The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Family of Spain (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f21/relationships-between-members-of-the-spanish-royal-family-13487.html)

kil 05-09-2004 11:27 AM

Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

I have the impression that the Queen Sofia and the King Juan Carlos have a preference for the 3 little boys of Cristina ?

What do you think about my impression ?!! :huh:

Alexandria 05-09-2004 11:42 AM

What gives you this impression?

Not knowing what made you come to this conclusion, my personal impression is that depending on where their royal duties take them, the King and Queen spend whatever time they can with their grandchildren. If they are in Barecelona where Cristina and Inaki live, they spend time with their three sons. But if in Madrid (is that where Elena lives? or is it Seville?) they spend time with Froilan and Victoria.

I think, too, that Cristina's interest in sailing is more in tune with the King's passion for sailing (father and daughter have competed against each other in regalas before), so if Cristina and Inaki take their children with them to these sailing events and the King and Queen attend, whether as participants, watchers or to give out the awards, they are sure to run into their youngest daughter and her family.

Elena on the other hand, is very much into equestrian events which the King and Queen don't seem as keen on. But recently the Queen did take Froilan and Victoria to the zoo so she "compensates" in some other way.

kil 05-09-2004 01:44 PM

I see what you mean ;)
Probably I have that impression because there are more pics of the sons of Cristina on magazines with their grandparents ? (as you said , because Cristina and Iñaki bring their kids to the sailing events )

But I also notice that even when there are all the 5 grandchilds , they seem to be closer to the three little boys .....
The Queen Sofia have more attention for Juan , Pablo and Miguel ...

Maybe this impression also comes from the fact that rumors pretend Juan Carlos and Sofia are closer to Cristina (have a preference for their second daughter ??? ) so they do the same with her kids ??

Alexandria 05-09-2004 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kil@May 9th, 2004 - 1:44 pm
But I also notice that even when there are all the 5 grandchilds , they seem to be closer to the three little boys .....
The Queen Sofia have more attention for Juan , Pablo and Miguel ...

Crisitna's kids may simply be more outgoing and responsive to their grandparents than Elena's kids. Not that the grandparents don't try, but just the personality and nature of Juanito, Pablo and Miguel to be more affectionate publicly than Froilan and Victoria.

But I actually, I think when all the grandkids are together, more attention is paid to Victoria--the only granddaughter and Miguel--the youngest of the grandkids.

Quote:

Maybe this impression also comes from the fact that rumors pretend Juan Carlos and Sofia are closer to Cristina (have a preference for their second daughter ??? ) so they do the same with her kids ??
I have never heard these rumours. Could you please elaborate and tell us where you heard these rumours? I have read that Cristina and Elena are certainly two very different people despite being sisters. For example, Elena is the most like her father: loves bull fights, is very particular about protocol, a perfectionist, likes things done a particular way, smokes. While Cristina is more like her mother: Very health-conscious (both mother and daughter are vegetarians), does not smoke, is sporty and laid back. But to say that the King and Queen play favourites with their children is a very serious "allegation" to make.

Portuguese Member 05-10-2004 12:29 PM

Hello!

I think you think :wacko: that because you've seen more pictures of the granparents with Cristina's children because they were taken in regatas where Cristina and the King participated.
You must not forget that Infanta Elena spent lots of time leaving abroad (NY) and there weren't so many occasion for photographing them all together.
But, lately, I don't know if this is a pronounce of what we think will happen after Felipe's marriage (that Elena is getting divorced from Jaime Marichalar) we've seen the King and the Queen very "wrapping" around Elena's son and daughter.

In an Easter photograph the Queen puts her hand over Froilan's shoulder and the King is always listening to what the children are saying. In the following week we've seen the children in a zoo visit with them.

One thing is certain HRH King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are excellent parents and granparents. :flower:

Regards,

From Portugal!

kil 05-10-2004 03:12 PM

Yes, you're probably right ... that , I have this impression because there are more pics of the 3 little boys !!!! they are so cute .... so maybe , photogaphs , take them more ??? :rolleyes:

I didn't know that Elena and Jaime have to get divorced after the marriage of Felipe ?????? is that sure ???????

And Alexandria , I read once , that on the contrary , the king prefer Cristina ......
Anyway , it's quite "stupid" to say prefer ..... cause when you have 3 kids you love each of them .. differently ...... but all ;)
Maybe the King and the Queen prefer to be with Cristina's boys ... but of course , I'm sure they love Elena's kids ;)

Thanks for your answer .. and your impression about my subject .... ;)

Alexandria 05-10-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kil@May 10th, 2004 - 3:12 pm
And Alexandria , I read once , that on the contrary , the king prefer Cristina ......
I am just curious to know why the article you read said the King and Queen prefer Cristina over Elena. And what is the source anyway? I am curious to know if the source is a credible one or not.

kil 05-10-2004 03:53 PM

I'll be enable to remember where I read that rumor .... sorry ! :blush:
Probably in "Point de Vue" .. a french magazine .... I'll try to find it , because I keep all my magazines about royals ... and if I've got it .. I'll come to tell you ;)

Just to know .. who is the man on the picture you have near your screen name ??

Alexandria 05-10-2004 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kil@May 10th, 2004 - 3:53 pm
I'll be enable to remember where I read that rumor .... sorry ! :blush:
Probably in "Point de Vue" .. a french magazine .... I'll try to find it , because I keep all my magazines about royals ... and if I've got it .. I'll come to tell you ;)

Thank you, kil, I'd appreciate that.

Not being too familiar with Point de Vue myself, would you (or anyone else) say that it is a reliable publication? Or more like a tabloid?

Quote:

Just to know .. who is the man on the picture you have near your screen name ??
My avatar is of Prince Maurits of the Netherlands, son of Princess Margriet, sister of Queen Beatrix.

crisiñaki 12-23-2005 01:29 AM

Children Preference?

Is true that Queen Sofía prefers Prince Felipe and that King Juan Carlos is very fond of Cristina?

Margrethe II 12-23-2005 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisiñaki
Is true that Queen Sofía prefers Prince Felipe and that King Juan Carlos is very fond of Cristina?

I certainly hope not...

"MII"

ally_cooper 12-23-2005 06:50 AM

I've heard that for a long time, centainly...seems true

melissajames 12-23-2005 06:59 AM

May be its the 'mummy's boy' and 'daddy's girl' thing....;)

Elsa M. 12-23-2005 09:21 AM

Quote:

That is the kind of question that nobody here can answer. Discuss if a mother prefers a child to another seems nonsense to me, if not cruel...

Juanita 12-23-2005 09:36 AM

Quote:

I read once that Prince Felipe is "el ojito derecho" (the right eye) of Queen Sofia, and i supposed that he is the favourite of the Queen because he wil be King and because he was the boy that everybody was waiting!
And on the photos of this summer we can see that Elena isn't present... and we can see also the union of the King and the Queen with the Prince and with Cristina... well Elena wasn't there but even like that, i think that Elena is very far from her family!

I also think that the Queen is closer to the children of Cristina than the children of Elena, but that it can be because Cristina leaves in Barcelona and Elena leaves in Madrid, so the Kings can see the children of Elena every day and the children of Cristina they can't see them every day!

Ariel 12-23-2005 11:28 AM

Elsa is right when she says it is cruel to say a parent prefers one child to another. The only sad thing is that it happens a lot. Not just with royal families but with commoners! (all muggles at the end!). I just hope parents get councious about this and try to avoid doing it in front of their children or in public as it can be very frustrating for the affected child, not just the one that you dont prefer but also for the one that you do. I dont know about the spanish royal family, hopefully it is not like that. Many rumors are usually merely based in few photos that can be taken as proof.

Gloriana 12-24-2005 10:15 AM

This is one of the problems with having male-preferred or salic succession laws. The girls are just never considered 'good enough'. It's cruel.:mad:

princess olga 12-24-2005 03:12 PM

Kil, I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but this whole topic is unsubstantiated and therefore, IMHO, downright mean. I love gossip as much as the next person, but there's no evidence as far as I can tell, to back up the gist of this topic.

crisiñaki 12-25-2005 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess olga
Kil, I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but this whole topic is unsubstantiated and therefore, IMHO, downright mean. I love gossip as much as the next person, but there's no evidence as far as I can tell, to back up the gist of this topic.

There's an article at El Mundo about the King's preference for Cristina (the date is about 1992 or something like that) because she is his youngest daughter and has always been very close to him, if anyone is able to find the article I will be very thankful...

JAMES99 04-14-2006 10:36 AM

I think it happens in many families that parents are closer to one of their children because they are more easy going or they share common interests. As for the princess of spain i dont think the photos show their relation with their parents but their personalities. It seems to me christina is more outgoing and in ease with media and others while elena is more conservative.

Avalon 08-06-2007 01:49 PM

Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

The thread is for discussing the relationships between different members of the Spanish Royal Family.

While we always appreciate and value each and every singe person's opinion, remember that the way you express your opinion is vital - polite and civil discussion is key to success.
Also remember that you must respect others' opinions, whether you agree or not.

And finally, try to back up your opinion and your claims with pictures or perhaps trustworthy sources.

Enjoy the thread!
Spanish Forums Moderators - Anna_R ; Merezdote ; Ennyllorac and Avalon

Saphire 08-06-2007 02:03 PM

I've read before that Infanta Cristina and Princess Letizia do not enjoy a close relationship, does anybody know if this is true?

acdc1 08-06-2007 02:06 PM

I don't know, but in every single situation for royals, it's like that. The women who have been in the family longer always "hate" the newcommer. It's going on in the Danish royal family right now. Cristina and Letizia may not see each other very often, or not have anything in commen, etc.

LadyFinn 08-06-2007 02:40 PM

I posted from the relationship between king Juan Carlos and princess Letizia to another thread. Sometimes it feels that the king doesn´t like Letizia so much, he seems so distant and he is often standing so far away from Letizia at the official photos, but that´s because of the protocol, I think.
But Letizia and the King have also had some moments of closeness, sometimes even funny moments. Here are some pictures:

From Corbis:
Clinton´s visit to Spain
Letizia´s first public appearance
From Isifa:
Erikas´s funeral
Regatta last summer
Regatta 2
State visit from Argentina
ANP Beeldbank
Leonor´s baptism

I don´t think the King dislikes Letizia, I think they are at least at polite terms.

Elsa M. 08-06-2007 05:06 PM

A few more of Juan Carlos interacting with his daughter-in-law:
https://www.abc.es/galerias/espana/me....284940245.JPG
https://img178.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._123_429lo.jpg
https://img176.imagevenue.com/view.ph..._123_598lo.jpg
(photos from Terra and Abc)

Honestly, I don't see the king acting any different with Letizia than with Iñaki or Jaime... it's just natural that's he's more at ease with his own daughters than with his inlaws.

planetcher 08-07-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elsa M. (Post 650454)

Honestly, I don't see the king acting any different with Letizia than with Iñaki or Jaime... it's just natural that's he's more at ease with his own daughters than with his inlaws.

Good point. I don't understand why people are making a big fuss about the King not interacting with Letizia in public when he does the same thing with Jaime and Inaki.

BeautyLeonor 08-07-2007 01:53 AM

I agree with you planetcher! in my opinion i think JC and Letizia have a normal relationship, they aren't like Letizia and the Queen, but they don't have any different... is simply a normal relationship!

Stefanie 08-07-2007 05:07 AM

I´m worried about the relationship between Inaki and his eldest son Valentin. This boy always looks unhappy, I can´t remember the last time I´ve seen his teeth while laughing. He always seems to rebel against his father what I noticed on lots of photos. He doesn´t like to be touched by his father and so on. Just my impression.

planetcher 08-07-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefanie (Post 650612)
I´m worried about the relationship between Inaki and his eldest son Valentin. This boy always looks unhappy, I can´t remember the last time I´ve seen his teeth while laughing. He always seems to rebel against his father what I noticed on lots of photos. He doesn´t like to be touched by his father and so on. Just my impression.

Really? I never noticed that. Maybe I should pay attention more to Juan rather than cutie-patootie Pablo.

Henri M. 08-07-2007 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 650356)
I don't know, but in every single situation for royals, it's like that. The women who have been in the family longer always "hate" the newcommer. It's going on in the Danish royal family right now.

??
Besides Queen Margrethe, there are no other ladies in the royal family to 'hate' the newcomer. Alexandra Countess Frederiksborg is no more part of the family. Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes, Princess of Denmark and Princess Benedikte zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Princess of Denmark are both married into other Houses.

I have the idea Doña Elena and Doña Cristina go on pleasantly with Princess Letizia.

Duke of Marmalade 08-07-2007 05:42 AM

I believe that Letizia's closest allies within the SRF are Queen Sofia and Elena. The relationship to the King seems to be normal / formal.
Not sure about Cristina, based on videos and photos from the past I believe their relationship is more difficult or at least not as close as it used to be in the beginning (Cristina supported F & L in their early stages), whatever happened, they don't look comfortable at all with each other on the rare occasions they come together and it does not help that the Urdangarins live in Barcelona. I can't recall when they were closely interacting, surely not during occasions last year such as Marivent photoshoot or even worse, at the Alzheimer event last September were they appeared to be really distant. We should not forget that the SRF for the sake of the monarchy will do anything to avoid speculations about people not getting on well with each other, meaning they will have to put on a brave face instead of showing emotions, keeping that in mind I found the interaction of Cristina and Letizia very noticeable - there was an icy atmosphere.

lula 08-07-2007 06:08 AM

Really to value the attitude of the persons, and more when the images take place before dozens of cameras .... it is very difficult. There is persons that do not feel specially comfortable in this situation.

The past Christmas a journalist was writing in a magazine that had coincided with members of the Royal Family with a club of Madrid near to Zarzuela, and that the Princess and the Infanta were very calm speaking and swinging their girls.

RaniaRocks 08-07-2007 12:59 PM

The relaxed times and friendly atmosphere from the times before Letizia are gone, Cristina and Felipe used to be best pals, everyday they are more far apart, I don't know what is happening but things are not what they used to be, you don't get to see those sisters in law eating an icecream together not even by mistake, Elena don't seems to pay much attention to this things, she have enough with Marichalar, the King put a face for two minutes and latter who knows, he dosn't seems to like the whole situation very much and you can say he can't wait for the whole circus to finish, Cristina and family are taking their own way everyday more and more, something happened there, what, who knows, they should be tired about a lot of things and Queen Sofia is fighting all the fires trying to sell Letizia and the monarchy heirs, the Queen need a vacation for the vacation, her teeth and maxillary must hurts, outch.

acdc1 08-07-2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henri M. (Post 650621)
??
Besides Queen Margrethe, there are no other ladies in the royal family to 'hate' the newcomer. Alexandra Countess Frederiksborg is no more part of the family. Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes, Princess of Denmark and Princess Benedikte zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Princess of Denmark are both married into other Houses.

I have the idea Doña Elena and Doña Cristina go on pleasantly with Princess Letizia.

I should have specified that the media always makes it seem as if the lady who has been in the family the longest (wife of brother, sister-in-law, mothers-in-law, etc.) hates the newcomer into the family. In Denmark, they say it's Mary against Marie, and before it was Alexandra against Mary, but that's a discussion for another time and place. In this case, they say Cristina and Letizia don't like each other. It may be true, that they're in a rift, some personalities just don't get along together. But what is most likely the case is that they like each other fine, are not best friends, but get along ok. You see Elena acting with Letizia more because her children are older and more self-sufficient. Cristina has her hands full with the three boys, who are pretty ok, but she also has Irene. Irene is two, and she seems a bit less extroverted, one of those who clings to their parents all the time, and that can be quite consuming for Mom and Dad. Letizia also has small children, Leonor, who I think would be quite fine by herself and is much less clingy, but if not controlled will probably be running all over the place. Little Sofia is just a baby, and needs her mother as well. They may talk, etc. in private, but it's rather hard to talk in a photoshoot or other public event when you have four, or even one, wild child to control!

royaltywatcher 08-07-2007 04:20 PM

I've noticed over the years that there is very little interaction between Elena and Cristina. Lots between both infantas and their brother, both infantas and the queen and both infantas and the king, but very little between the two sisters. I don't necessarily think they don't get along, but you would think two sisters would be together socially occasionally, would talk at events, etc., but I don't see much of that.

lula 08-07-2007 04:29 PM

The families change and change the relations, because we are not the same persons at the age of 20 bachelors and without responsibilities, that to the 40 with a couple, children and a work.

The Infantas Elena and Cristina are going to go on with the time to a background ... it is the logical evolution ... before the Infanta Cristina was going to the Nautic Club every day, last and this year, only one has gone. For her and for her family it is an authentic liberation, to continue enjoying the vacations, without inconveniences.

A few years ago, it was very strange to see the Infantas doing slightly together, now they have children of age similar whom they try to join often in order that they play together. Irene still is too little, sometimes they leave her in house and she finishes remaining with the grandmother and with the aunt Letizia to pass time with Leonor.

The Infantas have a type of life different, with another type of responsibilities, with more freedom and fewer pressure of the press and of the public opinion.

The Princes of Asturias have increasingly acts, two little girls, measured of safety more forts and many pressure of the press. Their life is more limited. Initially the Princess was going home of her mother, or was travelling to Asturias to visit her grandmother ... but now with two babies it is family the one that is going to visit her to Zarzuela.

On the other hand, it is normal that the Queen appears more publicly with the Princes ... because it is the Queen, they the Princes and the girls Infantas of Spain. It in the institutional and official plane. On the other hand, it is logical that the Princess of Asturias has a nearby relation with the Queen Sofia or with the Princess Irena ... because they are seen every day ... while she can see the Infanta Elena 1 day a week because they live in the same city and to the Infanta Cristina once a month.

Duke of Marmalade 08-07-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaniaRocks (Post 650786)
The relaxed times and friendly atmosphere from the times before Letizia are gone, Cristina and Felipe used to be best pals, everyday they are more far apart, I don't know what is happening but things are not what they used to be, you don't get to see those sisters in law eating an icecream together not even by mistake, Elena don't seems to pay much attention to this things, she have enough with Marichalar, the King put a face for two minutes and latter who knows, he dosn't seems to like the whole situation very much and you can say he can't wait for the whole circus to finish, Cristina and family are taking their own way everyday more and more, something happened there, what, who knows, they should be tired about a lot of things and Queen Sofia is fighting all the fires trying to sell Letizia and the monarchy heirs, the Queen need a vacation for the vacation, her teeth and maxillary must hurts, outch.

That pretty much covers it IMO and it's not too different from normal families where some siblings get along well and others don't. The only difference for the SRF is that if they want to fight out their dissents they have to do it behind closed doors and put on a brave face when being in public because first and foremost there is the monarchy and the image. Whatever Spaniards would think if SFR family members showed their disagreement with each other in public - it was not helpful for the future of the monarchy, that's for sure. So they do what they have to do, bear it and smile, let the circus pass, some members more, others less. The King very much minds his own business so it's up to Sofia to keep the family together. She seems to get on well with Letizia and I don't question that but on the other hand, what happened if she did not? Sofia would never ever show that she disliked her daughter in law in public because, back to start, this would ruin her standing as PoA completely and as a consequence be a major blow for a future King and Queen of Spain. Not so easy, eh?

lula 08-07-2007 05:14 PM

Already we have commented that the King is a man, who for age and education, already passes a bit from these things. The Queen lives enchanted surrounded with all her grandchildren. She is the one that has taken always more the weight of the family, and it is the normal thing.

I believe that in general the Royal Family does not feel comfortable with this excess of media pressure, when the Princes and daughters are, the press raises the level of madness. The family photo was not done since Froilán was 1 year old ... and now it has returned to be done.

On the relation of the Queen and the Princes, always this relation is conceived as the support of the Queen to the Princes, and one never sees the relation in the inverse way. The Queen always has been alone enough, on everything after her daughters went away of house, though she continued having Felipe. The companion of the Queen is the Princess Irene, but she neither has a very narrow relation with her sisters-in-law nor has many friends in Madrid. Now the Queen has his son, a daughter-in-law with whom to share conversation and two granddaughters whom she can see every day.

RaniaRocks 08-07-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 650859)
That pretty much covers it IMO and it's not too different from normal families where some siblings get along well and others don't. The only difference for the SRF is that if they want to fight out their dissents they have to do it behind closed doors and put on a brave face when being in public because first and foremost there is the monarchy and the image. Whatever Spaniards would think if SFR family members showed their disagreement with each other in public - it was not helpful for the future of the monarchy, that's for sure. So they do what they have to do, bear it and smile, let the circus pass, some members more, others less. The King very much minds his own business so it's up to Sofia to keep the family together. She seems to get on well with Letizia and I don't question that but on the other hand, what happened if she did not? Sofia would never ever show that she disliked her daughter in law in public because, back to start, this would ruin her standing as PoA completely and as a consequence be a major blow for a future King and Queen of Spain. Not so easy, eh?

No, not easy at all, but Queen Sofia is such a professional that she will rather goes with Letizia and the girls (not that that will be an unpleasant task) that spent time with their daughters as in other summers, because after the El Jueves polemic, the article saying that Letizia and the King had zero feeling between them etc etc Letizia, Felipe and by extension the girls needs reassurance and since Letizia dosn't have any known friend or family in Palma and the sisters in law are minding their own business somebody had to be with her.

I know you will understand my point since this summer we never really get to see and-or swallow the whole family thing, as other years, they were all kind of appart, in little clans.

RaniaRocks 08-07-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefanie (Post 650612)

Oh I never had that impression and if you look at this picture I dosn't seems to be any problems with those two.

Iñaki and Juan Valentin
Juan Valentin all smiles with Froilan

Getty and El Mundo.

donnaK 08-07-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaniaRocks (Post 650786)

If Cristina and Felipe used to be best pals or Cristina was Felipe's closet confidant as some claimed, then this type of relation is bounded to change after Felipe's marriage. It doesn't mean Felipe loves his sister (vice versa) any less. He has a wife now, he needn't (shouldn't) consult his sister for everything. On the other hand, one has 4 kids, the other has 2 very small ones, live in different cities, both are busy with their own lives.
It's rather baseless to blame Letizia (like you always did on everything) on Cristina's low key style in Mallorca. In fact, whether her family was present or not, it wouldn't take away the spotlight from the Asturias. You sounded like Cristina was such a jealous woman who didn't like her mother's constant effort to promote the Asturian family, I doubt there was any truth to it.
Since you liked to speculate, I also could give you two cents. Perhaps the issue was between the King and Inaki. After the mini financial 'scandal' in the Balearic Islands, the King forced Inaki to resign from his sports consultant company where he was a VP and a partner. I don't think Inaki was happy about the decision (If I were him, I wouldn't either). He didn't do anything illegal. If someone was willing to give his company contracts because he was the son-in-law of the King, it was not his problem. Perhaps they were not happy with some of the things happened in the Balearics, wanted to be low-key themselves or even told by Zarzuela to be low-key in Mallorca, who knows. For example, last year, it was the 25th anniversary of the King's Cup Regata (not Letizia's Cup), Cristina and her family were not at the award ceremony, but Cristina and Inaki went to a group dinner with Felipe, Letizia and other friends afterwards. It didn't seem they were doing so badly with the Asturias.

Rebafan81 08-07-2007 08:24 PM

I don't get any information on the Spainish royal family except what I read here, so this is purely speculation but to me it seems like Leti and Elena are closer then Cristina. This could be because Cristina has 4 children and also because she lives in Barcalona. Felipe seems to have good relationship with everyone and I think the longer Leti is a part of the family, the closer she will be with the rest of the members. I think a lot of what we see comes from the pressures of always being watched while trying to raise a family, I personally think they are all doing a fantastic job, I wouldn't want it. The King comes from the same generation as my father, back then, men didn't get too involved with the "raising" of the children nor did they show much emotion. The King seems to show more emotion with his grandchildren but I think he has to keep a public persona, which keeps him a little removed. To me, this really does seem like a wonderful family. The only one I find a different is Jamie, but after learning he had a stroke, I kind of undertand.

RaniaRocks 08-07-2007 08:29 PM

And lets no forget that Elena and Cristina are really close, they go together to the sky resorts etc, their kids are always together, you should expect (instead of two couples) three couples with their kids. BTW I haven't blame nobody so far. ;)

Cristina and Elena are in the same position geographically as the Asturias, one family in Madrid and the other in Barcelona. ;)

donnaK 08-07-2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaniaRocks (Post 650924)
No, not easy at all, but Queen Sofia is such a professional that she will rather goes with Letizia and the girls (not that that will be an unpleasant task) that spent time with their daughters as in other summers, because after the El Jueves polemic, the article saying that Letizia and the King had zero feeling between them etc etc Letizia, Felipe and by extension the girls needs reassurance and since Letizia dosn't have any known friend or family in Palma and the sisters in law are minding their own business somebody had to be with her.

I know you will understand my point since this summer we never really get to see and-or swallow the whole family thing, as other years, they were all kind of appart, in little clans.

I don't see Cristina's family behaved any differently last year as this year. Her ship was out of the competition, so she chose to sail around the Balearic Islands with her family, just like last year. She and her family decided not to hang around to be the bored cheerleaders, good for her and the kids.

donnaK 08-07-2007 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaniaRocks (Post 650933)
And lets no forget that Elena and Cristina are really close, they go together to the sky resorts etc, their kids are always together, you should expect (instead of two couples) three couples with their kids. BTW I haven't blame nobody so far. ;)

Cristina and Elena are in the same position geographically as the Asturias, one family in Madrid and the other in Barcelona. ;)

Their kids' ages were similar. Plus Froilan seems to be a loner at home, he certainly loves to play with his boy cousins. How could Letizia go ski when she was pregnant and not felt well most of the time ? Froilan and Victoria seem to be close to Leonor too.

donnaK 08-07-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lula (Post 650871)
On the relation of the Queen and the Princes, always this relation is conceived as the support of the Queen to the Princes, and one never sees the relation in the inverse way. The Queen always has been alone enough, on everything after her daughters went away of house, though she continued having Felipe. The companion of the Queen is the Princess Irene, but she neither has a very narrow relation with her sisters-in-law nor has many friends in Madrid. Now the Queen has his son, a daughter-in-law with whom to share conversation and two granddaughters whom she can see every day.

Exactly. Any feuds between the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law usually results in the mother seeing her beloved son and grandchildren less. The Queen is a very wise woman, I think she perfectly understands that a good relation with her daughter-in-law not only benefits the monarchy, also benefits herself emotionally. I remember the TVE special on Leonor's 1st birthday mentioned that Letizia took Leonor to Zarzuela almost everyday to visit her grandparents (I guess mainly the Queen). A good relation certainly helps both parties.

LadyFinn 08-07-2007 11:57 PM

Letizia seemed to be extremely close to Cristina and Inaki at Erika´s funeral.
Polfoto
Polfoto
Polfoto
Polfoto
I think this is more than just polite sympathy from the part of Cristina and Inaki towards Letizia. Probably they are in good terms, but because everyone is busy with their work and children and they are living far away from each other, they see each other rather seldom.

highpriestess 08-08-2007 12:09 AM

Let me see if I can sum up all the speculations here:

- If two people are smiling at each other, they must have put on the brave face for the good of the monarchy.

- If they don't smile at each other, they must dislike each other.

- If two people stand several feet apart in a group photo, trouble is brewing between them.

- If they are not shown talking to each other while surrounded by a big group of people, they must be feuding.

- If two families don't vacation together, watch it. A cold war is going on.

Do I get it all? :rolleyes:

lula 08-08-2007 04:40 AM

The Infantas Elena and Cristina started going on holidays together two years ago, when their children came to an age in which they could share games. Before they were never doing it, if it was not with their parents.

The Princes are not the Infantas and cannot do the same life that they, and less now with two girls.

The Prince has his commitments and responsibilities, and if he has to take part in the Cup Breitling (because as his father has imposed it like that if he does not take part there is scandal for the whole summer), it is not possible to go on holidays to Lanzarote because Iñaki gives there a conference. Also enough for years the Prince is not going to ski to Baqueira in Christmas like the Kings do not go. The Kings the age influenced, but also the public's excess and press that centers there in these dates, and the attempt of terrorist assault that existed.

Not only the Prince has had to change his life. The Princess also has had to resign many things of her familiar life, probably to her would be charmed with being able to go to Asturias to house of her grandmother ... but she cannot. While they were alone, though with problems, they were organized .. but now with the girls and the problems to control the safety of the house, they have it more difficult.

Duke of Marmalade 08-08-2007 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 650981)
Letizia seemed to be extremely close to Cristina and Inaki at Erika´s funeral.
Polfoto
Polfoto
Polfoto
Polfoto
I think this is more than just polite sympathy from the part of Cristina and Inaki towards Letizia. Probably they are in good terms, but because everyone is busy with their work and children and they are living far away from each other, they see each other rather seldom.

A funeral is something very special and each human being who has been brought up in a proper way (which obviously applies to all members of the royal family) will show affection. Especially in Erika's case, taking her own life, is a devastating situation and one must be very very cold blooded not to feel with Letizia. So I do not doubt for one second that the affection shown by Felipe's sisters came from the bottom of their hearts.
On the other hand, if there is dissent, it does not mean all is gone just because of what happened, one thing has not so much to do with the other.

So I don't think the funeral does not give any hint if they are close or distant because it's such an extraordinary event. Besides, again, at such events you HAVE to show you stand together, any other statement would be a nightmare for the image of the SRF and give fuel for other speculations.

Little_star 08-08-2007 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 650355)
I've read before that Infanta Cristina and Princess Letizia do not enjoy a close relationship, does anybody know if this is true?

I have no idea and I always fnd this a strange rumour as when Felipe and Letizia first got together it was speculated that Cristina supported them greatly.

Elsa M. 08-08-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnaK (Post 650928)
Since you liked to speculate, I also could give you two cents. Perhaps the issue was between the King and Inaki. After the mini financial 'scandal' in the Balearic Islands, the King forced Inaki to resign from his sports consultant company where he was a VP and a partner. I don't think Inaki was happy about the decision (If I were him, I wouldn't either). He didn't do anything illegal. If someone was willing to give his company contracts because he was the son-in-law of the King, it was not his problem. Perhaps they were not happy with some of the things happened in the Balearics, wanted to be low-key themselves or even told by Zarzuela to be low-key in Mallorca, who knows. For example, last year, it was the 25th anniversary of the King's Cup Regata (not Letizia's Cup), Cristina and her family were not at the award ceremony, but Cristina and Inaki went to a group dinner with Felipe, Letizia and other friends afterwards. It didn't seem they were doing so badly with the Asturias.

I've thought that too (although I didn't want to say anything, or some fanatic members here would eat me alive - you know, some people here say they feel frightened to criticise Letizia, but I would say they are the ones who can not stand any criticism about their favourite royals :rolleyes: ).

It was clear enough last year that Iñaki felt the need to keep a very low-key profile, during the vacations. It was just after that polemic about his business deals with the balearic government and all anti-royalist press attacks accusing him of making money on his royal status. I think he did well in choosing to be away from the lenses (he and his children hardly appeared for the "media circus" during the regattas)... Since then, the Urdangarín clan seems to prefer spending their Mallorcan vacations apart and with less fuss around them.

dazzling 08-08-2007 07:12 AM

Its hard to judge a relationship from pictures since we have to somehow speculate what is goin on. Off course for the media or at events they all have to have a smile on their face but that doesnt always meen something is good.
I think that Queen Sofia has the ebst equall relation with each memeber of the family, she seems to be a very warm loving person.
Sometimes from pictures (could be wrong) that Infanta Christina & Letizia dont get a long too well

mapian 08-08-2007 11:44 AM

Article from spanish magacine:

De vacaciones con los niños

No me fío un pelo de los rumores y mucho menos de los que te aseguran que son de buena tinta. Sin ir más lejos, el otro día me fui con mi hija al Club de Campo y me encontré de sopetón con la chiquillería real. Me refiero a los hijos de la Infanta Cristina, la Infanta Elena y la de los Príncipes de Asturias. ¡Todos juntitos! Era un día soleado y apenas si había gente. Me imagino que estarían comprando como locos. Jaime de Marichalar tenía pinta de aburrirse bastante, pero ejercía de papá. Eché de menos a Don Felipe y Doña Elena, pero me encantó ver cómo Doña Letizia y Doña Cristina charlaban sin parar mientras columpiaban a sus hijas, Leonor e Irene. La imagen que daban era la de dos cuñadas muy bien avenidas. Para que luego digan las malas lenguas que se llevan mal.

Tiempo nº 1289 8/14 enero 2007

translation from google (sorry):

Of vacations with the children

I much less do not entrust a hair in the rumors and which they assure to you that they are of good red. Without going more far, the other day I went with my daughter to the Club of Field and I was of sopetón with chiquillería real (royal children). I talk about the children of Infanta Cristina, Infanta Elena and the one of Princes of Asturias. All together! It was a sunny day and hardly if there were people. I imagine that they would be buying like crazy people. Jaime de Marichalar had dot to become bored enough, but he exerted of dady. I missed to Don Felipe and Doña Elena, but I enchanted to see how Doña Letizia and Doña Cristina chatted without stopping while they give a swing to his daughters, Leonor and Irene. The image that they gave was the one of two very well reconciled sisters-in-law. So that soon they say the bad languages that take bad.

We can see today in pics at princess Letizia and queen Sofia talk and confidents in their private live, Cristina and Letizia have same behavior out of camera.

Stefanie 08-13-2007 07:30 AM

In an earlier post I was worried about the relationship between Inaki and Valentin. But the latest photos show them very close to each other. So hopefully I was wrong and therefore I excuse.

biboquinhas 08-23-2007 06:01 PM

well by the pictures we hav seen so far from this summer vacations we can assme that bth Infantas and Letiza dont get well along! But Letizia and the Queen are bes friends! For example we could see Cristina and Elena at the beach with their friends and kids but no Filipe and Letizia, we could never see them speaking, laughing etc!! Bothe Filipe and Letizia went to the beach aone! I think that both little girls don't get well along either, even at that age they shold play with each other and we have never seen those images not just once when they are thogether, that is very strange to me, of course it is not their fault but their parens fault becuse to me they really don't get ver well along with! They speak of course but not more than that!

Little_star 08-23-2007 06:28 PM

So am I correct in understanding that you think Cristina/Inaki and Felipe/Letizia have told Irene/Leonor not to play together?!

Duke of Marmalade 08-24-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star (Post 656598)
So am I correct in understanding that you think Cristina/Inaki and Felipe/Letizia have told Irene/Leonor not to play together?!

I wouldn't go that far ;)

For me it's quite natural that there is a very close relation between Elena and Cristina and as it is in most families, a sister in law will hardly be able to share this inner bond.
Talking from the pictures and that's all we can do I don't see an affectionate relation between Cristina and Letizia, not only these days but for the last two years or so. As they were reported to be close in the beginning, I assume there was or still is dissens over whatever and given they can't show too much in public their joint appearances - if it all - give the impression they don't care too much or are indifferent, at least from Cristina's side towards Letizia, and that might reflect on the every day relations of the kids as well. No big deal, happens in many families doesn't it.

I was very impressed with Cristina these days, too bad I can't say the same about Letizia. Cristina seems to be very self assured, balanced, happy and at ease with herself, a woman in her prime who has found her position in the family and society, Letizia still seems insecure, like an apprentice, although she is already a family member for over three years now. Her only source of self esteem seems to be Felipe and her daughters but not her position as Princess of Asturias or future Queen of Spain. For me Letizia looks a person who used to love attention and the spotlight and always needed a reassuring public that she's doing well etc to get her share of self confidence so the critics of the past years have taken their toll on her. Her relations with Elena look a bit closer as she lives in Madrid but Elena obviously has her own things to sort out within her family.

adelaide 08-24-2007 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 656710)

For me it's quite natural that there is a very close relation between Elena and Cristina and as it is in most families, a sister in law will hardly be able to share this inner bond.
Talking from the pictures and that's all we can do I don't see an affectionate relation between Cristina and Letizia, not only these days but for the last two years or so. As they were reported to be close in the beginning, I assume there was or still is dissens over whatever and given they can't show too much in public their joint appearances - if it all - give the impression they don't care too much or are indifferent, at least from Cristina's side towards Letizia, and that might reflect on the every day relations of the kids as well. No big deal, happens in many families doesn't it.

I was very impressed with Cristina these days, too bad I can't say the same about Letizia. Cristina seems to be very self assured, balanced, happy and at ease with herself, a woman in her prime who has found her position in the family and society, Letizia still seems insecure, like an apprentice, although she is already a family member for over three years now. Her only source of self esteem seems to be Felipe and her daughters but not her position as Princess of Asturias or future Queen of Spain. For me Letizia looks a person who used to love attention and the spotlight and always needed a reassuring public that she's doing well etc to get her share of self confidence so the critics of the past years have taken their toll on her. Her relations with Elena look a bit closer as she lives in Madrid but Elena obviously has her own things to sort out within her family.

I'm sorry, dear Duke of Marmelade, but {edited by Avalon} your psychologic considerations about the relations of the Infantas Elena and Cristina with the Princess of Asturias are a little summary ( understatment ) and the last but not the least your psychologic analysis of the the spotlight necessetis of the Princess of Asturias is worthy of the Barbara Cartland 's books and not the best ones.

You are forgetting one think, very important in any observations, is the true and deep character of the person. The Princess of Asturias is very cerebral person and if she want to be on the spotlight in a way or one other, is very easy for her to do it; more I think that since the begining of the year she has been totaly under the spotlight, may be in a very difficult role, in wich she was totally succesful when she lost her little sister - I'm not sacarstic-

One other think that you are passing totaly under the silence, is how the motherhood has changed the cold aspect of the Princess of Asturias. And with her two girls, as a mother of Infantas of Spain, she is totally under the spotlihts, isen't it?

Duke of Marmalade 08-24-2007 08:24 AM

[quote=adelaide;656744]
Quote:

... your psychologic analysis of the the spotlight necessetis of the Princess of Asturias is worthy of the Barbara Cartland 's books and not the best ones.
:lol: Good one adelaide, I am sure she wouldn't mind as she has sold over a billion books :lol:

Quote:

You are forgetting one think, very important in any observations, is the true and deep character of the person. The Princess of Asturias is very cerebral person and if she want to be on the spotlight in a way or one other, is very easy for her to do it; more I think that since the begining of the year she has been totaly under the spotlight, may be in a very difficult role, in wich she was totally succesful when she lost her little sister - I'm not sacarstic-
Good you mention that as it does sound sarcastic. Apart from that event and motherhood she hasn't touched gold recently in terms of positive coverage. Letizia has been critizised for everything and I think this left an impact on her as I don't see her comforable in her role (and the concept of the role, although Spain is Spain, does not help). I don't blame her for that because it might be human when you come from a very successful life, receiving lots of praise for your work etc and then you marry a prince and everything is different, like what was right yesterday is wrong today.
Quote:

One other think that you are passing totaly under the silence, is how the motherhood has changed the cold aspect of the Princess of Asturias. And with her two girls, as a mother of Infantas of Spain, she is totally under the spotlihts, isen't it?
I never thought Letizia was a cold person. I think she was able to show emotions from the beginning the same way she does now, not only after she became a mother.

CasiraghiTrio 08-24-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 656763)
I never thought Letizia was a cold person. I think she was able to show emotions from the beginning the same way she does now, not only after she became a mother.

Even before Leonor was born, we would sometimes see Letizia at the regatta hugging the Urdangarin and Marichalar children. I am thinking fondly of that picture of her being so sweet with Victoria at the Breitling regatta. But I agree that having children has softened Letizia so much. Adelaide also made a terrific point about Letizia being more "cerebral". I think it's very true and important to remember that. How hard it has to be for such a person to look warm next to the overtly warm Spanish Royal Family! :biggrin: I'm sure Letizia is warm in her own ways but around that family, she is rather overrun in this department. :cool:

adelaide 08-24-2007 09:36 AM

[quote=Duke of Marmalade;656763]
Quote:

Originally Posted by adelaide (Post 656744)
:lol: Good one adelaide, I am sure she wouldn't mind as she has sold over a billion books :lol:

Good you mention that as it does sound sarcastic. Apart from that event and motherhood she hasn't touched gold recently in terms of positive coverage. Letizia has been critizised for everything and I think this left an impact on her as I don't see her comforable in her role (and the concept of the role, although Spain is Spain, does not help). I don't blame her for that because it might be human when you come from a very successful life, receiving lots of praise for your work etc and then you marry a prince and everything is different, like what was right yesterday is wrong today.

D of K, you are going on to dispoint a lot.

Truely Barbara Cartland had sold a Million ( or a Billion ) of supidities is not for this reason that she has a good analysis of the Society except if you admit that the archetype of the love with a poor orphan girl and a noble man and so others kind of sirupy stories of sentimental situations. I can understand it's your cup of tea and by the way it's puting us about your criterium of the" spotlight" !

You are looking as if it will be difficult for you to understand that it's not necessary to have immediatly something for wich your are dealing for a long time in the future. More, I repeat, to be the mother of Infantas of Spain, if it's a totally abstract notion, it's the best "spotlight" that a crown princess can hope for the immediate in a situation where - in Spain - a crown Princes has no other main role that to assure the perennity of the throne by giving heirs.

In fact it seems that your are thinking that the Princess of Asturias, exactly as a Barbara Cartland's heroine, have to prove her capacities in front of the pack of detractors from all horizons and prinicipaly has to prove as a " plebeyan" Princess she is doing as well as a princess of "Blood". You add some others diificulties, you salt with personal desagraments, plus two or three pinches of psychologic peper : you have a ery good novel as a Barbara Cartland's one.

May be, you should to try it !:flowers::angel:

Little_star 08-24-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 656710)

That's what it sounded like, hence the clarification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

Ditto. I'm very close to both my sisters and if I had a brother I doubt whether my relationship with his hypothetical spouse would ever be as close.

Quote:

Talking from the pictures and that's all we can do I don't see an affectionate relation between Cristina and Letizia, not only these days but for the last two years or so.

Hmm, I remember some of the photos from Erika's funeral and how Letizia literally clung to Cristina and Inaki for support. Those were hardly the images of somebody who didn't share a very good relatonship.

I've always thought that the way families/friends act duing the bad times is a true indicator of their feelings from one another. Based on those photos, there was no coldness, that I can see.

Others are going to disagree with me!

Quote:

I was very impressed with Cristina these days, too bad I can't say the same about Letizia. Cristina seems to be very self assured, balanced, happy and at ease with herself, a woman in her prime who has found her position in the family and society, Letizia still seems insecure, like an apprentice, although she is already a family member for over three years now.

I guess we must be looking at 2 very different sets of photos. I've never thought Letizia emitted anything other than confidence when out and about. I remember her Save the Children meeting a month before Sofia was born and she seemed incredibly at ease, as she usually has done, imo.

Moreover it's easy for Cristina to be more relaxed, she's not the future Queen. Her kids are not the future monarch of their country. They can lead relatively normal lives without the fear of knowing that they have an immense amount of responsibility placed on their shoulders. She and Inaki are not the ones subject to constant scrutiny and tacky cartoons.

Is it a surprise if she sometimes seems more comfortable?

CasiraghiTrio 08-24-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star (Post 656816)
Moreover it's easy for Cristina to be more relaxed, she's not the future Queen. Her kids are not the future monarch of their country. They can lead relatively normal lives without the fear of knowing that they have an immense amount of responsibility placed on their shoulders. She and Inaki are not the ones subject to constant scrutiny and tacky cartoons.

Very true, Cristina has an easy time in the press. They adore her. The paparazzi seem always to be taking pictures of her family, but as you say, she is loved so much and the press is so kind about her and the kids and Iñaki. I haven't noticed the press picking on any of her kids the way they pick on poor shy Victoria with her sock. :sad:

As far as the relations between Cristina and Letizia, I'm sure that they are very sweet to each other, but it's possible Elena is closer to Letizia as they must see other more often. But Elena seems more reserved in public than Cristina, so we can't see her showing much affection in the pictures. I don't know as much about the family as you obviously do. It only seems this way to me observing the pictures and comprehending just the big ideas in the articles, since my Spanish is not great.

planetcher 08-24-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little_star (Post 656816)

I couldn't agree more with you. That's why I've always said that Elena and Jaime(especially him) must be relieved (I can't really find the right word to use here) that they're not the future monarchs of Spain. Looking at them and their kids I see that they're very happy and contented with the kind of lifestyle they have right now. BTW, how do the Spaniards and the press feel about Jaime anyway? I don't know much about him except his fashion business and his illness.

donnaK 08-24-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

There were also lots of positive comments or very sugary compliments in the media, of course for people they were only looking for negative comments, that was what they saw - negative comments from the tabloids. She was probably frustrated at the beginning, now I see her very used to it, much more relaxed and at ease. I remember one of the royal insiders mentioned that since the engagement, she had been showered down with compliments, at the same time with criticisms, that was just the life of being the Princess of Asturias.

Quote:

Agree.

Roxsteve 08-26-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 651037)
A funeral is something very special and each human being who has been brought up in a proper way (which obviously applies to all members of the royal family) will show affection. Especially in Erika's case, taking her own life, is a devastating situation and one must be very very cold blooded not to feel with Letizia. So I do not doubt for one second that the affection shown by Felipe's sisters came from the bottom of their hearts.
On the other hand, if there is dissent, it does not mean all is gone just because of what happened, one thing has not so much to do with the other.

So I don't think the funeral does not give any hint if they are close or distant because it's such an extraordinary event. Besides, again, at such events you HAVE to show you stand together, any other statement would be a nightmare for the image of the SRF and give fuel for other speculations.

Agree 100%.

madeleine victoria 08-27-2007 03:36 AM

I think the relationship between SRF is good. You can't actually say that the King doen'st like Letizia because we haven't seen them together chatting. Well, JC is playing w/ Sofia during the photoshoot at Marivent. The King's actions toward Letizia is formal. We haven't seen any pictures of the King interacting in the same way as the Queen Sofia towards her in-laws. QS is very "showy" towards her grandchildren and in-laws while the King is very formal. It doesn't mean that being formal means being distant towards Letizia or Iñaki or Jaime. It's just the King's way. He is close to the Infantas mainly because they are his daughters. It's natural. After all we haven't seen anything that would declare "feud" between them. Not that I'm wishing for one. Some says that at first it was Letizia and Cristina who are really close but now its letizia and Elena. We may conclude that both families live in Madrid while Cristina is in Barcelona. But it doesn't necessarily mean that there is "coldness" between Cristina and Letizia now. I haven't heard of anything that will destroy the relationship between Letizia and the rest of the SRF. When you became part of a family, don't expect everyone to like you. You may be friends w/ your husband's sister hence closeness will develop. Letizia can't be close to almost everyone. It won't happen because people have their own unique personality. It's easy to develop "closeness" with someone who share the same interest as you.;) Therefore we can't expect everyone in the SRF to show "closeness" to evryone but I'm sure they are doing fine.:cool:

acdc1 08-28-2007 08:10 PM

Can we really expect for a nearly 70-year-old man to become "BFF's" (best friends forever) with his 35-year-old daughter-in-law? He may like her fine, or not like her, but he'll always be polite in public. It won't be an all-out war like it was with the British Royals. He loves his son and grandchildren, and always will.

planetcher 08-28-2007 09:12 PM

Why are people so hot and bothered about the relationship of the King and Letizia in public when we also don't see any interactions between him and his sons-in-law in public either? I just don't get it.

highpriestess 08-28-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetcher (Post 658833)
Why are people so hot and bothered about the relationship of the King and Letizia in public when we also don't see any interactions between him and his sons-in-law in public either? I just don't get it.

Because people who dislike or disapprove of Letizia try to find any excuses to put her down. What better than "see, the king doesn't like/approve her either!" I notice that with a certain Letizia hater on another board. Jamie and Inaki got passes because they are not Letizia. ;)

planetcher 08-28-2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpriestess (Post 658875)
Because people who dislike or disapprove of Letizia try to find any excuses to put her down. What better than "see, the king doesn't like/approve her either!" I notice that with a certain Letizia hater on another board. Jamie and Inaki got passes because they are not Letizia. ;)

I'm not just talking about boards or forums like this, but also the Spanish media as well. They say such things like the King doesn't take a glance or interact with his daughter-in-law during official functions or in photoshoots, but they also fail to notice that he doesn't interact with his sons-in-law either in public. That's the part that I don't get that the people only notice Letizia or maybe Jaime and Inaki are not important to them that they don't give a damn. Seriously though I really don't get it:unsure:.

Duke of Marmalade 08-29-2007 05:14 AM

I am very surprised about this direction King / Letizia don't get along. Although I like to speculate I cannot recall an occasion that looked like distress. He might have not preferred her in the first place as she did not really hit the profile but moved on, what can he do. I see their relationship as normal or formal and I would never expect more. He's the King after all and he belongs to a generation where men don't show too much affection and if at all it's towards his daughters and I find that very normal - and it's Queen Sofia's job to do some balance here.

I don't think any of JC's attitudes towards Letizia are meant personally, it's just the way he is, a bit of a loner and a men's man. We will never know what he actually thinks of her if she's a good choice of fit for purpose or if he personally likes her or not but I am sure not only in public he will give Letizia the support that she needs to become an accepted Queen consort because if he didn't he would not only harm Letizia or his own son but also the monarchy and he's a wise man, not a mad man :smile:

Lady Griffin 08-29-2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 658997)
....I don't think any of JC's attitudes towards Letizia are meant personally, it's just the way he is, a bit of a loner and a men's man. We will never know what he actually thinks of her if she's a good choice of fit for purpose or if he personally likes her or not but I am sure not only in public he will give Letizia the support that she needs to become an accepted Queen consort because if he didn't he would not only harm Letizia or his own son but also the monarchy and he's a wise man, not a mad man :smile:

I am sorry, but I have to partially disagree... The King was not happy with his son's choice and this has nothing to do with the way he is. He is not a loner, it is his position which is a lonely one, although I agree that he is more of a men's man. It has to do with the fact that Letizia was not a suitable consort for the Prince of Asturias.
Everyone in the Royal Family is doing whatever is needed to ensure that Letizia will be accepted; however it is not an easy task.
There is a story about the King saying to a small group of very close people, after he was informed of the marriage plans his son had made : "Este niño tonto se va a cargar la monarquía", which means: "This silly boy is going to bring the downfall of the monarchy" and it was a very wise remark.
Queen Sofia is always perfect in her role, a true professional as the King has always said, and she is making enormous efforts to overcome all these difficulties; however, it is not an easy task.
This is neither a Barbara Cartland's novel, nor a Perrault's fairy tale.

Avalon 08-29-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Griffin (Post 659048)
[/i]

I am sorry, but I have to partially disagree... The King was not happy with his son's choice and this has nothing to do with the way he is. He is not a loner, it is his position which is a lonely one, although I agree that he is more of a men's man. It has to do with the fact that Letizia was not a suitable consort for the Prince of Asturias.
Everyone in the Royal Family is doing whatever is needed to ensure that Letizia will be accepted; however it is not an easy task.
There is a story about the King saying to a small group of very close people, after he was informed of the marriage plans his son had made : "Este niño tonto se va a cargar la monarquía", which means: "This silly boy is going to bring the downfall of the monarchy" and it was a very wise remark.
Queen Sofia is always perfect in her role, a true professional as the King has always said, and she is making enormous efforts to overcome all these difficulties; however, it is not an easy task.
This is neither a Barbara Cartland's novel, nor a Perrault's fairy tale.

It's just like the case of Queen Sonja/Mette-Marit, Queen Elizabeth/Camilla, etc. We don't know any of that happened. As you said, there is a story that the King might have siad something, but I wish I knew how would anyone know what he said. :rolleyes:
Unless, of course, he said it in a public place, or on National TV, or it was recorded, retold by trustworthy source, in whch case I apologize.

I doubt The King is best friends with Letizia, just as he is not with Jaime or Inaki. I assume he is fond of them, because they are the parents of his grandchildren, but hardly more.

Duke of Marmalade 08-29-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon (Post 659052)
It's just like the case of Queen Sonja/Mette-Marit, Queen Elizabeth/Camilla, etc. We don't know any of that happened. As you said, there is a story that the King might have siad something, but I wish I knew how would anyone know what he said. :rolleyes:
Unless, of course, he said it in a public place, or on National TV, or it was recorded, retold by trustworthy source, in whch case I apologize.

I doubt The King is best friends with Letizia, just as he is not with Jaime or Inaki. I assume he is fond of them, because they are the parents of his grandchildren, but hardly more.

Exactly, this is what I meant, we simply don't know and talking from the pictures I see no hint towards a dissens when the King is with Letizia. Besides, as he is the King, at the end of the day Letizia will have to adapt to JC's way and not vice versa, and she does.

Having said that it doesn't mean that Lady Griffin is wrong, in private or within his circles he might well not agree with his son's choice because as I said earlier, Letizia certainly did not hit the nail in terms of the job description, or fear the end of the monarchy but of course he will never mention or give the slightest hint in public.

I can imagine that JC's attitude towards Letizia is more or less You made your bed now lie in it, meaning you wanted all this and now get along with it and don't dare to bother me - and this is where Sofia steps in, holding the family together.

One question - in the Koenigskinder docu there was mentioned that Felipe promised his grandfather on the deathbed that he would only marry a royal or noble lady, a promise that he broke. Is this just a silly story or is there / could there be any truth in that.

Lady Griffin 08-29-2007 11:37 AM

I am not quite sure about Felipe's promises... nevertheless, there was the Pragmatic Law issued by Carlos III which prevented heirs to the throne from marrying outside certain circles. Then, the government said that the law was not applicable as it was too old and there is a Constitution in place...
It is all very complicated and many get the feeling that we had to face a "fait accompli" which was swiftly and efficiently coordinated so that there was very little room to show dissent.
The point is that Prince Felipe was carefully educated and groomed for his future job and it was his responsibility to fulfil his duties.
Having said that and because we cannot undo what is done, let's hope that Letizia will follow the good example and teachings of Queen Sofia and everything should be right.
Letizia is intelligent and ambitious. No doubt about this. She has learned some lessons, particularly after she was "muffled" right at the start when she interrupted Prince Felipe and tried to conduct an interview...!!!! Her manners are improving, she is learning foreign languages and, most important, she has a good team of advisors to help her in her learning. She still has some problems with her family... this is something very difficult to control. When you marry someone you also marry into his/her family and some members can be annoying... This is the case of the maternal grandfather who should also be "muffled". Well... enough said...

lula 08-29-2007 02:46 PM

Lady Griffin I believe that the family of the Princess has demonstrated enough dignity. I would like to know since they would endure many Borbón if they had a journalist in the door of their work like has Paloma Rocasolano every day. Not to belong to a family of the nobility, or not to be rich is not a problem ... and if it is for someone is because it is it appears is full of prejudices.

Francisco Rocasolano will be a humble retired taxi driver, but he is 90 years old, and bears with an education and an incredible sharm the bad education of the press.

For my worse enough it is to see the attitude of some relatives of the King who never answer with education ... or figures linked to the family as the uncle Leandro (illegitimate child of Alfonso XIII) or the Count Lequio that to sell their miseries in the television for money...

Lady Griffin 08-29-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lula (Post 659227)
Lady Griffin I believe that the family of the Princess has demonstrated enough dignity. I would like to know since they would endure many Borbón if they had a journalist in the door of their work like has Paloma Rocasolano every day. Not to belong to a family of the nobility, or not to be rich is not a problem ... and if it is for someone is because it is it appears is full of prejudices.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lula (Post 659227)

Francisco Rocasolano will be a humble retired taxi driver, but he is 90 years old, and bears with an education and an incredible sharm the bad education of the press.

For my worse enough it is to see the attitude of some relatives of the King who never answer with education ... or figures linked to the family as the uncle Leandro (illegitimate child of Alfonso XIII) or the Count Lequio that to sell their miseries in the television for money...

Lula, I would like to remind you that both Leandro de Borbón and Alessandro Lequio are not welcome within the Royal Family's circles.
Personally, I try to avoid watching those television programs you are mentioning because, for me, it is a matter of principles. A difficult task, indeed, in Spain, as you are bombarded with them.
As for Francisco Rocasolano, I do understand that this new situation is difficult for him, but he should be told not to mention the word j...r (it is the equivalent of a four letter word in English) every two seconds... Silence and a smile would be much more acceptable and dignified.
I agree with you that the "Prensa Rosa" in Spain is unbearable. But this is the reason why everyone involved in a situation such as the one we are discussing should be prepared when it comes to facing it.
Personally, I feel sorry for the family. It has not been an easy way for them.
I do like, though, Letizia's paternal grandmother. She is a lady.
As for prejudices... whether we like it or not they are part of our daily lives. We live by certain rules and we have to accept them. Money is not the big issue, you can be very poor and have dignity and know how to behave properly. The more privileges you have in life, the more responsibility you have over your own actions. It is the old "Hamurabi Code" or what you could sum up as "Noblesse oblige". When you are a King, a Queen, a Crown Prince or their immediate family you life does not belong to you. You must live by certain codes of conduct because this is all part of the deal. Otherwise, you abdicate or simply disappear from the limelight... it is the price you must pay.
Personally, I still hope that Letizia will learn what to do and that she may be able to continue the wonderful work of Queen Sofia.
I do hope this for the sake of the monarchy in Spain, which is still, very fragile, indeed.

lula 08-29-2007 04:14 PM

The Duchess of Alba woman noble, polite and rich ... to had glorious moments with the press, with insults and gestures badly enough educated.:lol:

It is not possible to try to change a man that has 90 years, and that for very well that this, doesn´t have the head or the reflections of a youngest person. He is a polite enough and nice man with the press, which once has said a word " that sounds badly " is an anecdote.
For my what it turns out to be terrible, and a great lack of education is that a man of this age is not respected. The last image that I remember is to a group of journalists harassing him while he was trying to help his wife to go out of the car, woman who walks badly and has problems of vision. For my it is more terrible enough, the image of these supposed journalists, that what could say or do an elderly man.

Lady Griffin 08-29-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lula (Post 659275)
The Duchess of Alba woman noble, polite and rich ... to had glorious moments with the press, with insults and gestures badly enough educated.:lol:

It is not possible to try to change a man that has 90 years, and that for very well that this, doesn´t have the head or the reflections of a youngest person. He is a polite enough and nice man with the press, which once has said a word " that sounds badly " is an anecdote.
For my what it turns out to be terrible, and a great lack of education is that a man of this age is not respected. The last image that I remember is to a group of journalists harassing him while he was trying to help his wife to go out of the car, woman who walks badly and has problems of vision. For my it is more terrible enough, the image of these supposed journalists, that what could say or do an elderly man.

Sorry, Lula, but it looks as if you do have a problem with how much money people have in their bank accounts. As I said before, money has nothing to do with good manners.
We are not discussing the Duchess of Alba's antics. This would be a matter for a different thread in which I do not intend to participate.
But I do believe that the grandfather of the future Queen of Spain should watch his language... as should anyone.
As for the press... they are vultures, but you simply avoid giving them fresh meat to feast on.

lula 08-29-2007 04:54 PM

What I try to explain is that the persons with certain age, do not have the same reflections that the young persons, and before the harassment of a few persons who chase and do questions to them without respect. Many people joke or criticize Francisco Rocasolano for being a humble man, and for having there reacts natural that would have any person.

I do not have any problem with the people with money ... but I am bored of seeing like simple persons are despised by trifles, while one forgives the attitude of that have money or a title of nobility in worst circunstances. This it is one habitual attitude, which is reflected very well in the attitude of certain journalists.

I adore the Duchess of Alba when she criticizes and insults to the press, because I believe that it is a normal attitude in a person of an age that they have to support this harassment. If they do not respect the people finish for not respecting them.

Francisco Rocasolano acts with total naturalness, because he has neither the evilness nor the reflections to think and to answer. I believe that there are much worse things and many more serious than it ... what had to do the press is to be polite persons and to show a bit of respect towards the elders.

Lady Griffin 08-29-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lula (Post 659291)
what had to do the press is to be polite persons and to show a bit of respect towards the elders.

I know what you mean and I could not agree more.

highpriestess 08-30-2007 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Griffin (Post 659048)
[/i]

Queen Sofia is always perfect in her role, a true professional as the King has always said,

And the source of that story is........???

IMO, JC is in no position to want his son to follow his footstep when it comes to marriage. Yeah, JC married a true professional and had fun with all the women on the side. I can't imagine Felipe, who's close to his mother, would want an "arrangement" like that. He surely saw first-hand all the pain and humiliation his father put his beloved mother through over the years. JC is no role model in this matter.

Lady Griffin 08-30-2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highpriestess (Post 659501)
And the source of that story is........???

IMO, JC is in no position to want his son to follow his footstep when it comes to marriage. Yeah, JC married a true professional and had fun with all the women on the side. I can't imagine Felipe, who's close to his mother, would want an "arrangement" like that. He surely saw first-hand all the pain and humiliation his father put his beloved mother through over the years. JC is no role model in this matter.

I am not going to reveal my source!!!!??? To do that in a forum where nobody reveils their own identity??? But I can trust the source.... In your case, you may have all the doubts you want... It is your privilege.
King Juan Carlos has not been a perfect husband, although he is the first one to acknowledge that the Queen is a marvelous person and a true professional. It is their problem....
On the other hand, although Felipe did not have a good example at home, he was educated and groomed to be the heir to the throne.... and he knew very well his responsibilities. With the exception of Isabel Sartorius, whose only "sin" was that her parents were divorced, all the other girlfriends who followed were a bit of a disaster. It looked as if he was always mixing with the wrong people. And then he ends up marrying Letizia, a divorced woman in Catholic Spain!!!! Same situation as Wallis Simpson.... without an abdication.
Well, in my opinion the Prince had obligations he did not fulfil.
As for the future of his marriage... it is still early days. Let's see what happens in a few years time. After all this, he may as well follow his father's footsteps.....
Anyway, I do not wish this. May they live happily ever after and then we can all have a nice ending to the fairy tale....

donnaK 08-30-2007 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Griffin (Post 659527)
King Juan Carlos has not been a perfect husband, although he is the first one to acknowledge that the Queen is a marvelous person and a true professional. It is their problem....

The Queen could have behaved like Diana (luckily for JC, she didn't), that would have turned into a big disaster. There is no guarantee that the young generation royals or German trust fund girls will be as professional as Sofia.

Quote:

And then he ends up marrying Letizia, a divorced woman in Catholic Spain!!!! Same situation as Wallis Simpson.... without an abdication.

You seem to still live in the early 20th century. By the old standard, all the heirs who married commoners would have to abdicate as well. Today Charles is married to a divorced woman, in fact his former mistress who has been accused by many for the breakup of his marriage with Diana, without abdication. Most Spaniards are Catholic, but they are only social Catholics. Divorce is not such a big deal. The other heirs of Europe also married women who had long relationship with other men and lived together with other men without being married. If Letizia had only lived together with her ex without signing a piece of paper, that would have made her a different woman, a more suitable bride for the Catholic Church ? LOL.

Avalon 08-30-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

I am not going to reveal my source!!!!??? To do that in a forum where nobody reveils their own identity??? But I can trust the source.... In your case, you may have all the doubts you want... It is your privilege. ....

In cases like this, you have to name a source, because we don't allow unfounded speculations and rumours. I could insist my source told me Juan Carlos said 'How lovely, Letizia will carry on some of our family jewels well, I already love her', but other members would have no means of checking whether the information is true or not.

As per our rules:
Quote:

We do not allow unsubstantiated gossip and speculation based on hearsay. Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.

Duke of Marmalade 08-30-2007 05:57 AM

[quote=donnaK;659539]
Quote:

Most Spaniards are Catholic, but they are only social Catholics. Divorce is not such a big deal.
I wonder if Queen Sofia will agree with this opinion. Letizia was lucky because 1. she did not marry in church as both were not even "social catholics" and 2. Felipe already went through a nightmare with Eva and he refused to give in a second time. I am sure JC and Sofia knew they had to accept the situation and made the best of it - hence the statement that it's no big deal or rather normal that Letizia is a divorcee :rolleyes: What else could they do in order not to discredit her? That statement certainly did not come from the heart and there other issues from her past that had to or still are being overlooked or locked up in order not to discredit Letizia or show her reassurance because it's so vital for the monarchy itself to have a respected future Queen.

Quote:

The other heirs of Europe also married women who had long relationship with other men and lived together with other men without being married. If Letizia had only lived together with her ex without signing a piece of paper, that would have made her a different woman, a more suitable bride for the Catholic Church ? LOL.
I see your point but I think there is a difference because there is a commitment when you get married. No matter what has become of it these days, the orgininal purpose of marriage is to stick with the person until death does you apart, in good times and in bad times. That might sound pathetic these days but nobody urged Letizia go get married and she willingly gave this commitment to her first husband Alfonso, for whatever reason. So I do understand the critics because it does say something about a person to get married and change one's mind only a bit later and I don't want to speculate about the reasons what actually changed Letizia's mind. It's not that she did a Las Vegas stunt as she knew this man for years, therefore this decision must have included some deeper reflection. So I would not be too sure what happens if Felipe turns into JC many years from now, if Letizia will shut up and make the best of it as Sofia did or if she does a Diana instead.

lula 08-30-2007 06:12 AM

Duke, it is to play at being fortune-tellers and at speculating.

The Princess married for the first time after many years of relation, and of a relation that had begun young enough. For her it would be a failure that was not working, but always I have thought that it is better to separate of a civilized form and with respect, that to support a marriage that does not make you happy.

In addition between the Queen Sofia and Diana's ... there is an average term, which nowadays would be that of Alexandra of Denmark. If the persons are respected and are civilized, a separation must be neither a trauma nor a scandal.

donnaK 08-30-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

wonder if Queen Sofia will agree with this opinion. Letizia was lucky because 1. she did not marry in church as both were not even "social catholics" and 2. Felipe already went through a nightmare with Eva and he refused to give in a second time. I am sure JC and Sofia knew they had to accept the situation and made the best of it - hence the statement that it's no big deal or rather normal that Letizia is a divorcee :rolleyes: What else could they do in order not to discredit her? That statement certainly did not come from the heart and there other issues from her past that had to or still are being overlooked or locked up in order not to discredit Letizia or show her reassurance because it's so vital for the monarchy itself to have a respected future Queen.

I was refering to Griffin's statement on 'a divorced woman in Catholic Spain'. She sounded like 'divorce' is so rare in today's Spain, which is completely untrue. A marraige involves two persons, who knows if it was her or her ex who didn't want to get married in the church, or they wanted to, but couldn't since it was the 2nd wedding for her ex.
On her divorce paper being locked up, it's a private subject, also involves another private citizen (her ex). I have never seen the divorce paper of Charles and Diana with their signatures on the newspaper, nor was the one of Joachim and Alexandra, both couples were public figures partly or completely supported by the taxpers' money.

Quote:

I see your point but I think there is a difference because there is a commitment when you get married. No matter what has become of it these days, the orgininal purpose of marriage is to stick with the person until death does you apart, in good times and in bad times. That might sound pathetic these days but nobody urged Letizia go get married and she willingly gave this commitment to her first husband Alfonso, for whatever reason. So I do understand the critics because it does say something about a person to get married and change one's mind only a bit later and I don't want to speculate about the reasons what actually changed Letizia's mind. It's not that she did a Las Vegas stunt as she knew this man for years, therefore this decision must have included some deeper reflection.

I have knows a few pairs with very long courtship since university days, only with short lived marriages. According to them, they knew each other so well that they knew immediately after the wedding they would never meet each other's expectation as husband and wife. On Letizia's, I don't know what was their problem, but I think marriage was rather a honest approach to a relation, it certainly doesn't make her worse than simply living with the man without signing a piece of paper. Too bad, it didn't work out. I heard they both were quite depressed when the marriage ended, so you can't say they didn't give it a try.

Quote:

So I would not be too sure what happens if Felipe turns into JC many years from now, if Letizia will shut up and make the best of it as Sofia did or if she does a Diana instead.

These days it's very hard to find a Sofia even in the royal circles IMO, actually I doubt if there is any. I don't know what Letizia would do, just as I don't know what other CPsses would do if their hubby pulls a JC.

donnaK 08-30-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

As for the future of his marriage... it is still early days. Let's see what happens in a few years time. After all this, he may as well follow his father's footsteps.....
Anyway, I do not wish this. May they live happily ever after and then we can all have a nice ending to the fairy tale....

As Felipe said in his wedding speech, to marry with love and emotions has always been one of his goals in life. It certainly gave him hope to begin a new life (you can't have no hope in life). The black opal ring Felipe gave to Letizia for her first birthday after the wedding said it all, 'loyalty and full of hope for the future'. Whether the love will last life time, only time can tell. A couple can grow towards each other after the marriage, they can also grow apart, one partner outgrows the other during the long journey, it happens everywhere.
Felipe is in a very lonely position, he could as well be a very lonely man before his marriage. I would rather see him with Letizia than those pijos he used to hang out so much before the marriage.
On the rumors of the King's friends leaking out his private words on his son's marriage to the press, if any truth to it, it shows one more time that money and power doesn't buy loyalty and class :eek:. Shame on his friends, who probably were angry that Felipe didn't marry one of their daughters or nieces.

Anna_R 08-30-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Griffin (Post 659138)
She has learned some lessons, particularly after she was "muffled" right at the start when she interrupted Prince Felipe and tried to conduct an interview...!!!!

How many times does this issue has to come around to haunt Letizia? She didn't interrupted Felipe, he interrupted her!

The video, 3:25 - This is the translation in English is this:
YouTube - Petición de Mano

Quote:

Letizia: Well, principally, since the announcement of the engagement and since today, the asking of the hand, it is clear that this is a point in the professional work I was exercising until now. What I wish, what we intend to do is that I'll slowly leave TVE, not immediately. And it's also clear that from now on and in a progressive way, I'm going to intigrate and dedicate myself to this new life, well, with the responsibilities and obligations that go with it and with the support and affection of...

Felipe wants to interfere.

Letizia:
... Let me finish... The affection of the King and Queen and of course after the priceless example of the Queen.
The question was directed at her, she was replying and he interrupted her, not the other way around.

highpriestess 08-30-2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Well, in my opinion the Prince had obligations he did not fulfil.

Well, in my opinion, JC had a marrital oath that he didn't withhold. An oath he said in a Catholic church. Which one is worse???

If Felipe follows his father's footstep by marrying a royal/noble woman and having mistresses on the side, who says the wife will not be another Diana? How much damage will a Diana do to Spanish monarchy?

highpriestess 08-30-2007 11:30 PM

[quote=Duke of Marmalade;659587]
Quote:

Originally Posted by donnaK (Post 659539)
So I do understand the critics because it does say something about a person to get married and change one's mind only a bit later and I don't want to speculate about the reasons what actually changed Letizia's mind.

Since neither she nor her ex ever discussed the reason for their divorce, I wonder why you automatically assume it's Letizia who changed her mind? Ain't we a bit past the time blaming the "fickless woman"?

biboquinhas 08-31-2007 04:02 AM

To me it is very obvious that Cristina and Elena are not best friends of Letizia, to me that is very obvious, but the fact remains that even if they are not best friends they could be friends ate least, but to me that is also a very distance possibility. Elena and Letizia have two beautiful children almous from teh same age, when we saw pcitures of both girls we never saw them playing or running after each other, some normal things, never!! We have never saw them speaking to each other, not a single photo this summer, to me that is very obvious and that means something. I don't consider that Elena is jelaous of Letizia, Elena is a part of the Royal family, she always was and Letizia come later, of course the attentions are always on Letizia, but for Elena maybe that is good for her, the attentions are always on Leonor and Sofia and not on her little daugther, maybe a bit jealous yes but do you think that is all??No I think that there is something more but we will never know!!

Duke of Marmalade 08-31-2007 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_R (Post 659811)
How many times does this issue has to come around to haunt Letizia? She didn't interrupted Felipe, he interrupted her!

The video, 3:25 - This is the translation in English is this:
YouTube - Petición de Mano

The question was directed at her, she was replying and he interrupted her, not the other way around.

Thanks Anna R, it's funny because I too always have to remind myself that it actually was the other way around. I think it comes as this engagement presentation was different to most others, where the new member (the future crown princess) showed off a very low key attitude, speaking calmly and only speaking when being asked. This was very different with Letizia, speaking all the time in a very self assured manner - obviously her true character - while Felipe struggled to have his say, and coming across as very bossy. When Felipe interrupted her and she came up with her famous quote his reaction was very childish, giggling like a silly teenager and one could assume that he will be transformed into a hen-pecked husband :eek: So it got stuck in people's minds that she somehow interrupted him as she totally dominated the situation. At least this is how I feel :smile:

Avalon 08-31-2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biboquinhas (Post 660076)
To me it is very obvious that Cristina and Elena are not best friends of Letizia, to me that is very obvious, but the fact remains that even if they are not best friends they could be friends ate least, but to me that is also a very distance possibility. Elena and Letizia have two beautiful children almous from teh same age, when we saw pcitures of both girls we never saw them playing or running after each other, some normal things, never!! We have never saw them speaking to each other, not a single photo this summer, to me that is very obvious and that means something. I don't consider that Elena is jelaous of Letizia, Elena is a part of the Royal family, she always was and Letizia come later, of course the attentions are always on Letizia, but for Elena maybe that is good for her, the attentions are always on Leonor and Sofia and not on her little daugther, maybe a bit jealous yes but do you think that is all??No I think that there is something more but we will never know!!

I assume you were talking about Cristina, not Elena, since Victoria Federica and Leonor are obvously not close in age. ;)

I'm not saying everything you said is not possible or correct, but remember that Leonor & Irene live in different cities, they don't interact with each other too much, so they are somewhat 'strangers' for each other.

On the other hand Victoria Federica and Felipe Froilán, who live in Madrid, seem to be very close with their little cousin, both are protective of her and Leonor seems to be at ease with them as well. :smile:

biboquinhas 08-31-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon (Post 660092)
I assume you were talking about Cristina, not Elena, since Victoria Federica and Leonor are obvously not close in age. ;)

Yes!:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon
I'm not saying everything you said is not possible or correct, but remember that Leonor & Irene live in different cities, they don't interact with each other too much, so they are somewhat 'strangers' for each other. :smile:

Yes I have not mentioned that but it is most likely that they don't know each other very well, they are most of the time far from each other! Although I think that it is rather strange that we have never seen, this summer, photos of these two together and playing sometimes! Leonor seams to be a very happy baby so I think that she would interact with her cousin with no problem!

adelaide 08-31-2007 07:16 PM

This thread is the most funny one about the Spain Royal Family. Everybody, on the same basis, are doing extrapolation regarding their taught, may be only to write or say something. It's the less documented thread and mainly the expression of the feeling of those who write their posts.

Like that we can invented all the stories that we want, even we can rebuilt totally the Felipe and Letizia 's story!!!!!

Marengo 08-31-2007 07:44 PM

Well, the discussion isn´t only in the thoughts of posters here but a topic in the Spanish media. That makes it relevant for this thread and we are able to discuss it.

But I agree with you in thinking that the bad relations between the King and his daughter-in-law are mostly the results of unfounded newsreports and not based on facts. But still, that is only a thought to and that too is something which I can not prove.