The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   State Visit from the President of France: March 26-27, 2008 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/state-visit-from-the-president-of-france-march-26-27-2008-a-16034.html)

Nico 03-26-2008 06:09 PM

It's definitively the Bath
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Paty 03-26-2008 06:31 PM

More of the State Banquet

https://img248.imageshack.us/img248/4...9b10d22pl7.jpg
https://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9...8b2f49fqo4.jpg
https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5...0b4161cqy5.jpg

Nico 03-26-2008 06:32 PM

tadaaah

lucien 03-26-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746495)

Tadaaah indeed!!That malachite vase!:wub:

Nico 03-26-2008 06:42 PM

Wow look at that one day and already besties ;)

HMQueenElizabethII 03-26-2008 06:46 PM

According to the 2nd pic i can point out, the PoW and DoC, as we all know. The Duke of York, look like that:ermm: but definitely the Earl of Wessex, and with the purple dress near him, i think maybe the Countess of Wessex(It's a pity if she's there and we do not see much coverage of her). And further down the back i can see Timothy, the Duke of Kent (at the door entrance) and next to him would be his sister Princess Alexandra.

Nico 03-26-2008 06:49 PM

I fear indeed that these pics will be the only glimpses of the royal ladies....

Pelayo 03-26-2008 06:54 PM

I would like to ask if a first lady have to do a reverence in front to a queen, because i had though that they would have to trate like equals because they are representative two countries

Princess Robijn 03-26-2008 06:59 PM

It's probably the same case as HRH the Crown Princess of Norway curtseying to HRH the Duchess of Cornwall, both consorts of a heir to a throne, out of respect.

Nico 03-26-2008 07:01 PM

And now ladies and gentlemen a very expected lady, perfect as usual:

lucien 03-26-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelayo (Post 746505)
I would like to ask if a first lady have to do a reverence in front to a queen, because i had though that they would have to trate like equals because they are representative two countries

A personal choice,out of courtesy/respect.

lucien 03-26-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746510)

Always.Great Lady.

Nico 03-26-2008 07:18 PM

I really think that it's the best evening look for Camilla so far:
-Beautiful dress
-Good color
-Not too much cleavage
-Nice combination btw the necklace and the tiara (far more lighter, and elegant, than the 5 rows of the Greeville Necklace).

zembla 03-26-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Camilla looks kinda saggy...I am surprised to see how tall Carla is even in flats! She towers over everyone...either they are very short or she is like close to 6 ft...:ohmy:

micas 03-26-2008 07:24 PM

Carla is very elegant, i love the flat shoes that she wear, very elegant from her...!

kbear 03-26-2008 07:28 PM

Thanks for the pics all have been playing with sky news all night but need to figure out how to link:bang:

Nico 03-26-2008 07:33 PM

More pics of the guests:

The Duke of York and Miss Yade

Nico 03-26-2008 07:39 PM

For once a very elegant Princess Royal, with Mr Kouchner

charlottestreasures 03-26-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zembla (Post 746515)
Camilla looks kinda saggy...I am surprised to see how tall Carla is even in flats! She towers over everyone...either they are very short or she is like close to 6 ft...:ohmy:

For me The Queen's dress, which I know is a typical style or at least the same dress she wears often, is kind of saggy!!

Nico 03-26-2008 07:44 PM

A pic from this afternoon: Mr Sarkozy and Mr Cameron at Buck House in the audience room of the Queen

bertie5252003 03-26-2008 07:46 PM

My goodness the Queen's jewels are ABSOLUTELY divine. I think Princess Anne has a new gown and really lovly too. She has a really enviable figure and never shows it off.Was sophie there I can't see the person with Edward and the line to dinner has no Sophie from what I can see. Huge shame.Camilla well gosh she is well ok. I am no fan ...Carla looks nice.

christinacg 03-26-2008 07:48 PM

Anne's tiara tonight is my favorite of her's I think. I don't like Camilla's baggy gown but that tiara looks so good on her. Ms. Yade is probably the best dress for me, lol!

Nico 03-26-2008 07:51 PM

And (with a special mention to Al-Bina;)), the gorgeous and sexy Rahida Dati, french justice minister:biggrin::

Nico 03-26-2008 07:53 PM

Camillas's dress is not so baggy in fact, i find it very regal (nice shot with some members of the BRF)

MARG 03-26-2008 07:56 PM

Well! The first thing we do is fire/sack/shoot the official photographer! All the photographs seem to have been taken from above and everything, and I mean everything about the ladies is sagging.

The Queen's neckline, waistline and hemline droop, in fact the only thing that doesn't is the Tiara! :ohmy:

Madame Sarkozy looks great from the tips of her sleeves up. . . . . but below that it looks like she has sprouted either a very large bustle or butt and a wide saggy skirt! :eek:

zembla 03-26-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746530)
And (with a special mention to Al-Bina;)), the gorgeous and sexy Rahida Dati, french justice minister:biggrin::

oooh...she's very elegant...

Al_bina 03-26-2008 08:12 PM

Princess Royal is absolutely stunning, elegant. Her Majesty's appropriate look is enhanced by truly amazing jewellery. Although the dress and jewellery are all right in general, I wish Duchess of Cornwall wore more tailored dress. Madame Sarkozy’s dress is a good choice of style and colour. Ms. Yade, Minister of Human Rights, looks rather sportif in her simple blue dress.
Quote:

Special thanks to Nico for Rashida Dati’s photo. :flowers::flowers::flowers: She is absolutely stunning… :wub:Nothing else should be added, I believe.

sophie25 03-26-2008 08:12 PM

I see Princess Michael in the Getty pics also but no Gloucesters or Sophie.

sophie25 03-26-2008 08:22 PM

Oh correction! The latest picture in Getty gives a good view of the back rows of guests and the Duke of Gloucester is there on his own because the Duchess would be behind him walking with a gentleman guest but instead he's being followed by the Duke of Kent and we can just see Prince Michael behind him.

christinacg 03-26-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746532)
Camillas's dress is not so baggy in fact, i find it very regal (nice shot with some members of the BRF)

Yes, I agree now. Thats a better view. She looks so regal.

Ms. Dati looks great too! Lots of midnight blue tonight.

Lady Marmalade 03-26-2008 08:52 PM

WOW!!!!

I am like in heaven!!

Madame Sarkozy is STUNNING!! She looks every inch the model in that gown...cool, collected, elegant. The Princess Royal..just perfect, she has a great figure and that gown is fantastic...

Think about this... The Duchess of Cornwall had a hysterectomy last year. That does a lot to a woman's body, internally and externally. It happened to my mom. So, remember that when you comment on her figure or body shape. That surgery takes a lot out of a woman and can shock her body.

sthreats 03-26-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746514)
-Beautiful dress
-Good color
-Not too much cleavage
-Nice combination btw the necklace and the tiara (far more lighter, and elegant, than the 5 rows of the Greeville Necklace).

I agree with Nico-she has worn this tiara before but maybe its the way she has her hair- The tiara doesn't seem so heavy. She finally looks relaxed in the 'royal look'. I don't think the dress is saggy-it's simple and elegant.
Carla looks really beautiful and elegant:wub:

COUNTESS 03-26-2008 09:46 PM

Carla looks beautiful, of course, youth, is a great gift. Princess Anne looks very well, but cannot make out too much detail. The queen, looks like the queen. She has, in recent years, acquired a daytime wardrobe that is stunning. Whoever does her eveningwear, lacks any creativity and everything looks like beaded white sacks. The tiara and necklace, do look stunning, though. Camilla, hysterectomy or not has little style. The operation removes your womb, not your taste. You can look elegant at any size.

jcbcode99 03-26-2008 09:50 PM

Well, I am happy as I can be seeing the Queen Mother's ruby necklace re-emerge. That is just completely exciting--but even more so is the brooch which Queen Elizabeth is wearing!!!!! It was her mother's, and QEQM wore it to her coronation, and over on the RJOTW message board it has been agreed that the brooch has not been seen since 1937! This IS an exciting day for us jewel enthusiasts!
Now, the Burmese--not my favorite, but it's growing on me. HM always looks wonderful.
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall---is that the riviere she wore for her 60th birthday party, the one which was the Queen Mother's? She looks spectacular--the tiara doesn't look heavy, the necklace is perfect--she looks wonderful--except that she needs a sash......
The Princess Royal looks FANTASTIC. Truly. I am impressed, normally, she's a little frumpy, but she looks elegant.
Princess Michael, I think that is her in the group photo--always looks wonderful.
Mrs. Sarkozy--stunningly beautiful woman. WIsh I could see the necklace better.
No Countess of Wessex?????

Al_bina 03-26-2008 10:28 PM

Upon looking at photos of the banquet, it would be fair to say that a red-purple noisy dress worn by French politician Nicole Ameline is the fashion mishap of the event. She walked with Prince Edward.

Madame Royale 03-26-2008 11:05 PM

I've had enough of the Honeycomb Boucheron...something smaller and Russian (The Empress Marie Fyodorovna Sapphire Bandeau.) It just seems so big. Big hair, big diadem...enough already.

Quote:

The operation removes your womb, not your taste.
Now now Countess, play nice...:biggrin:

The day attire is really very good. It's the evening event's where I find she let's herself down.

I notice the Duchess likes shawls..I don't and I think they look tacky and wish she would stop incporporating them into almost every evening ensemble.

Love the riviere. That's smashing!!

sirhon11234 03-26-2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

That woman is steaming with hotness.
And Miss Yade also looks very nice.

wbenson 03-26-2008 11:18 PM

I wonder why he wore the Legion of Honour star with the Bath sash. He could have popped both on there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 746471)
I thought on the precedence issue that the Queen had popped Anne and Alexandra before Camilla and Sophie.

That was a more informal "personal" precedence (nobody is completely sure what it is, but the Queen never issued anything official changing it, so it's not for state events). For state occasions, Camilla ranks right next to her husband.

jcbcode99 03-27-2008 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 746586)
I've had enough of the Honeycomb Boucheron...something smaller and Russian (The Empress Marie Fyodorovna Sapphire Bandeau.) It just seems so big. Big hair, big diadem...enough already.

Madame Royale--always a pleasure! And, I am in complete agreement with you. I am waiting impatiently for this tiara to reappear on the head of our Duchess. I think she would look wonderful wearing it and she needs a more subdued piece.
That being said, the riviere alone is enough to make me happy!

branchg 03-27-2008 01:05 AM

The Duchess of Cornwall ranks right after The Queen in official precedence as the wife of the heir to the throne.

At court, The Queen placed Camilla after The Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra, but this really means little since the old rules of protocol are not followed on private family occasions.

Madame Royale 03-27-2008 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 746599)
Madame Royale--always a pleasure! And, I am in complete agreement with you. I am waiting impatiently for this tiara to reappear on the head of our Duchess. I think she would look wonderful wearing it and she needs a more subdued piece.
That being said, the riviere alone is enough to make me happy!

What can I say, jcbcode99? You're a woman of remarkable taste! Indeed, t'is always a pleasure...:flowers:

pamk 03-27-2008 03:34 AM

I find that Carla Sarkozy seems to dress well - but her shoes are awful! She looked like a schoolgirl today upon her arrival in her flat, plain shoes and tonight --- again flat shoes that don't go with her dress at all.
Is she afraid to wear heels which would be more elegant because then she would be taller than her husband?
Queen Noor was always taller than King Hussein and she always looked so elegant -
I mean it is a fact: Carla is taller than her husband so go ahead and wear heels and not those dumb flat shoes which look cheap and too youthful -

carlota 03-27-2008 04:22 AM

i see nothing wrong with carla's shoes. in fact, i like them. they seem a special design of some jimmy choo's in flat. it would obviously be completely inappropriate to wear high heels when she is clearly the tallest out of her husband, the queen and prince phillip, even in flats.

i prefered her purple dress, this one makes her look much older! it is nevertheless still very elegant and the shoes are the highlight!

lucien 03-27-2008 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlottestreasures (Post 746524)
For me The Queen's dress, which I know is a typical style or at least the same dress she wears often, is kind of saggy!!

Always white in eveningwear,there isn't a tablecloth left by now.
Dubbed her "Tablecloth Lilly" years ago,dear Lillibeth,the outstanding and astounding octagenarian.

Nico 03-27-2008 05:27 AM

The press coverage is excellent, and impressive, this morning in France. Of course Carla is on all the covers. She's praised for her retro style and her discretion, the new french glam weapon.
As you can see in my earlier posts i was not at all fan of the "Sarkozy circus", but i must confess that i am quite pleased by the new first lady: charm, elegance and the most discretion. Hope that she will stay like this...

Jo of Palatine 03-27-2008 05:30 AM

As it is known that the queen reads the Telegraph, I guess she'll smile about this article about the mother of Nicolas Sarkozy:

Nicolas Sarkozy, his mother and the Queen - Telegraph

Nicolas Sarkozy, his mother and the Queen

A quote from the article:
And, more significantly, she is of the same generation as the Queen and may find they have much in common over the cucumber sandwiches. So after Mme Sarkozy Snr has made sure Nicolas has taken off his naff Rolex and that Carla's dress isn't too low-cut, she can settle down with Her Majesty to enjoy a mutual complaining session about their difficult sons: why on earth did he have to marry again? Why on earth does he spend so much money? And isn't it a shame about his ears? For once on a state visit, the Queen could be amused.

Paty 03-27-2008 06:24 AM

Photos!

Galerías de imágenes

Nico 03-27-2008 06:27 AM

Some stuff from the D... Mail
All eyes on Carla, France's First Lady of Chic | the Daily Mail

Bruni's pert pillbox hat was perfect. Poor Camilla looked like a pheasant crash-landed on her head... | the Daily Mail

Articles with not so much interests, but good pictures though.
Why i "love" so much this piece of s...: Yesterday Camilla's look was demure, elegant and very british, today it's frumpy and laughable...anyway anyway anyway....

Skydragon 03-27-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the pictures. :flowers: Needless to say I think Camilla looked fantastic, I was very disappointed with Mrs Sarkozy's evening outfit after her earlier elegant attire when she arrived. :flowers: The suit she then wore, was a complete disaster.

I hate to agree with the D Mail on anything, but they are right when they say that Mrs Sarkozy seemed to spend a lot of time 'posing' for the cameras.

Regina 03-27-2008 06:40 AM

In my opinion, Carla Sarkozi was very well all the time. The first outfit was a bit boring (especially the color of it) but she behaved perfectly well.
I liked her gala dress a lot! The color is beautiful, and the shape of it is really apropriate. I don't care if she didn't wear big jewel. She is already so pretty that she doesn't need them to shine.
Camilla and the french ministers were very elegant too. And the Queen was regal and lovely (as usual!!).

What makes me surprise is the presence of the mothers/mothers in law. It is so weird. They may be great fans of Queen Elizabeth but this should be an official trip, not a family tour to the Palace. They were the worst dressed, imo.

Jo of Palatine 03-27-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 746662)
Thank you for the pictures. :flowers: Needless to say I think Camilla looked fantastic, I was very disappointed with Mrs Sarkozy's evening outfit after her earlier elegant attire. :flowers:

Some papers have comments saying that Carla Bruni was like a model playing the role of "First Lady" in all demureness. Well, sounds plausible. But does anybody think she would have chosen the same drab clothes if Diana was still alive and married to Charles? I seriously doubt it.

And how unfair to compare a sixty-year-old "normal" woman to a fourty-year-old ex-model. If they wanted a fair comparison I must say I liked the pics of Camilla better, as she seemed to be the genuine article while Carla Bruni obviously posed. And in some close-ups you can see that Bruni is already far advanced in aging. She seems to have already reached the point of the, as we say in Germany, F or F-decision: Fett oder Falten, means fat or crinkles.:biggrin: Bruni obviously goes for crinkles...

Somehow I find that the style Bruni displayed was not genuine - it's not what she usually wears in France on similar occasions (or so some papers claim) and it's not what the First lady of France should wear in my humble opinion. Is drab grey really the fashion colour of this spring?

Jo of Palatine 03-27-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regina (Post 746664)
I

What makes me surprise is the presence of the mothers/mothers in law. It is so weird. They may be great fans of Queen Elizabeth but this should be an official trip, not a family tour to the Palace.

I wonder if this will become fashionable? Bringing the whole family to an official visit? Maybe Andrew started the trend when he took his daughter with him on tour? :biggrin:

Her_Majesty 03-27-2008 06:54 AM

The Queen looked great! Wow, this is a gorgeous Tiara! Suits her very well.
The Duchess of Cornwall also looked really elegant.

I don't want to comment on Carla Sarkozy's outfits.

Skydragon 03-27-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine (Post 746668)
Somehow I find that the style Bruni displayed was not genuine - it's not what she usually wears in France on similar occasions (or so some papers claim) and it's not what the First lady of France should wear in my humble opinion. Is drab grey really the fashion colour of this spring?

I think she was caught, if she had worn anything 'exciting', the papers would have ripped her to shreds. Every media outlet was full of the nude picture, she had to try to downplay it. Why I don't know, it was taken a few years ago, most people have a past and although it is not something I would choose to do..... As many of the people interviewed in the street told Sky news, it just proves that 'the media are scum'!

Paty 03-27-2008 07:11 AM

Sarkozy´s Speech video at the State Banquet
Elysee.fr | Présidence de la République | PR TV

Text of The Queen's speech at the State Banquet
Media Centre > Speeches and srticles > State Banquet speech, 26 March 2008

A few more photos from actualidad Terra/Reuters
https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8c712ef9g.jpg
https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8c726ab2g.jpg
https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8c71a62bg.jpg

Galleries from Photoshot Home

At Windsor
visit to Westminster Abbey
State Banquet

Warren 03-27-2008 07:42 AM

13 pages (and counting) of comments, news and pics. We can say that this tour is successful, from both the British-French and TRF points of view. :biggrin:
Two bonuses: a curtsey for HM from Madame Sarkozy (not required by protocol but a mark of personal respect); and the increased number of 'gala' pics that have been made available compared to the usual meagre one or two that BP allows the public to see.

Lastly, on behalf of the British Moderating team, I would like to give a special thanks to Paty for the extensive pic, news and gallery contributions she has made to this thread. :flowers:

Warren
BritMod

Paty 03-27-2008 08:07 AM

PRESIDENT SARKOZY'S SPEECH TO MEMBERS OF UK HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT

Article from BBC
BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Sarkozy woos the British

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today Events

The President of The French Republic and Madame Nicolas Sarkozy will formally bid farewell to The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle.

11:00h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will visit Carlton Gardens, the President will lay a wreath at the Statue of General de Gaulle.

11:20h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will visit 10 Downing Street.

12:30h
The President of The French Republic and the Prime Minister will visit the Emirates Stadium to attend the UK-France Summit where they will give a Press Conference.

13:30h
The President is entertained to luncheon by the Prime Minister on behalf of Her Majesty's Government.
Madame Sarkozy is entertained to luncheon by Mrs Brown at Lancaster House.

15:40h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will proceed to Greenwich.

16:15h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will then visit the Old Royal Naval College.

17:30h
Recepcion to the French comunity.

19:30h
The President and Madame Sarkozy will attend a Banquet at Guildhall given by The Lord Mayor and Corporation of London.
They will be acompanied by the Duke and the Duchess of Gloucester

Source/ British Monarchy web and Elysee Palace

muriel 03-27-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746514)
-Beautiful dress
-Good color
-Not too much cleavage

I am certqainly in the camp that believes that Camilla (and surprisingly, Anne) looked great at the banquet. Camilla's dress and jewellery suited her perfectly, and she certainly looked very comfortable and very regal - not that I am suggesting the two are mutually exclusive.

The clothes and jewellery that Camilla wore (other than the tiara) were the same as what she wore on her 60th birthday - again reinforcing the view that she is a conssummate recycler of her wonderful collection of dresses and gowns.

As has already been mentioned on the forums, Anne, looked very elegant and rather surprisingly, appeared to havee a new dress on. Surely that must be the first new dress for state occassions that Anne must have got in over 10 years!

milla Ca 03-27-2008 08:38 AM

So many nice pics, thank you for posting!:flowers:

I watched a coverage from BBC World last night, nice to see beginning of the banquet live and so to feel bit of the special atmosphere.

The royal ladies looked great! Good to see the Duchess of Cornwall next to the Queen and the French president. She looked so stunning!:wub:

Mr Sarkozy is a real good speaker, i enjoyed to hear (and see) his speech before the dinner.

Ms Sarkozy looked pretty, but not glamorous (IMO) .For a First Lady she will need more charisma too. We´ll see if she will get another image than to be an ex-model, good for another scandal...

muriel 03-27-2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 746569)
Well, I am happy as I can be seeing the Queen Mother's ruby necklace re-emerge. That is just completely exciting--but even more so is the brooch which Queen Elizabeth is wearing!!!!! It was her mother's, and QEQM wore it to her coronation, and over on the RJOTW message board it has been agreed that the brooch has not been seen since 1937! This IS an exciting day for us jewel enthusiasts!
Now, the Burmese--not my favorite, but it's growing on me. HM always looks wonderful.
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall---is that the riviere she wore for her 60th birthday party, the one which was the Queen Mother's? She looks spectacular--the tiara doesn't look heavy, the necklace is perfect--she looks wonderful--except that she needs a sash......
The Princess Royal looks FANTASTIC. Truly. I am impressed, normally, she's a little frumpy, but she looks elegant.
Princess Michael, I think that is her in the group photo--always looks wonderful.
Mrs. Sarkozy--stunningly beautiful woman. WIsh I could see the necklace better.
No Countess of Wessex?????

jcbcode99 - Are you sure the ruby necklace was from QM? I thought it was the one the Queen had bought for herself from auction in the 1960s.

Paty 03-27-2008 08:50 AM

BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Sarkozys arrive in Downing Street

Photos. Carla Looks just wonderfull.!!!!

https://img442.imageshack.us/img442/3...9a048b6kh6.jpg
https://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2...0a09e8afy7.png
https://img296.imageshack.us/img296/9...1a1002ejf9.png
Photos by Belga

Nico 03-27-2008 08:54 AM

Meeting with the Browns...and some color for today!

Nico 03-27-2008 08:56 AM

Arf Paty you're just too fast for me, you win :biggrin:

Paty 03-27-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746704)
Arf Paty you're just too fast for me, you win :biggrin:

Ja!ja!! Both wins!!!:biggrin:

Hanymph 03-27-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746703)

Carla look very cute in this photos and very relax. Like her shoe too..

assia 03-27-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanymph (Post 746706)
Carla look very cute in this photos and very relax. Like her shoe too..

I am not sure about the brown shoes with the grey suit and the purple coat, I mean black shoes would have been more appropriated, just my opinion.

Paty 03-27-2008 09:17 AM

Arrive to Downing Street, more photos

https://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5...7b5d149mh7.png
https://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2...4b62211ij9.png
https://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6...4b56fb9cd8.png
Phots by Blega

https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8...reviewcbs6.png
https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9...reviewchz3.jpg
https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8...reviewcbq5.png
https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9...reviewcru8.png
https://img186.imageshack.us/img186/3...reviewcit2.jpg
By ANP

Queen Elizabeth II bids farewell French President Nicolas Sarkozy and his wife Carla Bruni-Sarkozy as they leave Windsor Castle in south-east England, on March 27, 2008.

https://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2...reviewcdm7.png
https://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6...reviewckf8.png
https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9...reviewcjo1.jpg
https://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8...reviewclb1.jpg
https://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5...reviewcez4.png
https://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7...reviewcrt2.jpg
https://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2...reviewcek4.jpg
https://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6...reviewceh8.png
https://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9...reviewcrr9.jpg
https://img254.imageshack.us/img254/1...reviewdfo2.png
Photos By ANP

Jo of Palatine 03-27-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 746680)
I think she was caught, if she had worn anything 'exciting', the papers would have ripped her to shreds. Every media outlet was full of the nude picture, she had to try to downplay it.

But that obvious way? Looking like a pupil from the lycee? I wonder why Dior did create such an outfit at all - I doubt it would sell even at sales because it looks so unfashionable - even slim Carla Bruni looked in it as if she was pregnant.... :biggrin:

As for "exiting" - there surely is more variety in French fashion than this or "daring". IMHO she looked as if she was a sinner on her way to confession, already wearing the penitent's sackcloth and ashes. I mean, even Camilla who was dressed rather low-key appeared a peacock compared to that drabness.

Quote:

Why I don't know, it was taken a few years ago, most people have a past and although it is not something I would choose to do..... As many of the people interviewed in the street told Sky news, it just proves that 'the media are scum'!
The media? It was Christie's who gave the media the excuse - they could have selected another moment for bringing that picture to auction, IMHO.
Maybe the French press is not too happy having an Italian First Lady with a racy past after they were presented a French dame before they voted the husband président and now the Sarkozy's trying to show what an exceptionally well-behaved and close family they are, bringing even their mammas as kind of chaperonnes for Carla... :biggrin:

Paty 03-27-2008 09:42 AM

Funny Image!
https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4...reviewcso2.png

princess gertrude 03-27-2008 09:51 AM

Carla Sarkozy has looked totally appropriate the entire trip. Her down played outfits the first day and the stunning blue gown for the banquet. And to top it off the striking purple jacket she wore was just outstanding. I am glad that she pulled her hair up for the banquet dinner, she looked very chic and simple. Bravo!!

BeatrixFan 03-27-2008 09:55 AM

BBC NEWS | Politics | Brown 'got lost' at state banquet

Lozange 03-27-2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 746703)

Sarkozy still looks slightly maniacal, especially on the pic where they laid a wreath for Charles de Gaulle. And did anyone notice Mrs Brown looked quite pretty?

CasiraghiTrio 03-27-2008 09:59 AM

Carla is simply WOW WOW WOW!!!! I love her dress at the state banquet. And she is so beautiful besides.

But I am disappointed with Camilla at the airport. Camilla has worn this outfit too much. For other engagements, wearing this outfit is fine, but for this, she should have worn something new, and that hat.... oh I am so sick of seeing that awful hat. Never liked it. Oh, but I do hate leopard print in fashions. To me, it is so ugly on most things, and is worse than ugly on this hat.

sirhon11234 03-27-2008 10:04 AM

Sarkozy's wife hailed as France's Princess Diana
Sarkozy's wife hailed as France's Princess Diana | International | Reuters

Carla Bruni the new Princess Diana what a load of crock.:rolleyes:

Empress 03-27-2008 10:32 AM

Camilla did indeed look like a pheasant had crash landed onto her head! Quite an apt description!

And I wish someone would teach Carla Sarkozy how to exit an automobile. She look a bit un-elegant!

Ah well, it seems that there have been no serious mishpas, so here's to a good visit.

milla Ca 03-27-2008 10:41 AM

I´m really astonished at the enthusiasm for Carla Bruni-Sarkozy in this thread.
It seems to me that only to be young and pretty is enough to be everybody´s darling...:cool::rolleyes:

Mademoiselle Lilo 03-27-2008 10:46 AM

Ms Sarkozy looked much better during the gala dinner simple and very elegant i like her hair up,and so she do today i like her coat ,i really admire women who dare and wore colours:biggrin:
bref she look stunning
the Queen as usual fabulous and very nice
Camillawasn't that bad i like it her look too

Nico 03-27-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

It seems to me that only to be young and pretty is enough to be everybody´s darling
Don't forget "...and wearing pretty clothes" :biggrin:

Amelia 03-27-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhon11234 (Post 746731)
Sarkozy's wife hailed as France's Princess Diana
Sarkozy's wife hailed as France's Princess Diana | International | Reuters

Carla Bruni the new Princess Diana what a load of crock.:rolleyes:

Is it going to be for the rest of our days that anytime a princess/first lady turns up somewhere looking pretty that she will be hailed the ‘next Princess Diana’ by the media. They really need to let it go.:rolleyes:

Christo's Girl 03-27-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milla Ca (Post 746741)
It seems to me that only to be young and pretty is enough to be everybody´s darling...:cool::rolleyes:

True, but wasn't it the same situation with Diana?

Nad25 03-27-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milla Ca (Post 746741)

I agree with you,i cant see what the fuss is all about....:rolleyes:

Paty 03-27-2008 11:13 AM

More photos in 10 Downing Street.

https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/6...review1by5.jpg
https://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8...review1wa0.png

French and British Presidents in the White Room at No.10 Downing St.

https://img442.imageshack.us/img442/2...review1vk8.jpg
https://img258.imageshack.us/img258/6...review1ne9.jpg
https://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5...review1qu8.jpg

Madame Carla Bruni-Sarkosy chats to Mrs.Sarah Brown at No.10 Downing St.

https://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7...review1wg9.jpg
https://img85.imageshack.us/img85/273...review1ws7.jpg
https://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8...review1vt9.jpg

mybags 03-27-2008 11:31 AM

Here is a better picture of Anne from last night (ibl)...

IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

andrew 03-27-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

"As has already been mentioned on the forums, Anne, looked very elegant and rather surprisingly, appeared to havee a new dress on. Surely that must be the first new dress for state occassions that Anne must have got in over 10 years!"
Well, don't get overexcited over the 'new' dress! It was already worn at the silver wedding celebrations in Luxembourg.

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/71350277.jpg

Paty 03-27-2008 11:48 AM

French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Sarkozy, attend a wreath laying ceremony at the Statue of General de Gaulle in London

https://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9...1412b01vu9.jpg
https://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8...142b3b8tx3.png
https://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9...143d293sn8.jpg
https://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4...145c380tx2.png
https://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3...172b1dcws1.jpg
By Belga

Frances first lady Carla Bruni at a charity lunch, in aid of the White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood, hosted by Sarah Brown. Lancaster House

https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8cb0cb12g.jpg
https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8cb271dcg.jpg
https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8cb471c2g.jpg
https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8cb039b2g.jpg
Terra/ Reuters

CasiraghiTrio 03-27-2008 12:07 PM

Many pictures of the visit from yesterday
HM The Queen and HRH The Duke with the Sarkozys at Windsor on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Source of all pictures: Reuters, AFP, AP

I hit a snag on flickr so I continued uploading to my photobucket.

The Banquet (all Reuters)
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2762941879.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2080560931.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4141558824.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1826303724.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1748670626.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1568607451.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...ng_468x308.jpg

Mademoiselle Lilo 03-27-2008 12:19 PM

i forgot to say how MRS Sarah is beautiful and sweet she looks great too:flowers:

CasiraghiTrio 03-27-2008 12:34 PM

More pics from Reuters

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3922379577.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3811708729.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3678076880.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3363025062.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3295511561.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3281560659.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3065442598.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2664281979.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2634167288.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1726549753.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2460191335.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2289524578.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2284883796.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2255037074.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2159755407.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2036842519.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2008034518.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1797486087.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1780221117.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...1712034988.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...4077151995.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3980360161.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3976404691.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3924021307.jpg

I love Carla's purple coat! ;)
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3380338962.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3605853966.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3347335066.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2803289537.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2027907796.jpg

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...3522806792.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2958340907.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2896092907.jpg
https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2093097218.jpg

For milla Ca: Would you rather me be negative and grumpy about Madame Sarko? {Edited to remove personal comment - Empress} As for only appreciating youth and beauty, it's quite untrue about me, but in Carla's case it must be acknowledged, for she is quite exquisite beauty. It would be wrong, imo, not to acknowledge her beauty. ;)

Jo of Palatine 03-27-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christo's Girl (Post 746748)
True, but wasn't it the same situation with Diana?

Maybe - but show me one pic of Diana at an official occasion wearing such ugly clothes and such non-existing colour. I'm not fond of her purple coat either - somehow she is not the best ambassador for French Fashion. Just compare her outfits to those CP Mary wears on representing Danish Fashion.

Paty 03-27-2008 12:58 PM

A couple more of pics of the lunch with Sarah Brown.

https://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9...review1kd3.jpg
https://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9...review1mq9.png
https://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3...review1yq3.png
https://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9...18d2d56dg3.png
By ANP

giov 03-27-2008 01:09 PM

More from Mediumphoto
MediumPhoto

rominet09 03-27-2008 01:10 PM

Perfect beauty in my opinion

User0501 03-27-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 746758)

It should read as "The French President and The British Prime Minister in The White Room at No. 10 Downing Street.

Paty 03-27-2008 01:28 PM

More

https://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4...review1wv1.jpg

Firts public Speech :flowers:
https://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7...review1tt4.jpg
https://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4...review1fn7.jpg

lilytornado 03-27-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine (Post 746811)
Maybe - but show me one pic of Diana at an official occasion wearing such ugly clothes and such non-existing colour. I'm not fond of her purple coat either - somehow she is not the best ambassador for French Fashion. Just compare her outfits to those CP Mary wears on representing Danish Fashion.

Seriously, the color/clothes is a question of taste. You do not like it, others do.
Personally, I find many things that Diana wore quite ugly, but this again, is a question of taste.

Primrose28 03-27-2008 01:29 PM

I thought Carla's clothes were quite classy on the first day, if a bit lacking in color. I'm not trying to be catty at all, but some of her first few outfits made it look like she had a tummy (just noting...). I think it was just the cut of her clothes though. Her purple coat today was a nice mix-up from the navy and gray of before. I was looking for a close-up of the earrings she wore when she was at the airport--they looked nice!

Paty 03-27-2008 01:51 PM

French President and Carla Sarkozy walks a gangway to board a catamaran for a trip on the Thames to Greenwich.

https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8cd1092eg.jpg
https://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img...b8cd0624ag.jpg
Terra/Reuters

grevinnan 03-27-2008 02:39 PM

A very glamorous visit. The dresses and jewely were beautiful. Madame Sarkozy did a splendid job considering her very recent entry into the realm of diplomacy. She is like almost all french women I have met - beautifully dressed and stylish. The flat shoes were all elegant. Many women prefer flat shoes for a number of reasons and it was great seeing them in an official setting. Thanks to everyone that took the time to post pictures.

tan_berry 03-27-2008 02:43 PM

Carla

Vini, vidi, vinci. That combination of beauty, style, youth and power is intoxicating for the media, in particular, but really for everyone. It was the case of Jacqueline Kennedy, Diana of Wales, Grace of Monaco, Princess Caroline of Monaco, and now is the case of Charlotte Casiraghi, the Crown Princesses of Europe and the latest addition: Carla Sarkozy. She does not remind me of Diana or Jacqueline, but Audrey Hepburn. Very chic, very french. Mr. Sarkozy, from now on, will be reminded like the man who accompanied Carla to London. Absolute success. I think the french will be proud of her.

The nude photos just before the wedding, and before, were mistakes that we all seem happy to forget and forgive. Her charm and style deserve it. :flowers:

lucien 03-27-2008 03:18 PM

ANP Beeldbank