The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981 (https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/the-prince-of-wales-and-lady-diana-spencer-29-july-1981-a-11326.html)

pdas1201 12-12-2004 08:32 AM

The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981
 
7 Attachment(s)
I was surprised when I didn't see pics from the Wedding of the Century (even though it didn't last) at the forum. It was a spectacular wedding which is still talked about.

First, pics from the engagement which was announced on February 24, 1981.

pdas1201 12-12-2004 08:38 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Pics from the wedding which took place on July 29, 1981.

pdas1201 12-12-2004 08:40 AM

8 Attachment(s)
more pics...

cute_girl 12-12-2004 08:46 AM

thank you for the wonderfull pix,how young and innoccent she looked specially with that shy face and sweet smile

pdas1201 12-12-2004 08:53 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Pics from Corbis

4-5) the "infamous" kiss

pdas1201 12-12-2004 09:00 AM

10 Attachment(s)
and some more...

pdas1201 12-12-2004 09:01 AM

10 Attachment(s)
few more...

pdas1201 12-12-2004 02:38 PM

10 Attachment(s)
more pics....

pdas1201 12-12-2004 02:43 PM

10 Attachment(s)
and some more...

pdas1201 12-12-2004 02:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
last batch...

Ennyllorac 12-12-2004 09:28 PM

Looking at the pictures, it is so sad that it had a tragic ending.

Mandy 12-13-2004 01:13 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Pictures from www.rexfeatures.com

Mandy 12-13-2004 01:18 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Pictures from www.rexfeatures.com

Mandy 12-13-2004 01:26 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Pictures from www.rexfeatures.com

Mandy 12-13-2004 01:50 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pictures.

pdas1201 12-13-2004 04:04 AM

8 Attachment(s)
more pics...

pdas1201 12-13-2004 04:22 AM

10 Attachment(s)
and more pics..

pdas1201 12-13-2004 04:26 AM

8 Attachment(s)
last few...

Check out Pic #4--The all got tired and fell to the floor:)

pdas1201 12-13-2004 04:37 AM

Video of the wedding from BBC...

https://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2494949.stm

misshelen 12-18-2004 04:38 AM

6 Attachment(s)
and more pics..

misshelen 12-18-2004 04:56 AM

wedding
 
8 Attachment(s)
never enough pictures from the wedding..

misshelen 12-21-2004 04:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Di and Charles are "on their" way for the honeymoon

micas 12-21-2004 08:06 PM

Some 1 can tell me how that facial veil get out? When Diana enter she have the tiara above the veil...so if Charles put the veil back the tiara stay down and that don't hapen...so some1 have pics from that moment or remember or see in some place?

misshelen 02-10-2005 07:31 AM

10 Attachment(s)
More pictures from the engagement..

misshelen 02-10-2005 07:37 AM

8 Attachment(s)
and more pictures..

misshelen 02-10-2005 08:11 AM

8 Attachment(s)
and more wedding pictures church

misshelen 02-10-2005 08:20 AM

10 Attachment(s)
more carriage tour

misshelen 02-10-2005 08:35 AM

10 Attachment(s)
balcony pictures

misshelen 02-10-2005 08:43 AM

10 Attachment(s)
ready for honeymoon..

misshelen 02-10-2005 08:56 AM

8 Attachment(s)
portraits without logo

semisquare 02-12-2005 11:23 PM

i know u shouldn't use the word love on objects but i have to say that i really love the pic-it brings back so many memories

Reina 02-13-2005 12:17 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. WHo would have known such an innocent, young would live such a tragic life. But she was the most beautiful royal bride ever.

MoonlightRhapsody 02-13-2005 02:00 AM

He never should have married her in the first place. He gave her an illusion of a "happily-ever-after" and never intended to follow through with it. The two of them ended up miserable and I honestly think that she would have lived longer had they never married. I guess that the only thing that would have made that marriage worth it to Diana were the two amazing sons that were given to her.

Alexandria 06-19-2005 06:18 PM

Looking back at these pictures, I wonder how Diana walked or moved at all on her wedding day. The dress seems to engulf her tiny frame.

EmpressRouge 06-19-2005 10:05 PM

Personally, I would never wear a wedding dress like Diana's. Too meringue-y. But I would say that the romantic fairytale dress did suit Diana's character and the public's perception. It was this dress that ushered in the return-to-romance look of the 80s (and some of those wedding gowns were horrific) from the counter cultural gowns of the 60s and 70s. And considering the location was St. Paul's Cathedral, Diana had to have dress that would match and not be drawfed by the grandeur and majesty of the setting.

londonaster 06-22-2005 05:40 PM

I absolutely adore the picture of Diana turning around on the steps and the wind is blowing her veil. Beautiful picture, probably my favorite along with the one of her talking to the little bridesmaid before the wedding.

misshelen 07-30-2005 10:49 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Yesterday is was 24 years ago they were married. Pictures from AP, Reuters and ANP

Aussie Princess 08-01-2005 08:19 AM

Thank you so much for those pictures!I can't believe how perfect it all looked. I wasn't alive then, but I can image how everyone was so captured by the 'fairytale'

Beetlejuice 08-01-2005 07:09 PM

Seeing the photos makes me sad. I still can't believe she's been gone.

iowabelle 08-01-2005 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micas
Some 1 can tell me how that facial veil get out? When Diana enter she have the tiara above the veil...so if Charles put the veil back the tiara stay down and that don't hapen...so some1 have pics from that moment or remember or see in some place?

I think that when they went off to sign the registry book they fixed her hair and moved the veil off her face. That was never shown on TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beetlejuice
Seeing the photos makes me sad. I still can't believe she's been gone.

It still makes me very sad, too. The difference between what we saw and what was real was sad just by itself. And then to have lost her in such a needless way.

I cried for about a week and still do when I think of her.

Reina 08-01-2005 11:02 PM

One of the pics was collage like and said wedding of the century. Do you guys feel that it was the wedding of the century? I think so. But sometimes wehn I look at these and other pics of her I just want to scream why. She was a virgin who didn't do anything w/ anyone and saved herself for her husband. And for all this to happen...A virgin's worst nightmare to give your husband what you've been saving for him and for everything to turn all wrong. But she looked absolutely divine (I wonder will any of the conspiracy theorist say that she plotted to look so serene and graceful to get the public's attention). Anyway, I am going to get a video from the library of the wedding since I wasn't born then. I would really luv to se the wedding.

Victoria1999 08-01-2005 11:18 PM

I really think that it was the wedding of the century. I haven't seen the wedding though. At the time, I was 7. It is really sad of what happened. Nobody was able to predict the future at the time although some people had the feeling that this marriage will be a total disaster.

Reina 08-01-2005 11:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Some pics and a beautiful sketching from gettyimages

Fashionista100 08-03-2005 11:41 AM

Yes, it was the wedding of the century. It was the wedding around the world that everyone watched and looked forward to. People took off work around the world to see it. It was the ultimate fairy tale come true even if it didn't turn out bad. By today's standards the dress is over the top, but in the 80's everyone wanted a dress like that it captured the imagination.

Someone already answered Micas question, but when she signed the book she changed her veil and tiara around. They were in the office for quite some time. Sarah also did the same thing but with the flowers. I remember it from the broadcast.

misshelen 08-26-2005 06:38 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Pictures from the Church without watermark. Source unknown

Warren 08-26-2005 07:03 AM

Something special
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fashionista100
Yes, it was the wedding of the century. It was the wedding around the world that everyone watched and looked forward to. People took off work around the world to see it. It was the ultimate fairy tale come true.

Well-stated Fashionista100. Nothing had captured the interest of the (Western) world like this event did. It was the launch of the Princess Superstar, the phenomenon of the late twentieth century. It is perhaps hard today to describe the atmosphere at the time, but the excitement was palpable and it united us all. (Probably much the same as the Coronation of 1953 did - my parents have told me of the neighbourhood Coronation parties held here in Sydney.) As much as Diana's funeral depressed us, the wedding was the other extreme in its universal uplifiting effect. It was a very special time.
.

tiaraprin 08-26-2005 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren
Well-stated Fashionista100. Nothing had captured the interest of the (Western) world like this event did. It was the launch of the Princess Superstar, the phenomenon of the late twentieth century. It is perhaps hard today to describe the atmosphere at the time, but the excitement was palpable and it united us all. (Probably much the same as the Coronation of 1953 did - my parents have told me of the neighbourhood Coronation parties held here in Sydney.) As much as Diana's funeral depressed us, the wedding was the other extreme in its universal uplifiting effect. It was a very special time.
.

It was truly a very special time. I had just turned 13 years old 3 weeks previous to the wedding. I remember the excitement of counting down the days with my Mom until the wedding.

We got up at 4AM (EST) to see all of the festivities. I was blown away by the amount of people lining the streets!! I remember the carriage procession and seeing Diana in the glass coach with her father. She looked so shy and demure.

When she walked down the aisle, I thought of her poor father. They kept repeating here on American TV that the Earl had had a stroke and was not too steady on his feet. My mother and I were holding our collective breaths until he got Diana to the altar!

I made a sound of surprise when she mixed up Charles' names. I was like OH MY GOD!

The carriage procession back to Buckingham was magnificent. They looked so good together and the balcony appearances were phenomenal. It was miraculous in a young girl's eyes (as I was at the time) to see a woman transformed from the ordinary to a princess.

If I had only known how it was going to end. I wouldn't have wanted her to walk down the aisle:( :( :( .

paloma 08-26-2005 10:16 AM

At the time it was the wedding of the century. However, knowing now that it was a complete sham, makes it null and void in my eyes.

The wedding of Fred and Mary may not have been watched by as many people, but it was probably the most regal of royal weddings that I can remember and I do remember Charles and Dianas wedding.

cd_1 08-26-2005 11:46 AM

did Diana lose weight before the marriage? she looks heavier in the engagement pictures than in the wedding photos.

iowabelle 08-26-2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cd_1
did Diana lose weight before the marriage? she looks heavier in the engagement pictures than in the wedding photos.

The dress designers complained that she was losing weight all the time, they had to keep taking the dress in.

I think she was bingeing and purging throughout the engagement.

emily62_1 08-28-2005 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by semisquare
i know u shouldn't use the word love on objects but i have to say that i really love the pic-it brings back so many memories


well, I was there that day, with my younger cousin, we waited for so long on The Mall, which leads to BP, then, she and C. came by, and then we went to BP, just where the statue is, I recall when ppl asked for a kiss and so he kissed Diana.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
He never should have married her in the first place. He gave her an illusion of a "happily-ever-after" and never intended to follow through with it. The two of them ended up miserable and I honestly think that she would have lived longer had they never married. I guess that the only thing that would have made that marriage worth it to Diana were the two amazing sons that were given to her.

she would have been still alive, now, maybe she would have married some1 who could love her, as for the sons, I feel so sad when I c that they have accepted the new wife of their father and carry on with their lives, I wonder if they ever think of their late mom, she was so proud of them, exp. of Wills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
Thanks for starting this thread. WHo would have known such an innocent, young would live such a tragic life. But she was the most beautiful royal bride ever.

I loved her wed dress, and that started a trend btw the spouses, I myself got married 2 years after Diana, but was not able to find a wed dress that resembled hers, unfortunately, I have seen so many wed dresses in Royal weds, but for me Di's was the most beautiful, hope to go to Althorp soon , so I can visit her grave and look at her wonderful wed dress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily62_1
I loved her wed dress, and that started a trend btw the spouses, I myself got married 2 years after Diana, but was not able to find a wed dress that resembled hers, unfortunately, I have seen so many wed dresses in Royal weds, but for me Di's was the most beautiful, hope to go to Althorp soon , so I can visit her grave and look at her wonderful wed dress.

PS- when Caroline of Monaco married Stefano Casiraghi wearing the short wed dress at the end of 1983, I remember some of my cousins chose a short wed dress themselves and wore a white tape in their hair just like Caroline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by misshelen
and more pics..

who were the bridesmaid and the bride- grooms? I think the blonde girl of about 4 years old, on Di's left must be Lady Gabriella Windsor, then Lady Sarah, who were the other 1s? was Lord Federick there, maybe not as he was only 2 at the time-

iowabelle 08-28-2005 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily62_1
who were the bridesmaid and the bride- grooms? I think the blonde girl of about 4 years old, on Di's left must be Lady Gabriella Windsor, then Lady Sarah, who were the other 1s? was Lord Federick there, maybe not as he was only 2 at the time-

Gabriella Windsor was too young.

The girls were Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, then 17; India Hicks, 11, granddaughter of Lord Mountbatten; Sarah Jane Gaselee (I might have spelled this wrong), 11, whose father had something to do with Prince Charles' polo; Catherine Cameron, 6; and Clementine Hambro, 4 or 5, who was the great-granddaughter of Winston and Clementine Churchill and who was a student at Princess Diana's kindergarten.

I have forgotten the boys' names but I know I've seen them in various books.

Lady Jean 08-29-2005 01:01 AM

The boys were Edward van Cutsem (dark hair) and Lord Nicholas Windsor.

Lady Jean 08-29-2005 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micas
Some 1 can tell me how that facial veil get out? When Diana enter she have the tiara above the veil...so if Charles put the veil back the tiara stay down and that don't hapen...so some1 have pics from that moment or remember or see in some place?

After the vows they went to sign the register. At that time, away from public view, the veil over her face was removed.

emily62_1 08-29-2005 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
Gabriella Windsor was too young.

The girls were Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, then 17; India Hicks, 11, granddaughter of Lord Mountbatten; Sarah Jane Gaselee (I might have spelled this wrong), 11, whose father had something to do with Prince Charles' polo; Catherine Cameron, 6; and Clementine Hambro, 4 or 5, who was the great-granddaughter of Winston and Clementine Churchill and who was a student at Princess Diana's kindergarten.

I have forgotten the boys' names but I know I've seen them in various books.

thanx, was India Hicks the little girl who died about 2 years after the wedding, of a brain tumour, and Lady Di was so distressed, I recall it so well, it was all so sad, Di nursed the little girl as if she was her own kid, she let India to be shown on the Royal Balcony on official duties, and she spoilt the little girl so much til the end, but I'm not sure if it was India or not, this kid was a daughter of some relatives of the Windsor.

Warren 08-29-2005 03:45 AM

Hon Leonora Romsey
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by emily62_1
Was India Hicks the little girl who died about 2 years after the wedding, of a brain tumour, and Lady Di was so distressed, I recall it so well, it was all so sad, Di nursed the little girl as if she was her own kid, she let India to be shown on the Royal Balcony on official duties,

The little girl was the Hon Leonora Romsey, the daughter of Lord and Lady Romsey, who died at the age of four from a kidney tumour. She appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in June 1991 and died four months later in October.

Lord Romsey is the eldest son of Countess Mountbatten of Burma. He and his wife, ne้ Penelope Eastwood, are part of the tight inner circle of the Royal Family, and Lady Romsey is known to be close to The Duke of Edinburgh.

India Hicks is the daughter of Lady Pamela Hicks, the sister of the Countess of Burma.

As an aside, I think it more likely that The Queen determines who appears on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
.

iowabelle 08-29-2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily62_1
thanx, was India Hicks the little girl who died about 2 years after the wedding, of a brain tumour, and Lady Di was so distressed, I recall it so well, it was all so sad, Di nursed the little girl as if she was her own kid, she let India to be shown on the Royal Balcony on official duties, and she spoilt the little girl so much til the end, but I'm not sure if it was India or not, this kid was a daughter of some relatives of the Windsor.

India Hicks is still alive. She lives in the Caribbean and is a model. She has never married but she has a long-time partner and children with him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily62_1
thanx, was India Hicks the little girl who died about 2 years after the wedding, of a brain tumour, and Lady Di was so distressed, I recall it so well, it was all so sad, Di nursed the little girl as if she was her own kid, she let India to be shown on the Royal Balcony on official duties, and she spoilt the little girl so much til the end, but I'm not sure if it was India or not, this kid was a daughter of some relatives of the Windsor.

I'm not sure that Diana really "nursed" this child at all -- since this was during the very bad period of her marriage, and the Romseys were clearly supporters of Prince Charles.

But Diana probably doted on this poor child when she had the opportunity to do so.

emily62_1 09-01-2005 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren
The little girl was the Hon Leonora Romsey, the daughter of Lord and Lady Romsey, who died at the age of four from a kidney tumour. She appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in June 1991 and died four months later in October.

Lord Romsey is the eldest son of Countess Mountbatten of Burma. He and his wife, ne้ Penelope Eastwood, are part of the tight inner circle of the Royal Family, and Lady Romsey is known to be close to The Duke of Edinburgh.

India Hicks is the daughter of Lady Pamela Hicks, the sister of the Countess of Burma.

As an aside, I think it more likely that The Queen determines who appears on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.
.



well, I recalled the fact, but did not remember the girl's name - thanx.PS- wasn't a brain tumour ? I was very impressed by that little girl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I'm not sure that Diana really "nursed" this child at all -- since this was during the very bad period of her marriage, and the Romseys were clearly supporters of Prince Charles.

But Diana probably doted on this poor child when she had the opportunity to do so.


she did, I'm sure of it, so did Charles.

pollyemma 09-06-2005 03:44 PM

India Hicks is still very much alive (and beautiful) she was on TV quite a bit not too long ago, she was promoting a book she's written.

misshelen 10-12-2005 04:01 PM

Lovely picture from this wedding.


https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2083/a5zb.th.jpg

btsnyder 11-21-2005 02:30 PM

Diana's "spare" wedding dress is for sale:

https://www.abcnews.go.com/Internatio...ory?id=1326246

pollyemma 11-21-2005 03:00 PM

I'd love to know who will buy it and why???

ksenia 11-22-2005 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollyemma
I'd love to know who will buy it and why???

I don't think you could wear it though so it must be for display or for a museum.

I wonder when her sons marry and they do an exhibition on the dresses will they include hers also?

sara1981 11-22-2005 12:30 AM

that wedding dress more lots of money and expense! you cant afford for it! because more worth by $50,000 but i think about that dress but i cant afford for that dress! but i wont wanted Prince William and Harry upset of his beloved mother's famous wedding dress.

pollyemma 11-23-2005 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I'm not sure that Diana really "nursed" this child at all -- since this was during the very bad period of her marriage, and the Romseys were clearly supporters of Prince Charles.

But Diana probably doted on this poor child when she had the opportunity to do so.

well if the girl died early on in charles and di's marriage things would have still been ok between C and D. it was only in the late 80s when the marriage began to deteriorate that hardline "factions" of their supporters began to be formed.

Warren 11-23-2005 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollyemma
well if the girl died early on in charles and di's marriage things would have still been ok between C and D. it was only in the late 80s when the marriage began to deteriorate that hardline "factions" of their supporters began to be formed.

Hon. Leonora Romsey died October 1991.

pollyemma 11-23-2005 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren
Hon. Leonora Romsey died October 1991.

ok, yeah, there were definitely factions in place by then...

Zonk 11-23-2005 09:31 AM

Wasn't Diana her godmother as well? The Romsey's might be supporters of Charles but you just don't pick anyone to be your child's godmother.

Warren 11-23-2005 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonk1189
Wasn't Diana her godmother as well? The Romsey's might be supporters of Charles but you just don't pick anyone to be your child's godmother.

Leonora was born June 1986 and the Romseys would have been honoured to have the Princess of Wales as a godmother to their daughter.

Humera 11-29-2005 12:23 PM

some pictures of the wedding I scanned a few days ago:

https://img482.imageshack.us/img482/8...ing11nh.th.jpg https://img482.imageshack.us/img482/4...ing28jr.th.jpg https://img482.imageshack.us/img482/6...smal5at.th.jpg

Humera 11-29-2005 02:41 PM

Some more scans
https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3...ng4e6ud.th.jpg https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2...ng4d2ke.th.jpg https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1...ng4i1jk.th.jpg https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8...ng4g9op.th.jpg https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6...ng4b5ec.th.jpg https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6...ng4c0sa.th.jpg https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1...ng4f5sk.th.jpg https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1...ing44kq.th.jpg https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3...ng4h0vq.th.jpg

Royal Fan 11-29-2005 02:59 PM

What Rank is Charles Uniform I Know its Navy but is he a Admiral Sub Leiutenant

Humera 02-17-2006 09:03 PM

screencaps of the wedding

https://img136.imagevenue.com/loc24/t..._a182_copy.JPG https://img140.imagevenue.com/loc24/t..._a183_copy.JPG https://img11.imagevenue.com/loc24/th..._a184_copy.JPG
https://img12.imagevenue.com/loc24/th..._a185_copy.JPG https://img127.imagevenue.com/loc24/t..._a186_copy.JPG https://img102.imagevenue.com/loc24/t..._a187_copy.JPG

Humera 02-17-2006 09:05 PM

and some more

https://img11.imagevenue.com/loc24/th..._a190_copy.JPG https://img45.imagevenue.com/loc24/th..._a191_copy.JPG https://img35.imagevenue.com/loc24/th..._a192_copy.JPG https://img145.imagevenue.com/loc24/t..._a193_copy.JPG
https://img103.imagevenue.com/loc24/t..._a194_copy.JPG https://img136.imagevenue.com/loc24/t..._a195_copy.JPG https://img124.imagevenue.com/loc24/t..._a196_copy.JPG

Gita 02-25-2006 12:56 PM

What do viewers think of Diana's wedding dress? I am not particularly keen on it.

iannis 02-25-2006 01:19 PM

Aren't there any pictures of the (royal) guests?

Gita 02-25-2006 01:23 PM

Good point Iannis. Which forgein royals attended the wedding? Does anyone know?

Princess Luna 02-25-2006 01:26 PM

I was 13 year old when I saw the wedding on TV. And the was the most beautiful weddingdress I ever seen. But now I think the dress its too much.

H.M. Margrethe 02-25-2006 02:16 PM

I still think that it was a shame the marriage did not last. I think it was a wonderful wedding for Diana and Charles just a pitty ther was a "snake" in the middel.

BeatrixFan 02-25-2006 03:45 PM

Diana's dress was hideous. Creases everywhere, huge and meringue like. It was just a ball of silk and chiffon trundling up the aisle.

Let's not use this as an opportunity to have a pop at Camilla eh?

iannis 02-25-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
I still think that it was a shame the marriage did not last. I think it was a wonderful wedding for Diana and Charles just a pitty ther was a "snake" in the middel.

What was the reason to keep being married since someone proved to love and want to marry the snake (i do not adopt the characterisation) and the other being miserable because of that?
If Diana hadn't been killed, I think that it was the most wise thing to do in order to be both happy

Princess BellyFlop 02-25-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Diana's dress was hideous. Creases everywhere, huge and meringue like. It was just a ball of silk and chiffon trundling up the aisle.

Beatrix - you seem to forget that it was the 80s and according to 80s standards it was a beautiful dress that started trends all over the world. Mind you that:
  • She could have used a better coloring such as a less creamy ivory for her dress in order to better suit her magnificent complexion.
  • She could have had a much much better hairdo. Good grief we were in the 80s the paradise of bouffant and gel and.... Nobody but a real tiara with diamonds on a boring regular schoolgirl hairdo! She was marrying the Prince of Wales! If she could afford that long a train than she could have had a better hairstylist!

Jackswife 02-25-2006 06:24 PM

I think another thing about the dress was that it had to be in proportion to the setting at St Paul's. The wedding was a grand occasion in a huge building and the gown had to be "over the top" in such a setting. I actually think the Emanuels were going for another Grace Kelly look and may have overshot it a bit. Diana would have probably looked great in a potato sack but when seen from 2006 the gown does look somewhat unflattering. I think the ivory color was actually a better choice than regular white.

Princess BellyFlop 02-26-2006 12:18 AM

Nice to see that even priceless princesses' dresses sometimes don't age that well.

soCal girl 02-26-2006 12:32 AM

The 80's was a fashion period many of us wish to forget. :D Diana's dress....well as grand and magnificent it was back then, now it's just eeek! The lace and the material were absolutely lovely but the whole look, the poof; it just wasn't right. The sleeves and the puffy dress made Diana look like she was five times her weight. Her face and tiara were very beautiful and in the end she was still a beautiful bride, regardless of the outcome of her marriage.

BeatrixFan 02-26-2006 08:44 AM

Quote:

Beatrix - you seem to forget that it was the 80s and according to 80s standards it was a beautiful dress that started trends all over the world.
I realise the time period. But I remember my grandmother saying that when Diana stepped out of the carriage , she said, "Well I'm sure she's a nice girl but her dress is creased to buggery and back". I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.

Gita 02-26-2006 08:53 AM

Thanks everyone, it is nice to hear peoples opinions.

I know Diana's train was a whooping 25 feet long! I am not sure how to convert that into metres.

soCal girl 02-27-2006 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gita
I know Diana's train was a whooping 25 feet long! I am not sure how to convert that into metres.

I always wondered how she walked in that dress. It was so big! How could you measure your steps with a poof in front and behind you? If she took one step back, she could have tripped on her train. I would have been a nervous wreck just thinking about that. I think recent bridal dresses (royal and not) just make more functional sense.

tiger 02-27-2006 02:32 AM

25 feet are 7,62meters. It was a realy long train.

BeatrixFan 02-27-2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

How could you measure your steps with a poof in front and behind you?
Trust me dear, it's easy when you know how.

corazon 02-27-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger
25 feet are 7,62meters. It was a realy long train.

really long train! she look really precfect, I love her dress and duchess of york's dress.

ingenue 02-27-2006 11:28 AM

i have a question--
she walked into church with the tiara on her veil
and she walked out with the veil pulled back but the tiara still is seen.
i wouldve thought once she pulled back the veil, the tiara wouldve been covered. how did they fix that???

Princess BellyFlop 02-27-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.

You can be so right. Yes we all wanted to find it beautiful. It was my very 1st royal wedding and actually the only one I watched on TV. It was supposed to be a fairy tale and we wanted to see a fairy tale.

For too many years after that many brides were stuck with Diana's style for their wedding dress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingenue
i have a question--
she walked into church with the tiara on her veil
and she walked out with the veil pulled back but the tiara still is seen.
i wouldve thought once she pulled back the veil, the tiara wouldve been covered. how did they fix that???

When they signed the papers some ladies took care of that - making sure the beautiful tiara was not covered and perfectly seen.

They did a similar trick with Sarah as I believe she entered the church with a flower tiara and left with a real one. tadam tadam a flower girl became a real princess.

Christo's Girl 03-01-2006 07:44 PM

When it came to the veil, I have read that Barbara Daly, who did Diana's makeup, actually cut out a part of the veil so not to disturb the tiara.

I cannot believe it has been 25yrs since their engagement day, and that William will be 24 years old this year!

pollyemma 04-14-2006 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I realise the time period. But I remember my grandmother saying that when Diana stepped out of the carriage , she said, "Well I'm sure she's a nice girl but her dress is creased to buggery and back". I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.

I agree. I have read several opinions of the dress published right after the wedding condemning it as being hideous.

I believe there was wide spread concensus at the time that sarah ferguson's dress was better.

I do think this dress probably was more in line with 80s fashion. we would definitely never see diana in this dress had she and charles married 20 years later. she would probably wear something much more streamlined like mathilde or mary.

but beauty is beauty and it does not change with time.

Lady Jean 04-14-2006 01:45 PM

Didn't E. Emanuel say in an interview that Diana's dress was actually based on a sample they already had in their salon? When I look at the photos from 11/18/82, (the event at Hampton Court for Queen Beatrix's visit, where Diana has on the orange sash and sapphire brooch) Diana's white organza dress looks very similar to her wedding gown. I wonder if that is an Emanuel (or someone else, maybe Belleville Sassoon?).

ilovechunky 04-25-2006 01:19 AM

Can't believe she's not with us anymore. How beautiful did she look on her wedding day? God these pictures are making me cry.

Lady Jean 05-04-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Jean
Didn't E. Emanuel say in an interview that Diana's dress was actually based on a sample they already had in their salon? When I look at the photos from 11/18/82, (the event at Hampton Court for Queen Beatrix's visit, where Diana has on the orange sash and sapphire brooch, post 16 in Diana's Jewellery first thread) Diana's white organza dress looks very similar to her wedding gown. I wonder if that is an Emanuel (or someone else, maybe Belleville Sassoon?).

I'm going to answer my own question. Suzy Menkes said D "sent to a dressmaker for an ice-blue chiffon dress..." on that occasion in Nov. 1982. Maybe it was an Emanuel or a Bellville Sassoon, but it does greatly resemble her wedding gown style.

I would still love to see one of the samples the Emanuels would have had in their shop in the spring of 1981...or maybe some magazine advertising or news coverage of their collection from the time.

Squidgy 05-06-2006 10:05 AM

Looks like there will be a documentary out this year about the making of the wedding dress.

https://www.elizabethemanuel.co.uk/html/news_ebay.html

Christo's Girl 05-10-2006 12:20 PM

Diana is my fairytale bride for all time. Yes, the dress was poufy and grand but the lady inside reigned on that day.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises