The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022) and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-2021) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   What is in the Queen's Handbag? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/what-is-in-the-queens-handbag-14361.html)

Duchess 10-10-2007 06:39 PM

What is in the Queen's Handbag?

i thought this was a cute article from Hello magazine:

Secrets of the Queen's handbag revealed in new book

sesa 10-10-2007 07:21 PM

I've always wondered what she carries in her bag.
I find it very funny that there are pics of her in her own palace, greeting people, and she is carrying her purse????!!!! Which has made me wonder what she carries in there for her to carry it in her own "house".
Once I get home, I dump my purse on the closest corner and don't even glance at it until the next morning as I'm walking out for work.

CasiraghiTrio 10-10-2007 07:44 PM

For his 2002-Golden Jubilee book of photographs of HM, Tim Graham revealed his own observations about her handbag items. He pointed out that HM always has in there some basic makeup items (compact, lipstick) and a spare pair of gloves. Oh and her reading glasses, of course.
He mentioned other things, but I can't remember. It was a library book.

Duchess 10-11-2007 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sesa (Post 678253)
... I find it very funny that there are pics of her in her own palace, greeting people, and she is carrying her purse????!!!!.

i've wondered that too now that you mention it. i know she has police protection at all times but it makes you wonder if she carries anything in her purse for protection as well.

CasiraghiTrio 10-11-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess (Post 678426)
i've wondered that too now that you mention it. i know she has police protection at all times but it makes you wonder if she carries anything in her purse for protection as well.

:rofl: HM blinds Ambassador Whatsit with pepperspray! :eek:

wbenson 10-11-2007 12:11 PM

Whenever she's undertaking engagements in one of her residences, she may also be somewhat far away from her apartments. It's probably quite a walk through Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace.

sesa 10-11-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 678515)
Whenever she's undertaking engagements in one of her residences, she may also be somewhat far away from her apartments. It's probably quite a walk through Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace.

Be that as it may, you would think she would put her purse down on the side of a couch, under her desk, hand it to her LIW or something. But to carry it in her own "house" just seems strange to me. I mean, she actually carries it on her arm. At least to me it's strange.

iowabelle 10-11-2007 02:25 PM

I like the image of the Queen with the meat hook in her purse! (They said she carries it so she can hang the purse off the table and not place it on the floor -- but later on they said she has a secret code with staff, if the purse is on the floor it means "Lady-in-waiting, rescue me from this person!" Maybe the code works when she's not sitting at a dining table?).

Vanishing Lady 10-17-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbenson (Post 678515)

Not to mention she'd cause a bit of a flutter in the everyday functioning were she to be seen rushing back and forth. :rofl:

Seriously, though. That article was adorable. Until now, I'd never really thought about what the Queen has in her handbag. I don't carry a purse, so I don't give much thought to them.

Russophile 10-18-2007 04:25 PM

I keep photos of my kids in my purse. I'm sure I would keep a photo of my son when he comes back safe from Afghanistan like HM as well!
Boy, what luxury not to keep your passport in your purse! I am always afraid of the stupid thing being stolen and somebody copping my ID!!

GillW 10-19-2007 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russophile (Post 681748)
I keep photos of my kids in my purse. I'm sure I would keep a photo of my son when he comes back safe from Afghanistan like HM as well!
Boy, what luxury not to keep your passport in your purse! I am always afraid of the stupid thing being stolen and somebody copping my ID!!

As the Queen doesn't have a passport, she doesn't ever have that worry, of course!!

blondie28 10-20-2007 09:53 PM

I know the Queen carries lipstick and eye glasses, but I didn't know the other stuff.

Russophile 10-22-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GillW (Post 681842)
As the Queen doesn't have a passport, she doesn't ever have that worry, of course!!

That's interesting that she doesn't carry a passport. What happens if HM is at a party where they are all impersonating HM? :biggrin:

pinkie40 10-28-2007 03:36 PM

I once toured a small factory in England which made luxury fabric out of horsehair. This small factory took great pride that they had made the fabric for purses for Her Majesty The Queen and for a couple of members of the Japanese Royal Family....I don't think they are listed on the web because they are so small but I will keep a look out for a link to this small factory/workshop.

Russophile 10-29-2007 07:48 PM

That would be cool Pinkie! I'd plop some cash down for one of their works!

pinkie40 10-31-2007 12:22 AM

I actually got to touch a sample square of some of the blue fabric that had been made especially for Her Majesty The Queen's purse.... They had a photograph of The Queen carrying the purse that was eventually made by the designer who constructed it for her!

Absolutely exquisite...one would have to be royalty to afford even a small amount of this material as every inch had to pass several inspections and go thru multiple processes from horsetail to handbag!

pinkie40 10-31-2007 12:30 AM

Is there a story about the compact Majesty carries in her purse???

I am sure it is solid gold and was a gift....maybe from her husband??

I can't remember if I read somewhere the powder is Elizabeth Arden or now Estee' Lauder (since the Lauder's are friends of members of the Royal Family).

User0501 11-14-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russophile (Post 683275)
That's interesting that she doesn't carry a passport. What happens if HM is at a party where they are all impersonating HM? :biggrin:

A British passport is issued in Her Majesty's name to a Briton,so HM does not need to carry a passport which is issued in her name.

cmkrcwi 11-15-2007 05:53 PM

I remember reading once that she keeps some kind of hard candy - barley sugar or something - to help prevent her mouth from getting too dry . I imagine these days it would be something sugarless.

Harry's polo shirt 11-19-2007 11:49 PM

Hopefully nothing blueberry.. That would funny, her with a blue mouth.

Vanishing Lady 11-23-2007 10:05 PM

Or strawberry....:lol:

lexi4 01-31-2008 02:21 PM

What a great article. And that s-shaped metal meat hook. on which to hang her purse while she is seated at a table, is a great idea. I wouldn't mind having one of those.:smile:

Russophile 01-31-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexi4 (Post 723951)
What a great article. And that s-shaped metal meat hook. on which to hang her purse while she is seated at a table, is a great idea. I wouldn't mind having one of those.:smile:

My dear Lexi, YOU are a kid in a candy store! :flowers:
I'm glad you're having fun and indeed! It is an interesting article!!

Skydragon 01-31-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sesa (Post 678253)
I've always wondered what she carries in her bag.
I find it very funny that there are pics of her in her own palace, greeting people, and she is carrying her purse????!!!! Which has made me wonder what she carries in there for her to carry it in her own "house".
Once I get home, I dump my purse on the closest corner and don't even glance at it until the next morning as I'm walking out for work.

But we are not talking about a normal sized house! :lol: The servants would be exhausted if they had to run down all those corridors just to get her specs! :rofl:

Russophile 01-31-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 724006)
But we are not talking about a normal sized house! :lol: The servants would be exhausted if they had to run down all those corridors just to get her specs! :rofl:

Watching the Andrew interview yesterday walking through Buckingham Palace, I was reminded just how BIG the place is! Talk about finding spec needles in haystacks!

lexi4 01-31-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russophile (Post 723967)
My dear Lexi, YOU are a kid in a candy store! :flowers:
I'm glad you're having fun and indeed! It is an interesting article!!

I get tired of my purse getting stomped on under a table. :biggrin: I think that is a cool idea. I wonder if hers has diamonds on it. I mean, is it bling for the queen?:rofl:

Harry's polo shirt 01-31-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 724006)

They probably have walkies and page someone from one side of the house and they meet someone half way.

Cordonez 02-03-2008 11:34 PM

Which hand?

I recently read an article that said that when she has her handbag on one arm things are well, when the other she is bored and needs rescuing by her LIW. Unfortunately I have returned the book to the library and cannot recall which arm means which. Sorry for those of you who are to meet the queen soon. Just look out for her purse changing arms :lol:.

GillW 02-04-2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cordonez (Post 725408)
I recently read an article that said that when she has her handbag on one arm things are well, when the other she is bored and needs rescuing by her LIW. Unfortunately I have returned the book to the library and cannot recall which arm means which. Sorry for those of you who are to meet the queen soon. Just look out for her purse changing arms :lol:.

HM Almost invariably carries her bag on her left arm - for one thing that leaves her right free for hand-shaking. So watch out if it is on her right arm!

Fabulous Fake 02-04-2008 05:04 AM

Its a lovely little book and has lots of other snippets of information.

I got my copy from Amazon and I can recommend it to anyone interested in royalty trivia.

Russophile 02-04-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabulous Fake (Post 725473)
Its a lovely little book and has lots of other snippets of information.

I got my copy from Amazon and I can recommend it to anyone interested in royalty trivia.

What lovely little book? You didn't encase a quote so I'm a little lost here. Borders might have it as well??
Thanks!:flowers:

norwegianne 02-04-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russophile (Post 725681)
What lovely little book? You didn't encase a quote so I'm a little lost here. Borders might have it as well??
Thanks!:flowers:

I believe Fabulous Fake was refering to the book "What's in the Queen's Handbag: And Other Royal Secrets" by Phil Dampier and Ashley Walton, the book mentioned in the first post :flowers:

Russophile 02-04-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne (Post 725699)
I believe Fabulous Fake was refering to the book "What's in the Queen's Handbag: And Other Royal Secrets" by Phil Dampier and Ashley Walton, the book mentioned in the first post :flowers:

Oh Cool! Thanks!!! :flowers:

Fabulous Fake 02-04-2008 05:57 PM

Thanks norwegianne.:flowers:

PadThaiPrincess 02-04-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmkrcwi (Post 693624)
I remember reading once that she keeps some kind of hard candy - barley sugar or something - to help prevent her mouth from getting too dry . I imagine these days it would be something sugarless.

I read it's barley sugars(my own favorite candy)for potential upset stomachs and energy.

Harry's polo shirt 02-04-2008 11:06 PM

something surgerless... that made me laugh.

Madame Royale 02-04-2008 11:20 PM

I was always under the impression..

Compact
Lipstick
Handkerchief
Some sort of mouth refreshment
Reading Glasses
Speech(es)

PadThaiPrincess 02-05-2008 10:46 PM

Oh, and gloves! In the Burrell book he said she's always has a clean pair of gloves in case the ones she's wearing become soiled.

HM Queen Catherine 06-05-2009 05:42 PM

It's interesting to know what she carries in that purse, but I have to say that is the least endearing thing about the Queen, IMO.

It sometimes strikes me as ridiculous that she's carrying that dang purse around everywhere.

Leave it in the car! Hand it to your assistant! But Jeez.. put it down already! ;)

Mermaid1962 06-05-2009 08:41 PM

I find it good to have a purse just so that I have something to do with my hands on dressy occasions. Otherwise, what does one do with them? Fold them in front? No, too prissy. Fold them in back? No, makes my big chest look even bigger. Cross my arms? No, looks stand-offish. Keep my hands by my sides? No, feels strange. Hanging onto a purse is just the thing.;):flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine (Post 948221)
It's interesting to know what she carries in that purse, but I have to say that is the least endearing thing about the Queen, IMO.

It sometimes strikes me as ridiculous that she's carrying that dang purse around everywhere.

Leave it in the car! Hand it to your assistant! But Jeez.. put it down already! ;)

Dalps09 07-03-2009 08:46 PM

Would someone explain me why she has to carry her purse to a garden party at Buckingham Palace? I saw a picture of her recently and I wondered myself why does she bring it while she's at home?

Iluvbertie 07-03-2009 09:19 PM

Tradition.

She doesn't feel 'dressed' without it and as a Garden Party, albeit one in her own backyard, is a public engagement for her she feels it is what people expect of her so she doesn't want to disappoint.

I relate her to my mother, who was the same generation, and Mum would never leave the house, even to pop next door to borrow something without her purse. She said 'It isn't right' as if that was a satisfactory explanation.

Lumutqueen 07-04-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess (Post 678238)
i thought this was a cute article from Hello magazine:

Secrets of the Queen's handbag revealed in new book

That is a very cute article.

I always thought
Compact, Glasses, possible sun glasses depending on the weather, sweets/barley sugar and speeches.
The photo mentioned in the article is terrible sweet. :flowers:

Osipi 07-05-2009 10:50 PM

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that HM carries her Ipod with her and maybe even a Kindle. Things to have to pass time while she's traveling and wants to relax. I don't own a Kindle but when I do leave home, I always have a book I am reading with me.

agogo 07-16-2010 12:01 AM

Probably an emergency alert button - panic button that would bring everyone running.

Lumutqueen 07-16-2010 04:28 AM

I don't see why she would need a panic button when she is surrounded by guards.

muriel 07-16-2010 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 962226)
It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that HM carries her Ipod with her and maybe even a Kindle. Things to have to pass time while she's traveling and wants to relax. I don't own a Kindle but when I do leave home, I always have a book I am reading with me.

HM would not need to carry an ipod - she can have her choice of music in her car, train or plane without any trouble.

Russophile 07-16-2010 03:06 PM

Naaaaaw. Corgi snacks. Russo is certain of it!

:biggrin:

Harold 07-17-2010 01:25 PM

Didn't I read somewhere that the Queen does have an iPod and likes to use it?

Lighthouse 07-17-2010 01:46 PM

:ermm: I have a hard time believing some of it. Little dogs and horses? A meathook? A photo of Andrew returned home from war what 20 years ago? I'm sure it's more likely to be full of practical items like tissues and makeup and perhaps pen and paper. I also wouldn't be surprised if it contains some kind of personal security device and a mobile phone.

Lumutqueen 07-17-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 1112969)
Didn't I read somewhere that the Queen does have an iPod and likes to use it?

I think one of the boys got her it in the past few years.

georgiea 07-17-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1112997)
I think one of the boys got her it in the past few years.

Lumutqueen I believe you are right about the iPod. Prince Andrew got her up and running with a computer.:flowers:

Harold 07-17-2010 07:01 PM

So HM now surfs the net. I wonder if she checks out this site? Or does she spend all her time on the horse racing sites?

Duchessmary 07-17-2010 09:26 PM

LOL I can imagine if she checked this site!!!! :rofl:

muriel 07-20-2010 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 1113115)
So HM now surfs the net. I wonder if she checks out this site? Or does she spend all her time on the horse racing sites?

HM referred to using the internet in 1997, at the time of her golden wedding anniversary, so one can be reasonably sure she is net savvy. I too have read that she had received an Ipod, but I doubt she carries it around in her handbag.

Osipi 07-20-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1114159)
HM referred to using the internet in 1997, at the time of her golden wedding anniversary, so one can be reasonably sure she is net savvy. I too have read that she had received an Ipod, but I doubt she carries it around in her handbag.

She has them and no doubt she's fallen to the pranks of Harry and William with the cellphone. If she's older like me, its not an important part of her handbag. She probably has staff on the net arranging and plotting anyways. Growing up in the era my mother did.. she probably always has a lace handkerchief, enough money for a phone call (mad money) and pictures of the family she looks at and smiles at. Lipstick and compact with a mirror and always an extra set of gloves. I wouldn't be surprised though if she had the Ipod with her favorite music on it and headphones... Staff goes "HM has headphones on.. she is NOT to be disturbed". :smile:

muriel 07-20-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 1114172)
She has them and no doubt she's fallen to the pranks of Harry and William with the cellphone. If she's older like me, its not an important part of her handbag. She probably has staff on the net arranging and plotting anyways. Growing up in the era my mother did.. she probably always has a lace handkerchief, enough money for a phone call (mad money) and pictures of the family she looks at and smiles at. Lipstick and compact with a mirror and always an extra set of gloves. I wouldn't be surprised though if she had the Ipod with her favorite music on it and headphones... Staff goes "HM has headphones on.. she is NOT to be disturbed". :smile:

.... except HM famously never carries any money. :flowers:

Osipi 07-20-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1114183)
.... except HM famously never carries any money. :flowers:

yeps... you're right again... was going on what my mom taught me.

MARG 07-20-2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 1114191)
yeps... you're right again... was going on what my mom taught me.

Did tour mom tell you where to keep the mad or emergency money? I'll bet the Queen Mum didn't pass along that pearl to her daughter. :rofl:

lopster 08-19-2010 02:31 PM

I read that she carries a 20 for the collection plate at church. Can't remember for the life of me where it was.

Tiggersk8 08-19-2010 04:14 PM

I don't remember where I read it, but I always thought thanks to reading it somewhere that HM always has a bottle of seltzer water in her handbag. For when one of her four legged furry darlings has a bit of a boo boo on the floors.

I could be wrong of course, but I know I read that somewhere.

Debbies 09-05-2010 05:41 PM

The Queen's bag is becoming bigger at each post :lol::flowers:

Russophile 09-07-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbies (Post 1133673)
The Queen's bag is becoming bigger at each post :lol::flowers:

Didn't you know? She's got a kitchen sink in there!

:biggrin:

Debbies 09-11-2010 12:23 PM

Very practical! ;):lol:

KittyAtlanta 09-13-2010 11:49 AM

Launer’s of London holds the Royal Warrant for HM. The bags are exquisite.

Jacknch 09-13-2010 01:14 PM

I would hope some kind of heavy object with which to batter daft prime-ministers with...a possible tradition that goes back decades!

Osipi 09-13-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1136464)
I would hope some kind of heavy object with which to batter daft prime-ministers with...a possible tradition that goes back decades!

Better yet.. a perfumed Irish lace handkerchief with her choice of scent (new thread? what scent does HM like?) which she will discreetly holds to her nose. Body language says it all.. would mean.. "YOU STINK" :0)

texankitcat 11-27-2010 06:09 AM

I have always wondered the same thing...about her handbag. I noticed long ago that you never see pictures of her without one unless it's an official photo. What I find interesting is that she apparently meets the Prime Minister in her private sitting room, and yet she always has a handbag with her there as well. If all she carries is makeup, gloves and breath mints, then why carry it within your own apartment?

Considering the number of people she has at her beck and call as Queen. you would think she could have someone carry items for her. There must be some other reason she is always with one other than a handbag fetish.

Renata4711 11-28-2010 07:39 AM

The answer is simple: A lady (especially of "a certain age") wears a handbag as a fashion accessory.
You wouldn't see HM carrying a handbag that is not carefully accessorised. Same with hats.

HM Queen Catherine 11-28-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texankitcat (Post 1167096)
Considering the number of people she has at her beck and call as Queen. you would think she could have someone carry items for her. There must be some other reason she is always with one other than a handbag fetish.

The handbag is where the panic button is kept. :rofl:

missmaggy 12-03-2010 07:10 PM

Maybe she likes to keep her purse handy at all times because she has dry lips/hands and needs quick access to her lotion/lipstick. That's why I keep my purse close by.

Mermaid1962 12-04-2010 06:20 AM

A handbag probably gives her something to do with her hands once the formality of hand-shaking is over. I've noticed that she fidgets her hands when she's sitting for portraits, and I'd guess that she likes something to hang onto.

KittyAtlanta 12-06-2010 11:34 AM

Majesty magazine reports that the Queen carries a comb, a handkerchief, a small gold compact and a tube of lipstick in her handbag. On Sundays, she carries paper money to place in the collection plate at church.

Harold 12-06-2010 03:14 PM

So she doesn't carry the nuclear launch codes in her handbag?

Thena 12-06-2010 03:54 PM

:previous: No, I suspect that the prime minister gets those.

RoyalistRiley 12-06-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine (Post 1167502)
The handbag is where the panic button is kept. :rofl:

Panic button?

I don't see why people are so interested in what is in her handbag, anyway. She is a lady - and probably carries what most other ladies do.

Russophile 12-14-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley (Post 1171401)
Panic button?

I don't see why people are so interested in what is in her handbag, anyway. She is a lady - and probably carries what most other ladies do.

But sh'es not just ANY lady, she is the Queen after all. And being a gossip monger, Russo's inquiring mind wants to know! :biggrin:

MrsHolmes 12-14-2010 07:26 PM

...and a hat pin?
For unwanted attention?!!

Kataryn 12-15-2010 07:49 AM

I bet she keeps the goodies for her dogs in it. That's why she always has it by her side, even in her private sittingroom....

Edit: Just saw that Russo had the same idea but motnths before me. A toast to you with a fine Merlot from the wineyards of Southern Germany where Merlot is allowed to be grown since around 10 years or so....

vittoria 12-15-2010 09:27 AM

This has occasionally been discussed in the media. She apparently doesn't carry more than a handkerchief and gloves. Her lady-in-waiting carries money and anything else she might need.

KPWillie 01-05-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley

Panic button?

Yes, probably ordinary handbag items. Perhaps she just likes to carry her handbag to have something for her hands to do since she can't adjust her shirt cuffs like Charles does.

PrincessKaimi 02-05-2011 03:08 PM

I know I don't feel dressed without my handbag (my DH wonders why I have to have it every time we step out, but I do). My mom was the same way. As I get older, it's even more essential that I have it on my arm or nearby.

As to Ipods, well, there are times when one wants to listen to music or podcasts or lessons or news privately. The Queen seems to have so little time to experience her own moods and inner life (for me, that's what music is about). One does not always wish to share one's moods with the chauffeur, the guards, etc - one may wish to block them out and use the Ipod as a noise canceling feature (I know I would; I've just started using one myself, and more and more, it serves that purpose - it's lovely).

I love that she carries the little trinkets in her purse, too. Her handbag seems to serve many functions, it centers her, contains small essentials for her person (as if anyone would want to have to ask someone else to hand them their lipstick!), and the signaling she does with it is fascinating. I think many people in public life (my job involves far too much public contact, actually) develop these signals, and those who know us well know these signals, it happens naturally but easily becomes a code.

My daughter uses one of those hook things as well, as she is somewhat germophobic (I'm getting there too), and so obviously, the Queen's placing of her bag on the floor is a sign that she's really had it with that engagement (and must be immediately rescued or else!) When I was younger, I thought gloves were a mere fashion statement or affectation, now I see their immense value if people actually want to touch one's hand.

She's one really well-prepared and put together lady. I do wish she'd expand her choice of handbags (but otoh, I've settled in on a couple of styles myself, and find it very difficult to change, and it would hardly be fitting to see Queen Elizabeth II with the latest Marc Jacobs or Fendi bag - can you imagine her with a spybag???)

magnik 02-05-2011 04:30 PM

Maybe i-Pad?

Esmerelda 02-05-2011 05:06 PM

She has an iPod doesn't she?

PrincessKaimi 02-05-2011 05:10 PM

It was said earlier on the thread that she does have an iPod. There was no citation, but I see no reason not to trust the source. I'd love to see a picture of her using it!

Esmerelda 02-05-2011 06:00 PM

I think she got one from Obama. I hope she hasn't given it to one of her grandchildren!

Zonk 02-05-2011 06:07 PM

I believe she had one before that...given to her by her grandchildren.

Osipi 02-05-2011 06:27 PM

I wouldn't be the least surprised that she carries a cell phone with her. I just wonder what her ring tone would be. :biggrin:

Zonk 02-05-2011 06:32 PM

This story was making the rounds in the past (not sure how much of it was true).

Who doesn't like to have a little fun and games with their grandparent, in an attempt to loosen them up? Britain's young royals sure do, and they knew the perfect formula to have a good laugh with Her Majesty.
Princes William and Harry played a prank on their grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, by recording her voicemail to say "wassup!"
The royal brothers thought it would be funny to record the answering machine joke when the queen asked for help setting up her the voicemail on her cell phone.
The recorded message said, "This is Liz. Sorry I'm away from the throne. For a hotline to Philip, press one. For Charles, press two. And for the corgis, press three."

Princes William And Harry Pull Phone Joke On Queen Elizabeth

Duchess of Durham 02-05-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 1201669)
I wouldn't be the least surprised that she carries a cell phone with her. I just wonder what her ring tone would be. :biggrin:

"It's good to be the Queen."

PrincessKaimi 02-06-2011 01:23 PM

The voicemail prank story is hilarious. It's good to see such closeness between QE and her grandsons, must make her very happy.

PrincessKaimi 05-06-2011 02:20 PM

Has this song about the Queen's purse been posted before? I don't recall seeing it - hope it's not a duplicate:

YouTube - Singer/Songwriter Terry McLeish - The Queen's Purse

Renata4711 05-23-2011 07:05 AM

After her triumph in the Republic of Ireland, she should always carry a shamrock in ther handbag....

Warren 02-05-2012 05:31 AM

Lipstick, a crisply folded 10 note and a portable hook: The secrets of the Queen's handbag revealed | Mail Online

For years the question of whether or not the Queen carries cash in her handbag has been debated and deliberated.
And after much speculation it has finally been revealed that alongside her must-have lippy and compact mirror she does carry a 'precisely' folded 5 or 10 note - but only to donate to the church on Sundays.

That is according to royal biographer Sally Bedell Smith, who has revealed the secrets inside Her Majesty's bag in her new book, Elizabeth the Queen: The Woman Behind The Throne. Speaking to The Lady magazine the author said the monarch's handbag usually contains every day items like reading glasses, a fountain pen and mint lozenges.

It was revealed she is also known to carry a portable hook to hang her bag discretely under tables.Jean Willis, one of the Queen's cousins is quoted in the magazine as saying 'I watched the Queen open her handbag and remove a white suction cup and discretely spit into it.'The Queen then attached the cup to the underside of the of the table. The cup had a hook on it, and she attached her handbag to it.'

But according to Mrs Bedell Smith the most important items in her bag are a small mirror and lipstick, which she is said to apply even when sat at the dinner table. She writes 'At the end of a luncheon or a dinner, even a banquet set with silver gilt and antique porcelain, she has the somewhat outre habit of opening her bag, pulling out a compact and reapplying her lipstick.'

Rocketmom 12-06-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esmerelda (Post 1201661)
I think she got one from Obama. I hope she hasn't given it to one of her grandchildren!

Obama gave her one with his own speechs on it.. I doubt she spends a lot of time listening to that!

mammacats 12-06-2012 08:53 AM

I have always found it mildly amusing that she lives in a palace so big she carries a purse with her from room to room when she is at home. Or was that just a figment of Hollywood imagination? The phone message prank was hilarious. I wish I could appologize to her on behalf of most of my fellow Americans for the ignorant behaviour of our President when he visits England. Most of us would have better sense than to gift her with an ipod with speeches on it.

One more thought, those hooks have been available for sale in this country for years now. They prevent the problem of what to do with your nice expensive purse when you don't want to put it on the filthy floor.

DCVO 12-06-2012 10:13 AM

Well she works as well as lives in the palace, and it would be unprofessional to walk back to her living quarters between meetings to freshen up her lipstick. And having a footman or whatever go fetch it to her would be... gauche. If you forget on accident once, that's fine, but to send off for your lipstick multiple times a day would be a fast track to a bad rep. Particularly when the solution is as easy as 'take your purse with you to the business suite.'

Duchess of Durham 12-06-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketmom (Post 1490465)
Obama gave her one with his own speechs on it.. I doubt she spends a lot of time listening to that!

Seriously! Do other world leaders give gifts with stuff like their speeches too to each other?

Osipi 12-06-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham (Post 1490509)
Seriously! Do other world leaders give gifts with stuff like their speeches too to each other?

Maybe Obama's purpose for uploading his speeches on an IPod for the Queen was for the purpose of ensuring that HM would get a good snooze on long trips? :whistling:

ladongas 12-06-2012 11:19 AM

A myth!

President Obama did not give the Queen a gift of an iPod with his speeches. The Queen, however, did give him a gift of a picture of herself!

Barack Obama's gift for the Queen: an iPod, your Majesty Telegraph Blogs
Barack Obama met the Queen at Buckingham Palace today and gave her a gift of an iPod loaded with video footage and photographs of her 2007 United States visit to Richmond, Jamestown and Williamsburg in Virginia. In return, the Queen gave the President a silver framed signed photograph of herself and the Duke of Edinburgh apparently a standard present for visiting dignitaries.
It is believed the Queen already has an iPod, a 6GB silver Mini version she is said to have bought in 2005 at the suggestion of Prince Andrew.
UPDATE: Pool reporter Richard Wolf of USA Today says that an Obama aide told him the President also gave the Queen a "rare songbook signed by Richard Rodgers". END UPDATE