Vanity Fair's International Best-Dressed List

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get how Letizia is on this list! Her first few years, yes, absolutely, she belonged there. She always looked like perfection. Everything was tailored and fit her frame just so. She never missed! These past few years something is just "off" for the most part. She has had some good looks, but for the most part, no. And we won't even go into her choice of shoes. JMHO

Don't get how Letizia is on this list! Her first few years, yes, absolutely, she belonged there. She always looked like perfection. Everything was tailored and fit her frame just so. She never missed! These past few years something is just "off" for the most part. She has had some good looks, but for the most part, no. And we won't even go into her choice of shoes. JMHO

If Michelle O tops the list, why can't Letizia be on the list ? :)

More than surprised how some made it on the best dressed list with what they're wearing, but then there is no accounting for some people's taste. :cool:

Amen to that :D
This list seems to be a thank you to those who gave the fashion journos something to write about, mainly the butt-to-butt walking up the stairs by Letizia and Carla and Michelle's outfits that distracted a bit from the seriousness of the political topics.

Anybody who would have the opportunities these ladys have in terms of access to designers, stylists etc would make it on the list at some point. And they are not even innovative! Carla Bruni wearing french designers :sleeping: and Michelle wearing colourful cardies, wow. Letizia can be called innovative to a degree but unfortunately most of her clothes neither have the quality nor do they suit her body structure, age or position.

If Michelle O tops the list, why can't Letizia be on the list ? :)

Not sure what one has to do with the other:flowers: Although I will say that Michelle is better dressed on a consistent basis than Letizia is. Not everytime. Michelle has come up with some doozies, but for the most part I think she is. JMHO of course.

Not sure what one has to do with the other:flowers:

I was replying to your previous post. Do you get how Michelle O is on the list ? If she is there, why can others be there ? Michelle wore her clothes worse in general than the others on the list IMO. Because they are famous women (Michelle O is the most famous, thus she tops the list), their clothes/shoes were mostly talked about in the media, they made designers famous, helped the brands sell clothes/shoes.

Not sure what one has to do with the other:flowers: Although I will say that Michelle is better dressed on a consistent basis than Letizia is. Not everytime. Michelle has come up with some doozies, but for the most part I think she is. JMHO of course.

Michelle might have more clothes, clothes with higher price tag, but those clothes didn't suit her body nor her position mostly. Colourful cardies were too casual for the first lady, a woman with her body shape shouldn't wear so much belts. She was well dressed during the campaign, but not after becoming the first lady. JMHO of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was replying to your previous post. Do you get how Michelle O is on the list ? If she is there, why can others be there ? Michelle wore her clothes worse in general than the others on the list IMO. Because they are famous women (Michelle O is the most famous, thus she tops the list), their clothes/shoes were mostly talked about in the media, they made designers famous, helped the brands sell clothes/shoes.

My post was about Letizia, not Michelle:flowers: You brought her into the conversation. Of course, anyone can be on it! You posted earlier that 2,000 fashion movers and shakers voted on this, and I'm definitely not one of those! Those that voted feel she should be on the list. I don't agree with them, that's all.

Michelle might have more clothes, clothes with higher price tag, but those clothes didn't suit her body nor her position mostly. Colourful cardies were too casual for the first lady, a woman with her body shape shouldn't wear so much belts. She was well dressed during the campaign, but not after becoming the first lady. JMHO of course.
I agree, Michelle has booty.

My post was about Letizia, not Michelle:flowers: You brought her into the conversation. Of course, anyone can be on it! You posted earlier that 2,000 fashion movers and shakers voted on this, and I'm definitely not one of those! Those that voted feel she should be on the list. I don't agree with them, that's all.

I just think one can't question one person by not looking at the others on the list. If Michelle O can be on it, I don't see why the others on the list can't be there, of course, that's my opinion. Plus this thread is about the discussion on the list, not a particular person.

The list obvioulsy has a purpose, and I believe we can all agree that none of the people on the list are particularly innovative when it comes to their fashion choices. Each of the ladies on the list are, dare I say, popular with the mass media.

While some are questioning why Letizia, Michelle, and Carla are on the list, it should be noted that they are well known here in the US (Letizia particualrly with the incredibly large Hispanic community noteably here in L.A. where she is often mentioned in the news via Telemundo and Univision). However, I'm shocked by the fact that Kelly Ripa :)eek: gasp) made it along with uber-boring and "America's sweetheart" Anne Hathaway, and singer/songwriter Alicia Keys.

Michelle O's clothing prices, like Letizia, varies. Some are thought to be expensive, depending on your personal budget, while other brands such as that cheap clothing company J.Crew are obviously not. Same goes with Letizia.

The most important thing to remember is that when it comes to fashion, it should all be fun. Don't take it seriously including this list. If all of these women played it safe when it comes to fashion...god how boring. I like the fact that many of these women make mistakes... that's the beauty of it. It's all about having fun, and taste is essentially subjective.

Last edited:
GT makes a very good point. Fashion is very subjective. What one can find to be daring and innovative can be seen as ugly and trashy to someone else. While not everyone is going to agree with Vanity Fair's decision to put Michelle Obama, Carla Bruni and Princess Letizia on their list, there is no denying that these women are on the fashion radar. They have their individual styles and they are willing to take risks. If you played it safe, what's so innovative about that and isn't fashion about NOT playing it safe? Where's the fun? Letizia has been routinely trashed here for her platform heels but that's what she likes and it works for her. Hey, it got her on Vanity Fair so obviously it worked out quite well!

GT makes a very good point. Fashion is very subjective. What one can find to be daring and innovative can be seen as ugly and trashy to someone else. While not everyone is going to agree with Vanity Fair's decision to put Michelle Obama, Carla Bruni and Princess Letizia on their list, there is no denying that these women are on the fashion radar. They have their individual styles and they are willing to take risks. If you played it safe, what's so innovative about that and isn't fashion about NOT playing it safe? Where's the fun? Letizia has been routinely trashed here for her platform heels but that's what she likes and it works for her. Hey, it got her on Vanity Fair so obviously it worked out quite well!

Which I find ironic since those types of shoes are quite popular with many fashionistas/fashion forward crowd. Although I'm 5'11" I still love wearing platform heels (in fact I just bought new two pairs: the Bianca 140 Pumps in Ox Blood Red and the Ronda Dina 140 Platform Pumps both by Louboutin.)

Again, the Vanity Fair list is a PR fluff piece, which does have influence in the end. Furthermore, it says a lot that Letizia made it... whether you agree with her style and fashion choices or not you cannot deny that she is definitely becoming known, outside the large Hispanic community, here in the US.

:)

The most important thing to remember is that when it comes to fashion, it should all be fun. Don't take it seriously including this list. If all of these women played it safe when it comes to fashion...god how boring. I like the fact that many of these women make mistakes... that's the beauty of it. It's all about having fun, and taste is essentially subjective.

Couldn't agree with you more!

Which I find ironic since those types of shoes are quite popular with many fashionistas/fashion forward crowd. Although I'm 5'11" I still love wearing platform heels (in fact I just bought new two pairs: the Bianca 140 Pumps in Ox Blood Red and the Ronda Dina 140 Platform Pumps both by Louboutin.)

:)

Oh I am jealous!! You have exquisite taste!

I agree with most of what was said here. Everybody expressed that by a view about a person who in his opinion doesn't fit the definition of one of the best dressed women in the world.

I do agree strongly that those kind of lists are a matter of interests, and what it can bring to both sides. One is not well dressed just because she/he wears clothes from designers. Michelle O and Carla Bruni are ok for me, but not one of the well dressed, i like them more for their figures, than for what they wear. Letizia to me, tries hard to look both fashion and working woman, but don't like most of what she wears, and Sheikha Moza is not a woman that I can call most elegant or well dressed, just because she wears designer clothes which says "m'as tu vu?".

I am surprised that a royal like Mary or Rania, or even syrian or Azrebidjan first ladies are not included in that list this year, imo they are better dressed than any other woman in that list.

I am surprised that a royal like Mary or Rania, or even syrian or Azrebidjan first ladies are not included in that list this year, imo they are better dressed than any other woman in that list.

Queen Rania has made the list before (2006, 2008, and believe another year as well). Besides, she is already well known here in the States unlike Mary who is virtually unknown by the everyday person. Furthermore, I'm not so sure how well that tidbit in that sunday paper sleeve, Parade, made an impact. Since that short piece nothing has really come of it in other major and minor press (but correct me if I'm wrong.) Reasons behind that is quite subjective, but my opinion is supported by the low Danish visabilty in the press (unlike the massive Hispanic population which is reported in both the American english and Spanish speaking press in regards to Letizia.) Now, if Mary were American-born that would be a whole other story. As for her style, like the other ladies on the list, Mary is far from being innovative/trendsetting when it comes to her style. In fact, a majority of royal women are not exactly fashion forward, in my opinion. Trendy, yes. Innovative, original, and inspiring... not really.

Last edited:
Amen to that :D
This list seems to be a thank you to those who gave the fashion journos something to write about, mainly the butt-to-butt walking up the stairs by Letizia and Carla and Michelle's outfits that distracted a bit from the seriousness of the political topics.

Anybody who would have the opportunities these ladys have in terms of access to designers, stylists etc would make it on the list at some point. And they are not even innovative! Carla Bruni wearing french designers :sleeping: and Michelle wearing colourful cardies, wow. Letizia can be called innovative to a degree but unfortunately most of her clothes neither have the quality nor do they suit her body structure, age or position.
I have fully share your opinion. Well ... supporters of Crown Princess Letizia and Sheikha Mozah will be glad to know that the ladies in question have been mentioned in the list. That is all.
Furthermore, I for one think that the style of most Crown Princesses are not innovative or trendsetting. Crown Princesses have a special, shall we say, dress code to adhere to and can not go too far in taking risks in terms of fashion choices.
I'm not a massive fan of Mozah's style, often her clothes are a little flashy and garish. However, the gorgeous evening gown she wore during the recent trip to Paris was a definite style winner. ... [snipped]
I quite agree with you. The key point for me is that Sheikha Mozah manages to pull off flashy garish designer ensembles.

Queen Rania has made the list before (2006, 2008, and believe another year as well).

Rania is not and will not be on the list again because she was inducted to the Hall of Fame in 2006. One is eligible for the Hall of Fame after having been listed in different years. They started this in 1958 so newcomers can have a shot at being named after the Duchess of Windsor and Babe Paley seemed to monopolize the top spot in the 40s and 50s.
The International Best-Dressed List Hall of Fame: Women | vanityfair.com

Besides, she is already well known here in the States unlike Mary who is virtually unknown by the everyday person.
I agree. One of the requirements to being voted in according to the late founder of the list, Eleanor Lambert, was viability by the press (especially American because the list was created in an attempt to boost the American fashion industry during WWII). A man had written to her stating that he believed his wife was better dressed than any of the women on the list that year. Miss Lambert replied that have to be able to see her to judge.

Congrats to Letizia and the Sheika Mozah!!

It doesn't surprise me that Letizia was on the list, she is one of the only Royals who actually chooses unusual and daring styles. Other stend to stick to boring designs that require little imagination imo.

Apparently, the judges appreciate Letizia's fashion choices. She did well considering she does not have a stylist.

Sheikha Mozah does deserve to be on the list, yes she has had weir choices that do stand out and quite elegent.

Letizia got me by suprise, I didnt expect her to make the list since she plays it safe outfit wise, always clean tailored skirts with matching jackets or shirts with suit pants and printed tops. Her looks are always proffesional and working rather than a stylish look IMO but does quite well without a stylist.

I expected Rania to be on the list not because I think she does dress well (lately her outfits are a miss) but because the US magazines love her and she is an Arab role model to them.

Do the judges only choose one outfit to decide on a winner or do they select a few pictures from throughout the year and decide? How does it go?

Rania has been on the list 3 times so cannot be nominated again.

Does that mean they retire her to uber best dressed?
In a way...she becomes eligible in the Hall of Fame to give other women (maybe other royals such as Mathilde last year and Letizia this year) a shot.

I saw this in VF and it was so great to see. Letizia is definitely a royal to watch in the years to come. Some may not like her choices, but she does give Spain a fantastic profile in many ways, imo. Fashion and otherwise.

I loved that Michelle O was on the list. The fact that she (and Letizia for that matter) don't choose just big name labels for their wardrobe and mix in less expensive pieces-is a sign of things to come in the industry, I believe. Particularly in our post-recession future, these two know how to look good without looking overindulgent.

I was surprised too when Letizia made it to the list but hey the judges favoured her style so no comment about that. Her fashion helped spanish designers on the fashion map so I think it's really fantastic. It's not really about the big names in the industry.

I'm happy to see Princess Caroline of Hanover is in the top-list.
Nowadays, her style is associated with Chanel House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom