The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 15: May-July 2007 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/queen-elizabeth-and-the-duke-of-edinburgh-current-events-15-may-july-2007-a-12677.html)

Avalon 05-14-2007 06:44 PM

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 15: May-July 2007

Welcome to the new thread for the Current Events of
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

It starts on May 15, 2007

Part 15, covering period from February 24 to May 15, 2007
can be found here

Avalon 05-16-2007 12:14 PM

The Duke of Edinburgh launches the British Library's Catalogue of Jain Manuscripts in the ballroon at Buckingham Palace, 14 May 2007. ------> Picture

Avalon 05-16-2007 12:17 PM

Buckingham Palace will put on an exhibition recreating the wedding of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip to commemorate their 60th wedding anniversary later this year.

Queen Elizabeth's Wedding Gown To Go On Display At Buckingham Palace
Queen's wedding dress and jewellery to go on display

An exhibition recreating the 1947 wedding day of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will open at Buckingham Palace this summer to mark their 60th anniversary.
The display will feature archive film footage of the celebrations and behind-the-scenes preparations for the day Princess Elizabeth married Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey.

Avalon 05-16-2007 01:25 PM

QUEEN IS GREATEST LIVING BRITON

William Hill fully expect the Queen to be voted the Greatest Living Briton on Monday night and she is the odds on favourite at 4/11 to win the award which will be voted for live on ITV on Monday.
Hills rate Paul McCartney as their 11/4 second favourite with Margaret Thatcher offered at 7/1; 12/1 Robbie Williams and Julie Andrews the 20/1 outsider.

HRH Kimetha 05-16-2007 05:07 PM

Indeed, long live The Queen.:queenelizabeth:

iceflower 05-17-2007 05:21 PM

Pics 17.5.2007

Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh visit Lord's Cricket Ground to watch the England vs West Indies Test Match, London, Britain - 17 May 2007

The Queen
Picture gallery with more pics from isifa

Avalon 05-18-2007 02:22 PM

Queen Elizabeth II inspects soldiers of the 470-year-old Honourable Artillery Company in London, Friday May 18, 2007, when she presented new colours to the company. The Honourable Artillery Company, the oldest surviving regiment in the British Army, is a reserve unit and the only Surveillance and Target Acquisition Patrol Regiment in the army. It's ceremonial duties include providing a guard of honour for the Lord Mayor of the City of London.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth and Sir Richard Dunnatt

Avalon 05-19-2007 04:34 PM

Queen set to taste tangy-spicy Kashmiri delicacies

Queen Elizabeth II will get to taste tangy-spicy Kashmiri delicacies when she visits Huddersfield next week.
She will be served dainty food items like lamb kofta, masala fish and karahi okra, poppdums, and pickles.
The monarch, who is known for her liking of plain food, will be accompanied by her husband, Prince Philip.
According to reports, the idea of organising an Indian feast for the Royals was forwarded by officials in the Yorkshire town, where a large number of Asians reside.
"It's the first time in my experience that the Queen has had an Indian lunch on one of these visits," the Daily Express quoted a courtier as saying about the Kashmiri banquet.

Madjenn 05-20-2007 10:06 AM

Three and four portraits taken by Annie Leibovitz
Photographic Portraits of The Queen Taken by Annie Leibovitz to Mark State Visit to US

BMC 05-20-2007 09:37 PM

I really dislike the third picture, the one with HM wearing the dark cloak against the cloudy skies.
Actually I think these are not the best pictures Annie Liebovitz has taken. I'm disappointed.

crm2317 05-21-2007 06:29 PM

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second has just been voted Briton's best living Briton with a whopping 37% of the vote.

1- Queen Elizabeth
2- Robbie Williams
3- Margaret Thatcher.

God Save the Queen!:flowers:

BeatrixFan 05-21-2007 06:31 PM

Wow. I love all of those Annie Liebovitz pictures. Has anyone got any bigger versions? I think the third one is amazing.

Avalon 05-21-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crm2317
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second has just been voted Briton's best living Briton with a whopping 37% of the vote.

1- Queen Elizabeth
2- Robbie Williams
3- Margaret Thatcher.

God Save the Queen!:flowers:

As if she could have competition. ;)
Thank you for posting the information crm2317. :flowers:

crm2317 05-21-2007 06:41 PM

You are very welcome Avalon. I agree with you that she had no competition. Out of the top 5 I would rather have seen Sir Paul McCartney or Dame Julie Andrews in the number 2 spot instead of Robbie Williams. Just my opinion:rolleyes:

CasiraghiTrio 05-21-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon
As if she could have competition. ;)
Thank you for posting the information crm2317. :flowers:

What number was the Queen in the richest British women ranking?
I remember that she, Kate Moss, and JK Rowling were all Top Three, and I am fairly sure that the Queen was ousted by JK Rowling for #1, but I don't remember if the Queen was #2, Moss #3, or vice-versa?
It is similar to this "Best living". I wonder if JK Rowling can be considered having good odds for "best living" since she is the wealthist British woman, and what about Kate Moss, I would imagine Kate Moss lives as well as Robbie Williams....

crm2317 05-22-2007 05:26 AM

Well personally I would say it is more to do with what the person has done for their country than how much money they have earned. For example yes J.K Rowling is very wealthy and has given a lot to her country and to charity and so deserves to be one of the best living britains. However although Kate Moss is wealthy, as is Robbie Williams, I just don't really understand their nominations. Yea Robbie has done lots of charity work and I do admire his music but I would not have placed him in the top 3, maybe top 10 or 20. Also, aside from these things he is equally as famous for his wild ways and stints in rehab. :flowers:

msleiman 05-22-2007 12:12 PM

State Visit

How many State visit do they have in one year? I does not seem that there are as many as there use to be. Is it because the Queen is getting older? Sorry for all the questions.

Avalon 05-22-2007 12:48 PM

Sir Sigmund Sternberg, Founder of the Three Faiths Forum, presents the Interfaith Gold Medallion to The Queen at Buckingham Palace, 17 May 2007 ------> Picture

Avalon 05-22-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleman
How many State visit do they have in one year? I does not seem that there are as many as there use to be. Is it because the Queen is getting older? Sorry for all the questions.

There is no definite number of state visits per year. It is true that her Majesty is still very active, especially for her age.

The number of state visits in different years has varied. For example, Queen Elizabeth has made 6 State visits in 1980 (to Italy, Switzerland, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco and a visit to Pope John Paul II). But in 1990s she has made 10 state visits in all.

In 2000 the Queen has made 2 state visits - to Italy and and to visit the Pope (visit to Vatican also counts as separate state visit).
In 2001 there was 1 state visit - to Norway (to mark King Harald's celebrations)
There were no state visits in 2002 and 2003.
In 2004 the Queen visited Germany and France (thanks HMQueenElizabethII for reminding).
No state visit in 2005
In 2006 the Queen made 3 State visits - to Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia
The Queen has at least 2 State visits in 2007 - the visit to the USA (already finished) and the visit to Uganda.

Generally, the Queen pays quite a few oversees visits these years: various members of the British Royal Family represent Her Majesty on a number of overseas events.

BeatrixFan 05-22-2007 03:48 PM

BBC NEWS | England | London | Duke visits Cutty Sark wreckage

The Duke of Edinburgh visited the site of the Cutty Sark fire today.

Duchess 05-22-2007 03:53 PM

i love the portraits of the queen, especially the third one. leibovitz is an amazing photographer.

iceflower 05-22-2007 04:15 PM

Pics 22.5.2007

Some more pics of the Queen and Prince Philip today:

Queen Elizabeth II recieves Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II is greeted by the Mr Nelson Hagerman (left) and his wife, the Lieutenant Governor of
Prince Edward Island, Mrs Barbara Hagerman (centre), inside Buckingham Palace, London, 22 May 2007

Queen 1
Queen 2

The Duke of Edinburgh visits the Cutty Sark site in Greenwich. London, 22 May 2007

Pic 1
Pic 2

CasiraghiTrio 05-22-2007 05:13 PM

So the Duke skipped out on the Chelsea Flower Show this year?
I guess all that flowery stuff was never much to his tastes. ;)

selrahc4 05-22-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
So the Duke skipped out on the Chelsea Flower Show this year?

I don't think so. Avalon posted a link to his picture in the Chelsea Flower Show thread. Wearing a raincoat and carrying an umbrella, if I recall the pciture correctly.

HMQueenElizabethII 05-22-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon
In 2004 the Queen visited Germany

Thanks, Avalon.You have got a really clear, update about visits of Her Majesty in recent years. Just a little adding, that in April 2004 The Queen paid a State Visit to France to President Jacques Chirac.

Avalon 05-22-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Thanks, Avalon.You have got a really clear, update about visits of Her Majesty in recent years. Just a little adding, that in April 2004 The Queen paid a State Visit to France to President Jacques Chirac.

Thank you for reminding, HMQueenElizabethII. :flowers:
I've completely forgotten about the Queen's two day visit to France.

iceflower 05-23-2007 03:28 AM

Pics 22.5.2007

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip open the new Planetarium and Education Centre at the Royal Observatory National Maritime Museum, in Greenwich, London, UK on May 22, 2007. Photos by Nunn

Pic 1
Pic 2
Picture gallery

Warren 05-23-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceflower
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II - May 22, 2007 : Pic 2.

Thanks Iceflower :flowers:. In Pic 2 HM is wearing her not-so-small Cartier Flower Basket brooch.
Not a current event as such, but to add some sparkle to the thread here's a better look at the jeweller's art: click!.

Avalon 05-23-2007 10:08 AM

Thanks Iceflower and Warren for the picture of the Queen's brooch - it's one of my favourite ones of Her Majesty. :flowers:

Avalon 05-23-2007 01:44 PM

Queen honours Canadian pilot who flies for British air force

A Canadian helicopter pilot who flies with the Royal Air Force in Britain was honoured by Queen Elizabeth on Wednesday in part for his bravery during a rescue mission in Afghanistan.
Flight Lieut. Chris Hasler was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross at Buckingham Palace in London. He is the first Canadian to win the medal since the Korean War.

karla64 05-24-2007 03:36 PM

Axe man arrested before Queen's visit.. :eek:
whew I am glad she okay...

BBC NEWS | UK | England | West Yorkshire | Axe arrest before Queen's visit

Man with axe arrested just yards from the Queen | the Daily Mail

princess gertrude 05-24-2007 10:04 PM

Love the color of the Queen's outfit! And she looks as if she is truly having a good time. What a gem of a woman!

iceflower 05-25-2007 03:26 AM

Pics 24.5.2007

Queen Elizabeth II wears slippers and is presented with a garland when she visited a new Hindu Temple, Bradford, England - 24.05.07

Pic 1
Pic 2

Skydragon 05-27-2007 05:53 AM

Queen not amused over Blair's legacy for Britain

Prime Minister Tony Blair, who steps down in a month after 10 years in power, is leaving a legacy for Britain that has "exasperated and frustrated" Queen Elizabeth II, a newspaper reported Sunday.

Queen not amused over Blair's legacy for Britain - Yahoo! News

Blair sees royal duties as constitutional chore

For all his willingness to mouth the usual flattering references about the Queen's role when called upon to do so, Tony Blair has always given the impression of setting little store by the historical relationship between monarch and prime minister

Blair sees royal duties as constitutional chore | Uk News | News | Telegraph

BeatrixFan 05-27-2007 12:41 PM

Sounds like HM is as happy to see the back of him and his odious wife as the rest of us are. The Blairs have always been rude to the Royal Family, especially Tony Blair. Oh to have a PM like Lady Thatcher who valued every word the Queen spake.

Elspeth 05-27-2007 12:49 PM

Well, given how he spent so much time trying to sideline and undermine the monarchy, it's hardly surprising that the Queen wouldn't appreciate it. But these reports are supposed to have come from a "close confidant" of the Queen's, and I can't see a close confidant of the Queen's chatting to the Telegraph.

I think more than a few of us are grateful for the existence of the monarchy precisely because it did what Tony Blair seems to have been so upset about its doing - it provided a separation between the position of Head of State and the partisan short-term outlook of party politics. I expect Tony Blair, that great supporter of George Bush, could see very well that combining the two positions, and thus being able to tie patriotism firmly to party allegiance, is very handy for a politician whose major loyalty is to his party, and I expect he could also see that having a nonpolitical Head of State as the ultimate focus of the nation's image was an obstacle to that political aim. And long may that last, IMO.

BeatrixFan 05-27-2007 01:05 PM

Hear Hear. It also stuck in Cherie's clack who seemed to think she was some great First Lady who deserved devotion from the British.

Royal Fan 05-27-2007 10:11 PM

Wonder How Gordon Brown will do?

Elspeth 05-27-2007 10:59 PM

If he becomes Prime Minister, we'll have to wait for a while to see how he and the Queen get along.

CasiraghiTrio 05-29-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Sounds like HM is as happy to see the back of him and his odious wife as the rest of us are. The Blairs have always been rude to the Royal Family, especially Tony Blair. Oh to have a PM like Lady Thatcher who valued every word the Queen spake.

Well, he's not really different from his Labour "ancestors", is he? The Telegraph piece made me think of Chuter Ede who also had zero patience for the monarch-minister traditional interactions. Thatcher was Conservative, and they are always snuggy-huggy with the monarchy. Thatcher was too far Conservative, though. Isn't there a happy medium somewhere? Someone who respects the monarchy but isn't totalitarian?

BeatrixFan 05-29-2007 10:05 PM

Well, it doesn't always follow in Labour's case. Harold Wilson was very fond of the Queen and he sought her advice on alot of things he did. Their relationship even survived rumours that Lord Mountbatten was involved in the plot of a military coup against Wilson. He was very friendly and said that he valued her opinions and their weekly audiences hugely. Thatcher was simply in love with the Queen and I'm sure would have gone for absolute monarchy if she could be sure she'd be appointed as PM. I don't think there was a happy medium in the past because the parties were so different but nowadays who knows?

CasiraghiTrio 05-29-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Well, it doesn't always follow in Labour's case. Harold Wilson was very fond of the Queen and he sought her advice on alot of things he did. Their relationship even survived rumours that Lord Mountbatten was involved in the plot of a military coup against Wilson. He was very friendly and said that he valued her opinions and their weekly audiences hugely. Thatcher was simply in love with the Queen and I'm sure would have gone for absolute monarchy if she could be sure she'd be appointed as PM. I don't think there was a happy medium in the past because the parties were so different but nowadays who knows?

I don't mean anything against Lady Thatcher. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I am a lonely liberal in the US at the moment, very upset by the present White House administration, so anything remotely Far Right sounding touches a nerve in me. I think I need to read up on Harold Wilson because he sounds like my kind of guy! I am a liberal but I love the British monarchy and forever seek the 'happy medium'. In all credit due to Lady Thatcher, old age was kind to her, like a fine wine, much better and more savored with age.

More on topic, what about that Yorkshire incident with the axe guy? Did the Queen and Prince Philip go on to do the scheduled walkabout, or did the "incident" cause that plan to be axed? God, what is it with me and the unintentional puns today? :eek:

BeatrixFan 05-29-2007 10:35 PM

No no, not at all. I know you didn't mean any insult to Lady Thatcher, it's undeniable that she was a raging monarchist. Harold Wilson wasn't exactly a success as PM. He was extremely paranoid and believed that people wanted to kill him, hence why he resigned. He also tried to paint himself as a pipe-smoking man of the people when in fact, he was swilling champagne and rewarding his pals behind the doors of Number 10. He became known for the last Honours List which was alledgedly written by his secretary and mistress, Marcia Williams who he created Baroness Falkender and to this day has never spoken in the Lords. Labour or Tory rarely actually means "I hate the Queen" or "I hate the Queen" respectively. James Callaghan was a monarchist and put on a good Jubilee for the Queen in 1977 even though he was Labour. By the same token, John Major didn't seek the Queen's advice enough. It's an interesting topic.

As to the Yorkshire incident, the Queen and the Duke did do the walkabout as planned. The chap was obviously a publicity seeker and I doubt he'd have actually hurt the Queen.

CasiraghiTrio 05-29-2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Harold Wilson wasn't exactly a success as PM. He was extremely paranoid and believed that people wanted to kill him.

Hmm......sounds familiar? ;) Thank you for the information. I am thoroughly enlightened and fascinated. :flowers:

Elspeth 05-29-2007 11:18 PM

I think Beatrixfan is planning a new thread on the topic of the Queen and her Prime Ministers, so this may be a good time to get this thread back on topic.

Skydragon 05-30-2007 05:56 AM

British man eats dog in royal fox protest

A British artist ate a corgi dog, famous for being Queen Elizabeth II's favourite breed, in protest Tuesday after a group including her husband Prince Philip allegedly killed a fox earlier this year.

British man eats dog in royal fox protest - Yahoo! News

Live on radio! :rofl: Nutter! :rolleyes:

CasiraghiTrio 05-30-2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon
British man eats dog in royal fox protest

A British artist ate a corgi dog, famous for being Queen Elizabeth II's favourite breed, in protest Tuesday after a group including her husband Prince Philip allegedly killed a fox earlier this year.

British man eats dog in royal fox protest - Yahoo! News

Live on radio! :rofl: Nutter! :rolleyes:

That's just insane! People like him call themselves liberals and make the rest of us look nuts. :bang: I'm seriously coming to view the fox hunting debate from the Conservative view, however. I think a lot of the pro arguments for it make a lot of sense, and the "liberal" answer regarding fox hunting is often more inhumane, from what I can see.... I think there might be a better solution than fox hunting, but until the liberals come up with one, I'm backing you lot (most of you, I'm gathering are for it) on this one.

karla64 05-30-2007 11:22 AM

Cute young 4 year old hope to find Pen-pal guess who: Queen Elizabeth II

Boy's balloon finds pen-pal: the Queen - Yahoo! News UK

Elspeth 05-30-2007 12:10 PM

He's concerned about cruelty to animals so he's eating a dog? Whatever. Did the dog conveniently die peacefully of old age right before the stunt, or how did he manage to do this without cruelty to an animal being involved?

CasiraghiTrio 05-30-2007 12:32 PM

I know, that man eating dog story was just not the ideal way to kick off a morning! Fortunately, the balloon story balances it out. That is adorable. It's awesome, like a dream. I would be over the moon if I sent a pen pal balloon and got a royal reply! Imagine the odds!:smile:

scooter 05-30-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I don't mean anything against Lady Thatcher. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I am a lonely liberal in the US at the moment, very upset by the present White House administration, so anything remotely Far Right sounding touches a nerve in me. I think I need to read up on Harold Wilson because he sounds like my kind of guy! I am a liberal but I love the British monarchy and forever seek the 'happy medium'. In all credit due to Lady Thatcher, old age was kind to her, like a fine wine, much better and more savored with age.

More on topic, what about that Yorkshire incident with the axe guy? Did the Queen and Prince Philip go on to do the scheduled walkabout, or did the "incident" cause that plan to be axed? God, what is it with me and the unintentional puns today? :eek:

Dont feel lonely, I'm one too!

msleiman 05-31-2007 09:54 AM

The Queen and the Balloon

I just saw on the news that a little boy sent a note on a balloon and the Queen received the balloon. Not only did she answer, but has written to the little boy twice. Has anyone heard about this story:smile: . The story was on NBC ,so the story should be up on the site later today. BTW, I just found a link Boy's balloon finds pen-pal in queen - Peculiar Postings - MSNBC.com.

selrahc4 05-31-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msleiman
Not only did she answer, but has written to the little boy twice.

She didn't write herself. But the person who did write the letters does work for the Queen.

babyd0ll 06-01-2007 05:23 AM

what a cute story! x

Avalon 06-01-2007 02:14 PM

Queen Elizabeth II during a garden party at the University of Ulster in Coleraine, Northern Ireland, Friday, June 1, 2007.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth and Northern Ireland's First Minister Ian Paisley

Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth shakes hands with Eileen Paisley, the wife of Dr Ian Paisley
Queen Elizabeth shakes hands with Northern Ireland's First Minister Dr Ian Paisley

iceflower 06-01-2007 05:53 PM

Thanks for the pics from today, Avalon, the Queen and Mr Paisley were both born in April 1926, but the Queen looks much younger :smile: :smile:

Here's an additional pic of the Queen and Prince Philip arriving at the garden party: The Queen and Prince Philip 1.6.2007

Skydragon 06-02-2007 06:50 AM

Queen marks coronation at the Derby

The Queen attends the Epsom Derby today on the 54th anniversary of her coronation
Accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, the monarch will watch the racing at the Epsom Downs track in Surrey.

Queen marks coronation at the Derby | Uk News | News | Telegraph

fanletizia 06-02-2007 02:51 PM

anp

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Duke of Marmalade 06-02-2007 06:45 PM

Thanks for the pics. I saw the Queen today at Epsom - she & Prince Philip were driven up the race track in a car before they went into the Royal Box. She looked GREAT in her blue coat and the blue hat with a pink ribbon.
They are both amazing - they seem so young and energetic despite their age!

GillW 06-06-2007 10:34 AM

Has anyone seen any pictures of the Concert at Buckingham Palace in honour of the RNIB - it was held on 4 June, but all I can find is about Rod Stuart attending!!

Jose 06-06-2007 05:11 PM

It is Queen Elizabeth is beautiful dress and hat!!! Prince Philip is now 86 on 10 june birthday! He is high age and active with Queen Elizabeth beside! They married in 60th anniversary.!!!

Avalon 06-07-2007 06:56 PM

The Queen receives the Ambassador from Burundi to the Court of St. James's, His Excellency Mr. Laurent Kavakure,
at Buckingham Palace, 6 June 2007. -----> Picture

The Queen receives the Ambassador from Andorra to the Court of St. James's, Her Excellency Mrs. Maria Rosa Picart de Francis, who presents the Letters of Recall of her predecessor and her own Letters of Credence, Buckingham Palace, 6 June 2007. -----> Picture

Skydragon 06-08-2007 05:45 AM

Prince Philip, they hardly know ye

A South Pacific 'cargo cult' petitions its deity for bags of rice and a Land Rover

Prince Philip, they hardly know ye | csmonitor.com

Avalon 06-08-2007 03:22 PM

The Queen meets personnel during a visit to the Defence College of Policing and Guarding in Portsmouth, Hampshire, 7 June 2007. Her Majesty toured the facilities and attended a service in the Memorial Church before attending a Garden Party. -----> Picture

The Queen speaks to members of the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police at a Garden Party at the Defence College of Policing and Guarding in Hampshire, 7 June 2007. During her visit to the College, Her Majesty toured and then opened the Royal Military Police Museum -----> Picture

Avalon 06-08-2007 03:25 PM

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh are greeted by crowds outside Romsey Abbey, Hampshire, after attending a service to mark the four hundredth anniversary of the market town's Royal Charter, 8 June 2007. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness later attended a reception in the Town Hall for people representing the life of Romsey. -----> Picture

karla64 06-08-2007 04:43 PM

MORE PICS...

Fotobanka isifa image service

other question

when the trooping for Queen's birthday Parade will be this next week on June 16th right??

karla64

iceflower 06-08-2007 05:07 PM

Yes, I think that's the right date, karla64 :smile:

Here's another very nice picture gallery from today at getty:

HRH Queen And Prince Philip Visit Romsey in Hampshire

As a friend of the Queen, Lord Brabourne, formerly Lord Romsey (Norton Knatchbull), was allowed to kiss her , a rare pic ;) :smile: --> Pic

selrahc4 06-08-2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceflower

As a friend of the Queen, Lord Brabourne, formerly Lord Romsey (Norton Knatchbull), was allowed to kiss her , a rare pic ;) :smile:

A blood relative as well as a friend.

ElisaR 06-08-2007 06:56 PM

I love her outfit and hat. :flowers:

Avalon 06-08-2007 07:01 PM

Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip and Lord and Lady Brabourne Planting of Mulberry trees to commemorate the 400th Anniversary of the granting of a Royal Charter, Romsey, Hampshire, Britain - 08 Jun 2007

Pictures:
Prince Philip planting a tree
Queen Elizabeth planting a tree

Queen Elizabeth II visits Romsey Abbey for a service to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the granting of the Royal Charter. The Royal Party then continued to the Market Place for a 'walkabout'

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip
Queen Elizabeth and a sea of British Flags

Gallery of Pictures from Wenn

CasiraghiTrio 06-09-2007 09:33 PM

I'm amazed at how grown up Alexandra Knatchbull is.
:smile:

lucien 06-10-2007 03:55 AM

HRH The Duke of Edinburgh celebrates his 86th birthday today,june 10th!
:flowers:

Skydragon 06-10-2007 03:49 PM

He will get the guns tomorrow! :royalguard:

CasiraghiTrio 06-11-2007 09:09 AM

I can't find the same news story I saw yesterday about what guns he gets. He gets a salute from the Tower, I remember, but is it a 40-gun salute or what?

Skydragon 06-11-2007 01:01 PM

He got 41 rounds fired by the Kings Troop Royal Horse in Hyde Park at midday.
Around 13.00 hrs he got 62 rounds fired near the Tower of London by the Honorary Artillery Company. :flowers:

Skydragon 06-13-2007 06:47 AM

Royal Scrooges sting taxpayers

THE Queen and Prince Charles - despite having a $1.5 billion fortune - have stung Australian taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars for royal gifts given to John Howard and other officials.

Royal Scrooges sting taxpayers | Herald Sun

They have certainly picked the worst picture of Charles, to suit their story - are they part of the News of the World group? :rolleyes:

Warren 06-13-2007 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skydragon
are they part of the News of the World group?

Yes, the (Melbourne) Herald Sun is part of the News Corp. empire.

wbenson 06-13-2007 05:22 PM

They act as if it's news that Australia, at some point, pays a small amount of money for the costs of the Australian Monarch and her family. (I know the article says "British", but it's not when it deals with other realms.)

fanletizia 06-14-2007 08:59 AM

Queen Elizabeth II (R) and Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, arrive for a Remembrance Service commemorating 25 years since the Falklands conflict at The Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel in Pangbourne, Berkshire, 14 June 2007. Queen Elizabeth II, former prime minister Margaret Thatcher and current premier Tony Blair are participating in commemorations marking the of the end of the war with Argentina over Britain's rugged, windswept South Atlantic Ocean outpost. British soldiers entered the Falklands' capital Stanley on June 14, 1982, ending the 74-day occupation and a conflict which killed 649 Argentine and 255 British service personnel and three islanders

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

BeatrixFan 06-14-2007 09:41 AM

I watched the service on the BBC and was utterly appalled when Cherie Blair refused to curtsey or bow her head, despite her husband bowing just seconds before the Queen shook hands with Cherie. Baroness Thatcher meant more to me today than ever; Cherie grinned inanely at the Queen but wouldn't curtsey, the Queen moved onto Margaret who dropped the finest curtsey and bowed her head. Marvellous - now you tell me who's got more class? Margaret Beckett also pulled off a nice curtsey but only gave a slight bow of the head to the Duke of Edinburgh. Very strange.

iceflower 06-14-2007 10:49 AM

Pics 14.6.2007

Here's a picture gallery with pics from today:

GBR: 25th Anniversary Of The Falklands Conflict Remembered

This one is quite cute :smile: :
A school girl looks through the legs of her fellow pupils to catch a glimse of VIP arrivals at The Falkland
Islands Memorial Chapel at Pangbourne College on June 14, 2007 in Berkshire, England. Macdiarmid/Getty Images
Pic

karla64 06-14-2007 12:37 PM

more pics...

more pics cute children...

more pics...
Abaca Press Americas Search Results

Elspeth 06-14-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

I watched the service on the BBC and was utterly appalled when Cherie Blair refused to curtsey or bow her head, despite her husband bowing just seconds before the Queen shook hands with Cherie. Baroness Thatcher meant more to me today than ever; Cherie grinned inanely at the Queen but wouldn't curtsey, the Queen moved onto Margaret who dropped the finest curtsey and bowed her head. Marvellous - now you tell me who's got more class? Margaret Beckett also pulled off a nice curtsey but only gave a slight bow of the head to the Duke of Edinburgh. Very strange.

I wonder if Cherie will make Tony refuse the peerage that's usually offered to ex-PMs.:lol:

Skydragon 06-14-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspeth
I wonder if Cherie will make Tony refuse the peerage that's usually offered to ex-PMs.:lol:

Don't be silly! :rofl: :rofl: She isn't that principled!

BeatrixFan 06-14-2007 04:08 PM

Oh we can be sure that Baroness Blair will lap up her role as Lady of the Manor. Odious woman.

Skydragon 06-14-2007 04:13 PM

I don't think they even have a manor! :lol: She could never be mistaken for a Lady either! :rofl:

Perhaps HM could bring in new rules and exclude them.:biggrin:

BeatrixFan 06-14-2007 04:22 PM

Oh I don't know - have you heard how much the place in Connaught Square cost? I'd love HM to say in a public address, "Thank God those two are going because they've really got on my boobies for the last 10 years".

kpusa1981 06-14-2007 04:39 PM

Was Prince Andrew there?

BeatrixFan 06-14-2007 04:40 PM

No. He was conspicuous by his absence. Edward was in the Falklands which was an odd choice so I'm not sure where Andrew was.

iceflower 06-15-2007 04:51 PM

Pics 15.6.2007

Prince Philip holding a copy of the new Shakespeare Globe first folio edition of 'Love's Labour's Lost' - Prince Philip was visiting Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of it's opening, London, Britain - 15 Jun 2007

Pic 1
Pic 2
Picture gallery from isifa

sirmax 06-15-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

No. He was conspicuous by his absence. Edward was in the Falklands which was an odd choice so I'm not sure where Andrew was.

Maybe they invited the Earl of Wessex because of his title and not because if he fought or not. To me it makes more sense that Andrew would be their too.

BeatrixFan 06-15-2007 08:27 PM

The Queen's Birthday Honours are out so prepare for a barrage of anti-monarchist crap. A link to the honours in full;

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h..._hons_main.pdf

Some highlights are:

Ian Botham - Knighthood
Salman Rushdie - Knighthood
Barry Humphries (Dame Edna) gets a CBE
Stephan Poliakoff gets a CBE
David Starkey gets a CBE
Jane Tomlinson gets a CBE
Joe Cocker gets an OBE
Ryan Giggs gets an OBE
Peter Sallis gets an OBE
Bill Pertwee gets an MBE

Sylvia Sims also gets an OBE - she played the Queen Mother in "The Queen". Sadly, June Whitfield and Liz Smith were not given anything this year (I'd signed petitions for both to get Damehoods) and Barry Humphries loses out on a Knighthood which I would think was far more appropriate than a CBE. Oh well.

wbenson 06-15-2007 11:40 PM

Vice-Admiral Timothy Laurence was also made a CB in the Ministry of Defence list.

Jo of Palatine 06-16-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 627300)
T and Barry Humphries loses out on a Knighthood which I would think was far more appropriate than a CBE. Oh well.

Would he have been made a "Sir" or would "Dame" Edna finally receive a lawful title?;)

BeatrixFan 06-16-2007 01:35 PM

Well, there was a spell when Edna didn't use her Damehood. This was during the Republic referendum and she put herself out as "Mrs Edna Everage" but now she seems happy to use the Damehood again.

Jo of Palatine 06-16-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan (Post 627522)
Well, there was a spell when Edna didn't use her Damehood. This was during the Republic referendum and she put herself out as "Mrs Edna Everage" but now she seems happy to use the Damehood again.

BTW - did you realise that "Dame" Edna is in fact a "Dr." Edna? I was not really surprised but impressed to see that in the list (am still a believer in academic merits...;)).

BeatrixFan 06-16-2007 07:07 PM

I had no idea that BH had a Doctorate or that his name is John and not Barry! I'm glad he got a CBE to add to his AO but I think Sir Barry Humphries would have been nicer.

Royal Fan 06-16-2007 08:43 PM

Whats CB? something in the Military I Imagine

wbenson 06-16-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal Fan (Post 627660)
Whats CB? something in the Military I Imagine

Companion of the Order of the Bath. I'm pretty sure it's related to his new rank and position, since it's in the military division of the Order.

Elspeth 06-19-2007 03:34 AM

The Royal Ascot thread is here:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...years-143.html