The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Archives (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/)
-   -   Princess Marie's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2007 - September 2008 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/princess-maries-fashion-and-style-part-1-june-2007-september-2008-a-13008.html)

Queen Amina 06-30-2008 09:26 AM

Princess Marie's Overall Outfit

I like P.Marie's dress, I don't think its too much for the occasion but she really let down a great dress with her horrid shoes. They look like the same pair she wore to the french embassy gala as well as to germany with P.Joachim. They are a decent pair of work shoes but for a nice evening concert they are a no-no. Marie seems to be very understated in her clothing choices which suits her fine but she needs emercency help with her accessories post haste!

ayvee 06-30-2008 11:36 AM

Here's a comparison of Marie's dress to the one Mary wore for Fred's 40th birthday balcony scene:
https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...emarydress.jpg

biboquinhas 06-30-2008 11:37 AM

Mary is lovely with thar recycle dress, I do love it!! Marie is also good, purple is a fashion colour but she ruins all with those black sockings!

Regina 06-30-2008 11:42 AM

Yes, it really looks the same dress but in different colours!
I hope they won't dress the same outfits in future. If it is boring to see Mathilde and Maxima wearing the same dresses, it would be even more boring if that happened to Mary and Marie both princesses of the same Country.

pamk 06-30-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biboquinhas (Post 793253)
Mary is lovely with thar recycle dress, I do love it!! Marie is also good, purple is a fashion colour but she ruins all with those black sockings!

Totally agree! Looks like a dress to be worn to a cocktail party and then to wear that dress with black stockings and black shoes in the summer --- too heavy looking from the waist down with all of that black --- Total mismatch!

selminha 06-30-2008 12:09 PM

I agree with you, Regina.

norwegianne 06-30-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 792975)
Erm:ermm:, well, poor Marie continues to wear something completely out of place to an event. After another no-show to the 350 Royal Guardsman Rosenborg Tattoo Parade with Joachim, Marie was well enough to attend a concert at Tivoli with the rest of the royal family. The dress is nice (love the color on her), but in a different setting. Most of the women who attended wore appropriate early summer attire with jackets and shawls already covering them up.

Marie looks very, er, va-va-vooom in a skin tight deep purple cocktail dress with sheer black pantyhose and black sky high heels. Very French. Very unDanish-like. (Ugh:rolleyes:... sheer black pantyhose! Yes, I hate them... get over it.)

Link to see other images

:whistling: Well, I like the dark pantyhose - we're not approaching the horror that is Mette-Marit and thick black pantyhose with summery-dresses and suits, so Marie's look okay to me, especially with the dark colour of the dress :rofl: Don't kill me...

Seriously, to me it looks like an appropriate outfit for a gala concert in the evening - a summery type of dress, appropriate length, no decolletage, in a regal colour, mixed with the slightly more formal tights and shoes. It's similar to Countess Sussi's dress in length, and she isn't wearing her jacket either.

However, looking at the royal ladies, I have a difficult time ascertaining what exactly the dress-code was for those not in uniform. :ermm:

You have Margrethe in a red creation that looks a tad over the top, but because it is Margrethe it goes :rolleyes: Benedikte looks more moderate, the jacket and suit could have been a daytime event and not a concert at 19:30. Mary's dress is a cross between Margrethe and Marie in length, but with a decolletage both in front and back (according to reports).

Personally, I might have liked to see a bit more coordination between them when they know they'll be appearing in public together.

lyndaW 06-30-2008 12:24 PM

It looked like the Queen was the only one wearing a full length gown. As stated Mary's outfit was inbetween and low in front & back. The rest of the ladies wore their dresses/suits knee length.
So far I liked Marie's outfit, although usually I'm not in favor of black stockings,but this seemed to go with her smart dress, and thank heavens she didn't wear too much jewelry with the dress.

pamk 06-30-2008 12:26 PM

Mary looks classy --- Marie looks tacky ---
It boils down to the grooming, the accessories, the attitude --- everyone is talking about the "French Sense" of good dressing --- Marie is just not hitting the mark ---
There is a photo at the event of Marie walking arm-in-arm with PJ and the look she is giving him --- very smug --- the two just look so mismatched at this point - I guess that I just don't get it -

LadyFinn 06-30-2008 01:12 PM

The purple dress is too sexy for the occasion, I donīt like it at all.

Gaia 06-30-2008 01:59 PM

Marie looks sophisticated and I like her look better than Mary's at this function. The dark stockings might have matched the dress, it is hard to tell from the pictures. It really doesn't matter what the crowd thinks, if Marie and Joachim like the look that is all that matters.

I remember seeing a picture of Diana in a white suit with black stockings during the summer and was stunned. She was a fashion icon and got away with it, I give the same pass to Marie.

GlitteringTiaras 06-30-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Well, I like the dark pantyhose - we're not approaching the horror that is Mette-Marit and thick black pantyhose with summery-dresses and suits, so Marie's look okay to me, especially with the dark colour of the dress :rofl: Don't kill me...

Honestly, I'd rather see thick black Nun's stocking with a late summer suit than to view than sheer black pantyhose. In regard's to Countess Sussi, she looks like she read the memo. The dress could be worn to church. Overall, she looks completely appropriate.

I believe the overall dress code was obvious: Light summer conservstive chic. Furthermore, I'm not paying attention to the Queen's ensemble who, at times seems utterly lost when it comes to her odd fashion choices. Just take a look at the other women who attended the concert, and you can pretty much determine what the dress code was. Marie, looking very perky, looked like she was about to hit the Crown Club or 40 Deuce instead of attending a royal event.

:smile:

sunsh1n3 06-30-2008 02:18 PM

I liked how Marie looked for the concert. We forget that she has been a princess for about a month, and while Mary looked wonderful, she has been a Crown Princess for four years. There's no comparison between the two, the two are beautiful in their own way. As for Marie, again, I liked how she looked and think she will improve with time.

norwegianne 06-30-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 793344)

I believe the overall dress code was obvious: Light summer conservstive chic.

Exactly what I see in Marie's outfit. :flowers: But given the difference in comments, I definitely think all of us are expecting different things. Which is what makes a discussion, after all :biggrin:

Odette 06-30-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne (Post 793365)
Exactly what I see in Marie's outfit. :flowers: But given the difference in comments, I definitely think all of us are expecting different things. Which is what makes a discussion, after all :biggrin:

Very true. I examined all her outfits in Germany, Geneva and Tivoli and to me she looks like she prefes a relaxed, understated look. She does not seem like the princess who will feel comfortable in a 10 inch tiara and 10 foot train.
All the years that I have been watching well dressed ladies they always match the pantyhose color with the outfit and always pull it together.
I do not know why I have a soft spot for Marie and wish her lots of good luck.

GlitteringTiaras 06-30-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne (Post 793365)

Well of course, otherwise it would completely boring if everyone always agreed upon everything. I hate her nightclub ensemble, with sheer black pantyhose and sky high suede black heels, you don't. You say tahmato, I say toemato.:lol::biggrin:;)

norwegianne 06-30-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 793440)

An unfortunate suit and hat for Marie. The suit appears wrinkled, and the jacket is not fitting. The hat's shape does nothing for her - although it looks better in the pictures far away - but the white does not match the grey suit. (And she should have stuck with the bolder shades - dark blue or the dark purple, because in my opinion, the grey washes her out.)

It is, per se, an appropriate suit for the occasion, and with the fashion for skirt length these days barely covering anything, I'm greatly relieved to see Marie's skirts landing neatly at the knees, but the wrinkled look and the colour doesn't really do her any favours. Of course, there is no black pantyhose... :whistling:

Al_bina 06-30-2008 06:13 PM

Joining the above opinion, I have to say that this shade of the grey colour does become Princess Marie at all. She looked tired to me. A white hat is better appreciated at some distance. I can not say whether or not this style of hats (I can not think of a proper definition for the aforementioned hat style) suits Princess Marie.

Martha 06-30-2008 06:23 PM

It will be very difficult That Marie finds her own style.

charlottestreasures 06-30-2008 06:30 PM

Is the hat a fedora or a trilby?

I really don't like either Mary's or Marie's evening outfits. Mary's hair seems to be a bit messy.