Stylists for royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linneatherose

Gentry
City
Bowling Green
Country
United States
So, sometimes I think royals dress AMAZINGLY, and other times, even the best of them are dressed TERRIBLY. It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I wonder if royals use stylists. I would assume that there are written or unwritten guidelines as to what is suitable for formal occasions... does anyone know the answer to this one?;)

I believe a majority of the Crown Princesses employ a stylist. Case and point: Mary. Her stylist, Anja, with whom she has worked with since her marriage to Frederik, has done an okay job from my point of view. There are some clothes , styled by Anja, that Mary has worn that look amazing; other times not so much.

Queen Rania has a stylist. Letizia doesn't have a stylist. I'm not certain abotu any of the others.

I think that all royals have stylists to care for their wardrobe and must haves. Style is nurtured and developed like any other skills. Natural grace on the other hand is born with a person.:)

Some time even a dozen stylists can't make soemthin gof person if he /she isn't born with natural grace..

Jacky.O was born with natural grace and developed a the best sense of elegence and tase in fashion through her life.A royal without a title that is .

Last edited:
Does some one know if those stylist work for every occasion including informal event, daily event or just for special occasion or formal event??.

salwa said:
I think that all royals have stylists to care for their wardrobe and must haves. Style is nurtured and developed like any other skills. Natural grace on the other hand is born with a person.:)
Some time even a dozen stylists can't make soemthin gof person if he /she isn't born with natural grace...
Agree, I could see some royals and riches who have own stylist and money to boost their best presence but still look awkward:eek:.

galuhcandrakirana said:
Does some one know if those stylist work for every occasion including informal event, daily event or just for special occasion or formal event??.

I would guess that the stylist would advise 'their' royal on daytime outfits yet not push them into choosing something but maybe they work harder on outfits for the formal gala events and things like that. ;)
I don't know but maybe someone does :confused:
Thanks!

what about British Royal Family?

late Diana,Princess of Wales have lots of stylists since her marriages to Prince Charles in 1981 and she become glamorous of her evening dress and daytime dress but she earned of her dresses after she divorces from Prince Charles in 1981 and she still stylists of her clothing till her death in 1997.Diana have recycling of her evening dress in years and also dress too.

im not sure about Sarah,Duchess of York's stylish? but she have some few stylish clothing since her marriages in 1986 but she looks so glamorous after she divorces from Prince Andrew what she wores of her outfits.

Sophie,Countess of Wessex have good stylish since her marriages to Prince Edward in June 19,1999 and she still earning dress properly and hats but she always respect to HM Queen

Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall got some stylish not lots because she love recycling clothes all the times when she wores in the public.

im not sure about member of British Royal Family have any stylish of her clothing

Thanks all! If only they all had HRH Madeleine's taste!

Little_star said:
Queen Rania has a stylist. Letizia doesn't have a stylist. I'm not certain abotu any of the others.

May i ask, how do you know that Rania does have one & Letizia doesnt? is it the way they dress?

No Merely I've read of Rania having a stylist, it was when she first became Queen, whether she still has a stylist I don't know.

As for Letizia, I can recally several articles that talk of the fact that she has no personal staff and that includes a stylist.

Little_star said:
No Merely I've read of Rania having a stylist, it was when she first became Queen, whether she still has a stylist I don't know.

As for Letizia, I can recally several articles that talk of the fact that she has no personal staff and that includes a stylist.

intresting info.
It did look like Rania has a stylist at the begining but doesnt look like she has one anymore, could be wrong. but as for letizia, its intresting knowing that she does not have any personal staff, id think she'd have a few.

dazzling said:
intresting info.
It did look like Rania has a stylist at the begining but doesnt look like she has one anymore, could be wrong. but as for letizia, its intresting knowing that she does not have any personal staff, id think she'd have a few.
Let me clarify, I've read ( on this forum) that the Princess has no personal staff in the sense of a private secretary, lady-in-waiting, stylist etc. unlike other Royals. However, I don't imagine that includes domestic staff.
This is mainly due to the budget that she and Felipe receive from the King, it's believed to be smaller than other Royals.

Little_star said:
Let me clarify, I've read ( on this forum) that the Princess has no personal staff in the sense of a private secretary, lady-in-waiting, stylist etc. unlike other Royals. However, I don't imagine that includes domestic staff.
This is mainly due to the budget that she and Felipe receive from the King, it's believed to be smaller than other Royals.

They may have smller budget than other Royals, but they do have enough to ran all they houses. I do not believe that Letizia does the cleaning and the ironing herself ...........:bang:

For the stylist she should have someone. We never see her going on shopping, and to buy all the wardrobe she is carrying, you need time...... She should have at least a "shopper" how can she know all the clothes exisying in the market? You need centuries to be aware about new fashion.....

fandesacs2003 said:
They may have smller budget than other Royals, but they do have enough to ran all they houses. I do not believe that Letizia does the cleaning and the ironing herself ...........:bang:
If you had read my post you would have noticed that I said that I doubt that includes domestic staff.

fandesacs2003 said:
For the stylist she should have someone. We never see her going on shopping, and to buy all the wardrobe she is carrying, you need time...... She should have at least a "shopper" how can she know all the clothes exisying in the market? You need centuries to be aware about new fashion.....
She has been seen shopping, the recent pictures of her at the Felipe Varela boutique demonstrate that. However, I suspect she does what other Royals do and has designers visit her. That way she is able to choose what she likes herself. Moreover as she tends to stick to a handful of designers that would be quite easy.

clothing choices

Do you think when the crown princes or other royal women have a choice as outfits they were in public ,or gala balls, and etc., or do they have someone who chooses for them and has everything ready for them to wear?

Just wondering, epecially the crown princesses during their first year of marriage is everything done for them to help learn the royal ropes. Just thinking that is maybe why we see styling changes as just the right outfits and styles are being found for them.

you mean a stylist...
If you go back to the fashion threads of a few CP's such as Mary, than ull get info on her stylist's and a few magazine articles etc

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that in the first years of the marriage princesses are not 'allowed' to choose what they wear. Some people do it for them but perhaps later they can make their own choice.
It's the case for Diana. In the 80's she couldn't really select what she wanted but in the 90's she imposed her style (we know that in that period she weared more Versace, Valentino, Chanel, whereas before she was more in Edelstein's or Oldfield's dresses).
Diana's style and fashion -* from the Diana, a celebration exhibition.
As for other princesses I don't have a good notion of their style.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot... as an American we are told in the media or school little about royalty. Great Britian and Spain were about the only countries I knew that had royal families.

Of course the most we talk about is Quenn Isabella of Spain and that is just because we studied Christopher Columbus.

One of Diana's favorite fashion designers, Catherine Walker :
Catherine Walker

Royal Fashion Consultants

Do Royals consult the fashion consultants?

Stylists? - Yes.

I think stylists are fine for certain times and events. Like when Victoria was engaged she has never looked more beautiful . I do however like the royals who have their own distinct style like maxima she know herself and wears what makes her happy and she feels good in. I think Kate has her own style and sticks to it no trying every trend that comes out .

I also think it is fine that royals have stylists. I, for one, would need a stylist if I were a royal. They can afford help in anything, so a helping hand for a neat and elegant look that can flatter one's body type is certainly an important feature for royals.

letizia has a stylist now, i am not sure if she did when she started. her name is Eva Fernández and she worked for magazines vogue and cosmopolitan in the past.

Eva Fernández, la estilista que ha fichado la Reina Letizia | loc | EL MUNDO

she also has a hairdresser, Luz Valero, although it is unclear if she just 'cuts her hair' or she also styles it everyday or when she goes on trips.

Thank you for the information. What about the Young Royals like the Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg, Princess Maria Laura of Belgium, Princesses of York, Duchess Catherine? do they have stylists?. And Besides, does a Royal Stylist need to have a degree in Fashion designing?

Thank you for the information. What about the Young Royals like the Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg, Princess Maria Laura of Belgium, Princesses of York, Duchess Catherine? do they have stylists?. And Besides, does a Royal Stylist need to have a degree in Fashion designing?

i believe that beatrice hired a fashion stylist a couple of years ago, her clothing improved significantly. her name, from google searches, is Charlie Anderson.

as for kate, i believe she has a lady who helps her with the organization of her wardrobe and ordering clothes in, Natasha Archer, but as far as we know kate chooses what to wear herself. Natasha Archer is just there to order potential clothes and give suggestions, and then kate decided and natasha resends whatever is not needed. so she is a semi-stylist, but does not tell kate what to wear.

regarding their background, i think a degree in fashion design would probably help, although i guess their main characteristic is that they know the fashion industry well, i do not think there is a set path to becoming a royal stylist. they seem to come from a variety of backgrounds in that industry.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you Carlota!.

Do The Royals have any protocol or rules for their fashion?

:previous: Being a stylist requires a very nebulous sort of skill set. Someone "qualified" that can pick and follow the trends may very well be absolutely of no use whatsoever if their client is not shaped like a model.

The knowledge of their client and the various types of events she will be required to dress for is essential, as are the dictates of socially acceptable standards. My niece can pick a limp rag off a rack and when it is tried on it is brilliant, yet never would I have given it a second glance. Not surprisingly she is our default "stylist".

You only have to look at QEII stylist who started out as her dresser. Over the years, she has got to know her, her likes and dislikes, what works for her and what doesn't, and what accessories she wants and needs.

Finding that sort of person for a younger royal is very much harder I think because it requires them to totally subjugate their own personal likes and dislikes and concentrate only on what's best for their client. Often when you see a royal wearing something that you know you should like because it ticks almost all the boxes, but you don't. And the reason you don't is that the box it didn't tick is the wearer. It is not their style, not the type of ensemble you see them in and they don't look very comfortable.

Diana, strangely enough, had pretty much a free hand from the outset. HM sent her someone to advise, Diana sent her back. People forget that the ghastly aqua polka dot tent with a big collar that she wore when she left the hospital after the birth of William, was actually on trend for that social strata. The fact that it was the 80's explains the rest!

Diana, strangely enough, had pretty much a free hand from the outset. HM sent her someone to advise, Diana sent her back. People forget that the ghastly aqua polka dot tent with a big collar that she wore when she left the hospital after the birth of William, was actually on trend for that social strata. The fact that it was the 80's explains the rest!

thanks for the reality check - i would never have thought that something so hideous was in trend ever! :)

Back
Top Bottom