The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke of York, Sarah Duchess of York, and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f113/)
-   -   A Wife for Prince Andrew, Duke of York (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f113/a-wife-for-prince-andrew-duke-of-york-11815.html)

Suonymona 02-25-2007 07:49 AM

If Andrew were to marry someone other than Sarah, would he have children with her? A son would certainly move things around. Wouldn't he become fifth in line---Charles, William, Harry, Andrew, a son of Andrew?

Or will he not marry (again) at all because he would not want to subject another woman to the House of Windsor (-Montbatten)?

yvr girl 02-25-2007 08:15 AM

If Andrew married, and had a son, the line of succession would change as you said. Whether or not he'd have children would depend upon who he married. If his future wife is close to his age, they most likely wouldn't have kids.

I think the House of Windsor has changed. I believe they've learned a few things since the days of Diana and Fergie. Sophie seems to be doing quite well and is accepted by the family.

Penny Lane 02-26-2007 01:46 AM

I think if Sarah and Andrew were going to remarry they would have done so by know back when their daughter's were quite young now that the girls have reached a certain age I think Sarah and Andrew move on.As for having other children he's unlikely to inherit the throne so I don't think it makes much difference if he has more kids are not.

Sereta 03-01-2007 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysbel
She's only gotten this attention in the last year that her daughters are growing up and that is quite natural. Other celebrities also get a wave of extra attention when their daughters hit the teenage years. Even with all the publicity surrounding her this year, she hasn't made the headlines of the major news outlets.

That's not true. She's always done things for press (making statements to the press, doing talk show circuits, posing for cameras, etc) Sure, she can get her picture taken even more now that her daughters have come of age and the "no photo" ban is off. And she takes full advantage of it. That's probably why she drags them everywhere with her.:rolleyes: Whether or not she succeeds in making headlines in major news is irrelevent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by ysbel
I say she is not seeking attention because some of her statements have tremendously backfired on her.

Just making statements in itself is attention seeking.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by ysbel
Sarah looks like she doesn't have a clue. She continuously seems like someone who doesn't think before they act.

Just because she's tacky and doesn't use good judgement doesn't make her any less attention seeking.

And to keep this post on topic for this thread I thought of another single lady for Andrew. What about Heather Locklear? I think she'd be perfect for him. She's newly single, beautiful, seems intelligent, doesn't blab to the press, seems to conduct herself in a classy way and I think she's about the same age as Andrew. Now if we can just get her to move to England. ;) :biggrin:

yvr girl 03-01-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereta
And to keep this post on topic for this thread I thought of another single lady for Andrew. What about Heather Locklear? I think she'd be perfect for him. She's newly single, beautiful, seems intelligent, doesn't blab to the press, seems to conduct herself in a classy way and I think she's about the same age as Andrew. Now if we can just get her to move to England. ;) :biggrin:

That WON'T work. I have designs on him myself. ;)

Skydragon 03-01-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvr girl
That WON'T work. I have designs on him myself. ;)

You will have to get in line, I believe ysbel has already put her name down! :flowers:

SASSY 04-08-2007 10:19 PM

So if Andrew married someone else, what would her official title be and would she have any duties?


I think time will tell regarding he Andrew/Sarah thing. When their daughters are off at college and they're still sharing a house etc. then we'll know they're still together. I think Sarah loves Andrew...but she's not in love with him.
I really hope he can find someone else and move on.

Iluvbertie 04-09-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SASSY
So if Andrew married someone else, what would her official title be and would she have any duties?

Her official title would be HRH The Duchess of York. Her duties would be those of the wife of the second son of the monarch - similar to those of the wives of the other sons of the monarch.

lady_windsor 04-09-2007 02:54 PM

Ok...somebody has probably answered this before, but if andrew remarries what will happen to Sarahs Title? Do they both remain duchess of york (sarah and his new wife)?
Also...if Sarah and Andrew remarried, do you think the queen will give them another title..such as earl and countess of.....?(i heard the queen gives titles upon marriage-i dont know if its true)

morhange 04-09-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady_windsor
Ok...somebody has probably answered this before, but if andrew remarries what will happen to Sarahs Title? Do they both remain duchess of york (sarah and his new wife)?
Also...if Sarah and Andrew remarried, do you think the queen will give them another title..such as earl and countess of.....?(i heard the queen gives titles upon marriage-i dont know if its true)


Other than the Prince of Wales, I think younger sons only get titles upon their first marriage, like Andrew and Edward both got their titles shortly before their marriages, and so did George V's sons when they were married, I think. Andrew won't get a Earldom because he sort of already has one in the form of the courtesey title for the Duke of York, as the Earl of Inverness.

selrahc4 04-09-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morhange
Andrew won't get a Earldom because he sort of already has one in the form of the courtesey title for the Duke of York, as the Earl of Inverness.

There is no "sort of" about it. He holds the earldom in his own right, as well as a barony. It's not a courtesy title in respect to Andrew. If he had a son, then the son would be known as Earl of Inverness as a courtesy title.

Stefan 04-09-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady_windsor
Ok...somebody has probably answered this before, but if andrew remarries what will happen to Sarahs Title? Do they both remain duchess of york (sarah and his new wife)?
Also...if Sarah and Andrew remarried, do you think the queen will give them another title..such as earl and countess of.....?(i heard the queen gives titles upon marriage-i dont know if its true)

Sarah has no title since her divorce. It is part of her name ans she is now Sarah, Duchess of York.

Stefan 04-09-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selrahc4
There is no "sort of" about it. He holds the earldom in his own right, as well as a barony. It's not a courtesy title in respect to Andrew. If he had a son, then the son would be known as Earl of Inverness as a courtesy title.

A son would be HRH Prince ... of York according to the Letters Patent of 1917. Only if they would follow the decision of Edward and Sophie a son would be styled as Earl of Inverness.

selrahc4 04-09-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan
A son would be HRH Prince ... of York according to the Letters Patent of 1917. Only if they would follow the decision of Edward and Sophie a son would be styled as Earl of Inverness.

Absolutely true. Thanks. I went a step too far in trying to emphasize that the title was truly Andrew's and not a courtesy.

SASSY 04-09-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissy57
Her official title would be HRH The Duchess of York. Her duties would be those of the wife of the second son of the monarch - similar to those of the wives of the other sons of the monarch.


Not to beat the question to death, but if P. Andrew remarried wouldn't his new wifes' title be : (for example) HRH Princesss Sonia of England, Duchess of York..etc (does anyone know what his full title is?).
OR HRH Princess ANDREW, Duchess of York..etc.

Iluvbertie 04-10-2007 01:50 AM

My understanding is that the correct title would be HRH The Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baroness Killyleagh - just as Camilla is now HRH The Duchess of Cornwall etc - not The Princess Charles, The Duchess of Cornwall.

Wikipedia does say that Sarah's correct title throughout her marriage was The Princess Andrew, The Duchess of York, Countess of Inverness and Baronesss Killyleagh - without the HRH but they also have her listed as HRH The Duchess of York (without the Princess Andrew part). In other words they have conflicting information in the same section of the site - one in the list of her titles which says HRH The Duchess of York but then in a sentence under that list where they say that she was The Princess Andrew, Duchess of York (without the HRH). Today she is simply Sarah, Duchess of York with the 'Duchess or York' really being like a surname although not actually a surname.

Crystal 04-10-2007 11:27 AM

This discussion could have been based on future marriage to a commoner or a princess. What will be the title of the brtish monarch to his new wife if he marries to a Queen who will not be that much interest into such title? so, that he will only have to attach new title with his Queen, and Sarah can still keep the way it is. Will it stop all the complicated discussion here? If so, pardon me..:) <of course, not a courtesy pardon> :)

Iluvbertie 04-10-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystal
This discussion could have been based on future marriage to a commoner or a princess.


If Andrew marries a person with the title of Princess in their right then she would remain Princess 'her own name' and add the titles Duke of York, Earl of Inverness, Baronessn Killyleagh. If she is a commoner then she becomes Princess Andrew. Nothing complicated with that.

Quote:

What will be the title of the brtish monarch to his new wife if he marries to a Queen who will not be that much interest into such title?
The title of the British monarch can't change = she would remain the Queen.

If Andrew married a Queen in her own right then he would remain Duke of York and said Queen would add that title to her own but would probably never use them - in the same way that the present Queen is the Duchess of Edinburgh (as that title is held by her husband she is the Duchess but hasn't used it since succeeding to the throne in 1952).

Quote:

so, that he will only have to attach new title with his Queen, and Sarah can still keep the way it is.

Sarah's name will only change when she marries and has nothing to do whatsoever with Andrew remarrying. He could remarry and divorce 10 times and have numerous ex-wives roaming around as xxxx, Duchess of York. This happens - there are instances within the British peerage of multiple ex-wives. e.g. Earl Spencer has two ex-wives (I think the first wife has remarried) but if she hasn't then there are two women whose names are xxx, Countess Spencer and when he remarries that won't change - they, if not remarried remain that way and he could have another wife with the title The Countess Spencer.

Quote:

Will it stop all the complicated discussion here? If so, pardon me..:) <of course, not a courtesy pardon> :)
No as you have added in new complications to this discussion - that is what happens to discussions - someone throws in a new wrinkle and new conversations occur.

PS Welcome to the board and I hope that you enjoy your time with us, contribute to the discussions and throw new wrinkles in at times as well as they are fun.

Crystal 04-10-2007 09:42 PM

That was not a new complication threw in or added. Just as a new innovative or a practically possible fact to complete the discussion, probably. :rolleyes:

Because no one seems having a thought about possibility of he could marry to a Queen naturally as Queens are also in female category (although could be in male line on throne) who can marry to an unmarried male at their own right if in love by both side. Right? :rofl:

Iluvbertie 04-10-2007 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystal
That was not a new complication threw in or added. Just as a new innovative or a practically possible fact to complete the discussion, probably. :rolleyes:

You mentioned the complication of the thread and then added in a new possibility. That simply makes the possible permutations more complictated than those that we were dealing with. It added a new dimension certainly but was also a new complication.

I suspect that English isn't your first language and therefore the use of words like complication, dimension, innovation etc may be words where the nuances and differences in meaning aren't as clear to you.

Basically - we had a conversation going - you added to it with a new idea and therefore added a new complication to the scenario of Andrew and a new wife.

Quote:

Because no one seems having a thought about possibility of he could marry to a Queen

No one had considered that true - probably because no one could actually think of an eligible queen for him to marry - all the queen's that I can think of are currently married.

Do you know of a Queen who isn't currently married who could be eligible for Andrew?

Quote:

naturally as Queens are also in female category (although could be in male line on throne) who can marry to an unmarried male at their own right if in love by both side. Right? :rofl:
Yes a Queen could marry an unmarried male who is in line to another throne however the precedent set by Prince Philip is that the prince in line to the other throne would probably have to give up his own claim.

The best example of this sort of thing would be if Prince Harry were to marry Princess Victoria of Sweden - would Harry have to renounce his claim to the British throne - or vice versa - if Princess Madelaine married Prince William.

Personally I doubt if the British royals will marry a royal from a ruling house for the simple reason that they don't seem to mix all that much with them any more.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises