The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   State Visit from the President of France: March 26-27, 2008 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/state-visit-from-the-president-of-france-march-26-27-2008-a-16034.html)

Nico 03-27-2008 03:33 PM

If im not mistaken we will see some more glittering pics this evening with the banquet at the Guildhall...

Zonk 03-27-2008 03:40 PM

I think Carla dressed with class and elegance. Nothing outstanding but nothing to be shamed of. She is representing a country and trying not to outshine her husband. The colors were a little boring...I was hoping for somethign along the lines of Caroline of Hanover (but even she makes a mistake every now and then) but on the whole.... I thought she looked nice.

And yes, Anne's dress is a repeat. Its still a great dress...but I wonder what she would like in another color. Any pics of Sophie's dress?

Does anyone know how this visit is being reported in France?

Christo's Girl 03-27-2008 03:41 PM

I know Carla is very tall and probably doesn't want to wear heels because she would tower over her husband. I wish she would have worn heels with a few of those outfits it would have made a big difference. Sounds like the British media is in love with her. I think she did well considering a year ago she was sitting in her home somewhere singing folk songs.

carlota 03-27-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine (Post 746811)
Maybe - but show me one pic of Diana at an official occasion wearing such ugly clothes and such non-existing colour. I'm not fond of her purple coat either - somehow she is not the best ambassador for French Fashion. Just compare her outfits to those CP Mary wears on representing Danish Fashion.

i actually thought she dressed superb. i can't judge on what a representant of french fashion she is simply because i don't know whether she was dressed with clothes from a french label or not, but if it were french, i'd definitely buy it. i think they were all exquisite combinations.

i doubt she can be compared with mary. to start with, carla is no ambassador to french fashion at the moment and has no official duty to promote it, as mary does. also... how can we compare the clothes wore by someone representing danish fashion and someone else representing french fashion? this is very much linked to how different the two tastes and cultures are in that regard. so obviously, the way they are going to dress is very much dependant on the actual style the countries convey: while danish fashion strives for innovation and novelty, french fashion tends to be relatively traditional with that 'french something'.

Nico 03-27-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know how this visit is being reported in France?
Carla is of course on all the covers, praised for her style, discretion ...a "sans faute" for many newpapers. (Just seen her speech in english in the news by the way). Some papers are iritated by the Christies thing and are not very sweet with the british press.
Some critics for the president: sometimes out of place, not at ease...

mybags 03-27-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk (Post 746906)
Any pics of Sophie's dress?

According to the court circular, sophie did not attend...neither did princess alexandra or the duchess of gloucester...

Nico 03-27-2008 04:02 PM

Why Mr Sarkozy is so boring? Because at one moment or another, he has to show off and we fall again in the gossip pages...
Why why why

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Paty 03-27-2008 04:03 PM

The President and Madame Sarkozy will proceed to Greenwich and Visits The Old Naval College

https://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8...025f51ave9.jpg
https://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9...528873erv0.jpg:wub:

Gallery
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#

Paty 03-27-2008 04:47 PM

Reception to the French Comunity in England

https://img72.imageshack.us/img72/822...34bf511tn7.jpg
https://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2...64b50b3gx6.jpg
https://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2...24e2e48nk1.jpg
https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1...54df1ebqa0.jpg
BY Belga

giov 03-27-2008 04:54 PM

More pics
Abaca Press Americas Search Results

zembla 03-27-2008 07:13 PM

That had some laughs...:lol:

I did think Camilla should've stepped it up a bit more in the style department...I actually thought she would. But I guess no matter what she did it's hard to compete with a former model, who everyone was already going to be focusing on anyway. Especially considering the controversial nature of this relationship...:whistling:

Larzen 03-27-2008 07:26 PM

Guildhall gala
https://img238.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_220lo.jpg
https://img217.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_487lo.jpg
https://img134.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._122_706lo.jpg
https://img198.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_473lo.jpg
https://img5.imagevenue.com/img.php?i..._122_890lo.jpg
https://img204.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._122_580lo.jpg

ANP

tan_berry 03-27-2008 09:01 PM

75cc270c.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is Cecile, Sarkozy´s ex wife, who recently married a millionaire businessman in New York. She resembles Carla a lot, only that at 40 years old Cecile was more beautiful.

charlottestreasures 03-27-2008 09:23 PM

In the photo of the group coming into the banquet at Windsor, who is the older lady in white with a sash at the end?

I seen a closeup of Princess Michael's gown, just exquisite.

sophie25 03-27-2008 10:22 PM

Could you post the close up pic of Princess Michael's gown Charlottestreasures as I saw it from a distance and it looked beautiful so I would love to see it up close?

sophie25 03-27-2008 10:50 PM

Judging from the news reports and pics I have seen of the Guildhall banquet the Duke of Gloucester appears to have gone on his own. He attended the Windsor banquet on his own also so I suppose the Duchess must have fallen ill or something as she was due to have attended these events with him.

Lady Marmalade 03-28-2008 12:15 AM

Stunning, she is just stunning. I would say this visit is a real success for them both. The right mix of just being....French, the passion which showed in his speeches, her demure sense of style and refined manner. She is the First Lady of France, and showed nothing but the best representation for the French Republic....

It matters because they had a lot riding on this both domestically and internationally. They both rose to the occasion and whether we like, agree, dislike, love, hate, whatever, it was a success....at least to me..

charlottestreasures 03-28-2008 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angela (Post 747076)
Could you post the close up pic of Princess Michael's gown Charlottestreasures as I saw it from a distance and it looked beautiful so I would love to see it up close?

You can see her in the background of this photo from Getty. and the other is a close-up that I seen posted on another board - Glittering Jewels .

Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Princess Michael

https://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/80391664.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933B836CAF14D5D5C8FFF76FB81FE2BB31284831B75F48EF45

Stefanie 03-28-2008 03:59 AM

From close-up I have the feeling that Carla had some plastic surgery either on her nose or on her lips.
This morning German "RTL" mentioned her being admired of wearing Dior because it´s a French level but has a british designer. So a clever decision.

GlitteringTiaras 03-28-2008 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefanie (Post 747119)
From close-up I have the feeling that Carla had some plastic surgery either on her nose or on her lips.
This morning German "RTL" mentioned her being admired of wearing Dior because it´s a French level but has a british designer. So a clever decision.

She had her work done years ago. I remember seeing Carla on Style with Elsa Klensch on CNN Saturday mornings when I was a kid, and her face looks exactly the same as it did back in the early 90's. Obviously, she's had some work done on her nose and other places, but it's nothing new and everyone knows it.

As for the state visit. It seems to have been a success. Everyone looked divine (especially Carla who looked fabulous), and I'm sure the overall purpose was accomplished.

Regina 03-28-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade (Post 747096)

It matters because they had a lot riding on this both domestically and internationally. They both rose to the occasion and whether we like, agree, dislike, love, hate, whatever, it was a success....at least to me..

Yeah, to me either. I enjoyed every detail of this Visit. Carla was very beautiful and I believe everyone felt enchantée by her presence and style. :flowers:
I loved to see the Queen's tiara, what a beautiful piece of art.

Thank you all for the great pictures!

Nico 03-28-2008 06:03 AM

It's wrong i know but i'm addicted to this piece of s...

Stunning Carla saves the best till last while Sarko's (other) babe makes a faux pas with too much va va voom | the Daily Mail

And one of the most stupid article EVER

High Street Carla or charity shop Camilla? | the Daily Mail

Princess Luna 03-28-2008 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 747156)

Wow..that`s an amazing dress:smile:

seto 03-28-2008 09:56 AM

I think she looked very appropriate for this visit. I think she just can't win if she wore heels and really colorful clothes she would have been accused of trying to get attention. When she dresses simply she is dull and boring. I loved the purple coat and dress and the last evening gown I think she looked lovely.

HMQueenElizabethII 03-28-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angela (Post 747082)
Judging from the news reports and pics I have seen of the Guildhall banquet the Duke of Gloucester appears to have gone on his own. He attended the Windsor banquet on his own also so I suppose the Duchess must have fallen ill or something as she was due to have attended these events with him.

It is likely so, i got the same thought as well. She could have been sick, and unable to attend the events. Also missing out is Princess Alexandra of Kent as well.

lucien 03-28-2008 10:42 AM

Oh Sarko!!He has the style of a,oh,can't use an animal here,it would be insulting to them.

Glittering Royal Events Message Board: I have put Sarkozy in my black list

Courtesy dear Octavius,GREMB.

Elly C 03-28-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746484)

Please can someone tell me if there a particular reason why the President received the Order of Bath rather than a different order ? Also, was he wearing the same sash at the Guildhall or was this the Legion d'Honneur?

Al_bina 03-28-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlottestreasures (Post 747099)

Thanks for the photo!:flowers:
The champagne colour and emeralds match well. I commend Princess Michael for her glamorous outfit.

Quote:

Madame Sarkozy’s gala dress became her well. Slightly paraphrasing Zonk, it was a good, but not outstanding choice. As for Madame Sarkozy’s wardrobe in general, I have to say that she opted for simple clean lines and somewhat cold tones (grey, navy, claret, or purple). I like her style because I follow the above approach when it comes to my own wardrobe.
It is great that Daily Mail provided a close-up of Rashida Dati’s dress. She is so effortlessly chic.:wub:

Adamari 03-28-2008 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elly C (Post 747242)
Please can someone tell me if there a particular reason why the President received the Order of Bath rather than a different order ? Also, was he wearing the same sash at the Guildhall or was this the Legion d'Honneur?

The Queen typically gives the Order of Bath to visiting heads of states, including other sovereigns (I believe the King of Jordan received it on his 2001 state visit). She rarely hands out the Order of the Garter to another head of state, usually only other monarchs and only after they have been on the throne for many, many years. King Hussein of Jordan is the only non-European monarch I am aware of who has ever received the Garter.

blondie28 03-28-2008 02:06 PM

Ou est Gordon? Even the QUEEN spots how the PM got lost on the way to the banquet | the Daily Mail
I love this article!:lol:

Elly C 03-28-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamari (Post 747333)
The Queen typically gives the Order of Bath to visiting heads of states, including other sovereigns (I believe the King of Jordan received it on his 2001 state visit). She rarely hands out the Order of the Garter to another head of state, usually only other monarchs and only after they have been on the throne for many, many years. King Hussein of Jordan is the only non-European monarch I am aware of who has ever received the Garter.

Thank you for the information. Judging by the picture of the President leaving the banquet last night it looks as if he was intending to wear the Order all the way back to France.:biggrin:

LadyFinn 03-28-2008 03:41 PM

Lots of photos:
Daylife

iowabelle 03-28-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

And one of the most stupid article EVER

High Street Carla or charity shop Camilla? | the Daily Mail

I have to say, it's rather unfair to compare Camilla and Carla. After all, Camilla's never been a model and she probably has a good 20 years on the other lady. (And the "less expensive" version of Camilla's look was simply hideous -- Camilla in her suit with the big feathery hat was very pleasant.)

tan_berry 03-28-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie28 (Post 747334)

It seems the Queen has a wonderful sense of humor. She said to Sarko in their way to the banquet that things are not changed very often here. :lol:

tan_berry 03-28-2008 04:33 PM

Carla not only resembles Cecile, Sarko´s ex-wife, but, dreadfully, her own mother. Sarko must think that when that happens, he will not be around anymore for good. The poor lady was not sufficiently advised for her clothes.
Too much color. :ohmy:

iowabelle 03-28-2008 04:45 PM

I wondered if she had been given any training on how to sit. I saw her leaning her head on her arm during her husband's speech as if she were bored, and later during the Guildhall Dinner she had both of her arms wrapped across her tummy (pregnant? cold? insecure?). She had some odd poses during public functions IMO.

Cordonez 03-28-2008 04:46 PM

Photo from Reuters Pictures - Daylife

This picture just makes me laugh so hard! They look like little munchkin people! :lol:

Those who know about photography - can you explain how this happened?

jcbcode99 03-28-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 746699)
jcbcode99 - Are you sure the ruby necklace was from QM? I thought it was the one the Queen had bought for herself from auction in the 1960s.

Muriel, I'm catching up and haven't read all posts since this one, so if I repeat what has been my apologies--
the ruby neckace which HM is wearing was made for Queen Victoria--but was originally set with opals. Queen Alexandra did not like opals, believing them to be unlucky, so she had the necklace reset with the delicious rubies we now see. The Queen Mother ended up with the piece, and it passed to her daughter at her death.
The necklace you are thinking of is somewhat similar in design, but has three drops. It is a nice necklace, but in my opinion there is no comparison to Queen Victoria's piece. If you click on the link below there is a photo of QEQM and also one of QEII, both wearing their respective pieces. You'll see the difference. Which one do you like?? Also, there is a third ruby necklace directly below which was a gift to the Queen set in yellow gold. I do not like this piece at all.
PS--The Queen Mum is wearing the matching earrings which also had opals originally. The Queen is wearing Queen Mary's ruby earrings.

Tiara QEIIruby

jcbcode99 03-28-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amelia (Post 746746)
Is it going to be for the rest of our days that anytime a princess/first lady turns up somewhere looking pretty that she will be hailed the ‘next Princess Diana’ by the media. They really need to let it go.:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more.

Incidentally, are there any photos other than Mrs. Sarkozy from the Guildhall event?? I agree, she looks glamourous but a little too red carpet for my taste. I'd like to see some Royals, please.

wbenson 03-28-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cordonez (Post 747385)
Photo from Reuters Pictures - Daylife

This picture just makes me laugh so hard! They look like little munchkin people! :lol:

Those who know about photography - can you explain how this happened?

It's an illusion created by the bearskins and the people wearing them being farther back. If you bring Prince Philip up a little higher, he's actually twell.aller than the army officer on the right, and probably would be equal in height with the one on the left if he wasn't hunched over a little. (The Yeoman in the back seems quite tall, though)

NGalitzine 03-28-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamari (Post 747333)

I believe Hussein had The Bath, its the Emperors of Japan who receive The Garter.

Cordonez 03-28-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 747422)
It's an illusion created by the bearskins and the people wearing them being farther back. If you bring Prince Philip up a little higher, he's actually twell.aller than the army officer on the right, and probably would be equal in height with the one on the left if he wasn't hunched over a little. (The Yeoman in the back seems quite tall, though)

Thank you Wbenson for the explanation. I assumed it was a spatial issue but logically I just couldn't seem to get it right:rolleyes:.

Mandy 03-29-2008 03:25 AM

HM Queen Margrethe of Denmark has the Order of the Garter since at least 1980.

milla Ca 03-29-2008 06:34 AM

Carla la Manifique? Susie Rushton says ´Non´
March 29

Sarkozy isn't the only one being made a fool of: the hysterical reaction to his trophy wife shames us all.

Carla la Magnifique? Susie Rushton says 'Non' - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent

Nico 03-29-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

March 29

Sarkozy isn't the only one being made a fool of: the hysterical reaction to his trophy wife shames us all.

Carla la Magnifique? Susie Rushton says 'Non' - Commentators, Opinion - The Independent
Many thanks for this VERY interesting article...

BellaFay 03-29-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by branchg (Post 746603)
The Duchess of Cornwall ranks right after The Queen in official precedence as the wife of the heir to the throne.

At court, The Queen placed Camilla after The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra, but this really means little since the old rules of protocol are not followed on private family occasions.

Could somebody explain the rather bizarre seating plan adopted at the banquet. The Queen sat opposite her husband but poor President Sarkozy, who was after all the honoured guest wasn't allowed to sit opposite his wife. He wasn't even seated opposite his mother. They were both seated diagonally to his left on the other side of Prince Philip & Prince Charles respectively. This also meant incidentally that Camilla wasn't sitting opposite her husband, but instead opposite somebody who looked rather like the former Tory Home Office Minister, Douglas Hurd?

MARG 03-29-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 747396)
. . . . . .I agree, she looks glamourous but a little too red carpet for my taste. . . . . please.

I have to agree with you on this. The hair down, blousy look might look good wih jeans, but at a formal banquet it looks tacky. Worse, her deep wine/burgundy dress sucked the life out of her (diamond?) necklace and earrings.The necklace itself was insipid. It just lay there, lifeless, whereas the Sapphire and diamond neclace and earrings she wore for the Royal Banquet sparkled fire and looked fabulous.

muriel 03-31-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 747394)
Muriel, I'm catching up and haven't read all posts since this one, so if I repeat what has been my apologies--
the ruby neckace which HM is wearing was made for Queen Victoria--but was originally set with opals. Queen Alexandra did not like opals, believing them to be unlucky, so she had the necklace reset with the delicious rubies we now see. The Queen Mother ended up with the piece, and it passed to her daughter at her death.
The necklace you are thinking of is somewhat similar in design, but has three drops. It is a nice necklace, but in my opinion there is no comparison to Queen Victoria's piece. If you click on the link below there is a photo of QEQM and also one of QEII, both wearing their respective pieces. You'll see the difference. Which one do you like?? Also, there is a third ruby necklace directly below which was a gift to the Queen set in yellow gold. I do not like this piece at all.
PS--The Queen Mum is wearing the matching earrings which also had opals originally. The Queen is wearing Queen Mary's ruby earrings.

Tiara QEIIruby

Hi Jcbcode99 - You are right, I had mistaken the QMs ruby necklace for the one the Queen had bought. For some reason, the weblink is not working, so my comments now are from memory. I think the QMs necklace is a lot more grand and regal than the one the Queen had bought, and therefore, more appropriate for a State occassion like this one. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the ruby necklace with the yellow gold setting. Any chance you could repost the link please?

politikgirl 04-20-2008 06:39 PM

I was very impressed with Madame Sarkozy during this visit, not because she's beautiful, young, wore nice clothes, etc. (all the things that people have been saying) but because she seems to have handled herself very well given the circumstances (the nude pictures at the auction, adapting to the new situation very quickly, etc.). I really expected the worst of her, but am glad to see that I was wrong.

Moonmaiden23 04-21-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milla Ca (Post 747563)
March 29

My, my....Ms Rushton doesn't mince words does she? When is Monsieur le President up for re-election? I heard that his approval rating among the French is now something like 38%. That's around what Dubya Bush's is I think.

By the way maybe it's me but I don't think Carla is all that pretty anymore. Her face looks....strange. She does have a great figure.

politikgirl 04-23-2008 01:58 PM

I think she's still very pretty, although the plastic surgery is starting to show a bit, but now that she's a First Lady, the fact that she's relatively young and attractive in comparison to many other "first spouses" in the world automatically seems to make her in the eyes of a lot of people, "beautiful".

Either way, I think she carried herself very well on the state visit given the circumstances.

Little_star 04-23-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin (Post 756861)
My, my....Ms Rushton doesn't mince words
By the way maybe it's me but I don't think Carla is all that pretty anymore. Her face looks....strange. She does have a great figure.

Welcome to the club! Although I've never thought Carla was that pretty, even at the height of her fame in the mid-90's.

Marc23 01-05-2010 09:58 PM

Don't know if anyone of you knows that Queen Elisabeth II has descended from Sarkozy family?Here is her line:

Elisabeth Sarkozy
I
Maria Maczesdy de Maczesd
I
Helene Rusory de Rusor
I
Michael Barcsay de Nagy-Barcsa-elder,died in 1716
I
Michael Barcsay de Nagy-Barcsa-younger
I
Peter Barcsay de Nagy-Barcsa,lived from 1737-1797
I
Karolina Barcsay de Nagy-Barcsa,died in 1810
I
Baroness Agnes Inczedy de Nagy Varad,lived from 1788-1856
I
Countess Claudine Rhedey de Kis-Rhede,lived from 1812-1841
I
Duke Franz von Teck,lived from 1837-1900
I
Princess Victoria Mary von Teck,lived from 1867-1953
I
King George VI of Great Britain,lived from 1895-1952
I
ELIZABETH II,Queen of Great Britain,born in 1926

Lumutqueen 01-06-2010 03:08 PM

:previous:
Elizabeth with a z.
And how did you find this out? websites? information?

Marc23 01-06-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumutqueen (Post 1037736)
Elizabeth with a z.
And how did you find this out? websites? information?

Why does it sound so impossible?After all the Queen has Hungarian noble ancestry just like French President Nicolas Paul Stephane Sarkozy de Nagy-Bocsa(his full name)

Well,just go to genealogics.org and you will see ;)

Dierna23 01-06-2010 05:07 PM

I didn't know that Monsieur Sarkozy and the Queen share mutual ancestors, but yes, Sarkozy does have roots in the Hungarian nobility and so it's likely that there are relations to the Teck-side.
Very interesting! :flowers:

Lumutqueen 01-06-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc23 (Post 1037779)
Why does it sound so impossible?After all the Queen has Hungarian noble ancestry just like French President Nicolas Paul Stephane Sarkozy de Nagy-Bocsa(his full name)

Well,just go to genealogics.org and you will see ;)

I never said it was impossible did i?
I feel incredible sorry for the Queen.

Marc23 01-06-2010 06:37 PM

True,you didn't but it sounded a bit like that...I wonder does Queen or Nicolas know that Queen is a descendant of the Sarkozy family...

Like for example,when she was visiting China in 1986(I think) she was presented with a gift which was a genealogy table that shows how the Queen has descended from Chinese Emperors ;)

Westminster 01-07-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumutqueen (Post 1037787)
I never said it was impossible did i?
I feel incredible sorry for the Queen.

Why do you feel incredible sorry for the Queen?