The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Family of Spain (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/relationships-between-members-of-the-spanish-royal-family-13487.html)

Avalon 08-06-2007 01:49 PM

Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family
 
The thread is for discussing the relationships between different members of the Spanish Royal Family.

While we always appreciate and value each and every singe person's opinion, remember that the way you express your opinion is vital - polite and civil discussion is key to success.
Also remember that you must respect others' opinions, whether you agree or not.

And finally, try to back up your opinion and your claims with pictures or perhaps trustworthy sources.


Enjoy the thread!
Spanish Forums Moderators - Anna_R ; Merezdote ; Ennyllorac and Avalon

Saphire 08-06-2007 02:03 PM

I've read before that Infanta Cristina and Princess Letizia do not enjoy a close relationship, does anybody know if this is true?

acdc1 08-06-2007 02:06 PM

I don't know, but in every single situation for royals, it's like that. The women who have been in the family longer always "hate" the newcommer. It's going on in the Danish royal family right now. Cristina and Letizia may not see each other very often, or not have anything in commen, etc.

LadyFinn 08-06-2007 02:40 PM

I posted from the relationship between king Juan Carlos and princess Letizia to another thread. Sometimes it feels that the king doesnīt like Letizia so much, he seems so distant and he is often standing so far away from Letizia at the official photos, but thatīs because of the protocol, I think.
But Letizia and the King have also had some moments of closeness, sometimes even funny moments. Here are some pictures:

From Corbis:
Clintonīs visit to Spain
Letiziaīs first public appearance
From Isifa:
Erikasīs funeral
Regatta last summer
Regatta 2
State visit from Argentina
ANP Beeldbank
Leonorīs baptism

I donīt think the King dislikes Letizia, I think they are at least at polite terms.

Elsa M. 08-06-2007 05:06 PM

A few more of Juan Carlos interacting with his daughter-in-law:
https://www.abc.es/galerias/espana/me....284940245.JPG
https://img178.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._123_429lo.jpg
https://img176.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._123_598lo.jpg
(photos from Terra and Abc)


Honestly, I don't see the king acting any different with Letizia than with Iņaki or Jaime... it's just natural that's he's more at ease with his own daughters than with his inlaws.

planetcher 08-07-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elsa M. (Post 650454)


Honestly, I don't see the king acting any different with Letizia than with Iņaki or Jaime... it's just natural that's he's more at ease with his own daughters than with his inlaws.

Good point. I don't understand why people are making a big fuss about the King not interacting with Letizia in public when he does the same thing with Jaime and Inaki.

BeautyLeonor 08-07-2007 01:53 AM

I agree with you planetcher! in my opinion i think JC and Letizia have a normal relationship, they aren't like Letizia and the Queen, but they don't have any different... is simply a normal relationship!
__________________
" *Love Is Like A Rose In Winter,Only The Strong Survives* My Favorite Rose: Felipe & Letizia

Stefanie 08-07-2007 05:07 AM

Iīm worried about the relationship between Inaki and his eldest son Valentin. This boy always looks unhappy, I canīt remember the last time Iīve seen his teeth while laughing. He always seems to rebel against his father what I noticed on lots of photos. He doesnīt like to be touched by his father and so on. Just my impression.

planetcher 08-07-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefanie (Post 650612)
Iīm worried about the relationship between Inaki and his eldest son Valentin. This boy always looks unhappy, I canīt remember the last time Iīve seen his teeth while laughing. He always seems to rebel against his father what I noticed on lots of photos. He doesnīt like to be touched by his father and so on. Just my impression.

Really? I never noticed that. Maybe I should pay attention more to Juan rather than cutie-patootie Pablo.

Henri M. 08-07-2007 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 650356)
I don't know, but in every single situation for royals, it's like that. The women who have been in the family longer always "hate" the newcommer. It's going on in the Danish royal family right now.

??
Besides Queen Margrethe, there are no other ladies in the royal family to 'hate' the newcomer. Alexandra Countess Frederiksborg is no more part of the family. Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes, Princess of Denmark and Princess Benedikte zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Princess of Denmark are both married into other Houses.

I have the idea Doņa Elena and Doņa Cristina go on pleasantly with Princess Letizia.

Duke of Marmalade 08-07-2007 05:42 AM

I believe that Letizia's closest allies within the SRF are Queen Sofia and Elena. The relationship to the King seems to be normal / formal.
Not sure about Cristina, based on videos and photos from the past I believe their relationship is more difficult or at least not as close as it used to be in the beginning (Cristina supported F & L in their early stages), whatever happened, they don't look comfortable at all with each other on the rare occasions they come together and it does not help that the Urdangarins live in Barcelona. I can't recall when they were closely interacting, surely not during occasions last year such as Marivent photoshoot or even worse, at the Alzheimer event last September were they appeared to be really distant. We should not forget that the SRF for the sake of the monarchy will do anything to avoid speculations about people not getting on well with each other, meaning they will have to put on a brave face instead of showing emotions, keeping that in mind I found the interaction of Cristina and Letizia very noticeable - there was an icy atmosphere.

lula 08-07-2007 06:08 AM

Really to value the attitude of the persons, and more when the images take place before dozens of cameras .... it is very difficult. There is persons that do not feel specially comfortable in this situation.

The past Christmas a journalist was writing in a magazine that had coincided with members of the Royal Family with a club of Madrid near to Zarzuela, and that the Princess and the Infanta were very calm speaking and swinging their girls.

RaniaRocks 08-07-2007 12:59 PM

The relaxed times and friendly atmosphere from the times before Letizia are gone, Cristina and Felipe used to be best pals, everyday they are more far apart, I don't know what is happening but things are not what they used to be, you don't get to see those sisters in law eating an icecream together not even by mistake, Elena don't seems to pay much attention to this things, she have enough with Marichalar, the King put a face for two minutes and latter who knows, he dosn't seems to like the whole situation very much and you can say he can't wait for the whole circus to finish, Cristina and family are taking their own way everyday more and more, something happened there, what, who knows, they should be tired about a lot of things and Queen Sofia is fighting all the fires trying to sell Letizia and the monarchy heirs, the Queen need a vacation for the vacation, her teeth and maxillary must hurts, outch.

acdc1 08-07-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M. (Post 650621)
??
Besides Queen Margrethe, there are no other ladies in the royal family to 'hate' the newcomer. Alexandra Countess Frederiksborg is no more part of the family. Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes, Princess of Denmark and Princess Benedikte zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Princess of Denmark are both married into other Houses.

I have the idea Doņa Elena and Doņa Cristina go on pleasantly with Princess Letizia.

I should have specified that the media always makes it seem as if the lady who has been in the family the longest (wife of brother, sister-in-law, mothers-in-law, etc.) hates the newcomer into the family. In Denmark, they say it's Mary against Marie, and before it was Alexandra against Mary, but that's a discussion for another time and place. In this case, they say Cristina and Letizia don't like each other. It may be true, that they're in a rift, some personalities just don't get along together. But what is most likely the case is that they like each other fine, are not best friends, but get along ok. You see Elena acting with Letizia more because her children are older and more self-sufficient. Cristina has her hands full with the three boys, who are pretty ok, but she also has Irene. Irene is two, and she seems a bit less extroverted, one of those who clings to their parents all the time, and that can be quite consuming for Mom and Dad. Letizia also has small children, Leonor, who I think would be quite fine by herself and is much less clingy, but if not controlled will probably be running all over the place. Little Sofia is just a baby, and needs her mother as well. They may talk, etc. in private, but it's rather hard to talk in a photoshoot or other public event when you have four, or even one, wild child to control!

royaltywatcher 08-07-2007 04:20 PM

I've noticed over the years that there is very little interaction between Elena and Cristina. Lots between both infantas and their brother, both infantas and the queen and both infantas and the king, but very little between the two sisters. I don't necessarily think they don't get along, but you would think two sisters would be together socially occasionally, would talk at events, etc., but I don't see much of that.

lula 08-07-2007 04:29 PM

The families change and change the relations, because we are not the same persons at the age of 20 bachelors and without responsibilities, that to the 40 with a couple, children and a work.

The Infantas Elena and Cristina are going to go on with the time to a background ... it is the logical evolution ... before the Infanta Cristina was going to the Nautic Club every day, last and this year, only one has gone. For her and for her family it is an authentic liberation, to continue enjoying the vacations, without inconveniences.

A few years ago, it was very strange to see the Infantas doing slightly together, now they have children of age similar whom they try to join often in order that they play together. Irene still is too little, sometimes they leave her in house and she finishes remaining with the grandmother and with the aunt Letizia to pass time with Leonor.

The Infantas have a type of life different, with another type of responsibilities, with more freedom and fewer pressure of the press and of the public opinion.

The Princes of Asturias have increasingly acts, two little girls, measured of safety more forts and many pressure of the press. Their life is more limited. Initially the Princess was going home of her mother, or was travelling to Asturias to visit her grandmother ... but now with two babies it is family the one that is going to visit her to Zarzuela.

On the other hand, it is normal that the Queen appears more publicly with the Princes ... because it is the Queen, they the Princes and the girls Infantas of Spain. It in the institutional and official plane. On the other hand, it is logical that the Princess of Asturias has a nearby relation with the Queen Sofia or with the Princess Irena ... because they are seen every day ... while she can see the Infanta Elena 1 day a week because they live in the same city and to the Infanta Cristina once a month.

Duke of Marmalade 08-07-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaniaRocks (Post 650786)
The relaxed times and friendly atmosphere from the times before Letizia are gone, Cristina and Felipe used to be best pals, everyday they are more far apart, I don't know what is happening but things are not what they used to be, you don't get to see those sisters in law eating an icecream together not even by mistake, Elena don't seems to pay much attention to this things, she have enough with Marichalar, the King put a face for two minutes and latter who knows, he dosn't seems to like the whole situation very much and you can say he can't wait for the whole circus to finish, Cristina and family are taking their own way everyday more and more, something happened there, what, who knows, they should be tired about a lot of things and Queen Sofia is fighting all the fires trying to sell Letizia and the monarchy heirs, the Queen need a vacation for the vacation, her teeth and maxillary must hurts, outch.

That pretty much covers it IMO and it's not too different from normal families where some siblings get along well and others don't. The only difference for the SRF is that if they want to fight out their dissents they have to do it behind closed doors and put on a brave face when being in public because first and foremost there is the monarchy and the image. Whatever Spaniards would think if SFR family members showed their disagreement with each other in public - it was not helpful for the future of the monarchy, that's for sure. So they do what they have to do, bear it and smile, let the circus pass, some members more, others less. The King very much minds his own business so it's up to Sofia to keep the family together. She seems to get on well with Letizia and I don't question that but on the other hand, what happened if she did not? Sofia would never ever show that she disliked her daughter in law in public because, back to start, this would ruin her standing as PoA completely and as a consequence be a major blow for a future King and Queen of Spain. Not so easy, eh?

lula 08-07-2007 05:14 PM

Already we have commented that the King is a man, who for age and education, already passes a bit from these things. The Queen lives enchanted surrounded with all her grandchildren. She is the one that has taken always more the weight of the family, and it is the normal thing.

I believe that in general the Royal Family does not feel comfortable with this excess of media pressure, when the Princes and daughters are, the press raises the level of madness. The family photo was not done since Froilán was 1 year old ... and now it has returned to be done.

On the relation of the Queen and the Princes, always this relation is conceived as the support of the Queen to the Princes, and one never sees the relation in the inverse way. The Queen always has been alone enough, on everything after her daughters went away of house, though she continued having Felipe. The companion of the Queen is the Princess Irene, but she neither has a very narrow relation with her sisters-in-law nor has many friends in Madrid. Now the Queen has his son, a daughter-in-law with whom to share conversation and two granddaughters whom she can see every day.

RaniaRocks 08-07-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 650859)
That pretty much covers it IMO and it's not too different from normal families where some siblings get along well and others don't. The only difference for the SRF is that if they want to fight out their dissents they have to do it behind closed doors and put on a brave face when being in public because first and foremost there is the monarchy and the image. Whatever Spaniards would think if SFR family members showed their disagreement with each other in public - it was not helpful for the future of the monarchy, that's for sure. So they do what they have to do, bear it and smile, let the circus pass, some members more, others less. The King very much minds his own business so it's up to Sofia to keep the family together. She seems to get on well with Letizia and I don't question that but on the other hand, what happened if she did not? Sofia would never ever show that she disliked her daughter in law in public because, back to start, this would ruin her standing as PoA completely and as a consequence be a major blow for a future King and Queen of Spain. Not so easy, eh?

No, not easy at all, but Queen Sofia is such a professional that she will rather goes with Letizia and the girls (not that that will be an unpleasant task) that spent time with their daughters as in other summers, because after the El Jueves polemic, the article saying that Letizia and the King had zero feeling between them etc etc Letizia, Felipe and by extension the girls needs reassurance and since Letizia dosn't have any known friend or family in Palma and the sisters in law are minding their own business somebody had to be with her.

I know you will understand my point since this summer we never really get to see and-or swallow the whole family thing, as other years, they were all kind of appart, in little clans.

RaniaRocks 08-07-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefanie (Post 650612)
Iīm worried about the relationship between Inaki and his eldest son Valentin. This boy always looks unhappy, I canīt remember the last time Iīve seen his teeth while laughing. He always seems to rebel against his father what I noticed on lots of photos. He doesnīt like to be touched by his father and so on. Just my impression.

Oh I never had that impression and if you look at this picture I dosn't seems to be any problems with those two.

Iņaki and Juan Valentin
Juan Valentin all smiles with Froilan

Getty and El Mundo.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises