The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Engagement of Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz: November 1, 2003 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/engagement-of-prince-felipe-and-letizia-ortiz-november-1-2003-a-1161.html)

Lia 10-31-2003 09:54 PM

Engagement of Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz: November 1, 2003

Is this trrue :( ????? I have seen this topic in many message boards and a Spanish reporter mentions that the palace plans to make an official announcement of the engagement :cry: Also the wedding would be spring 2004. The girl is 27, spanish, not royal but known family. Ofcource the reporter that said the news has also mentioned another affair of the Prince that it was not true. What do you all say about this?Is it real?Or just a wish of the spanish people to see their Prince married soon? :heart:

Zoe 11-01-2003 12:13 AM

https://www.elperiodico.com/EDICION/E...1/f066mh02.jpg

Well according to the rumor this is the woman Letizia Ortiz, a Spanish newscasterfor TVE. But according to the article in El Periodico - the Palace is denying all rumors and Ms. Ortiz herself is saying yes, they are friends, but not romantically involved.

Article in Spanish:
LA ZARZUELA NIEGA LA EXISTENCIA DE PLANES DE MATRIMONIO PARA EL PRÍNCIPE
La amistad de Felipe con Letizia Ortiz desata las especulaciones

MARIÁNGEL ALCÁZAR
BARCELONA

Las prisas por casar al Príncipe volvieron a hacer saltar ayer las alarmas sobre un inminente anuncio de boda. Las especulaciones que desde hace semanas venían haciéndose en círculos sociales de Madrid acerca de la naturaleza de la amistad que Felipe de Borbón mantiene con la periodista Letizia Ortiz adquirieron categoría de posible romance. Ayer por la mañana, el programa Hoy por hoy, que dirige Iñaki Gabilondo, se hizo eco de un rumor que daba por hecho el inminente anuncio oficial de la boda del Príncipe con una joven a la que se calificó de "muy conocida". Sin embargo, la Zarzuela negó durante todo el día la posibilidad de un compromiso.
Las especulaciones en torno a la vida sentimental de Felipe de Borbón no son ninguna novedad, pero el hecho de que algunas personas aseguraran haber visto en público al heredero en compañía de Ortiz, actual presentadora del Telediario 2, hicieron circular la especie más rápidamente.
La propia periodista alimentó los rumores al admitir en su entorno laboral haber mantenido algunos encuentros con el Príncipe. Ante la avalancha de conjeturas, Letizia confirmó ayer a varias personas su pertenencia al círculo de amistades del heredero, pero negó cualquier vínculo amoroso.
Fuentes próximas al Príncipe admitieron ayer que éste sostiene desde hace algunos meses una amistad especial con una joven, aunque rechazaron que se tratara de la citada periodista. La respuesta oficial de la Zarzuela fue la de negar la existencia de planes para anunciar una posible boda, tal como había insinuado por la mañana el periodista Rafael Manzano, colaborador de Hoy por hoy, con el apodo de El Búho, que se encarga de un espacio de comentarios confidenciales.
Ajeno a toda esta ola de comentarios, el Príncipe se encontraba ayer en Barcelona asistiendo a un seminario sobre globalización, desarrollo y gobernabilidad, organizado por la Fundació La Caixa.

rarotonga 11-01-2003 12:27 AM

Hmm....she's denying it, the Palace is denying it. From what I've observed, there's usually no basis on these type of reporting especially when the girl talks. I would think that the Palace would want someone who did not comment on anything until the official engagement is announced. But it could be a trick since she's "in the limelight" given her profession. Still, I do not think there's any truth to this.

samitude 11-01-2003 01:16 AM

Well, most of the time the palaces of the different royal families deny everything until they want to announce something.

I'll say this much for her. I've only seen a couple of photos of her, but from the ones I have seen she seems to fit the bill. She knows how to dress properly and will know how to handle the press because she works in a type of media. I'm sure her public speaking skills will help her as well. I wonder how tall she is.

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 04:37 AM

I read somewhere that she dates with another guy from TVE, a director or something. I belive that pics from them appearded in the press few weeks ago. The one that said her name is an morron and had a very sad idea :P

Sunshine1303 11-01-2003 02:08 PM

Can someone be so kind as to translate the article please? Thank you............. ;)

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 02:46 PM

https://www.elmundo.es/

"EL HEREDERO DE LA CORONA SE CASARÁ EL PRÓXIMO VERANO
La Casa Real anuncia el enlace del Príncipe con la periodista Letizia Ortiz

ELMUNDO.ES | EFE

MADRID.- El Príncipe Felipe contraerá matrimonio a principios del próximo verano con la periodista Letizia Ortiz. Don Felipe de Borbón, heredero de la Corona, tiene 35 años y su prometida 31. Letizia Ortiz, Licenciada en Ciencias de la Información, ejerce en la actualidad su profesión como presentadora de la Segunda Edición del Telediario de TVE.

La boda entre Don Felipe y Letizia Ortiz se celebrará en la catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Almudena y la petición de mano tendrá lugar el próximo jueves, informaron fuentes de la Casa del Rey.

La Casa Real ha hecho público el compromiso a través del siguiente comunicado:

"Sus Majestades los Reyes tienen la gran satisfacción de anunciar el compromiso matrimonial de Su hijo, Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Asturias Don Felipe, con Doña Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.

La petición de mano tendrá lugar en el Palacio de la Zarzuela el próximo jueves, día 6 de noviembre.

La boda se celebrará a principios del verano de 2004 en la Catedral de Santa María la Real de la Almudena de Madrid.

Palacio de la Zarzuela, 1 de noviembre de 2003"."

foreman 11-01-2003 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Letizia

foreman 11-01-2003 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Letizia

foreman 11-01-2003 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
letizia

foreman 11-01-2003 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Letizia

foreman 11-01-2003 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Letizia

Lena 11-01-2003 03:40 PM

:o :o :o Has the palace really confirmed this?!
Now I´ve the feeling that I´ve just woken up from coma and several years went by! I´ve still believed that he has an (secret) affair with Eva Sannum.
I´ve never heard before about Letizia. And I´ve looked even on this board, we never had a thread on her, am I right (if I compare it with the stuff, which we wrote about Mary on this board before her engagement)?!
I´ve just two explainations for this: Felipe fooled us all and is together with her since a long time, or his parents forced/convinced him to marry, and this becomes a second Diana-Charles-Camilla-drama..but I hope not and I wish them all luck...but it would be nice to know more about her.

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 03:42 PM

Yes, this was an official anouncement from Zarzuela Palace :flower: She's a very popular reporter in Spain (she's the host from the evening news in TVE), divorced previouly (a civil wedding) and she's from Asturias.

"Sus Majestades los Reyes tienen la gran satisfacción de anunciar el compromiso matrimonial de Su hijo, Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Asturias Don Felipe, con Doña Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.

La petición de mano tendrá lugar en el Palacio de la Zarzuela el próximo jueves, día 6 de noviembre.

La boda se celebrará a principios del verano de 2004 en la Catedral de Santa María la Real de la Almudena de Madrid.

Lena 11-01-2003 03:48 PM

She got divorced (that would exclude that his parents forced him to marry her) :o :o I´m perplexed. Is there a day (like 1. April in other countries) in Spain, where you can fool everybody and is this day on the first of November?!

Lena 11-01-2003 04:01 PM

And in which media-genre does she work? reliable news (like CNN)? Could it be that we didn´t knew from this relationship because this woman has such good connections to the media?!

Fireweaver 11-01-2003 04:06 PM

Congrats to Felipe and his new fiancee. Talk about a shock.
Anyone want to bet Nikolaos of Greece announces his engagement any day now?

Josefine 11-01-2003 04:19 PM

what does the media say

Its already in the Swedish media, but what does the Spanish media say do they like her

sky 11-01-2003 04:20 PM

I'm happy for them. : :heart: But did anyone else not want to believe it. I thought it was a hollow eve's joke, because i thought the engagement date would be said. I swear my heart just stop :doh: ,it seemed like he never was going to get married. Everyone is married or getting married, now fawing over them wont be the same. :cry:

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 04:26 PM

The spanish media is very happy with his choice :flower:

tricia 11-01-2003 04:29 PM

Well, it's official...all the crown princes are taken! :(

Lena 11-01-2003 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xicamaluca@Nov 1st, 2003 - 3:26 pm
The spanish media is very happy with his choice :flower:
hehe, what else should they say...she´s their co-worker...and every (little) journalist can dream to become a princess /prince now.

Josefine 11-01-2003 04:34 PM

am I the only one that is a bit stunned,

Alexandra 11-01-2003 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xicamaluca@Nov 1st, 2003 - 8:46 pm
https://www.elmundo.es/

"EL HEREDERO DE LA CORONA SE CASARÁ EL PRÓXIMO VERANO
La Casa Real anuncia el enlace del Príncipe con la periodista Letizia Ortiz

ELMUNDO.ES | EFE

MADRID.- El Príncipe Felipe contraerá matrimonio a principios del próximo verano con la periodista Letizia Ortiz. Don Felipe de Borbón, heredero de la Corona, tiene 35 años y su prometida 31. Letizia Ortiz, Licenciada en Ciencias de la Información, ejerce en la actualidad su profesión como presentadora de la Segunda Edición del Telediario de TVE.

La boda entre Don Felipe y Letizia Ortiz se celebrará en la catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Almudena y la petición de mano tendrá lugar el próximo jueves, informaron fuentes de la Casa del Rey.

La Casa Real ha hecho público el compromiso a través del siguiente comunicado:

Please, can somebody translate this. In English or German. I´d like to know, what is that all. Please.

royal_sophietje 11-01-2003 04:38 PM

It's a bit of suprise for me. I hope it is true love and that they will be happy :)

But it's so...unexpected....

Alexandria 11-01-2003 04:41 PM

www.casareal.es

Sus Majestades los Reyes tienen la gran satisfacción de anunciar el compromiso matrimonial de Su hijo, Su Alteza Real el Príncipe de Asturias Don Felipe, con Doña Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.

Palacio de la Zarzuela, 1 de noviembre de 2003

Alexandria 11-01-2003 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.casareal.es

Datos biográficos de Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano

Nació el 15 de septiembre de 1972 en Oviedo.

Es licenciada en Ciencias de la Información, rama Periodismo, por la Universidad Complutense de Madrid, y cuenta con un Master de Periodismo Audiovisual por el Instituto de Estudios de Periodismo Audiovisual. Empezó sus estudios de Doctorado en México, donde trabajó en el periódico Siglo 21.

Ha trabajado desde muy joven en varios medios de comunicación, entre ellos el diario asturiano La Nueva España, el periódico ABC y la Agencia EFE, donde realizó su labor en edición de internacional durante el último año de carrera.

En televisión ha trabajado en la cadena estadounidense Bloomberg TV, un canal privado especializado en economía, finanzas y mercados, con sede en España bajo la supervisión de la Agencia EFE Televisión. Ha sido también presentadora, redactora y reportera en CNN plus, el canal privado formado por la estadounidense CNN y CANAL plus.

Letizia Ortiz se incorporó el año 2000 a Televisión Española, donde trabajó con el equipo de edición de Telediario Segunda Edición y se hizo cargo de la presentación de Informe Semanal. Posteriormente, presentó Telediario Matinal, los especiales sobre el Euro que se ofrecieron en los Telediarios de TVE y ha sido enviada especial a diferentes puntos de todo el mundo para cubrir acontecimientos de actualidad.

Alexandria 11-01-2003 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lena@Nov 1st, 2003 - 2:48 pm
Is there a day (like 1. April in other countries) in Spain, where you can fool everybody and is this day on the first of November?!
No kidding! :lol: I think this news caught about 99.9% of us by complete surprise! Mary and Frederik we could see coming, it was just a matter of when. But we didn't even know about Letizia! The name hadn't even crossed our lips until about yesterday evening!

Talk about keeping a good secret!

Two Crown Prince weddings in 2004, not to mention two future heirs being born next year!

Josefine 11-01-2003 04:51 PM

Then she will be at Frederik's and Mary's wedding

I think its good that she is used with the media,

Josefine 11-01-2003 04:53 PM

Articles in Spanish
www.elmundo.es/

www.elpais.es/

Alexandria 11-01-2003 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
www.yahoo.com - Spanish television journalist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano's engagement to Spain's heir Prince Felipe was announced by the palace. The wedding will take place at the start of summer 2004 at Almudena Cathedral in Madrid.

Alexandria 11-01-2003 04:55 PM

www.yahoo.com - The news in English ... In any language, shocking news!

Felipe, Heir to Spanish Throne, Gets Engaged
1 hour, 15 minutes ago

MADRID (Reuters) - Prince Felipe, the heir to the Spanish throne, has become engaged to television presenter Letizia Ortiz, the palace said on Saturday.

The love life of the tall and handsome Felipe, 35, has been a hot topic in gossip and society magazines for years as he is next in line to be king. His father, King Juan Carlos, is 68.

Ortiz, 31, is a presenter for state television.

The prince will formally ask for her hand next Thursday, and they are due to be married next summer, the palace said in a statement.

Alexandria 11-01-2003 04:56 PM

www.yahoo.com

Heir to Spanish throne to marry journalist

MADRID (AFP) - Prince Felipe, heir to the throne of Spain, will marry divorced Spanish television journalist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano next summer, the palace announced.

The 35-year-old prince, son of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, will next Thursday go to the palace to officially request permission to marry the 31 year-old current affairs presenter of public television channel TVE.

"The marriage will take place at the start of summer 2004 at Almudena Cathedral in Madrid," an official communique announced a day before the queen's 65th birthday.

Ortiz, who also worked for the conservative newspaper ABC and the CNN plus television channel, had married one of her former teachers in 1999 but divorced a year later.

Since no church wedding was held at the time, the Roman Catholic Church was not expected to oppose her remarryin

Josefine 11-01-2003 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
------

Josefine 11-01-2003 04:58 PM

will it be a gala wedding like in Norway and will be in Denmark

The Watcher 11-01-2003 05:08 PM

A 31 year old, divorced tv-journalist.... :o :woot: :wacko:

Never heard of her. :blink:

Alexandria 11-01-2003 05:14 PM

She is certainly very beautiful. And while she's not noble, she is Spanish and that will make her adjustment to royal life a bit easier. Unlike Mary, she will not have to learn a new language or culture, and that is one less hill to climb!

And because this relationship was kept so secret and hush-hush for such a long time until now, Letizia has not been subjected to the level of scrutiny Mary was prior to her engagement announcement to Frederik. Probably less stressing in some ways but more pressure on the day of the official presentation.

I'm curious to know what she is like personality wise, and how she'll fit in into the women of the royal family, from the properness of Queen Sofia, to the formalness of Infanta Elena, to the casual, sportiness of Infanta Cristina.

thissal 11-01-2003 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria@Nov 1st, 2003 - 12:56 pm
Since no church wedding was held at the time, the Roman Catholic Church was not expected to oppose her remarryin
As a Catholic I know that technically this is correct, but it violates the spirit of the law concerning divorce and remarriage in the Catholic Church.

Lena 11-01-2003 05:22 PM

I think she looks a little bit like Queen Rania.

sandee 11-01-2003 05:26 PM

She sure is a stunning beauty...but i thought that Felipe couldn't marry a non-royal? Well i guess that couldn't have been possible since the royal population of eligible royal women is very limited. These two will certainly make a very attractive couple :)

ILOVEABBA 11-01-2003 05:26 PM

a journalist... A COMMONER... A DIVORCEE, SHE IS BEAUTIFUL, BUT PRINCESS MATERIAL AND FUTURE QUEEN??? I THOUGHT IN SPAIN MORE THAN ANY WHERE ELSE THEIR FUTURE QUEEN WOULD BE EXPECTED TO BE A VIRGIN AND OF THE NOBILITY AT THE VERY LEAST, IF NOT A ROYAL PRINCESS. :o :blink: :cry: :unsure: :( :woot: DO YOU THINK THE PRINCE WILL GET PERMISSION TO MARRY HER?

Lena 11-01-2003 05:46 PM

As they court announced it, who should stop him. I don´t know if the parliament has to admit in Spain, but actually there´s no reason, so that they could say no. She is no criminal, terrorist or something like that.

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 05:46 PM

The Prince has already permission to marry her ;) The King and the Cortes Generales gave permission.

Lena 11-01-2003 05:48 PM

Are there any online-videos of her?

Lena 11-01-2003 05:54 PM

And couldn´t it be that he has impregnated her...and that´s the reason, why they marry so fast?!

Elaine 11-01-2003 05:55 PM

I think its about time he got married. He's almost 36. Who knows, maybe he is taking a page from Haakon of Norway and choosing someone who has a past (divorced) but has stood up for her and said "This is the woman I want". I wish them the best of luck. ;)

samitude 11-01-2003 06:06 PM

Is there a Spanish TV site that has a place where you can watch the news free on the internet? I would like to be able to watch the news updates for this engagement and the wedding later on.

Josefine 11-01-2003 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What will the German magazines write now :innocent:

They have written that she would marry Madeleine and Victoria carried his child
It can't be easy to be a gossip writer in Germany :lol:

Dennism 11-01-2003 06:14 PM

Bravo to him. She's gorgeous. We get TVEI here and I'm sure they will have a report on it as well. Too bad he had to dump that fashion model. It's ridiculous that other people are deciding who you should marry.

Josefine 11-01-2003 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a bigger picture

Josefine 11-01-2003 06:27 PM

at Glittering Royal Events Message Board Ademar have posted severla articles

here is the link

Dennism 11-01-2003 07:13 PM

More photos are here:

https://cgi.abc.es/galerias/muestrarepo.asp...ficha=1&pagina=

mybags 11-01-2003 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tricia@Nov 1st, 2003 - 3:29 pm
Well, it's official...all the crown princes are taken! :(
Well Prince Albert of Monaco is still avaliable.

Princess Wannabe 11-01-2003 07:18 PM

Is she a blonde or brunette? In some photos, she looks blonde, in others she looks brunette.

I am surprised about this engagement. I assumed he'd marry a noblewoman.

agm 11-01-2003 07:21 PM

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...afp203body.jpghttps://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...afp203body.jpg
:heart: :innocent: :woot: :flower: ;)

samitude 11-01-2003 08:54 PM

Here's a website about the couple from El Mundo.

Link: Felipe and Letizia

foreman 11-01-2003 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Letizia

foreman 11-01-2003 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Letizia

Dennism 11-01-2003 09:14 PM

That's an informative site.

foreman 11-01-2003 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Letizia

foreman 11-01-2003 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Letizia

foreman 11-01-2003 09:21 PM

A personal interview with Letizia in:

https://letiziaortizweb.iespana.es/letiziao.../entrevista.htm

ILOVEABBA 11-01-2003 09:54 PM

EVERY QUEEN OF SPAIN FOR... EVER, HAS BEEN A PRINCESS, GENERALLY A DAUGHTER OF A KING AND A HRH. NOW A COMMONER, AND, AND, A DIVORCEE, :blink: WILL ONE DAY SIT ON THE THRONE OF SOFIA, ENA, CHRISTINA AND ALL OF THOSE HAPSBURG AND BOURBON QUEENS THAT WENT BEFORE. :woot: "MY MOM RECKONS ROYALTY HAVE ALL GONE TO HELL AND THAT THEY DON,T MAKE ROYALS LIKE THEY USED TO". I WONDER WHAT THE POPE AND THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WILL MAKE OF IT ALL? :unsure: ONE DAY LETIZIA WILL BE HER CATHOLIC MAJESTY THE QUEEN OF SPAIN :cry: I CAN,T PICK ENOUGH OF THE CLICKABLES TO EXPRESS MY SHOCK. .. A COMMONER AND A DIVORCEE THE NEXT QUEEN OF SPAIN!!! WOW!

Lena 11-01-2003 10:16 PM

Hehe, EVERYBODY seems to be shocked and surprised the one or another way...we should collect money for such crisis (maybe tomorrow prince Albert will announce that he will marry Liz Taylor ;) ), and buy Valium and send it to very shocked LTR-members.
I think we should wait and see how cp Felipe, Letizia and the Royal couple will explain the sudden engagment. Then we will know more and can judge her better.

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 10:16 PM

The Catholic Church in Spain has already spoken and they said that, for them, she is a single ladie without any problem to became married in a religious cerimony.

ILOVEABBA 11-01-2003 10:19 PM

LENA, I REALLY LAUGHED WHEN I READ YOUR POST, VALIUM SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA. :lol:

Dennism 11-01-2003 10:20 PM

Good grief. Even the Church is rolling over for this marriage. Doesn't anybody find it odd that we didn't hear anything about this relationship? Okay. Her good name could have kept it out of the "respectable" TV news and newspapers but what about the other papers. It seems odd. It's not like he wouldn't get any other offers!

ILOVEABBA 11-01-2003 10:30 PM

HEY WAIT A MINUTE CP FELIPE MUST HAVE BEEN SEEING LETIZIA WHEN HE WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN SEEING EVA SAMNUM ((SORRY I CAN`T SPELL) HIS PARENTS WERE APPARENTLY AGAINST THAT RELATIONSHIP BECAUSE SHE WAS A COMMONER AND A MODEL , NOW SUDDENLY, HE IS ABLE TO MARRY A COMMONER AND A DIVORCEE??? OH I WISH I KNEW THE ROYALS WERE READING THIS FORUM. THEY REALLY NEED TO DO SOME EXPLAINING IF THEY ARE TO KEEP THE RESPECT THAT THEY WANT FROM US. :cry:

Lena 11-01-2003 10:32 PM

What do you think, how long are they together? My personal guess: not longer than 12 months, eventually not more than six months.
That´s a strange thing, a lot of crown princes/princesses had girlfriends/boyfriends, which had already one foot in the palace door (Emily Bremers, Eva Sannum, Bettina Ödum/Maria Montell, Daniel Collert, Camilla Parker-Bowles...) and suddenly they take another one, with whom they aren´t that long together :blink:

foreman 11-01-2003 10:37 PM

I think they haven`t said anything about their relation is to protect Letizia. All of us know how is the spanish journalist. Like she is a journalist the problems increase a lot because the journalists, friends of her, would have an easy information.

foreman 11-01-2003 10:39 PM

They met one year ago, in a party in Madrid.

Starr 11-01-2003 10:39 PM

I think you know when you find the "right" person. I met my husband in November, we were engaged in January and married in September. This was ten years ago this month.

I about fell over about this engagement. I can't see his mother going for this, but I guess she did.

Dennism 11-01-2003 10:40 PM

Just seems a short time to be announcing an engagement as well. They only met at the oil slick in Galicia last summer. Talk about a romantic spot! And I remember that he went.

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 10:50 PM

No, according to the spokesman of the royal house they met in a comun friend's house in September. And the truth is that for some months that rumours about Felipe dating a reporter existed in Spain, but no one paid attention to them and they die. Until now that they became true :P

Lena 11-01-2003 10:51 PM

Yes, maybe it´s sometimes that way, you meet a person, and you can decide at once that you want so spend your life with him/her. I don´t know really, because I´m not married until now. Poor prince Albert, it seems as if he hasn´t found such a person until now.
And probably this is the reason why the former relationships lasted longer. They liked the person, considered her/him as attractive, they didn´t love them enough, but didn´t find a better one at this time. And so they probably tested them to make a decision, and went with them more in the limelight. Maybe you try to protect a person more, which you really love?!
They have met just one year ago...but I want to know, when they fell in love...I guess the most important question on this board at the moment. ;)

Lena 11-01-2003 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xicamaluca@Nov 1st, 2003 - 9:50 pm
No, according to the spokesman of the royal house they met in a comun friend's house in September.
Which september? 2002 or 2003?

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 10:53 PM

Of course that September of 2002, i forgot that part :P

And from i've listen the love relation started in March/April from this year B)

samitude 11-01-2003 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Nov 1st, 2003 - 3:06 pm
Congrats to Felipe and his new fiancee. Talk about a shock.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does. It would be the same as in 1995.

• Elena and Jaime
  • Pavlos and Marie-Chantal
  • Joachim and Alexandra
  • Frederik and Mary
  • Felipe and Letizia
  • Nikolaos and Tatiana

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 10:55 PM

Btw, the spokesman of the royal house also revealed that she was introduced to the kings in mid September of this year ;)

samitude 11-01-2003 10:56 PM

How is Letizia pronounced?

Lena 11-01-2003 10:57 PM

:o hui, just 7 months together. I´ve said one post before, that I believe that a person, who is really in love can make such a fast decision, but it´s absolutely uncommon in Royal houses. A princess-to-be has to learn so many things, and isn´t better to learn it before (at least a little bit)?!

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 10:57 PM

Is pronounced "Leticia" but is written with a Z because the guy taht registrated the name tougth taht her parents were italians. Story by ABC :P

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 11:00 PM

Well, happened with Cristina and Iñaki, they met in the summer Olympic games in Atlanta (96) and in November of 97 they married :P

Lena 11-01-2003 11:03 PM

And how long were Elena and Jaime together before?

xicamaluca 11-01-2003 11:04 PM

I don't know :(

mari0915 11-01-2003 11:14 PM

I'm shocked, It's all over hola.com. I'm still speechless.

visitor 11-01-2003 11:19 PM

Quote:

A princess-to-be has to learn so many things, and isn´t better to learn it before (at least a little bit)?!
She has a lot of advantages. She's Spanish, knows the culture, speaks the language, knows how to present herself publically, IMO has a great sense of style, judging from the photos posted here. She appears very poised, so adjusting to her duties will probably be very easy for her.

hrhcp 11-01-2003 11:38 PM

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3234267.stm

It must be official if BBC reports it.

"Spanish prince to wed journalist

Felipe's love life has been the focus of intense speculation
The heir to the Spanish throne has got engaged, the palace has announced.

Prince Felipe, 35, is to marry television presenter Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, 31, early next summer at the Almudena Cathedral in Madrid.

The prince, the only son of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, will formally seek his parents' consent on Thursday.

The love life of the prince ... has been the subject of keen speculation in Spain for several years.

Tall and considered dashing, the prince was described by the German press on a visit earlier this year as "Europe's most attractive bachelor".

His two elder sisters, Princesses Elena and Cristina, are already married, both to non-royalty.

Prince Felipe has been heir since his father was crowned king in 1975 during the transition from the Franco dictatorship to the modern Spanish democracy.

A spokesman for the royal household quoted by AFP news agency said the king and queen were satisfied at the match, believing that the bride-to-be "reconciles the necessary conditions" to share their son's responsibilities.

Leading journalist

Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano is a well-known television presenter who, according to Spain's ABC newspaper, first met the prince last December when he was visiting the region of Galicia after an oil slick devastated the shoreline. She was covering the story at the time.

Rocasolano is a television presenter
She has worked as a journalist for ABC newspaper, the state news agency EFE and local channel CNN+.

Prince Felipe possesses a law degree and has also studied at military schools.

He regularly represents Spain at initiation ceremonies for heads of state or government in Latin America and regularly carries out official trips abroad and in Spain.

The Spanish royal household has kept silence on the prince's previous affairs ....

George 11-02-2003 01:29 AM

X: of course the Spanish media is happy for her--one of their own is "in" now.
They better fast make this girl sign a document stating she is NEVER EVER TO
WRITE ANY TELL ALL BOOKS. Period.

I am sure in her heart, HM Queen Sophia is not smiling-this is not the kind of
woman she would of wanted. She would want someone who is like herself-
of a royal house, and if not that, she could tollerate nobility, but this is not
something she acepted without some words to her stubborn son.

It seems the twlight of monarchy if these young men keep making these foolish
mistakes.

The issues is:she was married before. That is a past. I do not care that the Catholic
Church annulled it. In many eyes and minds of the traditional Spanish male and
female-married before is just that: she was married before.

Ms Hairy Legs 11-02-2003 01:51 AM

Personally, I think a noble birth (and even a pristine past) is just window dressing when it comes to the spouses of royals. In this day and age what is most important is:

1. discretion from the moment they get involved. It's true that someone with a controversial past might bring disrepute on the royal family but if it was an isolated event or one that is not likely to be repeated then it ought to be forgiven. Forgiveness is a tenet of Christianity and Catholicism, right?

2. intelligence. Royals are under the limelight and public scrutiny so much more in modern times, and a royal who is inarticulate or just plain dumb is more of an embarrassment than one that is a mere divorcee.

The spouse of a royal represents the country as a sort of a figurehead and an ambassador and if they don't possess a degree of intelligence then it's less likely they'll garner much respect for themselves or their country. Letizia seems to have that at least.

3. A hard work ethic. How much is the royal lifestyle subsidised by tax payers in Spain? I'm not sure, but a Royal spouse who marries into the family and is motivated only by the lifstyle is really a useless waste of resources. From her professional past it is quite obvious that Letizia is a hard, ambitious worker.

Perhaps she's had help from her father's media connections but it would seem that she took full advantages of the opportunities given to her to succeed. Do any spanish posters have an opinion on her newcasting/reporting abilities? Is she respected? In any case she seems like the sort of person who would work hard at whatever job she is given so I reckon she'd make an awesome CP and Queen one day.

I do wonder whether the clositered life of Royalty muight get boring for someone who is used to danger and independance. On a shallow note - WOW! She's HOT. And I think it's the combination of devastingly good looks, solid professional career and what seems to be confidence and media savvy that makes me like her so much more than I could ever like Mary D (even though Mary is a fellow Australian).

Jo 11-02-2003 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fireweaver@Nov 1st, 2003 - 2:06 pm

:shock: bit your tongue! Nik is mine not that 22yo brat's. ;)

Fireweaver 11-02-2003 02:42 AM

:) My tongue is now sore from biting it :)

liv 11-02-2003 05:09 AM

is letizia really divorced?This is unbelievable because the spanish house is very catholic.And I don´t think the pope will agree.

xicamaluca 11-02-2003 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by liv@Nov 2nd, 2003 - 9:09 am
is letizia really divorced?This is unbelievable because the spanish house is very catholic.And I don´t think the pope will agree.
Yes, she is realy divorced in a civil wedding. And the spanish church has already pronounced about this. The Cardinal that will marry them said that he very happy and proud of marry Felipe. Cardinal Rouco Varela is probably the most respect figure from spanish catholic church and this said it all. They approved the wedding.

xicamaluca 11-02-2003 07:26 AM

The article with the words of Cadinal Rouco Varela

https://es.news.yahoo.com/031101/4/31pwd.html

"
Rouco expresó al Rey su satisfacción por oficiar la boda del Príncipe con Letizia Ortiz
MADRID, 1 (EUROPA PRESS)

El cardenal arzobispo de Madrid, monseñor Rouco Varela, expresó su satisfacción al Rey Don Juan Carlos por oficiar la próxima boda del Principe Felipe con Letizia Ortiz, según informaron fuentes de la Casa Real a Europa Press.

Rouco manifestó al Rey su alegría por el matrimonio del Príncipe y dijo estar encantado de oficiar la ceremonia que se celebrará en el verano de 2004 en la catedral de La Almudena de Madrid.

El hecho de que monseñor Rouco oficie la ceremonia supone el espaldarazo de la Iglesia y la Conferencia Episcopal al enlace entre el Príncipe heredero de la Corona y la periodista Letizia Ortiz, casada en primeras nupcias por lo civil.
"

Alexandria 11-02-2003 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Alexandria 11-02-2003 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Sunshine1303 11-02-2003 10:48 AM

OH MY GOD, I am shocked :o :o , how and when is all I wonder. A few months ago there were rumours about Felipe and Christine and now this???????????????

I find all of this a little mystifying, :wacko: but I have to say stranger things HAVE happened.As long as they TRULY love one another, then thats all that matters :flower:

However I have to say, I am more than surprised that queen Sofia has actually approved of this match. The lady is question IS a divorcee after all - civil marriage or not. Being a staunch roman catholic myself I do know that divorces are considered distasteful so in that respect I AM surprised that even the cardinal has given this match a green flag. I personally think that everyone is giving this a green flag keeping Felipe's age in mind. Had the prince been younger Letizia would've been scrutinized a lot, lot harder - just like the rest of them.

If Felipe is marrying for love then its okay, but I hope and pray that he isn't doing this out of pressure - what with nearly all the other royals getting married.

The only aspect that marriage must be based on is love - out of which comes trust, respect and mutual understanding. If people get married for any other reasons other that the above then they are fooling themselves and unfortunately it becomes a blunder they stand to regret later. So if this is for love - then goodluck and god bless always, but if its for anything else then God help them realise it before its too late.

Rachel72550 11-02-2003 10:50 AM

Wow, such a surprise to wake up to. Indeed, she is gorgeous, however, I'm wondering how Queen Sophia really feels about this union. At one time, I heard that she said that the history of marriages in Spain have been linked ONLY to other royal houses and that she wasn't going to see her son marry a commoner such as Eva Sannum. In my opinion, I believe Eva was beautiful but being a longerie model must have "sunk" her future. Here's to Felipe of Spain and his Leticia! May they survive the paps! :heart:

hrhcp 11-02-2003 11:18 AM

Quote:

Sunshine1303  Posted: Nov 2nd, 2003 - 9:48 am

OH MY GOD, I am shocked , how and when is all I wonder. A few months ago there were rumours about Felipe and Christine and now this???????????????

I find all of this a little mystifying

If I understand you correctly, you mean to say that Prince Felipe was "pressured" into the announcement of an engagement ?

I mean there is a certain sense of truth in that, Felipe being the last royal of eligible age .... and I wonder if a bet was made between Crown Princes in Sydney in 2000 ?

Quote:

However I have to say, I am more than surprised that queen Sofia has actually approved of this match. The lady is question IS a divorcee after all - civil marriage or not. Being a staunch roman catholic myself I do know that divorces are considered distasteful so in that respect I AM surprised that even the cardinal has given this match a green flag.
even when they are annulled by the church ?