The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f46/)
-   -   Godparents for Princess Eléonore of Belgium (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f46/godparents-for-princess-el-onore-of-belgium-14300.html)

carlota 10-05-2007 03:01 PM

Godparents for Princess Eléonore of Belgium

who will be the godparents of philippe and mathilde's fourth child?

i think princess maxima is quite a safe bet. :flowers:

elisabetteke 10-05-2007 03:46 PM

I really hope that princess Maria Laura will be the godmother.
for the godfather I don't know.

paola 10-05-2007 06:12 PM

Queen Fabiola for Godmother perhaps?
And Grandduke Henri for Godfather?

Crown Prins Willem Alexander would be a great Godparent too I think, but he isn't Catholick.

principessa 10-05-2007 06:20 PM

I think they would choose one sibling of HRH Prince Philippe (perhaps HIRH Princess Maria Laura would also be a possibility) or the sibling-in-law of PP and one cousin of the d'Udekem d'Acoz family.

Royal Fan 10-05-2007 06:26 PM

Crown Prince Felipe, Maxima Grand Duke Henri and King Albert II

The Prince of Wales?

Mary Maxima Felipe W-A Prince Henrik of Denmark One or two siblings of the Duchess of Brabant.

King Juan Carlos I of Spain ?

HRH Prince Joachim of Denmark The Duke of Edinborugh

Prince William of Wales! (hey you never know! :P)

Prince Albert II of Monaco

crm2317 10-05-2007 06:26 PM

I also was hoping for Princess Maria-Laura for godmother as Prince Amadeo is godfather to Elizabeth. Perhaps Crown Princes Mary or Frederick or one of the Luxembourg cousins like Felix for godfather

Rice 10-05-2007 07:42 PM

I was thinking they would stick with family members. Maybe Prince Laurent and one of the princesses sisters (or are they both godmothers already, in which case, perhaps Princess Maria-Laura

martha-louise 10-06-2007 05:44 AM

When Elisabeth was born, Philippe and Mathilde said they had chosen Amedeo and Hélène, because they wanted yong godparents. That instead of chosing their parents, like it is most common.
With Gabriel they did the same thing, but with Emmanuel they've also chosen Maria Christina Rossi di Montelera and she's already 42 and married to someone 47.

I found a little genealogy, so you can see how Maria Christina is related to prince Philippe.

Paola's mother:
1.1.Luisa Gazelli (1896-1989), m.1919 Don Fulco, Prince Ruffo di Calabria (1884-1946)
Paola's sister:
1.1.1.Donna Maria-Cristina Ruffo di Calabria (1920-2003), m.1940 Casimiro San Martino d'Agliè, Marchese di Fontanetto con San Germano (1903-1988)
1.1.1.1.Emanuela San Martino d'Agliè, m.1962 Ernesto [dei conti] Rossi di Montelera (*1938)
1.1.1.1.1.Lidia Rossi di Montelera (*1963), m.1990 Count Alexander of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1964)
1.1.1.1.1.1.Countess Luisa of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1991)
1.1.1.1.1.2.Countess Maria Amelie of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1993)
1.1.1.1.1.3.Countess Elisabeth of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1995)
1.1.1.1.1.4.Count Vincenz of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1998)
1.1.1.1.1.5.Countess Teresa of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1999)
1.1.1.1.2.Maria Cristina Rossi di Montelera (*1965), m.1994 Baron Hans-Ulrich von Freyberg-Eisenberg-Allmendingen (*1960)

(Descendants of Count Felice Rignon)

So we can't really know... who would think of an grandniece...

I wouldn't vote for a royal, Philippe and Mathilde like to choose close familiy. The take it very serious. They don't chose someone for the pretty title they have or glamour.

carlota 10-06-2007 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha-louise (Post 676150)
When Elisabeth was born, Philippe and Mathilde said they had chosen Amedeo and Hélène, because they wanted yong godparents. That instead of chosing their parents, like it is most common.
With Gabriel they did the same thing, but with Emmanuel they've also chosen Maria Christina Rossi di Montelera and she's already 42 and married to someone 47.

I found a little genealogy, so you can see how Maria Christina is related to prince Philippe.

Paola's mother:
1.1.Luisa Gazelli (1896-1989), m.1919 Don Fulco, Prince Ruffo di Calabria (1884-1946)
Paola's sister:
1.1.1.Donna Maria-Cristina Ruffo di Calabria (1920-2003), m.1940 Casimiro San Martino d'Agliè, Marchese di Fontanetto con San Germano (1903-1988)
1.1.1.1.Emanuela San Martino d'Agliè, m.1962 Ernesto [dei conti] Rossi di Montelera (*1938)
1.1.1.1.1.Lidia Rossi di Montelera (*1963), m.1990 Count Alexander of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1964)
1.1.1.1.1.1.Countess Luisa of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1991)
1.1.1.1.1.2.Countess Maria Amelie of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1993)
1.1.1.1.1.3.Countess Elisabeth of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1995)
1.1.1.1.1.4.Count Vincenz of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1998)
1.1.1.1.1.5.Countess Teresa of Trauttmansdorff-Weinsberg (*1999)
1.1.1.1.2.Maria Cristina Rossi di Montelera (*1965), m.1994 Baron Hans-Ulrich von Freyberg-Eisenberg-Allmendingen (*1960)

(Descendants of Count Felice Rignon)

So we can't really know... who would think of an grandniece...

I wouldn't vote for a royal, Philippe and Mathilde like to choose close familiy. The take it very serious. They don't chose someone for the pretty title they have or glamour.

in the other christenings they tended to choose close friends and also some royals:

elisabeth's godparents: amedeo of belgium and helene d'udekem d'acoz (cousin and aunt)
gabriel's godparents: his uncle charles d'udekem d'acoz and baroness christina freyberg
emmanuel's godparents: elisabeth d'udekem d'acoz and guillaume of luxembourg

since they are catholic, they only choose two godparents. they seem to be likely to choose catholic godparents, though, therefore maxima seems quite a good option since she remained in the catholic church even though she married a protestant.

Lila Rose 10-06-2007 02:42 PM

I think they might choose CP Maxima or CP Felipe of Spain , or maybe one of the danish CP ?:smile:

MissSaga 10-06-2007 05:24 PM

Who are Elisabeth, Gabriel and Emmanuel's godparents?

dazzling 10-06-2007 06:54 PM

Maybe CP Frederik or/and CP Mary of Denmark since CP.Mathilde is godmother to P.Isabella.

acdc1 10-06-2007 07:31 PM

It wouldn't be a surprise at all if Frederik or Mary was named a godparent. It will be very interesting to see who they choose.

martha-louise 10-06-2007 07:51 PM

Mathilde was a godparent to a Dutch princess and a Danish princess. But they are protestant. They chose more than one godmother.

In roman-catholicism you only chose one. So I don't think we have to look in other royal houses. It's more common to chose direct family. Friends you can lose, family is forever...

Rice 10-07-2007 12:29 AM

After thinking about it again and seeing who the godparents of the other 3 children are, I think it will be Prince Laurent and Princess Astrid.
All of Princess Mathilde's siblings are godparent's already (to Elisabeth, Gabriel and Emmanuel) and I just realized Prince Phillippe's siblings aren't at all.
I think it should/will be Prince Laurent and Princess Astrid.

Princess Robijn 10-07-2007 03:15 AM

Either, HRH Crown Princess Mary, HRH Princess Máxima or HIRH Princess Maria Laura

and

Either, HRH Crown Prince Frederik, HRH The Prince of Orange or HRH Prince Felix.

carlota 10-07-2007 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissSaga (Post 676343)
Who are Elisabeth, Gabriel and Emmanuel's godparents?

elisabeth's godparents: amedeo of belgium and helene d'udekem d'acoz (cousin and aunt)
gabriel's godparents: his uncle charles d'udekem d'acoz and baroness christina freyberg
emmanuel's godparents: elisabeth d'udekem d'acoz and guillaume of luxembourg

Princess Maxima 10-07-2007 06:18 AM

I think they'll choose Princess Máxima

Tan 10-07-2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Maxima (Post 676528)
I think they'll choose Princess Máxima

I think so too... it seems to me that Mathilde and Maxima are good friends...

Chimene 10-07-2007 11:16 PM

If they choose a non-family member, I think it will be Maxima as well.

Helena 10-10-2007 09:13 AM

I am hoping for Maxima but I don´t think they will ask her. Am expecting relatives, Maria Laura for example.

Tilda1234 10-19-2007 11:03 AM

i think as well that they will stick to a family member or maybe close friend. And the godparent should be catholic. So they won't take a member of another royal family, so not Maxima, Mary ....

Possible are Joachim and a cousin (female) of Mathilde. Maybe instead of Joachim Prince Felix of Luxembourg.
Or Maria Laura and a relativ/cousin (male) of Mathilde.

Lila Rose 10-19-2007 12:20 PM

I don't think they will chose Joachim , because he's already godfather of his own sister , Letitia-Maria

And it's very possible they want a catholic godmother , but Maxima is originaly catholic , so maybe ...;)

COUNTESS 10-20-2007 08:51 PM

The Duke of Edinburgh is a very old man, I doubt it.

Rice 10-20-2007 11:47 PM

I think Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent

Tara20052 10-22-2007 03:33 AM

Are the Luxembourg Royals related to the Belgian royal family through Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte? and if so, then maybe Princess Alexandra or Prince Sebastian should be a Godparent.:flowers:

crm2317 11-02-2007 12:12 PM

I really think they will chose Princess Maria-Laura and I hope they do.

However they may go for one of the Luxembourg royals such as Felix or Alexandra or maybe they will choose Crown Princess Maxima as she remained catholic upon marriage.

Princess Maria Laura
Prince Felix of Luxembourg

principessa 03-14-2008 12:11 PM

Another possibilty: HRH Prince Alexander of Belgium, HRH Princess Lea of Belgium or HRH Princess Marie-Esmeralda of Belgium

PrincessofEurope 03-31-2008 05:42 PM

if they were to choose a non-family member and a catholic why not Letizia but i dont think it will be Maxima

acdc1 03-31-2008 06:46 PM

I really don't think that they'll choose anyone except family or very close friends. Perhaps Maxima or MAYBE (and that's a big maybe) Letizia if they choose a foreign royal. But other than that, I suspect it'll be Maria Laura or Joachim, and I really don't know who else.

hilal 04-01-2008 11:45 AM

Godparents for the new Prince or Princess of Belgium

Princess Claire and Prince Joachim.

lucien 04-01-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilda1234 (Post 681986)
i think as well that they will stick to a family member or maybe close friend. And the godparent should be catholic. So they won't take a member of another royal family, so not Maxima, Mary ....

Possible are Joachim and a cousin (female) of Mathilde. Maybe instead of Joachim Prince Felix of Luxembourg.
Or Maria Laura and a relativ/cousin (male) of Mathilde.

HRH Princess Máxima is still a Roman Catholic,she did not nor will not convert.
:smile:

crm2317 04-01-2008 12:40 PM

Following the pattern with the 3 elder children it would seem that it is a godfather from Mathilde's family and a godmother from Phillipe's family:

- Marquis Alfonso Pallavicini (godfather)
- Princess Maria Laura of Belgium (godmother)

norwegianne 04-16-2008 03:17 AM

The Godparents: Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Claire of Belgium. graaf Sébastien von Westphalen zu Fürstenberg

Is it two Godmothers because Victoria is not catholic?

GlitteringTiaras 04-16-2008 03:26 AM

I'm going to assume they will ask family members, and if they decide on a royal most likely it will be Maxima with Mary as a long shot (even though Mathilde is godmother to Isabella).

Princess Luna 04-16-2008 03:32 AM

Who is graaf Sèbastien von Westphalen zu Fürstenberg?

princess leonor 04-16-2008 03:40 AM

Why are there going to be 2 godmothers and only one godfather? Is that a normal thing in the Belgium Royal Family?

indian princess 04-16-2008 04:47 AM

i'm confused too...i thought they always chose one godmother and one godfather....i'm a bit disappointed though as i was hoping for maria aura to be godmother...

windsorgirl 04-16-2008 12:39 PM

When we had our daughter christened, the rule was that just one of the godparents had to be Catholic, I don't know if they do things differently in Europe, though.

Rebafan81 04-16-2008 12:44 PM

I didnt know that Maria Laura had the title of Princess. What does HIRH stand for?
I think they will stick with close family this time also.

lilytornado 04-16-2008 01:15 PM

It stands for "Her Imperial and Royal Highness"
She gets the "imperial" title through her father. She is a Princess of Belgium through her mother, and through her father "Archduchess of Austria-Este, Princess Imperial of Austria, Princess Royal of Hungary and Bohemia, Princess of Modena "

principessa 04-16-2008 02:41 PM

I was totally surprised with the choose of godparents. Princess Claire was the most surprising choose for me.

lilytornado 04-16-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by principessa (Post 754547)
I was totally surprised with the choose of godparents. Princess Claire was the most surprising choose for me.

Yes, really surprising, but also really great. I have to say recently I came to like Claire more and more, I think the royal family really appreciates her, so great choice. :smile:;)

stephanievl 04-16-2008 04:04 PM

Some more information about the godfather Sébastien Marie Marc von Westphalen zu Fürstenberg was born at Bonn (Germany) on September 5th, 1964. He is the first son and second child of Count Giesbert (°1930-) en Countess Elisabeth, née von Fürstenberg-Stammheim (°1936-).

His mother was born Elisabeth Marie Freiin von Fürstenberg, and was half Belgian, even born at Francorchamps. Sébastien is a count himself and since 1998 is married to Vinciane d'Harcourt (* 1968) of the counts d'Harcourt from France. They have three sons: Gaudens (* 2000), Nicodème (* 2003) and Tassilo (* 2005).

Fie 04-16-2008 04:35 PM

The fact that they chose three godparents for their daughter surprised me as well. I really thought they were going to go with two godparents again as is tradion with catholics and the Belgian Royal Family as well. Wouldn't surprise me though that they originally wanted count Sébastien and Crown Princess Victoria but remembered the big stirr Prince Laurent caused when he announced he was planning to ask a muslim as a godparent to Princess Louise when she was born.

My original guess was Princess Maria Laura and the husband of Elisabeth d'Udekem d'Acoz, but I also thought that they could ask Marie Cavallier as a godmother as the baby was born on Margrethe's birthday and Marie Cavallier is still a Catholic as far is we know (although it is expected that she will convert prior to the wedding on May 24).

My guess is that we will get an explanation on the choice of godparents when Mathilde leaves the hospital. No date is known as of yet, but my guess would be this Saturday or next Monday at the latest.

christinacg 04-16-2008 04:44 PM

Just wanted to say that reading the title of this thiread made me smile, because Princess Eléonore of Belgium sounds so beautiful and regal.

magnik 04-16-2008 04:56 PM

As for Claire I'm not surprised. It looks that both like each other.
I thought that maybe Maxima becouse frendship of the Princess of the Netherlands and the Duchess of Brabant.
As for the godfather I thought that will be Lorenz or maybe Alfonso.

PrincessofEurope 04-16-2008 06:23 PM

it was really a very big surprise that Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is to be a godmother cause i thought that if they had a non-belgium royal it would have been a catholic

Rebafan81 04-16-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilytornado (Post 754482)
It stands for "Her Imperial and Royal Highness"
She gets the "imperial" title through her father. She is a Princess of Belgium through her mother, and through her father "Archduchess of Austria-Este, Princess Imperial of Austria, Princess Royal of Hungary and Bohemia, Princess of Modena "

Thank you lilytornado, you always give such great answers and information, much appreciated.

Aurora810 04-16-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne (Post 754171)
The Godparents: Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Claire of Belgium. graaf Sébastien von Westphalen zu Fürstenberg

Is it two Godmothers because Victoria is not catholic?

I'm confused! Are these for real? I know many have jumped on this post thinking it's official, but I'm just wondering if it is that norwegianne is guessing just like everyone else or if this is indeed the real godparents? I don't see why this baby would get 3 godparents when the others only got 2. And also this family has stayed pretty much within the family as much as possible too so I think it's kind of weird that CP Victoria would be choosen especially for a 4th child. I was thinking that they simply liked the name Victoria and that there was no real connection.

Madame Royale 04-16-2008 08:27 PM

Everyone wants a piece of Victoria...:rolleyes:

Rice 04-16-2008 08:53 PM

I am confused by the 2 godmothers myself. That's not typically the norm in the Catholic faith. And, as was pointed out, not very usual to have a "non-Catholic" godparent.
Oh well, to each is own. A child can never have too much love and guidance around them right?

Aurora810 04-17-2008 12:49 AM

Okay so I guess it is true that Victoria will be godmother to this baby. I find this to be a very odd choice that does not match well with this family or this child's birth order. Strange!

Had she been choosen years ago for Elisabeth I could see that. Future Queen godmother to another future queen, that would have made sense!

norwegianne 04-17-2008 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurora810 (Post 754687)
I'm confused! Are these for real? I know many have jumped on this post thinking it's official, but I'm just wondering if it is that norwegianne is guessing just like everyone else or if this is indeed the real godparents? I don't see why this baby would get 3 godparents when the others only got 2. And also this family has stayed pretty much within the family as much as possible too so I think it's kind of weird that CP Victoria would be choosen especially for a 4th child. I was thinking that they simply liked the name Victoria and that there was no real connection.

My names were taken from the public release that I translated from Dutch to English in the thread of Eléonore's birth. No guessing :flowers:

princess leonor 05-01-2008 10:42 AM

I was just wondering, does anyone know yet when the christening will actually take place, or has no announcements been made yet to that respect?

sm1939 05-01-2008 11:47 AM

sorry about asking this , so godparents are Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Claire ? any men

princess leonor 05-01-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm1939 (Post 760777)
sorry about asking this , so godparents are Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Claire ? any men

See Norwegianne's post some pages ago, it says:

Marchesina 05-01-2008 01:41 PM

Maybe I'm late, but I want to show my opinion too. When I heard that CP vctoria has been chosen as godmother for the little Eleonore,I was very suprised because I know that belgian royal family is very religious and devote catholic. So, according to catholic tradition, godparents had to be catholic and they had to be two,a man and a woman.

HRH Kerry 05-01-2008 03:52 PM

I think we all are shocked with the choice of Crown Princess Victoria being one of the godparents. Shocked but pleasantly surprised.

paola 05-01-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRH Kerry (Post 760919)
I think we all are shocked with the choice of Crown Princess Victoria being one of the godparents. Shocked but pleasantly surprised.

Shocked??? Why should we be shocked???

Suprised? Yes. Probably it was a great wish of the couple to have Princess Victoria as a godparent. So they don't go for the usual this time. Good for them!

magnik 05-01-2008 04:57 PM

Yes. Why we should? I think that we was much more surprised when Laurent and Claire choose a Muslim (or not Resa Pahlavi II) for godfather of his Louise.