Vanity Fair's International Best-Dressed List

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to CP Mary! Very well deserved indeed!!!

OOO...I have to get myself a copy. I have a feeling they just list a different crown princess every year for the sake of listing someone from a reigning house. Mathilde made the list two years ago, Letizia last year, Mary this year. I'm betting we'll see Mette-Marit, Maxima and Victoria each appear once in the next three years.

The list leaves much to be desired. Well, it is the Vanity Fair, factory for manufacturing fashion icons (the term, which has lost its true meaning). It is nice to see Duchess of Alba on the list. At the same time, I fail to determine why she is viewed as stylish. ... perhaps there is a quota for a person with a real blue blood. Princess Mafalda of Hesse appears to be a lovely lady. My guess is that Crown Princess Mette-Marit is next to become a stylish lady.

I'm happy to see Princess Caroline of Hanover is in the top-list.
Nowadays, her style is associated with Chanel House.
Caro has been integral in resurrecting the House of Chanel and her association with Lagerfeld an amazing one- She has done a lot for them in as much as they have for her.This lady can truly spell "elegance".

I followed the link to the list and then I read some of the comments and I have to say I have never read such venomous hateful things said about princess Mary.I think someone should report the comments ,I'm not that computer literate or I would.

Well, this year Tatiana Santo Domingo appears in the top. Lady Gaga, Michelle Obama, Carey Mulligan...this list is pointing anything but good taste in clothes, i mean, Tatiana??

I followed the link to the list and then I read some of the comments and I have to say I have never read such venomous hateful things said about princess Mary.I think someone should report the comments ,I'm not that computer literate or I would.

You have to register in order to report abuse.

It also appears that its the same person saying all that hateful things. Notice the ID is always "Joanne."

Helena Bonham Carter is on the list. It's ridiculous.

Caro has been integral in resurrecting the House of Chanel and her association with Lagerfeld an amazing one- She has done a lot for them in as much as they have for her.This lady can truly spell "elegance".
I missed her. Which number is she?

Well, this year Tatiana Santo Domingo appears in the top. Lady Gaga, Michelle Obama, Carey Mulligan...this list is pointing anything but good taste in clothes, i mean, Tatiana??

I agree - especially Lady Gaga. That's not good taste in clothes! That's screaming for attention! And I don't undersand the appeal of Tatiana either.

I'll definately have to pick that issue up at the newstand (even though I despise Lady Gaga, who is on the cover).

The list has a few people IMO who do deserve to be on the list but some shouldn't which makes me think how do editors or people who put the poll together know what they are talking about. Therefore I do bother to care anymore who makes the list or not. It seems they do tend to mix royalty & celebrities where they all fall in different categories IMO.

About Crown Princess Mary, the couldn't even get a few facts right like Labels, Mary has been spotted with 1 Hermes birkin bag and besides 2-3 Chanel pumps/flats&bags that shouldn't fall under category of fav labels since she is more dedicated to the Danish fashion labels like By Malene Birger and Heartmade.

Last edited:
Again...fact checking and getting to know your listees doesn't seem to be that important.

One does wonder if this is a true best dressed list with a few well known names thrown in for publicity. Lady Gaga's style is somewhat out there and its about pushing perceived limits. Thus I would harldy call her best dressed.
Same thing about Britey Spears.

To me some of the people on this list are about getting publicity for the list.

It seems this list is a way to advertise for certain brands, like maybe there the ones really picking the name because that person spends alot of money in there store.

I agree with what was said about Mary, yes she deserves it, but I have only seen her with one Hermes bag one time so theres your typical media crap saying its one of her favorite brands.

From what they have done in the past, the order in which these people appear in the slide-show does not correspond to their rankings. What you also don't see in the slide-show, is that all 45 people fall into some category. The first 20 are probably the women and men that made the best dressed list. The second group are professionals who work in the fashion industry (notice how they all have "designer" listed as their occupation). The third group (which features the seemingly bizarre choices of Lady Gaga and Helena Bohnam Carter) are the "originals", i.e. people who have an independent, unique (or bizarre) style. Then they feature siblings and couples, and I believe the last 5 are people who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. I have to pick up my own copy of Vanity Fair to double-check, but I'm fairly certain these are the categories they use (check out the first slide with the card are last year's slide-show).

The list used to be (40s and 50s) to just include 10 women, but they came up w/ all these categories. Now can cram as many names as they possibly can, probably in hopes people with different interests will see a name they recognize/have an interest in (e.g. Princess Mary for royal watchers like us) and hopefully buy the magazine.

Hi, Marlene. I did follow the link and read the comments and was curious as to why you didn't post anything in regards to or support of Mary. I'm not her biggest fan but I do think, at least in the pictures presented of her, that she is usually dressed well. It seemed to me the "Joanne" and some of the other posters had a VERY poor opinion of Mary and were addressing that rather than her sense of fashion or style. As I don't pay that much attention to her, I can't comment on her as a person and maybe those folks are correct in their assessment of Mary, but the posts, especially by "Joanne", did cross the line from criticisim to threatening IMO.

You have to register in order to report abuse.

It also appears that its the same person saying all that hateful things. Notice the ID is always "Joanne."

It's true that the first four or five posts were signed by "Joanne" but there were several other posts that had the same sentiment each signed by a different name. It could be the same person using different accounts or maybe there are just that many people who really don't care for Mary.

I actually looked at the pictures and couldn't understand more than half of them being on the best-dressed list at all. Best dress for what? Halloween? The Circus? a costume party?

But then I considered the people that are put up as being the best authorities on fashion and style - Rachel Zoe, Andre Leon Talley, Sarah Jessica Parker, Anna Wintour, any of those other ridiculous and IMO hideously-dressed people, and it's no wonder this is the "best-dressed" list. Then when you consider the train wrecks like Britney Spears that have been on the list in recent years and it's easy to see that being on this list is something to be ashamed of.

The only royal member I wish to discuss is Letizia. Sometimes she can look really good, but IMO being stylish is also dressing to the occasion, event, and audience. In most of the non-gala pictures I see, she is way off the mark, being WAY too casual at events where every one else is dressed in professional business attire or too dressed up when she should be toning it down a little. In addition, as proven at the wedding events in Stockholm in June, whether it is a physical, emotional, or mental condition, she is shockingly too thin which can be distracting from her overall appearance. I thought she looked great in the red dress (I think she looks great in red) until I saw the pictures from the back. As someone who has had two loved ones battle with eating disorders, I speak with authority...she has a problem. Shameful that they name her to a best-dressed list and encourage other young people to emulate a skeletal appearance because they believe that is beautiful.

Finally...those shoes. First of all, Letizia is not a short woman. Secondly, I don't care what any fashion person says...shoes like that only do two things...make you look shorter because they make your feet look HUGE and draw all the attention to your Frankenstein feet OR they make you look fat like Miss Piggy. I have nothing to gain by saying this, so I can be completely honest...THOSE SHOES DON'T LOOK GOOD ON ANYONE!!!

I feel better now.

Congrats to this year's winners! Next year Princess Beatrice, wheeeehee!!!

I can't believe Lady Gaga (GAG) is on the list. IMO she's just weird person who doesn't have any dignity.

I can't believe Lady Gaga (GAG) is on the list. IMO she's just weird person who doesn't have any dignity.
She's got a good figure and is the designers darling. I think that is who votes sometimes: designers.

If I were famous I would rather not be included in this list. Not something to strive for to be among this group. Perhaps it should be call "most interestingly dressed".

She's got a good figure and is the designers darling. I think that is who votes sometimes: designers.

I think everyone with a Vanity Fair subscription should have a vote on who makes the list. lol and as for the designers, they won't get a vote. (wishful thinking)

I can´t take this best dressed list seriously as it seems to have the Duchess of Alba on it.
As a young woman she was stunning and probably had good dress sense but these days she wears the strangest outfits it is possible to imagine, very eccentric and not what I would class as "nice eccentric" unfortunately she usually looks horrific.

Where is Queen Rania? Where is Princess Letizia? And what the hell is The Duchess of Alba doing on this list? For God's sake!

Where is Queen Rania?
Rania was inducted into the Hall of Fame a few years ago, so she will never appear on the list again. In a sense, her fashion has been so good, she has been retired to other women have a shot at being named.

Neither Queen Rania nor Letizia have worn anything thaty specutacular this year, but there are some people on that list who do not deserve to be on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom