Meghan Markle: Wedding Dress Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to whoever compiled these sketches, no British designer that had any hope of actually designing Meghan's dress would submit a sketch for fear it would ruin their chances of getting chosen (by spoiling the design and courting the media).

No one knows if Meghan has already chosen the lucky designer or if she's still looking around, so magazines looking for sketches to publish are stuck with unrealistic fantasy dresses created by non-British designers who aren't currently vying for the coveted commission, and thus have zero regards to the actual constraints of Meghan's wedding dress (due to the church, size of venue, BRF, etc...).

We are all sort of trying to peg Meghan's personal style as a starting point but we know so little about it because the most we have seen of her has been a character in a TV show

Did she even like the way Rachel dressed? We just don't know so I, along with most of you, are looking out there at trends and refining aristocratic and royal gowns. By chance, I found one from last year and for some reason, it ticked my box.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016...exandra_down_the_aisle-a-19_1467873052369.jpg
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...hc5V7kUtrB_UgV-vALC-AyN9uVU-OpagXP9NDfufE.jpg

I like the neckline, and I love the little, tailored cap sleeves. They just have a little something special and unique that all those little barely-there fussy lace cap sleeves don't.

I love the way she wears the dress, it suits her beautifully and is not OTT. She is relying on a lace edging to her veil to carry the effect from her very elegant, but perfectly balanced, tiara. She is not a dress or a tiara walking down the aisle, she is Alexandra.

Or something like this. Big, swooping skirt fit for a not so small church, clean lines with an amazing back. Of course with this one it'll have to be less open or otherwise we'll have people clutching their pearls.

https://www.mupload.nl/img/kn6oa2fl68wus.png
https://www.mupload.nl/img/37vcuabxnfvfd.png

I'm projecting my favorite type of dresses onto Meghan at this point to be quite honest. :whistling:

I love this dress. I think the front is a bateau neckline.

The skirt is gorgeous and what a gorgeous train.

I really do hope Meghan chooses a grand gown with clean lines. With a tiara and veil she will look spectacular.

I do love the back of the gown (of course as you note will have to be closed up in some way). Wish we could see the front!

LaRae

That would make sense, with the back the way it is.

LaRae

That gown is like a fairytale. Beautiful!!

That back is much too open. I believe even Stéphanie of Luxembourg did not have such a low back. And open backs liks this do ruin the overall look of a dress for me when everything else is good.
I just want the total picture to fit and this would be a real turn-off.

Interesting article and sketches from many designers showing what wedding dresses they envision Meghan wearing on the big day. Some really good designs in this.

https://www.brides.com/gallery/meghan-markle-wedding-dress-predictions

Some of those folks are a bit out there if they think she will actually wear that type of dress.

LaRae

More than one... cupcake dresses (full ballgowns), dresses fitted down the whole body, low cut dresses without sleeves or covering (net etc), very frilly/busy dresses, blinged out dresses.

LaRae

True, some designs leave me with the thought "what were they thinking?"

Agreed. British designers would have more insight and understanding of what is or is not feasible in design.

I think most of us are going by her choices of clothing in the past and some of her stated preferences...that's why we say it's very unlikely she is going to wear X type of dress, along with knowing there are some guidelines she has to consider due to who she is marrying and the location.

I can't wait to see what she goes with though!

LaRae

Me too. I bet May will come sooner than we think! :D

And she might surprise us all (including me and I have high "demands" for how I want a wedding dress to look).

All the dresses posted all have really nice features. Meghan has some choice ahead of her but I bet she wows us. It’s very exciting isn’t it!

The 'Brides gallery of sketches are [without exception]drawn without any sense of proportion as to the nature of THIS Wedding, or [especially] the physical proportions of the Bride.. when I last looked Ms Markle wasn't a 7ft stick insect...

Last edited:
These dresses may be for fall and winter. However, exchange the long sleeves for short sleeves.

I don't think any of these designers are delusional enough to think they are going to be chosen as a non-British brand or with their aesthetic. It's marketing and fun first and foremost for them.

Not sure how to identify the dresses...but the 7th dress maybe? The one where she's standing in front of a brick/stone wall, you can see openings on each side (arches?). 3/4 sleeve looks like lace...lovely design even with a non-lace option.

LaRae

Whatever she does she will probably avoid anything that would compare her first wedding to this one, and avoid anything like Kate's dress. Along with avoid anything to close to the lower body...she has to curtsey and she doesn't want a 'Pippa moment'. LaRae (not a fan of the Bessette dress)

What was the 'Pippa moment'? :huh:

But this has nothing to do with a curtsey. :huh: I thought you were saying Meghan will have to curtsey and she doesn't want a 'Pippa moment'. Sounded like 'the moment' had to do with an attempted curtsey.

No. Pranter was simply stating there was two things to avoid : 1 an awkward curtsey made hard by a tight skirt (not impossible) 2. the butt chat that will follow if she has a body hugging dress like Pippa.

But this has nothing to do with a curtsey. :huh: I thought you were saying Meghan will have to curtsey and she doesn't want a 'Pippa moment'. Sounded like 'the moment' had to do with an attempted curtsey.

It wasn’t a curtsy. There were pictures of her lowering down to fix Kate’s dress, however. And curtsy does lower one down too.

No. Pranter was simply stating there was two things to avoid : 1 an awkward curtsey made hard by a tight skirt (not impossible) 2. the butt chat that will follow if she has a body hugging dress like Pippa.

Ah, I see. Understood. :flowers:

These dresses may be for fall and winter. However, exchange the long sleeves for short sleeves.

Actually I don't see why the long sleeves must be exchanged for short sleeves simply because it's a May wedding. Long sleeves can also work in the Spring season. Depends on the material.

Oh well, it's just me hoping for something that I like and that just fits the total picture. I guess I'd better wait until she turns up at St George's Chapel in her wedding gown! :lol:

And I hope Harry will wear his uniform (the same he wore at William's wedding), I bet it would make a stunning image.

I am assuming Harry would wear his uniform as it is common even for retired folks to do so for weddings, but maybe that isn't a set in stone thing? I certainly hope he does. Harry is very striking in uniform, less so in morning dress lol.

I have not been a huge fan of most royal wedding gowns, but Stephanie of Lux's gown was just amazing. It may be too much for Meghan, but I would be in thrilled if she wore something similar.

:previous: Stephanie wore an Elie Saab dress, I believe? I didn't particularly love her gown but I'm very much a fan of his style and would love to see Meghan in a dress with some real detail and/or embroidery. If she goes for a more "simple" gown then the style/fit and veil really needs that wow factor, imo. I think she can pull it off, certainly, but I'm still partial to the former.

Last edited:
:previous: Stephanie wore an Elie Saab dress, I believe? I didn't particularly love her gown but I'm very much a fan of his style and would love to see Meghan in a dress with some real detail and/or embroidery. If she goes for a more "simple" gown then the style/fit and veil really needs that wow factor, imo. I think she can pull it off, certainly, but I'm still partial to the former.

I used to love Stéphanie of Luxembourg's dress, but later the fact that she had an open back has turned it off for me. I know the veil covered a lot of it, but for me it's just not something that I find fitting.

And I agree with the bolded part. I can't say why, but I just feel that that would be necessary. Less is not always more. A (too) simple gown can also give a "meh, is this all she and the designer could come up with?" As has been the case with quite a gown the last decade or so.

She can never please everybody but it doesn't hurt to pull out the big guns.

I am assuming Harry would wear his uniform as it is common even for retired folks to do so for weddings, but maybe that isn't a set in stone thing? I certainly hope he does. Harry is very striking in uniform, less so in morning dress lol.

I have not been a huge fan of most royal wedding gowns, but Stephanie of Lux's gown was just amazing. It may be too much for Meghan, but I would be in thrilled if she wore something similar.

Yes I agree about Stephanie’s dress one of my top dresses. Very fitting for her position.

The venue is very important for choosing the right dress. I am thrilled that Saint George’s chapel was chosen. It is very “vertical “ of course because of the architecture and that should be taken into account. Also, she is shorter than average so not looking lost in a dress or venue will be looked at I am sure. Princess Margaret and her dil Serena,both petite, wore updos,tiaras, and necklines which solved this, imo

I'm glad you identified who was being referenced because I was clueless. :huh: More than that, I have no memory of her 'style' whatsoever. I am aware she was married to JFK Jr and there was always a buzz about him (and then her) but I didn't pay attention. It seemed to be an interest of my mother and aunts, that generation. I seriously doubt Carolyn is on Meghan's radar. JMO. ;)

Meghan's actually mentioned her wedding dress specifically in an interview before. She was a pretty big deal in 90s. Not surprised Meghan would know of her style as she would've been in her teens by then.

I don't think Meghan wakes up in the morning and says hmm, what would Carolyn Bassett Kennedy pair with this? But Meghan's comment is really about the minimalist style that Carolyn used a lot. She didn't do a lot prints. Not very fussy designs.

Last edited:
The venue is very important for choosing the right dress. I am thrilled that Saint George’s chapel was chosen. It is very “vertical “ of course because of the architecture and that should be taken into account. Also, she is shorter than average so not looking lost in a dress or venue will be looked at I am sure. Princess Margaret and her dil Serena,both petite, wore updos,tiaras, and necklines which solved this, imo

Is 5'7" 'shorter than average'? :huh: I think 5'7" is considered average these days.

Philippa Lepley is The Wedding Dress Designer to see in London.

I believe that the average height for a woman in the UK is 5 foot 4. Women are getting taller so it's creeping up an inch or so per generation. But if Meghan is 5 foot 7, she is not 'short.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom