Royal Ties: The Bad and the Ugly

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leidi

Serene Highness
City
Country
United Arab Emirates
I searched and didn't see a thread that addresses this particular topic (and if we have one for hats and shoes, why not one for ties? :D ) so I decided to make it, if the mods see it is repeated then please delete :flowers:

We do a lot of critics on women's fashion, men usually have it easy and get away with a lot of things. :D :whistling:

This thread is about the worse tie/shirt combos you can find, stripped, bad colors, ugly patterns...

The idea came from seeing my beloved Philippe, he's perfect in virtually any way :D except in most of his tie choices...

http://i.imgur.com/5CF7H.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hDhB4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yPNGz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/f64Y4.jpg

(he has a propensity of wearing stripped/checkered shirts with weirdly patterned ties :lol: )

http://i.imgur.com/RpTwd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WQkc6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tczRA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Bz1gm.jpg

I don't meant for him to wear grey or black ties all the time but he has to know how to match them :lol:

(All the pics come from Corbis, Getty Images, PurePeople, Hola! and older posts in the forum)

I like the ties he's wearing. I guess it's a matter of opinion. To each his own.

I agree that a patterned tie paired with a striped shirt is a big no-no, it must be hard for the men who can only wear a suit. There are only so many shirt and tie combinations available, they have to have a troubled pair upon occasions!

This is one the ties that Charles wears that I am not a fan of at all, and it appears it is a firm favourite of his:
1, 2 + 3

Prince Edward wears some questionable ties, though is are known for their sense of humour!

Farm animals?, His horse Ascot tie + This is just plain awful.

Out of the Royal brothers, Andrew appears to have quite good tie-sense. He often does a plain shirt with a nice coloured tie. Good job, Andy!

I agree that a patterned tie paired with a striped shirt is a big no-no, it must be hard for the men who can only wear a suit. There are only so many shirt and tie combinations available, they have to have a troubled pair upon occasions!

This is one the ties that Charles wears that I am not a fan of at all, and it appears it is a firm favourite of his:
1, 2 + 3

Prince Edward wears some questionable ties, though is are known for their sense of humour!

Farm animals?, His horse Ascot tie + This is just plain awful.

Out of the Royal brothers, Andrew appears to have quite good tie-sense. He often does a plain shirt with a nice coloured tie. Good job, Andy!

That tie that Prince Charles seems to favor hurts my eyes. Wowzahs :eek:. Earl of Wessex has some funny ties, and I love that in some instances they go with the event he's at; such as wearing a tie with horses at a day at the races :D. I have a feeling that some of the ties are chose by his kids :lol:.

Now, I really love this tie on the Duke of Cambridge. I think that he looks good in blue:

Sports - Photo Gallery - Yahoo! Sports

It's a nice change from his usual maroon :D.

Molly, I completely agree with you on all those choices. Prince Edward is indeed something of a repeat offender when it comes to bad ties. :lol:

I think the Duke of Cambridge has quite good taste in ties - I can't really remember any of his that stood out to me as being bad (though I suspect I've perhaps overlooked or forgotten some).

That tie that Prince Charles seems to favor hurts my eyes. Wowzahs :eek:. Earl of Wessex has some funny ties, and I love that in some instances they go with the event he's at; such as wearing a tie with horses at a day at the races :D. I have a feeling that some of the ties are chose by his kids :lol:.

Now, I really love this tie on the Duke of Cambridge. I think that he looks good in blue:

Sports - Photo Gallery - Yahoo! Sports

It's a nice change from his usual maroon :D.

I think Edward's children perhaps help him with his tie choices too. The thought of that is too adorable for words. The tie he wore to the christenings of his children is cute though: Louise + James. Makes me wonder if it was a gift...?

William in that tie is lovely. That is what I like; a crisp white shirt and a nice plain tie. Where do the other men go wrong?

Awful combination by Harry: Eeek

Even the younger generation don't always get it right, check out Samuel and Arthur Chatto's (sons of The Lady Sarah Chatto, Princess Margaret's daughter) tie combinations: Samuel and Arthur Chatto. Samuel's is my least favourite (the taller boy in the image). I do LOVE little boys in suits though, and the Chatto brothers, along with Charles Armstrong-Jones, look very dappy in their suits. Look forward to the day we see Viscount Severn in a suit. *fingers crossed for Christmas*.

I think the Duke of Cambridge has quite good taste in ties - I can't really remember any of his that stood out to me as being bad (though I suspect I've perhaps overlooked or forgotten some).

Oh, I would never say that Wills has a bad taste in ties, actually I almost always agree with his choices. I just meant that he has been wearing a maroon tie for quite a while, so I was happy about a change.

Oh, I would never say that Wills has a bad taste in ties, actually I almost always agree with his choices. I just meant that he has been wearing a maroon tie for quite a while, so I was happy about a change.

Oh, my comment wasn't meant as a direct response to yours, it was more of just a general thought. :)

Speaking of William's favourite tie, I discovered a website talking ALL about it! Prince William and his tie. Made me giggle.

Found another crack of a tie for Edward: ...?

A tie is quite a standard gift for men, so I imagine the men receive a lot of ties from their wives and other women in their family.

You are right Isabella, Edward is DEFINITELY a repeat offender when it comes to tie choices.

Speaking of William's favourite tie, I discovered a website talking ALL about it! Prince William and his tie. Made me giggle.

Found another crack of a tie for Edward: ...?

A tie is quite a standard gift for men, so I imagine the men receive a lot of ties from their wives and other women in their family.

You are right Isabella, Edward is DEFINITELY a repeat offender when it comes to tie choices.

Oh, I was right in regards to Wills' favorite tie :ROFLMAO:. That website is hysterical :D. In regards to Edward, I wonder if his ties are his way of expressing his personality. When you have to wear a suit pretty much all the time, a tie may be the only way to be a bit 'different'. Now, I'd love to know if the tie he's wearing in the picture was one of those funny Christmas gifts that the family exchanges.

Prince Edward's ties are UGLY :lol: and it's weird to see those kind of ties on Prince Charles, he's usually a very well dressed man in my opinion.

Molly2101 said:
I think Edward's children perhaps help him with his tie choices too. The thought of that is too adorable for words. The tie he wore to the christenings of his children is cute though: Louise + James. Makes me wonder if it was a gift...?

My thought exactly. Edward wears ties like a man whose kids are part of his morning routine ...so he gets all kind of slack. Much like a mom wearing a macaroni or paperclip necklace from her kids craft class.

My thought exactly. Edward wears ties like a man whose kids are part of his morning routine ...so he gets all kind of slack. Much like a mom wearing a macaroni or paperclip necklace from her kids craft class.

I think it's also due to his personality, he seems like a likable person, very approachable unlike his older brothers and I guess that reflects on his tie choices :lol:

leidi said:
I think it's also due to his personality, he seems like a likable person, very approachable unlike his older brothers and I guess that reflects on his tie choices :lol:

Princess Anne wears a black necktie and white dress shirt with her military uniform. (I wonder if her tie is clip-on?)

Last edited:
I sometimes feel sorry for men/fathers, from an early age they are doomed to receive ties, socks and underpants for gifts EVERY birthday and christmas untill they die. ;-)
I respect Edward for being man enough to wear a tie that is so clearly a gift from his children and I bet they love it. He strikes me as a man very devoted to his family and that is IMO a very good quality.

olebabs said:
I sometimes feel sorry for men/fathers, from an early age they are doomed to receive ties, socks and underpants for gifts EVERY birthday and christmas untill they die. ;-)
I respect Edward for being man enough to wear a tie that is so clearly a gift from his children and I bet they love it. He strikes me as a man very devoted to his family and that is IMO a very good quality.

Not to mention dress shirts, pants, belts and dress shoes!

Oh my word that tie with that shirt has made my eyes hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom