The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana? (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f44/should-camilla-attend-the-memorial-service-for-diana-13349.html)

TheTruth 07-24-2007 12:51 PM

Should Camilla attend the memorial service for Diana?

I would like to start a poll on this question but it's a little controversial so if the moderators think it's a worthless thread that could cause some fight then delete it, no problem with me :flowers:.

hibou 07-24-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth (Post 644793)
I would like to start a poll on this question but it's a little controversial so if the moderators think it's a worthless thread that could cause some fight then delete it, no problem with me :flowers:.

It's an interesting question if we can all be civil. My thought is that she is going to get it one way or the other depending on how you viewed her before and after her marriage to Charles. Personally I think if William and Harry invited her then she should go but keep a low profile. Perhaps have Charles sitting with the boys and Camilla one row back sitting with Andrew, Anne, and Edward and their spouses. I would have to check the protocol on that one - so I'm just guessing it would be ok to do that.

princess leonor 07-24-2007 01:21 PM

That sure is a very controversial question. In my opinion she should not be allowed to go. It's a memorial service in memory of Diana and she has no place to be there. Unless ofcourse as you alrready indicated it is personally asked to her by both Diana's sons, and even than somewhere in the back. I'm actually quite interested in whether she'll go

Duke of Marmalade 07-24-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibou (Post 644804)
It's an interesting question if we can all be civil. My thought is that she is going to get it one way or the other depending on how you viewed her before and after her marriage to Charles. Personally I think if William and Harry invited her then she should go but keep a low profile. Perhaps have Charles sitting with the boys and Camilla one row back sitting with Andrew, Anne, and Edward and their spouses. I would have to check the protocol on that one - so I'm just guessing it would be ok to do that.

I agree here, go if invited, and then keep the lowest profile possible.

popy 07-24-2007 01:50 PM

Even if invited, In my opinion Camilla should not go.

blondie28 07-24-2007 02:05 PM

She should only go if William and Harry invited her, but the thing is would she want to go because she knows that if she does she will be the one making headlines the next morning.

kimlan 07-24-2007 02:08 PM

I hope the princes do not invite Camilla. In my opinion, a presence of Camilla seems like a slap or a smear of mug on Princess Diane's face

selrahc4 07-24-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimlan (Post 644825)
I hope the princes do not invite Camilla. In my opinion, a presence of Camilla seems like a slap or a smear of mug on Princess Diane's face

Too late, I think. She has already been invited by them.

milla Ca 07-24-2007 02:24 PM

Camilla is invited from the Princes William and Harry. And she will attend the memorial service. You can read it on the Prince of Wales website!
The absolutely right decision!
Sheīs the wife of the Prince of Wales and the stepmother to the two Princes. They all want to have her there. And she will be . Iīm sure by the side of her husband and nowhere else.

Madame Royale 07-24-2007 02:31 PM

It is a controversial topic but one I think relevant, as long as the tone of the thread can be kept civil, at best.

Should she, or shouldn't she?

Yes and No, but considering it's either one or the other then it would have to be yes in my opinion.

Camilla has a duty to perform, an obligation to the family which she is now a senior member and a duty to her two step sons and their father, her husband. And dare I say it, to Diana herself.

Acknowledging her not as an 'adversary' of sorts but as a devoted mother, a wife, an active humanitarian campaigner and as the woman who, personal issues between the two aside, did alot of good for a great many people throughout her short life. Giving thanks for the life of an extroadinary lady, though not without her misgivings, who remains (even in death) in a position by where her memory and works are still continued by the various organizations and institutions she supported and worked along side. In my mind, that is something worth giving thanks for.

Charles was Diana's husband and I believe he did grow to love her, not in the way a husband necessarily should but nonetheless, she was a very large part of his life for many years and bore him two sons, both of whom he loves endlessly. Diana was his wife and nothing shall ever change that.

But...

They truly didn't like one another (added: one would think) and Camilla's presence at the service is sure to get up peoples noses given the tumultuous and disdainful nature of the 'relationship' (if one can call it that) between the two. If Camilla were still a private citizen, I'm inclined to think she would not have attended let alone been invited, nor would have she watched the telecast I'm inclined to assume.

Here is a woman who brought about much anxiety and pain for Diana (it went both ways), and knowing that isn't so easy to forget..least of all for factions of the public.

Even so, we can't control where it is cupid's arrow falls and she does love Charles, that is clear and I believe that Diana would wan't him to be happy as I am sure he did her aswell.

My hope is that Camilla wants to be there and isn't just going because she either has to, or feels obligated. That would be a gross insult and I'd prefer her not to attend if that were the case, which of course we have no way of knowing either way. Yet, I'm hopeful she is not the kind of woman to do that...Royal Duchess or not!

It is an interesting topic and it shall be interesting to see how long it stays open...:biggrin:

Saphire 07-24-2007 02:31 PM

I think that out of respect she shouldn't attend. Diana did not like her, so for that reason alone she should stay away.

royaltywatcher 07-24-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 644831)
I think that out of respect she shouldn't attend. Diana did not like her, so for that reason alone she should stay away.

I agree. It's simple, really. Diana would be appalled.

BeatrixFan 07-24-2007 02:45 PM

Couldn't care less. If I had my way then nobody would be going. I won't get my way however so I shall have to ensure a media block out as this dirge continues.

milla Ca 07-24-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 644830)
It is an interesting topic and it shall be interesting to see how long it stays open...:biggrin:

I really like it that you give good arguments to explain you opinion, Madame Royale.
But i donīt agree that itīs an interesting topic. Here you can find only the same old stuff for and against Diana or Camilla, we can read in all other threads with similar topics.
And again the question is not whether Camilla will attend or not, you can only like or dislike that she will attend.

Skydragon 07-24-2007 02:52 PM

Like BeatrixFan, I wish she could turn around and tell everyone to get lost and put her feet up with a nice glass of wine. Diana with her imaginings and excuses caused a great deal of misery for Camilla, especially with the bitchy remark about there being three in the marriage from the beginning, when she clearly knew that was untrue.

Harry told everyone they 'love her to bits', William is clearly happy in her company and she gets on well with all the royals it would seem.

William and Harry invited her and of course she should sit in her rightful place, along side her husband.

libra65 07-24-2007 02:54 PM

I think since the boys invited her, she will attend. However, she probably would have been relieved if they hadn't invited her. She knows that the press will be all over her presence and everyone will be whispering. She may try to keep a low profile but you know the press. :ermm: Oh well, keep a stiff upper lip and do your duty Camilla.:walesflag:

Skydragon 07-24-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphire (Post 644831)
Diana did not like her, so for that reason alone she should stay away.

When she died, Diana didn't like half the people who are going to be there, so......

lyndaW 07-24-2007 03:21 PM

Regardless its a loose loose situation for her

acdc1 07-24-2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibou (Post 644804)

Well said. I agree, if William and Harry invited her, she should be able to go. Whether she does go or not I'm not sure, that's her decision. I also agree that having Charles and the boys sitting together, as well as people from Diana's family or extremely close friends, should have priority, and then Camilla sitting with Andrew, Anne, Edward, and any other royals who are there. I don't think that she should come if she would make a huge deal about herself, or William and Harry didn't ask her to come. That wouldn't be fair, since it's not about her. But I think everything will be o.k.

Skydragon 07-24-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 644876)
I also agree that having Charles and the boys sitting together, as well as people from Diana's family or extremely close friends, should have priority, and then Camilla sitting with Andrew, Anne, Edward, and any other royals who are there.

I am astounded by the suggestion from people on here, that Camilla should not sit with Charles and the boys, who whether you like it or not are part of her family as she is theirs.

It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.

BeatrixFan 07-24-2007 04:33 PM

This is just getting spiteful now. Why don't we stick Camilla in a shed? Will that suit you instead? That woman has had a concert, now she's getting a memorial service, her fanatics should consider themselves lucky because if the intelligent majority in Britain had their say it wouldn't be happening at all and it wouldn't be an excuse for people to bash the hell out of Camilla.

Elspeth 07-24-2007 04:41 PM

This is a classic lose-lose situation. If she goes, the press has a field day on the subject of "how insensitive! how hurtful! what would poor Diana think?" If she doesn't go, it'll be "aha! guilty conscience!" "see, that just goes to show that Diana's sons hate her!" Whatever she does will create press headlines, almost certainly unfavourable, so she may as well do what Charles wants her to do since we know for dead certain that she'll never in a million years do it right where the Daily Mail is concerned.

bbb 07-24-2007 04:44 PM

sadly i thinks camilla can't win either way. if she goes people will resent it, if she doesn't people will talk about that too. i hope she follows her heart and does what she feels is best for the boys and her husband. she has yet to go to an event and try to steal center attention, i can't imagine her doing so on purpose at this event, however the press i fear will make her the story no matter what she does.

selrahc4 07-24-2007 04:50 PM

Well, the "can't win either way" applies only to the media reports and perception. She can, of course, win in one way and that is to go along with what her husband, step-sons, and all the family want her to do. Being a winner in their eyes is what counts.

Martha 07-24-2007 04:56 PM

Camila shouldnīt assist to the memorial of Diana. I donīt understant why did William and Harry invite Her?

BeatrixFan 07-24-2007 04:56 PM

Because she's their step-mother and they love her?

hornsen 07-24-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 644893)
Camila shouldnīt assist to the memorial of Diana. I donīt understant why did William and Harry invite Her?

What do you know for sure about their relationship? What do we all know? May be she nursed them after the death of their mother? Canīt imagine Charles or a few nannies did it all alone.
For me it is no question: she has to go to the service. And she will. And she is not the person who likes to be in the center. Did you see it ever? (only if Charles draw attention to her in public).

Henri M. 07-24-2007 05:15 PM

non-discussion

I find it a non-discussion anyway. It has already been announced that the royal family will attend the remembrance service for Diana, Princess of Wales.

We can jump high and low, but the two only persons who matter in this are the Princes William and Harry. They have requested their father and stepmother's attendance and that was it. We have to respect their decision and leave them in peace.

philqc 07-24-2007 05:25 PM

I think that she will attend... Charles will not go to the service without her... it will be an occasion to make history and turn the page... Diana is certainly happy to see her former husband happy and her two boys also happy and united...but i'm sure that Camilla will be there with the Queen Mother's pearls necklace.... Queen Mother's earrings... Queen Mother's diamonds bracelet.... Queen Mother's brooch and of course an enormous hat...

TheTruth 07-24-2007 05:55 PM

I started this poll so maybe I should stay neutral but I can't help but opening my mouth again. If William and Harry did invite her, it's because it's probably the best thing to do. Diana loved her boys and was proud of them so if it's their choice no biggie. Although, the press won't think like me. Anyway the press is lunatic, one day they adore you the next they throw you in the trash.

Skydragon 07-24-2007 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha (Post 644893)

Quite possibly they know the truth about their mothers allegations and because of that are more than happy to ensure the woman who has been a friend to them over the years, is there as a much loved guest.

Some legacy! :eek:

TheTruth 07-24-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 644926)
Quite possibly they know the truth about their mothers allegations

I wouldn't go that far but I believe they have learnt to appreciate Camilla, they want their father to be happy and he is when he's with Camilla so ... :flowers:

Roslyn 07-24-2007 06:39 PM

It's definitely a lose-lose situation for Camilla as far as the press is concerned. She has to go though because on balance it would be worse if she did not.

If she doesn't go, people will likely see that as a pointed snubbing of Diana, and a specific insult, and the press will have a field day. If she just goes with the flow and attends with everyone else, she will be criticised by the usual people for all the usual reasons, but at least she'll be there at her husband's side and submitting herself to public scrutiny and "facing the music", as it were.

It's quite possible that a number of the people who attend will not have particularly liked Diana at the time of her death, or that Diana didn't like them, but Camilla is the only one whose right to attend is being questioned.

It is a memorial service, to recognise Diana's good points and contribution to society. I am as sure as I can be that Camilla recognised Diana's good qualities and was saddened by her death. Diana's sons have invited Camilla and Charles wants her there and she is his wife and should go. She is probably dreading it, and looking forward to it being over, and so am I. Maybe then Diana will be allowed to rest. She's been dead for 10 years after all, and it's time for her to be allowed to gracefully retire into history and let the living get on with it.

charmed4sure 07-24-2007 06:58 PM

I think she should go. William and Harry, the two most important people on that day (besides Diana of course) want her there, so i think the public and press should step back and focus on the death of Diana not whether or not Camilla is there or not. It was years ago and people have grown and changed and i think the public/press need to respect that and allow the day to be filled with remembrance.

TheTruth 07-24-2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roslyn (Post 644939)
It is a memorial service, to recognise Diana's good points and contribution to society. I am as sure as I can be that Camilla recognised Diana's good qualities and was saddened by her death.

Wow, some members would hardly disagree with you but I do agree. Charles was very sad and when you love someone, that is suffering as he must have at this moment you can't say : "Ah, I never liked this girl, always this 'ridiculous person' to me' " or "she never loved you". If Camilla weren't Charles's mistress, she would have been a good friend to Diana. Alright, I know I'm gonna get killed for saying that but it's my opinion :flowers:.

kaffir 07-24-2007 07:22 PM

I think if she doesn't go it will keep a rift, which needs to be healed for the sake of the continuance of the monarchy, open.

sirhon11234 07-24-2007 08:02 PM

If William and Harry didn't invite Camilla to the memorial then she shouldn't go she has no place there. She wasn't Diana's family or friend.

kimebear 07-24-2007 08:32 PM

I don't think Camilla should attend. It's not the Camilla v Diana thing, they were both pretty nasty. I just don't see Camilla genuinely mourning Diana and to pretend to is just not right. If she has bad feelings over Diana's death, then it's probably more guilt than genuine regard, like many people feel when someone dies that they haven't been particularly friendly to during life. (I'm not trying to make Camilla out to be a monster here, many many people feel that kind of guilt after a death). Of course I'm just speculating as we all do here.

Camilla will take Diana's place at her son's weddings, christining of Diana's grandchildren and every other major event in her son's lives. She will become queen as she should, she is a good wife to Charles. But in this one instance a "health issue" keeping her from attending may not go amiss.

Philippe Egalite' 07-24-2007 08:36 PM

This reminds us all how tough positions of high profile may be at times.
Camilla is between a rock and a hard place. No matter what she decides to do, she is going to be criticized and praised at the same time.
If she doesn't go, those who like her will say that she acted out of discretion, and those who don't, that she feels guilty.
On the other hand, if she goes, her enemies will call her a hypocrit, and her fans, courageous and a unifying force in the family.

Vanesa 07-24-2007 08:49 PM

Poor woman...Everyone is ready to get her to pieces. It must be very hard for her to be in the current situation she is. Every signle thing she does is compared to Lady Diana. Duchess Camilla is herself, and lady Diana was Lady Diana. The trouble here is that Prince Charles loved Camilla, not her first wife. And the medias...Oh! The medias are always there ready to make money of everyone. They needs to speak: is their work. So, if Duchess Camilla does a thing, they attacks her, and if not they does the same thing. No way...:neutral:

Vanesa.

banda_windsor 07-24-2007 08:54 PM

I think she should go. 1st to respect Diana and 2nd because the boys invited her.

sirhon11234 07-24-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Camilla will take Diana's place at her son's weddings, christining of Diana's grandchildren and every other major event in her son's lives.
uh, no she won't Camilla is William and Harry's step-mother Diana is their mother Camilla can't replace her and nor should she try to.

Madame Royale 07-24-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milla Ca (Post 644835)
But i donīt agree that itīs an interesting topic. Here you can find only the same old stuff for and against Diana or Camilla, we can read in all other threads with similar topics.

I do understand the statement it is you are making, and from the standpoint you have taken, I can agree, milla Ca.

Though I failed to adequately express that I was meaning the entire topic (indignant slinging matches aside), not just in this thread alone as it has encouraged huge amounts of interest and debate.

Quote:

And again the question is not whether Camilla will attend or not, you can only like or dislike that she will attend.
But of course it's a question which is being asked. Will she or won't she (confirmation aside)? And I do believe she shall, which is, in my view, the only thing to do.

Madame Royale 07-24-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 644879)
It's amazing that the woman you keep telling us, was loving, caring, a great humanitarian, could continue to cause so much division for some, 10 years after her death. What a legacy of hope and forgiveness she leaves through her fans.

The devide remains on both sides I believe it's fair and accurate to say.

Certainly it is evident within this forum alone.

BeautyLeonor 07-24-2007 09:38 PM

I think that she would not have to be present.

acdc1 07-24-2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 644879)
I am astounded by the suggestion from people on here, that Camilla should not sit with Charles and the boys, who whether you like it or not are part of her family as she is theirs.

Okay, first of all, yes, Camilla is a part of their family now. In any other situation, it would be certainly appropriate for her to be with them in each and every way. But this is a memorial service for Diana, the woman who Camilla hurt so badly. I think it is a huge step for William and Harry to invite her to the service, knowing how she and their mother felt about each other. It's not a bad step; this is a very good thing! But I think that Camilla, under these delicate curcumstances, should try to keep herself as low-key as possible. I mean, many of the people who will be at the service were not on what could be called "sunshiney" terms with Diana. I don't even know how Diana herself would feel about them coming, but I think that she would know that her boys helped with this, and if they think that Camilla or anyone else should come, then they are right in their decisions.

TheTruth 07-24-2007 09:45 PM

The media got on Diana, now on Camilla, next : William's wife ! The media adores, the media destroys, the media rules. It seems that no one can escape this terrible tornado that is the media.

philqc 07-24-2007 09:50 PM

I don't know if The Duchess of York was invited?? She was at the funeral with her husband and daughters.

love_cc 07-24-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 644999)
Okay, first of all, yes, Camilla is a part of their family now. In any other situation, it would be certainly appropriate for her to be with them in each and every way. But this is a memorial service for Diana, the woman who Camilla hurt so badly. I think it is a huge step for William and Harry to invite her to the service, knowing how she and their mother felt about each other. It's not a bad step; this is a very good thing! But I think that Camilla, under these delicate curcumstances, should try to keep herself as low-key as possible. I mean, many of the people who will be at the service were not on what could be called "sunshiney" terms with Diana. I don't even know how Diana herself would feel about them coming, but I think that she would know that her boys helped with this, and if they think that Camilla or anyone else should come, then they are right in their decisions.

Sorry, Camilla is the wife of Prince Charles, and the stepmother of Prince William and Prince Harry. IMHO, she has to sit with her husband and her stepsons. IMO Camilla always keeps a quite low profile during her life. It is not her whom wants the attention but first Diana then the media itself wanting to put the attention on Camilla. I would rather Camilla does not attendent the service but since the princess invited her and she will attend the serivice.

kimebear 07-25-2007 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhon11234 (Post 644986)
uh, no she won't Camilla is William and Harry's step-mother Diana is their mother Camilla can't replace her and nor should she try to.

She can't replace Diana in their hearts, but Camilla will be standing next to Charles during these important events and it will be her that their children consider their grandmother because she will be there. It's not meant meanly, just as a matter of fact.

Jo of Palatine 07-25-2007 12:26 AM

Camilla invited her former husband and his second wife (who was the reason for the divorce, IIRC) to her birthday party. If she can be so forgiving, why should we believe the saintly Diana could not be so forgiving to her? Or is Camilla nicer or more human than Diana ever was and the Di-fans know that subconciously?

milla Ca 07-25-2007 02:03 AM

We all here will never know what Camilla feels about going the service. But i can imagine that it will be not the nightmare some people wish she will have.
She is such a tough Lady and has the full support of her husband and her stepsons said that they love her.
So i think she will manage the situation with grace and dignity.

Henri M. 07-25-2007 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milla Ca (Post 645054)
So i think she will manage the situation with grace and dignity.

That is what I think as well.

The Duchess of Cornwall has made an excellent record as royal lady so far and has -unexpectedly- turned out to be an asset to the monarchy. Not only brings she joie de vivre into Clarence House, she also seems very important for the wellbeing and confidence of the future King and is loved by his sons.

From all predicted negativeness towards the Duchess, to begin with her famous wedding day in Windsor, nothing has come true so far. And I'm sure that a most dignified Duchess will simply follow her spouse and stepsons into the Church.

Maxie 07-25-2007 04:33 AM

I think this is a total non-discussion. Camilla is invited by the boys and so she will come, whether people like it or not. I mean, if William and Harry can get over it, we should probably ask ourselves if we're not exaggerating a bit. I think Diana can be proud that she has two open minded sons who are an example of forgivingness...

And next to that I think that Camilla will be all modesty while attending the ceremony. She has taken up her part with diginity and I'm not afraid we will see a change in her behaviour in the near future...

Skydragon 07-25-2007 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimebear (Post 644974)
I don't think Camilla should attend. It's not the Camilla v Diana thing, they were both pretty nasty. I just don't see Camilla genuinely mourning Diana and to pretend to is just not right.

It is a memorial service, not a funeral. The funeral is where you are supposed to do the mourning. A memorial is where you are supposed to remember the good things about a person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale
The devide remains on both sides I believe it's fair and accurate to say.
Certainly it is evident within this forum alone.

The divide seems to be that those who like Camilla, are happy that she is willing to attend the memorial for someone who wished her nothing but ill and those who should read Jo's post perhaps.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Camilla invited her former husband and his second wife (who was the reason for the divorce, IIRC) to her birthday party. If she can be so forgiving, why should we believe the saintly Diana could not be so forgiving to her? Or is Camilla nicer or more human than Diana ever was and the Di-fans know that subconciously?

Madame Royale 07-25-2007 07:10 AM

So Camilla didn't make public her feelings (which of course would have been hard for her to do any way, and I respect her longstanding discreation), but that's not to say, in any way, that she didn't wish ill of Diana also. No one here can make that assumption.

One cannot possibly know what it was the Duchess felt towards the late Princess of Wales, though it is clear some seem to think Camilla an untouchable entity beyond the same judgement, Diana is to now face in death. Oh I know Camilla has coped a damn hard slog of media and public backlash in the past, but I see a similar pattern forming amongst those who devoutly support her and those who embrace Diana's memory. That similarity being an intolerance to either hear or take into account the alternative point of view.

I'm not taking sides, and I have no interest in doing so as I have always stated. I just make a concerted effort to take into account that both women were hurt. Who am I to lay blame on either of them for a situation I had absolutely nothing to do with or even understand in it's full capacity. That to me, is so utterly pointless. It achieves nothing.

Camilla is going (so I believe) and I'm glade she is. Lets hope she makes good this opportunity to do some forgiving of her own, if she hasn't done so already.

I don't respond with intent to provoke yet another ongoing battle of the 'righteous' :smile:

Skydragon 07-25-2007 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 645130)
So Camilla didn't make public her feelings (which of course would have been hard for her to do any way, and I respect her longstanding discreation), but that's not to say, in any way, that she didn't wish ill of Diana also. No one here can make that assumption.

One cannot possibly know what it was the Duchess felt towards the late Princess of Wales, though it is clear some seem to think Camilla an untouchable entity beyond the same judgement, Diana is to now face in death.

I'm not taking sides, and I have no interest in doing so as I have always stated. I just make a concerted effort to take into account that both women were hurt. Who am I to lay blame on either of them for a situation I had absolutely nothing to do with or even understand in it's full capacity. That to me, is so utterly pointless. It achieves nothing.

I don't respond with intent to provoke yet another ongoing battle of the 'righteous' :smile:

Camilla is far from being 'an untouchable entity' or indeed person and I find the 'judgement' in death a tad too dramatic. There are many posters that support Camilla and also supported Diana, whilst accepting that neither women were angels. Through reading reasoned posts from a few posters, even I accept that Diana did some good for her chosen charities, (although I still dispute her motives). I don't believe, with the book or her dealings with the media that she acted as befitted her role of wife to the heir or mother to the future king.

The bottom line is that William and Harry, who know Camilla better than anyone on here and have more right to decide or comment, want and have asked their 'wonderful' stepmother to attend this event.

Madame Royale 07-25-2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Camilla is far from being 'an untouchable entity' or indeed person and I find the 'judgement' in death a tad too dramatic. There are many posters that support Camilla and also supported Diana, whilst accepting that neither women were angels.
Entity, body, person, being...one in the same.

Dramatic? Oh, I must have 'subconsciously' kept in tune with the theatre of a forum's debate.lol.

Quote:

I don't believe, with the book or her dealings with the media that she acted as befitted her role of wife to the heir or mother to the future king.
You and I, both.

Quote:

The bottom line is that William and Harry, who know Camilla better than anyone on here and have more right to decide or comment, want and have asked their 'wonderful' stepmother to attend this event.
Quite true...infact very true, but if these two young men can see (and noted they are the children of the deceased and step children of the current consort) and appreciate the good in both woman and as you said, they are in a position to know better than anyone here, then why it remains so exigent for others to take a preferable side, remains rather elusive to me. Surely if William and Harry can show the love and affection they hold for each, then doesn't that say quite a bit about the women they infact are and were? I, personally, would have thought so.

And don't feel the above paragraph is directed at you as such. It's more a general observation.

ysbel 07-25-2007 08:32 AM

Madame Royale, I hope you don't mind my asking, but what do you mean when you italicize words? The reason that I am asking is that I've read it can be used either for emphasis or irony and I can't figure out if you're trying to convey emphasis or irony! :smile:

Madame Royale 07-25-2007 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysbel (Post 645160)
Madame Royale, I hope you don't mind my asking, but what do you mean when you italicize words? The reason that I am asking is that I've read it can be used either for emphasis or irony and I can't figure out if you're trying to convey emphasis or irony! :smile:

Oh not at all, ysbel!

Moreso emphasis though occasionally, a little light irony...:rofl:

sirhon11234 07-25-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimebear (Post 645041)
She can't replace Diana in their hearts, but Camilla will be standing next to Charles during these important events and it will be her that their children consider their grandmother because she will be there. It's not meant meanly, just as a matter of fact.

I don't think will encourage their future children to view or even call Camilla grandma. Diana is dead but she is still William and Harry's mother and she will be the grandmother of their children. Camilla will just be their step-grandmother. And if Diana was alive, Camilla would still be standing by Charles' side at these events Camilla on his right and Diana on his left.

BeatrixFan 07-25-2007 08:59 AM

Are you being serious? William and Harry's children will be barred from seeing her and calling her Grandma? Is it cold on your planet?

sirhon11234 07-25-2007 09:06 AM

Who said anything about preventing William and Harry's children from seeing Camilla where in my comment did I say that?
And Camilla won't be their Grandma so why should they call her that?

BeatrixFan 07-25-2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

I don't think will encourage their future children to view or even call Camilla grandma
Of course she'll be their Grandmother, step or not. I think if you ask people who have step family, they'd be quite insulted that you consider their relations to be strangers to them. I'm inclined to believe that you wouldn't feel this way if wasn't Camilla and Diana involved.

sirhon11234 07-25-2007 09:21 AM

First off Camilla won't be a stranger to their children she is Charles' wife.
And personally I have a grandmother and a step-grandmother, I don't consider my step-grandmother to be my grandmother because she isn't my father's mother. It would be an insult towards my grandmother to call my step-grandmother "grandma" I call her nana out of respect for my step-grandmother and my grandmother.
So your inclination is wrong.

bbb 07-25-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanesa (Post 644981)
Poor woman...Everyone is ready to get her to pieces. It must be very hard for her to be in the current situation she is. Every signle thing she does is compared to Lady Diana. Duchess Camilla is herself, and lady Diana was Lady Diana. The trouble here is that Prince Charles loved Camilla, not her first wife. And the medias...Oh! The medias are always there ready to make money of everyone. They needs to speak: is their work. So, if Duchess Camilla does a thing, they attacks her, and if not they does the same thing. No way...:neutral:

i soooo agree with you vanessa, the poor woman has not a put a foot wrong (that i've noticed anyway) she's always kind and gracious and has stepped into a role with her own style and grace and still is cut to pieces BEFORE she even goes to the memorial. i came to this board a diana "faniac" and was surprised to find myself charmed by the duchess and now adore her. it's hard to not be happy for a couple so in love and devoted (they seem to have so much fun in their " own special world" ) she doesn't seem to need, seek, crave or gravitate to the center of attention so imo if she's there it will be to show respect and support her husband and stepsons.

if wills and harry are happy and want her there, i expect she will be respectful and dignified (its the press and some people i'm worried about, i'd be horrified if anyone booed her or caused any embarrassment to the princes

i'd like to think diana would have moved on and found happiness and so would be happy her boys to have a loving home(not palace) with supportive stepmum and step siblings and everyone would be getting along like grownups (you only need look on this forum for examples of royal couples doing whats best for the kids and being nice to each other after divorce) 10 years is a long time hopefully it will turn a page on the diana years (alto it will be interesting to see if there's a 20 year memorial service).

my thoughts on the grandmother thing only judging from my own family the children call their grandparents what the grandchildren before them does, so i'd imagine the princes children will call charles and camilla what camillas grandchildren (already on their way) calls them. i have no doubt the prince's children will consider camilla their grandmother, it is the who they will know her to be, after all she is married to their grandfather.

TheTruth 07-25-2007 09:54 AM

I'm not a moderator but I think we're going a little nowhere on the subject of Grandma Camilla so let's stay on the question which is : "Should Camilla assist to the memorial of Diana?"

Thanks alot :flowers:

Skydragon 07-25-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 645177)
Of course she'll be their Grandmother, step or not. I think if you ask people who have step family, they'd be quite insulted that you consider their relations to be strangers to them. I'm inclined to believe that you wouldn't feel this way if wasn't Camilla and Diana involved.

As with most families, I make no distinction between my children and my step children, nor are there any differences between my grandchildren or my step grandchildren. My husband, children and grandchildren don't seem to make any distinction either.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbb
..... the poor woman has not a put a foot wrong (that i've noticed anyway) she's always kind and gracious and has stepped into a role with her own style and grace and still is cut to pieces BEFORE she even goes to the memorial. i came to this board a diana "faniac" and was surprised to find myself charmed by the duchess and now adore her. it's hard to not be happy for a couple so in love and devoted (they seem to have so much fun in their " own special world" ) she doesn't seem to need, seek, crave or gravitate to the center of attention so imo if she's there it will be to show respect and support her husband and stepsons.

Lovely post bbb. :flowers:

NotAPretender 07-25-2007 10:33 AM

Madame Royale said it best

The Duchess of Cornwall, Charles' second wife, has been invited to the event in her capacity as the wife of the Prince of Wales, as is proper and right.

She should not attend, due to the many reasons stated previously on this site and others, by sane and reasonable parties (not frothing maniacs as some of the Duchess' equally rabid admirers pontificate.)

I agree with whoever said that she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. The best solution for her would be to stay home with a nice cuppa, and send an appropriate greeting. Perhaps a spray of flowers, perhaps a card. Perhaps a prayer or two for her predecessor.

Personally, I think a tremendous gesture on her part would be to take a piece of jewelry from the personal collection bestowed on her by the POW and offer it for auction - the proceeds going Diana of Wales' foundation.

And veering to the "Granny Camilla" sub-topic: my father's father remarried under circumstances remarkably similar to those experienced by this branch of the Royal Family. We never called my grandfather's second wife by any other name than her first name, Betty. We were not disrespectful to her, but we had exactly one paternal grandmother, who was laid in her grave in 1960. My grandfather's second wife (his partner in adultery) was not my grandmother, and not my father's mother.

jcbcode99 07-25-2007 10:44 AM

Regarding Camilla and her presence at the memorial service. In reading all of these posts, a familiar refrain was heard about Camilla's relationship with Diana and how she caused Diana so much pain and tragedy. We seem to have glossed over Charles' role in Diana's unhappiness, haven't we? Should he also not attend? If we're pinpointing who really made Diana miserable, then the real blame would have to Charles', don't you think? Camilla didn't make Diana miserable--Camilla was discreet and tried in the beginning to be a friend to the young princess. What made Diana miserable was that Charles did not love her as he loved Camilla --so if we're following the line of reasoning that whoever made Diana miserable should not be there, well, Charles should be at the head of the line.
However, Charles, as the father of the boys, will be there and in doing so honors Diana as an exceptional mother. Camilla is his wife, and they appear to have a very happy marriage. Secondly, Camilla is also the boys' stepmother (and they love her, they've said so themselves) and they have invited her to the event not as one of the senior members of the royal family, but as a member of their family. That is the bottom line, as I see it.

Skydragon 07-25-2007 10:51 AM

a rabid admirer pontificating

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAPretender (Post 645214)
I agree with whoever said that she is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. The best solution for her would be to stay home with a nice cuppa, and send an appropriate greeting. Perhaps a spray of flowers, perhaps a card. Perhaps a prayer or two for her predecessor.
Personally, I think a tremendous gesture on her part would be to take a piece of jewelry from the personal collection bestowed on her by the POW and offer it for auction - the proceeds going Diana of Wales' foundation.....
And veering to the "Granny Camilla" sub-topic: my father's father remarried under circumstances remarkably similar to those experience by this branch of the Royal Family. We never called my grandfather's second wife by any other name than her first name, Betty. We were not disrespectful, but we had exactly one paternal grandmother, who was laid in her grave in 1960. My grandfather's second wife (his partner in adultery) was not my grandmother, and not my father's mother

It's a memorial service, what on earth would she send a card for and to whom? The flowers will have been organised and arranged by the guards chapel and again, it is not something you would do for a memorial service.
Why does she need to make any gesture and again to who.

Lets hope your grandfathers wife had a bigger capacity of love for her husbands children and grandchildren, than they seem to have had.

kimebear 07-25-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 645141)

Unless of course they invited her because Charles asked them to and they are doing it to please their father. They can talk the party line about how "wonderful" she is in public because it makes Charles happy and they love their father, but actions speak louder than words and Harry's absence from her big 60th birthday bash speaks volumes to me. JMHO.

Skydragon 07-25-2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 645220)
Regarding Camilla and her presence at the memorial service. In reading all of these posts, a familiar refrain was heard about Camilla's relationship with Diana and how she caused Diana so much pain and tragedy. We seem to have glossed over Charles' role in Diana's unhappiness, haven't we? Should he also not attend? If we're pinpointing who really made Diana miserable, then the real blame would have to Charles', don't you think? Camilla didn't make Diana miserable--Camilla was discreet and tried in the beginning to be a friend to the young princess. What made Diana miserable was that Charles did not love her as he loved Camilla --so if we're following the line of reasoning that whoever made Diana miserable should not be there, well, Charles should be at the head of the line.
However, Charles, as the father of the boys, will be there and in doing so honors Diana as an exceptional mother. Camilla is his wife, and they appear to have a very happy marriage. Secondly, Camilla is also the boys' stepmother (and they love her, they've said so themselves) and they have invited her to the event not as one of the senior members of the royal family, but as a member of their family. That is the bottom line, as I see it.

Now that, IMO, is a brilliant post! :clap:

jcbcode99 07-25-2007 10:56 AM

OH, and the whole Grandma thing. . . I am a step-parent, and thusly, a step-grandmother to a beautiful three year old girl (she really is beautiful). My husband's ex-wife (the child's biological grandmother) is Grandma. I was very concerned about what the child would call me, and didn't want to offend anyone. Eventually, Morgan settled the quandry by simply calling me "Ma" because my own son calls me "Mama" and she just shortened it. The child will pick the title in many cases.
I would also like to say that problems and issues that arise between spouses who divorce and the subsequent involvement of their children in the issues and messiness involved (who must hate your father because I do!, You're mother is evil--you must hate her) should always be frowned upon. The grandchildren should not be used as tools to futher create problems by feeding off issues that had nothing to do with them. It is a juvenile way to behave. Let the child decide, and don't cloud the child's judgement with unnecessary previous history.

TheTruth 07-25-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbcode99 (Post 645220)
Regarding Camilla and her presence at the memorial service. In reading all of these posts, a familiar refrain was heard about Camilla's relationship with Diana and how she caused Diana so much pain and tragedy. We seem to have glossed over Charles' role in Diana's unhappiness, haven't we? Should he also not attend? If we're pinpointing who really made Diana miserable, then the real blame would have to Charles', don't you think?

Very right !

We know that the boys have invited her, so the question is quite closed, maybe we should change it a little :

Do you think it's wise for Camilla to attend this memorial ?

I mean by that, she's going but do you think it's wise for her ?

kimebear 07-25-2007 10:57 AM

A rabid admirer pontificating? That's a very uncivil statement in what is supposed to be a civil board. I would have expected better.

jcbcode99 07-25-2007 11:00 AM

Now that, IMO, is a brilliant post! :clap:

Why THANK YOU Skydragon! I always love reading your posts and hearing you compliment mine is a true honor--thank you!

Skydragon 07-25-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimebear (Post 645225)
Unless of course they invited her because Charles asked them to and they are doing it to please their father. They can talk the party line about how "wonderful" she is in public because it makes Charles happy and they love their father, but actions speak louder than words and Harry's absence from her big 60th birthday bash speaks volumes to me. JMHO.

He is in the army, his leave is limited and I am sure Camilla would have been the first to say, get your holiday with your girlfriend.

Harry wasn't towing the party line, when he told Sky and the beeb that they thought Camilla was wonderful. The questions had already been seen and approved and if Harry hadn't wanted to say anything like that, he wouldn't have approved the question that led to it.

As with most people, IWT, I have missed many birthday/anniversary parties because they clashed with my husbands leave and we were going away. Perhaps I should be upset that my son missed my birthday party because he was on leave from Afghanistan and went on holiday with his wife and my grandchildren! :rolleyes:

jcbcode99 07-25-2007 11:09 AM

TheTruth---

I do think that is would be unwise for Camilla to not attend the service. I know there is a damned if she does, damned if she doesn't feeling about it (and rightly so). This is truly a Catch 22 situation. I think she should because to not do so looks furtive and cowardly, and history will remember her that way. In some ways, her appearance her will help define how history sees her--the woman who continued to admit guilt and stayed away amid public speculation and insulted her step-son's by not attending OR the Duchess who attended, at the request of the Princes', a strong and courageous lady who put the wishes of her family ahead of some die-hard fanatics public opinions. Frankly, I know that much be said either way, but if she goes it makes her look like a true family person, who will support her family no matter what. I cannot see her not going--she will be there.

Skydragon 07-25-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimebear (Post 645232)
A rabid admirer pontificating? That's a very uncivil statement in what is supposed to be a civil board. I would have expected better.

I suggest you take that up with
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotaPretender
not frothing maniacs as some of the Duchess' equally rabid admirers pontificate.)

post 70.

susan alicia 07-25-2007 11:12 AM

they are just two polite young men who are doing what they should do and that is invite her. They will keep their feelings to themselves.

kimebear 07-25-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 645236)
He is in the army, his leave is limited and I am sure Camilla would have been the first to say, get your holiday with your girlfriend.

Harry wasn't towing the party line, when he told Sky and the beeb that they thought Camilla was wonderful. The questions had already been seen and approved and if Harry hadn't wanted to say anything like that, he wouldn't have approved the question that led to it.

As with most people, IWT, I have missed many birthday/anniversary parties because they clashed with my husbands leave and we were going away. Perhaps I should be upset that my son missed my birthday party because he was on leave from Afghanistan and went on holiday with his wife and my grandchildren! :rolleyes:

Harry has already seen his girlfriend quite a bit this month, starting with the Concert for Diana appearance. It wouldn't matter what the questions said, I believe he is pleasing his father, not the media. It was made very clear that this was a big milestone party for Camilla, not just another birthday. These boys think nothing of flying halfway around the world for a weekend, he could have made the attempt if he wanted to. Let's face it, Harry is not on leave from serving in a war zone. He gets to see his friends and family quite frequently. I give him a lot of credit for fighting to be able to join his comrades as hard as he did, but he is not there and his leave cannot be compared to someone who is.

kimebear 07-25-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 645241)
I suggest you take that up with post 70.

It's rude no matter who says it.

Skydragon 07-25-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimebear (Post 645246)
It was made very clear that this was a big milestone party for Camilla, not just another birthday.

It was a small birthday party, not a huge 'milestone party. The BIG celebration was for her 50th. Charles and Camilla will, IMO, have been like any loving parents and told him to take his holiday with the love of his life, who they were unable to invite.

When we went away, Mr S hadn't just returned from a war zone either, it was when he was able to take leave. Nobody knows when Harry might be sent to a war zone, just because he didn't go to Iraq.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimebear (Post 645247)
It's rude no matter who says it.

Why, if I choose to call myself a name, even though it was meant as an insult when NotaPretender posted it,
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotaPretender
not frothing maniacs as some of the Duchess' equally rabid admirers pontificate.)

Surely that is the statement more worthy of your complaint

kimebear 07-25-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 645248)
It was a small birthday party, not a huge 'milestone party. The BIG celebration was for her 50th. Charles and Camilla will, IMO, have been like any loving parents and told him to take his holiday with the love of his life, who they were unable to invite.

When we went away, Mr S hadn't just returned from a war zone either, it was when he was able to take leave. Nobody knows when Harry might be sent to a war zone, just because he didn't go to Iraq.

Why, if I choose to call myself a name, even though it was meant as an insult when NotaPretender posted it, why should it offend you?

Wow! 200 is small? You must have some amazing birthday parties at your house. Especially if you can wear the za za zing diamonds that Camilla sported at hers. I wasn't offended personally, I can hold my own. I feel bad for the newbies who may be too shy to post because of mud that gets thrown around like that. But we are getting way off topic.

Madame Royale 07-25-2007 12:00 PM

Why is there a need, particularly in the British subforums, to illustrate a degree of personal specifics to the extent some do?

As both a contributor and reader of the discussed material, I don't come here to find out bits and pieces about the private lives of fellow board members in a thread that is dedicated to a specific topic.

Things normally turn relatively offensive when members allow themselves to make the situation more personal than it needs to be.

Grandmothers, party's, specified leave from the armed services...that's all well and good but theres an area for such conversations and it can be found at the bottom of the board in the members general section :flowers:

Skydragon 07-25-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 645253)
I don't come here to find out bits and pieces about the private lives of fellow board members in a thread that is dedicated to a specific topic.
Things normally turn relatively offensive when members allow themselves to make the situation more personal than it needs to be.
Grandmothers, party's, specified leave from the armed services...that's all well and good but theres an area for such conversations and it can be found at the bottom of the board in the members general section

All pertinent to the discussion that was ongoing. :rolleyes: The party being referred to was Camillas 60th. :rolleyes:

Madame Royale 07-25-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon (Post 645256)
All pertinent to the discussion that was ongoing. :rolleyes:

All "pertinent" to a discussion strayed from the original topic more like it!

Skydragon 07-25-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 645264)
All "pertinent" to a discussion strayed from the original topic more like it!

No, a poster thought Harry not being at Camilla's party gave substance to the belief that William and Harry only invited Camilla because their father asked them to. That by not being at the 60th party, it showed Harry had lied when he said Camilla was wonderful, which obviously led on to why Harry wasn't there. :rolleyes:

As some posts clearly 'upset' you, you could always try using the ignore poster option!

Madame Royale 07-25-2007 12:50 PM

You sure like that little face don't you.lol.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it...:smile:

jcbcode99 07-25-2007 12:55 PM

It's official: Queen Mary has rolled over in her grave....

Posted by "Not A Pretender"
Personally, I think a tremendous gesture on her part would be to take a piece of jewelry from the personal collection bestowed on her by the POW and offer it for auction - the proceeds going Diana of Wales' foundation.

:eek: Egads! WHY, and I cannot emphasize this enough, WHY would or should Camilla sell a piece of her jewelry to benefit Diana's foundation? That is unnecessary. Those are personal gifts that have nothing to do with Diana. If I sold a piece that my husband purchased for me "just because" so I could benefit some charity he would have my hide. Camilla need have no role in the Diana Foundation. I can see the headlines now if she were to do something like that "Camilla trying to buy approval". Really...

Skydragon 07-25-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame Royale (Post 645273)
You sure like that little face don't you.lol.

I always try to be honest and that also applies to the smileys. :deadhorse: :spider:

sesa 07-25-2007 01:06 PM

It's a no win situation from any angle for Camilla:

If she shows up with her husband and her step-children, at their request, she is showing disrespect to the memory of Diana. Even if Camilla liked Diana all along, (which no one knows for sure if she did or did not) and wanted to pay her repects, she will be criticized by some for being disprespectful because it was widely publicized that Diana did not like Camilla.

If Camilla does not show up out of respect for Diana, knowing that Diana did not like her, she will again be seen for being disrepectful to her husband and her step-children, as they asked her to be present at the memorial.

I think that if she declines the invitation to the memorial out of repect for Diana, than Charles should also decline, since he also played a huge part in Diana's unhappiness.

If she accepts the invitation, I think it would be a smart P.R. move on her part to release some sort of formal letter to the public before the event, saying that she is going to the memorial at the request of her step-children, but that she by no means is trying to be disrepspectful of Diana's memory.
Or something along those lines.
Either way, whatever Camilla does, she will be criticized.

Jo of Palatine 07-25-2007 01:58 PM

I believe it is a short term discussion. Camilla will show up at the memorial service, looking every inch the lady she is, she will stay in the background as usual and then go home with her husband. End of situation. She will give noone actually a reason for more talk than just the fact that she was there, IMHO.

acdc1 07-25-2007 02:11 PM

I've finally come to a decision. I think that Camilla will do what she personally thinks will give her the best image with the British people. Let's face it: for the most part, the British people truly are Diana fans. Camilla is going to get bashed whether she goes or she doesn't go. She just has to pick what she or Charles thinks will save her image the best in the minds of the British people.

BTW, for all the people who seem to think that I am bashing Camilla in some way: I'm not. I like her a lot, but I think that she needs to make smart decisions when it comes to this.

Elspeth 07-25-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acdc1 (Post 645313)
I've finally come to a decision. I think that Camilla will do what she personally thinks will give her the best image with the British people.

Well, that may be the case, but I hope she'd do what she personally thinks is the best thing for Prince Charles. I think she doesn't really have a lot of choice - she had to be invited or it'd look as though she was being snubbed, and having been invited, she pretty much had to accept or it'd look as though she was admitting guilty of some sort or insulting Diana's memory or whatever. I'm sure that if Princess Margaret had still been alive, she'd have put a good face on her fallout with Diana over the Panorama interview and turned up. These sorts of occasions aren't really about people's private feelings, especially in the royal family.

Skydragon, it really doesn't take you long to discover new smilies, does it? That spider has been in the smilie collection for less than a week! (I just updated the Halloween ones a few days ago)

Skydragon 07-25-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth (Post 645319)
Skydragon, it really doesn't take you long to discover new smilies, does it? That spider has been in the smilie collection for less than a week! (I just updated the Halloween ones a few days ago)

Elspeth once you know they are there, you can't help but keep looking and planning what you can use them for. They really are brilliant and you know how grateful I am to you for providing them all! :rose2::notworthy:

NotAPretender 07-25-2007 02:50 PM

Sensible Suggestion

Sesa wrote:

"If she accepts the invitation, I think it would be a smart P.R. move on her part to release some sort of formal letter to the public before the event, saying that she is going to the memorial at the request of her step-children, but that she by no means is trying to be disrespectful of Diana's memory."

That is eminently sensible.

And to the poster who indicated that perhaps a family should behave differently under these circumstances of second marriages based in infidelity, you need to carefully read my post in which it was clearly stated that we were not disrespectful of this second wife, but that she was not the holder of the title "grandmother." With which the most persnickety genealogist must agree.

Elspeth 07-25-2007 02:58 PM

I sincerely hope it would go without saying that she means no disrespect to Diana's memory. I think a letter like that would give the tabloids a field day. It would be taken as if a person who knows she's in the wrong is trying to desperately justify her actions. Sometimes there's a lot to be said for a dignified silence - when you know that whatever you do will be used against you, the best course is often to not do anything.

Tabby 07-25-2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Well said, Skydragon. I find it very sad that some Diana fans express their "love" for Diana by voicing their hatred and contempt for Camilla and/or Charles at every opportunity. And now, the issue of whether or not Camilla should or will attend is receiving so much media attention it threatens to eclipse the very purpose of the memorial service, which is to remember and celebrate Diana's life.

As far as I am concerned, Camilla was invited as a member of the Royal Family, she should attend, and the media should focus on the service and not be preoccupied with those in attendance.