Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Sorry but when you talk about 'big skirts' and comments that Kate's skirt didn't have enough 'pressence' you certainly allude to a ball gown. There is only so 'big' an A-line skirt can do. And many of us have actually posted aline dresses here, not just sheaths.

I think Kate's gown was full enough - it just wasn't long enough, imo. It got lost in the Abbey because Kate chose a short cathedral length train instead of a royal/monarch train.

St. George's may not hold as many people, but it still needs a gown with some presence to it - otherwise Meghan will get lost. She's 5'7", which is why I don't see her wearing a cupcake of a dress, but she does need something with grandeur.

Whatever happens I just pray Meghan doesn't choose a chapel length gown. No. Just ... no.

Literally created a account to say all.of these dresses are beautiful especially the first two.

Yes the first two are lovely. Welcome to the forums , Kurenai24 hope you enjoy being here.

I think Kate's gown was full enough - it just wasn't long enough, imo. It got lost in the Abbey because Kate chose a short cathedral length train instead of a royal/monarch train.

St. George's may not hold as many people, but it still needs a gown with some presence to it - otherwise Meghan will get lost. She's 5'7", which is why I don't see her wearing a cupcake of a dress, but she does need something with grandeur.

Whatever happens I just pray Meghan doesn't choose a chapel length gown. No. Just ... no.

Well there you go, grandeur is a proper word :flowers:

Grandeur speaks to the design, the detail, the impact it makes. 'Big' describes size. A sheath dress may be grand, but its never going to be big, just like you bling out a smart car it may be fancy, but its still going to be small.

The difference for some people is what 'grandeur means'. Many of the gowns posted like the pronovias are grand. They aren't over the top, covered in lace or bling, but they make a statement. They make a statement in design, in architecture, in details like the statement back to them. Add to that a tiara and an amazing veil, and it would be grand.

We can look at royal dresses like Charlene, Victoria, and older ones like Silvia, and know a royal wedding gown can be quite simple, rely on architectural detail, and still make a great statement.

Whatever gown Meghan chooses,.I think the main concern is a design that will allow her to cleanly execute a curtsy to the Queen afternoon she and Harry are married. The skirt can't be too full where she dips down it doesn't look like it's swallowing her whole; and not so form fitting there is a risk of it ripping on the attempt. The curtsy is one of the money shots for that day so I think Meghan would take that into account.

Another reason nothing too fitted waist down. Don't want any Pippa moments.

LaRae

I remember reading that the present Duchess of Kent stepped back into the folds of her dress, in order to curtsy to the Queen.

I wonder if she will chat with Kate about the wedding dress procedure ...the little details like that.

LaRae

I wonder if she will chat with Kate about the wedding dress procedure ...the little details like that.

LaRae

I know I would ! I am sure Meghan will find Kate a great source of help during the coming months.

They have to get all the support people hired (personal secretary etc) pretty soon.

My guess is, since she has known for some time they were going to marry next year she already has a good idea of the type of dress and who she wants to design it. Along with the flowers etc etc.

LaRae

I imagine Kate would be a great source for ins and outs on a great many things. It will be nice for them to be able to talk and share things together.

:previous:
This! It will be great for them to have each other!

Honestly, I can see her wearing something similar to Princess Elizabetta Maria of Belgium's wedding dress.

What is for sure is I can't wait to see Harry's face when he sees her in the wedding dress. Anyone want to take a bet that he's gonna shed a tear that day?

Yep I'm betting he will choke up.

LaRae

I really really don't want to see a lace wedding dress. My personal taste! But I can see Meghan in a floaty or satin fabric, a simple A line with a little detailing, shortish sleeves, and perhaps a short train. I can't see an incredible long veil either. My favourite wedding dress and veil was Mette Marit's. If Meghan's designer can come up with something resembling that I shall be happy.

Honiton lace

As far as I know HANDMADE Lace is no longer made either in Honiton {Devon}, nor in [the very appropriate] Nottingham, despite both being prominent makers of it in the past..

:previous: I agree with you on what I see her wearing. While I was hoping vintage, I know wishful thinking likely. I too love MM look.

I think if anything is overly long and grand for the cathedral, it will be the veil. I don't expect some massive veil, but one with presence enough.

Elisabetta's is lovely and size wise, like veil perhaps good. But I would never describe the lace as being 'simple'.

I'm hoping for something besides lace (and I love lace)...I'm laced out on wedding dresses. Something silk or soft and floaty...maybe embroidery or needlepoint would be cool.

LaRae

Actually yes, I would prefer no lace and would rather see some distinctive embroidery detailing here and there on a fabric such as a rich satin.

I don't think we will see a massive train either, but I can imagine a lengthy veil.

It's so hard to imagine what the dress will look like, but something as distinctive as Mette-Marit's dress would be amazing.

Actually yes, I would prefer no lace and would rather see some distinctive embroidery detailing here and there on a fabric such as a rich satin.

I don't think we will see a massive train either, but I can imagine a lengthy veil.

It's so hard to imagine what the dress will look like, but something as distinctive as Mette-Marit's dress would be amazing.

Yes to the rich creamy satin/silk that looks like you could pour it! A simple dress like Mette-Marit's (slightly different style) then embroidery detail has the potential to be quite a stunner.

I expect to see a decent train and a lovely veil...and tiara!!!

LaRae

Mette's dress was a dream for me. The simplicity of it but with still such an amazing look, it fit the grand event. The shorter train with the long veil to make the statement. Proof you can look grand and fit a huge event, without being bathed in lace and adornment.

I hope we see something similar on Meghan. If there is adornment, some beautiful embroidery done right would add great detail without being over the top.

Well, Jessica works the public relations for Kleinfield at Hudson Bay. I'm sure she'll be able to send Meghan all the info on the latest styles on wedding dress. I CAN'T WAIT!

I completely fail to see what is so special about Mette-Marit's dress. It was much too simple for my taste. I don't like (too) simple.

I don't see Meghan wearing a lace gown, nor anything like Catherine's gown, so perhaps some embroidery would be nice. The finishing touch.
Not a gown with clean, simple lines. Up to now I've been disappointed with any bride who wore such a gown.
Is it that difficult to make a bit of an effort?

For the same reason I have never taken to, say, Queen Mathilde of the Belgians' gown and CP Victoria's of Sweden (to name two that come to mind). All bare.

Queen Sonja of Norway's gown is another story. She had (sparkling) embroidery on the neck and the ends of her sleeves. *That* is what makes a simple gown special for me.

:previous: It's not a matter of making an effort. It's a matter of personal taste. Many women aren't into glitter and lace and shine. There is just as much work and design that goes into a very simple but architectural dress, as there goes into a lace gown.

The grand style, veil, and tiara gave the extra boost for MM. For Victoria the tiara and the veil. There are ways to being grand without looking like you are on show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom