Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know if you’d consider Countess of Wessex wedding gown a coatdress gown but I didn’t care for that either as that's what it reminds me of

Nope not a fan of Sophie's dress either.

LaRae

I think the coat dress worn by Princess Martha Louise is rather hideous. But the coat-like dress with raised collar worn by Princess Mathilde is very lovely and it really flatters her. I don't think that particular look and style though would suit Meghan.

Nor do coat-style dresses with raised collars work for the month of May. ;)

I also feel that Sophie's dress worked beautifully for her. It's interesting that Sophie chose those long, elaborate sleeves for the month of June. But I suppose it was lightweight material and she was going for a particular Tudor-like style.

Here's an interesting picture of what looks like Edward and Sophie practicing leaving the church prior to the wedding with a long piece of fabric (perhaps a long white table cloth) wrapped around Sophie's waist to simulate the long train of a wedding dress. Plus, she's wearing dark pants. With her head turned down to the side, Sophia looks similar to Diana (a lot of people remarked on their physical similarity when Sophie first began dating Edward).
http://hrhcountessofwessex.blogspot.com/p/royal-wedding-19th-june-1999.html

Last edited:
:previous: Hmm, I think if he wears a uniform it will be that of Captain General of the Royal Marines which he was appointed last year taking over from his grandfather.

I've seen a lot of "you wouldn't wear X in May", which seems very predicated on the weather of the poster. For example, I would absolutely wear long sleeves in May, but I'm in Canada. So it might be helpful to look at what the weather in London in May is.

Fortunately, https://www.worldweatheronline.com/london-weather-history/city-of-london-greater-london/gb.aspx has historical data for any day going back 10 years. (Average for May 19, btw, is 17 degrees). So, the historical weather for London on May 19th:

2009 - 17 degrees, cloudy, 4.2mm rain
2010 - 20 degrees, partially cloudy, .3mm rain
2011 - 17 degrees, partially cloudy, .3mm rain
2012 - 17 degrees, cloudy, .8mm rain
2013 - 20 degrees, mostly sunny, .1mm rain
2014 - 24 degrees, mostly sunny, 2.2mm rain
2015 - 14 degrees, cloudy with thunderstorms, 4.5mm rain
2016 - 19 degrees, mostly cloudy, 2.1mm rain
2017 - 17 degrees, mostly cloudy, 7.4mm rain

Looking at that data, I would definitely consider long sleeves.

I haven't seen a royal coat dress I like. I find them dated at best :sad:

The trend now would either be to capes, which seem to have been ruled out especially with a veil. Or more bolero style coats.

Here are some examples, scroll down to where they say wedding jackets. In this case the trend is actual jackets, and not a coat dress.

https://www.brides.com/gallery/wedding-dress-trends-fall-2018

But that is more fall, spring/summer lends more towards the cape/capelet trend.

:previous: I like the very first cape with hood. It would, as they said, take care of both the veil and train and I could just imagine a tiara with it. Tatiana Casiraghi wore a true winter cape over a braided up-do with a diamond kokoshnik. From what I saw it was a great look

:sad: I'll just be the lonely fan then with my appreciation of the coat dresses. (sniff)

You are not alone!:lol: I appreciate coat wedding dress too as long as it's well made and well fitted, e.g. Mathilde's and Marie Christine's (minus the fur cuffs) (maybe also Camilla's but it isn't a typical wedding gown). But I can understand why some people dislike wedding gown with long coat, most of them look quite clumsy.

Well, here's Prince Philip in his uniform as Captain General of the Royal Marines. It's not very different:

It's much better than the red one William wore (Irish Guard?). His uniform and the Order of the Garter's blue sash are too colorful, too "Disney" to me. Does Harry have any orders? or what order will he wear?

Do they think Kate's dress (or any Royal Bride) was off the rack? All the manufactured shock over dress costs...

LaRae

MaiaMia 53 = this skirt design is very similar to a 1940s wedding gown although even this skirt is fuller than back then. It would have been cut on the bias and fabric of fine silk. Fitted with no seams through waist and flared slightly to floor. This top is altogether different. I wish I could show you even photos from my own personal albums of weddings but have no idea how. Anyway, it is just my idea of a really classy gown maybe because I was a young one back then and still adored brides and their gowns.

I saw that too. That gown would be more than Kate's. I can't see a future duchess getting a more expensive dress than a future queen.

I don't think Meghan is going to be required to only spend X dollars because Kate only spent X dollars. We don't know what anything is going to cost yet.

LaRae

... It's much better than the red one William wore (Irish Guard?). His uniform and the Order of the Garter's blue sash are too colorful, too "Disney" to me. Does Harry have any orders? or what order will he wear?

Yes, I also prefer Harry's dark blue uniform as opposed to William's red uniform. I believe I read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth likes the color of the red uniforms, which we tend to see a lot of during Trooping the Colour ceremonies.

Here's a picture of Prince Charles with Diana on their wedding day:
Princess Diana Called Prince Charles the Wrong Name During Their Wedding Ceremony - Closer Weekly

I'm not attaching the article for discussion. It's just that Google is now making it impossible to copy and link images separately from their original sources.

I like Prince Charles' uniform as well in terms of how it complements the bride, despite Diana's OTT fanciful 1980s frou-frou gown. I would love to see what Diana might have chosen had she been older and more in tune with her own sense of herself and not swayed by an overly romantic vision irresponsibly fostered by her designers, the Emmanuels.

Apparently they have tired of criticizing Meghan's articulate participation in the RFF discussion. So now DF have moved on to trying to muckrake Meghan's eventual wedding dress reveal far in advance. Thumbs down to DF and their total lack of journalistic integrity. They need to clean up their act.

It's shades of the OTT ridiculous critiques about the Ralph & Russo gown Meghan wore for her engagement photos. This all smacks of jealousy and a need by DF to continue receiving clicks by making up stories and exaggerating.

Last edited by a moderator:
My hope is that Meghan will choose something that makes her look pretty. I know she is a "modern" woman, but I truly believe she needs something to soften her a bit. Look how great she looked in her formal engagement photo. I'd like to see something stupendous on her. She's not short, I believe average height includes 5'7" which is her height. I just feel if she doesn't choose a traditional gown and goes for something pseudo avant-garde, she'll end up with criticism similar to Mabel. The only problem is, wedding gowns have been in use for over 150 years and we're running out of designs. I think Elie Saab has had his run and hope she doesn't pick one similar. I truly am hoping that she and her designer can come up with something suitably modern, so she won't have the 4th royal wedding gown that look pretty much the same. Isabella Orsini, Kate, and Sophia of Sweden (in date order).

Last edited:
I saw that too. That gown would be more than Kate's. I can't see a future duchess getting a more expensive dress than a future queen.

But Kate married seven years ago!

Prices go up, not down, over time.

:previous: That's right. Look has no credibility at all. As if any dress designer would be releasing the price of any gown to a journalist before (or after) the wedding anyway.

Also if they know the cost, then why don't they know the designer.

Daily Fail has an agenda which is the rile up their base with dog whistle journalism.

My hope is that Meghan will choose something that makes her look pretty. I know she is a "modern" woman, but I truly believe she needs something to soften her a bit. Look how great she looked in her formal engagement photo. I'd like to see something stupendous on her. She's not short, I believe average height includes 5'7" which is her height. I just feel if she doesn't choose a traditional gown and goes for something pseudo avant-garde, she'll end up with criticism similar to Mabel. The only problem is, wedding gowns have been in use for over 150 years and we're running out of designs...

I'm sure Meghan is going to choose a wedding dress design that perfectly suits her own sensibilities and style aesthetic, while also melding her selection to what is apropos to royal tradition and to the ancient venue, but with a modern twist. She is a strong, pretty woman who embraces both her softness and her strength. So I guess we'll see how who Meghan is plays out in what she has already chosen to wear. ?

You seem to have a strong sense of what you'd like to see Meghan wear. What she wore for the engagement photo was a surprise in it's fanciful glamour, which I don't think anyone was expecting. And all of the criticisms were so over the top and unnecessary. It will be interesting to see what Meghan and her designer and stylist have decided upon for her all-important wedding dress.

Although Meghan is between 5'6" and 5'7", she appears to be small-boned with a relatively small, slim frame, albeit shapely. She will likely wear comfortable but low heels (not stilettos) to give her a bit more height next to Harry in his military uniform. Meghan has been adept, yet casual about coordinating their looks. The other thing to think about when selecting a dress is bodily proportions. Meghan appears to have long to average length arms and legs with moderate to broad shoulders, a long neck, an oval face with an elongated chin, very thin but gorgeously shaped legs and ankles, plus a short torso. All those factors are taken into consideration when choosing the clothes she wears, and especially the design of her wedding dress.

By 'soften' are you referring to fluffy romance or to what exactly?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ah, a Japanese designer. The effect is like the palest of pale cherry blossoms.

I would personally wear such a dress for an occasion other than a wedding, albeit most women do not have many occasions for wearing elaborate gowns. For a wedding, I would stick more to variant shades of white or cream, although the lightest blush pink might work for some women.

And of course, brides come in all characters, shapes, sizes, desires, and preferences, so this dress might be a wedding dream for someone.

^ Could a post be MORE Saccharine ?

Eh, I'm not sure whether you are referencing my depiction of Meghan's frame and how she will likely be choosing the design of the dress she wears on her special day. In case you are referencing my response to what I thought was a depiction of Meghan's character and royal role, I will take this conversation to the 'Meghan future role' thread to respond.

In fact, in my original post, I had more to say about my view of the reference to 'softness,' but I edited it out here, because we are discussing wedding dresses.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the Pronovias in your first link there...it doesn't have enough presence and no on the other link...the Pronovias I'm talking about is this one :)

https://www.pronovias.com/wedding-dress-flared-long-raigal-61017

With some adjustments for the time of year....this dress has presence ..can you imagine with a gorgeous tiara....earrings...maybe a elegant necklace?

And if she really wanted to go all out and princess it up....this Keveza:

https://www.theknot.com/fashion/rk525-romona-keveza-collection-wedding-dress

A gorgeous tiara ...a stunning necklace....

LaRae
Just imagine one of HM's brooches instead of a beaded flower on that neckline.

My hope is that Meghan will choose something that makes her look pretty. I know she is a "modern" woman, but I truly believe she needs something to soften her a bit. Look how great she looked in her formal engagement photo. I'd like to see something stupendous on her. She's not short, I believe average height includes 5'7" which is her height. I just feel if she doesn't choose a traditional gown and goes for something pseudo avant-garde, she'll end up with criticism similar to Mabel. The only problem is, wedding gowns have been in use for over 150 years and we're running out of designs. I think Elie Saab has had his run and hope she doesn't pick one similar. I truly am hoping that she and her designer can come up with something suitably modern, so she won't have the 4th royal wedding gown that look pretty much the same. Isabella Orsini, Kate, and Sophia of Sweden (in date order).
I hope she chooses something that looks magical on her, the sort of gown that people say "I wish I could wear something like that, sigh".

I have to admit I am sick to death of what are essentially strapless gowns with a lace overlay for modesty such as those you quoted. They really have been done to death to the degree I'd say I don't want to see any lace at all unless it is like Victoria where her petticoats were lace trimmed as we saw when she got out of the carriage.

Alow Vera really accurately pointed out the flaw in the DM article on the cost of Meghan's gown, if they know the cost they know the designer but they don't know the designer and therefore cannot know the cost.

Someone mentioned Mabel's gown as an absolute no-no, but lose the bows and it isn't too bad . . . on the other hand, counting the bows gave the congregation something to occupy their minds during the homily. :D

Just imagine one of HM's brooches instead of a beaded flower on that neckline.

Just what I was thinking....or even a waist detail (to one side).

LaRae

Waist detail..... suddenly I’m picturing a sleeveless trench style belted wedding gown... ?

I’m kidding, sort of! Whatever she wears I’m sure she’ll be a lovely bride. I do happen to admire her style. Anyone that dresses for themselves is at least genuine.

Talking about the brooch.

LaRae

Jeweled belts are quite popular with gowns. Especially simpler gowns, not drowning in lace or beading, to add some 'bling' to them. Way to add some bling to a more architectural gown.

I love how royals like Max use brooches on their gowns at times. It would be a great way, say with a decorative veil, to add some bling to a more streamline gown. Have a simple architectural gown like the pronovias, but a stunning brooch added, and a beautiful veil with detail added to it.

A brooch at the waist could look beautiful.

Okay of course this would need a fuller skirt, but just an idea of the brooch detail further down on a gown

https://www.maggiesottero.com/blog/cap-sleeve-chiffon-wedding-dress-rosemary/

The queen certainly has a few beautiful brooches to try out. Or a gift from her soon to be father in law, less expensive and more useful than a tiara which I am sure the queen will of course loan.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: BROOCHES: ORNAMENTAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom