Old Fashion Discussion Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the peplum suit is my favorite although she looked great in both.

Considering that Maxima struggles at times with her daytime look, I have to say that she was perfect for both of the funerals.

absolutely Princess Maxima Looks Wonderful In Both Outfits , So Elegant & Chic The Black Color Very Nice On Her

Really nice to go back and have a look. Thank you it's a great review. :flowers:

Thank you for the fashion retrospective, UKroyalist. That Jenny Packham gown remains my all-time favorite, while the black lace gown is the worse.

Last edited:
She's had a pretty good year. The pink Peckham dress was by far the nicest. Also, some suit dresses were pretty nice. Some very sleek outfits.
But damn should she never wear black lace again. The Temperley dress she wore to the War Horse premier is so effin' ugly it hurts my eyeballs.

Colour sweetie, colour.

As the 1st anniversary is rapidly approaching, I've put together a little fashion review of the Duchess. I'd love to know what you all think!

1 Year on – the wedding, the title and the wardrobe « Happy and Glorious!

The Birmingham in August after the rioting - that Alexander McQueen did not looked 'refined' to me. Total mistake for a variety of reasons. An obvious 'fashion statement' on a visit that should have downplayed fashion for PC reasons (in this case). And just in general I thought it was a silly dress.

The Birmingham in August after the rioting - that Alexander McQueen did not looked 'refined' to me. Total mistake for a variety of reasons. An obvious 'fashion statement' on a visit that should have downplayed fashion for PC reasons (in this case). And just in general I thought it was a silly dress.

I didn't (and still don't) care for that particular choice of attire. It was just plain ugly, and the top part reminded me of the uniforms used by Russian army in the time of Peter I.

My least favourite is the ensemble she wore for Zara's wedding; that hat spoiled the whole look.
I wish the royal ladies would bury all their satellite dishes in a deep and unmarked grave.

I like all her outfits except the war horse premier and the blue Jean like dress, I like the one she wore in Ireland as well as the one of her us tour.

My favourite outfits have to be the Irish Guards Medal Parade and the visit to Birmingham. I just love those outfits, the military style is my favourite. My "dislike" outfits are the one worn to Liverpool, to Fortnum and Mason and at The Epsom Derby.

They missed out the overseas tour outfits though, so I might go on a hunt for them.

Canada outfits;
Leaving for Canada
Arrival in Canada
Day 2 Outfit
Day 2 Evening
Day 3 Outfit
Day 4 Outfit
Day 4 Outfit No2
Day 5 Outfit No1
Day 5 Outfit No2
Day 5 Outfit No3
Day 6 Outfit
Day 6 Outfit No 2
Day 6 Outfit No 3
Day 7 Outfit
Day 8 Outfit
Day 8 Outfit No2
Leaving Outfit

Canada;
Day 1 Outfit
Day 2 Outfit
Day 2 Evening
Day 3 Outfit

Last edited:
Splendid job, Tyger. A great overview of the Duchess's fashion, and food for thought about what's emerging as her style. She certainly prompts many different responses (I don't care at all for the military dress look). I do like her cream colored outfit at the Trooping, though.

I just don't get this logic. The Queen wears custom made, unique clothing including hat and £1,000 Launer handbag when she visits everyone. That's before we take into account the pearl necklace, pearl and diamond earrings and priceless brooch. She wears all this to visit some of the poorest parts of Britain, to visit the victims of the 7/7 bombings in London, to visit Omagh where 29 people including unborn twins were slaughtered by terrorists.

Kate puts on a pretty conservative, well made, attractive skirt and blouse to visit the victims of riots and people take issue with it. All she did was wear some of her best clothes to visit these people, as they would do if they were going to SJP to visit her. In that way she was basically paying them a massive compliment, and the people she met certainly weren't complaining afterwards about her 'unrefined' outfit.

It's one thing to not like it, quite another to somehow try and imply that she insulted the people she was meeting.

My least favourite is the ensemble she wore for Zara's wedding; that hat spoiled the whole look.
I wish the royal ladies would bury all their satellite dishes in a deep and unmarked grave.

Totally agree. Those hats have long since stopped being 'aw cute'. In some cases they completely detract from or obscure some very fine fashion otherwise.

I hold Mrs Cameron in high regard solely because she refrained from wearing anything close to such a thing on her head for William's and Kate's wedding. (Wonder what the conversation was in the Cameron household that morning - 'Honey, its all the rage, all the other ladies will be wearing one.' 'NO.' My hero. ;) )

Splendid job, Tyger. A great overview of the Duchess's fashion, and food for thought about what's emerging as her style. She certainly prompts many different responses (I don't care at all for the military dress look). I do like her cream colored outfit at the Trooping, though.

Mmm-hmm.......point taken. :D (My excuse was that I was on my way out for a run and answered quickly. :innocent:)

I have liked when she dresses elegantly, without fusses and bothers. Some of her gowns have been splendid. She has yet to develop a signature style, I think - like Charlene of Monaco has already done. No rush.

Last edited:
My favourite outfits have to be the Irish Guards Medal Parade and the visit to Birmingham. I just love those outfits, the military style is my favourite. My "dislike" outfits are the one worn to Liverpool, to Fortnum and Mason and at The Epsom Derby.

They missed out the overseas tour outfits though, so I might go on a hunt for them.

Canada outfits;
Leaving for Canada
Arrival in Canada
Day 2 Outfit
Day 2 Evening
Day 3 Outfit
Day 4 Outfit
Day 4 Outfit No2
Day 5 Outfit No1
Day 5 Outfit No2
Day 5 Outfit No3
Day 6 Outfit
Day 6 Outfit No 2
Day 6 Outfit No 3
Day 7 Outfit
Day 8 Outfit
Day 8 Outfit No2
Leaving Outfit

Canada;
Day 1 Outfit
Day 2 Outfit
Day 2 Evening
Day 3 Outfit

Gorgeous Pictures Combination , Duchess Of Cambridge She’s Very Stylish Lady , The Most Important Thing She Always Choose The Most Suitable Outfit On her , and She Have Beautiful Structure For Sure , I Like Very Much The Pic Day 6 Outfit No 2 Very Beautiful Shot and Sooo Warm , The Couple Looks So Nice , and The Most Outfit I Like Is Canada Day 2 Evening , and The Most Casual Dress Nice and Elegant is Arrival In Canada & Day 3 Outfit , Thank you for Posting Lumutqueen :flowers:

Last edited:
I think my favorite gown is the one the Queen Mum wore in Rhodesia.

Last edited:
:previous:
That picture was taken during the royal visit to Australia of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in 1954. Her Majesty wore that gown designed by Norman Hartnell for an event at Sydney Town Hall on the third day of her first visit to Australia, on 5 February 1954, as well as for an official photograph taken a couple of days later (the picture in your post).

The photograph of the Queen wearing the dress features in the official commemorative book, "Royal Visit to Australia of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, 1954".

Last edited:
Love the "tradition" of matching evening gowns to events and places - Australian gold plus what looks like wattle embroidered on it. The EII brooches thread recently showed the beautiful wattle brooch QEII was given when she became queen. Looks like the same design.

:previous:
That picture was taken during the royal visit to Australia of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh in 1954. Her Majesty wore that gown designed by Norman Hartnell for an event at Sydney Town Hall on the third day of her first visit to Australia, on 5 February 1954, as well as for an official photograph taken a couple of days later (the picture in your post).

The photograph of the Queen wearing the dress features in the official commemorative book, "Royal Visit to Australia of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, 1954".

Thanks for the info Artemisia. Has the Queen ever looked better than this? I doubt it; just a stunning photograph of a stunning lady.

Crown Princess Mary and her pants - mostly good choices:

** BB gallery: Mary i bukser **

Very Very Nice Pictures Combination , She Looks Very Nice Elegant With Pants , Most of Her Pants Choices It Was Successful , I Think Height waist Pants Design Looks Soo Nice On her Body Shape , She Looks In all Pants Outfits Fantastic Very Elegant & Chic , Thank you for posting iceflower :flowers:

Queen Noor Old Nice Picture
http://i40.tinypic.com/majl6x.jpg
http://www.photius.com/images/jo04_03c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Artemisia. Has the Queen ever looked better than this? I doubt it; just a stunning photograph of a stunning lady.
You're welcome. :)
The Queen does look absolutely stunning in the picture, as she usually did in Norman Hartnell creations: the man was a true artist!
My favourite will always be this stunning gown which is a triumph of craftsmanship (I wish I had bigger photographs):
- The gown
- Side few
- Close up

Last edited:
Another amazing dress, Artemisia. Any pics of her wearing it? I ask because you're such a fountain of facts and pictures. :flowers:

Another amazing dress, Artemisia. Any pics of her wearing it? I ask because you're such a fountain of facts and pictures. :flowers:
Her Majesty has unfortunately completely neglected this gorgeous gown; it was worn on only handful of occasions. In fact, the only picture of the Queen wearing it is from her 1957 tour of the United States; she wore the dress to an evening event, accompanied by Vice President (future President) Richard Nixon
- The Queen and Richard Nixon.

I have fortunately located some better pictures of the gown too:
- The gown - Bodice - Side view of the bodice
- The skirt - Side view of the skirt - Details

Another breath-taking gown worn by Her Majesty in 1950's (again, by Norman Hartnell) is the gorgeous cream gown with gold detailing, including French flowers of the field. This dress hasn't been neglected at all; the Queen wore it on a number of occasions, the first being during visit to France.
- The gown - Side view - Back view
- Close up - The bodice - Details - Close up of the details
- The Queen wearing the gown in April of 1957, during her official visit to France

The embroidery does take one's breath away! And the back-view is simply gorgeous with that huge bow detail. It must weigh a ton, however, and it would seem to me to be rather uncomfortable to have to sit on it for any length of time. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom