Dressing Standards and Protocols of Royal Houses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not everybody dressed with a hat is automatically better dressed as people without hats. Something we can see on Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands on an annual basis.

Last edited:
Not everybody dressed with a hat is automatically better dressed as people without hats. omething we can see on Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands on an annual basis.

:lol:
imo very true, but I think not everyone in this thread agrees with that, and does hold to the statement "hat is better than no hat"
maxima-beatrix2.jpg

Not everybody dressed with a hat is automatically better dressed as people without hats. omething we can see on Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands on an annual basis.

Of course, we have even seen yesterday (Easter Service in Windsor) that some "hats" are really eeeerhhhmmm... But is that the hat's fault or is it the lady who does not know how to dress properly? Not all ladies look good in diadems or in long gowns either. Scrap it all, then? All dresscodes overboard?

In my view they understood it. I expected Her Majesty The Queen of Spain to arrive at the Palace de l'Élysée dressed like a royal lady indeed. A bit more self-assured, not so drab, not so easily mistaken for an office clerk. Come on, show them you are La Reina de España !

:flowers:

:lol:
imo very true, but I think not everyone in this thread agrees with that, and does hold to the statement "hat is better than no hat"

Taste is in the eye of the beholder. Every outfit is open for discussion. Name them all: Victoria, Máxima, Catherine, Mathilde, Mette-Marit, Camilla, all of them have worn (or will wear) hits or misses. At least there is no confusion possible: they show what they are, they represent their House with verve and brio. I only hope Letizia will break out of the framework "I should dress as if I am still a newsreader". That is all. No more, no less.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: No, no, where there are hats there are nasty, evil little goblins who, with malice aforethought, lead our ladies astray, persuading them most grievously that a truly horrendous example such as that shown is indeed a millinery masterpiece when in fact it tops the list of crimes against millinery magnificence! :D

Of course, we have even seen yesterday (Easter Service in Windsor) that some "hats" are really eeeerhhhmmm... But is that the hat's fault or is it the lady who does not know how to dress properly? Not all ladies look good in diadems or in long gowns either. Scrap it all, then? All dresscodes overboard?

In my view they understood it. I expected Her Majesty The Queen of Spain to arrive at the Palace de l'Élysée dressed like a royal lady indeed. A bit more self-assured, not so drab, not so easily mistaken for an office clerk. Come on, show them you are La Reina de España !

:flowers:

I don't want to force anybody to stop wearing anything, neither do I want to force anybody to wear hats when they do not seem particulary keen on it.

It is possible to look very put together without a hat, as the Queen of Spain has shown on multiple occassions -as did her mother-in-law and many others. For example here or here :flowers:.

You are making a parody of Queen Letizia's style. Even though the outfit in Paris may have been underwhelming to some, she looked proper and certainly not like the assistant.

Last edited:
Not everybody dressed with a hat is automatically better dressed as people without hats. Something we can see on Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands on an annual basis.

Besides, as discussed before on TRF, hats are not that common in Spain. No one is more regal than Queen Sofia (based on her ancestry, I mean) and she rarely wears hats.

I hope that this tradition does not end in Spain. On the rare occasions that the ladies wear this traditional dress, it is very impressive.

I think traditional dress is wonderful from all countries. I enjoy seeing on their special country's events.

I hope that this tradition does not end in Spain. On the rare occasions that the ladies wear this traditional dress, it is very impressive.

The tradition of the ladies in the Royal Family dressing like this might be a thing of the past.

The tradition of the ladies in the Royal Family dressing like this might be a thing of the past.

Has Letizia ever worn a mantilla ? It's up to her to keep up the tradition IMHO.

Has Letizia ever worn a mantilla ? It's up to her to keep up the tradition IMHO.

Yes during her tenure as Princess of Asturias but since becoming queen the tradition has been discontinued.

http://www.zetaestaticos.com/aragon/img/noticias/0/188/188990_1.jpg

http://www.zoomnews.es/sites/default/files/images/old/letizia_mantilla_negra_getty.thumbnail.jpg

Letizia has also worn black lace mantillas at the Vatican.

http://www.diariofemenino.com/images/articulos/5000/5021/1.jpg

https://royalhats.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/2011-04-30-pope-jp-beautificationr.jpg?w=869

:previous: I think now that Letizia is Queen of Spain that is a given. She is well known for her dislike of many traditional roles and, as Princess of Asturias, went out of her way the dispense with as many as she could.

:previous: I think now that Letizia is Queen of Spain that is a given. She is well known for her dislike of many traditional roles and, as Princess of Asturias, went out of her way the dispense with as many as she could.
Please expand on "dislike of many traditional roles" and "went out of her way".

Changing dress codes?

Hello!

The last years I was wondering if the dress code within royal circles is changing.
In my opinion you can see this changes making progress at 2 examples:

Sneakers are becoming more and more common even at formal events.

Pantyhose are not a must have anymore as it used to be 10 or 20 years ago.

What do you think?

Therese

Last edited by a moderator:
No. The dress code is the same but flexible to comfort level according to the event. If the royals are touring tropical islands and it involves walking around for hours, they need to have comfort shoe wear and clothes. If they are in cold climates for an outside event, layers of clothes, gloves and boots (for females) are needed.

10 years ago pantyhose were a normal part of the style here in estonia, now they are not really any more and I lay odds this is due to the royal habits.

In my opinion the dresscode has not so changed, but the protocol of the events.

For an example: under President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing cravate blanche (white tie) was still the dresscode for State Banquets at the Palais de l'Élysée. Under President Jacques Chirac the dresscode was changed into cravate noire (black tie). Under Président François Hollande this was changed into cocktail dress/business suit.

As the host is the one to set the dresscode, the guests follow these. And then you see why some dresscodes have been changed, but more because of the hosts than because of the royals themselves.

Another change is that royal ladies have their own pet topics like micro credits, scouting, illiteracy, fighting child brides. A more activist and personal interest agenda. Then they do not dress as a Princess or as a Queen as they are not representing the Crown, the State, but follow their own personal agenda.

But these same ladies appear in full gear, in hats, gloves, long robes, grand jewels etc. when the nature of the event requires so.

Well I think it's a pity the nobody is wearing pantyhose anymore. There has been a time when it was considered as normal.

am i missing something? Is there a royal family in Estonia?

In England long opera gloves are worn for formal evening events such as state banquets.

several fashion questions regarding royal stylists

I could not find a thread to put this question/comment. Please move it to the appropriate thread.
I love the fashion of the Princess of Wales, particularly in the last couple of years. For me, she looks impeccable 99% of the time with excellent tailoring. She wears the clothing, instead of the clothing wearing her. However, there are some other royal ladies, who I won't name, who has fashion misses quite often, IMHO. They have every reason to look great in clothing, but it seems that, often, there is always something slightly off. A coat is too long, or a dress seems a little too big. I have to believe that most of them have stylists, so I don't understand why these stylists can't seem to get it right for them.
Well, that is not really a question but a comment. However, I would love to hear some thoughts as to why.

The second part of my question regards communication between stylists. Do the stylists of the ladies in the same royal family consult with each other so that their "clients" don't wear the same dress to the same event? I used to think that ladies higher up the hierarchy would have first access over those lower in the hierarchy of the Royal family. Except, in the British Royal Family, I have seen the Princess of Wales and Princess Beatrice wear the same dress, but to different events. How does that work? Do the stylists consult with each other? Does being higher up in the hierarchy give you first access to a designers clothing before someone below you in the hierarchy of a royal family? I have wondered about these things. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom