The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Genealogy (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f96/)
-   -   Descendants of Queen Victoria (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f96/descendants-of-queen-victoria-13439.html)

SusanE 07-05-2006 06:11 PM

Descendants of Queen Victoria

I first got interested in royalty about 27 years ago when I read "Jennie," the biography of Winston Churchill's mother. In that book I met Edward VII and his family. Shortly thereafter, I started figuring just which royals were related to each other. Needless to say, they are all related. I thought a thread about Queen Victoria's descendants would fit in nicely here.

I'm looking forward to questions, answers, and discussions on this topic. :)

Lady Jennifer 07-05-2006 07:27 PM

Queen Victoria- The Grandmother of Europe.
Its amazing to see how this one woman contributed to so many countries and to so many families.
She has always fascinated me.

Zonk 07-05-2006 07:47 PM

Victoria has fascinated me as well.

If you can...you should check out the book Victoria's Daughter's. The book discusses the relationship that Victoria has with her daughters. Of course, her sons also made great marriages (ie. Edward with Alexandra of Denmark) but from her daughters we get the Kaiser, and Princess Alice (Prince Phillip's grandmother).

Lady Jennifer 07-05-2006 07:54 PM

I have that book somewhere in my piles of books :D
Its been a while since I've read it. I would love to explore Victoria's relationship with the last Kaiser (Victoria's grandson).

Victoria's descendants have married into all Royal Houses in Europe haven't they?

norwegianne 07-05-2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
Victoria's descendants have married into all Royal Houses in Europe haven't they?

All might be pushing it - but most of them, I think. I'm unsure about the Netherlands, Belgium, Monaco & Liechtenstein, at least. If not Luxembourg as well, although I think there was something there...

SusanE 07-05-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Almost!

Current ruling houses
Denmark: Victoria - Arthur - Margaret - Ingrid - Margrethe II

Norway:
Victoria - Edward VII - Maud - Olav V - Harald V

Spain: Victoria - Beatrice - Ena - Juan - Juan Carlos

Sweden:
Victoria - Arthur - Margaret - Gustaf Adolf - Carl XVI Gustaf

United Kingdom: Victoria - Edward VII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

Some former ruling houses
Greece:
Victoria - Victoria - Sophie - Paul I - Constantine II

Rumania:
Victoria - Alfred - Marie - Carol II - Michael

Yugoslavia:
Victoria - Alfred - Marie - Maria - Peter II - Alexander

SusanE 07-05-2006 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
All might be pushing it - but most of them, I think. I'm unsure about the Netherlands, Belgium, Monaco & Liechtenstein, at least. If not Luxembourg as well, although I think there was something there...

Yes, you are correct. The Belgian royals do descend from Queen Victoria's uncle Leopold who was the first king (Leopold I). And of course, there are many former German duchies, principalities, etc. whose current royals descend from Victoria. An example is Prince Ernst of Hanover, Princess Caroline of Monaco's husband. His grandmother was Kaiser Wilhelm II's daughter and Kaiser Wilhelm II was Queen Victoria's grandson.

SusanE 07-05-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk1189

If you can...you should check out the book Victoria's Daughter's. The book discusses the relationship that Victoria has with her daughters. Of course, her sons also made great marriages (ie. Edward with Alexandra of Denmark) but from her daughters we get the Kaiser, and Princess Alice (Prince Phillip's grandmother).

Yes, Victoria's Daughters by Jerrold M. Packard is excellent as is a recent book about Victoria's five granddaughters who were consorts: Born to Rule: Five Reigning Consorts, Granddaughters of Queen Victoria by Julia P. Gelardi

SusanE 07-05-2006 08:40 PM

Quote:

I would love to explore Victoria's relationship with the last Kaiser (Victoria's grandson).

The Kaiser's only daughter Viktoria Luise wrote her memoirs in a book called The Kaiser's Daughter. It is very interesting reading history from her point of view. Viktoria Luise is the grandmother of former King Constantine of Greece and Queen Sofia of Spain (their mother Frederica was her daughter) and Prince Ernst of Hanover (his father was her son.)

This is a great list of books about Queen Victoria and her family. Many are out of print but I have been able to find some on eBay.

Books about Queen Victoria, her family and her descendants
https://users.uniserve.com/~canyon/royalty_books.htm

norwegianne 07-05-2006 08:40 PM

The books Born to Rule, Queen Victoria's Family, Queen Victoria's Descendants, Victoria's daughters have all been discussed in The Royal Library here at TRF, if anybody wants to check out what other people thought about them, or contribute to the threads ;)

Lady Jennifer 07-05-2006 08:48 PM

Isn't there a Luxembourg branch (even though this branch isn't reigning) that is related to Queen Victoria through Sibilla Weiller?

Oppie 07-05-2006 08:55 PM

Luxembourg

Victoria-Beatrice-Victoria (Ena)-(Infanta)Beatrix-Olimpia-Sibilla

I realize the next three aren't Queen Victoria Descedants but.....I had a wee bit of fun figuring all this out.

Belgium

Frans-Frederick- Leopold I - Leopold II - Albert I- Leopold III - Baudouin (brother) Albert

Frans Frederick - Victoria - Queen Victoria- Edward VII - George V- Geroge VI - Elizabeth II

Monaco

Ludwig-Amile-Karl-Marie-Mary-Louis-Charlotte-Rainier III-Albert II

Ludwig-Louis I -Louis II -Louis III-Louis VI (Married Alice, Queen Victoria daughter)

Ludwig-Louis I -Louis II -Alexander-Louis-Alice- Philip (Duke of Edinburgh)

there is another angle I worked out that connects Monaco through Queen Victoria's husband Albert but I forgot a step somewhere. It all relates back to Ludwig who was a Prince of Baden so I am sure you can connect them in many different ways.

The Netherlands

Georg-Emma-Wihelmina-Juliana-Beatrix

Georg-Helen (married Victoria's son Leopold)-Carl-Sibylla-Carl Gustav (Sweden)

magnik 07-06-2006 01:15 PM

I love this Lady for many years.

Intermarrieges of Queen's descendants https://www.btinternet.com/~allan_ray...rmarriages.htm
Few statistics https://www.btinternet.com/~allan_ray...Statistics.htm
Descendants by Leo van de Pas https://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/royal8d.htm
and descendants to the 7th generation - https://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...t=L&bd=0&color=

Lady Jennifer 07-09-2006 12:46 AM

Here is a link that I just found.
I haven't really explored the site yet, but from what I've seen of it it looks like the author of the site has done a lot of work. It also shows who the eldest living descendants are for each generation.

wymanda 07-09-2006 01:27 AM

Belgium

Aren't the current Belgian & Luxembourg royals descended from Victoria through Queen Ingrid?

Warren 07-09-2006 02:33 AM

Belgians & Badens, Saxe-Coburgs & Swedes, and others

Quote:

Originally Posted by wymanda
Belgium
Aren't the current Belgian & Luxembourg royals descended from Victoria through Queen Ingrid?

No, Queen Ingrid was the daughter of King Gustaf VI Adolf and Princess Margaret of Connaught.
Princess Astrid (later Queen of the Belgians) and her sister Martha (later Queen of Norway) were the daughters of Prince Carl of Sweden (a son of King Oscar II and Princess Sophie of Nassau) and Princess Ingeborg of Denmark (daughter of Frederik VIII and Louise of Sweden).

K Oscar II of Sweden - Gustaf V - Gustaf VI Adolf - Ingrid
K Oscar II of Sweden - Carl - Martha & Astrid

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oppie
there is another angle I worked out that connects Monaco through Queen Victoria's husband Albert but I forgot a step somewhere. It all relates back to Ludwig who was a Prince of Baden so I am sure you can connect them in many different ways.

Grand Dukes Ludwig I and Ludwig II of Baden were unmarried. The Monaco-Baden connection comes via the British aristocracy: Princess Marie (daughter of Grand Duke Karl of Baden) married in 1843 William Douglas-Hamilton, 11th Duke of Hamilton and 8th Duke of Brandon. Their daughter, Lady Mary (1850-1922) married in 1869 Albert I, Sovereign Prince of Monaco (1848-1922). The marriage lasted a year, but produced a son who became Prince Louis II, Prince Rainier's grandfather.

There is a Saxe-Coburg connection with Baden (Princess Alexandrine of Baden married Ernest II, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha who was Prince Albert's elder brother) but I can't see a link between S-C&G and Monaco. Alexandrine was the daughter of Grand Duke Leopold and Sophie of Sweden; Leopold was the son of Karl Friedrich, the first Grand Duke of Baden, by his second marriage, while Grand Duke Karl was the grandson of Karl Friedrich by his first marriage, so the connection is tenuous:

GD Karl Friedrich of Baden (1st m) - Karl - GD Karl - Marie - Mary - Louis of Monaco
GD Karl Friedrich of Baden (2nd m) - GD Leopold - Alexandrine (married to Ernest Saxe-Coburg) [no children].

wymanda 07-09-2006 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren
No, Queen Ingrid was the daughter of King Gustav VI Adolf and Princess Margaret of Connaught.
Princess Astrid (later Queen of the Belgians) and her sister Martha (later Queen of Norway) were the daughters of Prince Carl of Sweden (a son of King Oscar II and Princess Sophie of Nassau) and Princess Ingeborg of Denmark (daughter of Frederik VIII and Louise of Sweden).

Thanks Warren,
Of course they are related one generation further back through Victorias' beloved Uncle Leopold.

Warren 07-09-2006 03:21 AM

Saxe-Coburgs

Quote:

Originally Posted by wymanda
Thanks Warren,
Of course they are related one generation further back through Victorias' beloved Uncle Leopold.

Further back than that Wymanda!
Prince Leopold, 1st King of the Belgians and Prince Albert's father Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha were brothers, so the common ancestors in this line of descent are their parents: Franz, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (1750-1806) and Countess Auguste of Reuss-Lobenstein und Ebersdorf (1757-1831).
Descendents other than those of Queen Victoria include the monarchs and de juré monarchs of Belgium, Bulgaria, France (Bonaparte), Italy and Luxembourg.

Furienna 07-14-2006 08:25 PM

It's very interesting, that even our Swedish royal house are descendants of Queen Victoria through King Carl XVI Gustaf's Brittish grandmother Margareth of Connaught. Even though I knew, that Margareth was Brittish, it wasn't until last year, that I realised, that she was Victoria's granddaughter. Margareth was also the one to bring Victoria's blood to Denmark and Greece. Margareth's daughter Ingrid got married to King Frederik IX of Denmark, and through her daughter Margarete, that blood stayed in the Danish royal family, and through her daughter Anne-Marie, it also came to the Greek royal family. Whoops! I just saw, that Victoria's blood already WAS in the Greek royal family before Anne-Marie of Denmark. But let's say then, that the Greek ex-princes and ex-princesses are descendants to Victoria in two different ways. And Anne-Marie had to be mentioned in this thread too.

Iluvbertie 07-14-2006 09:59 PM

Quote:

Of course the next, and future generations of the UK will have two lines of descent

Victoria - Alice (2nd daughter) - Victoria (Alice's eldest daugher who married Louis of Battenburg) - Alice (Victoria's eldest daughter who married Prince Andrew of Greece) - Philip (the Duke of Edinburgh) - Charles(?) - William(?).

The ? are because that is the future and who knows what the future will bring.

Iluvbertie 07-14-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk1189

Small correction - Alice was Philip's great-grandmother.

Alice's eldest daughter was Victoria and her eldest daughter was Alice. Alice was Philip's mother.

Quin 12-09-2006 06:22 PM

Modern Day Descendants Of Queen Victoria’s Half Siblings

MODERN DAY DESCENDANTS OF QUEEN VICTORIA’S HALF SIBLINGS

Any information on the modern day descendants of Queen Victoria’s half siblings?

And if so, what is their relationship with the current House of Windsor?

Thank you for the comments.

Oppie 12-09-2006 06:32 PM

Feodora's daughter Adelheid had a daughter named Augusta Victoria who had a daughter named Viktoria Luise, Viktroia's son George married Prince Philip's sister and her daughter Fredrika married the King of Greece.

iowabelle 12-09-2006 07:00 PM

I had no idea that Feodora was Augusta Viktoria's grandmother.

There is a lengthy list at www.angelfire.com/in/heinbruins/Leinengen.html.

Some of the names are pretty familiar, and some aren't.

selrahc4 12-09-2006 07:14 PM

Feodora's great-grandson Gottfried of Hohenlohe-Langenburg married Princess Margarita of Greece (sister to Prince Philip).

EmpressRouge 12-09-2006 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle

Wow, so Feodora's granddaughter married Victoria's eldest grandson/child, Kaiser Wilhelm II. Good to know.

Lady Jennifer 12-10-2006 01:40 AM

Didn't Victoria's half-brother's line die out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle

iowabelle- I don't know if its just over the bandwith limit but that link isn't working.

Jo of Palatine 12-11-2006 03:11 AM

Queen Victoria's half sister Anna Feodorovna von Leiningen had these children:
  1. Carl Ludwig Wilhelm Leopold Prinz zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg+ b. 25 Oct 1829, d. 16 May 19071
  2. Elise Prinzessin zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg b. 8 Nov 1830, d. 27 Feb 18502
  3. Hermann Ernst Franz Bernhard VI Fürst zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg+ b. 31 Aug 1832, d. 9 Mar 19131
  4. Viktor Prinz zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg+ b. 11 Dec 1833, d. 31 Dec 18912
  5. Adelheid Prinzessin zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg+ b. 20 Jul 1835, d. 25 Jan 19001
  6. Feodore Viktorie Adelheid Prinzessin zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg+
you can follow their family trees at https://www.thepeerage.com/p10366.htm#i103658.

You end up eg with Queen Sofia of Spain and king Constantine of Greece (via queen Friedericke of Greece) and king Carl XVI. Gustaf of Sweden (via his mother Crown Princess Sybilla).

So Crown Prince Felipe of Spain, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece are descendants of queen Victoria's half sister. Come to think of it, the Head of the House of Prussia ia a descendant, too, because Wilhelm II.'s empress Auguste was a grand-niece of queen Victoria. Via the Hanover-marriage of the emperor's daughter Victoria Luise little Alexandra of Hanover-Grimaldi, the youngest daughter of princess Caroline of Monaco, is a descendant, either. Any Habsburg-link? ;)

leomichel 12-12-2006 06:53 AM

Princess Feodora's Habsburg descendants

Yes, there are habsburg links, and not minor one, since archduchess Regina, wife of Archduke Otto, is also one of Feodora's descendants. The line is as follows:

Princess Feodora zu Leiningen (Queen Victoria's half-sister)/princess Feodora zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg/prince Friedrich of Saxe-Meiningen/Georg, duke of Saxe-Meiningen/princess Regina of Saxe-Meiningen (archduchess Regina)

Source:
https://www.genealogics.org/pedigree....14705&tree=LEO

Do not forget also that, through empress Augusta-Viktoria, Feodora is also one of Grand-duke George Mikhailovich's Ancestors.

To discover Feodora's complete descendants: https://www.genealogics.org/descend.p...04439&tree=LEO

For her brother's issue:
https://www.genealogics.org/descend.p...21431&tree=LEO

morhange 03-23-2007 01:28 AM

List of Queen Victoria's Descendants

victoria

After several days of hard work (spread out over a month, give or take) I present to you a consisce geneology of the descendants of Queen Victoria. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another place that gives so much information in one place. It's usually full of information over a ton of royals and not just limited to Queen V's descendants, so I decided to start up this one for reference.

I have to get a references page up to cite places I got the info, but the geneological data is all here. Hope this is helpful to people :smile: I know I've made mistakes in dates and stuff that I didn't catch the first time around, so feel free to let me know if there are things that I can fix.

Sophus 03-23-2007 04:48 AM

May I just say 'WOW'...
... and thank you! :flowers:

Warren 03-23-2007 08:20 AM

Prodigious research Morhange, congratulations. :flowers:

One thing I noticed.. position 327 - HSH Princess Victoria-Benigna Biron von Curland (or Courland) married Baron Johann von Twickel. My understanding is that their sons are Barons von Twickel, not HSH Princes von Twickel. They could not legitimately claim or assume the title of Prince or the style of Serene Highness through their mother's marriage to a Baron. This princely titling and styling has been carried through to the son and daughter of (Baron) Nikolaus von Twickel at position 690.

The url cross-linking and referencing of the entries must have taken a lot of work, and it makes tracking the relationships so much easier.
This is a great companion with updated data to Marlene Eilers' "Queen Victoria's Descendants". Impressive indeed!

norwegianne 03-23-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morhange
victoria

After several days of hard work (spread out over a month, give or take) I present to you a consisce geneology of the descendants of Queen Victoria. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another place that gives so much information in one place. It's usually full of information over a ton of royals and not just limited to Queen V's descendants, so I decided to start up this one for reference.

I have to get a references page up to cite places I got the info, but the geneological data is all here. Hope this is helpful to people :smile: I know I've made mistakes in dates and stuff that I didn't catch the first time around, so feel free to let me know if there are things that I can fix.

Very impressive.

Just one nitpick - the way you have sorted out the Norwegian royal family makes it look like Marius is also one of Queen Victoria's descendants.

morhange 03-23-2007 11:24 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone :)

I'll get right on those two things. Sometimes when things are getting repetetive, I do things like that. Will get it fixed and udpated :)

Lady Jennifer 03-23-2007 06:23 PM

Good job morhange. The only thing is the background seems a little too busy (but its a great picture!) & its kind of hard to read the links, etc.

Furienna 03-23-2007 09:18 PM

I highlight the text, then it gets easier to read! LOL!

Nice site, Morhange!

morhange 03-23-2007 10:33 PM

I was trying to fix the layout, but for some reason, it doesn't want to cooperate with me :rolleyes:

Marengo 04-11-2007 05:56 PM

Great website morhange. I hope you did not have to do all the research yourself to. If youwant more information about the descendants it might be wise to borrow Marlene Eilers' ' Queen Victoria's Descendants' from you local library (+ the follow-up)

Vanesa 04-12-2007 01:45 AM

It's an amazing work, Morhange. Have my congratulations...Sure, you'd worked hard, my dear! It's a very well done site, with a lot of ressources about Queen Victoria's descendants. A real "must" for all people interested in Queen Victoria's family.

Vanesa.

morhange 06-19-2007 07:35 PM

Count Carl Johan and Lady Katherine

I'm very interested in all of the descendants of Queen Victoria. As of today, all of her children and grandchildren are dead, and all but two of her great-grandchildren are deceased as well. The two that aren't are Count Carl Johan Bernadotte (born Prince Carl Johan of Sweden, Duke of Dalarna) and Lady Katherine Brandram (born Princess Aikaterini of Greece and Denmark)

Like with the survivors of the Titanic (of which there are just two remaining) the last two living great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria will soon no longer be with us. I was just curious to know if anyone knows how these two are doing, health-wise? I know Count Carl Johan is still pretty active, since he recently celebrated his 95th birthday, but I don't hear very much about Lady Katherine. Is she close to her Greek nephew and his family? I think she lives in London, and so do Konstantine and Anne-Marie. Do they visit her often?

fee 06-20-2007 04:16 PM

I am sorry not to be able to help you on your questions about the living GGchildren of QV.
But I sure want to applaud you for your fantastic work.
A family reunion would sure get crowdy;)
However what always strikes me is the fact that nearly all RF can claim some desendance from either Queen Victoria of Britain or from King Christian IX of Denmark (nearly all but the Netherlands:ermm:).

Furienna 06-21-2007 09:44 PM

Carl Johan is 91 years old, not 95. He's not the most famous member of the royal family, but I think we will know when he dies. But actually, he's not even a prince anymore since he got married to a commoner in like the 1940s. But he's our king's uncle.

Julier von Badenth 06-25-2007 11:39 AM

if marrying a commoner means loss of title
what should have happened to the King ??????

Marengo 06-25-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fee (Post 629109)
I am sorry not to be able to help you on your questions about the living GGchildren of QV.
But I sure want to applaud you for your fantastic work.
A family reunion would sure get crowdy;)
However what always strikes me is the fact that nearly all RF can claim some desendance from either Queen Victoria of Britain or from King Christian IX of Denmark (nearly all but the Netherlands:ermm:).

The entire Benelux royals, and the Liechtensteins and Grimaldi's don't descend from Victoria, so let's call it a tie ;)

Furienna 06-25-2007 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julier von Badenth (Post 631074)
if marrying a commoner means loss of title
what should have happened to the King ??????

Edward VIII of United Kingdom had to abdicate. Younger kings, like Carl XVI Gustaf and Harald V, belong to a younger much more liberal generation. No one loses a title because of their marriage today. Well, no one in Europe, anyway.

contessa 08-01-2007 08:43 AM

Family ties through Queen Victoria

Looking at lineage It looks like most of the European royal houses are related through Queen Victoria. If I read it right is there no blood relations through Queen Victoria between the Dutch royal family and the rest of the royal houses? Are any other european royals not in that lineage also?

PrincessKoreen 09-01-2007 12:38 AM

Queen Victoria is blood related to the Dutch royal family. None of the Dutch royals are DESCENDED from her, but they have close family ties. For example, Henry, husband of the late Queen Wilhemina, was the half-brother of the wife of Tsar Nicholas II's uncle. Nicholas was the husband of Victoria's granddaughter Alexandra.

Marengo 09-02-2007 03:46 PM

I believe the closed Queen Victoria was related to her Dutch relatives was through King George II. Victoria descended from George´s son Frederick-Lewis, Prince of Wales while the Dutch RF descends fro George II´s eldest daughter Anne, Princess Royal, who married Prince Willem IV of Orange.

PrincessKoreen 09-03-2007 01:56 PM

That is true. However, the Dutch royals thru Duke Henry also descend from George I's daughter Sophia Dorothea of Hanover, who wed Frederick William I of Prussia. Henry of Mecklenberg-Schwerin, consort to Queen Wilhemina, was the son of Duke Frederick Francis II, the son of Princess Alexandrine of Prussia, and thus a descendant of Sophia Dorothea.

Ironically, Queen Adelaide was the sister of Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont, who wed Leopold, the son of Queen Victoria.

wymanda 09-04-2007 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessKoreen (Post 661947)
Ironically, Queen Adelaide was the sister of Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont, who wed Leopold, the son of Queen Victoria.

Don't you mean Queen Emma?

fee 09-04-2007 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wymanda (Post 662374)

I believe so.
Rumours have it that the Prince of Orange was very much in the market for a daughter of Victoria as his wife. However Vicky, later Empress Frederic, declined his offer, as did two of her sisters Alice and I believe Helena. So he looked elsewhere.;) Otherwise the House of Orange would be included in the list of Victorias descendants.

PrincessKoreen 09-19-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wymanda (Post 662374)

Thanks. Yes, I did. Actually, Queen Emma's first name *was* Adelaide, but she went by "Emma."

Next Star 10-22-2008 08:23 PM

Wow I don't know that the late Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland had some other descentants in other reigning European royal houses.I see why she earned the nickname grandmother of europe.

Odette 10-22-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Star (Post 841730)
Wow I don't know that the late Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland had some other descentants in other reigning European royal houses.I see why she earned the nickname grandmother of europe.

King Chrisitan IX of Denmark was the grandfather of Europe since he supplied the other half of the pairs.

Leslie2006 10-26-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odette (Post 841774)
King Chrisitan IX of Denmark was the grandfather of Europe since he supplied the other half of the pairs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanE (Post 470370)
Almost!

Current ruling houses
Denmark: Victoria - Arthur - Margaret - Ingrid - Margrethe II

Norway: Victoria - Edward VII - Maud - Olav V - Harald V

Spain: Victoria - Beatrice - Ena - Juan - Juan Carlos

Sweden: Victoria - Arthur - Margaret - Gustaf Adolf - Carl XVI Gustaf

Greece: Victoria - Victoria - Sophie - Paul I - Constantine II

Rumania: Victoria - Alfred - Marie - Carol II - Michael

Yugoslavia: Victoria - Alfred - Marie - Maria - Peter II - Alexander

Very nice! :-) You left out Germany though:

Germany: Victoria - Victoria - Wilhelm II - Prince Wilhelm - Louis Ferdinand - Georg Freiderich

jinigirl 10-26-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanE (Post 470370)

Greece:
Victoria - Victoria - Sophie - Paul I - Constantine II

or:
Victoria - Victoria - Wilhelm II - Victoria Luise - Frederika - Constantine II

Leslie2006 12-02-2008 10:19 PM

And of course, Russia. Queen Victoria and Christian IX were on either end of that royal family's lineage.

Queen Victoria - Alice - Alix - OTMAA
Christian IX - MF - Nicholas II - OTMAA

And then the double tie to Prussia:

Queen Victoria - Alice - Irene - Waldemar (and 2 other sons)

jonnydep 10-03-2009 03:26 AM

hi guys,.......if you would like a good read on the queens descendants....try
"grandmama of europe :the crowned descendants of queen victoria" by theo aronson (1973). this excellant book deals with the following descendants of the queen ....

victoria, empress of germany
sophie, queen of greece
edward VII, king of great britain
maud, queen of norway
alexandra, empress of russia
louise, queen of sweden
marie, queen of romania
marie, queen of yugoslavia
ingrid, queen of denmark
victoria eugenie (ena), queen of spain

this book is well worth a read guys.....the best ive read on the subject

enjoy...........:flowers:

Furienna 10-03-2009 10:35 AM

But was Louise Mountbatten really a descendant of Queen Victoria? They were probably related somehow, I'm sure they were, but not that closely. However, Gustaf VI Adolf's first wife, Margareth of Connaught, was one of Victoria's grandchildren.

Marsel 10-03-2009 10:55 AM

:previous:

Yes, Queen Victoria was her maternal great-grandmother (which, incidentally, made her step-children her cousins as well - they were also Queen Victoria's great-grandchildren through their mother).
Louise Mountbatten --> Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine --> Princess Alice of the United Kingdom --> Queen Victoria

Princess Margaret of Connaught was Queen Victoria's granddaughter.
Princess Margaret --> Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught --> Queen Victoria

Incidentally, for those who are interested in a comprehensive list of Queen Victoria King Christian's descendants, there is a magnificent newsletter dealing with the very topic - September 2007 Newsletter: Queen Victoria and King Christian's descendants. Personally I found it very informative. :smile:

iowabelle 10-04-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furienna (Post 999244)
But was Louise Mountbatten really a descendant of Queen Victoria? They were probably related somehow, I'm sure they were, but not that closely. However, Gustaf VI Adolf's first wife, Margareth of Connaught, was one of Victoria's grandchildren.

And of course other Battenberg/Mountbatten descendants of Queen Victoria were Louise's brother, Prince Louis, later known as Earl Mountbatten of Burma; their sister Princess Alice, later Princess Andrew of Greece; and her son, Prince Philip, now Duke of Edinburgh.

Furienna 10-04-2009 07:30 PM

Ah yes. There have been a few famous Mountbattens.

jonnydep 10-06-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furienna (Post 999244)

yes, as marsel has mentioned adove, louise was a descendant of the old queen !!.
moreover there is a third link between the present king of sweden and queen victoria.......his mother princess sibylla was a also a great granddaughter of the old queen.
her father prince charles edward, duke of albany and saxe coburg gotha was in turn the son of prince leopold, duke of albany, the youngest son of queen victoria.
btw charles edward, duke of albany had succeeded his uncle alfred, duke of saxe coburg gotha in 1900 !!......the next duke should have been the very same prince arthur, duke of connaught (father of the adove named margartha), but he had renounced his and his descendants rights of succession to the german duchy !!............:flowers:

Lumutqueen 10-06-2009 03:38 PM

It amazes me how many descendants this woman had.
She was the true Grandmother of Europe. :flowers:

jonnydep 10-06-2009 03:56 PM

yes..... as of 1997. it was said that queen victoria had at least 450 living descendants scattered around the world !! :flowers:

Furienna 10-07-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnydep (Post 1000784)
moreover there is a third link between the present king of sweden and queen victoria.......his mother princess sibylla was a also a great granddaughter of the old queen.
her father prince charles edward, duke of albany and saxe coburg gotha was in turn the son of prince leopold, duke of albany, the youngest son of queen victoria.

Interesting... I knew Gustaf Adolf and Sibylla were second cousins, but I didn't know (or rather, I had forgotten), that it was through Queen Victoria. Thank you for reminding me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnydep (Post 1000801)
yes..... as of 1997. it was said that queen victoria had at least 450 living descendants scattered around the world !! :flowers:

Ah yes, but as she had nine children, who all were married off to other princes or princesses, it's maybe not so strange after all, that her descendants are that many today, so many generations later.

fearghas 10-07-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furienna (Post 1001054)

Ah yes, but as she had nine children, who all were married off to other princes or princesses, it's maybe not so strange after all, that her descendants are that many today, so many generations later.

Two of QVs children have no living descendants. Princess Louise had no children and Princess Helena had only the one grandchild who never had any children.
Considering this and that sevarl branches were 'heavily pruned' (The Romanoffs and the Hess-Darmsdarts) it is still quite an achievement to have so many descendants.

iowabelle 10-08-2009 07:28 PM

I'm actually surprised that there are so few descendants, when compared to other families. My father, for instance, has over 100 first cousins, and if you go back to an ancestor who died ca. 1900, I'm pretty sure you'd find more than 450 descendants.

Furienna 10-08-2009 08:55 PM

Wow, over 100 first cousins? And I thought my mother had many first cousins... Well, that just shows how many descendants a person can have after a few generations.

jonnydep 10-09-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnydep (Post 1000801)

i would also like to add that the queen had a total of 820 recorded descendants in all !!

Royal Fan 10-09-2009 02:38 PM

820 wow! Are the Hapsburgs related too

jonnydep 10-09-2009 03:24 PM

yes the old queen has some habsburg descendants....her great grandaughter princess ileana of rumania had married archduke anton of austria / prince of tuscany in 1931, they had several children !! :flowers:

two other links with the habsburgs....
prince max, margrave of baden had married archduchess valerie of austra / princess of tuscany in 1966, whilst his brother prince ludwig of baden had married princess mariannne of auersburg breunner in 1967. her mother was a member of a morganatic branch of the habsburg family.....the counts / countesses von meran.......

MAfan 10-09-2009 04:43 PM

Descendants of Victoria von Hannover
This website reports 1047 descendants of Queen Victoria...a very big number!

jonnydep 10-09-2009 05:55 PM

thanks buddy for the update......as i had mentioned my set of two figures were as of 1997 some years ago now !! ;)

Furienna 10-10-2009 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAfan (Post 1002324)
Descendants of Victoria von Hannover
This website reports 1047 descendants of Queen Victoria...a very big number!

Let me just say WOW! :eek:

jonnydep 10-10-2009 03:25 PM

links with the house of savoy

there has been marriages between the queens descendants and the house of savoy......

prince philipp, landgrave of hesse had married princess mafalda of italy in 1925.....and
princess irene of greece had married prince aimone, 4th duke of aosta in 1939..... :biggrin:

Royal Fan 10-11-2009 12:12 AM

Whats Landgrave mean??

MAfan 10-11-2009 05:31 AM

Landgrave is the translation of the german Landgraf, the title of the rulers and the Heads of the Hesse(-Kassel) Family.

jonnydep 10-11-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAfan (Post 1002987)
Landgrave is the translation of the german Landgraf, the title of the rulers and the Heads of the Hesse(-Kassel) Family.

wasnt prince phillpp, considered the head of the whole house of hesse, besides that of hesse kassel.

i think this came abt with the death of his cousin prince ludwig of hesse and by rhine in 1968.....he died without issue !!. however some years before prince ludwig had adopted as his son, prince moritz of hesse kassel, the eldest son of prince philipp and princess mafala of italy!!

btw prince ludwig of hesse and by rhine is another descendant of queen victoria, through her daughter princess alice, grand duchess of hesse , whilst prince philipp is descended from another of the queens daughters victoria empress of germany......:smile:

MAfan 10-11-2009 06:29 AM

You're right in your considerations;
Prince Philipp of Hessen-Kassel became Landgrave of Hessen in 1940, at the death of his father Friedrich Karl. He married in 1925 Princess Mafalda of Savoy, with whom he had 4 children.
In 1968 he became the head of ass the House of Hesse, on the death of Grand Duke Ludwig, a son of Grand Duke Ernst-Ludwig (brother of Empress Alexandra of Russia, Grand Duchess Elisabeth of Russia and the Marchioness of Milford Heaven) and Grand Duchess Eleonore.
Philipp died in 1980, and he was succeded in all his titles by his firstborn son Mauritz, who has been adopted in the 60s by Grand Duke Ludwig.
Mauritz is also the claimants to the throne of Finland, claims inherited by his younger brother Heinrich, who had inherited them by their uncle Wolfgang, twin brother of Philipp.

jonnydep 10-11-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAfan (Post 1003008)
Mauritz is also the claimants to the throne of Finland, claims inherited by his younger brother Heinrich, who had inherited them by their uncle Wolfgang, twin brother of Philipp.

yes......the landgrave friedrich karl (father of philipp) was elected king of finland sometime in oct 1918, but he withdrew acceptance the following month !!(the british and french would not accept a brother in law of the kaiser as the king of finland) so i can not see as to why any of his decendants should be considered as cliamants to the throne of finland !!. true prince wolfgang was envisoned to be the crown prince of finland, but nothing more !!.

another unlikely scenario is......would the princes von hessen be considered to be claimants to the throne of rumania today !!. for in july 1941, the germans wished to depose king michael (yet another descendant of queen victoria) and place instead his cousin prince friedrich of hohenzollern sigmaringen as king. but the italians perferred and regarded prince philipp, landgrave of hesse as king...............:whistling:

MAfan 10-11-2009 09:23 AM

But this last thing was only an idea of the Germans...nothing happened...so...
Moreover there are strict family relationships between King Michael of Romania and Landgrave Moritz of Hessen, since they are second cousins, it would not be a nice thing to claim to hsi cousin's (ex) throne...

jonnydep 10-11-2009 10:58 AM

well mafan.......it is just as absurd for the princes von hessen to be regarded to have a claim to the throne of finland than that of rumania !!.

why.....being elected a king is not the same as being a king......the landgrave of hesse was never inaugurated as the king of finland !!

it would be like the descendants of prince alfred (son of queen victoria), being regarded as claimants to the throne of greece, because it so happened that he was once elected king of greece before that of prince william of denmark !!. some years later prince williams brother, prince waldemar of denmark was elected (or at least was offered) the throne of bulgaria.....does this mean that his descendants are regarded as claimants to that throne ? well no.....

thus imo the princes von hessen should not be regarded as claimants to the throne of finland !! .......:flowers:

Warren 10-11-2009 11:20 AM

Let's not get too far off topic. The term "claimant" does not necessarily mean the person is claiming or has ever claimed anything.

jonnydep 10-11-2009 03:03 PM

my apologies

sorry warren !!
well you know how it is.....one thing leads to another.....;)

ChantalC 10-11-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furienna (Post 1002595)
Let me just say WOW! :eek:

I agree. WOW, it's amazing that QV had 1047 descendants. I've heard that QV had a huge family but I never knew how many descedants she had.

jonnydep 10-12-2009 03:55 PM

ties of marriage between queen victoria's descendant's

it may be of interest that there has been 21 marriages between the descendants of the queen !! (as of 1997)
in no particular order.....
1, prince louis ferdinand of prussia / grand duchess kira of russia 1938
2, prince franz wilhelm of prussia / grand duchess maria of russia 1976
3, prince andreas of leinigen / princess alexandra of hanover 1981
4, prinnce georg wilhelm of hanover / princess sophie of greece* 1946
5, king paul I of greece / princess friederike of hanover 1938
6, prince hienrich of prussia / princess irene of hesse 1888
7, prince andrej of yugoslavia* / princess chrisitna of hesse 1956
8, king george II of greece / princess elizabeth of rumania 1921
9, king peter II of yugoslavia / princess alexandra of greece 1944
10, king carol II of rumania / princess helen of greece 1921
11, king juan carlos of spain / princess of sophie of greece 1962
12, king constantine of greece / princess anne marie of denmark 1964
13, prince christoph of hesse / princess sophie of greece* 1930
14, prince philip of greece / queen elizabeth II of great britain 1947
15, prince arthur of connaught / princess (lady) alexandra (duff) 1913
16, prince gottfried of hohenlohe langenburg / princess margartia of greece 1931
17, prince tomislav of yugoslvia / princess margarita of baden 1957
18, grand duke georg of hesse / princess cecilia of greece 1931
19, grand duke ernst of hesse / princess victoria melita of saxe coburg gotha 1894
20, prince andrej of yuogoslavia* / princess kira melita of leiningen 1963
21, prince gustaf adolf of sweden / princess sibylla of saxe coburg gotha 1932
*denotes the same person

jonnydep 10-13-2009 07:39 AM

another habsburg link

i had forgotten to mention, that the mother in law of queen victoria eugenie "ena" of spain (granddaughter of queen victoria) was born a habsburg.....
queen maria christina of spain was born into the teschen branch of the habsburg family. her mother had married twice and by her first husband (an archduke of austria este) she had a daughter maria theresa, who went on to be queen of bavaria.
btw this queen of bavaria, upon the death of queen victoria in 1901 was proclaimed queen mary IV / III of great britain, as she was the rep and heir gen of king charles I of england !!! :smile:

fearghas 10-13-2009 08:54 AM

And as QV had a sister and a brother, how many of their descendants have married QV descendants.
One important one.
Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany (grandson of QV) married Princess Augusta Victoria of Schleswig Holstein Augustenburg (granddaughter of QVs sister, Princess Feodara of Leingen.
Another
Prince Ernst of Hohenlohe Langenburg (grandson of Princess Feodara of Leinginen) married Prinxess Alexandra of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Grandaughter of QV)

jonnydep 10-13-2009 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearghas (Post 1004149)
Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany (grandson of QV) married Princess Augusta Victoria of Schleswig Holstein Augustenburg

btw.... the uncle of empress augusta, prince christian of schleswig holstein sonderburg augustenburg had married princess helena, the 3rd daughter of queen victoria.....:biggrin:

jonnydep 10-13-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessKoreen (Post 669492)
Thanks. Yes, I did. Actually, Queen Emma's first name *was* Adelaide, but she went by "Emma."

her full name was....adelhied emma wilhelmine therese !!.

btw one of queens emma's sisters (elisabeth) , had married prince alaxander of erbach schonburg. his mother marie was a princess of battenburg and two of her brothers married into queen victorias family...
prince louis of battenburg married princess victoria of hesse, a granddaughter of queen victoria. whilst prince henry of battenburg married princess beatrice, the youngest daughter and child of queen victoria....:biggrin:

allanraymond 01-26-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer (Post 472206)
Here is a link that I just found.
I haven't really explored the site yet, but from what I've seen of it it looks like the author of the site has done a lot of work. It also shows who the eldest living descendants are for each generation.

The author of the link is still attempting to keep the details up to date.

Allan Raymond

allanraymond 01-26-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnydep (Post 1003871)
it may be of interest that there has been 21 marriages between the descendants of the queen !! (as of 1997)
in no particular order.....
1, prince louis ferdinand of prussia / grand duchess kira of russia 1938
2, prince franz wilhelm of prussia / grand duchess maria of russia 1976
3, prince andreas of leinigen / princess alexandra of hanover 1981
4, prinnce georg wilhelm of hanover / princess sophie of greece* 1946
5, king paul I of greece / princess friederike of hanover 1938
6, prince hienrich of prussia / princess irene of hesse 1888
7, prince andrej of yugoslavia* / princess chrisitna of hesse 1956
8, king george II of greece / princess elizabeth of rumania 1921
9, king peter II of yugoslavia / princess alexandra of greece 1944
10, king carol II of rumania / princess helen of greece 1921
11, king juan carlos of spain / princess of sophie of greece 1962
12, king constantine of greece / princess anne marie of denmark 1964
13, prince christoph of hesse / princess sophie of greece* 1930
14, prince philip of greece / queen elizabeth II of great britain 1947
15, prince arthur of connaught / princess (lady) alexandra (duff) 1913
16, prince gottfried of hohenlohe langenburg / princess margartia of greece 1931
17, prince tomislav of yugoslvia / princess margarita of baden 1957
18, grand duke georg of hesse / princess cecilia of greece 1931
19, grand duke ernst of hesse / princess victoria melita of saxe coburg gotha 1894
20, prince andrej of yuogoslavia* / princess kira melita of leiningen 1963
21, prince gustaf adolf of sweden / princess sibylla of saxe coburg gotha 1932
*denotes the same person

https://www.btinternet.com/~allan_raymond/QV_Intermarriages.htm provides some more information.

Allan Raymond

bourdain 05-07-2010 11:26 AM

This is just the post I was looking for. In fact, I posted a thread, asking exactly for this kind of information. Thanks! This is a long line.

Hereditary Thane 05-08-2010 06:46 AM

Not forgetting the legitimate but non-dynastic descendants of British sovereigns (Queen Victoria's numerous FitzClarence cousins and others) and indeed the legitimate or otherwise issue of unions not granted acceptance by order in council decisions.
Despite the very narrow gene pool of German feudal families they have been surprisingly prolific.

LordMountbatten 05-09-2010 12:08 AM

Almost all the heirs to the European monarchies were the offspring of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria.Their marriage was pivotal to the spreadof the family’s influence over Europe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanE (Post 470374)
Yes, you are correct. The Belgian royals do descend from Queen Victoria's uncle Leopold who was the first king (Leopold I). And of course, there are many former German duchies, principalities, etc. whose current royals descend from Victoria. An example is Prince Ernst of Hanover, Princess Caroline of Monaco's husband. His grandmother was Kaiser Wilhelm II's daughter and Kaiser Wilhelm II was Queen Victoria's grandson.

Don't forget that Queen Victoria's husband Albert is the second son of a small German dukedom. So, it's no surprise that these royals are descendants.

Vasillisos Markos 05-09-2010 01:22 AM

And don't forget that Christian IX of Denmark was the Grandfather of Europe. He, like Victoria, has many descendants on the thrones of Europe.

LordMountbatten 05-12-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos (Post 1078537)
And don't forget that Christian IX of Denmark was the Grandfather of Europe. He, like Victoria, has many descendants on the thrones of Europe.

I wonder what would have happened if he was successful in seeking the hand of Queen Victoria or if she fell in love with him instead of Prince Albert. All European monarchies would probably be relatives.

MAfan 05-12-2010 05:14 PM

Well, in this case I'm pretty sure that he would not have become King of Denmark, a personal union of UK and Denmark was rather unlikely; and of course, Victoria's son would nothave married Christian's daughter.
Anyway, all European monarchs are already all relatives.

royalflush 05-22-2010 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 472239)
Further back than that Wymanda!
Prince Leopold, 1st King of the Belgians and Prince Albert's father Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha were brothers, so the common ancestors in this line of descent are their parents: Franz, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (1750-1806) and Countess Auguste of Reuss-Lobenstein und Ebersdorf (1757-1831).
Descendents other than those of Queen Victoria include the monarchs and de juré monarchs of Belgium, Bulgaria, France (Bonaparte), Italy and Luxembourg.

So there are still monarchs out there who are not related to Queen Victoria? It really amazes me that most of the European monarchies are descendants of Queen Victoria and marrying each other.