 2008.

(Source: Billed Bladet No. 9)!

dazzling 02-28-2008 01:30 PM

August? thats a long way. I thought it would be sometime soon, before or just after Joachims wedding.
Thanks for the update.

RachelD 02-28-2008 03:12 PM

Oh wow! Can't wait to see them in Australia! Those will be some awesome pictures!!

Amelia 02-28-2008 03:14 PM

I wonder if they are waiting till August for the Olympics, if they are going to be in China it would be very easy to go from there to Tasmania.

UserDane 02-28-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amelia (Post 735254)
I wonder if they are waiting till August for the Olympics, if they are going to be in China it would be very easy to go from there to Tasmania.

Sounds plausible Amelia.
Do we know whether Mary will accompany Frederik to the olympics? Or will she perhaps spend some more time with her relatives in Australia.

Amelia 02-28-2008 04:35 PM

I guess that she could do both. Stay at the olympics for a while and then head to Tasmania. Might be hard, however, with two small children!

TLLK 02-28-2008 04:38 PM

Is this a private visit or will the CP couple tack on a few duties while in Australia?

marmi 02-28-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 735319)
Is this a private visit or will the CP couple tack on a few duties while in Australia?

I would say that given that the source is Billed Bladet, it will likely be a private visit, with perhaps another photo opportunity like the one at the wildlife park.
I would love another official visit though. :flowers:

Amelia 02-28-2008 05:02 PM

Isn't it a bit soon for another official visit. I know that Mary was born in Australia but really they have no offical ties like the British Royal family. Maybe in a few years they could do another one but I don't think they should just yet!

norwegianne 02-28-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane (Post 735313)
Sounds plausible Amelia.
Do we know whether Mary will accompany Frederik to the olympics? Or will she perhaps spend some more time with her relatives in Australia.

Billedbladet states that Mary (and then I suppose the children will also be in the vicinity) will want to be at the games when they open, but won't stay for the whole run. She'll (again, according to Billedbladet) leave Frederik in China, and go to Australia alone with the children a week before Frederik joins them. . :flowers:

Australian 02-28-2008 10:50 PM

Is Billedbladet a reliable source? I look forward to this visit, I can't seem to find any news of it in any Aussie sources, perhaps they are not informed yet. I don't think it will be a state visit, it is too soon,i think its more a personal visit for Mary to show her brood to her Australian relatives.

Drottning 02-28-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Australian (Post 735441)
Is Billedbladet a reliable source? I look forward to this visit, I can't seem to find any news of it in any Aussie sources, perhaps they are not informed yet. I don't think it will be a state visit, it is too soon,i think its more a personal visit for Mary to show her brood to her Australian relatives.

I think so, too. A state visit would be a bit much. I am sure she misses seeing her family. I would.

Mandy 06-25-2008 10:01 PM

Here's a news update I received from our member marmi.
Quote:

Source: The Mercury (Mary confirms Tassie trip) (found via Danish Royal Watchers)

Quote:

"We do have our plans this year to come to Australia," she told News Ltd while visiting London.

"I can't wait. It's been quite some time since we've been back in Australia."

The family is expected to travel to Tasmania shortly after the Beijing Olympics in August, eight years after Mary and Frederick met during Sydney's games.
Also, while it doesn't really add anything, further to speculation in the thread:

Quote:

The princess declined to say whether the trip to Australia would include public engagements:

"That's something I can't make any comment on right now," she said.
marmi :flowers:

Mandy 07-20-2008 01:36 AM

Update from Madame Royale

Quote:

DANISH royal couple Princess Mary and Prince Frederik will be in Melbourne next month to attend a private dinner.

https://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...98-661,00.html

Source: Herald Sun.com.au

Mandy 08-10-2008 03:51 PM

Update from Madame Royale

Quote:

The Crown Princess is a confirmed guest at the September 3 launch of the St Vincent's Research and Biotechnology Precinct, in Liverpool Street, Darlinghurst.

https://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...139162882.html

Source: Sydney Morning Herald

UserDane 08-18-2008 02:48 AM

Thank you Mitchell :flowers: - you are so good at picking up pictures. I wasn't even aware that they had already left for Australia. Lots of travelling for Mary in a single week.

Ccile 08-18-2008 03:59 AM

great news!!

Hope we'll be able to see more pics for these holidays even if it's private!!lol

Regina 08-18-2008 09:32 AM

Wow, I can't wait to see pics of Princess Mary and the children in Australia! We got so beautiful pictures last time they were in Australia :smile:
It would be great if they organize some photo session.

grevinnan 08-18-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchell (Post 812866)
The Mercury
Mary in Australia
Princess Mary arrives in Hobart | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania
All the best Mitchell

On the same page is "Mary's Bridesmaid bares all" - Amber still makes the news.

sgl 08-18-2008 11:56 AM

Christian looks like he is having fun while running around and playing in the playhouse. I can't wait to see more photos.

asturiana 08-18-2008 01:31 PM

Billed-Bladet - Nu er Mary og børnene på Tasmanien

sgl 08-18-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asturiana (Post 813015)

What does the article say? The accompanying photo is very cute.

Parrothead 08-18-2008 03:14 PM

Interesting that the newspaper decided to count how many pieces of luggage the family has for the trip. Sounds like a lot, but once my husband, then 6 month old daughter and I went skiing for 5 days and we took 6 pieces of luggage. It's amazing how much "stuff" you have to travel with when you have young children. More power to Mary for flying halfway around the world with two children by herself (and nannies & security). You couldn't pay me to do that! Hope she has a great trip and the papparazi will back off so they can have some private family time.

Regina 08-18-2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchell (Post 812866)
The Mercury
Mary in Australia
Princess Mary arrives in Hobart | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania
All the best Mitchell

Thanks for posting the link.

A tourist said: "The kids were good, we didn't even notice them." Wow, I'm sure it must be hard to keep two small children calm and well behaved during such a long flight.
I'm glad they arrived well and I hope they have wonderful days in Australia.

I'm sure I'll visit this thread a lot of times :flowers:

missjane 08-18-2008 07:20 PM

I am sooo excited that CP Mary is here!! Finally . It seems ages ago that this thread was started. Looking forward to some candid shots and maybe, just maybe an organized photo shoot???? Heres hoping. I hope they have a great stay and enjoy some downtime.

ashelen 08-18-2008 09:01 PM

i wonder what she is yaking in 8 pieces of lugaggae ??/ for how many days she is going?

marmi 08-18-2008 09:07 PM

Im pleased Mary is in Australia, with her family, it must be fantastic for her, I get to see mine neext week and just cant wait.
I'm torn between wanting to see pics of her and wanting her to have a nice private holiday, I certainly wouldnt want the press following me around when I know that I only have a limited time with my family in the country of my birth...
Does anyone know when normalality of engagements in Denmark returns? I dont have to feel guilty about those pics!!!
I would expect Mary to help out with things like carrying her bags when in Oz with her family, she is one of them still after all. Arriving for an official visit somewhere, I would not expect her to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 813143)
i wonder what she is yaking in 8 pieces of lugaggae ??/ for how many days she is going?

Well I thought it said 18, and it seems a huge number, but I guess with such young kids and a climate change, and a decent amount time lots of luggage is to be expected

ashelen 08-18-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmi (Post 813145)
Well I thought it said 18, and it seems a huge number, but I guess with such young kids and a climate change, and a decent amount time lots of luggage is to be expected

yes, you are right 18, sorry for the mistake, still i think it is too much!!! may be she brings presents for all her family and friends, how long they will be there?
i wonder if they have this empty seats by coincidence or they bough the seats so nobody would bother them????? probably beside the nanny , is bodyguards too!

MARG 08-18-2008 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmi (Post 813145)

I thought, one Crown Princess (include formal gear for later in the visit), one nanny, one bodyguard, one small Prince and one smaller Princess, and bob's y're uncle, 18 pieces of luggage! Not an awful lot at all! :biggrin:

Madame Royale 08-18-2008 11:49 PM

'We' aren't really discussing the number of bags brought are we?..haha..It is such a non issue.

We know they'll be here until at least the 4th of September...so a little over two weeks which 'sounds' about right.

I'm sure they'll also buy certain things when they're here, so perhaps one or two suitcases are reserved for such a purpose.

I travel to Europe for but a week, and I take three bags with me. 18 isn't very many for the length of time they intend on holidaying. And as someone else pointed out, perhaps presents for family and friends.

ashelen 08-18-2008 11:59 PM

i sstill thinking 18 is a lot, but of course, as a princess she does not bother to pay for overwight and excess luggage, she can do what ever she wants!

carlota 08-19-2008 12:11 AM

18 bags does certainly seem like a lot. however, i guess perhaps they are bringing over presents and may take things with them, appart from the fact they are travelling with nanny and bodyguard. even so, 18 bags seems like a lot to me!

Madame Royale 08-19-2008 12:11 AM

"She can do what ever she wants". An ignorant comment if ever there was one.

Xeara 08-19-2008 12:40 AM

Just a comment on the interesting "18 pieces of luggage" discussion...I am sure they are not all Mary's things, like others have said...Count them: Mary, Christian, Isabella, Nanny, Security, Frederik, his bodyguard, etc...yes, Mary probably brought Frederik's bags too, like a good wife should so he wouldn't have to cart his share from Beijing to Hobart...ya think? And I am sure there are a few bags of "hand-me-downs" for Mary's sisters perhaps, lucky ladies to get Mary cast offs ;)

marmi 08-19-2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 813171)
'We' aren't really discussing the number of bags brought are we?..haha..It is such a non issue.

Well, I cant speak for the rest, but I am because its such a nice trivial change from the stress and busy-ness that is my everday life right now! :rolleyes:

Quote:

I'm sure they'll also buy certain things when they're here, so perhaps one or two suitcases are reserved for such a purpose.
I'll admit that when we used to travel we always has 1 or 2 spare cases ;)
So it's perfectly possible that thats been considered here too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 813175)
"She can do what ever she wants". An ignorant comment if ever there was one.

Well, I'll agree that its maybe not the best wording, but perhaps the sentiment or meaning that should be taken from this is that she may have more lee-weigh with things such as baggage weight restrictions, financial considerations etc...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeara (Post 813179)
Mary probably brought Frederik's bags too, like a good wife should so he wouldn't have to cart his share from Beijing to Hobart...ya think?

I hadn't thought of that but its certainly a very valid point.

Madame Royale 08-19-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Well, I cant speak for the rest, but I am because its such a nice trivial change from the stress and busy-ness that is my everday life right now! :rolleyes:
Trivial? You got that right...:biggrin:...I'd imagine you've been studying hard? I can certainly understand your need to 'break away' from it all.

Quote:

Well, I'll agree that its maybe not the best wording, but perhaps the sentiment or meaning that should be taken from this is that she may have more lee-weigh with things such as baggage weight restrictions, financial considerations etc...
Not really because 'someone' (or financing body) has to pay, and I hardly think Mary, in the position she's in, would purposely abuse such an arrangement just beacuse "she can". I stand by my initial response...;)

Paty 08-19-2008 03:51 AM

A new article and photo
Mary the mum ventures out | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

Photo Gallery

Princess Mary caused a media frenzy when she ventured out to buy nappies at a West Hobart chemist
Princess Mary in Hobart | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

https://m1.au.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif

marmi 08-19-2008 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 813199)
Trivial? You got that right...:biggrin:...I'd imagine you've been studying hard? I can certainly understand your need to 'break away' from it all.

Not really because 'someone' (or financing body) has to pay, and I hardly think Mary, in the position she's in, would purposely abuse such an arrangement just beacuse "she can". I stand by my initial response...;)

Yes I have been, its been a really hard grind these last 3 weeks but then hopefully I can return to more normal work hours and stress levels before the build up again for exams.
I used to have it so easy and I never even knew it!

Fair enough, thats absolutely your right, and I didnt mean to say that she would purposley abuse the arrangement/her position either, perhaps it comes with being a student and having to pack so carefully when I fly (being overweight can cost more than some of the clothes I own!!!) that my perspective is a bit coloured... :rolleyes: Sorry...

The amount of press following her to buy nappies looks incredible. I realise thats its been a decent amount of time since Mary's been in Australia, but I feel for the woman. Glad she's smiling!

Lena 08-19-2008 06:04 AM

Wow, who would have thought, that its so much fun to buy some nappies. Maybe its really time to go off contraception :rolleyes:

UserDane 08-19-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena (Post 813232)
Wow, who would have thought, that its so much fun to buy some nappies. Maybe its really time to go off contraception :rolleyes:

:biggrin: :biggrin: - can't wait for the pics of the outcome.
It is a bit over the top with all these photographers following her everywhere.

Madame Royale 08-19-2008 07:00 AM

Gee I don't envy her one bit...

As much as it's nice to see photo's of Mary, Frederik and the children, I'd rather not know what they are up to on their private holidays. I haven't seen the pictures and I won't endeavour to look either.

Such is the life of HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark.

Duke of Marmalade 08-19-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 813210)
Princess Mary caused a media frenzy when she ventured out to buy nappies at a West Hobart chemist
Princess Mary in Hobart | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania https://m1.au.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif

That's a pure celebrity and attention stunt, I guess Mary likes to be seen on her private vacation. If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

Gaia 08-19-2008 08:04 AM

Perhaps she wanted to see the store for personal reasons. A friendship with the pharmacist, or just to touch base with something that was a memory. I always cruise my old haunts to catch up when I go home, as I am sure many others do too.

Madame Royale 08-19-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

That's a pure celebrity and attention stunt..
How you can rationalise that statement, I'm not so sure.

She is currently holidaying privately with her family. It is a private occasion, incase you happened to miss that. Everything Mary does while in Tasmania is of a pesonal nature.

Wouldn't be much of a holiday if you're cooped up in your sisters home the whole time, having to judge your every move on the intrusiveness of the media. Quite rediculous and particularly unfair to insinuate she should.

She should be able to do such things without being harassed, and the fact that she can't does not then justify your above statement.

crisscross1 08-19-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 813252)
That's a pure celebrity and attention stunt, I guess Mary likes to be seen on her private vacation. If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

So, it's been reported that the DRF is on a private holiday in Tasmania and they are expected to stay indoors, out of sight for the entire visit? That seems a little sad :ermm:. Mary needs to buy nappies for the little one but she has to send a member of her entourage to buy them? That's a little sad :ermm:. Why is it that Mary and her family can't enjoy a few days off, visiting family without the little parasites buzzing around snapping pictures at every given opportunity? It was reported that the holiday was a private visit, isn't that enough to keep the mosquitoe's away.

Madame Royale 08-19-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

isn't that enough to keep the mosquitoe's away.
Apparently not, Crisscross1. And I agree, how entirely sad.

Jo of Palatine 08-19-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

The question is how much of an entourage she took with her as I guess her sister doesn't employ footmen to go shopping for her. And what sense is there in staying inside the house when you travelled round the world to be home again? Plus the offers in pharmacies, supermarkets and other shops are different in Australia and Denmark if you don't count international brands like those infamous nappies - so going into a shop certainly gave her back a bit of the flair of being back in Tasmania.

Plus it was a good occassion to show the paparazzi and reporters how ridiculous it is what they are doing - just read the reader comments to the Mercury for reporting as frontpage news that Princess Mary bought nappies - of all things... Might make some TV producers and editors think twice if they should pay for the coverage of such events for days on end.

But I hope Mary and her family will be able to find again a secret place in Australia to holiday without paparazzi intrusion, just like they managed the last time the Danish relatives visited. :flowers:

Duke of Marmalade 08-19-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 813258)
How you can rationalise that statement, I'm not so sure.

She is currently holidaying privately with her family. It is a private occasion, incase you happened to miss that. Everything Mary does while in Tasmania is of a pesonal nature.

The Danish like to advertise their private occasions almost as much as if it was an official event. If these visits to Australia are private why do they announce them - partly with an agenda - weeks or month in advance. Given people are interested in an autralian-born danish princess the paparazzi will be around and IMO Mary and Fred do nothing to prevent such a scenario - to me it rather looks as if they feel flattered by Mary's celebrity status in Australia. Yes in an ideal world people should get attention when on business and be left alone when on private occasions but that is only a fairy tale these days.

Hanymph 08-19-2008 08:44 AM

Quote:

Isn't that the Queen of Denmark did her own shopping in a local market when she's in France too? Is that mean she's looking for attention stunt too:rolleyes:

Madame Royale 08-19-2008 08:46 AM

The Danish royals, as with any other royal family, are 'property' of state. They do not advertise their holidays (Summer at Grsten and in France aside, as they are largely considered a tradtion of sorts), but confirm them as is required for them to do so.

Nothing is mentioned about their private holiday (meaning, what it is they shall be doing whilst on holiday) by their court or the royals themselves. Why? Because it's a private vacation.

Only their few formal engagements while on the continent have been noted in the papers and confirmed by the court, officially. Again, that is hardly advertising one's vacation, though it is confirming what is required to be confirmed.

Empress 08-19-2008 10:08 AM

I'm not at all sure why it is Mary's fault that the paparrazzi are taking photos of her when she is buying nappies? Is she not allowed to do any kind of the normal things that a mother does? The poor woman can do no right apparently. Damned if she sends someone else to buy the nappies, as she is being "too demanding and high maintenance and not normal enough" and damned if she goes herself for trying to create media frenzy.

DoM, I think that your assessment of the situation here is a little off base. I mean really, what do you think that she should do when she is on vacation? Stay in her room?

And furthermore, it's not Mary who is creating the demand for these photos, but those of us who look at them and buy the magazines. If we didn't want them, then the papparazzi would not waste their time. They could take heaps of photos of me (not that I would be at all pleased if they did, mind you) but they wouldn't sell a single one, so they aren't likely to are they?

ashelen 08-19-2008 10:12 AM

i suppose she like to do all kind of normal things like she use to do in the past before her marriage, but i am sure she knew that it would be a papparazzi frenzzi, she might enjoy it too and have fun, she is smiling...so i presume she is ok

PrincessofEurope 08-19-2008 10:29 AM

Princess Mary does the shopping run on trip home to Tasmania

Great to see her back home in Australia - its been too long since her last visit

RubyPrincess168 08-19-2008 10:48 AM

I think it's really pathetic that a "diaper run" as we call it is considered a newsworthy event! It just makes the journalists and photographers look foolish!

It would be ridiculous to try and fit them into luggage to take them with you on the plane. And it wouldn't be smart to send a Danish dtaff member out to get them when they have no idea where to go, presumably never having been there before. Besides, it's a vacation - why can't she try to get back a little normalcy?

Trinity 08-19-2008 10:48 AM

Well in all fairness to the media, rembering most have travelled from Denmark and their boss's no doubt want a return on the costs involved, it might not have created such a frenzy if the Danish media co-ordinator had not made the statement below to the press. Also the timimg of the outing and blocking the roads when children were coming out of school. It has been announced that Mary likes to pick up her niece from school, so we will probably get the same media frenzy again.

"Although Danish royal media co-ordinator and former Tasmanian journalist Nina Fudala said no public events were planned, there was a hint that the princess "might be around on Tuesday afternoon".

No-pomp Princess Mary flies in | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

Duke of Marmalade 08-19-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress (Post 813281)
DoM, I think that your assessment of the situation here is a little off base. I mean really, what do you think that she should do when she is on vacation? Stay in her room?

I was referring to the picture

Princess Mary in Hobart | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

which is very celebritiy style and not "private" at all. I am surprised that people announce "private" vacations months ahead and then decide to go and buy nappies at the chemist like Joe Average does only to find themselves - surprise, surprise - surrounded by bodyguards, camera teams and dozens of reporters as if they were popstars or actors. Their last beach vacation was obviously "private" as the pictures show them trying to get away from the public and finally annoyed by paparazzi photos and media intrusion but going to Australia is rather a semi-private "welcome home" tour with the media obviously allowed close by. They can spend their vacation how their want but my definition of "private" is something else.

biboquinhas 08-19-2008 10:55 AM

I think she knew that the moment she steps out of the house she will have thousands of paparazzi around her, but that's life and she knows that!!! She needs to buy some nappes for Isabella and she went to the store, that is a real trivial thing for us, maybe for Mary is her first visit to a supermaket since she become princess and maybe she needed to do something diferent snd to feel like a normal women:flowers: I love to see her dress like this:wub:

Winnie 08-19-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanymph (Post 813266)
Isn't that the Queen of Denmark did her own shopping in a local market when she's in France too? Is that mean she's looking for attention stunt too:rolleyes:

You are correct. The Queen did some shopping (and smiled at the camera the same as Mary) but neither looked for attention. They received it because of who they are but they certainly didn't go out looking for it! I just couldn't imagine what that is like -- to be stalked 27/7! Yikes!

Madame Royale 08-19-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

I was referring to the picture
Then your statement remains entirely unsupported, You cannot base a situation solely on a photograph as you have here done.

Your accusing someone of manufacturing a situation, based on a photographed which was taken not with her permission, during a holiday which is, contrary to what you may believe, a private affair.

They cannot supress the paparazzi from following them, and are unable to prohibit them from taking photographs.

Lena 08-19-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanymph (Post 813266)

Ehm, Ive been Royal watching for about 10 years and there must have been at least 4 series of oh-so-down-to-earth Daisy shopping at the market in France. All high quality.
One could nearly categorise it the same way as the shooting at Graasten. She definitely isnt haunted by Paparazzis, Id rather guess a photographer gets contacted for those pix.
Very much compareable to the sailing show of the Spaniards in summer.
And as we can read out of Trinitys post, it really seems as if the press got indirectly "invited" for Tuesday afternoon...buying nappies for Isabella and Xian (I guess the blue bag is with diapers for him?)...or buying some veggies at the market...isnt it the same show, which should show down-to-earth-ness. As it seems one of her sisters had worked at this store (before she had opened the juice bar), she could have bought those diapers beforehand. No, this must be a show. Royalty biz is a tough one...they have to work with all tricks.
Of course it could be, that this show was also a try to make the Paps feeling "fed-up" with the time, so that they would have at least some relaxing days ;)
But of a "coincidence" in the meaning of a spontaneous shopping tour from Marys side, Id really not speak after Trinitys post (with source)

dee4855 08-19-2008 11:21 AM

DoM once again you have made something of nothing. If she had gone out in a gala dress and tiara then she would have been looking for attention. She is a Mom that went to buy nappies for her babies. Why don't they just lock her and the children up for a month on the little house on the hill. Then maybe in your eyes she would not be looking for attention. She is human, royal or not! She has kids that need nappies. Her schedule is posted just like every other royal family so why pick on her. We know where most of the royals are at all times and what they will be doing.

Duke of Marmalade 08-19-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena (Post 813309)
...isnt it the same show, which should show down-to-earth-ness. As it seems one of her sisters had worked at this store (before she had opened the juice bar), she could have bought those diapers beforehand. No, this must be a show. Royalty biz is a tough one...they have to work with all tricks.
But of a "coincidence" in the meaning of a spontaneous shopping tour from Marys side, Id really not speak after Trinitys post (with source)

Exactly what I meant Lena. What is the point of a private vacation when a "Danish royal media coordinator" (see Trinity's post) is "hinting at" where Mary might make an apprearance on a specific afternoon. She was expecting the media, the media was expecting her so let's make the most of it. As Lena mentioned, royalty biz is a tough one and most royals play the self-promotion game these days ... same with the Spanish during their "semi-private" vacations in Palma.

agnessa 08-19-2008 12:03 PM

I think that private holiday for royals means that there are no public appearance like galas, dinners, openings etc. But talking about journalists - they are there watching royals and this is fact that I'm sure Mary knew long before marriage and looking her it's obvious that she can handle them very well :smile:

Empress 08-19-2008 12:16 PM

DoM, I think that what you and I think of as privacy is something that the Royals can only dream about. Their expectation of privacy is pretty much limited to when they go to the toilet, and I imagine that if the press could get ahold of that, they would too!

They simply don't have the ability to have the same amount of privacy as normal people, as evidenced by the very existence of this and other boards like it. Look at what we are doing. We are dissecting the meaning behind a mother (princess or not) going out to buy nappies for her child. They don't have a private pregnancy, nor do they have private courtships and the like. Letting the world know that they are going on vacation is par for the course. They can't just up and dissappear, even if that were feasible. Firstly some of the people of their country would wonder (yet again) why there is a month or more where they are doing nothing, and secondly the press would find out anyway and hound them all the more.

Why is it that this is such a big deal? I think reading such intent into the smile in the photo is a bit much. Maybe (giving her the benefit of the doubt) she just makes the best out of a less than ideal situation? Maybe her thoughts are that if she gives them this one picture they will leave her alone for a while? No one made a big deal out of maxima going to the ATM and smiling at the papparazzi. And if either of those princesses had scowled, then some enterprising tabloid journalist would no doubt have come up with some totally false and ridiculous story to go with the photo. It's a no win situation for them I think.

Clearly she's not out for the publicity in my opinon, else she would not have dressed so casually. And why not send her sisters to get the nappies? Well, maybe she wants to do the normal things moms do? Maybe she doesn't want her family to have to traipse along doing her bidding, and feeling that she is playing the diva (which I don't think she is, but maybe she just doesn't want to put her family in the position of waiting on her.), or maybe she just wanted to try and be a bit normal for a while. We don't know.

sunsh1n3 08-19-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

I completely agree with you. She could've sent somebody to get the nappies, she is public figure so she should expect to be followed. Hopefully we will not hear them complain about the media following them when she, herself, exposed herself this way.

dee4855 08-19-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsh1n3 (Post 813356)
I completely agree with you. She could've sent somebody to get the nappies, she is public figure so she should expect to be followed. Hopefully we will not hear them complain about the media following them when she, herself, exposed herself this way.

So, what do you expect her to do for her visit? Never leave her sister's house at all. Maybe it was just great to be home and she wanted to do something normal.
Maybe she needed a personal item for herself. Who cares why she was out in public. It is her right royal or not. She is entitled to be among everyone else without
any explanation to anyone. I am sure there are Aussie items she misses, and maybe just wanted to go and get some. Maybe a candy for the children. The way you
act about this you would think she had done something wrong.

When Maxima goes home she is out shopping. Is that wrong too? At least she was pleasant with the media. She did not run, or try to hide her face. Time to give her a break and let her enjoy her time home with her family and friends. If she feels the need to go and buy nappies, I say hooray for you Mary. You are still the same sweet woman you always were. The "Royalty" has not gone to your head. Good heavens she even takes out the garbage when it needs to be done. She did that in the total privacy of her home and someone still managed to snap a picture of her doing it. Do you think she did that for publicity? It would not matter if she was on a mountain top someone would find some way to take her picture. :bang:

Lilla 08-19-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee4855 (Post 813407)
The way you

But she has! Buying nappies is a terrible crime - she ought to be sentenced to imprisonment for life :whistling:

Mandy 08-19-2008 03:47 PM

:future: Unless one is clairvoyant, one cannot read Mary's mind. The only thing we know for sure is that Mary went to the store to buy nappies/diapers. Everything else is pure speculation especially photo interpretation. :future:

sunsh1n3 08-19-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee4855 (Post 813407)
So, what do you expect her to do for her visit? Never leave her sister's house at all. Maybe it was just great to be home and she wanted to do something normal.
Maybe she needed a personal item for herself. Who cares why she was out in public. It is her right royal or not. She is entitled to be among everyone else without
any explanation to anyone. I am sure there are Aussie items she misses, and maybe just wanted to go and get some. Maybe a candy for the children. The way you

When Maxima goes home she is out shopping. Is that wrong too? At least she was pleasant with the media. She did not run, or try to hide her face. Time to give her a break and let her enjoy her time home with her family and friends. If she feels the need to go and buy nappies, I say hooray for you Mary. You are still the same sweet woman you always were. The "Royalty" has not gone to your head. Good heavens she even takes out the garbage when it needs to be done. She did that in the total privacy of her home and someone still managed to snap a picture of her doing it. Do you think she did that for publicity? It would not matter if she was on a mountain top someone would find some way to take her picture. :bang:

I am not suggesting she stays and home and never comes out. What I am saying is that she could've probably send somebody (her assistant/nanny) to pick up the diapers. She knows the press is out there, waiting for a picture of her, so why put herself out like that. They have managed to be on private holiday before so its not impossible to go about their holiday with no pictures taken. I like her, she seems to be ok, but, and big BUT, I still think that she could've done it a different way.

Empress 08-19-2008 04:07 PM

Right, but she was in Denmark or Europe when she was on a private vacation, and even then the press was around. Now she is in her country of birth, where the papparazzi don't have nearly as many chances to photograph her, so they will take every chance that they can get.

What are you suggesting that she do if not stay home. You say that she should send someone else out, thus meaning that she stays home.

And why should she have to? Is she not allowed to go out and buy nappies? She clearly dealt with the situation, so I don't know what the issue is.

Lilla 08-19-2008 04:09 PM

On way of handeling things differently would have been to bring one more suitcase from Denmark - number 19 - filled with nappies:whistling:

But off course - that would have been a criminal act as well.

Winnie 08-19-2008 04:36 PM

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. So Mary got her picture taken -- who cares why or what she was doing -- she is Royal and knew she would have silly newsmen around -- I give her credit for smiling plus getting it over with and not behaving like P W-A did in New Zealand when he told the camera men to get lost he was on vacation. To say it was planned -- that is everyones personal opinion and who cares. It shouldn't change your life one way or the other. The ones that like Mary think one way, the ones that hate or want Mary to fail as a Royal think the other. It is a strict divided camp here if you reread certain people's comments from the start of this entire forum on the Danish Royals

Odette 08-19-2008 05:30 PM

I find the entire brouhaha such a non story. Everyone knew weeks in advance she was going to Australia. They waited outside the house and snapped photos. Whether she was going to buy nappies or an ice cream, people would gather, photographers would snap away and gawkers would look.
Remember the time they took her photo within the palace enclave taking out the garbage?? Well that was a story. A CP taking out the garbage....:whistling:

RachelD 08-19-2008 05:44 PM

You know, personally, I don't think it's wrong what she did. Isabella needed diapers, so Mary, being the caring mother that she is, went and got them herself instead of depending on the nanny for this small task. My only problem is with the reporters, what the heck? In one of the pictures it looks like their tackling her with the microphones (those black furry things)! It's actually a little funny, but still....:
https://royals.web-log.nl/royals/2008...s-mary-in.html

Odette 08-19-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelD (Post 813513)
You know, personally, I don't think it's wrong what she did. Isabella needed diapers, so Mary, being the caring mother that she is, went and got them herself instead of depending on the nanny for this small task. My only problem is with the reporters, what the heck? In one of the pictures it looks like their tackling her with the microphones (those black furry things)! It's actually a little funny, but still....:

I agree she did nothing wrong.
You have to admit though that she does not look too pertrubed.....I am sure deep down in her heart she is happy people care enough to chase her like that.

Lilla 08-19-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

My only problem is with the reporters, what the heck? In one of the pictures it looks like their tackling her with the microphones (those black furry things)! It's actually a little funny, but still....:

It is a bit funny:rolleyes:

She is one robust lady - just keeps on smiling :flowers: She has got my respect!!

Regina 08-19-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

Mary is buying nappies for her children in Australia.
Conclusion: she doesn't want to be private...

Oh please... so the best thing she has to do is to be stay at home all day doing nothing even if she prefers to go out...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsh1n3 (Post 813356)
I completely agree with you. She could've sent somebody to get the nappies

Yes, she could have sent sombody but the big problem is that she didn't want to send somebody to the nuppies store :smile: She wanted to go by herself. After all, she is the mother of her children, not others. She needs nannies when she is Denmark because there she is working and she can't be with the children all the time. In Australia, she is not working... she is on vacations, so she doesn't have to send anyone to the nappies store.

Quote:

she is public figure so she should expect to be followed.
Did she complain? No. She was smiling. I prefer a princess who smiles at others than a princess who shouts and threats when someone is taking pictures of her.

Quote:

Hopefully we will not hear them complain about the media following them when she, herself, exposed herself this way.
Exposed herself this way? What way? She was buying something on a shop. Please, how wrong this can be?...
When Mxima goes to Argentina and take her daughters to eat ice cream, do you find it bad too? :ermm: At least, Mary doesn't threat them with weird media codes.

Alisa 08-19-2008 07:09 PM

I confess to not seeing what the big deal is about. How many times have we seen paparrazzi taking photos of royals while they were shopping or doing things on their own private time?:rolleyes:

I am sure that if we had seen someone buying diapers headed back to her Mary's sisters house, her detractors would quickly claim that Mary is just too "snobby" to buy diapers for her children.:rolleyes:

ashelen 08-19-2008 07:29 PM

Quote:

she has make up, so it looks she was ready for the photos, and it looks too that she had a bodyguard next to her, she is smiling so i presume she was not surprsie and ready for them., really i think the media and reporters are rediculus to take photos of her just buying nuppies, but she knows she is a public figure so i suppose she was ok.

Empress 08-19-2008 07:43 PM

I would presume that she, like many women, put on make up most days. Not just because there are going to be paparazzi outside. I would further presume that she must take a body guard with her no matter where she goes. I doubt that she has much say in the matter about that. She is a public figure, and a high target for kidnapping, etc, and I doubt kidnappers/terrorists/ the crazy man down the street are going to say, "Oh she's on vacation, so let's not kidnap or kill her".

As for the smiling, well I'll say it again, she could have made a sour puss face, and the tabloids would certainly have found some nasty story to go with that, and people on this board would be complaining because she was not princess like enough or not just accepting that her photo would be taken.

missjane 08-19-2008 07:50 PM

Whats funny is that the bodyguard looks more worried than Mary!!!! Thumbs up from me , i think she is laughing at the media storm!!! and why shouldn't a mum, royal or not , go and do a nappy run? Mary wasn't concerned obviously and i think she would laugh to see how much it has got everyone on here up in arms!!! i wish i looked that good on a nappy run!!!

dee4855 08-19-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 813541)
she has make up, so it looks she was ready for the photos, and it looks too that she had a bodyguard next to her, she is smiling so i presume she was not surprsie and ready for them., really i think the media and reporters are rediculus to take photos of her just buying nuppies, but she knows she is a public figure so i suppose she was ok.

Make-up on? We have seen many pictures of Mary without any make-up on. What in the world does that matter. Maybe they were going out with the children after she had the planned, high profile, publicity photo session of buying nappies for her children. I can just see Mary telling Isabella Go, Bella Go! Use up those nappies so Mommy can go out and get her picture taken. I do not know why we let the DoM get us into these discussions in the first place. Who cares what Mary does as long as she good at being a Princess. She does an A++++ job of that.

BTW how can you miss the press they are like a bunch of vultures. They even have the nerve to go knock on the door of her sister's house. Thank goodness she did not answer the door. I am sure it would have made front page news around the world.:whistling:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilla (Post 813452)
On way of handeling things differently would have been to bring one more suitcase from Denmark - number 19 - filled with nappies:whistling:

But off course - that would have been a criminal act as well.

LOL I can hear that one! You mean this is what they spend my tax euros on.:biggrin:

Winnie 08-19-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee4855 (Post 813549)

BTW how can you miss the press they are like a bunch of vultures. They even have the nerve to go knock on the door of her sister's house. Thank goodness she did not answer the door. I am sure it would have made front page news around the world.:whistling:

I really think that the lousiest thing of all were those mutant press humans [?] that knocked on Mary's sister's door. At least her sister was polite to them -- God knows what I would have said as the were not invited to be on her property in the first place. Quite pushy and low class.

ashelen 08-19-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnie (Post 813552)
I really think that the lousiest thing of all were those mutant press humans [?] that knocked on Mary's sister's door. At least her sister was polite to them -- God knows what I would have said as the were not invited to be on her property in the first place. Quite pushy and low class.

i miss that, where does it say the media knock her sistter door?

tundra 08-19-2008 08:45 PM

With the time change & flights she & her family/party endured, it's possible she was the only one awake at the time. Or possibly the kids went out while she was at the shop & she was the decoy. There are many possible thoughts on this.

dee4855 08-19-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 813558)
i miss that, where does it say the media knock her sistter door?

It was on a news video.

missjane 08-19-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnie (Post 813552)

i know i wouldn't have been that nice at all and have orderd them off the property!!!:bang:

Xeara 08-19-2008 09:15 PM

I am not judging Mary's need to buy nappies...But I do think it is a little fishy...Firstly, her sisters, Jane and Patricia, have known of her visit for months, couldn't they have been stocking up on supplies for their sister Mary and her children's visit...which would include nappies for Christian and Isabella...and secondly, her sister Jane works in a chemist, she is a pharmacist...See, she has access to things like nappies way in advance...I think her sisters could have helped her out by having things like nappies ready, so why the need for Mary to venture out and purchase these things? Just to be seen and be visible and get the photo ops out of the way before the real private holiday begins, I suppose?

I think Mary just wanted to show off her new sunglasses, those Prada ones are cool, yes, she is a slave to fashion ;)

kimlan 08-19-2008 09:38 PM

Come on be real! would anyone buy diapers their brothr/sister's toddler when they visiting?

MARG 08-19-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 813541)
she has make up, so it looks she was ready for the photos.

That is some subtle media code! :lol:

But hey, I'm no Princess but, unlike Mary, I wouldn't be caught dead beyond the front gate without a little camoflage. :eek:

B****r the camera's! What about the neighbours? :ohmy: :eek:

ashelen 08-19-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimlan (Post 813577)
Come on be real! would anyone buy diapers their brothr/sister's toddler when they visiting?

as a matter of fact i did, and as i did not had any children at the time i bought any brand, my sister in law did not like them butshe used them and she went to buy more when it finish the packaed! they were comming from a long flight of 15 hours and i tried to provided everything for the kids and when i went to visit them and my mother, my mother bought absolutely anything i need for my daugther and i did not need to have to fly with the pram or car seat, tey got one for me ready

Empress 08-19-2008 09:54 PM

So your sister eventually went out and bought diapers for herself. Just like any normal person. Why should her sisters have to do that sort of thing. When we have people come to visit with children I try to buy most things that they will need, but generally I leave the food and toiletry items to them as they might have preferences.

She bought nappies. NO BIG DEAL. It's not fishy, and I seriously doubt it was any kind of publicity stunt. I am sure that the DRF can come up with better ones if they feel there is a need.

ashelen 08-19-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee4855 (Post 813564)
It was on a news video.

thank you, i will check it1

Winnie 08-19-2008 09:55 PM

I really think this entire things is getting out of hand. Who cares what she purchased. Maybe it was something altogether different and she didn't want the world to know. The Pampers were a cover. No matter what she does or where she goes, someone will question the action.

sgl 08-19-2008 10:03 PM

Thank you paty and mitchell for the links. Paparazzi debate aside, it really looks like mary is happy to be in hobart.

marmi 08-19-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Empress (Post 813322)
I think reading such intent into the smile in the photo is a bit much. Maybe (giving her the benefit of the doubt) she just makes the best out of a less than ideal situation?

I think it was me who brought up the smile - all I meant by it was simply that while she may not like it, she hardly seems miserable. Really what you said in the 2nd sentance above. Sorry I didnt express myself very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnie (Post 813461)
I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

We're just making huge mountains outta tiny mole holl if you ask me... :whistling:

Quote:

I give her credit for smiling plus getting it over with and not behaving like P W-A did in New Zealand when he told the camera men to get lost he was on vacation.
Yes he managed to achieve bad press for that one here (NZ) where noone has a clue who he is, for that one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alisa (Post 813540)
I confess to not seeing what the big deal is about. How many times have we seen paparrazzi taking photos of royals while they were shopping or doing things on their own private time?:rolleyes:

I am sure that if we had seen someone buying diapers headed back to her Mary's sisters house, her detractors would quickly claim that Mary is just too "snobby" to buy diapers for her children.:rolleyes:

There is no way she could have won in this situation, there really isnt. :bang:

Madame Royale 08-20-2008 01:23 AM

I'm devestated!!

Here I am applying makeup before I leave the house and not a single pap in sight! I'm here, I'm ready...alas, am I to be seized upon by no media contingent??? I've been expecting them for weeks now...:biggrin:

Quote:

she is a slave to fashion
No no, I'M what you'd call a slave to fashion. Even when I'm away from work, I'm still doing something in relation to work. That's a 'slave to fashion'.

And you truly think Mary's "bad"? Check out my wardrobe, and then you will I'm sure, gladely retract the above statement...:lol::rofl:

iceflower 08-20-2008 02:30 AM

Pics 20.8.2008

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark takes her children Prince Christian and
Princess Isabella to a Hobart park to play on August 20, 2008 in Hobart,
Tasmania, Australia

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

Lilla 08-20-2008 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee4855 (Post 813551)
LOL I can hear that one! You mean this is what they spend my tax euros on.:biggrin:

No, I don't minde spending my tax money on TRF. The suitcase/nappi debate is just a absolute non-issue.

Ccile 08-20-2008 03:51 AM

thanks for new pics!!

Princess Isabella is such a cutie!!! I can't wait to see her walking all by herself!!!

I love princess mary's look!!!