The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Archives (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/)
-   -   Princess Marie's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2007 - September 2008 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f234/princess-maries-fashion-and-style-part-1-june-2007-september-2008-a-13008.html)

Her_Majesty 06-17-2007 04:15 PM

Princess Marie's Fashion and Style Part 1: June 2007 - September 2008

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to discuss the Fashion and Style of Prince Joachim's girlfriend Marie Cavallier.
There are many different opinions about her Fashion taste.

GlitteringTiaras 06-17-2007 05:11 PM

All right, knock yourselves out.
But please remember TRF Rules and FAQ.

Yes, you should read them:

• In order to legally post copyrighted material, you must obtain written permission from the copyright owner.
  • No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
  • Please remember that empty posts, that is posts that do not add or contribute to the discussion, will be deleted without notice.
  • It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
  • Hotlinking of content from other websites is not permitted.
  • We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
  • Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments please feel free to PM me or any other RHofF Mod.

Happy Posting!
Royal House of Fashion Mods.:flowers:

dazzling 06-18-2007 03:37 PM

well, i guess she has a fun style, she does know when to dress casual and when not to.she doesnt seem to over do it, she doesnt go for anything flashy etc...

I thought this was great look formarie, its a cute jacket but im not too sure of the black stockings, its distracting the classic look of the coat in some way i think - picture (DRW)

ohh! btw, i think this was her first public outing with the CP couple & i think she did great, outfit wise.

Duke of Marmalade 06-18-2007 03:51 PM

Marie has all assets to become a stylish princess although I felt her last outing was kind of a blunder. She is very pretty or even a beauty, good figure, expressive eyes - all she needs now is taste. There are some people out there who could have it all but never get it right - I hope Marie is not one of them. Her relationship with Joachim shows that she's able to learn and adapt to what she has to. So with time passing she might not only have found a better way to deal with the press but also have learned how to dress properly :flowers:

semisquare 06-18-2007 04:02 PM

lets give her ideas, im sure she is to busy to read these post but you never know.
she has a nice skin tone,her face is very pretty and seems to light up when she smiles.
what colors do you think would look good on her? is she tall or short? she seems to be a average build

dazzling 06-18-2007 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semisquare (Post 628196)
what colors do you think would look good on her? is she tall or short? she seems to be a average build

Black, white & colorful things. I think she should not wear a full brown outfit or purple. she should break it down. Prints would also suit her

semisquare 06-18-2007 04:11 PM

how about a colorful print wrap dress with 3 quarter length sleeves. im thinking green & black shapes on white material. gold knot earrings and a thin gold braclet. stockings to match her skin color with plan pair of black sling pumps and black clutch hand bag.

GlitteringTiaras 06-18-2007 04:17 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Marie, but she needs a brilliant stylist to polish her natural beauty and energetic grace.

First thing she should do: Cut, dye, add either subtle highlights or lowlights, and find a better style than that college girl bone straight, heavy bang look. She's in her early thirties not her early twenties, it's time to update her style.

Essentially, her hair looks incredibly healthy, but she needs to do something different. It's so blah looking.

Second, hire a stylist. I see her wearing Comme des Garçons, Jil Sander, definitely Dries van Noten and Chloe, Oscar de la Renta for evening and perhaps formal days, Sonia Rykiel, and definitely something from Gianfranco Ferre's last collection (may he RIP.)

Third, burn every single panty hose, colored and nude, she owns. A bare leg is so chic.

If she has discoloration or scars one can easily pick up a lightly tinted lotion from Sephora (or the Danish version of the store), and apply it hours prior to an engagement or the evening before.

Fourth, urge her to stay away from her jeans for the next year unless she is gardening or something.:biggrin:

Fifth, no more peasent tops.

Sixth, make-up. She's a natural beauty who should stay away from heavy eyeshadow, mascara, and blush. Her skin is amazing so she doesn't need pancake make-up for events.

That's all that I can think of at the moment, but later I might have something else to say.:biggrin::flowers:

Quote:

Black, white & colorful things. I think she should not wear a full brown outfit or purple. she should break it down. Prints would also suit her
Yes. However, no absolutely no dark browns or jeweled purples. And for heaven's sake no more of those tired wrap dresses.:yuk:

She already has a very slim and well proportioned body (I'm guessing she's at least 5'6" and a 33-22-341/2. A perfect body for couture collections. Which, by the way begins on July 8 in Paris.)

UserDane 06-18-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 628206)
Third, burn every single panty hose, colored and nude, she owns. A bare leg is so chic.

You can't be serious :ohmy: Panty hoses are the saving grace for Nordic women - even in summer it can be really chilly at times. Bare legs are OK for a lot of places but they cannot be disregarded in the Nordic climate.
Personally, I find panty hose clad legs a lot more attractive than freezing bluish bare legs ;)

avrilo 06-18-2007 05:02 PM

I dont agree in the lack of pantyhose, she should wear it in the same color of her skin, I think it is correct/protocolary to wear them for this (at least my ranny said it was in the etiquete books)

IMO Marie has it difficult, she has the same "type" than Mary and comparisons will be inevitable (lets start with the name!), and we all know what a wonderful job Mary is doing at the looking regal business. She will have to develop her own style in a way she wouldnt look like a copy of Mary.

So far I think she is doing well, she is still a private person after all, not a princess with official duties, (I dont see anything wrong if she wears jeans in the airport or in the weekend while she is with Joachim or in her every day). I cant wait to see an improvement cause to me it looks she wants to try and do her best effort.

GlitteringTiaras 06-18-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane (Post 628220)
You can't be serious :ohmy: Panty hoses are the saving grace for Nordic women - even in summer it can be really chilly at times. Bare legs are OK for a lot of places but they cannot be disregarded in the Nordic climate.

I'm completely serious:biggrin:.

Panty hose is so granny especially nude sheer or black sheer.

I understand if a women decides to wear very dark tights with a chic coat, especially in the cold Nordic winter, but sheer hose? :yuk: Come on...

Quote:

I dont agree in the lack of pantyhose, she should wear it in the same color of her skin, I think it is correct/protocolary to wear them for this (at least my ranny said it was in the etiquete books)

So are we following fashion or etiquette here? Which one? For me, I'm on fashions side and agree with Andre Leon Tally in his latest rant about panty hose.

Quote:

IMO Marie has it difficult, she has the same "type" than Mary and comparisons will be inevitable (lets start with the name!), and we all know what a wonderful job Mary is doing at the looking regal business. She will have to develop her own style in a way she wouldnt look like a copy of Mary.
Let's at least try to stay away from the Mary and Marie comparison, especially since this topic was created to discuss Marie Cavallier only.:flowers:

UserDane 06-18-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 628225)
Panty hose is so granny especially nude sheer or black sheer.

I understand if a women decides to wear very dark tights with a chic coat, especially in the cold Nordic winter, but sheer hose? :yuk: Come on...

It's funny- this aversion against panty hoses. I'm serious when I say that it's either panty hoses - or not wearing skirts or dresses at all through most of the year in Scandinavia. So no - it's definitely not granny.
Freezing bare legs are just so unsexy!

GlitteringTiaras 06-18-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane (Post 628231)
It's funny- this aversion against panty hoses. I'm serious when I say that it's either panty hoses - or not wearing skirts or dresses at all through most of the year in Scandinavia. So no - it's definitely not granny.

:lol::biggrin:

Then women should wear leg warmers, anything but sheer nude panty hose.

And by the way, I cannot imagine sheer hose would keep a woman's legs warm during cold winters. Is there some sort of new type of panty hose that keep their legs warm?

avrilo 06-18-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 628233)

Then women should wear leg warmers, anything but sheer nude panty hose. And by the way, I cannot imagine sheer hose would keep a woman's legs warm during cold winters. Is there some sort of new type of panty hose that keep their legs warm?

We all see your point, but please think that maybe where you live it works and women dress like that (I see you live in Miami and LA prolly at 35ºC you cant Stand wearin ´em), but there are different traditions in different places, for instance I dont live in a cold place, but dress codes in many companies here motivate the use of those for their executives....( I personally like them cause my skin is too white and they look terrible! and I never have time to tan).

I cant find a protocol link yet but I will, I am almost sure the use of pantyhoses is protocolary or at least etiquette

GlitteringTiaras 06-18-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avrilo (Post 628238)
We all see your point, but please think that maybe where you live it works and women dress like that (I see you live in Miami and LA), but there are different traditions in different places, for instance I dont live in a cold place, but dress codes in many companies here motivate the use of those for their executives....( I personally like them cause my skin is too white and they look terrible! and I never have time to tan).

I cant find a protocol link yet but I will, I am almost sure the use of pantyhoses is protocolary or at least etiquette

I've actually lived all of the world including Munich (two months), NYC, and Vienna (lived there during a very cold January) so I do understand what it is like regarding dress in different places. Furthermore, and most importantly I do respect each countries traditions. Don't assume I don't.:smile:

If ones legs are pale, try using a lightly tinted lotion, not tanning lotion, but a tint from Neiman's, Barney's or Sephora.

BACK ON TOPIC ABOUT MARIE CAVALLIER'S FASHION AND STYLE.:flowers:

BurberryBrit 06-18-2007 05:47 PM

I think a lady should where pantyhose when appropriate. Such as to a church christening :D or work (if required by one's office) But not black sheer with a light colored outfit.

Also, I agree Marie needs to update her hairstyle. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before she starts getting subtle changes to her style like a hair cut that start the transformation process. I think the tone of her hair is fine, but she needs her ends trimmed or something. It looks shaggy. She should also experiment with chignons and buns at more formal events. Marie has great potential though!

BurberryBrit 06-18-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UserDane (Post 628231)

I don't think they're granny either. I think they are a nuisance since they tend to rip easily so I sometimes don't bother. But I do think they look ladylike. Starting soon at work, you can't wear skirts/dresses without hose, so they are going to be a necessity for me!

RachelD 06-18-2007 05:55 PM

Personally, I think nude stockings are elegant. They (stockings) are refined and make a woman look refined. With that said, I won't say anything else about stockings....:flowers: What other outfits are out there? The pink coat-dress she wore, is it a dress that's supposed to look like a coat or is it a coat that just looks like a dress??? Was she wearing a dress underneath it? I know it's a silly question, but please humor me :biggrin:

BurberryBrit 06-18-2007 05:58 PM

I haven't been wowed by her style, but I did like the leopard shoes she wore at Joa's car race.

BurberryBrit 06-18-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelD (Post 628248)
Personally, I think nude stockings are elegant. They (stockings) are refined and make a woman look refined. With that said, I won't say anything else about stockings....:flowers: What other outfits are out there? The pink coat-dress she wore, is it a dress that's supposed to look like a coat or is it a coat that just looks like a dress??? Was she wearing a dress underneath it? I know it's a silly question, but please humor me :biggrin:

It looks Chanel-ish to me. I don't know if it's a coat or a dress, but it looks good. :lol:

UserDane 06-18-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 628233)

And by the way, I cannot imagine sheer hose would keep a woman's legs warm during cold winters. Is there some sort of new type of panty hose that keep their legs warm?

For some strange reason you actually can feel the difference between bare legs and sheer hoses.
In Denmark the shops start selling more densely vowen (is that the right word?) stockings as well as soon as autumn comes - some with a bit of wool in.
I quite like the autumnal style with warm fabrics and these types of stockings.:smile:

Martha 06-18-2007 06:43 PM

Marie Cavalier has a very simple style.

Fashionista100 06-18-2007 09:04 PM

I am so pale that you can see all my veins through my legs. So I have to wear hose at all times. And I can't use lotion, they don't make a color for my legs, it looks awful and doesn't stay on either.

GlitteringTiaras 06-18-2007 09:10 PM

Try a tint next time from Neiman's.:smile:

Stay away from the tanning lotion's. There is nothing more tragic, in the fashion and beauty world that is, when a woman's skin tone is bright burnt orange like an Oompa Loompa essentially looking like she ate one too many carrots and/or went a bit crazy at the tanning salon.:rolleyes:

All right, we really need to get back on topic.

This thread is about Marie, Prince Joachim's girlfriend, remember.;)

RachelD 06-22-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 628310)
Try a tint next time from Neiman's.:smile:

Stay away from the tanning lotion's. There is nothing more tragic, in the fashion and beauty world that is, when a woman's skin tone is bright burnt orange like an Oompa Loompa essentially looking like she ate one too many carrots and/or went a bit crazy at the tanning salon.:rolleyes:

Funny! Thanks Glittering Tiaras for making me laugh on this dreary Friday!
:biggrin:

carlota 06-22-2007 07:13 PM

i thought pantyhoses were quite an important thing in royals and it was quite a protocolar thing to use, never wear bare legs. i totally agree that the black hoses with the pink dress wasn't the best, but wouldn't go as far as saying "never use one again". black pantys can look extremely chic as well.

i definitely agree that marie has everything to become a fashion icon, such as mary. i believe she just needs some help with ideas and a new look. perhaps mary's stylist can also give her a hand considering her results with mary. marie has a nice ladylike figure, lovely hair and skin tone and her skin still looks fresh and healthy. i'd love to see what she would wear as a princess, for galas or official events if she were to become one.

GlitteringTiaras 06-22-2007 08:20 PM

Shall I change the title of this topic to "The Great Pantyhose Debate?"
Or shall we move on to discuss Marie Cavallier's fashion and style?
:biggrin:
Final word about this emotionally charged discussion that has nothing really to do with the topic:
I hate pantyhose whether nude or colored. Several people love their pantyhose, cannot live without them, and some may have even invested in the company Hanes because they love pantyhose so much. Lovely.
Let's move on shall we?:flowers:

stephanyjml 06-23-2007 01:32 AM

This is my first post and I never thought I would be posting on The Great Pantyhose debate. I, myself, despise hose. I hate them. I avoid them whenever possible.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that Princess Diana made in chic in the mid '90s to go sans pantyhose. Before her tragic death, when, in my opinion, she was at the very height of her fashion she very rarely wore hose and had bare legs with heals. This looked very good on her.

I also thought that Marie's black hose with the pale pink outfit was not a good fit. I do realize that pink and black often go together but not the way she had it. I suppose I thought the black hose were a bit too harsh for the delicate colour.

And to answer a question from before, I think it was a coat dress but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I thought it was a bit ill fitting. Like the rest of you I think her fashion sense will evolve and it will be interesting to watch.

dazzling 06-23-2007 01:12 PM

I think with abit of time marie would indeed be a fashion icon as prince's wife. as i said before she knows what is casual and what is formal. she has a fun style.

the pink jacket she recently wore, was a great choice, yes might have been somehow a copy but it was fun, not too formal nor casual

agapi 08-22-2007 02:30 PM

Marie has attended the copenhagen fashion show along with a friend. I find it natural to be intrested in fashion and from what I have seeen in videos and photos she is an elegant and confident person. If she becomes a princess, she will have not an problem becoming a fashion icon. By the way I don't want to imply anything, but Mary attended the copenhagen fashion show a year or so before marrying Fredeik.

nylonluva 09-08-2007 07:22 AM

hm..well from my male point of view i would say..as much as i looked at pictures of marie..she has a good style for dressing..tough i have to admit them i´mnot really a fashion expert..(i just have to categories..like it or don´t like it...kinda simple) so...
..and for the pantyhose thing...hm seems obvious that black and pink might not be the best combination to go..but i´ve seen much worse things and combinations...so this is a matter of personal tast...
staying with personal taste: i have to say...that IMHO womens legs (to me) look much better when glad in hosiery...no matter which color, ultrasheer..nearly not visible or opaque...they make the legs look better give a much more even(overall) skin toneif used in tan colors...and a nice shape legs are simply highlited by them...if etiquette or not stays out of my knowlege..but in austria and i guess over the world too hosiery is used for events which hav kinda solemn character...so think this takes tooo long now..so i just cut..might get into a independent thread...otherwise..greetings to all
steve

Her_Majesty 10-03-2007 06:03 AM

Engagement Outfit

I'm really curious what Future-Princess Marie is going to wear today, on her engagement day. :rolleyes:

ladybelline 10-03-2007 06:07 AM

Quote:

I'm really curious what Future-Princess Marie is going to wear today, on her engagement day. :rolleyes:
Me too! and also curious about what she will wear on her wedding day...:biggrin:

carlota 10-03-2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 674360)

same here! i can't wait. :wub:

Her_Majesty 10-03-2007 06:34 AM

Here's a first picture of her Engagement Outfit
Marie wears a white suit
ImageShack - Hosting :: engagementdenmarkbj2.jpg
Polfoto

LadyK 10-03-2007 07:00 AM

The white suit, I have no problems with (at least not in this picture)

But black shoes? If you are wearing all white, only white, the black looks stupid. She could wear most any other color shoe and look better.

Her_Majesty 10-03-2007 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyK (Post 674405)

But black shoes? If you are wearing all white, only white, the black looks stupid. She could wear most any other color shoe and look better.

Didn't Letizia Ortiz make the same "mistake" on her engagement day? :biggrin:
She also wore a white suit and black shoes.
That was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the pictures.

Duke of Marmalade 10-03-2007 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 674413)
Didn't Letizia Ortiz make the same "mistake" on her engagement day? :biggrin:
She also wore a white suit and black shoes.
That was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw the pictures.

Yes, correct. Letizia wore a pantsuit though. Not sure this one is a fitted costume? It looks like a jacket and a skirt. However the black shoes don't go with it and I will never understand why royal women chose a white outfit for their engagement day.

Lilla 10-03-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyK (Post 674405)
The white suit, I have no problems with (at least not in this picture)

I think the black shoes goes weel with her white outfit as the buttons are black and she has got dark hair. If she was a blond it would look strange.

dazzling 10-03-2007 09:32 AM

Well, cant get everything right all the time, especially on your first day when millions of things are on your thought. I think the last thing Marie thought of was her shoes, and a very common mistake made by many women are black shoes with a white ooutfit.
I wonder what her bag color was? f it was black, than the shoes werent a bad mistake.

I like the suit, especially the skirt.

Vanishing Lady 10-03-2007 10:49 PM

Personally, I think pantyhose can be an asset or a liability depending on the individual.

Some woman look older than their chronological age when they wear 'hose, no matter how young. Also, height plays into it. Whenever I see a lady of shorter stature wearing darker hose or tights (that aren't part of a costume of some sort), I think little girl. Taller, fine. Also, leg shapes come into play for me...she may have a longer thigh, shorter calf or longer calf, shorter thigh...

For those of us whose legs don't look their best bare (yours truly especially), pantyhose in a tone close to the skin (but NOT nude, ugh) can work. Matching to the outfit isn't a bad idea neither, but watch the shades.

I don't see the problem with a bare leg, but the climate, outfit, and appearance of the leg need to warrant it. :smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling (Post 628182)
I thought this was great look formarie, its a cute jacket but im not too sure of the black stockings, its distracting the classic look of the coat in some way i think - picture (DRW)

I first reaction was "Good Lord, no! Not those....tights?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 674390)
Here's a first picture of her Engagement Outfit

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 674390)
Marie wears a white suit
ImageShack - Hosting :: engagementdenmarkbj2.jpg
Polfoto

I agree on the black shoes. It's like she chose a different pair of shoes, but for some reason they were unavailable and she just went with what she had on hand. To me the shoes make the whole outfit seem rushed.

She is pretty, but she needs to find a stylist who can help her capitalize on that natural beauty.

christinacg 10-04-2007 01:37 PM

I don't think Marie really has impressive style right now, but since she's becoming a Princess I'm sure there will be people to help guide her to some fine choices for daytime and evening wear.

PrincessofEurope 01-04-2008 06:09 PM

Fashion and Style of Marie (future Princess of Denmark)

would it be possible to use this thread to speculate about the style of Marie Cavallier wedding dress

Her_Majesty 01-05-2008 05:25 AM

Marie Cavallier attending the Christmas Church service.
ANP Beeldbank

I like her coat. I just wish she had buttoned it up.
What is she wearing underneath the brown coat? It looks like a second , silver coat.. maybe a part of the suit she wore.

dazzling 01-05-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 712355)
ANP Beeldbank

What is she wearing underneath the brown coat? It looks like a second , silver coat.. maybe a part of the suit she wore.

No liking the coat nor her suit. The coat underneth looks like its part of the skirt suit since its the same color as the skirt. Something is really off about this whole look, maybe its the blue coat and then other coat on top. Ill admitt that the suit color is nice

hibou 01-05-2008 08:46 AM

Having a teenage girl, I can tell you that most of them skip the pantyhose most of the time except when trying to make a fashion statement - and you can imagine the combinations I see!!!

biboquinhas 01-07-2008 05:07 AM

I think that she need to get into Royal life to have a fashion adviser. She needs fashion advisers, the coat is beautiful but not with that suit amd the suit is really horrible! She needs to learn how to combine things like Mary learned! She has her own style and she must buy only what she likes and maintain her own style, but she needs someone to advise her on how to combine colthes.

lyndaW 01-07-2008 12:31 PM

The "suit" she has on looks a couple of sizes too small for her, very poor fit

royaltywatcher 01-07-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 712355)
ANP Beeldbank

Come to think of it, you never see a princess with a coat that is not buttoned! If they wear one, they go for a whole look, the coat, buttoned, accessorized, etc. I never realized how sloppy an unbuttoned coat looks until I saw this picture and read this comment. It's something we can learn and apply, even in our own non-princess lives. And it's probably in the princess playbook that Marie will get as she goes forward.

Saphire 01-07-2008 02:53 PM

Marie will eventually hit her stride. If I recall correctly, Mary didn't wear the spectacular clothes she wears now until after her marriage to Fred. She will become more polished and I am sure even her skin will get that glow that the Crown Princess' skin has.

magnik 01-07-2008 02:56 PM

But I hope that they wouldn't look too much alike...

bertie5252003 01-08-2008 12:16 PM

I agree that she will get loads of help and she will be "managed" into her own style. Mary has certainly had this done for her and it has done wonders for a girl who only wore running shoes and 3/4 pants really just super casual. Marie seems to be doing loads better than that at this stage IMO so I have no doubt all will be well.

Sephora 01-08-2008 07:10 PM

I don't know why Mary got lot of critics about her looks before being Princess, to me she looked normal and casual like any woman from common people, she was not working on fashion industry to have a polished look, now it's different, she's the crown princess of one of the most wealthy contries in the world, and she must have some image to be a good representer.

The same goes for Marie, her actual look is not that bad.

GlitteringTiaras 01-08-2008 08:10 PM

Please try to resist the temptation when it comes to discussing as well as comparing Marie to Mary.

This topic is reserved for Marie Cavallier's Fashion and Style. Not Mary and what she wore prior to her wedding day, etc, etc.

Thanks.:flowers:

Lakshmi 01-08-2008 08:41 PM

I am not impressed by Marie's outfits yet. I really don't like her coat at church event. She is an attractive women, hopefully she will find her style.

SASSY 01-12-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakshmi (Post 713876)
I am not impressed by Marie's outfits yet. I really don't like her coat at church event. She is an attractive women, hopefully she will find her style.

I agree. Maybe like the other Princess's she'll make good use of her clothing allowance. Most of the other girls didn't dress all that great either.

Lizy 01-12-2008 07:33 PM

I'm not a fan of her style so far. It seems a bit old fashioned and what is with those pale tights?!!! Hopefully as she develops into her princess role she will also develop a bit more style wise. I think at the moment she does not want to make any fashion mistakes so is playing it a bit too safe.

GlitteringTiaras 01-12-2008 08:54 PM

It's easy to characterize Marie's overall style which can be summed up in one word: basic. It seems as if she is afraid to step out the box, and try something completely different than what she is comfortable with. Nonetheless, there are times when she looks nice in her simple style such as this number. Other times, not so much.

As I said, Marie, so far, sticks to the basics: Jeans, turtlenecks, pashminas, coats with fur trim, boots, simple skirt, V-neck sweathers, tank tops, simple ballerina flats, and so forth.

Here are a few examples:

Jeans, grey turtleneck, boots, and coat Very plain.

simple white above the ankle pants with simple taupe tank top Standard style.

Jeans and a simple white T-shirt

Jeans with pin striped shirt

This ensemble was simply all wrong but that's okay... it was one of her first big evenings out with Joachim back in early to mid 2007.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here

Cute and simple

simple summer

Tank top with skirt

Black jeans different jacket

Cute jacket

Black jeans...again, nd the same tank top

same thing: Black jeans, black top

One problem that sticks out from the rest is her hairstyle. In my opinion, it's sort of... blah. She needs to cut and style it.

I like Marie and I do believe she can be molded as long as she finds a great stylist (and not Anja) she'll be fine... she just needs to burn her jeans if you ask me.:biggrin:

*all images are from DRWs and rehosted; so thanks to them*

acdc1 01-12-2008 09:00 PM

One thing I've noticed about Marie is that she seems to really love skinny jeans. Unfortunately for her (and fortunately for me I hate them), they're supposed to be "out" for 2008. Or at least according to the fashion section in the newspapers here.

GlitteringTiaras 01-12-2008 09:09 PM

I've never seen her wear skinny jeans, acdc1. Though I have seen her wear lowrider's ala old school Frankie B's and perhaps those awful Seven's (just my personal opinion.)

Do you have an reference, acdc1?

Isabel 01-12-2008 10:12 PM

Well, this is her pre-Princess style. Frankly, it's really not bad. She has a a very classic and basic style. She's very attractive and honestly she doesn't need much to look good, IMO. I agree that as someone who will be in public view much more after her wedding, she will have to step it up a bit. But, she needs time and I don't see her as a fashion catastrophe.

GlitteringTiaras 01-12-2008 11:49 PM

As long as Marie employs a good sensible stylist I doubt she will be classified as a major disaster.

I do believe that she should stick to clean lines and shapes once she becomes HRH Princess Marie of Denmark. Anything too wild or bold wouldn't suit her tiny frame. Furthermore, I believe she would look amazing in Armani Privé, Narciso Rodriguez, Chaiken, Celine as well as Helmut Lang.

biboquinhas 01-14-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnik (Post 713386)
But I hope that they wouldn't look too much alike...

No I don't think that they will look alike, I think Marie will adopt a more low profile when it comes to fashion.
I like to see Marie wearing jeans but I don't like seen her in a nigth dress, or dress more formal, she needs to have help in that area!

GlitteringTiaras 01-14-2008 02:20 PM

I believe you may be right, biboquinhas.

Once Marie becomes a princess her style and approach will be somewhat understated... which is a good thing. As I noted before, anything too bold will not suit her tiny frame. Her stylist, who ever that will be, will definitely help her with gown choices.

In the end, I'm sure she will look amazing.

:smile:

Fashionista100 01-14-2008 08:35 PM

I think Marie will have a much more girly style than Mary. I don't think they will be alike. I also hope she does not dress in those puffy fairy princess gowns that Alex did. I never liked her style as I think it overwhelmed her tiny frame. It will be interesting to see what Marie starts wearing. I think she dresses well now. But there is a difference between what a career woman and a royal wears. Its about money and access to designers too.

LadyGabrielle 01-15-2008 10:57 PM

I am really amazed at how juvenile she looks. All her outfits look like something my daughter wears. The jeans are nice but come on, give em a rest already. She really needs to start dressing more sophisticated. She is young and pretty and Im sure she could find clothing that would still be young and fresh and yet elegant and sophisticated. Quite frankly if I was in the Princes' shoes, I would make sure that she looks appropriate before she could go anywhere with me. Im sure there must be someone who could help the poor dear.:flowers:

GlitteringTiaras 01-21-2008 09:49 PM

So in less than five months Marie will officially become HRH Princess Marie of Denmark and as a result she will soon be wearing some amazing clothes by some great designers (I hope.)

Anyway, the S/S Paris Haute Couture shows began today starting with Christian Dior and I saw some items (like this and this that may look divine on Marie. Click hereto watch a snippet from the show. By the way, Natasha Poly, the first girl, looks fierce watching down the catwalk in that ensemble!;)

I have the full schedule for this week's shows, and the one I am looking forward to is Valentino's. This is his last collection... ever... then he is retiring.

If you would like to see more from this collection, click hereto TRF's sister site (meaning it's the same owner as this site) TFS.

Incas 01-22-2008 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras (Post 719543)
...(like this and this that may look divine on Marie...

These pieces will completely overwhelm her. She also had a longer torso which big puffy skirts will only exaggerate (not in a flattering way).

GlitteringTiaras 01-22-2008 03:02 AM

It's couture. Once it's scaled down, for the ladies who can afford haute couture, the ensembles look slightly different. Trust me...:flowers: The dramatic skirt on the second gown will not look like that off the catwalk as do all other couture pieces.

GlitteringTiaras 01-24-2008 02:02 AM

Even though it is a bit early to begin Fashion Suggestions for Princess Marie of Denmark, I thought I would post a clip from Valentino's last Haute Couture show for S/S 2008. There are so many amazing ensembles that would look simply fantastic on a soon to be princess of Denmark.

clip

dazzling 01-24-2008 02:10 AM

GT, a lovely video, thank you for sharing. Some lovely pieces indeed which would look great on Marie. The sort black dresses were very elegent and lovely cut suits and some great dresses.

Her_Majesty 02-10-2008 04:35 AM

Marie attending a Christening , wearing a long dark coat, black pants and elegant shoes:
HELLO! Photo gallery – Latest celebrity photos - hellomagazine.com, HELLO!

In the evening she attended wearing black pants ,a short fur-effect jacket, peep-toe stilettos and glittering earrings:

dazzling 02-10-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 727969)
Marie attending a Christening , wearing a long dark coat, black pants and elegant shoes:

In the evening she attended wearing black pants ,a short fur-effect jacket, peep-toe stilettos and glittering earrings:

Not fond of the outfit worn to the christening. The evening outfit was okay, i like the fur cape/shrug ( not sure what they are called ) but the outfit pants & camisole looked to casual for the fur IMO.

sgl 02-10-2008 07:04 PM

I'm glad that she wore a coat that was buttoned and more tailored than that awful brown coat we have seen her wear. The pants she wore in the evening do not flatter her figure at all. She needs clothes that are tailored to suit her body. The white suit she wore at her engagement was horrible. It looks like something from 1995. The skirt overwhelmed her, and she should stay away from shorter jackets. I have a feeling that she will end up hiring a stylist, and we will see her looking very chic in a year or so.

And I totally agree with GT-the stockings are awful! Especially the white ones and the black ones. Again, very 1990s.

dazzling 02-11-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgl (Post 728200)
She needs clothes that are tailored to suit her body. The white suit she wore at her engagement was horrible. It looks like something from 1995. The skirt overwhelmed her, and she should stay away from shorter jackets.

I agree. I think nice fitted coats, pencil skirts will suit her perfectly. Flowy skirts such as the one worn on her engagment was to flowy for her figure, she is a petite. I would like to see shorter/fitted jackets on her as well as pencil skirts and fitted dresses with a small flare.

princess gertrude 02-11-2008 09:35 AM

I have to agree with most of you that her engagement outfit was terrible. I didn't mind the morning/christening outfit, but the evening outfit was bad, bad, bad. The scrug I liked but the rest of the outfit looked to me to be ill fitting and cheap. I would have loved to see her in a cute black cocktail dress, scrug and some great black leather boots (just for a contrast).

biboquinhas 02-11-2008 10:26 AM

Maybe she will accept some of the Malene Birger tendences, it is a Danish Designer and however Mary uses lot of Malene Birger I think that Marie should also look for something suitable for her in this lovely Danish designer that has lot of nice clothes suitable for all trends and tastes!
BY MALENE BIRGER look nº14 / nº16 / nº19 / nº 28 / nº30

sgl 02-11-2008 06:57 PM

Malene Birger has some lovely things in her collection, but Marie needs to stay away from anything that has volume (skirts, pants). I am built like Marie, and I have learned the hard way that women with this body type cannot wear anything voluminous, and that clothes must be tailored. She should focus on finding a very good tailor. I would like to see her in a nice, slim-cut cashmere coat this winter, and I too would like to see her in a pencil skirt.

Her_Majesty 02-12-2008 03:40 PM

Fashion wise: Marie has shown that she isn't a 2nd Mary (some expected this, because they look alike ;)). She has a very individual style.
I am really curious how her wedding gown will look like, how her gala-wear will be and how her style will change.

sgl 02-12-2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Her_Majesty (Post 728780)
Fashion wise: Marie has shown that she isn't a 2nd Mary (some expected this, because they look alike ;)). She has a very individual style.
I am really curious how her wedding gown will look like, how her gala-wear will be and how her style will change.

Has there been any news on her wedding gown? Has she announced the designer? I am also curious to see what she chooses for the wedding.

GlitteringTiaras 02-12-2008 07:14 PM

No, nothing so far that I know of. Perhaps we won't know until the day of the wedding. :smile:

denice 02-12-2008 11:39 PM

I tink her style will be very different from Mary's. To me she is very European in style. Very chic and hip

biboquinhas 02-13-2008 11:38 AM

I think that one of the first thing she will do when she becomes a Princess is to cut her hair.

denice 02-14-2008 01:01 AM

Why do you think she will cut her hair??

biboquinhas 02-14-2008 09:17 AM

They all do and her hair is too long and shapless.

Princess_Beatrix 02-14-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biboquinhas (Post 729389)
They all do and her hair is too long and shapless.

I hope she will keep it long! :smile:
She has so beautiful hair.
I think it will look amazing with a tiara!

dazzling 02-14-2008 10:15 AM

I dont think that would be one of the first things unless its a trim. Her hair suits her long very well, I dont think short hair or hair shoulder length would look good. I would prefer it a bit shorter than it is now. I also think bangs are nice on her

biboquinhas 02-15-2008 05:23 AM

Yes a little bit shorter for sure but I also think she looks good with long hair, but also Mary looked good in short hair and she had it cut, letizia also looks very good in long hair and she had it cut, so I think Marie will cut her hair also and maybe just before her wedding.

sgl 02-15-2008 09:54 AM

I don't think that she should go too short. I think that anything above the shoulders would not look good on her. I do like Letizia's style, but I'm not sure how that would work on Marie.

biboquinhas 02-15-2008 10:06 AM

I don't think that it worked for Mary or for Leitzia,I really don't like that style at all

ladybelline 02-15-2008 12:23 PM

Maybe Marie won't cut her hair before the wedding...but I'm quite sure she'll have a bun on her big day, in order to wear the veil and tiara...
Are there pictures of her wearing that hairstyle?(ie= bun)?

Her_Majesty 02-15-2008 01:00 PM

I am very sure she won't cut it before the wedding and I also guess she won't cut it during the early times as a Princess.
It seems to be a a kind of Princess-rule: keep yor hair long during the first time as a Princess, wait a short time, then (after a few months/years) you can cut it. ;) Máxima did that; as well as Mary, Mette-Marit and Letizia:biggrin:.

AquaMarine 02-26-2008 04:26 AM

I think it is not only a Princess rule, it is a Lady rule.
Once I've read "Real Lady 10 rules" and among them long and slick hair headed the list.

sgl 03-02-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaMarine (Post 734081)
I think it is not only a Princess rule, it is a Lady rule.
Once I've read "Real Lady 10 rules" and among them long and slick hair headed the list.

What is "Real Lady 10 Rules"? Is it a book? Can you provide a link? I am just curious about what is on their list. Thanks!

lyndaW 03-04-2008 11:20 AM

I think her engagement outfit was terrible. So far the clothes I have seen her in are just average. Prince Joachim has impeccable taste in his own clothing, perhaps he can assist her in some of her clothes.

Her_Majesty 04-16-2008 10:23 AM

Marie's first balcony appearcance, wearing an red-black outfit :flowers:

https://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Apr2008/08041605.jpg
https://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Apr2008/08041611.jpg

She looked really lovely!

queenofcelts 04-16-2008 10:36 AM

She is lovely indeed!

GlitteringTiaras 04-16-2008 11:23 AM

She glows when she smiles, but her outfit is atrocious. And the hair... the fly away bangs which she keeps flipping. Oy! No, just no. Sorry, no suck up from me today. Marie has looked better so I'll let this outfit slip as if it has never been worn.

Other than that I am glad she was on the balcony today.:smile: More images can be seen here.

Duke of Marmalade 04-16-2008 11:31 AM

Her hair doesn't bother me too much but that outfit :eek: Did she get it from an 80ies clothes collection? Same goes for Joachim in his grandpa outfit. But I guess she deserves some credit, is not even a princess yet.

biboquinhas 04-16-2008 11:36 AM

Gosh this outfit!!!Red and black uhmmmm...no!!! And that jacket is too little for her, no a negative for her today!! I think she looks good on casual clothes like jeans and snow clothes ih ih but in elegant outfits she looks terrible because she doesn't know how to chose them!!!!