Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is Meghan's second marriage can she wear white or ivory? It doesn't matter in regular circumstances but this is a royal wedding in the BRF. Is a veil out as well? If so, I move for a blush gown and a gorgeous tiara.

There won't be any color or veil restrictions on Meghan. It will be all up to her.

LaRae

Since this is Meghan's second marriage can she wear white or ivory? It doesn't matter in regular circumstances but this is a royal wedding in the BRF. Is a veil out as well? If so, I move for a blush gown and a gorgeous tiara.

There will be a veil, that I think we can be pretty certain of. Camilla didn't wear a veil at St. George because it wasn't a wedding, but a blessing. The dress will be white or similar. It won't a pastel color like Camilla's.

I was watching a show this morning with a stylist that Meghan is actually friends with. He mentioned Stella McCartney among others as a possibility. It didn't seem like he had inside information, but rather it's just his own opinion as a stylist. I thought it was interesting considering we haven't heard that name.

The hopes and dreams of all the fashionistas are crumblings to dust if they get yet another princess who *gasp* recycles and wears understated clothing!

I await the first time Meghan's clothing is called 'too mantronly' LOL

LaRae

I will die laughing...and strangely happy. I’m very curious about her personal style and how she will adapt it to royal life. It’s going to be fun fun fun!

I would love a pretty cream or champagne dress not because she’s divorced but because that’s what I personally love. Regardless, I’m sure it’ll be white or off-white in color.

Dress wise even happier getting married in the chapel. In something like the abbey her gown would need to be grand to make a statement in such a huge space. And I would be worried she would feel a push towards something like what Kate had worn. St George's definitely she can get away with a more streamlined modern gown and still make a great splash with it.

I too like the thought of champagne or another color. I think it would suit her and be a nice change from stark white gowns.

I think an off white colour and I wouldn't rule out a vintage or borrowed gown.

I highly doubt it'll be borrowed. If nothing else, a royal wedding typically like to showcase British products. Even Pippa's wedding dress had a lot of talk about how it was showing off the fine craftsmanship of London designer. Meghan's wedding dress will be custom and will be a Britain based designer.

I will die laughing...and strangely happy. I’m very curious about her personal style and how she will adapt it to royal life. It’s going to be fun fun fun!

I would love a pretty cream or champagne dress not because she’s divorced but because that’s what I personally love. Regardless, I’m sure it’ll be white or off-white in color.

Wouldn't it be something if they went vintage and had some fun with it? Instead of doing the expected just do something different than you would typically see of a royal bride, but still keeping within the parameters of a Church wedding (everything covered that needs to be).

LaRae

Wonder what designer Meghan will choose to make her bridal gown? I think Jenny Packham would be a great choice. Kate likes her dresses very much. I'm pretty sure it will be a UK designer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don’t think a woman would marry into the British Royal Family wearing a borrowed dress. Seems like one of the occasions that requires a dress custom-designed for the bride.

I’m no fashionista and don’t know Stella McCartney’s work, but given how significant the Beatles were to British music and society I love the idea of Sir Paul’s daughter designing the dress.

Apparently there are no restrictions imposed by Buckingham Palace about the wedding dress— in their book A Dress for Diana, the Emanuels said they never heard from the Palace at all.

Not borrowed. This is a dress that I think will go on display - it will need to be conserved properly and be available for display for many years.

I know that it will be unusual for the dress of a bride who is not in the direct line to go on display but I think it will be a huge draw and it will happen.

I think it'll be a simple and traditional dress with a modern twist. Stella McCartney is chic but simple. It'd be a good pick for her.

cepe I can't remember did Sarah's dress go on display?

jacqui I sure don't see her in anything frilly/poofy either. I am thinking she might go classic with a modern interpretation. Can't wait to see it.

LaRae

Well, I hope her work people make an effort with the wedding gown then, fif Stella is chosen. A friend bought a dress at a big city store here from the Stella McCartney collection when it came out to Australia. She bought it on impulse, paid a pretty penny for it, and when we got it home we couldn't believe the poor workmanship.Poorly sewn Zip, buttons unaligned, hem sewed carelessly. And after the dress was dry cleaned following a couple of wears it faded.

I really don’t think a woman would marry into the British Royal Family wearing a borrowed dress. Seems like one of the occasions that requires a dress custom-designed for the bride.

I’m no fashionista and don’t know Stella McCartney’s work, but given how significant the Beatles were to British music and society I love the idea of Sir Paul’s daughter designing the dress.

Apparently there are no restrictions imposed by Buckingham Palace about the wedding dress— in their book A Dress for Diana, the Emanuels said they never heard from the Palace at all.

I think that BP is fine with the suggestions of the Church for reasonably modest, appropriate attire.

What would really be fun to do and Windsor Castle and St. George's Chapel would be the perfect backdrop for it would be to have a period wedding. Elizabethan or Victorian or Edwardian or even medieval would be so cool and that would definitely up the pomp and pageantry of it all.

Have the town turn into a Renaissance Faire with jousting tournaments, court jesters and Mummer's parade and all kinds of good stuff.

Won't happen but hey... its an idea. :D

Osipi I could see them doing a Downton Abbey (Vintage) wedding or an English Country Wedding! Why not? They want to have fun and be relaxed? So have fun with it!

LaRae

Osipi I could see them doing a Downton Abbey (Vintage) wedding or an English Country Wedding! Why not? They want to have fun and be relaxed? So have fun with it!

LaRae

I don't usually think Downton Abbey style and fun and relaxed. Besides, I don't see Meghan in that type of dresses.

Going back to the wedding dress, if you're not familiar with Jenny Packham, search on eBay.co.uk under 'Jenny Packham wedding dress' for examples of her designs. Most are sleeveless or with short sleeves, but I'm sure she could make Meghan one with long or three quarter length sleeves. You'll probably notice that she uses a lot of beading. It really looks stunning and that's not something other royal brides have had, so it would be really original.

Anybody else got ideas of designers they think would do a great job?

Going back to the wedding dress, if you're not familiar with Jenny Packham, search on eBay.co.uk under 'Jenny Packham wedding dress' for examples of her designs. Most are sleeveless or with short sleeves, but I'm sure she could make Meghan one with long or three quarter length sleeves. You'll probably notice that she uses a lot of beading. It really looks stunning and that's not something other royal brides have had, so it would be really original.

Hmm, I don't know if Meghan is the beading type. I haven't seen her wear anything that's got beading in the past. This reminds me that she has however done lace, so I know people were saying earlier they don't think she'll do lace. I wouldn't rule it out.

I like the idea of a strappy dress with a matching shrug or bolero, which Meghan can take off after the church service. My all-time favourite wedding outfit was the one Emily wore when she married Ross in 'Friends.' That was a strappy gown with a lovely matching jacket. The beading on the neck of the dress matched the trim on the jacket.

Do we think hair up or hair down?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stewart Parvin would do a good job.

I have always liked the Danish princesses wedding dresses (Queen M, Benedicte and Anne Marie) and their simple but regal lines. Stewart Parvin has done some real beauties along those lines -- a really timeless unembellished duchesse satin one sticks out in my mind.

I’d kind of like to see her hair down with a slight curl. It’s be pretty under her veil with the tiara if done right, but I’d guess up? Idk Kate’s was a half-up half-down style so who knows...

I don't think Meghan necessarily needs longer sleeves, just not strapless or spaghetti straps. Zara's dress was sleeveless and perfectly appropriate for a church wedding.
Your suggestion in a later post about a jacket or something would work too to cover her in church,

Last edited:
I don't think Meghan necessarily needs longer sleeves, just not strapless or spaghetti straps. Zara's dress was sleeveless and perfectly appropriate for a church wedding.
Your suggestion in a later post about a jacket or something would work too to cover her in church,

Jacket in May, especially late May, might get a little hot? I think her shoulders just have be covered right?

Hmm, I don't know if Meghan is the beading type. I haven't seen her wear anything that's got beading in the past. This reminds me that she has however done lace, so I know people were saying earlier they don't think she'll do lace. I wouldn't rule it out.

I agree. If ever a woman is gonna wear lace, it will be on her wedding dress...might never wear it again but sometimes that day is the day to do it!

LaRae

Do we think hair up or hair down?

Won't be entirely down. I wouldn't rule out an updo even. She has really long hair and a lot of it. It could get in the way or distract from the dress if it's entirely down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom