The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1781  
Old 05-18-2018, 09:24 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,806
I think the thing about symbols is that less is more. While I liked Sarah's dress (minus the shoulder bows) a lot more than I liked Diana's (a crumpled mess) she rather overdid the symbols, especially when you looked at the number of them in close up.There was nothing subtle about her usage of them--kind of like Sarah herself: nothing subtle.

So if there are symbols used in Meghan's dress, I hope that they are used sparingly, and in a restrained way.
__________________

  #1782  
Old 05-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Rochester, United Kingdom
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Fingers crossed for a bateau neckline!


LaRae
That would look lovely!
__________________

  #1783  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:01 AM
W.Y.CII's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 。, Hong Kong
Posts: 787
Yes bateau neckline please. Speaking of neckline I also like the one of Sophie of Liechtenstein, simple design with lovely and smooth curve.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/ac...babb99cd36.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/cf...c588e40aaf.jpg (can it be counted as bateau neckline?)
  #1784  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Bine221's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
What a fun app! I like her best in Victoria's and Charlene's.
Same for me!!!
BYe Bine
  #1785  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Purrs's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Yes bateau neckline please. Speaking of neckline I also like the one of Sophie of Liechtenstein, simple design with lovely and smooth curve.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9b/ac...babb99cd36.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/cf...c588e40aaf.jpg (can it be counted as bateau neckline?)
A bateau neckline is straight across. I would call the neckline on Sophie of Liechtenstein's a "high" sweetheart with sleeves. A sweetheart neckline is a v neckline that follows the curves of the breasts. Usually is it much lower and it seems to be the most popular neckline in bridal gowns. The other name you could call it is a modified v neck.

This explains the different types of wedding dress necklines and other elements.
https://www.preownedweddingdresses.c...dress-101.html

Also this page. BTW "bateau" is French for "boat".
http://www.kalistaweddings.com/weddi...and-body-type/

Bateau necklines were created by Coco Chanel. She was inspired by the necklines on sailor uniforms, with the wide neck supposed to make quick removal easier if they went overboard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat_neck
  #1786  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:36 AM
EloisevonLippe's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: *****, Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 149
So, instead of speculation using designer examples, here are some examples of actual royal and aristocratic wedding dresses that may suit Meghan:


Letizia of Spain (but with a different neckline) - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JrxfLN_wVp...az_letizia.jpg

Margarethe of Denmark - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TcAZ82QRss...0/DSCN5485.JPG

Charlene of Monaco - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...eg?imwidth=450

Mary of Denmark - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/53/88...ff09caa06e.jpg

Victoria of Sweden - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/a9...4f2baa7d26.jpg

Alexandra Knatchbull (with a shot of Charles getting ready to walk her down the aisle) - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6860550909.jpg

Maxima of the Netherlands - https://i.pinimg.com/736x/86/ab/37/8...l-weddings.jpg

Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece (the bottom portion ONLY with a plain silk bodice with a bateau neckline) - https://www.ecestaticos.com/imagesta...ime=1435663382

And possibly my favourite, Lady Charlotte Wellesley - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/98/8d...cf38e35413.jpg
  #1787  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Salisbury, United Kingdom
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EloisevonLippe View Post
So, instead of speculation using designer examples, here are some examples of actual royal and aristocratic wedding dresses that may suit Meghan:


Letizia of Spain (but with a different neckline) - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JrxfLN_wVp...az_letizia.jpg

Margarethe of Denmark - http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TcAZ82QRss...0/DSCN5485.JPG

Charlene of Monaco - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...eg?imwidth=450

Mary of Denmark - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/53/88...ff09caa06e.jpg

Victoria of Sweden - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/a9...4f2baa7d26.jpg

Alexandra Knatchbull (with a shot of Charles getting ready to walk her down the aisle) - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/...6860550909.jpg

Maxima of the Netherlands - https://i.pinimg.com/736x/86/ab/37/8...l-weddings.jpg

Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece (the bottom portion ONLY with a plain silk bodice with a bateau neckline) - https://www.ecestaticos.com/imagesta...ime=1435663382

And possibly my favourite, Lady Charlotte Wellesley - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/98/8d...cf38e35413.jpg
Call me old fashioned (most people do) but I rather like the traditional look, like Charlene of Monaco's for example.
  #1788  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,028
Not a fan of Charlene's dress...too narrow.
Not a fan of Amanda's with that weird seam across the bust.

Some of the others have nice elements...but I think I'd go with Victoria's.


LaRae
  #1789  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:52 AM
O-H Anglophile's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrs View Post
I love the app although it would nice if there were even more styles (including perhaps some nonroyal brides.)

I also agree she looks best in Victoria's gown, the bateau necklace really flatters her. (I don't know whether it's a consideration because the shoulders are somewhat bare.) Then I'd say Mette-Mirit's gown (but with a more fitted waist) or Kate's (I doubt she want a gown too much like Kate's because she'll get criticism for that) or Letiza's. The representation of Grace Kelly's gown somehow doesn't look like the photos I've seen - it looked much nicer than that. Fortunately Diana's dress is very out of style - if she wore a dress like that, she'd be severely criticized.
I agree, a few more dresses would have been fun--but I enjoyed the app and have shared it with a few people.

I don't think the style of Kate's (Grace's) dresses suit Meghan at all. Kate's dress was very Kate and suited her brilliantly.
  #1790  
Old 05-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 2,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Not a fan of Charlene's dress...too narrow.
Not a fan of Amanda's with that weird seam across the bust.

Some of the others have nice elements...but I think I'd go with Victoria's.


LaRae
I agree with this. I also liked Lady Charlotte Wellesley's dress, which is from Emilia Wickstead, I think.
  #1791  
Old 05-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Emme's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: East Coast, United States
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Fingers crossed for a bateau neckline!


LaRae


Yes!!! I agree.
  #1792  
Old 05-18-2018, 05:03 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,448
Me as Well!!!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #1793  
Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 5,605
Alexandra Knatchbull's dress is pretty. Could you see her veil having sequins?
  #1794  
Old 05-18-2018, 08:50 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,688
I think Alexandra's dress is very unappealing and plain. Charles outshines her.
  #1795  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 5,605
When the announcement is made of which company made the wedding dress, is the name of the dress designer also announced?
  #1796  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:51 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 11,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
When the announcement is made of which company made the wedding dress, is the name of the dress designer also announced?
If its a design brand and not a specific designer, then yes the designer will be named. When Kate's dress was announced they specifically said Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen.

If she goes with something like Philippa Lepley that is both the label and the designer.

On the other hand if it was Ralph and Russo as many suspect, it would be announced something like 'Ms Markle's gown was designed by Jack Isenberg of Ralph and Russo' (though it seems from linked in Jack isn't head designer since April, not sure who is head designer of the label now, or would do Meghan's, Just using as example).
  #1797  
Old 05-18-2018, 11:46 PM
mgrant's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Charleston, United States
Posts: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrs View Post
I love the app although it would nice if there were even more styles (including perhaps some nonroyal brides.)

I also agree she looks best in Victoria's gown, the bateau necklace really flatters her. (I don't know whether it's a consideration because the shoulders are somewhat bare.) Then I'd say Mette-Mirit's gown (but with a more fitted waist) or Kate's (I doubt she want a gown too much like Kate's because she'll get criticism for that) or Letiza's. The representation of Grace Kelly's gown somehow doesn't look like the photos I've seen - it looked much nicer than that. Fortunately Diana's dress is very out of style - if she wore a dress like that, she'd be severely criticized.


Dianaís gown wouldíve swallowed Meghan, I think. Itís clearly not her style and yes, itís out of fashion even though I still love it, and yes, I would also wear it. Iím a hopeless romantic and that gown is my type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think Alexandra's dress is very unappealing and plain. Charles outshines her.


I thought it was pretty. It wasnít fussy and this is coming from someone who would be swimming in lace if I was to get married.
__________________
Optime positum est beneficium ubi meminit qui accipit. Syrus, Maxims
  #1798  
Old 05-18-2018, 11:56 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 820
I adored Alexandra's dress, actually.
I loved the material and the style.

Charlotte Wellersley's gown looked great on her but I didn't love the loose drop shoulder line and how it seemed to swamp her.

Not long to wait now!
  #1799  
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 AM
Bine221's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 1,561
Something like Charlene, but with a bigger skirt!
BYe Bine
  #1800  
Old 05-19-2018, 02:35 AM
Elektra's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Here, France
Posts: 395
https://twitter.com/IkonPictures/sta...22171303657472

Quote:
Niraj Tanna‏ @IkonPictures



A little birdie tells me Meghan Markle’s dress has been designed by British designer Clare Waight Keller who is style and art director at Givenchy. #royalwedding
__________________

__________________
'Dear friends, thank you for giving me my Prince.'
H.R.H. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden addressing the crowds on her wedding day to Daniel Westling, June 19th, 2010.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 5538 05-19-2018 06:37 AM
Meghan Markle: Wedding Tiara and Jewelry Suggestions and Musings Tilia C. Royal Jewels General Discussion 999 05-19-2018 06:02 AM
Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017 JessRulz The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1354 03-20-2018 07:03 PM




Popular Tags
ancestry armstrong-jones belgian royal belgian royal family belgium chittagong cover-up crown princess victoria danish royalty dna dubai dutch royal family dutch royals family tree foundation future games haakon vii hill history house of glucksburg interesting introduction israel italian royal family jumma kids movie king salman list of rulers lithuanian palaces mailing mary: crown princess of denmark memoir monaco history monogram mountbatten nepal netflix norwegian royal family prince charles prince dimitri princess elizabeth princess margaret pronunciation queen mathilde queen maud rown royal balls royal court royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding saudi arabia serbian royal family spain spanish history startling new evidence stuart sweden swedish royalty thailand tracts united states of america unsubscribe videos von hofmannsthal wedding gown


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×