The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Denmark (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   Costs, Income, Fortune and Expenditures of the Danish Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/costs-income-fortune-and-expenditures-of-the-danish-royal-family-15571.html)

Paty 12-12-2007 05:33 AM

Costs, Income, Fortune and Expenditures of the Danish Royal Family

This week HER&NU, Any Translation?
https://herognu.com/mediafiles/1/imag...rside_0750.jpg

JessRulz 12-12-2007 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 703999)

"Mary's Expensive Style - Clothes for 25,000 a Day"

The little caption at the Christian picture says "King for a Day" :biggrin:

Paty 12-12-2007 06:01 AM

25.000 KKK?
How much is this in Euros?

JessRulz 12-12-2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paty (Post 704006)
25.000 KKK?
How much is this in Euros?

Roughly 3,300 Euro

Marengo 12-12-2007 06:09 AM

That would be 3350,89 euros a day, according to the euro calculator ;). IMHO such articles are rather idiotic anyway, how do they know what Mary is spending? She isn´t going to tell them, neither will the people where she buys things. So how did they come up with this number, does the article explain anything?

Paty 12-12-2007 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessRulz (Post 704008)
Roughly 3,300 Euro

Thank you grils , I have to say that I don´t think is very expensive at all for a Crown Princes, wiht all those offcial act,
And I agree with you Marengo, how they know it?

bbb 12-12-2007 09:03 AM

silly article imo how can they possibly know what she spends. since we know how much she recycles her clothes (just this week, she wore things from 3 or 4 years ago) it's just another swipe at mary to sell magazines.

RubyPrincess168 01-04-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 704009)
That would be 3350,89 euros a day, according to the euro calculator ;). IMHO such articles are rather idiotic anyway, how do they know what Mary is spending? She isn´t going to tell them, neither will the people where she buys things. So how did they come up with this number, does the article explain anything?

My guess is they print the retail value of the clothes, but Mary probable gets them for much less, possibly even cost in exchange for the publicity the designer gets when Mary wears them.

Tricota 01-17-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 (Post 711949)
My guess is they print the retail value of the clothes, but Mary probable gets them for much less, possibly even cost in exchange for the publicity the designer gets when Mary wears them.

Actually they know pretty accurately because the royal family do not pay VAT, or rather it is refunded once a year. And in order for it to be refunded, they ofcouse have to show proof of purchase in the form of some kind of receipt. And the amount is, I believe, at least semi public record.

So its not just guessing...

msleiman 01-17-2008 02:26 PM

I don't know if I understand right, but she spending 25,000 DKK a day? Well by the Currency Converter this would around 5,000 USD. I agree with another poster that that does not seem to be alot for a Crown Princess. Mary also does wear alot of NICE things. Some of her bags will cost more than that for just one! Well, she looks great and I guess that she does get alot well below retail value!

highpriestess 01-17-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleiman (Post 717531)
I don't know if I understand right, but she spending 25,000 DKK a day? Well by the Currency Converter this would around 5,000 USD. I agree with another poster that that does not seem to be alot for a Crown Princess. Mary also does wear alot of NICE things. Some of her bags will cost more than that for just one! Well, she looks great and I guess that she does get alot well below retail value!

$5000 USD a day isn't much? That's $1,825,000 a year for clothing alone. That amount isn't much if she married Bill Gates or Tiger Woods, but I'm not sure how much the pay Fred or she gets from the government. How much is her personal allowances?

I don't know whether this story was true or not. It could be true as the Danish poster said. I found it interesting that after a couple years of grood press where the Danish and Australian press praised her to the sky, i. e. fashion icon, the most popular crown princess etc. Now most press is about her spending and supposed marital problem. For a public figure living on tax payers' money, this isn't good for image. Persception can become reality if she's not careful.

Marengo 01-17-2008 04:49 PM

Well, I think it is highly unlikely that Mary (or anybody else) spends 1.825.000 a year on clothes and cosmetics. It is an absurd sum and it is more than her allowance (maybe even more than the combined allowance of her and her husband). Considering the source (a gossip magazine) it is safe to assume this is nonsense.

Another thing is that some people here talk about ´the press´ being negative about Mary etc. In this we also have to make a difference within the press. Thus far it has mainly been unreliable gossip magazines. Only when serious newspapers start about things there is ground to worry (in the Danish RF the only thing that strikes me as serious at the moment are the doubts over CP Frederik´s IOC membership). The supposed marital problems are coming from the gossip press, which is hardly reliable. If we had to believe all they said Mary should have had at least 20 children by now for example.

msleiman 01-17-2008 05:16 PM

I was thinking that this was for more than just clothes and makeup! I was thinking that this is also for her staff, travel, car and other things. I was thinking that this ( 1.825.00 dkk) was a total for the year for ALL things that Mary does not just clothes and makeup! Sorry if I miss understood!

Marengo 01-17-2008 05:23 PM

Maybe I understood it wrong, bu still that amount of money a year would mean that she spends more than she gets and that the Danish RF has to pay extra from their own resources, not very likely (and if it is true: not very wize!).

highpriestess 01-17-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleiman (Post 717636)
I was thinking that this was for more than just clothes and makeup! I was thinking that this is also for her staff, travel, car and other things. I was thinking that this ( 1.825.00 dkk) was a total for the year for ALL things that Mary does not just clothes and makeup! Sorry if I miss understood!

See the post on top of this page: "Mary's Expensive Style - Clothes for 25,000 a Day". It clearly says 25,000 DKK for "clothes" alone. A poster says 25,000 DKK converts to $5000 USD. $5000 USD a day means $1,825,000 USD a year. That's quite a bit of money for clothes. But as I said, everything is relative.

ricarda 01-18-2008 08:19 AM

But the "problem" is:
according to the annual report 2006 (the one for 2007 is not online yet) Frederik and Mary (Mary has no allowance of her own) had an expenditure cap of 3.090.828,- DKK a year which is 608.024,- USD. And from that money they have to pay everything which is not staff cost, property expense, administrative expense and court expense (they actually have an allowance of 15.454.142,- DKK a year).
If Mary would spend 25.000 DKK a day for clothes ($1,825,000 USD a year) then that alone would be three times as much as the money they actually got and spent in 2006 for their personal purposes. ( And what about clothes for Frederik and the children ?). As Marengo said: A totally absurd sum made up by a gossip magazine.

https://download.tdconline.dk/pub/kon...et_2006_UK.pdf

Well, let's wait for the annual report 2007, then we will know for sure.:flowers:

biboquinhas 01-18-2008 09:31 AM

Well I don't know how mucht she spend on clothes but I waht I do know is that she should recycle more, she has almoust everyday a new outfit. Yes she recycles like the blue suit she has recycle a few days ago but I think that she could recycle more and not spend so mucht money on Prada bags and shoes.Her clothes are lovely and to me she is one of the best dressed Royal but also I think that she spends a lot of money on clothes and she should't

Saphire 01-18-2008 09:39 AM

She gets an allowance, but who is to stop her from dipping into their own personal wealth (assuming they have one)? She does dress nice though, and she owns first class jewelry.

biboquinhas 01-18-2008 10:02 AM

Yes! I love Mary but sometimes I think that she looks more like a celebrity than a Royal. When we get to see her clothes closely we can see always the nicests materials and the nicest International or Danish brands we have never saw Mary wearing Mango, vero Moda, Massimo dutti or some other medium cost Danish brands.

msleiman 01-18-2008 11:22 AM

Do you think that some of these items are giving to Mary? If it is a gift then no money comes from her allowance or personal wealth. I think that she is giving alot of things for friends, family and designers.

bbb 01-18-2008 11:30 AM

my first thought was wow only $600 grand a year, i mean that's really not much to "rich people", very interesting thanks, ricarda.
in the celebrity world the higher profile you have, the more free stuff you receive. everytime she's in a photograph, it's free advertising for them,
win-win for both parties. i've often read of other high profile royals over the years that expected to pay less or not wear.
in the news lately the late queen mother in britian, letters to her dressmakers during the war have come out, it's amusing looking at history -the stories on the sums spent for clothes, the tzarinas, the empresses, the queens, the princesses, shoot i'll bet Caesar complained about how much his wife spent, at least it's consistant ;) and i'm sure it sells papers.

sgl 01-18-2008 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleiman (Post 717954)
Do you think that some of these items are giving to Mary? If it is a gift then no money comes from her allowance or personal wealth. I think that she is giving alot of things for friends, family and designers.

My guess is that she is given things by designers. Just as they do for actresses at award shows, designers often give gowns to prominent women who will be photographed and featured in magazines. It is free advertising for the designers. After all, what is more flattering than seeing a royal person or a world-famous actress in your design? If she is purchasing everything, then she should definitely recycle more. However, I would not be surprised to learn that designers either gave her gowns or lent gowns to her for events.

ashelen 01-18-2008 12:52 PM

i have to think that she like all the other CP may get some staff for free as publicity, otherwise what kind of closet they should have to put all their dresses, gowns, hats, shoes, handbags etc........, may be they have a huge dressing room!????????

highpriestess 01-18-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgl (Post 717961)
My guess is that she is given things by designers. Just as they do for actresses at award shows, designers often give gowns to prominent women who will be photographed and featured in magazines. It is free advertising for the designers.

But a Danish crown princess doesn't have the drawing power a Hollywood star has. She may be valuable for Danish designers, but international designers such as Prada? I'm not sure. Maxima paid for her Valentino gowns. Why would Prada give something to Mary for free when her name recognition is very limited on the world stage? Plus, royals belong to the small group of people who actually can afford haute culture. If top designers give clothes to these people for free, where do they make money from? BTW, most top designers who give stars gowns to wear for the Oscar actually ask for the gowns back after the show. It's a "loan", not a free gift.

Plus, it's okay for Hollywood actors/actresses to act greedy. Is it really acceptable for royals to accept freebies when they are already on taxpayers' dime? Nancy Reagan's accepting free gowns from designers caused a scandal in the US. Aren't royals in the same boat? Royals, and politians' wives, are held to a higher standard than actresses.

dee4855 01-18-2008 07:50 PM

highpriestess....But a Danish crown princess doesn't have the drawing power a Hollywood star has. She may be valuable for Danish designers, but international designers such as Prada? I'm not sure. Maxima paid for her Valentino gowns.

How do you know Maxima paid for her gowns? We do not know if Mary was given a discount or not. This is just a personal opinion from someone that thought they might have. Once again it is a guessing game. None of us will ever know the truth either way.

ashelen 01-18-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee4855 (Post 718154)
highpriestess....But a Danish crown princess doesn't have the drawing power a Hollywood star has. She may be valuable for Danish designers, but international designers such as Prada? I'm not sure. Maxima paid for her Valentino gowns.

How do you know Maxima paid for her gowns? We do not know if Mary was given a discount or not. This is just a personal opinion from someone that thought they might have. Once again it is a guessing game. None of us will ever know the truth either way.

i agree with you, we will never know the trouth about a lot of things about them. how we know if they have a discount, pay in full , promotion, etc.....
certenly they have the money to pay all of this but in the other hand they do not use many times all this dresses and just for one time dress to pay a valentino o prada it is a lot of money !!!!!!!:flowers:

Fashionista100 01-18-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biboquinhas (Post 717877)
Well I don't know how mucht she spend on clothes but I waht I do know is that she should recycle more, she has almoust everyday a new outfit. Yes she recycles like the blue suit she has recycle a few days ago but I think that she could recycle more and not spend so mucht money on Prada bags and shoes.Her clothes are lovely and to me she is one of the best dressed Royal but also I think that she spends a lot of money on clothes and she should't

Biboquinhas,

Mary recycles more than almost every Crown Princess. If you go to the CPM message board there are huge threads devoted to her recycling. It just isn't followed on this board much. Also, Mary is no different than other Crown Princesses in dressing. I hope the critique is also is on their threads too. I think Mary dresses well. She, IMO, dresses better than the other Crown Princesses. I think her style is refined.

She does get a lot of loans too. Esp. in jewelry. Some jewelry she owns outright, many are gifts from designers who say so later. And yes, some are given to her by her husband. Clothes are the same way.

GlitteringTiaras 01-18-2008 08:28 PM

I have to disagree with you, Fashionista. Mary does not recycle her clothes more than any other Crown Princess. All of them recycle no more than any other average Judy, Jane, Sally, or Kate (:biggrin:) on Earth.

Furthermore, and this is not directed at you or anyone in paticular, but does it really matter all that much if Mary's clothes are SWAG or if she pays for them?

She has done quite a bit as Crown Princess, so far, and to nit pick everything she does seems frivolous and, to be blunt, pointless (equally so by counting as well as sorting photo by photo how many times she has recycled particluar skirt or top.) I mean, why?

Finally, it's not a competition as to who recycles more often and thus they are the better woman for doing so (and I'm not saying you said that, Fashionista:smile:.)

Essentially, are there more important issues to discuss like Mary's involvement with the Danish Heart Association and/or her three day Basic Military training stint to name a few.

:smile:

highpriestess 01-18-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 718164)
does it really matter all that much if Mary's clothes are SWAG or if she pays for them?

She has done quite a bit as Crown Princess, so far, and to nit pick everything she does seems frivolous and, to be blunt, pointless

Since her life style is paid for by tax payers, she does have to answer to tax payers when she seemingly spends a lot of money on expensive wardrobe and extravegant renovation. In today's political environment, royals need to justify their existence and extravegant life style doesn't enhance any royal's image.

GlitteringTiaras 01-18-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpriestess (Post 718202)
Since her life style is paid for by tax payers, she does have to answer to tax payers when she seemingly spends a lot of money on expensive wardrobe and extravegant renovation. In today's political environment, royals need to justify their existence and extravegant life style doesn't enhance any royal's image.

Yes, that is true, but I'm not so sure that she spends five grand a day, more or less, on clothes.

Furthermore, I noted that perhaps some of the clothes she recieves may be SWAG (Danish designers only thus free advertisement in Billed Bladet, and other magazines, newspapers, and so forth) or offered to her at a steep discount (Prada, Hugo Boss, etc, etc.) If this were true, she wouldn't be spending five grand; in fact, it would be less...waaaaaaay less. Also, the papers would have no idea if she recieved the items via SWAG or steep discounts. They're only going by how much those ensembles originally cost to us little people. :biggrin:

Now, if there is an official list, with every single receipt for all the clothes, detailing every single minute item (including black panty hose) which notes she did indeed fork over that much money a day, then there is a problem.

The only list I know of (and another a year before) is the one Ricarda mentioned in a previous post, but that one is not as detailed. In fact, it's very basic.

Marengo 01-19-2008 05:02 AM

Well, isn´t it entirely her own business what she does with the money she gets? As long as she looks in order and the staff is paid she can do what she wants. ´The Danish taxpayer´ pays her for representing Denmark but that doesn´t mean that a royal has to spend the money the way taxpayers want them to! She can throw all the money in the sea for all I care, it is her money!

The life of any public servant is paid for by taxpayers, do they have to awnser to them too? Sure, Mary gets more money than the average Danish public servant, but that doesn´t give anybody the right to know about her private financial behavior (apart from the tax-office).

But you (ricarda) have a point that overspending isn´t a wize thing to do, PR wize. In my own country the Queen prefers Volvo´s and Fords over more expensive cars, to evade the image of a flashy moneyspending family. I gather that the Danish royals wouldn´t like their image to be that of jetsetting and overspending people either, but IMO that doesn´t seem to be the case. The amount of money that Mary spends on clothes should be more or less the same as her European ´collegues´ (or maybe even less than some as she doiesn´t wear the most expensive couture of Valentino and such), their house doesn´t seem too lavish (compare it to Laeken Palace where the Belgian CP-ly couple are living). Redecorations/restaurations of old buildings usually brings high costs, so it is hardly surprising that a palace where nothing changed for about 50 years will have a lot of costs and works. Some of the public will grumble about that indeed, like they do in Norway whenever Queen Sonja restaures anything, or in The Netherlands when Queen Bee had the palaces in The Hague restaured etc etc.

Madame Royale 01-19-2008 06:36 AM

It would be my guess (and that is all it is) that Frederik and Mary don't see it as mine and yours, but ours.

They 'seem' to be a couple who think as a partnership and though Mary is accorded her own official sum of money from Frederik's income, I just get a feeling that much of the sum allocated to the Crown Princely couple is shared and distributed, dare I say it, evenly (I could of course be wrong).

We musn't forget that the money they receive also pays the wages of their staff and the upkeep of their household.

$5000 a day? What a rediculous allegation. Anything substantiative to support it, because for the past 6 or so months there's seemed to be nothing but media dribble... which I'm hopeful no one actually takes seriously and without factual precaution.

Fashionista100 01-19-2008 09:22 AM

She has done quite a bit as Crown Princess, so far, and to nit pick everything she does seems frivolous and, to be blunt, pointless (equally so by counting as well as sorting photo by photo how many times she has recycled particluar skirt or top.) I mean, why?

Finally, it's not a competition as to who recycles more often and thus they are the better woman for doing so (and I'm not saying you said that, Fashionista:smile:.)

Essentially, are there more important issues to discuss like Mary's involvement with the Danish Heart Association and/or her three day Basic Military training stint to name a few.

:smile:[/quote]

I think it is fun to track her clothes. It's a fantasy, part of the fairytale. After a very stressfull day, it's my bit of fluff to make me relax and enjoy. I think that is why people do it. Why must everything be so serious.

No, you are correct. It is not a competition. But Mary seems to bear more critique than most about everything.

Yes, there are other issues and we do discuss them. But sometimes, you need to discuss fun topics too. I live some of the things Mary is patron of, so for me why get bogged down in my life when I can escape with fun stuff?

MargreteI 01-19-2008 03:23 PM

As far as I can remember the 25.000,- dkk was the amount she was wearing on a particular day. Not the amount she spends.

Besides she often does wear garments from danish designers, that - all though not ordinary medium prized chain brands, they are in reach for many non-rich people who does not suffer from the quantity over quality syndrome.

:)

highpriestess 01-19-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 718218)
Now, if there is an official list, with every single receipt for all the clothes, detailing every single minute item (including black panty hose) which notes she did indeed fork over that much money a day, then there is a problem.

See Tricota's post #234 above:

"Actually they know pretty accurately because the royal family do not pay VAT, or rather it is refunded once a year. And in order for it to be refunded, they ofcouse have to show proof of purchase in the form of some kind of receipt. And the amount is, I believe, at least semi public record.

So its not just guessing..."

This would not include all the purchases Mary did in London or Milan, as we all know she did frequent. So the media does have a way to get a partial picture.

Some posters have been insisting that Mary got most items for free or at a highly discounted price (which I doubt). But we're talking about image issue here, not accounting accuracy. The public has no way of knowing such under-the-table arrangements. All they see is that Mary is wearing top designers' outfit day-in and day-out. They could get the price of a Hugo Boss's dress or a Prada dress from a fashion magazine. They would assume Mary paid the ticket price. They would start wondering the money she spent on clothes, just like some tabloid press had done. In PR, perception is reality.

UserDane 01-19-2008 05:44 PM

'Top designers' outfit day in and day out' - LOL. You never do give it a rest do you? :biggrin: Keep up the good work :lol:

GlitteringTiaras 01-19-2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpriestess (Post 718513)
See Tricota's post #234 above:

"Actually they know pretty accurately because the royal family do not pay VAT, or rather it is refunded once a year. And in order for it to be refunded, they ofcouse have to show proof of purchase in the form of some kind of receipt. And the amount is, I believe, at least semi public record.

So its not just guessing..."

This would not include all the purchases Mary did in London or Milan, as we all know she did frequent. So the media does have a way to get a partial picture.

Some posters have been insisting that Mary got most items for free or at a highly discounted price (which I doubt). But we're talking about image issue here, not accounting accuracy. The public has no way of knowing such under-the-table arrangements. All they see is that Mary is wearing top designers' outfit day-in and day-out. They could get the price of a Hugo Boss's dress or a Prada dress from a fashion magazine. They would assume Mary paid the ticket price. They would start wondering the money she spent on clothes, just like some tabloid press had done. In PR, perception is reality.

I did see that. And, hey, thanks for pointing that out. Again.

Madame Royale 01-19-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

But Mary seems to bear more critique than most about everything.
It does seem that way, and why?

Much talk is made of Mary's wardrobe yet if you look at Maxima's for example, her wardrobe is stacked to high heaven with designer clothing, and much of the time wears a new hat for almost every occasion (Note: I do quite like Maxima and am not speaking poorly of her).

And the undisputed reigning Queen (literally) of fashion, Queen Rania, is not chastised as vigorously as is Mary. If you go through the Queen Rania evening gown threads you will notice how almost everything worn by Her Majesty has been worn only once thus far.

ashelen 01-20-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 718676)

Much talk is made of Mary's wardrobe yet if you look at Maxima's for example, her wardrobe is stacked to high heaven with designer clothing, and much of the time wears a new hat for almost every occasion (Note: I do quite like Maxima and am not speaking poorly of her).

And the undisputed reigning Queen (literally) of fashion, Queen Rania, is not chastised as vigorously as is Mary. If you go through the Queen Rania evening gown threads you will notice how almost everything worn by Her Majesty has been worn only once thus far.

I think you are right most of them they use all this designer clothing and like you said about Maxima she has a new hat fro almost every occasion. I wonder were she put all of them, she must have a huge dressingroom for all of clothing and hat, but I must say she use several times the shoes.

GlitteringTiaras 01-20-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Key word: Seem.

UserDane 01-20-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more Madame Royale :smile: IMO Mary could be 'forgiven' for having roughly the same wardrobe as her fellow princesses if only she would have the decency to look like crap in it!;) Then her adversaries could focus on the numerous ways she re-uses her wardrobe and criticise her for that. Instead she looks elegant and is good at combining her wardrobe pieces in news ways - an unforgivable crime:biggrin:

As to Rania... well, judging from the pictures of her wardrobe - and combining this with the criticism such a wardrobe would trigger had it been e.g. Mette-Marit or - God forbid - Mary! - I must conclude that Rania is the queen of a country which is so rich, stable and economically well-balanced for all that it's citizens must be in a state of near-permanent bless! Otherwise some of Mary's most vocal opponents in the dress department would surely comment on Rania - wouldn't they?

highpriestess 01-20-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Dutch RF is known to be one of the wealthiest among royals. Rania did get flaks for spending so much on wardrobe in Royal Blue, but this is Mary's forum, isn't it? So why drag other royals into this?

Madame Royale 01-20-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Rania did get flaks for spending so much on wardrobe in Royal Blue
I wouldn't know, I wasn't part of a forum which boasted a malicious reputation.

Quote:

...but this is Mary's forum, isn't it? So why drag other royals into this?
Yes, last time I 'checked' it was a thread dedicated to Mary. Though in correlation with my point, and addressing the often clear prejudice which takes place amongst such a discussion, I found it pertinent to highlight the argument as not a singular, but collective issue which involves not one, but most European Crown Princesses and even a Queen. If you care to taint one with the brush of frivolity then you (genercially speaking) cannot disassociate one from the other because to do so is particularly foolish and without justification. They all own large amounts of designer clothing and they all spend their government approved remunerations.

Marengo 01-21-2008 05:33 PM

The posts in the thread ´Mary on Magazine covers´ that discuss Mary´s supposed clothing expenses have been moved to a new thread. In this thread ´Costs, Income, Fortune and Expenditures of the Danish RF´ we can discuss all the financial issues concerning the Danish Royal Family.

Jia 04-21-2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpriestess (Post 718067)
But a Danish crown princess doesn't have the drawing power a Hollywood star has. She may be valuable for Danish designers, but international designers such as Prada? I'm not sure. Maxima paid for her Valentino gowns. Why would Prada give something to Mary for free when her name recognition is very limited on the world stage? Plus, royals belong to the small group of people who actually can afford haute culture. If top designers give clothes to these people for free, where do they make money from? BTW, most top designers who give stars gowns to wear for the Oscar actually ask for the gowns back after the show. It's a "loan", not a free gift.

Plus, it's okay for Hollywood actors/actresses to act greedy. Is it really acceptable for royals to accept freebies when they are already on taxpayers' dime? Nancy Reagan's accepting free gowns from designers caused a scandal in the US. Aren't royals in the same boat? Royals, and politians' wives, are held to a higher standard than actresses.

It's true that a Danish crown princess doesn't have the same promoting power as Hollywood stars.
But I want to make it clear that celebrities from other parts of the world, who are usually famous only in their native lands, also get free gifts and loan gowns for free from the top-notch designers like Prada, Valentino or whoever.
Those usually come from the local representatives of the brands, not straight from the designers.
Well, those representatives work to promote and sell the stuffs within a country where Hollywood stars are not THE most popular.

But I agree with you on that these designers make profts majorly from a very small group of people on the top, so they may not want to gift free stuffs too often.

To come back to Mary, I agree with many of you that she dresses very well, but as a tax-receiver, she should be little more careful I think.

GlitteringTiaras 04-26-2008 02:31 AM

The Summary for the Danish Annual Report 2007 is now available. Click here to read it. Yes, there are images within the PDF in case you were wondering.

beanfoster 07-15-2008 09:29 PM

This is my first post so I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered but I was wondering where the the Danish royal family falls as far as wealth among the european monarchies?

Victoria1999 07-15-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beanfoster (Post 799520)
This is my first post so I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered but I was wondering where the the Danish royal family falls as far as wealth among the european monarchies?

I just came back from Denmark where I went to a lot of museums, castles and so on related to to the royal family (including seeing the whole family:flowers:) and I was told when I visited the royal reception rooms that the family is not rich at all. They are one of the poorest among the royal families in Europe.

Villemann 07-17-2008 08:06 AM

Aha, the royal finances! It is impossbile for the Danes to get ANY clue as to how rich or poor the Danish Royal Family is. The Danish taxpayer foots the bill, but is not allowed access to the royal accounts. Why the secrecy?

Marengo 07-17-2008 08:51 AM

Well, isn't their own fortune their own business? AFAIK the private finances are private for everybody, so also for royals.
Their dotation from the state is known I believe, and the court has an annual report. At least that is said here in my country, where parlament uses the Danish (and Norwegian) monarchy as an example for clear finances (and they push the Prime Minister to do the same here).

auntie 07-22-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane (Post 718735)
I couldn't agree more Madame Royale :smile: IMO Mary could be 'forgiven' for having roughly the same wardrobe as her fellow princesses if only she would have the decency to look like crap in it!;) Then her adversaries could focus on the numerous ways she re-uses her wardrobe and criticise her for that. Instead she looks elegant and is good at combining her wardrobe pieces in news ways - an unforgivable crime:biggrin:

As to Rania... well, judging from the pictures of her wardrobe - and combining this with the criticism such a wardrobe would trigger had it been e.g. Mette-Marit or - God forbid - Mary! - I must conclude that Rania is the queen of a country which is so rich, stable and economically well-balanced for all that it's citizens must be in a state of near-permanent bless! Otherwise some of Mary's most vocal opponents in the dress department would surely comment on Rania - wouldn't they?

I hear what you are saying, and am amused by your sense of humour. One thing that I am aware of since joining TRF is that Mary seems to attract alot of criticsm (incl my own) as she seems so unnatrual and always tries to better others. And that is why Maxima and Rania get away with it as they are not percieved by the public in the same way. It could all be rubbish, and Mary is probably a wonderful person, yet even looking at a clip of her from news yesterday, there seems to be something very fake about her manner. The only time she revealed her proper self was when she spoke about her late mother on the pre wedding documentary. Maxima, Rania, Mette Marit all have something refreshing about their manner, so they get bashed less!

Tricota 07-29-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victoria1999 (Post 799538)
I just came back from Denmark where I went to a lot of museums, castles and so on related to to the royal family (including seeing the whole family:flowers:) and I was told when I visited the royal reception rooms that the family is not rich at all. They are one of the poorest among the royal families in Europe.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the Queens personal fortune is somthing like 15 million Danish Kroner (about 2 million euros)

They dont really that much in tearms of houses or palaces, Marselisborg and Château de Cayx being the only once, and they really are not that rich in tearms of fortune.

Villemann 07-29-2008 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricota (Post 804737)
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the Queens personal fortune is somthing like 15 million Danish Kroner (about 2 million euros)

They dont really that much in tearms of houses or palaces, Marselisborg and Château de Cayx being the only once, and they really are not that rich in tearms of fortune.

Well, we don't really know, do we? I am in favour of far more transparency, when it comes to royal finances. Not to pry, but to get a fair picture of what a monarchy costs and how best to spend the money. If we had transparent royal account maybe we could also get rid of also those wealthy parasites, who pay for access to the Danish Royal Family?:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 800040)
Well, isn't their own fortune their own business? AFAIK the private finances are private for everybody, so also for royals.
Their dotation from the state is known I believe, and the court has an annual report. At least that is said here in my country, where parlament uses the Danish (and Norwegian) monarchy as an example for clear finances (and they push the Prime Minister to do the same here).

We could let their personal fortune be their own business by clearly SEPARATING their civil list annuities from ther personal expenditures, BUT as you will se in the annual report from the palace in Copenhagen, there is a post devoted to "personal expenditure." The palace is clearly not making that differentiation. I am shocked to hear that your parliament uses ours royal finances as a example to be upheld. The perception is that the Danish monarchy is SO modern. It is far from the truth. Actually our recent monarch and her family is further removed from their people than the family was a generation ago...but thats a discussion for another thread! :flowers:

Tricota 08-02-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villemann (Post 804746)
Well, we don't really know, do we? I am in favour of far more transparency, when it comes to royal finances. Not to pry, but to get a fair picture of what a monarchy costs and how best to spend the money. If we had transparent royal account maybe we could also get rid of also those wealthy parasites, who pay for access to the Danish Royal Family?:flowers:

Whatever they get from the state is already public, so I dont know what more you want. We are talking about their personal fortune, and that is private, just like it is for everyone else.

As for those who pay to get acces; it has always been that way and always will be. Without the contribution of private and corporate money, it would be much more expensive for the state. I honestly have never understud what the problem is with that. Even the royal family knows that too much of that, may leed to criticism and newspaper articles, mainly from those who both believe the cost for the state is too high, and that they should not reseve any favors from companies...

Winnie 08-02-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie (Post 801997)
I hear what you are saying, and am amused by your sense of humour. One thing that I am aware of since joining TRF is that Mary seems to attract alot of criticsm (incl my own) as she seems so unnatrual and always tries to better others. And that is why Maxima and Rania get away with it as they are not percieved by the public in the same way. It could all be rubbish, and Mary is probably a wonderful person, yet even looking at a clip of her from news yesterday, there seems to be something very fake about her manner. The only time she revealed her proper self was when she spoke about her late mother on the pre wedding documentary. Maxima, Rania, Mette Marit all have something refreshing about their manner, so they get bashed less!

I tend to disagree with you about Mary. I don't think that she is fake in her manner in any way -- in fact I can sympathize with her nature as held that same "quietness" in public when I was young. It was not false; just not flamboyant and attention seeking. Didn't need it. Clothes and looks did it quietly and got the same results without ourwardly trying. It is her personality and nature (quite different from her M-I-L in looks and dress) so I think she is just going to be fine. She is still feeling her way in a strange country, remember. I am living in a different section of the USA from my origions and still can't adapt to all their odd customs here! I hope that she doesn't change just because others find her too "quiet and reserved" for their taste. Believe me, in the long run, her decorum will shine through -- just like the class that Queen Elizabeth II did when she was young and people thought she should "loosen up a bit like Margaret" -- how wrong they all were!

kelly9480 04-18-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricota (Post 804737)

I think you're recalling the TIME Europe 2002 article about the individual wealth of reigning royal houses. The magazine assigned a worth of $15 million USD, which the Danish royal court said was "too high" without giving a figure. But the magazine was talking in USD, not Kroner, which would make the Danes impoverished by comparision.

Tarlita 04-20-2010 05:28 PM

The Copenhagen Post reported in 2007 that the Queen receives 67 million Kroner for herself and staff etc. Prince Henrik gets 7 million Kroner, Frederik gets 16 million for staff etc, and Mary gets 2 million kroner. Lets not forget Mary has to build up a working wardrobe and the palace receives a lot of free stuff for her such as handbags, shoes etc. Copenhagen Post also says if she were a brand then Mary generates 12 billion kroner for the country, in tourism, magazine sales, fashion etc.
As for worth - the pic accompanying QEII's jubilee with other Queens and Kings includes their private worth. It is called Richest Royals of 2004.
Queen Margrethe 15 million euro's.
Queen Beatrix 400 million euro's (largest shareholder of Royal Dutch Shell)
Queen Elizabeth 4 millarden euro's (which I assume is billion. owns Rio Tinto etc.)
Henri of Luxumbourg 5 millarden euro's ( income probably from banking)
King Juan Carlos 10 million euro's
King Carl Gustaf 25 million euro's
King Albert Belgium 20 million euro's
King Harald 150 million euro's (owns part share of North Sea Petroleum)
These amounts can only be conservative estimates. For instance Queen Elizabeth's collection of art which she owns is valued at 7 billion pounds.
But the Danes and Mary have no reason to worry about overspending as Mary's and the Queen's biggest supporter is billionaire Maersk McKinny Moller. He will always be ready to bail out the monarchy. But I see the Danish monarchy as being very conservative and careful with their spending.
If I were in Denmark and the Crown Prss were to attend something and I was in the crowd, I would feel very excited to see her wearing something different and lovely. If she turned up wearing something I had seen 3 times before I might be a little disappointed.:sad: But hey thats just me.:flowers:

Lumutqueen 04-21-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarlita (Post 1071420)
The Copenhagen Post reported in 2007 that the Queen receives 67 million Kroner for herself and staff etc. Prince Henrik gets 7 million Kroner, Frederik gets 16 million for staff etc, and Mary gets 2 million kroner. Lets not forget Mary has to build up a working wardrobe and the palace receives a lot of free stuff for her such as handbags, shoes etc. Copenhagen Post also says if she were a brand then Mary generates 12 billion kroner for the country, in tourism, magazine sales, fashion etc.
As for worth - the pic accompanying QEII's jubilee with other Queens and Kings includes their private worth. It is called Richest Royals of 2004.
Queen Margrethe 15 million euro's.
Queen Beatrix 400 million euro's (largest shareholder of Royal Dutch Shell)
Queen Elizabeth 4 millarden euro's (which I assume is billion. owns Rio Tinto etc.)
Henri of Luxumbourg 5 millarden euro's ( income probably from banking)
King Juan Carlos 10 million euro's
King Carl Gustaf 25 million euro's
King Albert Belgium 20 million euro's
King Harald 150 million euro's (owns part share of North Sea Petroleum)
These amounts can only be conservative estimates. For instance Queen Elizabeth's collection of art which she owns is valued at 7 billion pounds.
But the Danes and Mary have no reason to worry about overspending as Mary's and the Queen's biggest supporter is billionaire Maersk McKinny Moller. He will always be ready to bail out the monarchy. But I see the Danish monarchy as being very conservative and careful with their spending.
If I were in Denmark and the Crown Prss were to attend something and I was in the crowd, I would feel very excited to see her wearing something different and lovely. If she turned up wearing something I had seen 3 times before I might be a little disappointed.:sad: But hey thats just me.:flowers:

QEII owns Rio Tinto, I have never heard of that before.

As for European Royal wealth atm it stands as.

6. Hans Adam of Liechenstein = $3.5 Billion which is €2,613,148,469
9. Albert 11 of Monaco = $1.0 Billion which is €746,698,049
12. Queen Elizabeth II = $450 Million which is €335,918,361
14. Queen Beatrix = $200 Million which is €149,249,180

Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Sweden, Spain nor Luxembourg even make the top 15. :ermm:

But if Mary/Marie/Margrethe wore new gowns to every single event, yes we'd be happy, seeing a new gown every week. But they'd be criticised for over spending on clothes.

Margrethe = $10 Million which is €7,462,459
Carl-Gustav = $9 Million which is €6,716,213

Muhler 04-21-2010 09:48 AM

There has been some debate about how much the DRF cost annually here in DK. Not least the republicans are eager to discuss that.

And you can see their point until you break it down.
If you look at the money they recieve from the state it amounts to around 100 million DKK. (I've included Joachim).

If you add expences for transport, security, lifeguard, royal yacht, maintanaince of palaces and so on, the highest total estimate I've seen so far reach around 250 million DKK.
A lot of money - but, The Royal Lifeguard Regiment: The conscripts needs military training anyway and guard duty and drill is a part of that. And add to that, that the guard duty is genuine military guard duty. The soldiers are issued live rounds and are under order to use force if need be. Indeed thay have fired warning shots beforehand. The alternative would be to have police officers or hired security guards instead - and that's not cheap!
The royal yacht: An X number of conscripts do service on a ship every year. The alternative to Dannebrog would be a warship, which would just as expensive. Especially as you can hardly send a ship with a large consignment of conscripts out on a mission, hunting say pirates.
Transport, in this case with the Airforce helicopters and light transport planes: Well, the government ministers and high ranking officers use them as well and the crews needs an X number of hours in the air anyway, so they might just as well transport members of the DRF, while they are up there. - Rescue missions still have priority.
Palaces: They are often protected property and all, except Marselisborg, are owned by the state, so they would need maintanaince anyway.

Anyway, if you divide 250 million DKK, with roughly 5 million taxpayers, (I have exempted roughly 400.000 or so, who do not pay taxes), you get about 50 DKK for each taxpayer a year.
To put that into perspective: 50 DKK is what a pizza costs, or 0.5 L beer at a fairly expensive restaurant, or two 0.5 L beers at a local inn, or 4.5 L of gas/petrol.

That's not particularly expensive in my world. I think I can do without a pizza a year, or two for that matter. :tongue:

I have no idea how big a private fortune the DRF has. I understand that they are fairly poor compared to other European royals.
I might add that King Carl Gustav lost a lot of money in the connection with the financial crisis.
I understand that Joachim is pretty well off and that he has a bigger fortune than Frederik. (Joachim appear to be a competent businessman). I cannot verify that for sure though.

Tarlita 07-13-2010 06:51 PM

Mary finances

It appears that Mary and Fred received a lot of money as wedding gifts. And over the years they have put this money to use in things such as starting up the Mary Foundation. They haven't used this money for themselves in a personal way. Would it not be too difficult then to assume that someone put some money into a couture house as a credit for Mary to draw on to buy her wardrobe. Obviously she pays for Prada etc but I think a lot of her daywear are given to her as free publicity from Danish Designers. Especially on overseas tours as so many get to see what she is wearing. Of course I could be completely wrong. But then I believe the magazines are completely wrong too, as they tend to pluck a figure out of nowhere.:smile:

muriel 07-16-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarlita (Post 1071420)

Where did you get the information about HM owning Rio Tinto?

Lumutqueen 07-16-2010 11:58 AM

I can find no evidence that she does.

Tarlita 07-18-2010 06:01 AM

The Queen and Rio Tinto

I could post the entire American Almanac article of 25 august 1997. But this thread is not about British royals and the moderators would probably delete it. It is common knowledge in Australia that QEII owns 52 % of Rio. Ask any stockbroker.

Muhler 12-14-2010 07:01 AM

This is most interesting!

We have the official expences for having a monarchy in Denmark in 2009. As presented by the Prime Minister, Lars Løkke.

The official report will be published later today.

Så mange millioner koster kongehuset os om året - Politik - BT.dk

The total expences amounts to 342 million DKK.
Of that the apanage, to run the royal household and cover salaries for staff and other expenses amounts to 97.6 million DKK.
Other expenses covered by the various ministries amounts to 244.6 million DKK.
- That covers protection, royal yacht and crew, guard, transport, maintanaince of the palaces and so and so.

342 million DKK is roughly 45 million €, roughly 62 million US $ or roughly 38 million £.

With 5.4 million citizens in Denmark, that amounts to 63 DKK for every citizen. Which you can't even get a familiy pizza for. Instead you can buy six litres of gas for that amount.

Madame Royale 12-14-2010 07:04 AM

Talk about value for money! Thank you Muhler. I always find the annual expenditure report most interesting.

nwinther 12-14-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1175011)
Instead you can buy six litres of gas for that amount.

Not meaning to derail the topic - but where are you buying your gas, Muhler? 6 litres for dkk. 63,- - what a bargain!

Muhler 12-14-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwinther (Post 1175022)
Not meaning to derail the topic - but where are you buying your gas, Muhler? 6 litres for dkk. 63,- - what a bargain!

At a station on the way to work. They often dump their prizes. And as I usually drive past very early or very late I avoid the queue as well. :smile:
There are sometimes advantages in living in a village. :tongue:
So I'd say on average I pay a little less than 10.50 per litre.

Let me return to the expenses for the DRF in 2009.

This was the first time a thorough official analasys has been made. You can see it here: https://multimedia.jp.dk/archive/0026...er_262211a.pdf pdf file and in Danish.

Expences for the Royal Life Guard standing guard and ceremonial: 98.2 million DKK.
The Guards Hussars, ceremonial: 43.2 million DKK.
Maintaining the palaces and gardens: 45.5 million DKK.

There are also a number of other interesting details in this report: Like 1.260 people met QMII or the Regent at seventeen public audiences.

There are 135 employees attached to the court. (Presumably all of them paid for by the DRF).

Expenses per ministry:

The PM's office (Statsministeriet): 285.000 DKK.

The Foreign Ministry: 14.000.000. (Primarily to cover expenses on connection with travels).

The Treasury: 45.505.000 DKK. (Mainly to cover maintnaince of property).

The Ministry of Defence: 183.706.000 DKK.
Transport: 2.169.000 DKK.
Dannebrog, the royal yacht: 33.733.000 DKK.
Adjutants: 5.387.000 DKK.
The Royal Lifeguards, including music corps and ceremonial: 98.266.000 DKK.
The Guards Hussars, ceremonial: 43.191.000 DKK.

Ministry of Interior and Health: 250.000 DKK. (For services for the DRF travelling in DK).

Ministry of Church (for the royal Confessionarius): 102.000 DKK.

Ministry of Environment, for services in connection with royal hunts: 444.000 DKK.

Minstry of Transport: 305.000.

The Ministry of Justice, under which PET belongs, has not been mentioned in this report.

nwinther 12-14-2010 08:31 AM

Just read the official report.

Interesting read (if you read Danish). I'm surprised how little the monarchy is running us. I once saw an estimate by some professional in the international tourism industry (IIRC) on how much the monarchy was worth (i.e. how much money they generate).

Sadly, I don't recall his estimate. It would be fun, though, to make the comparison.

I heard on the radio, how much the French presidency was running France, and (as I understood it) in direct costs it was 1 billion euro.

That's 22 times as much as the DRF.

Even if it was the TOTAL cost, and the cost was to be comparable, citizen for citizen, France should have a population of 119 million. Almost twice its actual population.

And how much (positive) branding is Sarkozy generating for France?

Muhler 12-16-2010 04:57 AM

One of the more interesting reactions to this report was from Ole Sohn, MP for the Socialists Peoples Party.

He went on the news last night and said he didn't see any problems with the expenses in regards to the royal hunts (which probably went against what the journalist hoped for) as it is common sense to have forresters around for safety reasons at a hunt where a considerable number of people take part.
He added that even though he is republican, he believe the DRF are doing a fine job.

Now, as Ole Sohn (incidentally ex-leader of the Communist Party) very likely is going to become the finance minister after the next general election, he does know what he is talking about, when it's about finances.
Ole Sohn is among the few politicians I respect, (even though I wouldn't dream about voting for his party) because he is a pragmatic.

A little background note: In Denmark politics may not be what it looks like.
The Socialists Peoples Party is classified as a left-wing party, but in many ways it's politically to the right of the Social Democrats, which is classified as a center-left party.
To make matters even more complicated: The Socialists Peoples Party compete with the Danish Peoples Party, which is classified as an extreme right-wing party, for a considerable segment of the voters.

jemagre 12-20-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1176186)
One of the more interesting reactions to this report was from Ole Sohn, MP for the Socialists Peoples Party.

He went on the news last night and said he didn't see any problems with the expenses in regards to the royal hunts (which probably went against what the journalist hoped for) as it is common sense to have forresters around for safety reasons at a hunt where a considerable number of people take part.
He added that even though he is republican, he believe the DRF are doing a fine job.

Now, as Ole Sohn (incidentally ex-leader of the Communist Party) very likely is going to become the finance minister after the next general election, he does know what he is talking about, when it's about finances.
Ole Sohn is among the few politicians I respect, (even though I wouldn't dream about voting for his party) because he is a pragmatic.

A little background note: In Denmark politics may not be what it looks like.
The Socialists Peoples Party is classified as a left-wing party, but in many ways it's politically to the right of the Social Democrats, which is classified as a center-left party.
To make matters even more complicated: The Socialists Peoples Party compete with the Danish Peoples Party, which is classified as an extreme right-wing party, for a considerable segment of the voters.

Thanks for the background on the political parties. Anyone know if Frederick and Mary stayed within their budget? I know they have had some problems in the past.

Sternchen 12-20-2010 02:59 PM

I think the report will only be made public next year. Last year, they were definetly on budget :smile: And the report that Muhler translated here, was about the 2009 expenses, too :smile:

Muhler 12-20-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemagre (Post 1178493)
Thanks for the background on the political parties. Anyone know if Frederick and Mary stayed within their budget? I know they have had some problems in the past.

That's correct. They had to cut down on the number of staff and introduce some additional savings.

It's hardly a novel situation for a new business, which is expanding rapidly, as M&F's court was.
When they married Frederik's apanage was raised considerably and he or rather they had to establish a seperate court within the DRF, with their own administration, personal staff and to some extent personal advisors.
While at the same time also establishing a home in Kancellihuset.

Okay, they found out that they had expanded their staff beynd their budget and cutbacks were needed.
Most of these staff members found jobs elsewhere within the public sector, because public employees have a jobbank, where they have priority.

Now they seem to have reached a balance in regards to expenses.

That is something other newly formed companies learn the hard way. Because the DRF can very much be compared to a company.

The president is QMII, her executive is the Chief of Court, and Prince Henrik is the formal vice-president.
QMII is in charge of the whole company.

In addition to that she has two managers, Frederik and Joachim, who each run their little branch of the family business. Their assistant managers are Mary and Marie. The executive of Frederik's little part of the firm is their chief of court.

The company also has a representative, Benedikte.

The board is the Parliament and the shareholders are the Danish taxpayers.

chelly 12-20-2010 05:15 PM

Ten percent is not a whole lot, I wonder how much of it goes to her personal staff?

Susan D 12-20-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

As far as I can tell, Rania borrows her clothes and Noor did the same thing.

Madame Royale 12-20-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

That's interesting. Is there a source which would suggest the possibilty that her wardrobe is borrowed that you may know of? If not that's fine, I'm just curious to know if there's anything you may have come across which would support your observation :smile:

Gaia 12-21-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 1178687)
That's interesting. Is there a source which would suggest the possibilty that her wardrobe is borrowed that you may know of? If not that's fine, I'm just curious to know if there's anything you may have come across which would support your observation :smile:

I would like to know that too, since I have only seen posts railing against Rania for having gold shoes made. How lovely it would be to counter with an article that proves that she too is budget conscious.

I like that the Danish are transparent with their budget, apparently other houses are not so transparent.

Cinderella5x 12-23-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan D (Post 1178633)

Where are you getting all you information from, regarding borrowing of clothes by Royal ladies?

Wayne 12-28-2010 02:51 AM

Jordan not so rich

Quote:

I don't think that Jordan is that rich of a nation, it doesn't have vast oil or natural gas reserves when compared to it's neighbours. I suspect that the royal family is independently wealthy and thus allowing for Rania's huge expenditure on clothing. She seems to be the new Diana in terms of her impact on fashion.

justcurious 01-11-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie (Post 801997)

I respect your opinion and taken on board.

And I completely disagree with you. The reason Mary attracts alot of attention that the other CP do not is because she has set a high standard for herself. She is doing a brilliant job from what most Danes have been saying and she does it with style and IMO a dignified manner. That might come off as snobby to some.
Her spending is criticised alot because she looks amazing in them. Most people jump to the conclusion she spends alot because she always looks darn good but that is the strength of the woman that wears the clothes. She knows what she looks good in and what is flattering on her. It seems to me that the other CPs spend alot more (based on the numbers here) on themselves than Mary but still can't grab the same attention for their fashion style like she does. It is not a matter of trying to 'better' others but doing herself and her country justice by doing her absolute best to look her absolute best. Maybe you should be asking why aren't the others stepping up their game?
She is also a patron of the Fashion Industry of Denmark so there is even more reason for her to look the part. Being a patron of such an industry would give her the perks of picking from the best designer outfits the country has to offer so maybe there is an advantage to that.

dbarn67 01-11-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne (Post 1181717)
I don't think that Jordan is that rich of a nation, it doesn't have vast oil or natural gas reserves when compared to it's neighbours. I suspect that the royal family is independently wealthy and thus allowing for Rania's huge expenditure on clothing. She seems to be the new Diana in terms of her impact on fashion.

Actually Jordan is a rather poor country.

Muhler 03-16-2011 10:32 AM

Translation of article in Ekstra Bladet, Wednesday 16th March 2011.
Mary og Frede i indkøbs-rus – Mary and Frede in shopping frenzy.
Written by: Jan Körner. (Yeees, that kind of says it all…).
Ekstra Bladet - Mary og Frede i indkbs-rus

The year after Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary sacked five employees, due to excess consumption; the pair has once again gone amok in a major frenzy of shopping. (1)
Compared to 2009 their consumption went up with more than 100 % during 2010, according to documents which are publicly available in which Ekstra Bladet has had access to, about the refunding of vat, (2) by various members of the DRF.
In 2009 the CP coupled spend a little more than five million DKK, while the spending in 2010 exploded and ended up at a little more that 11.3 million DKK.

In reality Frede and Mary got away with paying 9.1 million DKK for their purchased goods, because they got the vat of a little more than 2.2 million DKK back in refund. (3)

When the couple sacked five employees in the beginning of 2009 it was after all with a declaration of intending to cut down on the excess spending. (4)

“The terminations have been made for economical reasons in order to adapt the resources for present and future needs”. Is what the DRF communication chief, Lene Balleby said back then. (5)

2009 only generated a surplus for 22.178 DKK, (6) that’s in stark contrast to the 500.000 DKK they used additionally every month of 2010.

According the DRF chief of economy, Søren Kruse, the explanation for the extravagant spending is that the couple has moved in at their newly renovated palais.
“It’s obvious that things needs to be bought, when you move into a new palais. It was after all a naked palais. So the refunding of vat is dependant of the consuming of goods”, says the (economic) chief of court to Ekstra Bladet.

The amount of 11.3 million DKK is only related to goods on which there is vat, and not salaries for the employees.

That means that the CP-couple’s economy must be close to bursting after the hefty shopping sprees. (7)
In 2009 they had expenses for salary for 10.4 million DKK, expenses running costs amounted to a little less than 2.5 million DKK, while expenses for property amounted to 869.576 DKK.
The comparative expenses constituted in 2010 22.8 million DKK, including expenses for goods at 9.1 million DKK.
The apanage however “only” constituted 18.5 million DKK, which amount to a deficit for 4.3 million DKK.
According to the latest account from Amalienborg Frede do not possess such means and he has probably had to borrow from his mother.

In 2009 Frede and Mary had short-term mortgages for a little more than 3.5 million DKK.

(1) Meaning general purchasing, not just shopping.

(2) Vat in DK constitutes 25%.

(3) The DRF do not pay vat. In reality they pay full price initially, save their receipts and get a refund from the state.

(4) The declaration of intent, is pretty freely interpreted by Ekstra Bladet, so is the expression: “Excess spending”.

(5) Like so many newly founded companies, (which is basically what the CP-court is from an economical viewpoint) and dare I say families as well, M&F probably found out that they had expanded too rapidly and had to cut costs.

(6) Which is a wise move by a company depending on allocated funds. – You don’t have too big a surplus, or you’ll have problems getting a raise in your funding.
You’ll see something similar in other public sectors, which find out they have a surplus towards the end of the year.

(7) Speculation. We don’t know the private economy of M&F. This is just the turnover of their “company”. – And all companies invest from time to time.

Okay, this in one of Ekstra Bladet’s favorite themes and you need to read the text and the figures very carefully, because figures can so easily be manipulated.

Apanage/income in 2010: 18.5 million DKK.

Expenses for salaries: 10.4 million DKK.
Running costs. I.e. uniforms, food for the staff, transport and so on: 2.5 million DKK.
Expenses in connection with their property. Kancellihuset and towards the end of 2010, also their palais at Amalienborg. I.e. water, heating, electricity, garbage disposal and so on: 869.000 DKK.

Then we have purchasing of good, of all kinds, which are vat-refundable: 9.1 million DKK minus vat.
That covers their personal expenses, presents, private and official, furniture for themselves in their new home, but also furnishing for their staff, wardrobes, towels, desks, chairs, cooking utensils, eating accommodation and so on. A myriad of things!
Not to mention furnishing the “official” parts of their new home, as well as their private apartment.
Then we have “work-clothes”, in the shape of suits and dresses.

Whether they overspend personally is not for me to decide, I can only say that they had plenty of additional expenses last year as well as this year.

camelot23ca 03-17-2011 03:55 PM

This reminds me of a friend of a friend, who bought a ticket for a hundred dollars for charity, the prize being a beautiful new house. This acquaintance actually won the thing and after the initial excitement wound up selling it quickly. He couldn't afford to live in it with the taxes, heating, upkeep, etc.

I don't pity M and F, (in the end they're wealthy people and the amount of money they receive is only going to grow), but they've been in a tough situation in that they were expected to establish a household befitting the crown princely couple immediately after they got married, in addition to setting up their old home. Then only a couple of years later they were handed a lovely, but empty, palace, with all the accompanying increases in costs. None of this is cheap and I don't see many ways that they can cut costs.

Viv 03-22-2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camelot23ca (Post 1217438)
I don't pity M and F, (in the end they're wealthy people and the amount of money they receive is only going to grow), but they've been in a tough situation in that they were expected to establish a household befitting the crown princely couple immediately after they got married, in addition to setting up their old home. Then only a couple of years later they were handed a lovely, but empty, palace, with all the accompanying increases in costs. None of this is cheap and I don't see many ways that they can cut costs.

The question is how wealthy they actually are! I mean they ( well, Frederik) are not exactly paupers and they've probably saved a little for a rainy day. However the Danish RF is not known for their private assests, and I doubt that there is much left of the annual civil list money for the piggy bank!
Queen Ingrid allegedly inherited of the Swedish RF fortune and allegedly invested wisely, but these are just rumours, and even if they weren't, she had to help out her youngest daugther setting up home in exile- allegedly! - before anything could be bequeathed to her elder daugthers.

TRH are sometimes critizised for hanging out with wealthy friends willing to pick up the bill. If this is the case, they're not the only royals to do so, and I for one don't mind as long as nothing improper is going on:smile:. But as we have seen in another monarchy lately: the royals really need to watch their step and to scrutinize their friends!

Viv

Sternchen 04-28-2011 01:18 PM

Here is the official report about their finances in 2010 :smile:

https://download.tdconline.dk/pub/kon...huset_2010.pdf

NotHRH 06-19-2011 05:00 AM

The DRF 'not very wealthy?'

I have recently read an article about HM the (late) Queen Alexandra of England, who was born HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark in 1844 (She passed away 1925).
The article did state that DRF was not wealthy in that era; she and her sister, HRH Princess Dagmar of Denmark, had to sew and assemble the clothes they wore, while still princesses of Denmark.
I have read also that HM the (late) King Frederik IX knew 'how to handle a vacuum cleaner.' The same article also suggested that the DRF was not wealthy at that time and nor are they considered wealthy to this day. I hope someone can elaborate to help explain the term 'not very wealthy' and how accurate is that term to refer to the DRF? What bases are used to come to that conclusion? Is the DRF considered not wealthy only when compared to other royal houses?
The fact that HM Queen Alexandra had inherited 'otosclerosis' from her mother was also pointed out. Has any other royal who is descended from Alexandra or from
her mother ever been diagnosed with the same condition? Or has this inherited condition 'died out' in Europe's royal houses, such as seems the case with the genetic condition haemophilia in HM the (late) Queen Victoria's descendants? Anybody know the 'inside scoop?' Or, not?

Muhler 06-19-2011 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotHRH (Post 1269840)
I have recently read an article about HM the (late) Queen Alexandra of England, who was born HRH Princess Alexandra of Denmark in 1844 (She passed away 1925).
The article did state that DRF was not wealthy in that era; she and her sister, HRH Princess Dagmar of Denmark, had to sew and assemble the clothes they wore, while still princesses of Denmark.
I have read also that HM the (late) King Frederik IX knew 'how to handle a vacuum cleaner.' The same article also suggested that the DRF was not wealthy at that time and nor are they considered wealthy to this day. I hope someone can elaborate to help explain the term 'not very wealthy' and how accurate is that term to refer to the DRF? What bases are used to come to that conclusion? Is the DRF considered not wealthy only when compared to other royal houses?
The fact that HM Queen Alexandra had inherited 'otosclerosis' from her mother was also pointed out. Has any other royal who is descended from Alexandra or from
her mother ever been diagnosed with the same condition? Or has this inherited condition 'died out' in Europe's royal houses, such as seems the case with the genetic condition haemophilia in HM the (late) Queen Victoria's descendants? Anybody know the 'inside scoop?' Or, not?

I'd say not wealthy compared to other royal families.
Compared to other Danes a qualified estimate would make them millionaires but not particularly rich.
If they weren't royals I believe QMII and PH could live from the interests of their fortune, but it would be a fairly modest though comfortable life.
M&F would have to work to maintain a living standard comparable to how they live today. Except for the palaces and luxury cars of course. Something akin to the living standard of Joachim and our Marie. I.e. modest millionaires.

It's true Queen Alexandra lived a very modest life when she was a child. They were probably not wanting but their living standard wouldn't have differed much from a middle class family of the period.
That they made their own clothing can be misleading. They probably did to save money, but such skills were actually considered essential and certainly beneficial for women. Not to mention that it kept them occupied. Middleclass women of that period didn't go out and got a job, unless they were in need or were a bit rebellious.

As for Frederik IX wielding a vacuum cleaner. Well, don't put too much into that. It's more likely that he enjoyed doing some practical work from time to time. Especially on holiday where there was little in any cleaning staff around.
Apart from that the DRF also had to cut down on costs and luxury items during WWII and from that period they would have been used to a more modest living.
And it wouldn't have been something completely novel for Frederik IX. He would have been used to (and perhaps even enjoyed) doing a good deal of work himself in the navy as a young cadet.

As for ostosclerosis: I haven't heard anything about that in the DRF.
However it seems to be very obvious that Queen Ingrid suffered from osteoporosis. And that condition can be heriditary, especially from mother to daughter. In DK that used to be known as: Engelsk syge = English illness.

grevinnan 06-19-2011 09:29 AM

I believe Engelsk syge refers to what is called Rickets, a debilitating condition resulting from vitamin D deficiency. Queen Ingrid was reported to have osteoporosis which is a different condition.

Muhler 06-19-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grevinnan (Post 1269895)
I believe Engelsk syge refers to what is called Rickets, a debilitating condition resulting from vitamin D deficiency. Queen Ingrid was reported to have osteoporosis which is a different condition.

Thank you, Grevinnan :flowers:
I learned something new today.

NotHRH 06-19-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler

I'd say not wealthy compared to other royal families.
Compared to other Danes a qualified estimate would make them millionaires but not particularly rich.
If they weren't royals I believe QMII and PH could live from the interests of their fortune, but it would be a fairly modest though comfortable life.
M&F would have to work to maintain a living standard comparable to how they live today. Except for the palaces and luxury cars of course. Something akin to the living standard of Joachim and our Marie. I.e. modest millionaires.

It's true Queen Alexandra lived a very modest life when she was a child. They were probably not wanting but their living standard wouldn't have differed much from a middle class family of the period.
That they made their own clothing can be misleading. They probably did to save money, but such skills were actually considered essential and certainly beneficial for women. Not to mention that it kept them occupied. Middleclass women of that period didn't go out and got a job, unless they were in need or were a bit rebellious.

As for Frederik IX wielding a vacuum cleaner. Well, don't put too much into that. It's more likely that he enjoyed doing some practical work from time to time. Especially on holiday where there was little in any cleaning staff around.
Apart from that the DRF also had to cut down on costs and luxury items during WWII and from that period they would have been used to a more modest living.
And it wouldn't have been something completely novel for Frederik IX. He would have been used to (and perhaps even enjoyed) doing a good deal of work himself in the navy as a young cadet.

As for ostosclerosis: I haven't heard anything about that in the DRF.
However it seems to be very obvious that Queen Ingrid suffered from osteoporosis. And that condition can be heriditary, especially from mother to daughter. In DK that used to be known as: Engelsk syge = English illness.

Queen Alexandra lost her sense of hearing as she aged. She had 'otosclerosis,' which inherited from her mother.
'Otosclerosis' is prefix => 'oto' = ear(s), eardrum(s);
root word => 'scler/o = hardening (of);
suffix => 'osis, oses' = condition(s) of (having)
I am used of dealing with medical terms on a daily basis. I do understand that medical terms that seem similar are not necessarily similar. 'Otosclerosis' is the hardening of the eardrums as one ages. I read that the once PssOW, HMQA, was profoundly deaf even before her m-i-l, HMQV, passed away in 1901.
Any known descendants of HMQA or her mother ever diagnosed with the condition? I would think it to be peculiar, not impossible, that no descendants have ever been diagnosed with otosclerosis since Alexandra. Anyone have info regarding this?

JessRulz 06-19-2011 08:54 PM

Further posts regarding Queen Alexandra's health should be posted in the https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...25-a-1513.html thread - this thread is for the finances of the Danish Royal Family.

Thank you.

Muhler 08-24-2011 01:48 PM

A couple of articles: En million kroner mere til de kongelige - De Kongelige

The government has granted the DRF a pay rise.
Apart from that the the DRF apanage is regulated twice a year so that it follows the comparative rise in salary among state employees.
QMII will be granted 700.000 DKK more next year. Of these 100.000 will go to Prince Henrik.
As QMII will celebrate her 40th jubilee in 2012, the expences will of course be higher than usual.

Frederik will get 200.000 DKK more next year, of which a certain percentage will go to Mary. (Roughly 10 %).

Joachim will recieve 100.000 DKK more. He can probably use them....:tongue:

Everybody else will not get a payrise..

However a few weeks ago, a survey was published in which people had been asked whether they think the DRF is too expensive.
Hver tredje dansker: Kongehuset er for dyrt - Royale - BT.dk
The combined costs for the DRF, everything included, except PET protection, has officially been calculated to 342.2 million DKK.
34 % belive the DRF is too expensive.
47 % find it appropriate.
2 % believe it's not enough
and the rest must be undecided.

In fact I'm surprised it's only 34 % who think it's too much.
Because this is the kind of surveys where you with guarantee can be certain to get a high percentage of negative replies.
It's like asking: Do you think the politicians spend too much money?
No matter what, you can be sure a lot of people will tick the "yes-box".

Fürstin Taxis 08-24-2011 02:42 PM

The price-perfomance ratio leaves much to be desired. :tongue:

Muhler 04-30-2012 02:02 PM

Sådan bruger kongehuset dine penge - Royale | www.bt.dk

A very interesting and very detailed break down of the DRF economy and running costs.
It deserves a full translation, unfortunately I simply haven't got time for at least a couple of days to do that, so if anyone should be up for the challenge....:smile:

Muhler 06-25-2012 04:24 PM

This is a full translation of an article in BT 30. April 2012. See above :previous:

(As with all such articles it’s important to look at the DRF as a firm).

Twin birth, the IOC membership and visits to Bahrain, Russia, Ukraine, Australia, Vietnam, Rwanda, USA, Japan, Greenland and Mozambique – and on incoming state visit from South Korea – has been expensive for the DRF in 2011.
That’s what the annual account from 2011, which has just been published by the court, shows.

All in all the DRF have had incomes of more that 77.342.986 DKK (1) and that’s an improvement of a couple of thousands more than in 2010. The expenses on the other hand have over that one year risen with four million DKK to 77.062.606 DKK.
With financial incomes added, the surplus from 2011 only approach one million DKK – 975.455 DKK – and that’s over a million and a half less than the last account. (2)
The surplus is transferred to the equity, which is now a money-tank of almost 20 million DKK – to be exact 19.997.623 DKK.

The money has among other things been spend on IT, machinery, maintenance of buildings and ”bigger events” as it is called in the account. The DRF have among other things got a new homepage, the Yellow Mansion (3) has been modernized and the kitchen at Gråsten is due for a thorough renovation.
And then the court has bought an electric car and exchanged some of the cars with energy saving vehicles. Apart from that there has been a need for hiring an extern course/education-manager for a number of courses for court officials, where acknowledgement, communication and team thinking was emphasized.

Here is the apanage for the individual DRF members:

Queen Margrethe:
Received 75.291.549 DKK in apanage (4) and as such rose with 1.6 million DKK compared to last year. She received along with Prince Henrik and Princess Benedikte 6.4 million in vat-refund, (5) because the royals are exempt from paying vat. The ”household” of the Queen had altogether a surplus of 975.499 DKK.

Princess Benedikte:
Receives according to law 1.5 % of the apanage to the Queen, which amounts to 1.129.375 DKK.

The Prince Consort:
Does not figure individually in the accounts but he receives money from his wife, which determined by the law amounts to ten percent of the apanage to the Queen. 7.529.155 DKK went to him.

Crown Prince Frederik:
Received 18.523.746 DKK in apanage and such he rose 400.000 DKK compared to 2010. The expenses from him – and his wife – amounts to 18.476.737 DKK. The money have among other things been used to purchasing furniture and furnishing the mansion. He received 2.4 million in vat-refund. The ”household” of the Crown Prince altogether creates a surplus of 66.306 DKK.

Crown Princess Mary:
Get a salary from her husband of 10 % of the apanage. She received 1.843.275 DKK.

Prince Joachim:
Received an apanage of 3.275.690 DKK. Apart from that he received 396.429 DKK as vat-refund. There is however a requirement regarding the ”salary” to his wife, Princess Marie. (6) This is for the couple to agree on among themselves. Joachim did however get a raise in the apanage of 800.000 DKK when he married Marie in 2008.

In the accounts is also the so-called frame-amount, which is money for clothing, furnishing, counseling, secretaries and other items that are ”non official”. Here the CP couple spend 3.7 million DKK, while the Regent Couple spend 9.8 million DKK. But then they had look after the running and maintenance of Marselisborg Manor, the hunting lodge in Trend and Chateau de Cayx and Gråsten Manor.

(1) Roughly 13 million $ or 10 million €.

(2) In a family run business, which is basically what the DRF is, any surplus is good. Remember that expenses also include salary for the managers i.e. the members of the DRF.

(3) The DRF administration. Located next to Amalienborg.

(4) Actually ”state-benefit”, but let’s keep it simple and call it apanage.

(5) Vat in DK constitutes 25 %. That amount is refundable for the DRF, as they don’t pay vat.

(6) This must be a typo. I believe what is meant is that there is NO requirement for a specific salary for our Marie.

Muhler 06-26-2012 04:22 AM

Follow up on the article above :previous:

The key figures as I see it are the vat-refunds and the frame account.

Most of the expences go to salaries for the staff, who are state-employees. I.e. akin to civil servants, just paid by the court.

Most other expences are vat-refundable. I.e. heating, water, furnitures, petrol, food for themselves, guests and staff and so on, and so on....
That means we take the figure that are vat-refundable and multiply with four.
In that figure is also a considerable part of their private consumption.

However a number of necessities like food and phonecalls, are no doubt covered by "the firm". - Show me a family owned business that doesn't cover such expences in a similar manner and I'll show you a business in serious need of a financial advisor.
The same thing about furnishing the official parts of the mansions. They do after all live in the whole building and not just in their private apartments.

So from that we can see that QMII, PH and Benedikte purchased for 25.6 million DKK in goods and services. - For the company.

M&F purchased goods and services for 9.6 million DKK.

While Joachim and our Marie purchased for 1.6 million DKK.

Then there is the frame account, which is as I interpret it the private expenses paid from their own "salary". With that they pay for private travels, clothing, furnitures in the private apartments and privately employed staff, like nannies and private secretaries and so on.

From that we learn that the Regent Couple had "private" expenses of 9.8 miilion DKK, which includes maintaining the privately owned homes of Marselisborg, Cayx and Trend.
So their "salary" must be a higher than that. How much is anyone's guess.

M&F had "private" expenses for 3.7 million DKK. They are establishing a home, which means that they buy many things for the first time, just like other young families. Not to mention that they have an active social life with many friends. (Not all birthday presents can be charged to the business account). To that we should also add two nannies and at least one private secretary, Caroline Heering, plus salary (we may assume) to Søren Heedegaard when he accompany Mary on travels.
And my guess is that they at present don't have much of a surplus. So a cautious guess is that M&F's salary amounts to 4 million DKK in total. Roughly 538.000 € or 673.000 $. - Which is a fairly modest salary considering their status. Many board members and bank managers here in DK have a higer salary without feeling the least bit ashamed.

ADDED: To the DRF salary should be added the vat-refunds and other perks and discounts and that they don't pay income tax. So relatively speaking the salary I have estimated here should be increased by 50-75 %.
ADDED AGAIN: I start to confuse myself now! It's that roundabout way of thinking. Okay, if the DRF were normal people, they would earn roughly 50-75 % more.

Does this make sense? Or do you think I need a course in how to interpret accounts?

Madame Royale 06-26-2012 07:19 AM

Makes sense to me, Muhler.

Mary and Frederik live quite modestly in comparison to other people in the very same position. Certainly worth their weight in DKK.

biboquinhas 06-26-2012 09:13 AM

I don't think they live quite modest...God! They live in a Castle, they travel, thet ahve very expensive clothes...and they live quite modest???No for sure. To me Princess Mary should stop buying so mucht expensive and exquisite clothes...this is not the most important thing...the most important thing is what she can do for the Danish people, and it doesn't matter how many events she took part, what it does matter is her work behind the scene...and to me Mary is so mucht talk for her expensive clothes, she wears a new dress almouts every event, yes she does recycle, but no so mucht has she should do, she has plenty of dresses that she has wore just one time...that is a shame!

NGalitzine 06-26-2012 09:25 AM

I agree Muhler, many executives and professionals earn much more than 538.000 € and are fortunate enough not to live in the public eye and have everything they buy and wear examined by the public. I know my dentist, dermatologist, lawyer and all of the VPs of the company I work for all earn more that that amount. A nice income no doubt, but nothing remarkable for people living private lives and certainly nothing special for people who must live their live in the public eye and be judged on everything they do.

Madame Royale 06-26-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

I don't think they live quite modest...God!
You're not looking at it in context. You're comparing them, with the way you or someone else (the general public) may live and it makes no sense to do that.

Compared to others in their position, they do live modestly, or rather, receive a modest apanage.

It needs to be viewed in context of their situation, and not what you or I would consider as being modest because to many people out there I'm sure you live most comfortably or would be considered as being financially wealthy, even though you may not think so yourself. It's all relative.

UserDane 06-26-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biboquinhas (Post 1435425)
...and to me Mary is so mucht talk for her expensive clothes, she wears a new dress almouts every event, yes she does recycle, but no so mucht has she should do, she has plenty of dresses that she has wore just one time...that is a shame!

A new dress for almost every event? I don't follow you. To me, Mary is one of the best royals at recycling. Perhaps you just think you see a new outfit every time she steps out in a new combination.
Even for the queen's 40th jubilee in January, she didn't even once appear in a new outfit (to a lot of people's regret).

And we're all free to discuss her work and work ethics for example instead of just her clothes.