Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you know very well that she wore a long white sheath dress and she looked happy and lovely.

I think people sometimes forget that dresses on runways, especially couture, are NOT meant to be worn the way they're presented. A lot of designers choose not to line the dresses to make them look more striking and to show off the details of lace and embroidery...etc.

Couturiers, like Ralph and Russo, would very rarely have the exact same runway designer commissioned, especially wedding dresses. Meghan's engagement dress was probably the exact same dress on the runway since she has a model's size. If that is true then she most probably got a 25% discount because of that. So no, Meghan's dress will most likely NOT be see-through even if it's based on a see-through runway design. McQueen's runway dresses, for example, have always been very daring, but when it was time for Kate's dress, Sarah Burton made a very demure frock!

Not only is Sarah Burton one of Kate’s go to designers, they’ve actually become friends.

Depending on who Meghan picked, it maybe the start of a long relationship.

You may not have liked Kate's gown, but it suited her and I think she was happy with it which is all that really matters. She and Sarah Burton worked together to make the dress Kate wanted. McQueen may have been the label but I think it was a Middleton/Burton dress.

I hope Meghan has a designer she can collaborate with and she loves whatever gown she wears.
Kate’s wedding dress was absolutely gorgeous and I’m not someone who’s generally in awe of her overall style. I think she plays it too safe mostly, compared to her continental counterparts who would be queen one day, or already are. But she does pull it off wearing some eye catching stunners on the odd occasion.

Imho, since coming to live in London Meghan’s look and fashion sense has become a bit too understated and boring. She was quite stylish pre this period, well, once she landed her role on Suits tbf. Her coats since she moved here have been ill-fitting, I feel like she is wearing bathrobes at times. Still, she does have good taste and I’m sure she will get it right with her wedding dress. And hopefully she’ll gain more confidence after her wedding enough to wear her usual bright colours and style for the upcoming spring, summer.

^agree ! Loved Kate’s wedding dress and it suited her to the T !

And also agree with the fact that Meghan s fashion choices since her engagement announcement have been boring and blah ! Especially her Ill fitting coats.

Fingers crossed she gets the wedding dress right coz that’s the one which will be going down in the history books .

I didn’t know that. Should of Googled it. That will give us a good indication of what she’ll wear the second time around.

Here it is. Tells you how much I follow her. Whole bunch of wedding photos. She just needs to cover her shoulders

Photos emerge of Prince Harry's girlfriend Meghan Markle's wedding with Trevor Engleson | Daily Mail Online

I don't think it really does...because this is a totally different style of wedding. If nothing else a bride would not repeat the same look twice.

LaRae

:previous: Agreed. Also the 1st wedding was a beach affair and that was the style/theme of the dress. This is very different and will be presented as such. Nothing about her 1st wedding can be related to this wedding at all.

She will pick a designer who she feels comfortable with and they will come up with something that suits her personality and style. They know that all eyes will be on her and how important this is. She has all the help in the world.

Elie Saab is an extraordinary designer. His gown for HGD Stephanie is one if not my favorite royal wedding dress. Unfortunately a Lebanese designer has little chance. If she didn't go for British, American is likely the only safe option.
Unfortunate indeed. His Spring 2018 collection is really pared down. It has a very feminine light, airy and ethereal look:

http://www.eliesaab.com/medias/images/bridal/bridal_pe2018/look/11.jpg

http://www.eliesaab.com/medias/images/bridal/bridal_pe2018/look/01.jpg

http://www.eliesaab.com/medias/images/bridal/bridal_pe2018/look/12.jpg

Wouldn't it be lovely if, since this is a private wedding, Meghan got to choose something she always wanted but never thought she'd have a need for?

With all the ghastly tabloids speculating that her dress and honeymoon have doubled the cost of the wedding to some astronomical amount like $400,000 and counting for the dress alone.

I seem to recall seeing a couple of Lepley dresses I liked...but haven't paid too much attention to anything with lace..although I said weeks ago she may surprise everyone and come out in a lot of lace. It would be cool to see her use Oldfield too...if she wants lace.

Based on her stated aesthetic you would *expect* to see a very sleek elegant structured gown (ala some of the Pronovias) created by whatever Brit designer is good with that style.

The one thing I don't expect is cupcake or princess-y.

I have a hard time imagining that she doesn't grasp the need for the dress to meet the venue and the occasion ...she comes across as very savvy about this sort of thing.

LaRae (still hoping/expecting to be wow'd!)

Definitely agree on the no cupcake or 'fairy tale princess' puff look :flowers:

I agree I am sure she understands the need to match the venue. I think she also has the aesthetic knowledge to mean that doesn't mean she has to look like just as you vetoed, a princess puff like some fairy tale, draped in lace or beading. The dress just needs presence, which can be achieved in many ways. Being sleek and architectural doesn't by any means mean a plain sheath dress which would get lost in the cathedral. Those gowns can be incredibly grand and make a statement (Victoria and Charlene are prime examples of modern gowns that relied on structure, and still made an impact). Adding a bit of bling, and even detail in a veil lets say, all can add just that bit extra pow for the venue.

I really do hope to be wowed this time.

Unfortunate indeed. His Spring 2018 collection is really pared down. It has a very feminine light, airy and ethereal look:

http://www.eliesaab.com/medias/images/bridal/bridal_pe2018/look/11.jpg

http://www.eliesaab.com/medias/images/bridal/bridal_pe2018/look/01.jpg

Wouldn't it be lovely if, since this is a private wedding, Meghan got to choose something she always wanted but never thought she'd have a need for?

With all the ghastly tabloids speculating that her dress and honeymoon have doubled the cost of the wedding to some astronomical amount like $400,000 and counting for the dress alone.

Those Saab dresses are pretty enough but not grand enough. They don't have the presence that Stephanie's did.

LaRae

I agree I am sure she understands the need to match the venue. I think she also has the aesthetic knowledge to mean that doesn't mean she has to look like just as you vetoed, a princess puff like some fairy tale, draped in lace or beading. The dress just needs presence, which can be achieved in many ways. Being sleek and architectural doesn't by any means mean a plain sheath dress which would get lost in the cathedral. Those gowns can be incredibly grand and make a statement (Victoria and Charlene are prime examples of modern gowns that relied on structure, and still made an impact). Adding a bit of bling, and even detail in a veil lets say, all can add just that bit extra pow for the venue.

That one Pronovias that I love makes a statement. It is a wow dress. If she wears something similar to that.it should be great!

LaRae

That one Pronovias that I love makes a statement. It is a wow dress. If she wears something similar to that.it should be great!

LaRae

I assume we are picturing the same one (one posted a few dozen times), and I agree. It would suit the space, and if she chose something similar, I would be ecstatic :flowers:

Well, she could always do a 'Princess Alice' and get married in pink or any other colour for that matter:

Though we haven't seen any recent royal bride do it, its definitely a possibility. Colored wedding dresses have become quite popular, and not just for second brides. Back in the day first time brides wore white, second time were expected to wear another color. Now a days, both brides can wear white, or both wear color.

I don't see any extreme color, but a blush, or champagne is lovely. But I feel like she will likely stick to the tried and true royal white.

Ha posted at least 6 times by me! If I see anything better I'll post it!

If she is going to go grand/big then I'd love to see her in that Romona K dress but it's so not her style so I don't expect anything like it.

LaRae

I like the skirt on the 3rd Elie Saab dress. It probably needs a short train to give it more presence, but the shape, material, and embroidery feel pretty close.

Ha posted at least 6 times by me! If I see anything better I'll post it!

If she is going to go grand/big then I'd love to see her in that Romona K dress but it's so not her style so I don't expect anything like it.

LaRae

Sorry but that Ramona is the definition of 'fairy tale princess dress' which isn't a good thing in my mind. Its the kind of dress a girl dreaming of being Cinderella would choose. Beautiful color. She needs to go grand for the venue, and I know she may go bigger then the Pronovias, but I truly hope she doesn't go full out fairy tale.

The first one on this page is a fav of mine. I like his use of sparkles and crystals.

Not a fan of the huge skirt, but I do like the embellished part of the skirt, the detail of it is lovely.

All of the hoopla over Ralph & Russo being tapped to design Meghan's wedding dress I think is just gossip. And it's nice publicity for R&R since they recently had a Spring fashion show in London. Last week it was McQueen wedding dress speculation and this week, R&R. The fact that R&R 'politely declined to comment,' does not mean anything. It's interesting to see that R&R are young designers. I had thought they were two older guys, but it seems they are female and male: Tamara Ralph and Michael Russo.
https://www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2018-couture/ralph-and-russo

Of the slide show R&R fashion show looks, I like 5, 10, 13, 20 w/o see-thru fabric, 26; I love 16, and 24 is gorgeous, but maybe w/ straps tho'; I also love 25, 27, 29, 35 but w/ a slimmer silhouette, 47, 48, 52; and some looks are rather pretty including 3, 11, 21-23 from a 1940s aesthetic, 30, 39, 42, 45, 53, 54. There are quite a few impractical looks and some really big Nos! The feathery 7,8 looks are so-so. I think #8 is somewhat better than #7. Look #2 is pretty but the fringe is impractical; #9 mini dress with pink fur arm cuffs is very pretty.

Look #s 4, 7, 8, 16, 20, 21, 46, and 51 are reminiscent of Meghan's engagement dress, but with different colors and styling. I think #46 and #51 are rather ugly though and #4 is overly see-thru.

Of the final look, I don't like the bridal dress on 5' 4" model Camila Coelho.

Big NO: 1,6,18,19,32,34,37,38,40,50

Okay, but not for me: 11, 33 is too see-thru, 43,44,49,55

Impractical: 12,14,15,17,28,36,41

Last edited:
Ralph and Russo are immensely talented out of the current lot though . So if they are indeed making the dress than it would be great !

I think we'll be surprised at what Meghan chooses. By now, I'm sure she has tried on gowns of all silhouette types and has made a decision. Not much time to design, find exquisite cloth and any frou-frou trims. I just think we will (mostly) all be surprised and that's the way I like it to happen.

I don't like this one. It just looks like a party dress, not a wedding dress.

Here are Princess Victoria's and Princess Charlene's wedding dresses. They were both boat neck style with clean lines:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 10 Wedding Gowns: #1. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 10 Wedding Gowns: #8. Princess Charlene of Monaco

I think all of the dresses, especially the first row, posted earlier are quite lovely:
https://www.pinterest.at/pin/807973989367887285/

By this point, I'm not sure what Meghan has chosen. Maybe something with clean lines, but it could also be a bit more fanciful and romantic. I guess we will be surprised and hopefully wowed after all the increasing build-up and excitement. The good thing is that Meghan seems to know what suits her and she has great fashion sense, backed up by her friend Jessica's advice and guidance.

Last edited:
Not a fan of some of Jessica's advice.

Nor me.. she might be a chum, but her sartorial advice isn't 'up to snuff'...

Last edited:
I've never gotten the hype about Victoria's dress. Charlene's was better due to the crystal embroidery and 2 trains.
They are definitely better than the coat dresses someone suggested she might choose.

Nor me.. she might be a chum, but her sartorial advice isn't 'up to snuff'...

I'm hoping in the near future she moves on to someone else. Meghan could so carry off chic/elegance.

Does anyone wear Dior or Givenchy still, assuming their houses are still going strong?

I like the retro in the modern era. It doesn't seem to go out of style really.

LaRae

Ralph and Russo are immensely talented out of the current lot though . So if they are indeed making the dress than it would be great !

I just don't get why folks like R&R ...let alone think they are so talented. Sorry not seeing it.

LaRae

Not a fan of some of Jessica's advice.

Ah well, what do any of us actually know about the specific advice and guidance Jessica is providing? We only know that Jessica has served as Meghan's stylist since they met on the set of Suits about 5 or 6 years ago, and that Jessica is said to be helping Meghan with putting together her working wardrobe. In any case, Meghan likely makes the final decisions since she's fashion savvy herself and she has a good idea of what looks good on her own body.

As far as R&R, I haven't been that impressed with most of their wedding dresses. There are some lovely luxury dress and gown designs in their recent Spring show, as I posted, but there's also plenty of No and a few ugly looks.

It seems like they have some very good design ideas and creations, but then they tend to stray toward OTT instead of simply stopping with the good ideas. I guess that's because they have to come up with many different looks for a show, or else it's a bit of excess in their design aesthetic.

I don't think they were chosen to design Meghan's wedding dress.

We should also remember that Meghan will be wearing two different looks (maybe three: her wedding dress, and two different dresses for the two receptions that are planned), I hope we will get to see or find out about the reception dresses Meghan wears. It's possible Meghan will choose different designers for her wedding reception outfits -- and R&R might be creating one of those designs. Or Meghan may wear the same second dress to both receptions, or else the second dress to the first reception, and something entirely more comfortable (even dressy pants) to the evening reception.

Victoria's dress
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Crown Princess Victoria's Wedding: The Dress
And here's Charlene:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: The Prince and Princess of Monaco's Wedding: The Bridal Gown

I personally prefer Victoria's dress style and material. I think it has a more elegant look and feel to it. Meghan would look great in a similar style.

I already linked Victoria's and Charlene's wedding dresses on the previous page. But thanks for more views.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom