The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Jewels (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/duchess-of-cornwall-jewellery-6-january-2008-september-2011-a-15732.html)

jcbcode99 01-12-2008 01:56 PM

Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: January 2008-September 2011

Charles bought Camilla a tiara of synthetic rubies and diamonds set in platinum that the King had bought for Alice Keppel. There are also some other pieces that Charles has given Camilla--and Camilla has worn the piece as a necklace. If you go to Magnolia's site, it is the fourth tiara down---
Cornwall

daisygoogles 01-13-2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 715306)
Charles bought Camilla a tiara of synthetic rubies and diamonds set in platinum that the King had bought for Alice Keppel. There are also some other pieces that Charles has given Camilla--and Camilla has worn the piece as a necklace. If you go to Magnolia's site, it is the fourth tiara down---
Cornwall

I guess the tiara worn by Camilla on her first marriage and the one that her daughter wore to her own wedding is passed down from mother to daughter in that family.
Does anyone know how long it's been in the family????
It is a very beautiful tiara i think. It looked great on Laura on her wedding day.
Maybe the Duchess of Cornwall should wear it more often or has it now been given to Laura???

LadyK 02-02-2008 07:37 PM

Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery 6: February 2008-

Welcome to the Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery thread part 6

commencing January 2008

Part 5, covering November 2007 to January 2008 can be found here.

°°°

jcbcode99 02-20-2008 06:59 PM

New brooch? Can't place it--
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

andrew 02-21-2008 05:50 AM

We have seen it before, at Remembrance Day

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/caidos2a.jpg

muriel 02-21-2008 08:36 AM

Camilla has a lovely collection of brooches, but most of them see to have coloured stones. I am not sure if I have seen any with just diamonds - wonder why? Has anybody seen her with any?

TheTruth 02-21-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 732512)
Camilla has a lovely collection of brooches, but most of them see to have coloured stones. I am not sure if I have seen any with just diamonds - wonder why? Has anybody seen her with any?

I don't know why ... There's this brooch with, I think, just diamonds on it :

jcbcode99 02-21-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew (Post 732453)
We have seen it before, at Remembrance Day

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/caidos2a.jpg

That's exactly right Andrew! It seemed familiar, but I couldn't place it. What a great eye you have!! Thanks

jcbcode99 02-21-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth (Post 732515)
I don't know why ... There's this brooch with, I think, just diamonds on it :

TheTruth--that's probably my favorite picture of Camilla--I always enjoy seeing it. I think she looks fantastic here!

andrew 02-21-2008 12:34 PM

You're welcome!
Here are others with all diamonds

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...rewcs/yjty.jpg

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/78126180.jpg

This one is a bit blurry, but it seems like a twin diamond-brooch

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...wcs/camill.jpg

muriel 02-22-2008 08:27 AM

Thanks Andrew. They are lovely. I do recall Camilla has worn the twin diamond brooch on other occassions as well, including at her first Ascot as DoC. I have not seen the brooch on the 1st of the 3 pictures you have posted been worn pther than when she wore it to one of her first visits to the Middle East as DoC.

I am not sure the brooch on the 2nd of the 3 pictures you posted is diamonds

andrew 02-23-2008 04:49 PM

The Queen Mother had a lot of all diamond brooches, so some may appear on the Duchess in the future !
Would love to see this!
https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...MbroochPML.jpg

normalil 02-28-2008 06:58 PM

ANything that Camilla wears is ok with me. Her history of dignity can carry anything off, bless her!
You lot on this forum leave me gob-smacked with your knowledge. I am obsessed with royal jewels, and so have spent all my time reading and droolin, and therefore not posting! Thanks everyone for all your Wonderful photos and links, they have given me so much pleasure. (I am a computer idiot, and do not know how to post linx and pix, so thankyou all.)

andrew 03-03-2008 03:57 PM

Could this bracelet be Queen Alexandra's bracelet?
https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...wall_j7rgJ.jpg

SCHMUCK | JEWELRY RSS NEWS
(scroll down, it's in the right corner of the picture)

andrew 03-03-2008 04:00 PM

Click on 'diamond stars' then scroll down click on 'The Diamond Stars worn in on a Tiara >>' and then in the right corner

Sorry

Prince of Chota 03-05-2008 11:30 PM

Oh...you had me excited for a second thinking that some of the Rundell parure had finally resurfaced. :-)

jcbcode99 03-06-2008 08:01 AM

One, that Rundell Tiara is stunning--it really should resurface.

Two--the bracelet's look to be the same -- Andrew, I am in awe of your skills! I would never have noticed such a thing. That was a treat!

BTW, I love the photo of Camilla Andrew posted--in the cream jacket with the sage/mint skirt--she looks wonderful--and wearing the PoW brooch with emerald drop and the emerald drop earrings! Those three pieces just make me drool. I would love to see the Vladimir emerald drop tiara accompany these stones. What a beautiful sight they would be!

andrew 03-06-2008 10:53 AM

It is such a shame(or mystery) that the Queen Mum did not wear the Rundell tiara, especially as she has worn the necklace from the parure some 2 billion times!
The Queen should let her daughter and daughters-in-law into that vault and have them search through those boxes! Of course everything would be on loan!
I bet that Princess Marie Christine(Michael) would take full advantage of the occasion, she seems to enjoy her jewellery!

Lady Marmalade 03-06-2008 02:56 PM

HM has some of the most beautiful emerald jewels. Camilla could wear that tiara with the existing emerald jewels she has now.

Warren 03-27-2008 07:42 AM

From the State Visit of French President Sarkozy, March 2008:

Ť

jcbcode99 03-27-2008 09:08 AM

She looks spectacular! The only thing she needs is a sash.......maybe soon.
I love to see the collet necklaces--I am assuming this is the same one she wore for her 60th birthday party? It was the Queen Mum's.
I supposed this tiara is her signature piece--don't get me wrong, I do love it. It's very impressive and she wears it wonderfully but I would love to see something else. It's becoming redundant.

normalil 03-27-2008 09:48 AM

I agree jcb, she looks wonderful, but I wish that we could see something different. I'd love to see her wearing amethysts.

andrew 03-27-2008 04:17 PM

It is very interesting that Princess Diana was Princess of Wales for more than 10 years and except the Royal Family Order and a Dutch Order(personal gift of QBeatrix) she did not receive any orders...:ohmy:
The Queen seems to be veeeery precautious about giving out orders. I wonder how will it be during Charles'(or Williams) reign?

Adamari 03-27-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew (Post 746969)
It is very interesting that Princess Diana was Princess of Wales for more than 10 years and except the Royal Family Order and a Dutch Order(personal gift of QBeatrix) she did not receive any orders...:ohmy:
The Queen seems to be veeeery precautious about giving out orders. I wonder how will it be during Charles'(or Williams) reign?

The Queen is picky about who she gives orders to, but she does hand them out eventually. All of her children now have the Order of the Garter, even if I don't necessary think they all deserve it. (I also wonder why she hasn't given it to the Duchess of Kent, who I think has done a great deal for Great Britain over the decades. Her de facto separation from her husband shouldn't diminish that contribution in any way.)

When it comes to orders from other countries, Diana tended to travel to non-royal countries that might not have these orders or that do not have events that require guests to wear them if they have received one. I've noticed that republican countries will only have full regalia at gala dinners when a royal head of state is making the state visit, and then usually only ones of the stature of Queen Elizabeth II. Official visits involving other royals tend to be more relaxed, or less formal, as are state visits between non-royal countries. Since Diana only made official visits, she might have had more orders than we ever saw her wearing.

Having said that, many other monarchs are equally picky about giving out their orders. The King of Spain rarely gives out his country's highest order: his own daughters do not have this order, nor do many other foreign royals. In fact, he doesn't usually give it to queen consorts or queen consorts, at least not right away.

jcbcode99 03-27-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normalil (Post 746743)
I agree jcb, she looks wonderful, but I wish that we could see something different. I'd love to see her wearing amethysts.

I completely agree--she seems to like the stone -- I just love those large amethyst earrings she wears--and I think she could do the Kent demi-parue real justice.

As for Orders--I was expecting to see the RVO, too. It would be nice if she had one to wear. She has more than proven she's in this relationship for the long haul.

MARG 03-28-2008 08:33 PM

The trouble with all of us is that every time we see something new we just want more. More, heaps more, pile it on . . . . open up those vaults!!

Cordonez 04-11-2008 10:54 PM

What is this?

https://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.c...80633961&cdi=0

Is this brooch a pin that was given to her for being head of some flying organization?

Does anyone have any background on it?

Thanks

Warren 04-12-2008 10:21 AM

It's an RAF badge of some sort and has a crown surmounting the wings.

noldorlord 04-15-2008 09:18 PM

It looks like something from the streeter Co catalog 1900-They did a lot of diamond animals and birds

GillW 04-16-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noldorlord (Post 754078)
It looks like something from the streeter Co catalog 1900-They did a lot of diamond animals and birds

I'm sorry - I thought it was really obvious - this is the insignia of the Royal Air Force

https://www.stewart-aviation.co.uk/images/161.JPG

:whistling:

Thomas Parkman 05-16-2008 07:43 PM

Well, dear members, could someone kindly come to my rescue here. The Noble Warren perhaps.?? I just purused the latest issue of Majesty Magazine and in it are picutures of the state dinner for the President of France. The Queen is magnificent in her ruby bedecked splendor and in the background of the foursome there is a picture of various and sundry royals including Princess Camilla. She is a wearing a tiara which I do not recognize. Of course it may be one that she has worn before the photo of which is not sufficiently clear or perhaps she is wearing a new contraption upon the ducal head??? Pant, pant, drool in anticipation. If anyone would be kind enough to pander to my insatiable and incurable ongoing madness I would be grateful. Cheers.

LadyCat 05-16-2008 08:44 PM

Thomas, she was wearing the Boucheron (sp?) Honeycomb tiara for the State Dinner for the Sarkozys. I know you've seen it before, and atop Camilla's head :flowers:

Cat

Warren 05-17-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman (Post 766759)
...or perhaps she is wearing a new contraption upon the ducal head???

Thomas, did you think that Camilla wearing a new tiara hadn't rated a mention in her own jewels thread? Oh, ye of little faith. :nonono:

Thomas Parkman 05-17-2008 02:32 PM

Not ye of little faith, O Most Noble and Glorious Warren, Moderator Splendissimus, but ye of little brain. Between the Lyme disease and my chocoholism plus my newly discovered passion, ie lust, for roses I am just not in my right mind or anybody's right mind for that matter. But the picture really is not very clear. And my roses were having a fit, or the Black Spot or some such and I was really distraught when I read that article, by way of soothing the shattered nerves. They have revived and fortunately I have not yet lived down to my real name: ie, the Black Thumb of Death. but it may come yet. Cheers.

PrincessofEurope 05-17-2008 02:44 PM

https://picture.belga.be/belgapicture...ev/9167918.jpg new necklace???

Warren 05-18-2008 03:42 AM

Duchess of Cornwall, wedding of Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly, May 2008.
Wearing a large and previously unseen 5-strand pearl, diamond and pink topaz choker.

Image courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB

BeatrixFan 05-18-2008 03:55 AM

Wow. I'd say this was Diamond and Amythyst but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, it's absolutely gorgeous. I'd say that Camilla was the best dressed guest at the wedding. I've love to see the centre of the choker added to some kind of diamond necklace so we could see it with a tiara.

MARG 05-18-2008 11:28 PM

Warren, thank you so much for the photo. I was viewing it at work but couldn't open the pic. But wow! It was well worth the wait. :w00t2:
Any idea of it's provenance or is it another "little gem" from the legenary vaults? :in_love:

Madame Royale 05-18-2008 11:54 PM

Judging by it's setting, the use of gold, and the detailing of the centrepiece, I'd put money on it that it's Victorian. Whether from the vaults or a private purchase, who knows.

Boris 05-19-2008 05:53 AM

Who knows?? The wonderful experts on the RJWMB know!
Thanks to CindyM: The set of pink topaz and diamonds (originally a brooch, now the choker’s centerpiece, with matching earrings) is Edwardian and was purchased at auction at Sotheby’s in the year 2000.

Madame Royale 05-19-2008 06:05 AM

Not often I loose money on a bet..haha.

Edwardian, would have been my second choice...:rolleyes::biggrin:

Aquired in the year 2000 you say. By Charles for Camilla do we know?

Boris 05-19-2008 06:21 AM

I’d say it’s most likely that the Prince of Wales purchased it for the then Camilla Parker Bowles - why should it have changed owners since. Converting it into a choker took time too.
Price tag back in June 2000 for the brooch and earrings: 22,925 British Pounds.

muriel 05-19-2008 06:28 AM

The choker looked lovely on Camilla. I suspect it was a recent purchase, as Camilla does not appear to have worn it to a public outing. Given that in the initial 6-12 months of being married she had access to a lot less jewellery than now, I would have thought she would have used it. In those days, she relied quite heavily on the 2 pearl chokers she had prior to her wedding

MARG 05-19-2008 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 767945)
. . . . Converting it into a choker took time too. Price tag back in June 2000 for the brooch and earrings: 22,925 British Pounds.

The PoW certainly has an eye for jewelry and knows what suits Camilla. Turning it into a semi formal suite was a masterstroke. :in_love:

Madame Royale 05-19-2008 06:48 AM

Quote:

why should it have changed owners since.
Don't recall insinuating it did.

Thank you for providing the information. At a price tag of 22,925 GBP, I think it's safe to say there was a long standing intent that Camilla would someday be his wife.

Though, converting it into a necklace wouldn't have taken so long if the pearls were already in possession of either the recipient or the purchaser. Perhaps it took time to aquire the desired pearls so as to create the choker?

muriel 05-20-2008 03:43 AM

8 years to create a choker? Does not sound reasonable! I think thisis porobably something Camilla has only just recently acquired

Madame Royale 05-20-2008 04:22 AM

Quote:

Does not sound reasonable
When aquiring pearls, you would be surprised just how long some wish to wait so as to guarantee shape, size and luster. I have no clue as to whether or not that is the case with this item of jewellery, so thought I'd put forth my question in the hope someone may infact know.

MARG 05-20-2008 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 768467)
When aquiring pearls, you would be surprised just how long some wish to wait so as to guarantee shape, size and luster.

Having spend almost 23 thousand pounds on the 'Centrepiece', what's a few years to make it perfect. And on closer inspection those pearls are, if not perfect, to die for. :in_love:

Madame Royale 05-20-2008 05:45 AM

Musn't forget the earrings...;)

Have we seen Camilla wear the earrings before? I have a feeling we may have, but I am perhaps confusing them with amethysts. A little hazy is my recollection.

andrew 05-20-2008 07:17 AM

Yes, we have!
During the Middle East tour. I'm not sure in which country...Or was it Pakistan? Anyway....here's the photo

https://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...rringsrose.jpg

muriel 05-20-2008 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 768467)
When aquiring pearls, you would be surprised just how long some wish to wait so as to guarantee shape, size and luster. I have no clue as to whether or not that is the case with this item of jewellery, so thought I'd put forth my question in the hope someone may infact know.

I agree finding the right pearls can sometimes take time, but when you have access to the worlds best jewellers, it really does not take very long.

It may well be that the brooch was acquired by the QM, or by somebody for the QM and not used by her in her lifetime. As the Queen slowly parts with more of QMs jewels and hands them to Camilla, it may be that this was a recently given to Camilla to use.

Madame Royale 05-20-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

but when you have access to the worlds best jewellers, it really does not take very long.
It is only when you wait, can you then be assured it is of the best craftmanship and finnest materials. Even the world's well renowned jewellers have to, from time to time, wait if they are to deliver on quality.

Though no expert in jewellery as such, I do possess a great interest in the industry and spend far too much money on acquiring the pieces I have (I recall having had my telephone and electricity cut off once because I couldn't afford to pay the bills, given the money I had forked out for a bracelet, also by Makers Mark...though that was some time ago now). At the moment I'm awaiting the arrival of a ring I had commissioned by Makers Mark, recently.

It's an 18ct White Gold Stamen Design Tahitian South Sea Pearl Ring with Round Brilliant Cut Diamonds. As I don't wear yellow gold, I've had the band cast in white gold.

Actually, here's the Makers Mark link and the particular ring I'm talking of.

Quote:

It may well be that the brooch was acquired by the QM, or by somebody for the QM and not used by her in her lifetime. As the Queen slowly parts with more of QMs jewels and hands them to Camilla, it may be that this was a recently given to Camilla to use.
Anything is likely. I assumed it was brought for Camilla by Charles, but it could be just as likely that it was bought for the late Queen Mother, I suppose.

jcbcode99 05-20-2008 03:44 PM

Madame Royale is correct--I have had several specially commissioned pieces made (I believe in giving myself a birthday gift!) and it does take time, and I do have an exceptional jeweler, but finding perfectly matched pieces takes awhile.
Madame Royale--wonderful website--your ring is going to be gorgeous (and look so much better in the white metal)

mrsbugman 05-20-2008 05:03 PM

Yes beautiful rings. I am jealous!

muriel 05-21-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 768645)
...here's the Makers Mark link and the particular ring I'm talking of.

Lovely ring, Madame Royal. You are very fortunate to be able to have jewellery commissionned specifically to your taste and size.

Surely though, with your extensive experience in these matters, if a jeweller told you to wait 8 years for a 5 string pearl necklace, you may find that a bit long. Do not get me wrong - I accept that for some things you have to wait for jewellers to be able to find matching pieces, especially if you want various precious stones matched up. But I am not sure a 5 string pearl necklace falls in that category. They look like good quality pearls, but they certainly don't come across as anything exceptional. The whole chokerput together is certainly exceptional, but that is largely down to the brooch they started with!

Madame Royale 05-21-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

You are very fortunate to be able to have jewellery commissionned specifically to your taste and size.
Fortunate or foolish...haha...nieces and nephews will no doubt tend to me in my latter years!

Quote:

Surely though, with your extensive experience in these matters, if a jeweller told you to wait 8 years for a 5 string pearl necklace, you may find that a bit long. Do not get me wrong - I accept that for some things you have to wait for jewellers to be able to find matching pieces, especially if you want various precious stones matched up. But I am not sure a 5 string pearl necklace falls in that category. They look like good quality pearls, but they certainly don't come across as anything exceptional. The whole chokerput together is certainly exceptional, but that is largely down to the brooch they started with!
8 years would be a very very long time to wait, and I don't necessarily think that the case with this particular choker. On the chance the pearls were specifically acquired on commission then there's no doubt there would have been an expected wait of some considerable time, but 8 years would be, in my estimation, incredibly unlikely. If the centrepiece was bought for 23,000 GBP, there's not a chance they are going to be fitted with an ordinary selection of pearls. A true insult to not only the wearer, but the piece itself.

We know when it was purchased, but we dont know when the strands were added. It could have been any time between the date of purchase and the Phillips wedding. And we aren't aware if the pearls were already privately owned by the now wearer, or indeed by the Prince of Wales.

I'd be interested to learn of their current market value.

Quote:

Madame Royale is correct--I have had several specially commissioned pieces made (I believe in giving myself a birthday gift!) and it does take time, and I do have an exceptional jeweler, but finding perfectly matched pieces takes awhile.

Madame Royale--wonderful website--your ring is going to be gorgeous (and look so much better in the white metal)
I think we've established the American version of moi..hehe. Good work, jcbcode99!

msleiman 05-21-2008 09:21 AM

What do you think will happen to most of Camilla's jewellery? Do you think that most will go the William or Camilla's daughter? I not sure if most of it has to go to William. The DOC sure does have some beautiful jewellery!!!!

MARG 05-21-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 769055)
We know when it was purchased, but we dont know when the strands were added. It could have been any time between the date of purchase and the Phillips wedding. And we aren't aware if the pearls were already privately owned by the now wearer, or indeed by the Prince of Wales.

Given the time lapse and the age and style of the centrepiece I believe it gives credence to the notion that it was purchased on behalf of the Queen Mother and made it's way to Camilla via the Queen and Prince Charles.

Madame Royale 05-21-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

What do you think will happen to most of Camilla's jewellery? Do you think that most will go the William or Camilla's daughter? I not sure if most of it has to go to William. The DOC sure does have some beautiful jewellery!!!!
Any personal jewellery belonging to the Duchess would, I'd assume, be devided between her blood children. Tom and Laura.

Perhaps a little something left for William or Harry, but as they stand to inherit their own mothers private collection of jewels, not tot to mention, in the case of William, the entire royal vault, I don't think that particularly likely.

Quote:

Given the time lapse and the age and style of the centrepiece I believe it gives credence to the notion that it was purchased on behalf of the Queen Mother and made it's way to Camilla via the Queen and Prince Charles.
That would see the more likely scenario. Though I have a feeling the pearls were added after the Queen Mother's time. Chokers weren't really her thing.

MARG 05-21-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleiman (Post 769059)

Anything with Royal provenance will remain within the BRF, most probably going to William or Harry (or horror of horror) back to the vaults! :flowers:
Personal gifts like her new choker are hers to dispose of as she wishes. :biggrin:

Menarue 05-21-2008 10:03 AM

Madame Royal that ring is gorgeous. I am sure that nieces and nephews on seeing it will be at your beck and call for a long time to come.
I believe that Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother left a great part of her private jewellery to Prince Charles and no doubt it will be appearing on Camilla. Her engagement ring came from Queen Elizabeth and I should imagine most of her jewellery has too. I remember she wore the same pearl necklace before she was married and a diamond necklace which was said to be from her family for evening formal wear. The magnificent, enormous tiara she has worn recently may belong to the Queen´s coffers, perhaps someone will tell me.
I am sure that her great-grandmother managed to collect some lovely jewellery when she was Edward VII´s mistress, she only had two daughters to inherit so some of the pieces have probably found their way to Camilla.

branchg 05-26-2008 10:04 PM

The Queen Mother left all of her private jewels to The Queen in a sovereign-to-sovereign transfer to avoid estate duty. The pieces she used as Queen Consort in right of the Crown (Queen Alexandra's ruby parure, pearl & diamond parure, the George III Fringe Tiara, the Oriental Circlet, several bracelets and brooches) were all returned to The Queen. She has since worn several of the pieces, notably the ruby parure and the Oriental Circlet.

The remainder of her jewels were mostly a bequest from her very wealthy friend, Mrs. Greville. The Boucheron Honeycomb Tiara was modified with diamond arches on the top by Cartier in 1949, with stones from Queen Mary. Queen Mary also gave her the Delhi Durbar diadem, which she wore once on a state visit to South Africa, and then never again.

Camilla has obviously been given these jewels by The Queen for her use. But The Queen Mother didn't leave them to Prince Charles.

brewer 05-27-2008 06:57 PM

Madame Royale, the ring is very beautiful and will look much better in white gold as opposed to yellow gold. It is not only women who will wait a long to time to have a piece of jewelry commissioned and finished. I waited 18 months for a white gold necklace set with 9mm black pearls to be finished after a saw a similiar one on a website about pearls for men. I think Camilla has exceptional taste in jewelry and always looks very elegant

Warren 05-28-2008 09:02 AM

Madame has inadvertently hijacked the thread.
Could we keep to the topic of Camilla's jewels please.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

muriel 05-29-2008 09:09 AM

Does anybody know when the next tiara toting event is?

Lord Chamberlain 06-02-2008 05:53 PM

I think that the Duchess of Cornwall has the class to wear those big diamonds and gigantic tiaras! After all, what's the purpose of keeping all these jewels in the vaults gathering dust? I think its wonderful the Queen is letting Camilla wear these historical pieces. Otherwise, we would never have seen them being worn again and that would be a shame! I know these big tiaras are a bit «out of fashion» but i suppose when the Duchess becomes the royal consort she will use them whenever she wants. She was already been given acess to major pieces (the saudi rubies, the emerald brooch, the Durbar tiara, the Oriental Circlet Tiara, the Honeycomb Boucheron Tiara). That's quite a valuable collection! It would be great to see her wearing more jewels from previous queens, especially from Queen Alexandra. I have seen photos of QA in the 1880s and I think there are a couple of tiaras that haven't seen day light for more than a century. It's time to wear them back again.

But I was thinking that when Camilla becomes Queen or Princess Consort or whatever (she will play the official role of a queen consort anyway...), won't it be strange to see her wearing the tiaras that are nowadays used by the Queen? I think she'll look fantastic in the Vladimir Tiara for example, but it will be odd to watch... after seeing Her Majesty wearing them for such a long time. What do you think? The Girl's of Great Britian and Ireland tiara wouldn't suit her though.

Boris 06-02-2008 06:06 PM

The Duchess of Cornwall never wore the Oriental Circlet ruby tiara. The Saudi ruby necklace is not a piece she was given access to, it's contemporary and was a gift to the Duchess.
Just for the record.

jcbcode99 06-02-2008 07:10 PM

This seems kind of morbid, discussing jewels The Duchess will wear that are currently worn by the QEII--so, I just want to add the disclaimer that I'm not looking forward to that event when it happens.

Now, about the tiaras. I do think that Camilla will look outstanding in the emerald drop version of the Vladimir tiara; she'll most likely wear the Kent Demi-Parue as she seems to like amethysts, and I think she'll look great in the Girls of Great Britian tiara--in fact, I think she would look fantastic in all pieces--even that aquamarine nightmare of QEII's.
But, I do wonder if we will see her in any of Alexandra's signature pieces--the kokoshink tiara and the pearl necklace to be specific--because of the whole Alice Keppel/Queen Alexandra/King Edward triangle. Personally, I want to see her in that tiara; it would suit her quite well.

MARG 11-02-2008 08:42 AM

It was wonderful to see the Duchess of Cornwall wearing that gorgeous Diamond Collet with her pale pink chiffon at the dinner in Brunei and the fabulous single strand of pearls with matching earrings worn with the ivory chiffon (with ruffles) at the presentation at the Brunei Darussalam University. :wub:

Sad that there were no "Tiara" moments, but the collet and the pearls where an inspired choice for the occassions. :wub:

jcbcode99 11-02-2008 03:09 PM

She wore some brooches with that purple suit in Japan but I wasn't able to determine which ones they were. Anyone know?

muriel 11-03-2008 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 847031)
She wore some brooches with that purple suit in Japan but I wasn't able to determine which ones they were. Anyone know?

Camilla has worn these brooches earlier, and if I am not mistaken, she wore them previously for 2006 Ascot with the gold coat dress and the large feathery hat. She wore the same ensemble again the following year at one of the Buck House balcony events (2007 Trooping the colour?). I am not sure what the brooches are made of, but appear to be painted enamel on gold

wymanda 11-03-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 772850)
Does anybody know when the next tiara toting event is?

The Diplomatic Corps reception in the next few days.:flowers:

muriel 11-03-2008 07:23 AM

Its very interesting to observe "the progression" when it comes to Camilla and the diamond necklaces she has worn over the years.

First up, rewinding to her 50th birthday party at Highgrove in July 1997, we got to see the diamond necklace with the daisies and yellow gold (repeated again when they went to the US in 2005, for the premiere of The Far Pavilions, and for the party they hosted for the Queens 80th birthday at Kew).

Daisies and yellow gold diamond necklace (see post 444):
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/charles-and-camillas-official-visit-to-the-u-s-a-1-8-november-2005-a-7662-23.html

Next up came the "serpent" diamond necklace, which Charles is meant to have acquired for her before they were married and used by Camilla on a number of occasions before and after they were married, including the state dinner for the Norwegiens when Camilla wore the Delhi Durbar.
Serpent diamond necklace:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205988&d=1130275553

Third came the "mystery" diamond necklace first seen on the trip to the US in 2005, and then again when Camilla wore the Boucheron honeycomb tiara for the first time.

Mystery diamond necklace (see post 53):
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/duchess-of-cornwall-jewellery-3-nov-2005-feb-2007-a-8035-3.html

Fourth came the collet necklace on her 60th birthday (and again when the Sarkozy's visited, and in Brunei)
Collet necklace:
ImageShack - Hosting :: offpim8.jpg

......to be followed rapidly by the Greville 5 strings in Uganda!
Greville 5 string:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...7&postcount=34

Just demonstrates that Camilla has the poise and presence to wear some of the worlds most "serious" jewels!

auntie 11-04-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 847279)
Greville 5 string:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...7&postcount=34

Just demonstrates that Camilla has the poise and presence to wear some of the worlds most "serious" jewels!

WOW WOW WOW:w00t::w00t::w00t: If only I could have just one string, oh heck even one stone...

scooter 11-18-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 715306)
Cornwall

Am I the only one surprised that Mrs. Keppel's gift from the King was synthetic rubies and diamonds? I wonder if 1. It was ment to be real jewels and the jeweler cheated. 2. If Mrs Keppel sold the real ones and had synthetics set in the platinum frame. Why would the King give the 'love of hiis life' fake stones?

CarolinaLandgrave 11-18-2008 09:09 PM

How strange - it is odd Scooter.

jcbcode99 11-20-2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter (Post 855315)
Am I the only one surprised that Mrs. Keppel's gift from the King was synthetic rubies and diamonds? I wonder if 1. It was ment to be real jewels and the jeweler cheated. 2. If Mrs Keppel sold the real ones and had synthetics set in the platinum frame. Why would the King give the 'love of hiis life' fake stones?

As I recall reading, synthetic rubies were really quite the rage and at the time were rather expensive. It was certainly not a "slight" to be given one--especially if the pieces were set in platinum and diamonds! I believe my recollection comes from G. Munn's book on Tiaras--there is a lovely picture of the piece. Camilla has worn it as a necklace before as well. It's an interesting piece.

Warren 11-20-2008 09:21 AM

:previous:
This is what Mr Munn has to say on the subject of synthetic rubies, page 126:

"These newly invented stones, hardly valued today, were considered something of a novety at the turn of the century and found their way into the commercial repertoire of a number of famous firms, including Fabergé."

QueenElizabeth 11-26-2008 10:01 AM

This is a picture which appeared in Duchess of Cornwall Jewelry in February. This white brooch once belonged to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. I remember she wore it with poppies during the Opening of the Field Of Remembrance in the later years of her life. So, this brooch is not new; but inherited from The Queen Mother.

Menarue 11-26-2008 10:38 AM

I love antique jewellery but at first I was really taken aback at the prices these synthetic rubies bring even in these days now that I know more about them I would gladly receive some as a present......

PrincessofEurope 12-12-2008 04:42 PM

https://i38.tinypic.com/2emhiew.jpg Royal Variey Performance 11th dec

muriel 12-12-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope (Post 866473)
https://i38.tinypic.com/2emhiew.jpg Royal Variey Performance 11th dec

Good to see this "mystery" diamond necklace of Camilla's reappear after a few years. The earrings have had regular outings with the collet collier necklace and the Greville 5 strings.

jcbcode99 12-12-2008 09:16 PM

I must say, Camilla is displaying these jewels quite impressively.

On a different note, I haven't seen any photos from the Diplomatic Corp Reception.....anything worth posting?

rubies 12-13-2008 07:17 AM

Camilla sure seems to wear the big 'stuff' with ease. Good for her!! Love this necklace!!

muriel 12-17-2008 06:59 AM

Good to see the diamond serpent pecklace reappear after a few years rest at The Sun Military Awards at Hampton Court Palace on 16 Dec

https://i40.tinypic.com/r70fhj.jpg

QueenElizabeth 12-17-2008 07:55 AM

I think The Duchess of Cornwall wore this diamond serpent necklace as well during the State Banquet in honour of the Norwegian royals back in 2005.

muriel 12-17-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth (Post 868494)
I think The Duchess of Cornwall wore this diamond serpent necklace as well during the State Banquet in honour of the Norwegian royals back in 2005.

Thats right, but it has not been seen much since early 2006.

jcbcode99 12-17-2008 09:04 AM

I"ve always rather liked this necklace. Didn't Charles purchase it for her?
And, loving the Duchess in that gown!

muriel 12-17-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 868521)
I"ve always rather liked this necklace. Didn't Charles purchase it for her?
And, loving the Duchess in that gown!

Charles is meant to have bought it for Camilla in the early part of this century, and it is rumoured to hav been one of the Keppel jewels.

I too love the gown - it is wonderfully theathrical, and I just love the way Camilla continues to recycle these suingature pieces over the years. That said, I am not sure if some of her more recent gowns will be that "durable" :smile:

BrightLighter 12-23-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew (Post 732594)

I'm not one for brooches - too many on a person just looks gaudy; but the 2nd pic of Camilla's brooch is of a stick bug. A stick bug in diamonds? That's ugly - sorry, but it is.

jcbcode99 12-23-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrightLighter (Post 870932)
I'm not one for brooches - too many on a person just looks gaudy; but the 2nd pic of Camilla's brooch is of a stick bug. A stick bug in diamonds? That's ugly - sorry, but it is.

That's not really the best angle or background for the bug brooch. It's actually a lovely piece--I believe it is art deco in its design and at one point insect and bug brooches were really popular. There is a photo of Camilla wearing it on black velvet background and it really pops and looks lovely. I can't find --it was on Magnolia's website which is not tragically not up any longer. Perhaps someone else has it?

PrincessofEurope 01-12-2009 05:20 PM

Next months Majesty magazine (Feb issue) is featuring an insight into the jewels of Camilla which should be interesting

GillW 01-12-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrightLighter (Post 870932)

Camilla is very fond of the stick insect brooch as her father bought it for her.

jcbcode99 01-12-2009 07:01 PM

GillW--is there, perchance, a Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall brooch database being created??

GillW 01-13-2009 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 879097)
GillW--is there, perchance, a Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall brooch database being created??

Not as such (not by me anyway! ...not to date...) But that doesn't mean I don't take any notice...I try to keep a picture record of each one I spot her wearing, and remember snippets if I read anything interesting. I also note any Camilla wears which formerly belonged to the queen Mum....:flowers:

QueenElizabeth 01-13-2009 03:33 AM

In the next edition of Majesty, the jewellery box of The Duchess of Cornwall will be opened to us. I can't wait!

muriel 01-20-2009 09:34 AM

See below the pearl choker that Camilla is wearing. Does anybody know much about its provenance? Camilla is usually only seen wear it in Scotland, and I think the first time I saw her wear it was on their honeymoon.

---------------------
The Duchess of Cornwall during a visit to a group of historic
buildings near Balmoral Castle the Royal Family's Scottish
estate in Aberdeenshire, January 15, 2009:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

GillW 01-20-2009 12:21 PM

I have note of an event in 2006 in London, so it is not exclusive to Scotland

details_pop

QueenElizabeth 01-20-2009 02:01 PM

I once read that this pearl choker with a central amethyst or sapphire, don't know, I think she possesses more than one of this kind, was once proporty of The Duchess' mother. I think this one is from her mother; and the one she wore on the Phillips weddings in May is one she received from The Prince of Wales.
But I advice to buy Majesty this month, where the jewellery box of Camilla will be opened to us.

qui mal y pense 01-20-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GillW (Post 879095)
Camilla is very fond of the stick insect brooch as her father bought it for her.

I was under the impression it was a piece of the queen mum's. Where did you get your info?

As for the Majesty article, it's not like Camilla is going to provide an interview. There is nothing she has worn in public that hasn't been mentioned on the forum.