The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f197/)
-   -   King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 3: Nov 2006 - Oct 2008 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f197/king-constantine-and-queen-anne-marie-current-events-3-nov-2006-oct-2008-a-11331.html)

azile 11-08-2006 06:12 PM

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 3: Nov 2006 - Oct 2008

https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...rms/Greece.gif

Welcome to Part 3 of the King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie Current Events thread.

You will find the previous thread, covering December 2005 to November 2006 here.

The forum Rules and Guidelines apply in this thread, just as in every other.

Happy posting!

iceflower 11-27-2006 02:47 AM

Anne Marie and Constantine spent the weekend with Prince Charles and Camilla and went to the traditional Sunday morning church service in Sandringham, UK, on November 26, 2006:

Anne Marie, Camilla, Constantine Camilla and Anne Marie Click here for more pics!

Skydragon 11-30-2006 11:47 AM

Greek royal family to sell heirlooms

The Greek royal family in exile, stripped of almost all of its property after a coup in 1967, is to sell silverware and other heirlooms rescued from one of its palaces in the hopes of raising at least 2 million.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../ugreek130.xml

BeatrixFan 11-30-2006 04:12 PM

How sad. I think this is a real shame.

kelly9480 11-30-2006 09:56 PM

Sad to see the items leave the family, but pretty much proof that he didn't get dowry from the Millers at the marriage, otherwise, he wouldn't be so hard up for cash that he's resorting to selling his heritage.

BeatrixFan 11-30-2006 10:16 PM

Unless he got a fortune and blew it on all on a place in the sun.

branchg 11-30-2006 10:26 PM

He may be selling the heirlooms because he doesn't want them. If he was that hard-up, he would be selling Anne-Marie's royal jewels, which are far more valuable than whatever silver or objects were sitting around Tatoi.

branchg 11-30-2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly9480
Sad to see the items leave the family, but pretty much proof that he didn't get dowry from the Millers at the marriage, otherwise, he wouldn't be so hard up for cash that he's resorting to selling his heritage.

Yeah, he's so hard up for cash that he turned down taking 7 million euros for the loss of his Greek property, instead transferring it to a nonprofit foundation?

I don't buy it for a minute.

kelly9480 11-30-2006 11:02 PM

It would be bad PR for him to have taken the Greek money. Remember, he still seems to harbor delusions about regaining his throne.

He's obviously not got a lot of cash. Otherwise, he wouldn't be selling off the heritage that's his children's only inheritance (since he won't be handing down a throne).

kelly9480 11-30-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Unless he got a fortune and blew it on all on a place in the sun.

According to the Greeks I've asked, he still doesn't have a place in Greece, yet, so I don't see what he could have blown any fortune on.

kelly9480 11-30-2006 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by branchg
He may be selling the heirlooms because he doesn't want them. If he was that hard-up, he would be selling Anne-Marie's royal jewels, which are far more valuable than whatever silver or objects were sitting around Tatoi.

I don't think he'd ever resort to selling the jewels. That would be proof to his royal "peers" that he's destitute, and he's all about appearances.

elmabruin 12-01-2006 05:21 AM

Can't believe it! It is really sad!

vasilofron 12-01-2006 08:47 AM

Official Announcment From The Greek Royal Family

THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE OF THE GREEK ROYAL FAMILY HAS ANNOUNCED THE AUCTION THAT WILL TAKE PLACE BY CHRISTIE'S ON JANUARY.
THE ROYAL FAMILY ANNOUNCMENT HAS QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT AND AS OF THE ITEMS THAT WILL BE UP FOR SALE.
THE LINK IS: https://www.kingofgreece.gr/index.cfm...ews&ItemID=201

Bella 12-01-2006 09:40 AM

Quote:

I tend to agree with this. If these items really held great sentimental value and he wanted to pass them on to his children/grandchildren I'm sure he could find a way to hang on to them. It's probably an auction similar to that of Pss. Margaret's family selling off some of her things. I don't believe the Greek royals (deposed) are rolling in the cash, but I don't think they are closet to destitution either.

Saturn 12-01-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

I hope they haven't to resort to sell Anne Marie's jewels, because it would be very sad. I still remember when I read Queen Frederika biography she said that selling her tiara in the early seventies was very sad because jewels are like a second skin.

Jackswife 12-01-2006 12:01 PM

Not the emeralds I hope!:ohmy: Anne-Marie always looks so stunning in them. I actually always think it's sad when the jewels are up for sale when the principal owner(s)/wearer(s) are still alive. It must feel like parting with your children to have them sold like that. Perhaps it really is a case of not wanting them any longer.:sad:

ellinotati 12-01-2006 01:18 PM

Oh well,even if constantine didn't have a penny he is still rich in other terms.He hit the jackpot long time ago when he married anne-marie.She and the family they created worth gold.

Skydragon 12-01-2006 02:22 PM

It is true that your favorite items feel like a 2nd skin, It must be awful for anyone having to part with some of their jewels, for whatever reason. Each piece normally holds a memory!

sita 12-01-2006 03:01 PM

Maybe some rich donator will buy some of the things and offer them back to the family, to the kids for instance...I might be too romantic... But that is probably a thing MC's parents could discreetly do.

BeatrixFan 12-01-2006 05:35 PM

Ah - so the actual issue here is that the Greek Royal Family do not own the items, they are owned by someone else who's selling them.