The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Denmark (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/)
-   -   General Questions and Information about the Danish Royal Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/general-questions-and-information-about-the-danish-royal-family-1262.html)

paulette 11-14-2003 10:16 AM

General Questions and Information about the Danish Royal Family

Does Denmark have a National Day? I'm sure it's yes but what time in the year?
If ever you have some pictures or informations, please post it. :)

Louise 11-15-2003 05:00 AM

Hi everyone.

The official Danish national day is june the 5th, which is the day we celebrate the constitution. But we also celebrate the queens birthday, which is the 16th of april.

paulette 11-15-2003 08:10 AM

Thanks Louise for the dates and events!

hrhcp 11-15-2003 09:59 AM

Quote:

Louise  Posted: Nov 15th, 2003 - 5:00 am
The official Danish national day is june the 5th

There is then no confusion for those (Swedes working in Denmark and vice versa) with Sweden celebrating its national day on June 6 ? :innocent:

Louise 11-16-2003 06:34 AM

well, since the danish national day isn't a holiday, strangely enough, I think the stores have started to close around noon, but we didn't get the day of when I was in school, I don't think there can be that much confusion.

Josefine 09-22-2004 04:53 PM

are there is photos of royals from june 5

betina 11-02-2004 08:04 AM

in the schools today the 5th of June is a holliday, but really you can´t call it a national day. It is more a constitution day. We are not celebrating it like the americans.
Betina

DKgirls 11-02-2004 10:35 AM

We wouldn't call the Queen's birthday a national day......it isn't celebrated and noone has the day off! But we do know that every year a couple of days before, our class has a big discussion with our teachers about why we don't have the day off since we really should!

But even though we have Grundlovsdag(June 5th) off, we still don't celebrate! But you did earlier, it just doesn't any more :)

paulette 11-02-2004 06:50 PM

The Danes have a long history of traditions, which often date back to before Christianity
made its entry into Denmark. The Danish flag, the Dannebrog, is the most frequently
used symbol. It is used on most festive occasions and holidays, which is why the Danes
are among the people who use their flag the most.

Constitution Day, 5 June, celebrates the Danish Constitution and the introduction of
democracy in 1849. All shops and schools are closed on that day, and public offices and institutions close at 12 noon. Politicians and other celebrities make speeches in parks and gatherings throughout the country.

Is this what would happen during constitution day?

sara1981 11-03-2004 12:33 AM

same Norway have national day follow day im not sure what day of national day of Norway's national day!

Sara Boyce

Yennie 11-03-2004 04:49 AM

Norway celebrates the national day on May 17.
Now thats what I call a party :) I´ve been there once and it was amazing. There were people everywere, they were all dressed in national costumes and it was like a huge party everywhere in the city of Oslo.

DKgirls 11-03-2004 09:34 AM

Exactly Yennie, Norway has what we would call a real National Day :) Of course Denmark has one, but it's not the same when noone celebrates it!

rchainho 06-24-2005 01:02 PM

'Unofficial' Cars of the Danish Royals

The speedy prince

Excerpt from the book:Frederik, by Poul Jørgensen, 1998

The Crown Prince got his driving license shortly before his 18 anniversary.

This day is a great one in a young man's life. To become eigtheen is the first real milestone, and this was the day where CP frederik was celebrated with full honour.

The CP of Denmark became 18: may 26, 1986, and he came of age, too. From this day on he must appear at the meeting of the ministers, and there was a huge official celebration that day.

A little less official was the start of the day. The CP was waked up by the sound of hurrays shouted beneath his windows, and members of the DR Girl Choir singing for him.

Many gifts had appeared in good time before the event, other at the anniversary day. But the best one, stood in the garage.

It had arrived the day before, and the CP had visited it at the shop. Now it was there. A Volvo 480 ES. A speedy Swedish sportscar, the first of it's kind in Denmark. The firm had provided two, so that the CP could chose the colour, a dark or a silver painted. CP Frederik chose the dark one.

The car had stayed the nigth and smiled to him before the birthday party. The driving license was OK, but the order was that he musn't touch the car before his 18th anniversary, so he could drive legally.

It must had been hard for him the day before, not to touch the car.

Later the prince would take revenge.

And CP Frederik looks to be very happy when he drives a car. And he drives fast. The "turbo prince" and the "ligthening prince" is some of the expressions used by the press.

He has had different types of cars. BMV M3, Volvo 740 to name a few, all speedy.

Often one may experience a car speeding by on the Danish roads, and who is sitting behide the steering wheel? Yes, the Crown Prince.

And this he hasn't from foreigners. His maternal grandmother, Queen Ingrid, didn't waste time letting herself be driven from one place to another, no, she took the wheels herself and was quite speedy.

The Crown Prince has often drivin right up to a speeding ticket at a police control block, but as he is beyond the law, he probably don't get one. Perhaps he has got a friendly scold from the police officer.

But QMII and P. Henrik dont look with approval on, that the CP and his brother drive too fast. They must, like any other citizen, keep inside the speed limits, and it's a royal scold, if they don't.

The CP is always followed by security guards, driving behind him. The CP is probably a good driver, and this the security guards have to be, too, if they want to stay in company. One or two times the press has written that the security guards had to give up following the CP. It has simply been too dangerous.....

His brother, Prince Joachim, has the impression, too, that a car is something used for getting from one place to another, as quickly as possibly.

Under a vacation in France in august 1988 at the Château Caïx, the two princes had a car accident.

CP Frederik and P Joachim was driving with two friends, who was at vacation too. Prince Joachim was behind the steering wheel in a little Peugot 205, which belonged the the Château. On the backseat sat the CP with leiutenant Peter Heering, and on the front seat besides Prince Joachim sat leiutenant Anders Molkte-Leth.

On a small curvy road running along the river Lot, near Chäteaux Caïx, prince Joachim lost control over the car near the vilalge Luzech.

The car rolled around, landing on the roof, and CP Frederik and Peter Heering were hurled out of the car, and both landed in the river.

Prince Joachim told about the accident, that he, on the narrow road, met a car who was driving directly against him, in the middle of the road. He meant that he had to pull the car to the right, to avoid a frontal car crash.

Out in the roadside, which were close to the side of the mountain, he lost control of the car. It turned about and went across the road and into a tree. The car rolled over and CP Frederik broke a collarbone, when he was hurled out of the crushed side window. Furthermore he got a gash in his forehead, which was sewed up in the hospital. CP Frederik had to stay the nigth at the hospital, as had his two friends, who got some minor scratches and pressed ribs. P. Joachim, who was lucky with only minor scratches and a gash in his arm, could go home after the treatment at the hospital.

The French police, who naturally was investgating the crash, dismissed that there was any possibility of speedy driving. They claimed it wasn't possibly to drive more than 90 km pr hour on that particular road.

From the outside you couldn't see that CP Frederik had broken his collarbone. he had no bandage and said that it had to heal naurally. He can be tough and ignore pain.

The two friend who had been in the car, weren't confrontated with the press. They had in a way no part of the accident.

It was hinted immediately that Prince Joachim had been speeding, which he denied categorically. A newspaper alleged that the Prince had been driving 150 km pr. hour, but no, 80 km pr. hour, or maximum 90 meant P. Joachim, it wasn't possibly to drive faster on that road. The road was narrow, only 4 meters in width, and very sineous.

Many asked to the car, but it wasn't showed. The sigth of it was reserved the French police and the automechanic, who had it brougth to his workshop.

It was when the Queen and the Prince saw the car, they realized how close it could have been to a real tragedy, and that Denmark no longer would have had two princes. It was obvious that the Regents had been touched, and that the car was a total wreck - in reality a heap of crumbled scrap.

Berlingske Tidende had a little after story. They could reveal that the accident happened at the exact day, when the French premier Michel Rocard gave his car driving compatriots a telling-off. He was very tired of the Frenchmen's hazardous driving, which every year killed 10,000, costing one eigth of the GNP.

The news about the princes' car crash didn't get to Denmark at first, because the Queen and the Court had decided, that they wouldn't inform the public before they had more specific information about it.

The accident incidently happened a year after, that CP Paulos of Greece, the cousin of the princes, had a close encounter with death in a similar accident in England, where he, after a car accident, dropped 15 meters down from a bridge.

Immediately after the accident it was discussed, whether the two princes ougth to be together in a car, that they should have driven in two different cars. Normally when the royal family travels, they don't travel together, but there are no fixed rules about this. The royal family has developed some unwritten rules throughout the years, which says that the Queen and her sons never travel in the same airplane.

Prince Joachim, who is next in the line for the throne, did fly with his mother when they travelled in Australia, though, when QMII and P Henrik was on an official visit there and Prince Joachim was working on an Australian farm as a part of his agricultural training. No rule without an exception, and here was one of them.

The accident in France was in itself a quite ordinary accident, one of those which happens a lot during daily life. But it was the Crown Prince and number two in line, who was involved and this increased the interest.

The Royal Family are outside the law according to the Constitution. But this only means that it put a much heavier pressure on the Royal Family, when it comes to keeping indside the law. It's a responsibility which they have to execute themselves.

The demands, the society put to the royal family, can often be tough. The public is interested in everything the royals do, and it migth be difficult to put a clear distinction between the private sphere, which ougth to stay private, and the public sphere.

An accident like this may be a private business, but as it happens on a public road, and as the informations is public thriugh the police reports it isn't possibly to keep it from the public eye.

And it's much better to counter myths and rumours by publishing the truth.

The debate about what the Royal Family could do, or not do, to bring itself into dangerous situations went high in Denmark, too.

Everything is dangerous. It's dangerous to walk on the street, because you migth be run over by a car, but how far should the measures go to be secure, is difficult to say.

It would be an impossibly situation if the Royal family had to be totally isolated. This would not be welcomed by several of it's members. And neither would we. Especially when the Queen has been able to keep the Royal House open to change, much more than in earlier times. To demand that the royal family oughn't travel together on a holliday, appears to be a too heavy an interference in their private life (Thor: notice, though, that at the coming trip to Greenland next week, the Queen and P. Henrik don't travel in the same plane as CP Frederik and CP Mary, who arrive a day later).

rchainho 06-24-2005 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The monarchy in Denmark has always had an healthy interest in cars. King Frederik IX swore by his Bentleys, Crown Prince Frederik's car park includes delicious stuff like BMW M3 Evo, Lancia Delta HF Integrale and Ducati 916 - and the makeshift landrover Prince Joachim was in TV with, has beem changed to a new Discovery.

Resource: https://www.bilmagasinet.dk/biltest/?id=470

Saab 900 S - a wedding gift

more pictures of cars that Joachim and Fred drive.

https://www.blumefoto.dk/Kongelige/mo...torprinser.htm

Lady Bluffton 10-11-2006 10:20 PM

Royal Nicknames

I watched segments of Danish TV's documentary on Mary Donaldson, and she constantly refers to CP Frederik as "Frederik". Curious if she was doing that for the camera, or if that's what she actually calls him all the time. I would think she does let "Fred" or "Freddie" slip every once in a while. He's such a cute guy and deserves at least one pet name.

What royal nicknames are out there for the Danish royal family (ones that the family members actually use to refer to one another)?

Tricota 10-11-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton
I watched segments of Danish TV's documentary on Mary Donaldson, and she constantly refers to CP Frederik as "Frederik". Curious if she was doing that for the camera, or if that's what she actually calls him all the time. I would think she does let "Fred" or "Freddie" slip every once in a while. He's such a cute guy and deserves at least one pet name.

What royal nicknames are out there for the Danish royal family (ones that the family members actually use to refer to one another)?

Frederik is often referd to as Pingo in the press, as I believe it was his call sign when he was in the Special Forces as a frogman. Fred or Freddy is nomaly not used. To English I guess...

Joachim is sometimes called Jokke, a very clever play of words...:wacko:

I am not aware of other nicknames or at least I dont remember any...

Royal Fan 10-11-2006 11:31 PM

Daisy of course! :)

norwegianne 10-12-2006 01:58 AM

Frederik is called Frede in the papers, from time to time. Queen Anne-Marie stated in the interview that this was not a family nickname, so I don't think it's odd that Mary isn't using it.

You can also check out the thread in Royal Chit Chat: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ames-8095.html to see if there are something mentioned there?

Jo of Palatine 10-12-2006 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Bluffton

My husband's name is Alexander and I never ever call him Alex or Sascha or another short form of his name. While we of course have amounts of other private names. So for me it is absolute plausible that CP Mary calls her husband only Frederick or HRH or "The Crown Prince" in public while using complete different pet names in private. It may even depend on which name he was introduced to her or introduced himself. If he was introduced, they probably called him Frederick (out of respect, surely).

LadyK 10-12-2006 09:15 AM

To me, I can't imagine Mary calling Frederik "His Royal Highness" or "Crown Prince," at least not when they are alone. They are so close and in love, and calling him HRH seems so stilted and formal.

Jo of Palatine 10-12-2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyK
To me, I can't imagine Mary calling Frederik "His Royal Highness" or "Crown Prince," at least not when they are alone. They are so close and in love, and calling him HRH seems so stilted and formal.

You're right, of course. I was refering to a situation where the princess talks about her husband in public. So if the media eg asked a question about them both, she could be replying: "Well, the Crown Prince and I..." Or "His Royal Highness and I think...." or "Prince Frederick and I...". But of course she would never call him HRH in private - except maybe as a private joke, but that's their private life so I don't want to know about that. :smile:

K Goldberg 04-27-2007 08:41 AM

Pipe Smokers?

Does anyone know which among the royalty "enjoy the pleasures of the briar," so to speak - i.e. pipe smokers? How about Crown Prince Frederik or his brother, Prince Joachim? I've read they smoke, and their Mom is - or was - famous for her smoking. Any others? I mention these two guys - one reason being I've read a higher percentage of Danish males are pipe smokers than men of any other nation. And I'm sure they could afford the very best in smoking articles, were they so inclined.

H.M. Margrethe 04-27-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K Goldberg
Does anyone know which among the royalty "enjoy the pleasures of the briar," so to speak - i.e. pipe smokers? How about Crown Prince Frederik or his brother, Prince Joachim? I've read they smoke, and their Mom is - or was - famous for her smoking. Any others? I mention these two guys - one reason being I've read a higher percentage of Danish males are pipe smokers than men of any other nation. And I'm sure they could afford the very best in smoking articles, were they so inclined.

I know that Queen Margrethes dad King Frederik 9. lovede his pipe and that he had alot of them...I think that you can see the pipes if you wear going to make a trip to the Amalienborg museum in Copenhagen if you was going to take a holliday her in Denmark.

CP Frederik and Prince Joachim don´t youse pips but cigaretts...i really don´t know how mutch CP Frederik is smoking cigarrets after he marriede CP Mary...I still think that Prince Joachim is adictied to his cigarrets sadliy for his and his sons health :sad:

PeoplesPrincess 12-17-2008 04:37 PM

Citizenship of Danish Royal Family Members

I just read in a book about immigration that the only way to be considered a citizen of Denmark is to be born to a Danish mother. According to the book, there are second and third generation residents of Denmark who are not technically citizens. Is this true and what is the citizenship status of C & I? What about Mary?

jinigirl 12-17-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeoplesPrincess (Post 868755)
I just read in a book about immigration that the only way to be considered a citizen of Denmark is to be born to a Danish mother. According to the book, there are second and third generation residents of Denmark who are not technically citizens. Is this true and what is the citizenship status of C & I? What about Mary?

and what is than the status of Queen Margrethe, her mother was danish, and her paternal grandmother was german.....:whistling:

sgl 12-17-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Wow! That is a unique citizenship requirement. I always assumed that if one was born there, they were an automatic citizen. I believe that Mary was granted Danish citizenship upon her marriage to Frederik. Perhaps one of our Danish members could shed some light?

norwegianne 12-17-2008 07:27 PM

Quote:

Do you have the title of the book?

As far as I know, there are five ways to become a Danish citizen.
1. At birth - if either parent is a Dane, and they are married. (Hence, Isabella and Christian would be Danes regardless of Mary's citizenship status, by virtue of Frederik). If parents aren't married, then the child gets automatic citizenship if the mother is Danish. (If the other way around, the child gets automatic citizenship only if it is born in Denmark; if born abroad, it has to apply for the citizenship).

2. When unmarried parents marry - if the child born to unwed parents haven't received a citizenship at birth, it will do so when they marry.

3. Adoption.

4. Citizenship by declaration. (Especially for other Nordic citizens.)

5. Applying for it through naturalization. This is what was done for Alexandra of Berleburg and Nathalie of Berleburg. And also for Henrik, Mary, Alexandra and Marie. Though, with the latter four, they probably went a bit outside the regular channels to get the process sped up so it was valid at the wedding, whereas with the Berleburgs, Prince Richard and Princess Benedikte was said to insist that they shouldn't "jump in line" because they were related to the Queen.

Thus, all the members of the Danish royal family, are Danish citizens.

(the regulations, translated from here)

lyndaW 02-10-2009 09:54 AM

Hypothetically:

To marry into the Danish Royal House you have to give up your birth citizenship......if a divorce should happen and you wish to return to your homeland could you retain your Danish citizenship or would you have to re-apply to get your original citizenship back ??

This question would also be for the other countries that have a Monarchy, such as England and so on

Mandy 02-10-2009 04:26 PM

Let's focus this discussion on the Danish Royals as it was first intended. If you wish to discuss other royal houses and their citizenship laws, please do so in their specific forums.

Thanks, :flowers:
Mandy

wiwaxia 02-19-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinigirl (Post 868769)
and what is than the status of Queen Margrethe, her mother was danish, and her paternal grandmother was german.....:whistling:

Queen Margrethe's mother was Swedish.

Lakshmi 02-20-2009 12:35 AM

I was just reading though posts about royals and citizenship. So, I understand that Alexandra, Mary and now Marie had to give up their country citizenship. If for some reasons Alexandra decides to go back to Hong Kong would she lose Danish citizenship? Would she be Chinese citizen now, if she goes back? I wonder what her citizenship was when she married Joachim, was she British(Hong Kong belonged to UK till 1997)

I wonder if Danes decide to change the law to allow dual citizenship, would be it retroactive and how it would affect mentioned ladies...

Tricota 02-20-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakshmi (Post 896456)
I was just reading though posts about royals and citizenship. So, I understand that Alexandra, Mary and now Marie had to give up their country citizenship. If for some reasons Alexandra decides to go back to Hong Kong would she lose Danish citizenship? Would she be Chinese citizen now, if she goes back? I wonder what her citizenship was when she married Joachim, was she British(Honk Kong belonged to UK till 1997)

I wonder if Danes decide to change the law to allow dual citizenship, would be it radioactive and how it would affect mentioned ladies...

Well, first of all, a change in law, is highly unlikely, as the majority for it is overwelming, as seen as late as this week. Even to let left of the political scale, there is a sence that, you are either Danish, or you are not.

Secondly, yes the princeses had to give up the citizenship, when they married. As a result of that, they are now Danish. And that is it. And unless they actively try to change that, and that might be more of a case for Alexandra (though I doubt she ever would), that remains. Now she can of cause change that again, if she wanted to, and to through the propper forms and regulations. I am not sure what that would mean for her rights as semi royal or for the appanage.

I do not believe that Mary and Marie could do the same though, as they are still married to the Princes.

Mandy 02-20-2009 07:13 PM

Several posts unrelated to the Danish Royals have been moved/copied to a newly created Questions About Danish Citizenship thread in the Members' Corner Forum. Please let's keep this thread on topic.

Thanks! :flowers:
Mandy

Lilla 02-20-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakshmi (Post 896456)
I was just reading though posts about royals and citizenship. So, I understand that Alexandra, Mary and now Marie had to give up their country citizenship. If for some reasons Alexandra decides to go back to Hong Kong would she lose Danish citizenship?

No Lakshmi, Alexandra would not lose her Danish citizenship. Danish citizen who settle down in another country does not automatically lose their Danish citizenship. Not even if becomming citizen of that new country. They can maintaine their Danish citizenship. Their grandchildren won't automatically become Danish citizens though.

Alexandra will only lose her Danish citizenship if it is a condition in Hong Kong for her to give up her Danish citizenship in order to be listed in a naturalisation bill there.

And PeoplesPrincess, to answer your question in the post opening this thread you can read this link (it is in english):

https://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/citiz...h_national.htm

rigsgreve sponneck 06-14-2010 12:31 PM

Help with rules on Danish nobility ????

If a Count marries a non-Countess, they then divorce, ex-wife keeps noble surname and title, she then re-marries and double-barrels the noble name with the husbands name (retaining part noble surname)...does she retain the title of Countess? A sequence of events that intrigues me...any ideas??????????

Lumutqueen 06-14-2010 12:41 PM

When she has remarried she should not keep her title, nor should she keep her noble surname either. IMO.

rigsgreve sponneck 06-14-2010 12:50 PM

Thank you for the reply. So, to clarify, upon divorce she can retain the surname and title but beyond that, if she remarries to a lower rank there is no way (whether it be by double-barrell etc) she can retain the title/or surname?

Lumutqueen 06-14-2010 12:54 PM

I think she should lose the title, and I do not thinks she would have any reason to use the surname of her ex-husband when she has re-married.

rigsgreve sponneck 06-14-2010 04:36 PM

Many thanks for the information...if anybody else has any other information to add regarding this topic please do, it would be most appreciated.

Hereditary Thane 06-14-2010 10:01 PM

Nobiliary rules are not as strict as they once were; anyway why would a woman want to incorporate her divorced husband's surname (noble or not) when she remarries should be the question. There are some exceptions, I have known two countesses by marriage who's husbands requested that they keep their titles upon remarriage after widowhood. This follows a very ancient tradition.

rigsgreve sponneck 06-15-2010 12:30 AM

The reason is (and assuming the following is correct as I have heard conflicting answers), that if a married countess does retain (?) the title after divorce by keeping the surname, can it be carried on by anyway if she remarries (other than the old via 'permission' route).

Does she retain the title when divorced if she keeps the family name?
Assuming the above is yes, is it lost forever if she remarries?

Just need the modern view/rule as to clear conflicting information.

Thank you...

nwinther 02-15-2011 08:22 AM

Media Coverage of the Danish Royal Family

I'm starting this thread by suggestion from a post in another one, where some of us voiced our opinions on the way the media covers the DRF.

The point of the thread is to discuss media coverage or level/tastefulness thereof, when the DRF engages in "main events" (marriage, christening etc.)

Personally, I find media coverage - especially omnibus TV-coverage - of the DRF to be nauseating at best. Often, the DRF or members thereof will feature at the end of a news broadcast, where they've opened a new hospital, museum, bridge or something. A short clip of some official business.
But when an event revolving around the DRF reaches just mildly celebratory stages (marriages, births, christenings etc.) these omnibus channels reaches "critical mass". Latest it was the presentation of the twins where TV blew everything out of proportion (so, I guess we'll go from there).

Anyway - this is just a beginning post. If you want to read my most recent rant (and the cause of this thread) go here.

Viv 02-15-2011 06:12 PM

Most DRF posters are aware that Billed Bladet is the Danish royalty magazine; the non-Danish readers have Muhlers excellent translations
(:flowers:) to refer to.

Billed Bladet is rather loyal to the royal family and would normally never publish anything scrutinizing or critical. As long as I can remember, BB has been a sober weekly with decent journalists. However there was a change of editor-in-chief some years ago! Since then much of the royalty coverage has been reduced to sentimental nonsense! Headlines like:
* Crown Princess Mary/Princess Marie/CP Frederik 'touched' or 'moved to tears' are legion! Whether they actually are 'touched' or not :smile:! Apparently our royals cannot open a tin of sardines without being 'moved to tears" or without exchanging 'loving glances' or without 'beaming with love'. I'm pleased they're happy, but is it it really necessary to describe them in this manner? I'm sure that most of us can relate to the royal family without this touchy-feely stuff!
Then there's the press conferences with HM and the Consort. I think it is common knowledge by now that HM is not a good small-talker, but she tries her best. However she cringes every time she's being asked family questions as if she were any mrs. Smith from down the road with two kids and 7 grandchildren! She was never a mother hen and nor is she a granny hen. I'm sure she's fond of her grand children, but she loathes being perceived as your average 'nan'! When will the media learn?

For the sake of competition BB has joined the down-market magazines in the occasional display of speculation. The piece on the Greek wedding in Spetses was written before it took place! The inclusion of CP Mette-Marit in the festivities caught BB on the wrong foot! (Mette-Marit did not attend!).

Enough for now; there's more to come!
Good night!
Viv

nwinther 02-16-2011 03:45 AM

The most recent was the way Ekstra Bladet covered the (non-)story of the youngest princess (the twin) having been admitted to - and then discharged from - hospital.

They went "Breaking" on that "story".

And to boot, EB is a republican "paper" who loathes everything the monarchy is and stand for, not to mention the members of the royal house (going out of their way to demean any of the members). Ironic that they'd "break" over anything to do with the moncarchy lest it be a death.

Vultures!

Viv 02-19-2011 03:59 AM

The Ekstra Bladet Saturday supplement features an interview with CP Frederik, mainly on his interest in sport! IMO not an unwise move of the royal court to invite EB to the Palace. Letting a republican tabloid interview a crown prince also offers an interesting take not only on the interviewee, but also on the interviewer! It is as if the interviewer is constantly analyzing the situation in order not to become too absorbed by it. I don't know what this journalistic method is called but it's like looking at an endless row of mirror images :smile:.

Viv

HRH of Sweden 09-14-2011 02:04 PM

Duke and Duchess?

Hi! I was just wondering if there ever was a duke or duchess (royal or non-royal) of a county in Denmark?

Thank you :)

Muhler 09-14-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRH of Sweden (Post 1316288)
Hi! I was just wondering if there ever was a duke or duchess (royal or non-royal) of a county in Denmark?

Thank you :)

Yes and no.

The concept of duke has only existed in one area of the realm. Apart from that, the highest ranking aristrocrat had the title of count.

We go back 1.200 years. Back then the southern most provinces of Denmark, which were later to develope into Schleswig & Holstein, were the most vulnerable from invasions and attack from the south. as such permanent armies and permanently manned fortifications were placed in that border region.
As the Danish king was permanently travelling through a vast realm, it was necessary to have a person in charge in that region. That person was often a close relative of the king.
That military governor, because that was essentially what he was, was first given the title of Marsk = March, and towards the end of the Viking Age that title was changed to Jarl = Earl.
Now, the problem with having two rich provinces with a permanent standing army was that they eventually became more or less autonomous, depending on the political strenght of the kings. At the same time the provinces became more and more Germanized, partly due to German immigration and partly because they developed their own sense of nationality and culture, which over the centuries became more and more different from the Danes. And the two provinces had now developed into two lands, Schleswig & Holstein.
When the Middle Ages had ended the concept of having an autonomous military governor in an important part of the realm had become unacceptable and Denmark had now become strong enough to enforce the kings will on the two provinces. So a pragmatic solution was developed. The Danish king would automatically also be Hertug = Duke of Schleswig & Holstein and everyone was happy. The two duchies would be independent from the Kingdom of Denmark and the locals were not considered Danes.
That worked excellently for the next 400 years, until 1848, when Absolutism was abolished and Denmark was to become a democracy. The newly appointed politicians said: "Let's be practical and have a common Constitution for the entire realm, including Schleswig & Holstein. They do have a peculiar status, but de facto they had been a part of Denmark for 1.000 years (probably longer)".
"No way"! They yelled in the two provinces! "We are not Danes, we are not a part of Denmark and we want things to remain more or less like it has always been. We like the new Constitution, we just want one in German, which is basically identical but only applies to Schleswig & Holstein, no matter how impractical and silly it really is"!
Result: Rebellion, what is known as the First Schleswigan War. The rebels were defeated. but the bitterness remained the ancient bands to Denmark had been severed and that led to the Second Schleswigan War in 1864, where the two duchies became independent. Sort of, because by 1872 they found themselves being a part of a newly formed Germany.
To make it even more interesting the people in Schleswig & Holstein rebelled against the government of the Danish king, but they acknowledged and wanted to remain loyal to their duke, who happened to be the Danish king....

If you made it this far without eating a glass of aspirins, I hope this simplified account of the issue was helpful. :smile:

HRH of Sweden 09-15-2011 03:24 AM

Haha, no aspirin needed but thank you for your information! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1316385)
Yes and no.

The concept of duke has only existed in one area of the realm. Apart from that, the highest ranking aristrocrat had the title of count.

We go back 1.200 years. Back then the southern most provinces of Denmark, which were later to develope into Schleswig & Holstein, were the most vulnerable from invasions and attack from the south. as such permanent armies and permanently manned fortifications were placed in that border region.
As the Danish king was permanently travelling through a vast realm, it was necessary to have a person in charge in that region. That person was often a close relative of the king.
That military governor, because that was essentially what he was, was first given the title of Marsk = March, and towards the end of the Viking Age that title was changed to Jarl = Earl.
Now, the problem with having two rich provinces with a permanent standing army was that they eventually became more or less autonomous, depending on the political strenght of the kings. At the same time the provinces became more and more Germanized, partly due to German immigration and partly because they developed their own sense of nationality and culture, which over the centuries became more and more different from the Danes. And the two provinces had now developed into two lands, Schleswig & Holstein.
When the Middle Ages had ended the concept of having an autonomous military governor in an important part of the realm had become unacceptable and Denmark had now become strong enough to enforce the kings will on the two provinces. So a pragmatic solution was developed. The Danish king would automatically also be Hertug = Duke of Schleswig & Holstein and everyone was happy. The two duchies would be independent from the Kingdom of Denmark and the locals were not considered Danes.
That worked excellently for the next 400 years, until 1848, when Absolutism was abolished and Denmark was to become a democracy. The newly appointed politicians said: "Let's be practical and have a common Constitution for the entire realm, including Schleswig & Holstein. They do have a peculiar status, but de facto they had been a part of Denmark for 1.000 years (probably longer)".
"No way"! They yelled in the two provinces! "We are not Danes, we are not a part of Denmark and we want things to remain more or less like it has always been. We like the new Constitution, we just want one in German, which is basically identical but only applies to Schleswig & Holstein, no matter how impractical and silly it really is"!
Result: Rebellion, what is known as the First Schleswigan War. The rebels were defeated. but the bitterness remained the ancient bands to Denmark had been severed and that led to the Second Schleswigan War in 1864, where the two duchies became independent. Sort of, because by 1872 they found themselves being a part of a newly formed Germany.
To make it even more interesting the people in Schleswig & Holstein rebelled against the government of the Danish king, but they acknowledged and wanted to remain loyal to their duke, who happened to be the Danish king....

If you made it this far without eating a glass of aspirins, I hope this simplified account of the issue was helpful. :smile:

Muhler 11-08-2011 04:35 PM

Perhaps we should have a general DRF anecdote thread?

It's Christmas soon, so all sorts of biographies are being published, also one from Helle Stangerup, an author, who went to school with QMII and who has been friends with the DRF. She has until now maintained a strickt no talk policy.
She has now published an autobiography, where she mentions a few anecdotes about the DRF and these anecdotes are basically mentioned here in this article it appears: Dronningens veninde: Jeg faldt for prins Henrik først - Royale - BT.dk

Helle Stangerup was invited to a midsummer party ny Princess Margrethe's LiW, Wava Armfeldt. (*) Among the guests were, for unknown reasons, three foreign and unknown and unmarried gentlemen.
Stangerup checked them out:
- An English bankier, a bit dull, a handsome Swedish diplomat and an at least just as well turned out French diplomat.

To her it looked like an attempt from Wava Armfeldt to introduce Princess Margrethe to new faces, but there wasn't anything in the air as far as she could tell.

- The Englishman spend at lot of energy talking about finances and the gambling clubs in London (**) while both the Swede and Frenchman danced away on the dancefloor with everybody else but the guest of honor. "Actually I believe I was one of the favorites of the incredibly charming Frenchman, my French was by then still reasonable, perhaps that was the reason but afterwards it took a good deal of time to get him out of the head".
She sighs: "A few danced under the sparkling chandalier at Rosenfeldt (***) however never amounted to more, not even a postcard".

So when Ekstra Bladet wrote that Princess Margrethe had fallen in love with Count Henri de Laborde de Montezat, she didn't believe, until the engagement was announced by the court that same afternoon.

She determines dryly: "No wonder that postcard never came", and she concludes: "Private association with the DRF provides a wealth of experiences, but there is absolutely no inside knowledge going with that".

She recalls going to (high) school with the later QMII. Where the eir to the Throne was not afraid to stand up and say it when a pupil was treated unfairly, completely humilliation the principal in the process.
Both Princess Margrethe and Stangerup were bored stiff, during arithmetic and made paperclippings instead
Years later QMII said in a speech to Stangerup: "We felt very literate because we both had read Gone With the Wind".

She and QMII were taught Philosophy for a year at Fredensborg and the LiW, Wava pointed out to Stangerup: "Do not come one second late for a meal. Never put anything on the King's piano". There were two conversational tabus: Dogs and cardplay. (****)

Stangerup says about Frederik IX that he was an incredible warm person but also known for his violent temper.
There were usually servants around but sometimes the royals were able to improvise themselves out of a problem.

"At a minor occasion in the middle of a lancier, the zipper in the back of the Queen's (QMII) dress suddenly ripped open all the way down but no maid was summoned, nor was there a change of dress.
At Fredensborg there are darkblue tablecloths on the bridge tables and the Queen went straigt to the nearest, tore off the tablecloth, folded it into a triangular shawl and fastened the tips in front of her on the chest with her brooch. That covered the back and the dance could continue".

Alas, there were also problems and Stangerup had to choose when the DRF and Count Schack had a row.
Joachim was supposed to inherit Schackenborg Manor but the manor was in deep debt and pretty derelict too.
(Joachim and the DRF has used very considerable sums bringing that in order and Joachim is still working on renovating the manor. I believe the staircase is in bad shape).

You can read about the meeting between Count Henri and Princess Margrethe and how she fell helplessly in love here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1132604

(*) Who was very close to QMII and believe she died not that long ago.

(**) Them kind of topics can swoon any woman. :lol:

(***) A manor.

(****) It's wellknown that Queen Ingrid was not fond of cats and dogs.

Muhler 12-30-2011 06:55 PM

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #52, 2011.

Where a Clara B. Jensen asks whether a king or crown prince of Denmrak can be homosexual.

In his reply Jon Bloch Skipper states that he can.
There is nothing in the Law of Succession to hinder a homoseksual from being king.
However there is a problem in regards to any heirs. The Law of Succession, §5 says clearly that only children born within a legal marriage (*) can be in the line of succession.
A registered partnership is one step short of a marriage and the big question is whether the Parliament will sanction a registered partnership between the king/crown prince and another mand and there is also the question about what title such a partner will get.
Jon Bloch Skipper does not enter the question as to whether adopted children of a gay royal couple can be in the line of succession. Presumably not, since the wording of the law is very specific.

(*) Legal marriage refers to secret marriages that were not acknowledged or a marriage to the left hand.
Centuries ago it happened that a king married a woman to his left hand. The marriage to the queen was for political and dynastic purposes, the marriage to the left hand was for love.
It was really very pragmatic. Such a woman would not only be the king's official mistress but for all purposes also his official companion in life, just below his wife. That meant that the woman and her family, had an official status and that she would be acknowleged officially by everyone and that she would be treated like an official companion of the king and not as a kind of non-person. It also gave her protection. When the king died she was expected to retreat to a manor somewhere in the country and live there quietly in comfort for the rest of her life, without interfering in state affairs. In return she didn't have to fear being beheaded, thrown in jail, being deported or ending her life in poverty.
It also meant that any children would have the right to a title and an income. Aknowledged illegitemate children of King Christian IV for instance got the name Gyldenløve = Golden Lion and an income.
It meant a lot to the woman's family as well. More often than not she would come from a noble family and with the king marrying her to his left hand, she got a status that was befitting of her station in life.
This practise died out as the Lutheran faith got more and more control and old ways vanished. The Catholic church was actually much more tolerant and women in particular had more rights, rights that were in many ways reduced after the Reformation.
It was to prevent illegitemate children to make a claim for the throne that the detail about "born within a legal marriage" was included in the Law of Succession.

There is a third reference to legal marriages, which didn't involve royals however. From early christian times it was normal among the people to marry unofficially, without an official religious ceremony. That later on became a part of Old Danish Law, which stated very clearly that if a woman held the keys to a house for three years and was aknowledged and treated by her peers as the mistress of that house, then she and the man who owned the house would be considered husband and wife, with the same legal rights as if they were married - even if their husband/wife was still alive or had not been declared dead.
The Lutheran church ended that practise as well.
- Holding the keys to a house was a direct symbol of her status and all wives/sisters/matrons and so on would wear the keys visibly as a sign of her status. Even among ordinary families. It was also the wife who had the key to the money chest and not the husband. A husband might drink the money away, but a sensible mother and wife could be relied upon.

principessa 01-01-2012 07:40 AM

Is it only for me or has someone else here the problem to load the website of the DRF?

rsfc149 01-01-2012 08:24 AM

No, I tried to open it too today, but it didn't work...

principessa 02-23-2012 03:28 PM

Is there somewhere in internet a printable family tree of the current Danish Royal family available?

Thank you!

Charlotte_Aster 02-23-2012 03:37 PM

:previous: here you go, principessa:
Danish monarchs family tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Muhler 02-23-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by principessa (Post 1374673)
Is there somewhere in internet a printable family tree of the current Danish Royal family available?

Thank you!

Oh, yes. There is a lot of material.

Paste this text into Google: kongefamilien stamtræ
And there you go. :smile:

I've got a lousy connection right now, so it would takes ages for me to dig something up, alas. :sad:

IloveCP 03-02-2012 04:23 PM

Does anyone know who made the tradition of announcing the name of a new member at the baptisim? I personally don't like it! ;)

Artemisia 03-02-2012 04:30 PM

:previous:
The tradition derives from the belief that if the child's name is spoken before the child is given the holy protection, the child could be taken by the Devil.

principessa 05-20-2012 09:23 AM

How close are Frederik and Joachim to their Laborde de Monpezat cousins?

FasterB 05-31-2012 04:49 AM

The cars of the Danish Royal Family

A new car has been delivered to the Danish Royal Household yesterday :flowers:

It´s an electrical car from https://danmark.betterplace.com

And here´s photos of the new "Krone 20" :flowers::flowers::flowers:
Meet the new "Krone 20" :crown: Electrical car on crown plates

Madame Royale 05-31-2012 05:09 AM

Much prefer the Maserati Quattroporte favoured by Joachim. The Milenese leather upholstery is divine and the elegance of the body is for me superior to none amongst luxury cars. Not at all surprising when the vehicle's appearance is the brainchild of Pininfarina.

IloveCP 06-28-2012 01:39 AM

Does anyone know what Marie's parents and step parents careers are?

Muhler 06-28-2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveCP (Post 1436066)
Does anyone know what Marie's parents and step parents careers are?

Our Marie's father has now retired.

Her mother still runs a restaurant or similar establishment.

And I believe her stepfather is working.

Muhler 08-02-2012 10:17 AM

As I so often write summaries and translations from Billed Bladet, I find it appropriate to post this here as an illustration on how the magazine view it's connection with the DRF.

Translation of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #31, 2012.
Where a Birgitte Eriksen asks:
Do all members of the DRF get BB when it's published? Does the DRF approve the articles in the magazine? How is the relationship between the magazine and the DRF?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies:
The DRF recieve Billed Bladet every week (*) and we know that by far most members of the royal family reads the magazine. That also applies to Princess Benedikte and her family in Berleburg.
Billed Bladet certainly has no special status at the court, in regards to other medieas with whom we work on equal footing.
But we have a good and trusting relationship with the DRF, with a fine and mutual respect for eachothers occupations and tasks.
On a day to day basis the DRF does not get articles or quotes for approvement, but is there a special occasion, a major interview or a special deal, where a reading of the text is the premise and wished for, before we print, we always work that out in good order. It is that, that signifies our relationship with eachother.

(*) That is hardly surprising. I would imagine that the DRF-administration as well as the various courts within the DRF, i.e, QMII, Frederik and Joachim, recieve a wide assortment of weekly magazines and daily newspapers. And in that respect it's no different from say a ministry.

ashelen 08-11-2012 12:40 AM

I am not sure if i should post this here but moderatorscan changeit
The roayl family is in London at the dannebrog, i was wondering if is any photo about it the inside of the ship rooms, etc...., whre can i find details about it?

FasterB 08-11-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterB (Post 1422519)
A new car has been delivered to the Danish Royal Household yesterday :flowers:

It´s an electrical car from https://danmark.betterplace.com

And here´s photos of the new "Krone 20" :flowers::flowers::flowers:
Meet the new "Krone 20" :crown: Electrical car on crown plates

Here´s the new link: https://danmark.betterplace.com/om-better-place/presse/elbil-pa-kroneplader

Muhler 09-06-2012 06:26 AM

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #36, 2012.
Where a Bodil Christensen asks when PET began to protect the DRF.

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that it started in the 80's, and the first to be issued permanent bodyguards where Frederik and Joachim. (For fear of kidnap attempts).
Soon after the Regent Couple also got bodyguards and today most members of the DRF have permanent bodyguards from PET. (And in really dangerous areas FET agents).

Doc_Holliday 02-20-2013 04:46 PM

Dannebrog order

2 Attachment(s)
Hi

Can anyone help me with info on this Dannebrog order? The hight is 80 mm and the widt is 64 mm. What is it worth?

If this is the wrong place to make such thread were should it be placed then?

Thanks

Doc

principessa 05-14-2013 03:03 PM

I have a question referring to the royal anthem of Denmark. The melody of it is in my ears similar to another historic royal song. Do any other members thinking the same as I? And what is the other royal song?

Here is the royal anthem:

Kong Christian stod ved højen mast - YouTube

FasterB 05-14-2013 05:37 PM

Could it be "Het Wilhelmus"?

Wilhelmus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RichardNI 06-28-2013 11:58 AM

Queen Margrethe II and Family in Portrait

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so excuse any faux pas.

I'm after a picture of HM The Queen Margrethe II of Denmark that I have in a booklet published by the Royal Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Although rather old, it is published in 1997 and was sent to me by the Danish Embassy to the United Kingdom upon enquiries.

I am especially after an internet-uploaded version of the Royal Family portrait which, I gather, is c. 1987-88, but which features in the booklet.

In in, The Queen is seated and, in backdrop, CP Frederik, Prince Henrik, and Prince Joachim stand behind her. All are in ceremonial dress.

I would like to present this is as birthday present, so all help will be gladly welcomed. :P

Muhler 06-28-2013 02:07 PM

They have such photos made very often, so it's difficult to even know what to look for.

My suggestion is that you write the court and ask for details about the picture, i.e. photographer and who has copyrights. Then contact the photographer or make a search based on these details. - If you are very lucky the court may even send you a copy.

Muhler 07-16-2013 05:13 PM

Cars and transportation for the Danish Royal Family.

Inspired by a Q&A in BB, I thought I'd open this thread about the means of transport used by the DRF.
This list is not complete but I hope others will join in and add more vehicles of all sorts.

The official cars used by the DRF are popularly known as "crown-cars" because of a crown on the numberplates: https://www.colourbox.dk/preview/2902912-595922-.jpg

The grandest car is known as "Big crown". It's Rolls Royce Silver-Wraith: https://www.seoghoer.dk/~/media/Se%20...ne1%20jpg.ashx

The next in line is Krone 1. A Diamler Limousine from 1992: https://www.hjv.dk/HHV/TRFS/HD%20SYD%...yalt/krone.jpg

Followed by Krone 2. A Diamler Limousine from 1986:

Krone 3 is a Buick Centurion convertible, used by Prince Henrik as a favorite summer-car. https://img.borsen.dk/img/cms/tuksi4/...ri_553_360.jpg

Krone 5, a Diamler Limousine from 1979.

Krone 121, a Bentley Mulsanne, is used by QMII on a daily basis: https://img.borsen.dk/img/cms/tuksi4/...ure_9785_1.jpg

Krone 101, an Audi A4, is used by Prince Henrik: https://www.6q.dk/images/Krone_101_-_V0.jpg

Krone 462, a Bentley, was used by Frederik IX and is now on museum.

Krone 7, Volvo S80 https://www.6q.dk/images/Krone_7ae30ae09ae2004.jpg
and Krone 8, Audi A8 https://www.6q.dk/images/2011-09-21-krone_8_004.JPG - are used by M&F as their official cars.

Apart from that there are:
Krone 9 &10, which are both Audi A8.

Krone 11, Volvo S80.

Krone 12, Volvo S80 V8.

Krone 15, Mercedes Viano - minibus.

Krone 16, VW Multivan - minibus.

Krone 17, VW Caravelle - minibus.

Krone 18. VW Polo Blue Motion, - a utillity car.

Krone 34, Crafter 34, a truck.

Krone 35, Volvo - for transporting horses.

Then there are the private cars used by the DRF, but that I'll leave to someone else.

Another popular mode of transportation for the DRF, is the Nihola bike: https://rollingorangebikes.com/wp-con...ar-family.jpeg
Used by both M&F but also Joachim and our Marie at both Amalienborg and Schackenborg.

Sometimes they, mostly the Regent Couple, use the royal salon-car. Which is simply attached to a regular train. From outside: https://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe/...og-pa-mors.img
Inside: https://multimedia.ekstrabladet.dk/ar...vo_535920m.jpg

The DRF does not have a specific plane, but for shorter flights in Greenland and in Europe they fly onboard an air force Challenger: https://forsvaret.dk/FTK/Nyt%20og%20P...604iluften.jpg

And for flights inside DK, they often hitch a ride onboard one of the large EH101 helicopters: https://multimedia.pol.dk/archive/005...ER_540647a.jpg

It has happened that M&F have hitced a ride on a fast Fennec helicopter: https://b.bimg.dk/node-images/47/4/62...ndet-kvind.jpg

In Greenland and the Faroe Islands the reliable old Lynx are used: https://forsvaret.dk/FTK/opgaver/Int%..._028_tryk1.jpg

polyesco 07-16-2013 05:23 PM

:previous:thank you Muhler as always for the wonderful insights into the DRF and the pictures :flowers::flowers:

FasterB 07-17-2013 02:26 PM

Muhler, you can add Krone 20 - Renault Fluence Z.E to the lot :) The DRF still has the car and charge at Amalienborg and Fredensborg :)

Muhler 07-17-2013 03:44 PM

Thank you, FasterB :flowers:

And here is a pic of the wonder, Krone 20: https://www.6q.dk/images/Krone_20_2012-06.jpg

COESpiral 08-08-2013 12:36 AM

Why are so many Danish Kings named Frederick or Christian?

I may have this in the wrong thread, but it sort of falls under the historical umbrella. Why are the kings of Denmark almost always named Frederick or Christian? Were they names that were so popular they had to be repeated or is there some Danish tradition that requires it?

Ish 08-08-2013 12:49 AM

I think it's just a tradition. With two exceptions every Danish monarch since the first Oldenburg monarch has either been a Christian or a Frederick, alternating between the two.

The two exceptions are John/Hans (who reigned in between Christian I and Christian II, taking the place of a Frederick), and the current Margrethe, who's reigning in between her father, Frederick IX, and her son (who will likely be Frederick X).

PrincessKaimi 08-08-2013 01:08 AM

There's a good deal of research about preference for sound sequences within cultures (which may be both hereditary and a set of cultural switches).

It's also likely that some groups are more traditional than others. Royal lines in general tend to turn up some of the same names; perhaps Denmark is especially fond of a smaller set (for various reasons, including some preferences for sound sequences).

Christian, of course, is sort of heavy-laden with meaning as well.

BritishRoyalist 08-22-2013 06:21 PM

What happen to my post from earlier? I asked if there was a Good Website about the history of The Danish Monarch/Royal Family with List of monarchs, Family tree, Bios, etc. where I could learn more about the Danish and the history of it Royal Family more in depth. I just log on and now it Gone.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the question and I couldn't find the question anywhere else.

Anyway is there a website beside the official Danish Monarchy Website where I could learn more about the Danish Royal Family and the Danish Monarchy?

JessRulz 08-22-2013 09:48 PM

:previous:

Many links to different websites can be found in this thread:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...nks-12833.html

Loyalist 09-22-2013 01:33 AM

Im mot sure if this is the correct forum but I was wondering... I heard the Queen was made to stop smoking in public. Was this her choice or was it made for her?

fifiona 09-28-2013 11:47 AM

DRF and Royal Copenhagen Porcelain

I know that the DRF use Royal Copenhagen porcelain, and that Fred and Mary have been featured on their webpage for formal and informal porcelain. Does anyone know what other royal families use formally and informally for their dinner services, cutlery and glassware?

nwinther 09-28-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loyalist (Post 1602121)
Im mot sure if this is the correct forum but I was wondering... I heard the Queen was made to stop smoking in public. Was this her choice or was it made for her?

It was her choice.

The idea that anyone, save perhaps Henrik, dare "tell" Margrethe anything is laughable. She's too experienced to be bossed around.

The no-smoking craze in Denmark is seemingly taking a lull at the moment.

Loyalist 09-28-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwinther (Post 1603962)

It was her choice.

The idea that anyone, save perhaps Henrik, dare "tell" Margrethe anything is laughable. She's too experienced to be bossed around.

The no-smoking craze in Denmark is seemingly taking a lull at the moment.

Hmmm. I see. Well I'm glad she still retains some personal authority. However, I wouldn't say its laughable considering many monarchs have jad their arms twisted behind closed doors.

nwinther 09-29-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loyalist (Post 1604018)
I wouldn't say its laughable considering many monarchs have jad their arms twisted behind closed doors.

Yes, that's disgraceful IMO.

But in Denmark, the monarchy is (as you know) more popular than ever - and has been for some time.

15 years ago or so, a newspaper "revealed" that former PM Poul Nyrup Rasmussen had edited Margrethe's New Year speech. The critizism was massive and widespread, that PNR dared edit the queen's speech.

The reality was, that the PM's ministry writes the entire speech (with Margrethe or the court delivering some pointers they'd like to touch upon) and as such always "edits" the speech and has done for decades. So the critizism was sort of unfair.

My point is, that the Danes don't like politicans to tell anyone - and especially not her Majesty - what to do or say. It would require a politican of Bismarckian magnitude to make Margrethe do anything these days. And outright "telling" her to do anything would never succeed.

The only PM who'd theoretically be able to "suggest" something to the queen, would be former PM Anders Fogh Rasmussen (current head of NATO), and he was a pragmatist if anyone was (Realpolitkk).

Nora80b 10-11-2013 01:31 PM

Regarding my prev post about online sources of TR DVDs, if this not the right thread to post, where I can post such Q's? :)

Thank you

Muhler 11-14-2013 09:23 AM

Some months back I happened to be present when a company was visited by the Regent Couple.
QMII and PH arrived in seperate cars and I happened to be chatting with the driver of QMII whom I had served with in Croatia and hadn't seen for years.

He was still in the army and he told me a few details about what goes on behind the scenes.
The DRF drivers are detached from the military and chosen preferably among thoe who are mature and who have served abroad. They undergo the usual screening process by PET and FET, then serve for a given period before returing to regular duty again, akin like the adjutants.
They get regular pay while serving the DRF, with the usual extra for overtime and being away from home.

In this case he the drove the car labelled Krone 1, https://aalborgstift.dk/assets/artikl...ronningen6.jpg which is the second grandest in the fleet of cars.
He described it as driving a "rocking chair" as the car has a tendency to rock and in fact PH don't like driving in it. It's also prone to being affected by wind from the side.
Apart from that the car is a petrol guzzler! Some five or six kilometres a litre is considered good! As such it needs a regular refill and so he drive into a gasstation, complete with say QMII in the backseat and PET trailing behind. Fill it with gas and then go in to pay like any other costumer. However, as he is in a drivers uniform and wear medals and all, he has rarely had to wait in line...

There is however plenty to do, while staying at places like Marseliborg. The car needs checking and endless polishing. And he also checked PH's Puc Maxi moped while there. PH often skip the car when visiting Aarhus and instead go by moped. A somewhat more modest mode of transportation. Here in the usual standard Danish configuration with a nicked milk box on the back: https://images.wikia.com/da.uncyclope.../Puch-maxi.jpg

It was fun to meet an old mate like this but I promised to wait about telling this until he has returned back to regular duty.

marfre 02-16-2014 03:03 AM

Not sure if this is the correct thread but I hope one of our Danish friends can help with this.

What happens in the future with the many royal children in the family, I assume when Frederik's children marry their spouses will be prince/princess and will attend the New Year event?
Will Joachim's children be given another title when they reach 18 and be styled perhaps Count/Countess? Nikolai will be 18 in three years time, will he then attend the New Year event and receive an apanage? If so that would mean all the children would be the same and therefore in 15/16 years time when the younger children can attend, the older royals are still going strong and maybe a marriage there could be 15/16 members attending rather a large group I think.

Will all of Frederik's children receive an apanage? If not I guess that means Joachim's will not receive any. I cannot see Denmark being able to support all. Joachim does receive one would he continue to receive his for the rest of his life?

Sorry about the many questions and that it's a little messy. Thanks in advance.

Muhler 02-16-2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marfre (Post 1641487)
Not sure if this is the correct thread but I hope one of our Danish friends can help with this.

What happens in the future with the many royal children in the family, I assume when Frederik's children marry their spouses will be prince/princess and will attend the New Year event?
Will Joachim's children be given another title when they reach 18 and be styled perhaps Count/Countess? Nikolai will be 18 in three years time, will he then attend the New Year event and receive an appendage? If so that would mean all the children would be the same and therefore in 15/16 years time when the younger children can attend, the older royals are still going strong and maybe a marriage there could be 15/16 members attending rather a large group I think.

Will all of Frederik's children receive an appendage? If not I guess that means Joachim's will not receive any. I cannot see Denmark being able to support all. Joachim does receive one would he continue to receive his for the rest of his life?

Sorry about the many questions and that it's a little messy. Thanks in advance.

A lot of relevant questions, I think.

And my bid will be just as good as as anyone elses.
It will basically be up to the monarch and the Parliament.

I believe Joachim will continue to recieve his apanage as he no doubt will continue to do public work. And also because a substitute is needed in case Frederik or for that matter Mary becomes ill. Experience matters.
I also believe M&F's children will recieve an apanage starting in ten years time in the case of Christian. As children of the CP (or more likely the king) they are almost expected to take part in the royal duties.

The more open question will be Joachim's children. One of them is likely to take over Schackenborg, which means he or she will need an education within agriculture, presumably starting out by being Joachim's right hand.
The others, well, unless they for some reason have a talent for public duties or have a big wish for public duties I believe they will be destined to have a career of their own.
I cannot believe they will stripped of their titles and demoted to counts, even though the monarch (can and indeed) has done it before.
Should that happen I think it would be likely to occour in connection with a marriage.
But their children will likely be made counts/countesses at least of Montpezat, perhaps one more title.
Unless of course they voluntarily wish to relinquish their royal title. Which may be a more practical solution, especially if they are to pursue a career in private commerce.
As for apanage for Joachim's children, I think it will be something akin to an expence account in connection with their royal duties.

It is IMO certain that Nikolai will presented with the Order of the Elephant. It is also certain, I think, that he initially will take part in the New Year Courts. Whether he will continue to do so, remains to be seen.
It is entirely up to the monarch, whether any spouses of Joachim's children will get a title of prince/princess.

Also, with eight children, statistically speaking at least one of them will at some point do something monumentally stupid. Like doing drugs, DUI, stripping in public and so on. There will be plenty of drama ahead. ;)
We must also expect that one or perhaps two of M&F's children will do a Madeleine. I.e. marry a foreigner and basically withdraw from public duties and settle abroad.
That in combination with the fact that this may also apply to Joachim's children, some of which on top of that may also have careers abroad, the DRF events may not be that crowded after all in 25 years from now.

marfre 02-16-2014 06:30 AM

Thanks Muhler for the information.

I have a couple of further questions, thanks.

Will all the children receive the Order of the Elephant? If so will they receive it on their 18th or will only Christian receive it at 18? Do you have to hold the Order to attend the NY Courts.

Do you think all of Frederik's children will do royal duties when they are old enough? Full time or part time.
If they do fulltime with Frederik and Mary, Joachim and Marie that is eight. I guess Christian will join the Navy/Army and may not be around most of the time.
Sorry, but I find this interesting.

Muhler 02-16-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marfre (Post 1641515)
Will all the children receive the Order of the Elephant? If so will they receive it on their 18th or will only Christian receive it at 18? Do you have to hold the Order to attend the NY Courts.

The answer to the first question must be yes. Traditionally all members of the DRF recieve the Order of the Elephant.
They do not have to attend the New Year Courts, they are entitled to do so, if they wish, even if they are no longer active royals or alternatively have been made counts/esses. As holder of the Order of the Elephant they are automatically entitled to attend the grandest of the New Year Courts as well as the court for the various classes of rank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marfre (Post 1641515)
Do you think all of Frederik's children will do royal duties when they are old enough? Full time or part time.
If they do fulltime with Frederik and Mary, Joachim and Marie that is eight. I guess Christian will join the Navy/Army and may not be around most of the time.
Sorry, but I find this interesting.

Yes, this is indeed interesting.
Actually I don't think so. As I said in my previous post I think it's very likely at least one of them will do like Madeleine. Retain the royal title but settle abroad and only occasionally attend a royal event. I.e. being a non-working member of the DRF.

I think Christian will indeed take up a military career in all three branches and no doubt go the university as well to, like Frederik, get a more in depth understanding of how the society works. - I think royal educations in the future will be much more comprehensive than today. Not only with political science but also an understanding of how the media works, rhetoric and so on.
It would be very useful if one of the eight would get an education as a journalist.

Traditionally, at least the males within the DRF have all joined the military. We can almost be certain that Nikolai will be a volunteer conscript. Whether he will continue a career as an officer from there, remains to be seen.
But the girls may also join the military, or indeed become a professional within the Civil Defence, or become an active member of the Home Guard. Even a volunteer firefighter. (More likely with J&M's children).
I think we can expect all eight children, in one way or another, to do service within the total defence.

Christian is bound to join the military, but for the rest of M&F's children, as well as the two youngest of Joachim's children, it's more open. Because I don't think there will be conscription in ten-fifteen years from now.
As it is now, conscription is basically a trial period for those who contemplate a career within the military or who wish to serve abroad. It's more for recruitment than for practical use. (One exemption from that are the all-volunteer conscripts onboard Dannebrog).

ADDED: I find it more than likely that M&F's children will work and study for at least a year in Australia.
Certainly Athena and bette Henrik may very well study in France or Switzerland.

marfre 02-16-2014 07:41 AM

Thanks once again Muhler.

Say we skip forward 16/17 years Athena will be 18, the twins 19 and Isabella will only be 23. If Isabella is in Denmark at this time, the younger ones including Henrik are still at school/university is it possible that they would all attend the NY Event? What a entrance that would be especially if we add Christian in as well.

I love to see the children study/ work in Australia maybe even one of Joachim's he spent a little bit of time also.

Muhler 02-16-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marfre (Post 1641531)
Thanks once again Muhler.

Say we skip forward 16/17 years Athena will be 18, the twins 19 and Isabella will only be 23. If Isabella is in Denmark at this time, the younger ones including Henrik are still at school/university is it possible that they would all attend the NY Event? What a entrance that would be especially if we add Christian in as well.

I love to see the children study/ work in Australia maybe even one of Joachim's he spent a little bit of time also.

It will be a feast for the photographers and royal watchers! :biggrin:

It will almost be a procession.

To make it practical I can imagine king Frederik, queen Mary, as well as Joachim and our Marie will arrive in usual style, probably with Christian too arriving on his own.
But at that age and to make it more manageble I think Bella and the twins will arrive as a group.
So will Joachim's children I guess. (Athena will no doubt reduce her brothers to props).

As for the greeting of the guests, it will be a spectacle akin to the von Trapp family!
Can you see it? M&F first, followed by their four children, then J&M and another four young people.

We can also imagine that Nikolai and Felix will study or work in Hong Kong.
Why I'm almost certain that Athena and bette Henrik will go to France or Switzerland is because they are after all some three-quarters French.

crown 02-16-2014 08:48 AM

Mayby Mary calls him Pingo when there are alone. When he was in 'Frømandskorpset' (Danish equivalent of The Navy Seals) Frederik's call name was Pingo.

marfre 02-17-2014 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1641537)
It will be a feast for the photographers and royal watchers! :biggrin:

It will almost be a procession.

To make it practical I can imagine king Frederik, queen Mary, as well as Joachim and our Marie will arrive in usual style, probably with Christian too arriving on his own.
But at that age and to make it more manageble I think Bella and the twins will arrive as a group.
So will Joachim's children I guess. (Athena will no doubt reduce her brothers to props).

As for the greeting of the guests, it will be a spectacle akin to the von Trapp family!
Can you see it? M&F first, followed by their four children, then J&M and another four young people.

We can also imagine that Nikolai and Felix will study or work in Hong Kong.
Why I'm almost certain that Athena and bette Henrik will go to France or Switzerland is because they are after all some three-quarters French.

Hi Muhler, It would be wonderful to see all the young royals together at least once at the NY Court however I don't think it is something that will happen.

Thanks for making this a little clearer for me.

Muhler 02-20-2014 10:50 AM

:previous: My pleasure, Marfre :smile:

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #8, 2014.

Where a Bent Holm would like to know whether the DRF have a special passport.

Jon Bloch Skipper explains that they don't anymore, not since 1982.
Instead they have a standard diplomatic, beetroot-colored passport like this: https://app.box.com/s/gs6phenw0723825554x2
Which simply says diplomatic passport on the front.

It's the Foreign Ministry which issue the passports to the DRF.

Marty91charmed 02-25-2014 08:48 AM

Probably this is a silly question but I made a search on internet and I can't find a thorough reply: Does the lutheran church allow a marriage after a divorce? Because P: Joachim married twice in church and I?ve never understand why.
Thank you

crown 02-25-2014 09:15 AM

Not a silly question at all. The people's church of Denmark allows does indeed allow divorcees to remarry. It also allows same sex marriages but each vicar has the option to refuse to perform such a marriage.

Marty91charmed 02-25-2014 09:24 AM

Thank you very much! :-) and did the couple had only a religious ceremony or a civil too?

crown 02-25-2014 09:40 AM

They only had the religious ceremony. In Denmark that is considered sufficient.