The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Was 'The Oval' in Althorp the right place to bury Diana? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f38/was-the-oval-in-althorp-the-right-place-to-bury-diana-13507.html)

selrahc4 08-12-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 652347)
Or she could have gone down the Queen Marie of Romania road who had her heart buried in one palace and had her heart buried in another.

Wow, an extra one. Truly a "Queen of Hearts". :ermm:

BeatrixFan 08-12-2007 02:18 PM

:lol: Body in one, heart in another. Unless she was Vulcan. Which I don't think she was.

love_cc 08-12-2007 04:21 PM

If Prince William and Prince Harry want to move Diana's tomb, it is their decision. I think Althorp is a good choice because it has enough room for people to gather and meomorize Diana apart from royal family members.Earl Spencer does have a musuem for Diana, doesn't he ? I don't think Althorp is a very lonely or isolated place,it was what Sarah Bradford and Tina Brown wanted to color the isolation and loneliness of Diana's life. I would use quietness to descirbe Althorp. It is a private place which is good.

BeatrixFan 08-12-2007 04:25 PM

I doubt they'd move her. Though it depends on the form in which was buried. Was she buried buried or cremated and then buried? The latter becomes difficult if the remains have been taken out of the urn but some people bury the urn which is easy to move. If she was buried then it'd mean exhumation, putting her in a new coffin and then a mini-funeral to transport and relocate. It's possible but the logistics maybe would distress too many people.

TheTruth 08-12-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 652750)
I doubt they'd move her. Though it depends on the form in which was buried. Was she buried buried or cremated and then buried? The latter becomes difficult if the remains have been taken out of the urn but some people bury the urn which is easy to move. If she was buried then it'd mean exhumation, putting her in a new coffin and then a mini-funeral to transport and relocate. It's possible but the logistics maybe would distress too many people.

I think she was only buried BeatrixFan. Exhumation is a weird process. I don't think William and Harry would take this decision. Even if the relationship with the Spencer is not very good, they are always welcomed at Althorp IMO.
Does anyone know for sure if they returned there after the funeral (I'm sure they did but can't remember reading it anywhere) ?

Roslyn 08-12-2007 07:28 PM

Oh, goodness! I find the idea of digging bodies up and shifting them about quite distasteful! Mind you, I find the idea of burying them in the first place distasteful; I think cremation and scattering the ashes is a much better idea. But I know lots of people prefer burial and abhor cremation.

The way I see it, the poor woman is dead and has been for a long time. She only lives on in people's hearts and memories and books, and that occurs where the people are who are doing the remembering or reading, not where she was buried. But then I come from a family that doesn't visit graves.

I think they should be allowed to stay where she was first interred. A lot of thought went into where she would be laid to rest at the time when it mattered.

BeatrixFan 08-12-2007 08:25 PM

It isn't new where Royals are concerned though. Even now, there are plans by Crown Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia to exhume and rebury his father. It happens quite alot as sometimes country situations change or people feel decisions were too hasty when the person died. For example, if the UK became a Republic, the bodies of members of the Royal Family might be moved from Frogmore to one of the family owned estates.

sirhon11234 08-12-2007 10:16 PM

The government could actually do that. Why?

BeatrixFan 08-12-2007 10:49 PM

Well, I was just using it as an example but when a Royal Family is deposed, it's sometimes their decision to relocate and to relocate recently deceased members of the family or vice versa. For example, Crown Prince Alexander has been allowed to return and to take residence in a Royal Palace so he's now moving his father from America to Serbia. But it can work the other way. If King William and Queen Whoever moved to France in exile, he might choose to relocate his mother to their estate there. In the event that he stayed in the UK, he'd be entitled to Sandringham and Balmoral when Windsor etc was made state property (real state property that is). If it happened tomorrow, the Queen may choose to have her father, mother and sister exhumed and reburied in a family mausoleum in the grounds of Balmoral. So it's entirely possible for Royal bodies to be moved around and happened alot in the last century as a result of so many Royal Families being deposed. Of course, it all depends on how amicable the parting is.

TheTruth 08-13-2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roslyn (Post 652805)
Oh, goodness! I find the idea of digging bodies up and shifting them about quite distasteful! Mind you, I find the idea of burying them in the first place distasteful;

Yes, I agree. By the way, according to the several assassination theories surrounding her death, I'm surprised that not one crazy police inspector came up with the idea of exhumation. That process is often done when the death of someone, especially in criminal cases, is doubtful or another autopsy has to be made.

GillW 08-13-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 652750)
I doubt they'd move her. Though it depends on the form in which was buried. Was she buried buried or cremated and then buried? The latter becomes difficult if the remains have been taken out of the urn but some people bury the urn which is easy to move. If she was buried then it'd mean exhumation, putting her in a new coffin and then a mini-funeral to transport and relocate. It's possible but the logistics maybe would distress too many people.

Her body was buried on the island in a lead lined coffin - NO cremation as per her specific request.

It's not that easy under English law to get and exhumation order...I suppose if you happen to be the King (William) it might be a bit easier, but I still can't feel that he would ever disturb her remains.

GillW 08-13-2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth (Post 652760)
I think she was only buried BeatrixFan. Exhumation is a weird process. I don't think William and Harry would take this decision. Even if the relationship with the Spencer is not very good, they are always welcomed at Althorp IMO.
Does anyone know for sure if they returned there after the funeral (I'm sure they did but can't remember reading it anywhere) ?

I assume you mean in the years since the funeral rather than immediately following the funeral (when they certainlly were there) It has been reported that Harry has been several times to visit, William less frequently. The visits are kept private and "out of season" to avoid the public visitors.

TheTruth 08-13-2007 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GillW (Post 652988)
I assume you mean in the years since the funeral rather than immediately following the funeral (when they certainlly were there) It has been reported that Harry has been several times to visit, William less frequently. The visits are kept private and "out of season" to avoid the public visitors.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info :flowers:. At least when they go over there, they can't be disturbed by people. That's quite an advantage.

TheTruth 08-13-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GillW (Post 652985)
It's not that easy under English law to get and exhumation order...I suppose if you happen to be the King (William) it might be a bit easier, but I still can't feel that he would ever disturb her remains.

Yes, I believe that also. Here's a PDF document on laws in the UK, concerning burial with a part on 'Exhumation and disturbance after burial'
https://www.justice.gov.uk/docs/burial-law-policy.pdf

It seems quite complicated to get the authorisation to do such process.

Jo of Palatine 08-13-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 652697)
:lol: Body in one, heart in another. Unless she was Vulcan. Which I don't think she was.

The Habsburgs used to be buried in three parts: the heart in the Church of the Court St. Augustin, the rest of the intestines in the Cathedral of St. Stephan and the body in the crypt of the Capucine Church.

scooter 08-13-2007 10:55 AM

I actually just read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth's father was not interred until 17 years after his death. Does anyone know if that's true? Aparantly the Duke of Windsor was not allowed to come because of the whole Wallis issue.

GillW 08-13-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth (Post 652993)
Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for the info :flowers:. At least when they go over there, they can't be disturbed by people. That's quite an advantage.

Plus they can use the boat and really go and sit where they know the exact spot where she actually lies (very few people know that) in absolute privacy.

sesa 08-13-2007 01:30 PM

I truely hope that William or anyone else for that matter, never disturbe her remains. Hopefully she is at piece with her privacy and solitude.
I'm glad that they buried her out of the "spot light" so to speak.
Only family and hopefully close friends will be able to vist her, which is what she really wanted to begin with.
I think that if they had buried her where the public could visit, there would be people who would try to do something stupid to her grave. Either out of love for her (to have a part of her to remember her or to sell) or if someone disliked her, they would probably try to desecrate her grave or headstone or whatever.
So for reasons like this, I'm glad she is where she is.

selrahc4 08-13-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter (Post 653031)
I actually just read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth's father was not interred until 17 years after his death. Does anyone know if that's true? Aparantly the Duke of Windsor was not allowed to come because of the whole Wallis issue.

From the Hugo Vickers biography of the Queen Mother:
Quote:

Consideration was now [1968] given to the final resting place of King George VI, and, when the time came, of Queen Elizabeth [Queen Mother] herself. Since his funeral in 1952, the King's coffin had lain in the Royal Vault underneath St George's Chapel. Now it was decided that the King needed a special burial place. ...
In 1968 work began on the King George VI Memorial Chapel. ...
In March 1969, the Royal Vault was opened and the King's coffin brought up and placed in the new tomb. On 31 March the Royal Family and the Knights of the Garter gathered for the dedication service. The Duke of Windsor did not come from Paris, though he was invited...

Roslyn 08-13-2007 07:45 PM

When coffins lie in a vault, I think they are just set on a slab or in an outer sarcophagus. If this is the case, they are not really buried, so I don't have a problem with moving them later. I think the practice is fairly gross, mind you, but it's not the same as digging the coffin up and then burying it somewhere else.........and certainly nowhere near as bad as what those Habsburgs did.:eek:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises