European Fashion/Royal Fashion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurberryBrit

Serene Highness
City
onthenet
Country
United States
What do you think constitutes European fashion? Is it a different style from what royals wear? Does it vary by country (french, italian, etc)

From the pics on here, I see royals wearing a lot of unique hats, shift dresses, skirt suits, jewelry, very Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffany's.

Is that accurate?

Very interesting "BB"...

As I am from Australasia I really cant give an accurate account of what dictates European fashion although I am exposed to it through media, television & internet sites...Not forgetting the few pieces I have in my wardbrobe (Thankgod for designer boutique stores & online shopping :) ;) :D).

Royal fashion though (to me) is quite varied throughout Europe.

"MII"

Personally I think British women, could learn alot from some of our European counterparts when it comes to fashion. Spanish, French and Italian women in particular always look good. I can remember when I went to Barcelona I didn't see a single woman who wasn't immaculately dressed.

One thing I noticed last time I went to Majorca, the look there was very tailored, fitted coat, nice top and lovely trousers and always with great accessories.

Europeans seem to be into items with flair, moreso than Americans. Such as hats, draped shawls, silk scarves, etc. You can always tell when you're around a european by their style.

I am curious as to your opinion: from what you know, are most European women of all classes slender or is it mainly the wealthier classes? I also agree with Burberry Brit that European women just seem to have more "flair" or individuality in their dressing than Americans. I have two friends, one from Spain, one from France, who I see while doing the "school run" and they always just look more put together than most of the American moms -- not that we are slobs -- they just had more "flair"; always looked nice even though neither is a real standout in physical beauty....although they are both slender.

BurberryBrit said:
Europeans seem to be into items with flair, moreso than Americans. Such as hats, draped shawls, silk scarves, etc. You can always tell when you're around a european by their style.

I completely agree with you.

Americans tend to be more casual when it comes to dressing. Even our evening wear is more elegantly laid back in comparison with our European friends.

British women, from my standpoint, tend to dress more smart (this has nothing to do with intelligence either.) Regards to the European continent dress, women there are definitely dress up. Whether it's going to the market, strooling in the park, or having lunch in a cafe around the corner European woman love to dress up. I admire that.:)

BurberryBrit said:
What do you think constitutes European fashion? Is it a different style from what royals wear? Does it vary by country (french, italian, etc)
Well from my observation, it really does depends on "where" they come from. For example, all European women are much better dressed than Americans. In both work wear and casual wear. Spain, Italy, in particular comes to mind for their leather goods (shoes, jackets, purses). they are always well made. These things in particular always make a pair of cheap jeans and a shirt look great. In England I found sweaters, gloves, & scarves to be very well made and very beautiful. Which in turn makes jeans or an inexpensive pair of slacks look great.
I also found that most if not the majority of European women wear shoes with some sort of heel which in turn gives everything a more polished pulled together look. Rarely have I seen a European lady wear a pair of tennis shoes!
But in regards to being either Royal or European, I think their "style" depends mostly on thier personality, their likes and dislikes. For example, my style is mostly like Prss Letiza and Prss Mathild. I would wear their daywear to my office. I always wear 3.5 in stilettos to work like Letiza & Mary.
But when it comes to casual, weekend wear, it's all American! Sweat pants, tennis shoes and a sweater of some sort during cold weather. Shorts and a t-shirt w/flip flops during the summer.
So, my very wordy opinion is that it really depends on the "where" and not the "Royalty:D

Emily said:
I am curious as to your opinion: from what you know, are most European women of all classes slender or is it mainly the wealthier classes? I also agree with Burberry Brit that European women just seem to have more "flair" or individuality in their dressing than Americans. I have two friends, one from Spain, one from France, who I see while doing the "school run" and they always just look more put together than most of the American moms -- not that we are slobs -- they just had more "flair"; always looked nice even though neither is a real standout in physical beauty....although they are both slender.

I can't really say if most Euro women of all classes are slender or not. But supposedly, America is the "fattest" nation, so it's possible? I think being slim definitely adds to the Euro look, but I don't think it's mandatory. . .

GlitteringTiaras said:
I completely agree with you.

Americans tend to be more casual when it comes to dressing. Even our evening wear is more elegantly laid back in comparison with our European friends.

British women, from my standpoint, tend to dress more smart (this has nothing to do with intelligence either.) Regards to the European continent dress, women there are definitely dress up. Whether it's going to the market, strooling in the park, or having lunch in a cafe around the corner European woman love to dress up. I admire that.:)

I wonder if that has something to do with lifestyle? Like maybe life is more laid back in Europe? I don't know; I've never been there. But I think Americans are very trendy. We tend to go for the look of the moment, whereas European fashionistas care more about style, fabric, cut, TIMELESSNESS, than what's hot at the moment.

sesa said:
Well from my observation, it really does depends on "where" they come from. For example, all European women are much better dressed than Americans. In both work wear and casual wear. Spain, Italy, in particular comes to mind for their leather goods (shoes, jackets, purses). they are always well made. These things in particular always make a pair of cheap jeans and a shirt look great. In England I found sweaters, gloves, & scarves to be very well made and very beautiful. Which in turn makes jeans or an inexpensive pair of slacks look great.
I also found that most if not the majority of European women wear shoes with some sort of heel which in turn gives everything a more polished pulled together look. Rarely have I seen a European lady wear a pair of tennis shoes!
But in regards to being either Royal or European, I think their "style" depends mostly on thier personality, their likes and dislikes. For example, my style is mostly like Prss Letiza and Prss Mathild. I would wear their daywear to my office. I always wear 3.5 in stilettos to work like Letiza & Mary.
But when it comes to casual, weekend wear, it's all American! Sweat pants, tennis shoes and a sweater of some sort during cold weather. Shorts and a t-shirt w/flip flops during the summer.
So, my very wordy opinion is that it really depends on the "where" and not the "Royalty:D

I heard that about the sneakers somewhere too: that the fastest way to get identified as an American tourist is to wear sneakers. lol I'm in school and on a budget so my true style is very classic, but my class schedule and budget is very American (comfort clothes).

I agree with Burberry Brit about Americans going for the trend and Europeans going for the classic/timelessness look. I prefer the European look while dressing up, but if I'm having a casual lunch with a friend I prefer the American sneakers. :D Being from southern California, I'm exposed to all of the "hottest" trends in America straight from Hollywood and sometimes I just want to hop onto a plane and head for Italy, Spain, somewhere else where tacky fashion is not fashionable!:eek: :cool:

BurberryBrit said:
I heard that about the sneakers somewhere too: that the fastest way to get identified as an American tourist is to wear sneakers. lol I'm in school and on a budget so my true style is very classic, but my class schedule and budget is very American (comfort clothes).

That's so true! I always recognize American tourists by their sneakers. (That's one thing I would never wear myself, btw). :) I think the Dutch aren't that fashionable though, but I lived in Paris and there everybody is always very well dressed, something I liked very much, because that's something I like to do myself too. I just can't imagine wearing baggy pants, sneakers and a jersey sweater, even when I'm alone in the house and there's nobody around who can see me. Not that I'm a fashionista, btw. Not at all! But I like to go shopping for some real classic and stylish stuff, as a lot of my friends do too. I love wearing skirts and scarfs, for example. Don't know if this is very European, for me it's merely something I do because it feels good. My sister is totally different by the way, she loves the baggy pants! (Ugh... ;))

From what I've seen when I've been in the US, I think most of the women dress as badly as most English women, if not worse. Although having said that the Germans aren't exactly renowned for their sense of style either!

Last edited:
have in mind "europe" is not a country with the same traditions and history each country has its own tradition culture and history and that goes also for fashion

"have in mind "europe" is not a country with the same traditions and history each country has its own tradition culture and history and that goes also for fashion"

Very true, which is why I mentioned specific countries in my post.

Excellent points about fashion! I can't wait to visit these various places in my travels and see how fashion varies from country to country.

And Maxie, as far as the sneakers, there was a point where I would NEVER wear sneaker out. I mean never. I don't know why, but it wasn't something that I liked to wear. After breaking my ankle, though, I had to go back to comfortable shoes. But I'm discovering there's a lot of cute flats or low heel/kitten heel shoes out there. You just have to grab them when you see them.

US women are pretty casual but I think Australian women are the most casual and dont care that much. There much more relaxed and just dont care.

Are Australians more sporty? I just have the impression of all Australians being into the "Outback" and into hiking, climbing, kayaking, etc. I don't know WHERE I got that impression from, though. . . :confused:

I live in Canada and I find North Americans in general to dress much more casual than Europeans. I was in Italy over christmas break and I noticed how nicely dressed everyone was. All the women wore heels and dress clothes and all the men wore dress winter coats and scarfs. The whole time of I was there I never saw anyone wearing sweatpants! At home I see tons of people wearing sweatpants everyday.

I enjoy the thoughts on this thread! So -- I am wondering - when you think of European royals who epitomize European style -- who are they and what specifically about the way they dress makes them have that style in your opinion? I know there are differences between countries, like there are differences between regions in the US but barring that, I'd be curious to know opinions.

nayeli0016 said:
I'm sorry to place this question here in this thread, I honestly don't know where to place such question actually! I noticed this certain type of shoes worn by most male royals, especially the younger ones, it really is so difficult to describe - they're like a Hush Puppies type of shoes. I just want to know what they're called.
Attached is a picture of Prince Amedeo and he's wearing the shoes that I'm referring to. :) I hope someone could help me figure out what those pair of shoes are called. :)

They are calles moccasins. They are very classy yet casual. Shoes tell you a lot abot a person and this type of shoe is no exception-the person that wears this type of this shoe would be and want to be thought of as well bed and cultured, confident, mannered and in MOST male cases fabulously rich.:D

Thank you so much for the swift reply to my question Lil_princess_lost! So that's what they're called. I did see those type of shoes in the movie The Prince and Me, where Prince Edvard was wearing them. They're so classy.
And you're absolutely right when you say that those men who wear such pair of shoes want to be thought of as well-bred, cultured, confident and most of all, well-mannered men. :)

Emily said:
I enjoy the thoughts on this thread! So -- I am wondering - when you think of European royals who epitomize European style -- who are they and what specifically about the way they dress makes them have that style in your opinion? I know there are differences between countries, like there are differences between regions in the US but barring that, I'd be curious to know opinions.

I think a lot of royals have great style. As far as casual, day-to-day style, I like Charlotte Casiraghi and CP Mary. As far as suits, gowns and hats, I like Maxima a lot. Ths few pics I've seen of Princess Angela show her to be quite stylish as well.

American v European Dress

theprincess said:
I live in Canada and I find North Americans in general to dress much more casual than Europeans. I was in Italy over christmas break and I noticed how nicely dressed everyone was. All the women wore heels and dress clothes and all the men wore dress winter coats and scarfs. The whole time of I was there I never saw anyone wearing sweatpants! At home I see tons of people wearing sweatpants everyday.

I went to a trade show in 1999 in Toronto and saw both the men and women dressed more than Americans. Men were in coats and ties, women in skirts. The women looked very nice.

Americans are "cas'" dressers, especially in California. "Casual Friday" is an important ritual. Its comfortable, but Canada is a much more intact society than the USA. I believe the standard of dress (and cleanliness and courtesy) show a society that weathered the turmoil of 40 years ago and came out in one piece whereas the USA started to splinter, a process that is accelerating today.

Maybe Canada has gone more cas' in the seven years since I was there. I can understand why, but hope not. Standards of dress imply standards of civilty and civilization.

Last edited:
I'm going to Paris in a couple of weeks and have some money to get some clothes.

Would what you suggest I wear in Paris to fit in and not look too touristy?

ysbel said:
I'm going to Paris in a couple of weeks and have some money to get some clothes.

It does'nt matter where you are; always wear your clothes with confidence, you individual style and lotsa attitude:cool: . Back to the theme of the thread I would just like to say that my favorite royal house of dressers would have to be Denmark and Luxembourg- Denmark because it's very regal and royal yet accesible. And Luxembourg because it's old skool classy with a modern edge and I'm a sucker 4 old skool.

ysbel said:

It seems a lot of European women are into Pashminas/shawls tied aound the neck (CP Mary, Charlotte Casiraghi, etc). I love that look, but it took me a while to figure out how they tie it! I bet you can't go wrong with black, a pashmina for a splash of color, sunglasses and a well-made coat.

i think their style is of european upper class style,when they are on royal duty is vety puch style

I think it also depends on the city. For example I have noticed this in Spain. In Madrid people tend to dress in a smart way (fitted jackets, tailored pants, skirts)most of the time, whether they are shopping or working and I always try to look 'smart-casual' when I go out.

In Barcelona though, I always feel I can be more casual there! The people have a more laid back approach to fashion. (They always look amazing of course!) :cool:

I've heard comments about Princess Letizia's 'boring' style, but I think it works well. She always looks very smart and elegant and it fits in with the style many people choose to have in Spain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom