Worst hat worn by a royal

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pollyemma said:
this is undoubtedly the ugliest hat ever worn by any royal lady ever in all of royal history!:eek: :eek: :eek:
There I agree with you!

Last edited:
I agree Sophie's grey hat is ugly. I don't like this pink hat which wore princess Astrid of Belgium daughter Maria-Laura for Laurent and Claire wedding.

I think the worst hat I've seen on a Royal would have to be the hat worn by the late Queen Mother at the Earl and Countess of Wessex' Wedding

do you have a photo of it? i dont quite remember what it looked like.

It's a tossup between Sophie's gray pie plate, Maxima's petticoat hat and those awful things Laurentien pulled out! Gosh these people are hat challenged.

Oh my God, Sophie's hat really is hideous! Just like she's doing some trick with a plate on her head and it's falling off. But 'Queen' of bad hats is Laurentien, imo. Especially those two she wore at the wedding of P-C and Anita. That blue one! Argh! I would rather call it an unidentified flying object instead of a hat. :rolleyes:

But hey, Mabel as a liftboy is hideous too!

Original source: colourpress.

Iam sorry, but what the HECK is this???????
56639792.jpg

56639156.jpg

56639118.jpg

56639106.jpg

56639095.jpg

I love the flower head piece that she is wearing. I dont understand why it is unpopular among so many people. It is very 60's and retro. I love it a lot.

I have to agree with other opinions that Maxima's red creation at PC's wedding and Sophie's flying saucer hats struck me as the ugliest, but Sophie's hat at Charles and Camilla's church service after their marriage was pretty ghastly too. Camilla wore a hat this past summer, I don't remember the occasion,but it was a large navy hat with feathers on the top and I thought that was ghastly also. I love headpieces, but I just didn't care for Mary's christening head piece maybe because her whole outfit was better suited for a spring or summer event, it was too light for winter. Don't get me wrong it was a pretty outfit.:cool:

rop81 said:
This must be one of the worst hats I´ve ever seen! Also the horrible one of Sophie earlier on this page, just hidious :eek:
What was Maxima thinking of that morning?!? Looks like she has a hat made out of a skirt of one of the can can dancers at Les Follies Bergère :p

Last edited by a moderator:
skhaynie said:
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_molt/3042266993.jpg
I hope this link works. This is one of the worst hats I've EVER seen. And this is the SECOND time, at least, that she's worn it! :eek:

That picture speaks volumes! When I looked at it I thought the soldier was running away from a monster that Camilla also saw, that explains the hair raising effect on that hat :D. Even the eyes on the guard behind Camilla makes you think there is something scary behind that curtain.

Last edited:
Nobody can beat Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands in the bad hat department. But somehow she seems to enjoy her fashion sense so I say more power to her. :)

ysbel said:
Nobody can beat Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands in the bad hat department. But somehow she seems to enjoy her fashion sense so I say more power to her. :)
Oh, definitely more power to Laurentien! I think she is just wonderful, but her outfits and hats are just...eh...interesting. I myself think she'd better not wear hats, because I really like her modern hair style... Here are some of her biggest mistakes in the hat department:

Photos: seegerpress.de

Mark Mabel's hat on the last picture, personally I think it's kind of an unidentified flying object... :rolleyes:

Maxie said:
Oh, definitely more power to Laurentien! I think she is just wonderful, but her outfits and hats are just...eh...interesting. I myself think she'd better not wear hats, because I really like her modern hair style... Here are some of her biggest mistakes in the hat department:

Mark Mabel's hat on the last picture, personally I think it's kind of an unidentified flying object... :rolleyes:

Oh yes, that last one definitely is a winner...of something, I don't know what! :D

The fascinating thing about Laurentien is that she's friends with Martha-Louise and the two women share a love of funky style and unusual color combinations but Martha-Louise is a bit more understated. Laurentien goes all out!

skhaynie said:
Someone mentioned earlier that they disliked the hat that the Queen Mother wore to Edward and Sophie's wedding.
THere is a shot of it on this page.
http://members.tripod.com/~royalty05/album.html
I must admit, I don't like it much either.

The style on Queen Elizabeth's feathery hat looks a lot to the style used by Camilla during her wedding to Prince Charles. Anyone knows if they are from the same company or designer? The feathers go to the side of the head in a spiral style.

On the dear Queen Mum everything she wore is forgiven. :)

Maxie said:

Photos: seegerpress.de

The above hat is worth of it's own zip code. Is that a Hat-brella? (hat + umbrella) or one of the left over tents from Cirque du Soleil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my Oh my...some royals do not have any hat fashion!!! I don't understand how a person picks up a hat and plops it on their head when it looks so bad. I think Maxima's red floofy skirty hat and the silver one with the ENORMOUS flower on it are really bad....but Laurentien has to have got some kind of record.:eek:

must say I have to disagree with the comment about MM hats , I love her style

Danielane said:
The first one is IMO not bad at all, but the outfit makes it bad. With a better and lighteste outfit, it would have been better.

I'm not so sure about the first one, that gigantic blue hat looks more in the style of what a circus clown would wear because of its exagerated proportions.

I think that Mary hair piece at the christening was lovely and she does make a few mistakes now and then but she is always wearing hats that suit her face. My choices would have to be Maxima and Lauretein and Mette Marit who try sometimes to overpower their outfits with huge unsightly creatiosn that dull their outfits!!!!

i must say i didn't like at all the headpiece mary wore in the christening of her son. the rest of the outfit is lovely but the "hat" definetely makes her look as a nurse!
not really fond either of laurentien's hats, maxima's super big hats (i wish both of them chose new designers as they are both really elegant ladies!) and some of those tiny ones mette marit wore.
on the other hand, the best ones in my opinion were definetely wore by duchess camilla or princess alexandra of denmark. those are definetely elegant and modern and they both carry them with elegance and aplomb.

Last edited:
I really liked Mary's headpiece at the christening.
I also liked Camilla's wedding 'hat'. The feathers and crystals were spectacular to see.

skhaynie said:
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_molt/3042266993.jpg
I hope this link works. This is one of the worst hats I've EVER seen. And this is the SECOND time, at least, that she's worn it! :eek:

I only saw her wear it once, I think it looked great until the wind blew. At least our Royal Bride, Camilla looked better than Sophie, Beatrice and Eugenie, who always look as if they are about to disappear inside theirs.:D

I think the problem with the headpiece used by Princess Mary is not so much on the flowery design but on the color. From the pictures it was like a creme or sandy color, beige? off white, eggshell? While the white part on Mary's jacket was white.

If the head garnment was either blue like the jacket or white like the trim of the jacket it would have blended in better. But seems that Mary's mind that day was someplace else because of the mix and match we all have been commenting about all week. Too many colors, too many things going on from head to toes. She is still lovely and beautiful, but that does not mean we have to be blind at this mix and match mismatch. Better luck next time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom